Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #751
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I wouldn't expect to know a country song - is that Martina Navratilova? But who did the second song? At least that one's something approximating rock and I should know the name, anyway.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #752
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's Martina McBride .
Old 04-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #753
Joe
Pro Starter

I dont know what song Bo sang.. but it sounded kinda familiar..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #754
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

gavin degraw
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #755
Joe
Pro Starter

ahh this is what i don't like. when they show that stupid shit about the contestants instead of using the time to let them do 2 songs.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #756
sabotai
General Manager

Constantine is trying to be hardcore while singing Nickelback.....ugh. I didn't think anyone could make me hate Nickelback more, but he's done it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #757
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For a rocker, that kid, Constantine, can't rock . Maybe he'd be better if he was drunk .
Old 04-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #758
TLK
Pro Starter

Paula seems almost sober today..... she's almost being a little critical.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #759
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Paula seems almost sober today..... she's almost being a little critical.

I bet they made her get her act together, with the allegations hitting the news in the past few days of her seducing contestants, drugs, etc.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #760
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
For a rocker, that kid, Constantine, can't rock . Maybe he'd be better if he was drunk .

He was awful. I think Simon's comments served the dual purpose of being truthful about this performance and subtly cutting him down to size because his band signed that contract.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-26-2005, 09:49 PM   #761
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yeah, some mediocre performances this week. Carrie finally performed a little bit, but man I hate country music. I thought Bo was fine, and Vonzell was pretty good.

I'd rank Scott's as one of the top 5 worst of the show (since they went to Final 12). Bottom three in my mind: Scott, Anthony, Constantine.

Scott finally goes home.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:59 PM   #762
Easy Mac

I only saw the first 5, so I missed Scott. Bo was easily the best of the first 5, it wasn't even close. He made the original seem like ass by comparison. After that, it was really a toss up for worst of the night. I will have to say Anthony didn't completely suck, and he had his best performance so far. Carrie sounded decent, nothing good, but nothing awful. Vonzell started the song horribly, it was atrocious. She hit the notes she needed to hit though, and that made her no worse than Carrie on the night. Constantine was ass. I hate the original version, but man, he sang it about as horribly as he could possibly sing it. From what I heard, Scott was unbelievably bad, but my girl hates him anyway, so its tough to tell.

Tonight's rankings:
1. Bo

2. Anthony (and believe me, this hurts to write this)

3. Vonzell (or Carrie)
4. Carrie (or Vonzell)

5. Constantine

undecided. Scott

Overall:
1. Bo (no logical reason he should lose)
2. Carrie (never bad, sometimes great, normally good)
3. Vonzell (never bad, never great, always good)
4. Constantine (Reminded me how much he sucked the first 3-4 weeks)
5. Anthony (Finally sounded decent, but he just sucks)
6. Scott (He can only dodge the bullet so many times)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:14 PM   #763
Daimyo
College Starter

I thought Constantine was terrible... that's a super easy song to sing and I don't think he did anything right. His was one of the worst performances in a final since early in season 1 IMO.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #764
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
1. Bo (no logical reason he should lose)

How about those three weeks in a row where he was mediocre to poor? While Bo is probably closest to the kind of music that I would buy and/or listen to, I think with this group it'll come down to taste. The final four should be Vonzell, Constantine, Carrie, and Bo. Out of those four, I can think of logical reasons for any of them not to win.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #765
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought everyone except Bo and Vonzell were terrible this week. I thought Bo was excellent and Vonzell was pretty good.

Carrie looked and sounded really bad to me this week.

Scott had one of the worst performances ever.

Constantine was smart to pick a popular song, but he didn't do well.

Anthony was Anthony. He sounds like a theme park singer.

I think the bottom three will be Scott, Anthony, and Carrie, with Scott going home.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 PM   #766
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I know you all secretly look forward to the weekly Solecismic American Idol Ratings. We're up to national syndication now, with a circulation only slightly lower than the Gigawatt Studios Amazing Race Travelogue.

