Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #751
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Thanks, now I know how people who have never played ootp feel.

So, just picking Scottland, third division is ok? What about "extra detail"? Leave the players loaded from selected divisions.

What about "show unique id's"? what is that option?

Thanks,

Todd

I would uncheck that option. It shows the player id number instead of the player's team and position on their player card.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 PM   #752
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

by Godzilla Blitz
but I'm playing with fictional players

I missed this, I give this a go oneday.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:43 PM   #753
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I left it unchecked, now it's time to just mess around while I learn the game some.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #754
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just recieved mine in the mail as well!! I'm all setup with the patch, stone skin, and a few other things.

What options do you guys turn on?

I changed to US Dollar
format to mm/dd/yyyy
yearly wages
checked the boxes for background pics and unique id's

Are these correct to adjust?

Thanks,

Todd

I refuse to play with dollars- british pounds only- and british date format. ITs football.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:29 PM   #755
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I tried playing with pounds, but eventually decided I just prefer Dollars better. I use weekly wages, but really those options are just a matter of preference.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:30 PM   #756
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just walked into a GameStop and bought Worldwide Soccer Manager 2005 tonight. Will install and play tomorrow. If anyone can quickly give me some suggestions on what I should download before installation (since this thread has 16 pages, it might be hard for me to find the information in it), I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:40 PM   #757
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'd also recommend a logo download that adds logos for a lot more leagues and competitions.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:44 PM   #758
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Definitely install the Worldside Soccer Manager patch. Other than that, I like and recommend the stone skin and the chrome pro soccer ball.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:10 AM   #759
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I missed the Stone skin discussion... but even when I saw it it seemed very confusing. Can someone give a step-by-step?

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 12-31-2004, 12:58 AM   #760
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

With the WSM patch...did they do anything to fix the MLS?
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 01:53 AM   #761
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Kyle,

There are a few sites you can download it from. I actually found it by Googling "Stone Skin" The file has a readme which explains how to make it left handed or right handed (i.e. which side the menu appears on)

Sharpieman,

They fixed a few things, but not much. Supposedly, the MLS is going to get much more attention in the next patch (no estimated date of when that will be done.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-31-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:42 AM   #762
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
They fixed a few things, but not much. Supposedly, the MLS is going to get much more attention in the next patch (no estimated date of when that will be done.)

When they release the next version

And I think Adu being able to play for DC was the main MLS thing changed in the patch
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:03 AM   #763
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky
A question. sometimes on throw-ins, my player throws down the line to the other teams player. Could it be that this player is totally clueless on throw-ins? Rating for long throws is 14.

No, that's likely because the game has been stopped to let an injured player be treated. It's good sportmanship to give the ball back in those cases.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:27 AM   #764
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
No, that's likely because the game has been stopped to let an injured player be treated. It's good sportmanship to give the ball back in those cases.
Incidentally on the 'flip-side' .... You'll occassionally see players 'playing on' and going for goal when the opposition has a player down - if the player isn't particularly sporting ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #765
3ric
College Starter

I think Fabio Capello said Juventus players weren't going to put the ball out of bounds anymore, since so many players fake injuries to stop play. It's happening all to frequently IMHO.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:39 AM   #766
Flasch186
Coordinator

so WSM is FM '05?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:40 AM   #767
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have the stonefinal.zip file if anyone needs it.

tmvolm AT centurytel.net

Todd
Old 12-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #768
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I have the stonefinal.zip file if anyone needs it.

tmvolm AT centurytel.net

Todd

just realized I also have it on my gmail account. Anobody who wants it can PM me their email address...

FM
Old 12-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #769
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
so WSM is FM '05?

yes
Old 12-31-2004, 10:46 AM   #770
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Other than that, I like and recommend the stone skin and the chrome pro soccer ball.

as I just said, I have the stonefinal.zip, but also the chromepro ball on my gmail account. If anybody wants them, PM me your email address...

FM
Old 12-31-2004, 06:36 PM   #771
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Does anyone know if SI will fix the MLS in the next patch?
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:10 PM   #772
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Does anyone know if SI will fix the MLS in the next patch?

I think that Marc has suggested it will be fixed. I certainly hope it is.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:32 PM   #773
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Incidentally on the 'flip-side' .... You'll occassionally see players 'playing on' and going for goal when the opposition has a player down - if the player isn't particularly sporting ..

