Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #751
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsn.ca
Sources say the NHLPA proposal is as follows:

A cap of $52 million but with provisions for teams to spend as much as 10 per cent more than that on three occasions in a six-year period, with a luxury tax incorporated. The luxury tax rates would be 25 per cent on $40-44 million; 50 per cent on $44-48 million; 75 per cent on $48-52 million and 150 per cent on $52-$57.2 million.

This is an even peachier deal than I thought it was. If I were the owners, I'd meet halfway, keep the same tax structure (just move everything down $6M) and give them the detailed revenue sharing plan. This is where the "smaller" stuff (draft caps, arbitration, free agency age) comes in. "We say $48M" "Ok, $48M instead of $46 but you have to agree to this set of draft pick caps".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #752
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
This is an even peachier deal than I thought it was. If I were the owners, I'd meet halfway, keep the same tax structure (just move everything down $6M) and give them the detailed revenue sharing plan. This is where the "smaller" stuff (draft caps, arbitration, free agency age) comes in. "We say $48M" "Ok, $48M instead of $46 but you have to agree to this set of draft pick caps".

SI

They were talking about that deal on WFAN, and they were under the impression that it wasn't 10% over the cap, but 10% over your previous years payroll so you could go from 50 to 55 to 60.5 to 67M.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #753
General Mike
Pro Starter

They have less than 18 hours. They better get it done. Or else.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #754
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
So, we will never accept a salary cap actually means we will screw everyone over for 5 months and then accept one? Over the past month the league has made the most concessions, so this is a good step.

The league has yet to make any concessions while the players have given up 24% of their contracts and admitted they'll accept a cap. If they can't make something work off this proposal, the league is done, for good.
SoxWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #755
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I understand that, but I'm questioning the timing of it. If they were going to cave on a salary cap, why not do so last summer and work out the details then, even if it meant canceling 25% of the season, rather than taking an all or nothing stance and then giving in at the last (and too late) second? If they had done it like the NFLPA - acting as "partners" with the NFL - then they would have looked much better. As it stands, they look like they lost a pissing contest with the owners, and it makes them look weak and like they were the cause of the unnecessary loss of the season.

perhaps to prevent the NHL from being able to claim an impasse. that's a sucker move from the NHLPA, with the last minute change of heart. hopefully if the season is cancelled tomorrow (as it should be) this 11th hour about-face from the players doesn't screw the NHL legally in what the league can do about putting a product on the ice next season, replacement players or not.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #756
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxWin
The league has yet to make any concessions while the players have given up 24% of their contracts and admitted they'll accept a cap. If they can't make something work off this proposal, the league is done, for good.

What? Have you read any of the proposals from the league over the past month? There have been concessions in nearly all of them. You've been biased heavily in favor of the players from the very beginning.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #757
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Yeah I read them, and yeah, I've been in favour of the players all along. The owners never ever came off this salary cap nonsense so I'm not sure what these grand concessions are. I give up. It's not worth arguing over any more (not that it was originally either)
Old 02-15-2005, 07:33 PM   #758
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxWin
Yeah I read them, and yeah, I've been in favour of the players all along. The owners never ever came off this salary cap nonsense so I'm not sure what these grand concessions are. I give up. It's not worth arguing over any more (not that it was originally either)

Yet strangely here you are, telling us about how you won't be arguing any more. Now where's that attention whore picture that, I believe, FN likes to post?

SI

Old 02-15-2005, 07:54 PM   #759
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Yet strangely here you are, telling us about how you won't be arguing any more. Now where's that attention whore picture that, I believe, FN likes to post?

SI

You got me, your attention just validates my existence

If I post once more on this trainwreck of a topic, you have my permission to kick my virtual ass. Happy?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #760
General Mike
Pro Starter

I didn't know where to put this, so here is as good as anywhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1999737

Quote:
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Walt Disney Co. agreed to sell the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to billionaire Henry Samueli and his wife Susan.

Samueli's company operates the Arrowhead Pond, the Mighty Ducks' home arena.

The deal, announced Friday by Samueli, is subject to approval by the NHL. However, it won't be on the agenda Tuesday when the board of governors meet in New York, said Bill Daly, the NHL chief legal officer.

Despite the ongoing lockout that forced the cancellation of the hockey season, the pending sale is not expected to be different than others in the past.

Samueli said that the deal with Disney was struck "pretty much independent of what's going on between the league and the players.''

"Disney has had them up for sale for quite a while and we've been negotiating with them,'' he said in a phone interview. "This was a natural next step. The synergy was there since we already are operating the Arrowhead Pond.

"We're buying the team with a long-term plan in mind. We're assuming this (the labor dispute) will get settled shortly. We're assuming things will get cleaned up and we'll have a long and healthy future with the team.''

Samueli said he fully intends to keep the team at the Pond, and that he won't be changing the name to Los Angeles Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. Arte Moreno, who bought the Angels from Disney in 2003, recently caused a stir by changing the team's name from Anaheim Angels to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

"My wife and I are longtime residents of Orange County and supporters of Orange County and Anaheim, and we're happy to use the name Anaheim,'' Samueli said. "The Mighty Ducks have become a wonderful asset to this community, with a terrific following, a history of winning and a strong nucleus of outstanding young prospects and talented veterans.''

Disney paid $50 million for the Ducks to join the NHL as an expansion franchise in 1992. Samueli's initial offer to Disney reportedly was in the $50 million to $60 million range.

Although the Ducks were Western Conference champions and went to the Stanley Cup finals during the 2002-2003 season, Disney has had them on the market for years.

"We are confident that Henry and Susan Samueli will bring continued success to the Ducks, and we will remain among the biggest fans of the team going forward,'' Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said.

Samueli, co-founder, chairman of the board and chief technical officer of Broadcom Corp., believes the Ducks will be able to lure fans back when the labor dispute is settled.

"It's never good for the fan base when you have a lockout, but the Mighty Ducks have done really well over the years,'' he said. "We will make sure we do everything in our power to make it a winning team and a profitable team.

"I think we can restore confidence in the sport not only here, but across the country.''

The team's whimsical name, bestowed by Eisner after the Disney movie of the same title, and their distinctly bright uniforms and duck calls from the fans helped make the Mighty Ducks a hit both at the gate and in the merchandising department the first few years.

Attendance eventually began to lag, then there was a resurgence when the spectacular goaltending of Jean-Sebastien Giguere propelled the Ducks into their first Stanley Cup finals.

Although Anaheim lost to New Jersey in seven games, Samueli -- an avid fan of many sports -- recalled, "For me personally, those were some of the most exciting sports events. My wife and I were at every home game, and it was something, the excitement of the crowds, the noise.''

The Ducks failed to make the playoffs the following season, and attendance dwindled again. But that didn't affect Samueli, who might be the Ducks' second most fervent supporter -- behind only his wife.

"She is very excited, maybe more excited than I am,'' he said, laughing.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 02-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #761
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Some friends and I were discussing this today:

Assuming that, as has been rumored, when the draft takes place they use a lottery system where all teams have an equal shot at the #1 pick, who will the NHL rig the draft in favor of?

It won't be a team in a bad market because the NHL doesn't really care about them (hence no revenue sharing). And it won't be a team liek Toronto or Detroit since they already have their fan base.

I say Los Angeles, but you could make a good case for Phoenix or Anaheim. Boston and Chicago are decent shots as well.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #762
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Knicks? Wait, that was for Patrick Ewing.

SI

Old 02-26-2005, 07:56 AM   #763
Karim
College Starter

Another solid article from Hall of Fame writer, Eric Duhatschek...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #764
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

Assuming that, as has been rumored, when the draft takes place they use a lottery system where all teams have an equal shot at the #1 pick, who will the NHL rig the draft in favor of?

It won't be a team in a bad market because the NHL doesn't really care about them (hence no revenue sharing). And it won't be a team liek Toronto or Detroit since they already have their fan base.

I say Los Angeles, but you could make a good case for Phoenix or Anaheim. Boston and Chicago are decent shots as well.

Rangers need him. Maybe the Blackhawks.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 02-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #765
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Rangers need him. Maybe the Blackhawks.
True, but we figure that the Rangers already have a solid fan base, good TV deal, etc. We figure the NHL will use this opportunity to prop up a failing team in a market they really care about.

LA, Chicago and Boston all seem like good choices, although the Gretzky-connection in Phoenix will be tempting.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #766
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
True, but we figure that the Rangers already have a solid fan base, good TV deal, etc. We figure the NHL will use this opportunity to prop up a failing team in a market they really care about.

LA, Chicago and Boston all seem like good choices, although the Gretzky-connection in Phoenix will be tempting.

True. LA might be the perfect fit, because Boston and Chicago's problems are more about ownership.

Pittsburgh is the darkhorse.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 02-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #767
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I don't see why you wouldn't just go by the standings of the previous year played.. how stupid would it be for tampa bay to get the first overall pick?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 PM   #768
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I don't see why you wouldn't just go by the standings of the previous year played.. how stupid would it be for tampa bay to get the first overall pick?

Because you can't give a team double the rewards for one bad season. I'm not going to say Pitt or Chicago or the Rangers wouldn't be bad again, or the Devils, Avalanche and Maple Leafs wouldnt have finished in their usual places, but who knows what team would have come out of nowhere to make a playoff run, and who knows what playoff team was going to fall about.

The fairest thing to do is have a evenly weighted lottery, or rochambeaux for it.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #769
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Stumbled across this nice piece about (one of) hockey's greatest. Nice to finally remember something good about the NHL:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...44259-sun.html

Due one more shot at glory

Yzerman has unfinished business
By BRUCE GARRIOCH -- Ottawa Sun

'Who knows what might happen in the next 12 months...'
The Yzerman fan club
Yzerman's favourites
  • The Yzerman file

Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman, a 21-year veteran, is shown against the Tampa Bay Lightning in Detroit, on March 8, 2004. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

DETROIT -- The Warrior points to the aches and pains of a 22-year NHL career as he sits in a restaurant deep in Detroit suburbia, the sun beaming through the window. Pain. Plenty of it. Neck. Back. Shoulder. Knee. Eye. Injuries that would have sent mortal men scurrying to their hockey afterlives.

But Steve Yzerman played on, sometimes in excruciating pain. With pride. With courage. And with purpose. He knows his NHL career is winding down, but he vows to soldier on. In his own unassuming way, of course.

There's no doubt Yzerman has star power. There's a mural of the Red Wings centre in downtown Detroit. And he can't go far without being recognized. As he walks into Champ's restaurant, the waitress introduces herself and he's quick to say: "Hi, Carolyn." It's a small thing, but it's the small things that say so much about The Warrior's character.

Earlier as Yzerman, dressed in casual black, pulls up to the Troy Marriott behind the wheel of his white GMC Envoy, he apologizes for being late by 20 minutes.

An intensely private man, he doesn't seek the limelight. He draws the line at talking in great detail about his wife Lisa and children Isabella (11), Maria (6) and Sophia (5). Isabella just started playing hockey. The No. 19 wasn't available, so she settled for 20 on her jersey.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 name=ebReportingFlash>

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 name=ebBannerFlash_1_245596525912084861109607619013>

Yzerman likes to golf -- he's a 14-handicap and with spare time on his hands, he's been at the range hitting balls. He's a member at Oakland Hills, home of the 2004 Ryder Cup.

In a peek at the inner Yzerman, he's a wine collector -- and a big English soccer fan. On this day, he's wearing a Liverpool jacket.

And while Yzerman prefers to remain low key, others line up to give testimonials.

"Steve likes to lead by example," says Wings defenceman Nik Lidstrom. "He plays with his heart and with his soul. He lays it all on the line.

"When I think of Steve Yzerman, I like to think about 2002 when we won the Stanley Cup. He was basically playing on one leg. He couldn't practise for two months and he even had a difficult time taking part in the 15-minute warmup. But when the puck was dropped, he was there and he performed. We've been together for 13 years. He's tough as nails."

But that's Steve Yzerman. The quiet kid on the school bus who never knew the meaning of the word quit.

The rink behind D. Aubrey Moodie was cold and dark as Jean Yzerman ventured out from her Arnold Dr. home trying to make sure her 11-year-old son got out of the cold and finished his homework.The boy begged for one more minute, then another, but the mother knew this could turn into hours and school was just as important as launching one more puck at the net or studying the curve on the stick.

"There was hockey and school ... and hockey always came first," said his father, Ron Yzerman.

Steve Yzerman was a natural athlete. At age 10, he moved to Nepean from Kamloops, B.C., when his father got a government transfer. He gave up his life with the Moose Pup Reps and put on the No. 14 to play minor hockey with the Nepean Raiders. He may not have been the biggest player or most natural skater, but he had three things that put him head and shoulders above the rest: Talent, heart and desire.

"When I looked at the other boys, I thought the difference with Steve was that he was not single-minded. He was always looking to move the puck and always trying to be a team player," said his dad. "He wasn't selfish. I know that sounds corny coming from his father, but that's just the type of guy that he was. He would always be at the top of the league in scoring, but I always thought that he could have had more goals if he'd just shot the puck more. That wasn't him and that wasn't his style."

Yzerman would play hockey any chance he got. Morning, afternoon and night. It didn't matter how cold it was, he was consumed by hockey. He also played soccer and baseball in Nepean, but hockey was his game.

During the summer, Yzerman would play street hockey in the parking lot of a Loblaws on Greenbank Rd. with buddy Darren Pang and other friends. While some kids may have been just killing time, Yzerman was chasing a dream.

"The guy just loved the game," says Mike Goddard, a Nepean resident who coached Yzerman at the bantam and junior levels. "Hockey, hockey and hockey. That was all he thought. Other kids would have parties to attend or there was a dance on Friday night and they didn't want to practise. Not Steve, he was always on the ice.

"He would come, he would work hard and he wouldn't say much. He was just a polite kid. You knew he was special. You knew he was going to go somewhere. He wanted it badly and he wanted to be the difference."

At age 16, he left to play junior hockey with the Peterborough Petes. His parents wanted him to keep up his schooling. But his studies suffered.

"I got word that he had been leaving school midway through the morning so that he could attend hockey practice with the junior team in Nepean. I guess they had some 20-year-olds who weren't in school," says his dad. "I had supposedly signed this note to allow him to leave for these appointments every day and I didn't know anything about it. When I heard about it, I made sure it didn't happen again because education was important to us."

Yzerman switched to No. 19 in summer hockey school because he liked New York Islanders star Bryan Trottier. Like Trottier, 39-year-old Yzerman will someday have his No. 19 retired to the rafters at Detroit's Joe Louis Arena.

The phone was ringing at Yzerman's summer home in Muskoka last June and he didn't want to answer the call. He knew it was Wayne Gretzky calling. But Yzerman couldn't pick it up to tell Team Canada's executive director he wasn't going to be ready for the World Cup.

"I put off calling Wayne Gretzky as long as I could," says Yzerman. "I could see he was calling. I avoided returning the calls. I didn't want to have to tell him. That's a tough thing."

This time, Yzerman couldn't answer the bell. He was in too much agony, he wasn't in good enough shape and he didn't want to occupy a roster spot that someone else deserved.

Coming off a devastating eye injury that ended his playoffs in May, Yzerman admitted seeing straight was the least of his worries when it came to playing for Team Canada. The pain just caught up with him. He had a bout of tendonitis in his shoulder, a sore neck because of surgery earlier in his career and a rebuilt knee that won't allow him to run when he trains.

"He called in May. I was surprised because you don't expect a call from (Gretzky)," says Yzerman. "I got the call and I was fired up. I was going to show the world I was going to play well and this was going to be great. I got into training June 1 and (Gretzky) told me to keep in touch to let him know how I was feeling. I got into July and I really struggled trying to get myself ready to play. There were things with my body that made it difficult for me to get into the shape I needed to be in.

"I had to think realistically how I would get myself ready to play. As it got closer I was like, 'Who was I kidding, I'm not ready to play.' Especially when there were other guys who were ready to go like (Vincent Lecavalier and Keith Primeau). I didn't feel I'd be able to play at a high enough level to help the team be successful. It's a tough thing to do to call (Gretzky) and say, 'I'm not ready to go.' I didn't know whether it was the right thing or the wrong thing. I wanted to play, but I just couldn't do it."

All the injuries Yzerman suffered didn't hurt as much as saying no to Gretzky.

A brave decision by a brave player ... a decision that led to his replacement, Lecavalier, being named the MVP of the World Cup.

Yzerman is an icon in Detroit. So few players spend their entire career in one place. Even Gretzky was dealt, but Yzerman has spent his pro hockey life with the Wings.

"I would say we've both been fortunate the relationship has lasted as long as it has," says Detroit GM Ken Holland. "This organization has been committed to winning in this city and (owner Mike Illitch) has done what it takes to bring championships here. "You can't be successful if you don't have the support of ownership in the first place. Steve Yzerman has been popular here because the people see the passion he has for the game. He's done the job through his leadership on and off the ice."

It was in the summer of 1986 that a fresh-faced Yzerman, already drafted fourth overall by the Red Wings in 1983, showed up unannounced in Montreal at the Detroit draft table, wanting to introduce himself to new coach Jacques Demers. Yzerman drove from Ottawa because he wanted to make sure he got a chance to talk to Demers about the goals for the upcoming season. The meeting wasn't long, but it was enough to tell Demers he had a man who could be a future captain.

"That meeting told me a lot about the guy," says Demers, who went on to win a Stanley Cup with Montreal in 1993. "He came down from Ottawa and he just wanted to tell me he was having a terrible summer. He wasn't happy with the losing. He wanted success.

"That made me think long and hard going into training camp. To me, he looked like a boy, but he was a man and I just thought he was captain material. The one thing I respect about Steve Yzerman is he doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. That's not in his vocabulary. He didn't say a lot in the room, but when he did, he spoke volumes."

Demers is proud of his choice.

"I didn't make the decision right away, but I knew he was the right man for the job," says Demers. "I spoke with Mike Illitch and (former GM Jim Devallano) and they were concerned he was too young to be a captain. I knew I had made the right choice one night in Chicago. Yzerman wasn't happy with the way the game was going. The 'Hawks had guys like Doug Wilson, Steve Larmer, Al Secord and Denis Savard. Well, Steve didn't say anything, he just took matters into his own hands on the ice and led us to a victory. He hates to lose."

Losing almost became a way of life for Yzerman, who was nearly dealt to the Senators in 1996 when Ottawa was embroiled in one of its many contract disputes with Alexei Yashin. The deal was killed when then-Wings coach Scotty Bowman stepped in.

"(The rumours) were legit. They were very real. I'm not bitter about it," says Yzerman. "At the time, I was against it just considering where the Senators were at that stage of their franchise. I really wanted to play on a Stanley Cup contender. I didn't know if in eight or nine years I'd still be playing. I look at Ottawa as one of top five teams in league (now) and I think they will continue to be. (In 1996,) I was just trying to influence where I was going."

Yzerman won his first of three Stanley Cups in 1997. The atmosphere at Joe Louis Arena was electric that night as he hoisted Lord Stanley's chalice in the air.

"I heard Steve describe that moment once as all kind of happening in slow motion," says Ron Yzerman. "The funny thing is, I was in the stands and I felt the same way."

Soon after the triumph came tragedy. As the celebration continued for days in Motown, teammates Vladimir Konstantinov, Viacheslav Fetisov and masseuse Sergei Mnatsakanov were badly hurt when their limousine veered off a highway in Detroit.

From the exhilarating high of winning a Cup to standing at a hospital bedside, praying that his friends would survive, Yzerman's life took an abrupt turn.

"For one week, you feel like you're on top of the world and almost superhuman. It ended in one second when we got the phone call," Yzerman said in a 1997 interview with the Sun.

Still, Yzerman wanted to share the thrill of winning the Cup with his friends. He took the Cup to his house in Birmingham, Mich., for private parties and spent a lot of time just studying the names, the etchings that have brought immortality to so many.

On Aug. 28, 1997, Yzerman brought the Cup to the Nepean Sportsplex -- to the rink named after him. He walked in, and like he has on so many nights for Detroit hockey fans, provided a lasting memory. This time for family friend Steve Unger. Unger, 37, was paralyzed in a diving accident at Britannia Beach several years ago. A talented player himself, Unger was a member of the Raiders a couple of years after Yzerman left. Yzerman took one look at Unger and handed him the Cup.

"That meant a lot," says Unger. "That's just the kind of guy Steve Yzerman is. I got it. I wanted to lift it, but it was a lot heavier than I thought. It just meant a lot to me that he would do something like this. I was just there like everybody else wanting to get a glimpse of it."

Yzerman has always treated people with class. Treat people as you expect to be treated. Just good old-fashioned values.

Winning a gold medal and a Stanley Cup in the same season? And in 2002, he did it all on one leg. Troubled by knee problems going into the Olympics, Yzerman decided to have an arthroscopic procedure a month before the Games because he could "feel something there" and wanted to get it cleaned up.

He came back to play two NHL games before the Games began in Salt Lake City and felt good. Then, Yzerman felt the pain during a loss to Sweden in the first game of the tournament.

"We played Germany in the second game and after that it blew up," says Yzerman. "But it was too late for me to back out. I knew that since I had gone in there I had to keep going. I should have told them no beforehand.

"I committed. I told them my knee was fine because I thought it was fine. I wasn't sure what was going on with the knee and I didn't understand why it was happening. I didn't think about it. I just went out and played."

Then there was the Stanley Cup. Glorious. Wonderful.

"There's no question (that's the highlight of my career)," says Yzerman. "There's been a lot of highlights for me that maybe wouldn't have made a highlight reel, but they've meant a lot to me personally. But, if I look back on one year, then winning the gold medal and finishing No. 1 overall with Detroit and winning the Stanley Cup in 2002 means a lot.

"I persevered that year. It was a difficult thing to do. You could debate how effective I was on the ice. For myself, I was able to persevere and play through it and be somewhat effective. I felt pretty good about that."

A brave performance by a brave warrior.

He had his knee rebuilt following the season. Doctors told him to quit. Take it easy.

The surgeon understood the workings of an athlete's knee, but not The Warrior's will to compete. Yzerman had fought back before in his career and he wasn't going to let this stop him.

Darkness surrounds the car as Yzerman heads up I75 toward his home, his wife in the front seat and his parents sitting in the back. While Yzerman is answering questions from his mother, his mind wanders. He's replaying the game in his mind. "Should I have chipped the puck off the boards on that play in the third, dumped it in or carried it across the line?" He might be behind the wheel, but his mind is a million miles away thinking about what could have been done differently.

That's the hockey mind him in. And he plans to put it to good use when his playing career is finished, maybe as a team president or GM.

"I just don't think I would be into coaching. I don't think I'm made for that side of the game," says Yzerman. "I'm going to take a while once I'm finished. I don't want to rush into anything. That's something Paul Coffey and I talked about.

"He said to take time when it's over. That's why this lockout has kind of been something to get me ready for retirement. I've been busy spending time with my kids. It's been great to spend time with them."

Holland said Yzerman has a strong hockey mind.

"He studies the game and he knows a lot about what's happening in every league," says Holland. "I don't know if he's getting everything from the Internet or reading The Hockey News. He knows how prospects of ours or other organization's are doing in Europe.

"He thinks the game and he can relate to people. He's had a storied career and I believe when it's over, he'll be ready to make the next step into the front office."

Yzerman would like to model his career after Detroit Pistons star Joe Dumars, who went from being a standout player to a president who led the club to an NBA championship.

"That's the guy I kind of look at who is somebody I could learn from. He's shown a lot in his career," says Yzerman.

But Yzerman has unfinished business ... on the ice. Imagine the scene at Joe Louis Arena on Yzerman's final night in the NHL. The crowd. The old players back to honour him as the No. 19 is lifted to the rafters.
  • __________________
    Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
    Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #770
    Karim
    College Starter

Article from former Flame, Neil Sheehy, who is now a lawyer/player agent. He discusses his role in the hey day of the Battle of Alberta, the instigator rule and how it impacted the game, and why fighting and on-ice policing is necessary to protect the stars.

http://www.sheehyhockeyllc.com/Preface.php
    Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #771
    Maple Leafs
    Coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2009998

ESPN is reporting that Forsberg suffered another concussion in his first game back on a dirty hit, and this one may be career ending.

Quote:
    STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Peter Forsberg sustained a concussion Thursday night in his first Swedish Elite League game since breaking his hand six weeks ago -- an injury that could end his career, according to his father.

Forsberg, who plays for the MoDo team coached by his father, was cross-checked into the boards by Farjestad's Peter Nordstrom during the second period of a playoff game. Nordstrom was ejected for the hit.

"He's had his share of concussions, I think it is enough now [to cause him to retire]," coach Kent Forsberg said.

MoDo's team doctor had Forsberg under observation at the team hotel.

"The first thing (Nordstrom) did in the game was to hit Peter right on his arms," Forsberg's father said. "You do such a thing for only one reason."

Farjestad won 5-4 to take a 3-1 lead in the quarterfinal series.

The head injury was the latest to plague Forsberg's otherwise brilliant hockey career.

He had a handful of concussions while playing in the NHL with the Colorado Avalanche.

Forsberg had an ankle injury that kept him out for the entire 2001-02 regular season, and he missed the final two rounds of the 2001 playoffs because of a ruptured spleen. Forsberg has also had surgery on his shoulders, groin area and thigh.

It's unclear if Forsberg planned to stay in Sweden or return to North America after playing in his home country during the lockout that canceled the entire NHL season.

(Odd. I thought the Euro leagues were squeaky clean and only the NHL had thugs.)
    Old 03-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #772
    Draft Dodger
    Coordinator

man, that totally bums me out.

Forsberg has always struck me as someone who wouldn't overstay his welcome in the NHL, but it sounds like his father might just be being a little dramatic...
    Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #773
    Karim
    College Starter

For those media types (Stachan, Brooks, Dowbiggin) and agents (Winters, Breeze, Barry, Gillis) who dream of a 'European SuperLeague':

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr4905.htm (great article from the horse's mouth)
    Old 03-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #774
    Karim
    College Starter

The 'Ryan Smyth and Friends' tour is well received in Red Deer (small town Alberta)...
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...23/969997.html

My congratulations to Red Deer...
    Old 03-23-2005, 08:13 PM   #775
    Franklinnoble
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karim
    The 'Ryan Smyth and Friends' tour is well received in Red Deer (small town Alberta)...
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...23/969997.html

My congratulations to Red Deer...

That is freakin' awesome.

Bravo, Red Deerians. Or whatever you call yourselves.
    Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #776
    Pyser
    Pro Rookie

they cancelled the draft.

does that mean there is going to be a double draft next year, or what? and how does that work with picks that were traded for players and stuff? this is starting to get messy.
    Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 AM   #777
    Tekneek
    Pro Rookie

It would seem that the NHL will soon hit the point where starting over is easier than fixing the mess they currently have.
    Old 03-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #778
    General Mike
    Pro Starter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pyser
    they cancelled the draft.

does that mean there is going to be a double draft next year, or what? and how does that work with picks that were traded for players and stuff? this is starting to get messy.

They only cancelled the draft because who knows if they will have a deal in place by the end of June. Why rent a building that is not going to be used. I am sure they will have a draft before they have training camps.
    Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
    Old 03-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #779
    Tekneek
    Pro Rookie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by General Mike
    I am sure they will have a draft before they have training camps.

An article I read said they would teleconference the draft. I'm not thinking they will have one because they won't have a season to prep for.

I'm also very close to deciding that I won't renew Center Ice when they come back. For cost reasons, I would have to choose between Sports Pack or Center Ice, and I've enjoyed the college hockey, occasional AHL game, and increased soccer offerings on DirecTV these days a bit much to come back to the owners and players who gave me the finger for over 6 months. If I don't get that, I probably won't follow the NHL at all.
    Old 03-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #780
    Tekneek
    Pro Rookie

A big problem they will also have to deal with will be player rights. Some players who went unsigned technically go back into the draft if they are not signed by June 1, right? Unless there is a CBA, I doubt any of these guys are signing contracts. So teams will start losing players. If July 1 comes along, all contracts that were just through last season will expire. RFAs who are not offered qualifying contracts will be UFAs. There are a ton of problems that this will create that will be further stumbling blocks towards reviving the current NHL.

If they don't come to agreement on all of the details by September 1, they are going to find it very difficult to get the season going on time with all of the details left to be resolved. Nobody will be able to have rookie/prospect camps either. The league is hosed.
    Old 03-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #781
    RPI-Fan
    Pro Starter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tekneek
    A big problem they will also have to deal with will be player rights. Some players who went unsigned technically go back into the draft if they are not signed by June 1, right? Unless there is a CBA, I doubt any of these guys are signing contracts. So teams will start losing players. If July 1 comes along, all contracts that were just through last season will expire. RFAs who are not offered qualifying contracts will be UFAs. There are a ton of problems that this will create that will be further stumbling blocks towards reviving the current NHL.

If they don't come to agreement on all of the details by September 1, they are going to find it very difficult to get the season going on time with all of the details left to be resolved. Nobody will be able to have rookie/prospect camps either. The league is hosed.

This is the single-biggest reason I wanted a deal to get done at the deadline. Without one, they aren't going to have any success getting things done in the off-season.

Also, can someone correct me if my math is wrong, but:

$6.5mil ($49m - $42.5m -- the difference b/w owners and players) x 30 teams = $195mil x 5 seasons = $975mil lost in salaries over the course of the CBA.

$45mil x 30 teams = $1.35bil -- amount lost in salaries from cancelling this season.

Why, you stupid fuckers?!
    Old 03-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #782
    Maple Leafs
    Coordinator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
    Why, you stupid fuckers?!
    You didn't get the memo? This isn't about money, it's about "philosophy".

(Apparently Aristotle plays left wings for the Rangers now.)
    Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #783
    Honolulu_Blue
    Hockey Boy

Well, Canada and the US havre named their rosters for the World Championships in Vienna next month.

Here they are:

Canada
    Goaltenders: Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils; Roberto Luongo, Florida Panthers; Marty Turco, Dallas Stars.

Defence: Dan Boyle, Tampa Bay Lightning; Scott Hannan, San Jose Sharks; Ed Jovanovski, Vancouver Canucks; Chris Phillips, Ottawa Senators; Wade Redden, Ottawa Senators; Robyn Regehr, Calgary Flames; Sheldon Souray, Montreal Canadiens.

Forwards: Shane Doan, Phoenix Coyotes; Kris Draper, Detroit Red Wings; Mike Fisher, Ottawa Senators; Simon Gagne, Philadelphia Flyers; Dany Heatley, Atlanta Thrashers; Kirk Maltby, Detroit Red Wings; Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks; Brendan Morrison, Vancouver Canucks; Brenden Morrow, Dallas Stars; Rick Nash, Columbus Blue Jackets; Ryan Smyth, Edmonton Oilers; Joe Thornton, Boston Bruins.

United States
    Goaltenders: Ty Conklin, Edmonton Oilers; Rick DiPietro, New York Islanders; Tim Thomas, Providence Bruins.

Defence: Hal Gill, Boston Bruins; Jordan Leopold, Calgary Flames; John-Michael Liles, Colorado Avalanche; Paul Martin, New Jersey Devils; Aaron Miller, Los Angeles Kings; Andy Roach, Lausanne (Swiss League).

Forwards: Erik Cole, Carolina Hurricanes; Matt Cullen, Carolina Hurricanes; Brian Gionta, New Jersey Devils; 11 Jeff Halpern, Washington Capitals; Mike Knuble, Philadelphia Flyers; David Legwand, Nashville Predators; Mike Modano, Dallas Stars; Richard Park, Minnesota Wild; Mark Parrish, New York Islanders; Doug Weight, St. Louis Blues; Mike York, Edmonton Oilers.

Canada still has one more spot to fill, but that team looks strong as always. The US team doesn't even look close. Given that most of Sweden's national program seems to be in shambles (no Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund, Lidstrom, etc.), I think Canada should be well on its way to its third straight gold.

I am actually heading out to Vienna for the semi-final and final games. Should be a good time. Nice to see some live hockey again.
    Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
    Old 04-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #784
    General Mike
    Pro Starter

USA roster doesn't look too bad, but there's not alot of international experience there.

Does anyone know if they are gonna show the World Championships on TV?
    Old 04-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #785
    TazFTW
    Pro Rookie

I still don't understand why Esche was left off. He played well last time.
    TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #786
    sachmo71
    The boy who cried Trout

I guess Hatcher didn't want to play for USA?
    sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2005, 03:50 PM   #787
    Anthony
    Banned

i'm not crazy about that USA team.
    Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #788
    Honolulu_Blue
    Hockey Boy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sachmo71
    I guess Hatcher didn't want to play for USA?

He's been busy playing with the Motor City Mechanics in the UHL. Then again so is Draper... I guess not. You have to wonder how the knee is. That and he's old, slow, and stupid. I've known the slow and stupid bit for a long time, most folks didn't quite seem to catch on until he started playing for the Wings. Oh well...
    Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #789
    Karim
    College Starter

I was shocked to hear that the Yzerman mural in Detroit is being painted over...
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...07&hubName=nhl

Team Canada is running a practice in Calgary before playing a couple of exhibition games in Halifax and Quebec. Dan Boyle, of the Tampa Bay Lightning, has informed the Calgary media now that the statute of limitations has passed, that the goal in Game 6 by Martin Gelinas was indeed in.

Thanks Dan, that's what I needed to hear...

Last edited by Karim : 04-13-2005 at 08:40 PM.
    Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #790
    Honolulu_Blue
    Hockey Boy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karim
    I was shocked to hear that the Yzerman mural in Detroit is being painted over...
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...07&hubName=nhl

This is just fucking depressing. Nextel has decided to "move on" from Stevie Y? Fuck them. Who do they think they are? I will never buy any Nextel product or service. Ever. They are banned. The company is dead to me. Bitches.

At least I still have a cool PDF of the murel I use as my wallpaper...

What a bad year for hockey.
    Old 04-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #791
    TazFTW
    Pro Rookie

oooooookay...

Quote:
    Group: Lockout shouldn't stop awarding of Cup

Associated Press

TORONTO -- A group of amateur hockey players is taking the NHL to court to determine whether somebody can play for the Stanley Cup.

The 'Wednesday Nighters' filed a claim in Ontario Superior Court on Wednesday asking it to clarify the terms under which Canadian Governor-General Lord Stanley donated the Cup in 1892. The NHL season was canceled in February amid a labor dispute.

"The fact that the NHL has suspended its play this year doesn't mean that Canadians and others don't have the right to compete for the Stanley Cup," said Tim Gilbert, the groups' lawyer.

Gilbert said Lord Stanley's intention when he donated the Stanley Cup was to have teams compete for the trophy every year, and a labor dispute shouldn't prevent that from happening.

He hopes the court will force Stanley Cup trustees Brian O'Neill and Ian Morrison to find teams to compete for the Cup.

"We do not take this lightly," said Gard Shelley, an amateur hockey player in his mid-50s. "The Stanley Cup is the greatest sports trophy anywhere, ever. It is unique and a huge part of our culture and heritage."

The 'Wednesday Nighters' initially offered to play for it themselves -- white jerseys against black -- but eventually decided that competitive teams should play for it. They don't even use goalies in their league.

"This did start off as an amusing idea after Wednesday night hockey one night," amateur David Burt said. "I'm frustrated as most hockey fans are that the NHL and the NHLPA lost the season. I don't know which side of that issue I'm on. I'm just frustrated with the fact that there is no hockey being played. I don't think that's what Lord Stanley intended. I think he had a higher purpose for his donation."

Current Canadian Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson suggested in February that if the NHL won't award the Stanley Cup this year, then it should be the top prize in women's hockey.

O'Neill declined to comment Wednesday but said the claims would be contested.

In February, O'Neill said there was no legal way the trophy could be awarded for another competition under an agreement with the NHL. He said it would only be possible if the NHL decided it didn't want the Stanley Cup anymore, or if the league went out of business.

The 'Wednesday Nighters' application is scheduled to be heard by the court July 18 -- well after the Stanley Cup is usually awarded -- but Gilbert hopes to have the date moved up to sometime in May.

This could be just the second time the Stanley Cup isn't awarded. The last was 1919, when a flu epidemic forced the finals to be called off.

TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2005, 01:18 AM   #792
    thealmighty
    Pro Starter

Playoffs would have started today, I believe.
    Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #793
    thealmighty
    Pro Starter

dola,

or yesterday, since it's thursday by now.
    Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #794
    Pyser
    Pro Rookie

ill tell you one thing, this lockout has been great for the devils (no, seriously).

first, scott stevens is given an extra year to clear his head from the concussions that knocked him out most of 2003-2004.

then scotty gomez gets destroyed and breaks...something odd that shouldnt break...knocking him out 4 months...

zach parise is gaining extremely valuable playing time in international tournies (missed penalty shot aside)

and now patrik elias has come down with type A hepatitis, and lost 30 pounds...but doctors say he should make a full recovery.

thank god we arent playing real games right now!
    Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #795
    st.cronin
    General Manager

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pyser
    ill tell you one thing, this lockout has been great for the devils (no, seriously).

first, scott stevens is given an extra year to clear his head from the concussions that knocked him out most of 2003-2004.

then scotty gomez gets destroyed and breaks...something odd that shouldnt break...knocking him out 4 months...

zach parise is gaining extremely valuable playing time in international tournies (missed penalty shot aside)

and now patrik elias has come down with type A hepatitis, and lost 30 pounds...but doctors say he should make a full recovery.

thank god we arent playing real games right now!

Zach Parise is gonna be *real* good. He's like a young Michael Peca.
    st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #796
    Chubby
    Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
    Originally Posted by st.cronin

those 2 sentences contradict each other
    Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #797
    Draft Dodger
    Coordinator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chubby
    those 2 sentences contradict each other

I was thinking the same thing.

hey Chubby - did you see my Brian Holzinger mystery thread?
    http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=38778
    Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #798
    Cards4ever
    College Benchwarmer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by st.cronin

As someone who has seen Zach play since he was a youth, I'm not sure where you get that comparison.
    Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #799
    Maple Leafs
    Coordinator

The NHL has apparently figured out how the draft lottery will work this year.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278

They've come up with a complicated system based on the last four years in which teams are punished for making the playoffs, but also (oddly) punished for having had the #1 pick.

In other words, the teams that will have the best shot at Crosby will be those who have been bad for four years, but not bad enough to pick first.

In an absolutely stunning coincidence, the team that winds up with the best shot at Crosby is... wow! ... the New York Rangers!

Funny how that worked out.
    Old 05-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #800
    Honolulu_Blue
    Hockey Boy

Quote:
    The NHL has apparently figured out how the draft lottery will work this year.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278

They've come up with a complicated system based on the last four years in which teams are punished for making the playoffs, but also (oddly) punished for having had the #1 pick.

In other words, the teams that will have the best shot at Crosby will be those who have been bad for four years, but not bad enough to pick first.

In an absolutely stunning coincidence, the team that winds up with the best shot at Crosby is... wow! ... the New York Rangers!

Funny how that worked out.

That is a stunner.

This is an unprecedented action. A professional sports league jerry-rigging a draft so that a team from New York has the best shot at a top amature player. Outrageous!