This week's theme was songs you thought you've heard on the radio recently, but can't quite place. At least that's what it sounded like to those of us over the age of 17, which is, as I remember correctly, when Janis Ian learned the truth. You know, love was meant for beauty queens and brown-eyed girls in hand-me-downs, etc.

And this week, we learned that Vonzell has a deep appreciation for classical music, while Carrie has a deep appreciation for songs she already knows the words to. Both are exceptionally pretty girls, but I get the feeling that only one of them could find her way out if suddenly dropped by helicopter into the famous hedge maze of Hampton Court.

I make the reference to England in part because the English judge, Simon, wasn't at his best tonight. For once, Randy seemed to be on his game. Paula has switched from cocaine to prozac, but we did catch a glimpse of her making goo-goo eyes at Constantine, who, like Baseball Annie Savoy in Bull Durham, seems to have made her choice for the spring season.

"I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary, there are 108 stitches in a baseball, and there are 108 commercial interruptions in an hour of American Idol."

Luckily, we taped it (haven't taken the tivo plunge yet) so we fast-forwarded through the commercials and the intrepid reporting.

And, now, on to the ratings:

1. Anthony. Yeah, it's a mystery to me, too. I've hated this kid almost from day one, and he had a rough first ten seconds here. But he hit some pretty terrific combinations and sang with a little emotion tonight. Just a standout performance from someone I wrote off long ago. Score of 92.

2. Bo. He was in great form tonight, rocking the house down. It's just that I've seen this performance before. I think he's recovered from his slump a few rounds back, but I wish he'd try something that required more range. Sooner or later, I hope the judges call him on it. Score of 84.

3. Vonzell. It was an uneven performance, especially with the louder notes. She's so close to being very good, but when she gets loud, she loses her tone. Good enough to keep her going, though. Score of 77.

4. Carrie. Now, it was a bad week, especially for the bottom three. I agree with Randy, she was singing off-key. And I agree with the others that her song choice was uninspiring, and not just because it was more country than usual. She's been on a steady decline for five weeks now, and she'll be in some serious danger if she doesn't come up with something more representative of her vast talent next week. Score of 61.

5. Constantine. Just an insipid and boring rendition of the song. I couldn't wait for it to end. You saw why some thought he didn't belong in the final 24. He just isn't very good with rock songs. Score of 59.

6. Scott. He's back to being the human karaoke machine. That was dreadful, out of tune and really not that hard a song. Score of 44.

For the season...

1. Carrie. Average of 83.
2. Bo. Average of 80.
3. Constantine. Average of 79.
4. Vonzell. Average of 75.
5. Anthony. Average of 68.
6. Scott. Average of 67.

I believe it's Scott's turn to go. Joined by Vonzell and Anthony in the bottom 3. Constantine could make a surprise bottom 3 appearance.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:20 AM   #767
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I know you all secretly look forward to the weekly Solecismic American Idol Ratings. We're up to national syndication now, with a circulation only slightly lower than the Gigawatt Studios Amazing Race Travelogue.

This week's theme was songs you thought you've heard on the radio recently, but can't quite place. At least that's what it sounded like to those of us over the age of 17, which is, as I remember correctly, when Janis Ian learned the truth. You know, love was meant for beauty queens and brown-eyed girls in hand-me-downs, etc.

And this week, we learned that Vonzell has a deep appreciation for classical music, while Carrie has a deep appreciation for songs she already knows the words to. Both are exceptionally pretty girls, but I get the feeling that only one of them could find her way out if suddenly dropped by helicopter into the famous hedge maze of Hampton Court.

I make the reference to England in part because the English judge, Simon, wasn't at his best tonight. For once, Randy seemed to be on his game. Paula has switched from cocaine to prozac, but we did catch a glimpse of her making goo-goo eyes at Constantine, who, like Baseball Annie Savoy in Bull Durham, seems to have made her choice for the spring season.

"I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary, there are 108 stitches in a baseball, and there are 108 commercial interruptions in an hour of American Idol."

Luckily, we taped it (haven't taken the tivo plunge yet) so we fast-forwarded through the commercials and the intrepid reporting.

And, now, on to the ratings:

1. Anthony. Yeah, it's a mystery to me, too. I've hated this kid almost from day one, and he had a rough first ten seconds here. But he hit some pretty terrific combinations and sang with a little emotion tonight. Just a standout performance from someone I wrote off long ago. Score of 92.

2. Bo. He was in great form tonight, rocking the house down. It's just that I've seen this performance before. I think he's recovered from his slump a few rounds back, but I wish he'd try something that required more range. Sooner or later, I hope the judges call him on it. Score of 84.

3. Vonzell. It was an uneven performance, especially with the louder notes. She's so close to being very good, but when she gets loud, she loses her tone. Good enough to keep her going, though. Score of 77.

4. Carrie. Now, it was a bad week, especially for the bottom three. I agree with Randy, she was singing off-key. And I agree with the others that her song choice was uninspiring, and not just because it was more country than usual. She's been on a steady decline for five weeks now, and she'll be in some serious danger if she doesn't come up with something more representative of her vast talent next week. Score of 61.

5. Constantine. Just an insipid and boring rendition of the song. I couldn't wait for it to end. You saw why some thought he didn't belong in the final 24. He just isn't very good with rock songs. Score of 59.

6. Scott. He's back to being the human karaoke machine. That was dreadful, out of tune and really not that hard a song. Score of 44.

For the season...

1. Carrie. Average of 83.
2. Bo. Average of 80.
3. Constantine. Average of 79.
4. Vonzell. Average of 75.
5. Anthony. Average of 68.
6. Scott. Average of 67.

I believe it's Scott's turn to go. Joined by Vonzell and Anthony in the bottom 3. Constantine could make a surprise bottom 3 appearance.

I do secretly look forward to your scores

I agree that it is Scott's turn to go, and I do agree that tonight's performance was dreadful. However, I don't think it will/should be a surprise to see Constantine in the bottom 3 after tonight's horrid performance. I think Anthony was actually good enough to possibly avoid the bottom 3. However, I think it will either be him or Vonzell rounding out the bottom 3 tomorrow.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #768
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yes its a mystery to me too Jim, but I also put...

1. Anthony-Never thought I'd rank him here especially when I heard he was doing a Celine Dion song. But he did a good job with it, staying mostly in control of his voice. Unlike Randy, I like it when he sings the lower notes because he practically shouts the high notes. Performance probably saved him from another Bottom 3.

2. Bo-hated the shirt and sunglasses, but gave his usual solid performance. Song didn't really show off his voice though. He actually picked a song people recognized, and a popular one at that, as its the theme song of UPN's One Tree Hill. I don't know that might be enough to get him kicked off.

3. Carrie-didn't recognize the song until she got into the chorus, which isn't a good sign when you like country music. You could tell through her performance that she was much more comfortable with this song, but she just shouldn't be singing Martina McBride. Her voice just isn't good enough for her songs.

4. Constantine-Back to his rocker roots. Didn't particularly like the song, but I don't think he was terrible. Much prefer the crooner side as Randy said.

5. Vonzell-Yes give her credit for singing difficult songs, but I just thought she was all over the place vocally the last two songs. Very disappointed

6. Scott-God that was excruiating. Just not comfortable at all with the song or the performance. Hopefully this will be the end of him.

And mentioned above sort of, it appears kicked off contestant from an earlier Idol, Corey Clark, is trying to get a book deal for his "tell-all" behind the scenes stories of Idol, including his sexual relationship with Paula Abdul. Somehow I just can't bring myself to believe him.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #769
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

I've often wondered if this show is violating the FCC's 22 minutes of content per half hour of programming. I just don't want to sit there with a stopwatch wanting to verify this hypothesis either. Of course one could arguably say that the entire show is a commercial.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #770
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

I'm a Bo fan, and my wife even voted for him, but that was not a good performance last night. He and Constantine needed to swap songs. Neither had the one that fit his vocal style.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #771
Ksyrup

Do you guys vote? I've never even thought about it, to be honest. Of course, if they had a "vote for your least favorite," I'd probably be much more inclined.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #772
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Here are my thoughts from another week of AI:

First of all, I did not get home from work until 8:15 and so misseed the first two performances. As a side note, how would you guys and girls feel if your boss called you, from his hotel in Hawaii where he has been vacationing for the last ten days no less, to tell you to cancel your plans for the weekend because he and I need to work all weekend both days to get ready for a trial that we have scheduled about five weeks away. he also said to cancel plans for all the weekends form now until trial. I work weekends all the time, but there is something grating about having your boss call from the Aloha state to tell you how hard we have to work for the next month. I am obviously getting sidetracked. [You can learn more about this story by reading the upcomming "So I quit My Job Today" thread from Judicial Clerk.]

Anyhoo, I missed Carrie and Bo, but I did catch their recaps and I heard a smidge of Bo on AOL this morning. here is my analysis:

Carrie: I only caught a brief portion of her performance but I thought it was good. I recognized the song and I thought her beautiful voice came through and she seemed to be in her element. I think I like her better in 13 second incriments;

Bo: [Judicial Clerk]-"My name is Judicial Clerk, and I,... I have a man-crush on Bo Bice."
[HomerJSimpson, Ksyrup, Solecismic, Easy Mac, Eaglesfan 27]-"Hi Judicial Clerk"

I thought this was a good song choice for Bo, but could it be too good? I like this song and I liked Bo's rendition, but I thought his performance was better than his singing tonight. Bo really shines when he is forced to go outside his natural genre like he did last week. When he is allowed to play to his strengths, like when he sang Freebird, he disappoints slightly.

Vonzell: I liked her performance although I don't think I recognized the song. For some reason, I think that she is going to get squeezed out soon as her demographic will not grow as other singers get kicked off;

Anthony: The moment I heard the words "Celine Dion" I thought of FOFC. Specifically I thought of Quiksand's politically incorrect slur "do you also suck dick?" As I learned from QS and others, asking Anthony if, in addition to singing Celine Dion songs, does he also suck dick could be construed as hurtful to homosexuals for some reason. So I will not ask if Anthony does indeed suck dick. Big Dick. Asking him if he wants to hit from the ladies tee on the next hole almost seems to work, but it doesn't quite fit. maybe someone can link directly to the other thread;

Constantine: Performance was good, but again his voice is mediocre. Ok, I've got one for you. How do you get Constantine off of your porch? You turn off your TV camera. Get it? Get it? No? You turn off the Camera? Ok, how bout this one, a mosquito is to a bug zapper as Constantine is to a TV Camera. What, too much like an SAT question?

Full Metal Jacket: I didn't recognize the song, and it was not his best performance. I agree with Simon that he needs to pack his bags. The real question is when he goes, is he going to "take anybody with him." "Hey Joker ..."

Last edited by judicial clerk : 04-27-2005 at 10:57 AM.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #773
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Posted on Wed, Apr. 27, 2005

The 'Idol' phenomenon this season is Savol, whose presence has caused "online brawls" over his looks, his ability and his past.

ON TV

Unsinkable Idol unsavory to some

FOX SHOW'S FANS HAVE OVERLOOKED SINGER'S FAULTS, SO FAR

By Jamie Gumbrecht

HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

People are tired of hearing about high gas prices, Social Security and filibusters in Congress, but there's another topic keeping Americans buzzing.

Who is this Scott Savol guy? And how has this chubby, pasty-faced R&B crooner with a smart mouth and bad clothes managed not to be voted off American Idol?

The answers reveal what young America really idolizes, and where its allegiances lie: With the underdog, the regular guy, the one who doesn't stand a chance.

The Fox network's singing competition consistently earns top ratings, drawing nearly 25 million viewers every week, while its judges are household names.

But the phenomenon this season is Savol, the 28-year-old thuggish back-talker, whose presence on the show has caused "online brawls" over his looks, his ability and his past. The devotion to certain contestants goes beyond loyalty to political parties, sports teams and cell phone plans. Many fans will spend hours calling in votes for their favorite, but may never have set foot in a real polling booth.

"People take it seriously," says Ashley Stamper, 31, a fan from Lexington. "I can get on these message boards at 2 a.m. or 8 a.m. and find people talking about it."

Savol doesn't look, sound or act like any of American Idol's great successes over the past three seasons, from perky Kelly Clarkson to lovable Ruben Studdard to sassy Fantasia Barrino. He can even be a little scary, as he was the night he rebuked judge Simon Cowell for blasting his rendition of the Hall & Oates song She's Gone.

The Shaker Heights, Ohio, resident was among Idol's 12 finalists, but often hit the bottom three -- purgatory for that week's lowest vote-getters and just one step from elimination. Still, fans keep him in contention, American Idol's very own singing anomaly.

"He's the antithesis of what the American Idol competition wants," says Dan Fienberg, who covers the show for entertainment Web site Zap2it.com. "You can't see a situation in which a promoter can look at him and say 'I know just what I'm going to do with him.' He clearly is not warm and fuzzy."

In fact, Fienberg says, "nobody was surprised when the domestic violence records were dug up."

In March, a 2001 police report detailing a violent fight between Savol and his girlfriend surfaced, which could have spelled an end to his Idol career. Past contestants have been booted for such incidents as assault allegations, drunken driving and appearing nude on a Web site.

But the singer was spared: "After reviewing the facts, in which the charges were reduced to disorderly conduct, we felt that considering Scott's honesty and his remorse, the situation did not warrant his disqualification," a Fox statement said.

He's sorry. He's changed.

Still, women denounced the singer on the show's Internet message boards and public opinion bottomed out. Could a man with a history of domestic violence, even one who was allegedly rehabilitated, be an idol?

"I certainly can't get past that when I look at him," says TK Logan, an associate professor of behavioral science at the University of Kentucky. "We need to be talking to our teenagers about this stuff, saying this is not good behavior, not acceptable."

He's lucky, culture hawks clucked. But just wait till the voting public has their say. And they did last week, sending home bright-eyed schoolteacher Anwar Robinson instead.

Still, Savol's luck could run out soon -- maybe tonight, when this week's results will keep only five contestants.

His performance last night of Luther Vandross's Dance With My Father didn't sit well with judges. Cowell suggested he pack his suitcase.

But as Fox keeps the votes under wraps, there's no telling who makes up Savol's (apparently large) fan base.

Some see genuine talent, if not a voice capable of winning.

"He's got a good voice, but I don't see a third R&B winner in three years," says DJ Doug Banks, whose syndicated radio show airs on WBTF-107.9 FM in Lexington. "Some people think he'll really be the one to come through and shine, but Fantasia set the bar so high."

So, if not talent, maybe it's that Savol is a regular guy, neither a looker nor a lady's man.

"He's not particularly articulate or attractive, can't dance, can't grow facial hair and at times, has a voice that's quite nice. On a checklist, he has just one box," Fienberg says. "People think that with a few extra pieces of talent, they could be him."

Or, maybe that he could be one of them. It's tough for many overweight people to intentionally put themselves in the spotlight, says Peggy Howell, spokeswoman for the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. Savol may be an inspiration to some.

Some vote for the campy satisfaction of putting the geekiest guy in school on homecoming court. Or, it's a chance to beat the system: Votefortheworst.com encourages people to keep the show interesting by holding onto the least qualified contestant. This season, they've endorsed Savol.

"It's not because we hate Scott. Obviously we enjoy the show or we wouldn't watch it," says Dave Della Terza, 22, who runs the Web site. "Since you can't vote against someone, we're not negating votes. It's no less legitimate than voting for your favorite person. It's just fun."

Thus, Savol becomes American Idol's Ralph Nader, inspiring loathing or devotion, drawing votes that might have gone to a more realistic candidate.

"He doesn't have the complete package," says Stamper, the Idol fan and a nursing student at Eastern Kentucky University. "But people want to see the underdog win."

Savol was among Stamper's early favorites, but Vonzell Solomon and Carrie Underwood trounced him, she says.

Underdogs and regular guys are fine, Stamper says, but they're not idols.

"What's going on to keep him here?" she asks. "I guess you don't see many chunky white boys with a voice like that."

hxxp://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/11498641.htm
Old 04-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #774
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Posted on Wed, Apr. 27, 2005

The 'Idol' phenomenon this season is Savol, whose presence has caused "online brawls" over his looks, his ability and his past.

ON TV

Unsinkable Idol unsavory to some

FOX SHOW'S FANS HAVE OVERLOOKED SINGER'S FAULTS, SO FAR

By Jamie Gumbrecht

HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

People are tired of hearing about high gas prices, Social Security and filibusters in Congress, but there's another topic keeping Americans buzzing.

Who is this Scott Savol guy? And how has this chubby, pasty-faced R&B crooner with a smart mouth and bad clothes managed not to be voted off American Idol?

The answers reveal what young America really idolizes, and where its allegiances lie: With the underdog, the regular guy, the one who doesn't stand a chance.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH............

Time for the bag of donuts to go.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #775
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Do you guys vote? I've never even thought about it, to be honest. Of course, if they had a "vote for your least favorite," I'd probably be much more inclined.

I have voted for Carrie every week
Old 04-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #776
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

I voted for George Huff one week last year. Haven't felt the urge to vote for anybody this year, I want them all to lose.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:46 PM   #777
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I voted for George Huff one week last year. Haven't felt the urge to vote for anybody this year, I want them all to lose.

George is awesome.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #778
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:

I've never voted before. I tried once or twice this season to vote for Carrie but the number was constantly busy.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #779
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
I have voted for Carrie every week
Yep, multiple times. Also voted for several others from time to time and voted last year for Diana as well. I almost started a poll asking this question before.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #780
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

You know about my (failed) Mikalah campaign. I never voted before that week, haven't voted since.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #781
TLK
Pro Starter

Paula Abdul Responds to 'Idol' Allegations

Wed Apr 27,12:47 PM ET
Entertainment - AP Gossip/Celebrity

NEW YORK - Paula Abdul is taking pre-emptive measures to squash a controversy sparked by an upcoming ABC special on "American Idol."

AP Photo

Canadian Press
Slideshow: American Idol

Though the exact nature of the "Primetime Live" special, "Fallen Idol," remains unknown, ABC has said it will "explore explosive claims about behind-the-scenes activities" at the Fox talent contest.

Reports have speculated that it will hinge on Corey Clark, a contestant who was dropped from the show in 2003 after producers learned about a past arrest. He is reportedly trying to sell a tell-all book about his experiences with the program, including an alleged affair with Abdul, one of the three judges on the show.

On Tuesday, a spokesperson for Abdul released a statement to syndicated entertainment show "Access Hollywood":

"Paula Abdul will not dignify the false statements made by Corey Clark with a response. Mr. Clark is an admitted liar and opportunist who engages in unlawful activities. He is communicating lies about Paula Abdul in order to generate interest in a book deal."

Further, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday that Abdul's lawyer, Marty Singer, has sent a letter to ABC threatening legal action if the network airs the special.

Simon Cowell, the show's more critical judge, defended Abdul on the syndicated entertainment show "Extra" Tuesday.

"Paula, to be fair to her, will spend more time backstage with the contestants giving encouragement. But that's not a bad thing," Cowell said. "I think (the accusations) are rubbish. I think this is a guy who's out there to publish a book."

The third judge, Randy Jackson, and host Ryan Seacrest also appeared on programs Tuesday to defend Abdul and "American Idol."

Efforts by The Associated Press to reach Clark have been unsuccessful.

Clark was booted from the show for not disclosing that he was facing assault charges for allegedly assaulting his teenage sister and resisting arrest. He later pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of obstructing the legal process.

The hourlong "Primetime Live" report by anchor John Quinones is scheduled May 4 (10 p.m. ET).

No mention was made of the ABC special on Tuesday night's episode.

One of the remaining six contestants was to be eliminated Wednesday night.

Last edited by TLK : 04-27-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #782
Swaggs
Coordinator

Nice random shot of Clay Aitken.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #783
Schmidty
Coordinator

My wife votes for Bo like 50 times every week. I mock her about it mercilessly.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:46 PM   #784
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
My wife votes for Bo like 50 times every week. I mock her about it mercilessly.

Ditto. Except the part about me mocking her.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #785
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe Scott was actually in the top 3.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #786
Joe
Pro Starter

wtf. this show pisses me off. another week with scott.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #787
TLK
Pro Starter

Bobby Hill lives to see another week... Think Anthony knows he's screwed right now?

Last edited by TLK : 04-27-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #788
KWhit
Coordinator

Scott "Serial Killer" Savol sucks.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #789
KWhit
Coordinator

That is silly.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #790
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ford ripped off Mitsubishi!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #791
Joe
Pro Starter

constantine is gone. i'm not that surprised, just that scott outlasted him.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #792
KWhit
Coordinator

Constantine is better than Anthony, Scott, and Vonzell, IMO. He shouldn't be gone this early.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #793
TRO
College Prospect

Well, Constantine blew on Tuesday, surprisingly he delivered a very strong performance after elimination on Wednesday. He seemed to connect to the song better.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #794
Ksyrup

If this isn't a referendum on Nickelback, I don't know what is.

I don't get Scott's fan base. Let's review...the guy's fat and ugly, but without even 1% of Reuben's personality; he's beaten a girlfriend, had a kid at a young age and out of wedlock...does he dominate the trailer trash segment of the voting population? Is there a coordinated effort to keep him on the show to make the show look bad, like some secret voting alliance of college kids across the country? At least last year with John Stevens, it was understandable, since grandmas and young girls could be forgiven for keeping him on the show a few weeks too long. But Scott's now in the top 5, and should have been gone 5 weeks ago. A real head-scratcher.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #795
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Scott "Serial Killer" Savol sucks.
Just plain wrong, he's been on OVER A MONTH too long.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #796
Ksyrup

BTW, Constantine deserved to be in the bottom 3, because he was really bad. But you have to judge all of their performances together at this point, so he didn't deserve to go just on that fact alone.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #797
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

I don't get Scott's fan base. Let's review...the guy's fat and ugly, but without even 1% of Reuben's personality; he's beaten a girlfriend, had a kid at a young age and out of wedlock...does he dominate the trailer trash segment of the voting population? Is there a coordinated effort to keep him on the show to make the show look bad, like some secret voting alliance of college kids across the country? At least last year with John Stevens, it was understandable, since grandmas and young girls could be forgiven for keeping him on the show a few weeks too long. But Scott's now in the top 5, and should have been gone 5 weeks ago. A real head-scratcher.

Agreed completely, except I like Nickelback.

Here's what I think it is. The majority of the people who vote on this show are more geared toward pop than rock music. However, I suspect this season has brought in some fans of the rock genre. At the beginning, it was poised to be a Bo versus Constantine to see who could grab the rock fan vote. It was a battle Constantine couldn't win, and he did the smart thing. He branched out, showed a little flexibility, and did a nice job on things that were surprises for many people. He began to capture a different demographic. Last night, he didn't excite that demographic but instead would have been depending on the rock fans again for support to keep him in the competition. In the end, I just don't think there are enough rock fans that watch this show (and vote) to sustain two rockers in the top 5.

Just my $.02

Last edited by Cuckoo : 04-27-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #798
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well, the trailer trash, having a kid at a young age and out of wedlock worked for Fantasia last year. Maybe Scott has the same fan base. He could win this thing!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #799
Mota
College Benchwarmer

What a crime. I told my wife I didn't even want to watch the show anymore.

Of course, I'll be there next Tuesday night.

But when we get to the stage when they start singing 2 songs each, if Anthony and Scott are still around I may have to self-mutilate.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #800
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Simon's comment last night galvanized anyone who likes Scott even a little bit. People vote for the contestant they think needs it. Last night Scott needed votes, so the people who liked him voted for him.