Mark, have you had a chance to look at the file I sent you? Haven't been able to play at all.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 12-31-2004 at 07:33 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:55 PM   #774
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Fabio Capello said Juventus players weren't going to put the ball out of bounds anymore, since so many players fake injuries to stop play. It's happening all to frequently IMHO.

you know, at one point this would have bothered me. But I think now I say "bravo to them." It's really ridiculous, especially in Italy, but it's rampant throughout the sport and needs to be addressed. I'd like to see something where if a player went down and forced a stoppage in play they had to come off the field for a minimum of 3 minutes say (for "treatment") , or be substitued immediately at that point. That'd put an end to it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:47 PM   #775
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm about to start playing FM (well, actually, WSM) for the first time! I have no idea which team I'm going to be, but wish me luck!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:53 PM   #776
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

for your first time, picking a fairly large team might be a good idea, so you have a chance to get immersed with all aspects of the game, and also so you have the talent to succeed for a little without getting canned.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #777
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Are FM third-party data updates usable with WSM? I guess I might not be starting my game tonight, unless somebody has an answer for me soon.

Edit: Aw, hell, I'm just going to play without the data update.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 01-01-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:57 AM   #778
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Are FM third-party data updates usable with WSM? I guess I might not be starting my game tonight, unless somebody has an answer for me soon.

Edit: Aw, hell, I'm just going to play without the data update.

Well, first of all, all data updates should work with WSM, as it is exactly the same game, except the title on the box is different and some of the initial settings have been reset to American-styled standards (month first in dates, Fahrenheit temperatures, $ instead of £ or Euros, etc.).

Second, I'm not too certain a data update is necessary. The game came out well after the close window, and no teams have made major moves since (since transfer windows for most leagues have been closed since August). And although there are always little quibbles and disagreements about the data in projects this ambitious, for the most part, the data in FM seems to be of the same generally high standard I have seen in past CM games, with players with the right clubs and ratings that seem to be level with their real world appreciation.

Have fun playing the game.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #779
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
you know, at one point this would have bothered me. But I think now I say "bravo to them." It's really ridiculous, especially in Italy, but it's rampant throughout the sport and needs to be addressed. I'd like to see something where if a player went down and forced a stoppage in play they had to come off the field for a minimum of 3 minutes say (for "treatment") , or be substitued immediately at that point. That'd put an end to it.

Brazil is the worst. They play such great soccer and then ruin the game by diving if someone nudges them. When FM legend Diego was still at Santos, I tried to watch as many games of them as I could and I was amazed at how often players in the Brazilian league fall down. I'd never play it out of bounds if I played there.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #780
Ragone
Pro Rookie

how is online play.. i'd like to get a game going with 1-2 other people sometime.. something smallish.. would be fun
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #781
3ric
College Starter

There was this situation in the CL game with Liverpool vs Olympiakos recently, Pool needed to win by two to make it to the second stage. Rivaldo scored the Greek's first goal on a free kick. Later in the game, he's tackled rather hard by Carragher close to the area and he's in absolute agony. He's writhing on the grass, and the trainers are coming on. That's when he jumps up and is going to prepare for hitting that free kick - with a solid chance of scoring again, considering he's one of the top free kick takers in the world.

But the referee is signaling he's going to have to leave the field! He's forever going to be my hero because of it. Rivaldo is furious, he really wants to hit that free kick, but as he "obviously" was badly hurt, he's going to the sidelines to get a chance to "recover".

When he's reached the sidelines, he's immediately signaling to come on the field but the referee dismisses him with a wave. I've never seen someone's play-acting hit back on him this way before - it was great! Even better still, Pool won 3-1 and made it to the second stage...
Old 01-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #782
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There was this situation in the CL game with Liverpool vs Olympiakos recently, Pool needed to win by two to make it to the second stage. Rivaldo scored the Greek's first goal on a free kick. Later in the game, he's tackled rather hard by Carragher close to the area and he's in absolute agony. He's writhing on the grass, and the trainers are coming on. That's when he jumps up and is going to prepare for hitting that free kick - with a solid chance of scoring again, considering he's one of the top free kick takers in the world.

But the referee is signaling he's going to have to leave the field! He's forever going to be my hero because of it. Rivaldo is furious, he really wants to hit that free kick, but as he "obviously" was badly hurt, he's going to the sidelines to get a chance to "recover".

When he's reached the sidelines, he's immediately signaling to come on the field but the referee dismisses him with a wave. I've never seen someone's play-acting hit back on him this way before - it was great! Even better still, Pool won 3-1 and made it to the second stage...

That is awesome!
Old 01-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #783
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Wow. I want to know who that ref is. I heart him.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #784
Scholes
High School Varsity

I created a European Super League with the editor and put it on holiday overnight to test it to see if everything ran smooth, etc. I was looking at the history of the Champions League, and noticed Parma's situation. Ouch. They aren't in the Superleague, but keep qualifying from Serie A. Take a look!

Bridesmaids
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #785
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

How the heck are you already in the 2010 season. Im only halfway into the 2004 season. Dah!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #786
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
How the heck are you already in the 2010 season. Im only halfway into the 2004 season. Dah!

in my case, being unemployed helps : 3 seasons in a week and a half, and I still have time to read, watch movies, eat etc... (and eventually look for a job, but since there are no offers...)
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #787
Scholes
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER

If you're talking about my screenshot, I mentioned that I ran it on holiday (simulation) mode overnight.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #788
Flasch186
Coordinator

i went to a bunch of stores today and found WSM NOWHERE. Where the hell is it?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #789
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Well, I'm playing as Exeter in the English Conference, and after trying out various tactics in pre-season friendlies, I start the real deal against Forest Green in my first match. We blew a 2-1 lead in the 88th minute, and then there were four minutes of injury time added on to the end. Late in the 93rd minute, one of my defenders ends up mishandling the ball along the touch line in my half of the pitch. We give Forest Green a throw-in. On the throw-in, the same defender trips the intended receiver. Forest Green gets a free kick. On the free kick, the same defender shoves a guy down in the area. We end up conceding a penalty kick in the 94th minute. Thankfully, the Forest Green player kicks the ball over the net, and we escape with a 2-2 draw. After the match, I gave the guy a warning for poor performance, and of course he thinks it's unfair. I have a feeling that I'll spend the entire season fighting with this guy.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #790
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

FWIW, just wanted to chime in some of the dynamic effects of praising players.

I had had a great goalkeeping battle, with a 21 year old (Sullivan Jous) battling the incumbent 25 year old (Jean-Daniel Padovani) for the #1 spot. Well, Padovani left a small window of opportunity near the end of the season, and Jous, as they say, "carpe diem"-ed his way into the starting position. He was playing very well, and stole us a few points. So I praised him in the media. Well, next thing I know Padovani feels I don't appreciate his contributions to the team.

I try giving him more playing time, and even praise HIM in the media, to no avail. Early the following season, he wants to be transfer listed.

Simply brilliant.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #791
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
FWIW, just wanted to chime in some of the dynamic effects of praising players.

I had had a great goalkeeping battle, with a 21 year old (Sullivan Jous) battling the incumbent 25 year old (Jean-Daniel Padovani) for the #1 spot. Well, Padovani left a small window of opportunity near the end of the season, and Jous, as they say, "carpe diem"-ed his way into the starting position. He was playing very well, and stole us a few points. So I praised him in the media. Well, next thing I know Padovani feels I don't appreciate his contributions to the team.

I try giving him more playing time, and even praise HIM in the media, to no avail. Early the following season, he wants to be transfer listed.

Simply brilliant.

Agreed. I'm amazed some of the interactions that occur. I'm always very careful about who I praise or criticize in the press.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #792
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Now in my second match, one of my opponents got yellow-carded very early for holding one of my players back when he was about to get a decent scoring chance. I'm sitting at halftime now with a 2-1 lead, but ever since that foul, it sounds like my home crowd has been booing whenever that guy has touched the ball since. Am I just hearing things?
Old 01-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #793
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed. I'm amazed some of the interactions that occur. I'm always very careful about who I praise or criticize in the press.

A thing I love is if you praise someone in the press and they score the next game the announcers talk about how the player's praise in the press is justified.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #794
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just need some free time to really get into this game.

Todd
Old 01-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #795
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

And then I got fired...

I'm genuinely angry about this.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #796
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ouch. I feel your pain. I'm going to be upset if/when I get fired from Harrogate.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #797
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Getting fired in these games is always a painful experience for me. I guess it's because I put so much time into building the squad and the tactics, and then all of that work can get thrown to waste. I understand that that's how the business works, so I guess that the game is doing a great job if it makes me feel that way after getting sacked.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #798
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

You can always 'cheat' by creating a new manager and puttting him where you started.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #799
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Getting fired in these games is always a painful experience for me. I guess it's because I put so much time into building the squad and the tactics, and then all of that work can get thrown to waste. I understand that that's how the business works, so I guess that the game is doing a great job if it makes me feel that way after getting sacked.

Exactly. I feel just like a real-life manager... I feel our team has good talent, and are even getting results, but then when I look at the table, we're in the relegation zone. Just very frustrating. I had really gotten my attack into a stride, and had a couple guys on hot scoring runs. Moreover, I had signed a young English winger who was just tearing things up on the left side, totally reviving our (previously) inept attack. In addition, I was ready to make some noise in the transfer window.

Anyone ever overridden the firing?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #800
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Now in my second match, one of my opponents got yellow-carded very early for holding one of my players back when he was about to get a decent scoring chance. I'm sitting at halftime now with a 2-1 lead, but ever since that foul, it sounds like my home crowd has been booing whenever that guy has touched the ball since. Am I just hearing things?

Nope. I believe during derby matches, the opposing fans will also boo whenever your star players touch the ball as well.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote