Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #751
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Melrose just won't let up on the "Mighty" Senators.

Note to Barry: The Sens choke EVERY year in the playoffs. This shouldn't be a surprise
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #752
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
lou was never planning on staying behind the bench.

id expect to see pat burns back next year.

Burns??Really??

Is he healthy enough?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:46 AM   #753
kingfc22
Head Coach

Toskala played one hell of a game and Roloson made two huge saves in the 2nd OT to help the Oilers win this one.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 AM   #754
Vince
Pro Starter

Ugh, get home from the Giants game to watch that Sharks loss. Great end to the night.

Gotta love playoff hockey though...that Roloson glove save on Cheechoo's
shot in OT #2 was absurd.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #755
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, at least ONE series isn't going to be a sweep...
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #756
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Colorado will win game 4.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #757
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
go ducks!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #758
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Colorado will win game 4.

I agree with this.I'd bet my new house on it if my wife would let me

ML what's the word on Ray Lalime in Ottawa?Are they throwing him under the bus?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #759
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
ML what's the word on Ray Lalime in Ottawa?Are they throwing him under the bus?
It hasn't been too bad. The general consensus is that nobody is playing well, and it's not really Emery's fault. The fans would still like to see Hasek back tonight, though.

If they lose the series, it's going to get very ugly in Ottawa. The fans may finally be turning on Alfredsson, and they're also starting to figure out that Muckler can't ever seem to pull the trigger on a deadline deal that actually helps the team. It won't be pretty.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #760
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
It hasn't been too bad. The general consensus is that nobody is playing well, and it's not really Emery's fault. The fans would still like to see Hasek back tonight, though.

If they lose the series, it's going to get very ugly in Ottawa. The fans may finally be turning on Alfredsson, and they're also starting to figure out that Muckler can't ever seem to pull the trigger on a deadline deal that actually helps the team. It won't be pretty.

That certainly seems to be the case. Is Arnason even playing?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #761
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
That certainly seems to be the case. Is Arnason even playing?
Nope. He's been a healthy scratch since the last week of the season.

There were veteran goalies available. Muckler decided Emery could do the job.

Just about every veteran defenceman in the league was dealt. Muckler decided that the kids on his blueline would be fine.

Teams like the Hurricanes and Sharks dealt for veterans with playoff experience. Muckler didn't.

But at least they still have their first round pick (29th overall in a weak draft). That's saying something, I guess.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #762
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Ugh, get home from the Giants game to watch that Sharks loss. Great end to the night.

Gotta love playoff hockey though...that Roloson glove save on Cheechoo's
shot in OT #2 was absurd.

The price was steep, but Roloson is making Lowe look like a genius right now. I think that robbery of Cheechoo has the potential to be a series turning save, never mind the emotional lift/letdown each team is going through after such a hard fought game.

Now if the Oilers could just play with that sort of intensity all the time, games would be so much more fun to watch.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #763
Karim
College Starter

Are the playoffs catching on in Anaheim or Carolina or is the enthusiasm limited to the 20,000 in the arena?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #764
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'd have to say it's still somewhat of a niche in North Carolina, but the playoffs are coming at a down point in the local sports calendar. College basketball and football are done (and the State basketball coach search is over), the Panthers and Bobcats are done, and the only major local competition comes from minor league baseball. Thus, the Hurricanes are getting a heavy dose of local ink at this point.

Even so, I'm reasonably sure it's more than just the 20,000 in the building each game. I'm following from here in Michigan, so that makes 20,001.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #765
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Emery plays well and the Senators avoid the sweep.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #766
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Emery plays well and the Senators avoid the sweep.

Understatement of the week, Emery was unconcious tonight. SAbres should have had 4 goals if not for Emery making some REALLY insane timing saves with that glove of his. Twice in the last two minutes he made simply sick saves on point blank shots to save this game for the Sens.

Sabres in 6.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #767
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Understatement of the week, Emery was unconcious tonight. SAbres should have had 4 goals if not for Emery making some REALLY insane timing saves with that glove of his. Twice in the last two minutes he made simply sick saves on point blank shots to save this game for the Sens.

Sabres in 6.

If it goes to game 6 i think the Sens take it in 7.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #768
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Well, things get a little more interesting now...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #769
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If it goes to game 6 i think the Sens take it in 7.

Considering an 0-3 hole has only been overcome twice in history, I'd still take the Sabers at this point. Still, I'd want the Sens to win because A) they're my second-favorite team, and B) well, if someone does rally from 0-3 down, I'd want it to be Ottawa and not New Jersey.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #770
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And now we wait for San Jose or Edmonton. Nice to get at least a little bit of a break to heal up for the Western Conference Finals.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #771
Karim
College Starter

A cool pic for Sabres fans...
http://images2.sportsline.com/u/ap/p...2_1024x768.jpg
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #772
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm just amazed by the Ducks.

here's a team that early on the season dumps Fedorov in what everyone agrees is just a cost cutting move. They get back Tyler Wright, who I think is in the AHL right now, and some throw in 6th defenseman named Beuchemin...who ended up paired with Niedermeyer and posted his highest point total since 2000 - when he was in the Q.

they trade Sykora at the deadline. they trade Carney at the deadline. they limped into the playoffs with an injured Giguere.

and all they do is play a team game that shuts down opponents. Some guy named Dustin Penner has come out of literally nowhere to look like a star. just crazy stuff.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #773
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

meanwhile, it will be an interesting offseason for the Avs. probably much more so than last year when they lost Foote, Forsberg, Selanne and Kariya. this is very much a team in transition - I'm pretty happy with making it to the 2nd round, but Pierre Lacroix is going to have his work cut out for him.

Theodore seems like a good move, right now. He started shaky against the Stars, but came on strong at the end of that series and really for most of round 2. He still has a way to go to become an elite goalie (and earning that $5 million salary), but he's an upgrade over Aebischer. And I like Budaj a lot.

Defense has the potential to be a mess. the only 3 good defensemen - Blake, Clark and Skraskins, are unrestricted. Clark, a former expansion pick of the Thrashers, had a bustout year. He's solid in his own end, and has some offensive capabilities as well, and is probably going to attract some attention on the market. Skraskins is one of the more underrated players in hockey - he doesn't have gaudy stats which helps keep his price down (I hope), but he's a critical re-sign, in my opinion. Blake is a tough one. He's been on the decline for a while, and most of this season he was pretty inconsistent in all facets. But he turned it around at the end of the season and, more importantly, the playoffs. He will command a ton of money, and I think the Avs might be better served to give that money to Skraskins and Clark and maybe another blueliner (Carney?). Liles is a restricted FA and he needs to come back (and improve his defensive play). Their other d-men, Brisebois, Vaananen and Sauer, are pretty much crap. Brisebois and Sauer had a TERRIBLE postseason - hopefully bad enough for PL to jettison them.

There's one really big FA name for the forwards...Joe Sakic. I'm a bit worried the Avs are going to try play hardball with his salary. some team is going to have some money to throw at him. But Colorado needs him more than ever before. They are pencil thin down the middle. They have GREAT wingers locked up: Tanguay (restricted), Hejduk, Svatos, Wolski, Laperriere, Konowalchuk and Brunette. That's a lot of talent. But they need centers. After Sakic, Brett McLean is really the only decent guy, and he really belongs on the 3rd or 4th line. Brad Richardson didn't pan out much, Pierre Turgeon had flashes should be gone. Dan Hinote is a free agent, and I'm happy to see him try to draw penalties and miss open nets for another team. They need a center or two, preferably one with size. Jason Arnott would look pretty nice in burgondy.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #774
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'm just amazed by the Ducks.
It's amazing what happens when a team goes out and gets an experienced GM with a track record of success and gives him the authority to make tough decisions.

You know, as opposed to some kid who can learn on the job and doesn't mind reporting to a committee.

Excuse me, I have to go peel off on my own skin now.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #775
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh, and most critical of all, Alex Tanguay needs to play like he can. He's maddening to watch. For many games, he's the best player on the ice (for either team) and makes his teammates better. Other games, he doesn't disappear like some players. Nope, he's very visible, because he's making lazy passes, skating offsides, and other boneheaded moves that are very apparent.

He is Colorado's best player and needs to start playing like it.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #776
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
It's amazing what happens when a team goes out and gets an experienced GM with a track record of success and gives him the authority to make tough decisions.

You know, as opposed to some kid who can learn on the job and doesn't mind reporting to a committee.

Excuse me, I have to go peel off on my own skin now.

I appreciate the opportunity to pick on the Leads. But I think what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that the Ducks have kind of built a Cup contender...by accident. I know that Neil Smith has been going on and on about Burke, but I really think they've gotten lucky more than anything else.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #777
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Are the playoffs catching on in Anaheim or Carolina or is the enthusiasm limited to the 20,000 in the arena?

The 'canes have a fair amount of support in the area. It's not ACC basketball by any stretch, but they are selling out the arena and there are a fair number of other fans around. I know at work we've got some guys with season tickets going to the games, others that play rec hockey and follow the games, and people like me that just enjoy following along.

The bigger issues is for the 'canes to SUSTAIN this momentum. This area went nuts when they made the cup run, only to watch the team tank the next season and play with no heart, and the lockout didn't help any. So it'll take a bit for them to get everyone back in line, especially if the owner insists on doubling ticket prices for the conference finals (which is ticking off A LOT of season ticket holders that helped the team overcome the lockout fan funk; where's the "thank-you" they keep talking about?)
Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #778
bbor
Pro Starter

Leafs officially hire Paul Maurice this morning.

JFJ is now officially a lame duck GM as the Leafs refuse to extend him.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #779
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
The bigger issues is for the 'canes to SUSTAIN this momentum. This area went nuts when they made the cup run, only to watch the team tank the next season and play with no heart, and the lockout didn't help any. So it'll take a bit for them to get everyone back in line, especially if the owner insists on doubling ticket prices for the conference finals (which is ticking off A LOT of season ticket holders that helped the team overcome the lockout fan funk; where's the "thank-you" they keep talking about?)

Truthfully, I am worried about this coming offseason. Lots of pieces to this year's team need to be re-signed and Laviolette needs to be re-upped, as well. However, I don't know whether Karmanos is willing to spend (and eat losses if they don't make the playoffs) for just a little bit longer in order to sustain a long-term success that will allow the fan base to solidify. They worked under a self-imposed $28 million cap this year because of revenue sharing. If they can keep the pieces together and the team can get at least a couple more deep runs in the playoffs, I think they can sustain the momentum even in bad times, but if it looks like they'll become the Florida Marlins (winning this year, selling off the next), it'll kill the team really quick.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #780
kingfc22
Head Coach

Come on Sharks. Up 3-1 and again they are being severely outshot.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #781
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Holy...

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #782
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a horrible break on the end of the PP.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #783
caspanky
Mascot

If Toskala's gonna go after that puck, he needs to make absolutely sure that he get's it out of there. It almost seemed like he just kinda flicked at it. Need to finish the play and get it out.
caspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #784
kingfc22
Head Coach

San Jose has fallen apart here.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #785
caspanky
Mascot

This is ugly. They can't seem to do anything right now. I don't know what's wrong, but they need to fix it quickly.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #786
kingfc22
Head Coach

Officiating in this series has been a joke. These refs have just flat out swallowed their whistles. And it has been equally bad both ways.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #787
caspanky
Mascot

I admit that he deserved taht cross check call, but how the hell does the Oiler that threw at least 3 punches not get any kind of penalty at all?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #788
caspanky
Mascot

This game is over. Back to San Jose for Sunday. I guess with how good the Sharks have been playing since March really, there had to be a bad game sooner or later. Hopefully they turn it around for Sunday.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #789
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I appreciate the opportunity to pick on the Leads. But I think what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that the Ducks have kind of built a Cup contender...by accident. I know that Neil Smith has been going on and on about Burke, but I really think they've gotten lucky more than anything else.

Well, I don't know about that. Some things have worked out. But there have been actively strong decisions as well. Every winning team has some luck in composing the roster it does, but at what point do your unexpected key free agent pickups and trade throw in successes stop being luck and start being intelligent talent evaluation? I think there's a lot more solid decision-making then you think, and it also goes back for a while. Burke is the best GM we have had, IMO, but Bryan Murray and Pierre Gauthier are no slouches. Murray sent a team to the Cup finals three years ago, adding key components to a roster largely assembled by Gauthier. So this is an organization that has had its up and downs, but its history of decision-making is better than you think.

Take a look at the current playoff roster:

LW

Chris Kunitz-- Signed out of NCAA in 2003 (Ferris State)
Jeff Friesen-- Acquired from WAS for a 2nd rounder at the deadline
Todd Fedoruk-- Acquired from PHI for a 2nd rounder before 2005-06 season
Travis Moen-- Acquired from CHI for LW/RW Mikael Holmqvist before 2005-06 season
Dustin Penner-- Signed out of NCAA in 2004 (Maine)

The Ducks used good scouting of the NCAA to build this up. Penner may be out of nowhere to you, but he dominated the AHL this year (84 pts in 57 games), and he's a big physical player like Burke likes (see Bertuzzi, Todd). No, he ain't talented like Bertuzzi of course, but this kid can play. Actually signed by Murray. Fedoruk and Moen are mostly just muscle, but they are also solid team guys, both acquired by Burke. Kunitz is a good fit for a speedier NHL (Murray), and Friesen is another get by Burke (although the only one I think we overpaid for, unfortunately).

C

Andy McDonald-- Signed out of NCAA in 2000 (Colgate)
Rob Niedermayer-- Acquired from CAL for D Mike Commodore and G J.F. Damphousse in 2003
Samuel Pahlsson-- Acquired from BOS for D Patrick Traverse and RW/LW Andrei Nazarov
Todd Marchant-- Claimed off of waivers from CBJ in November, 2005
Ryan Getzlaf-- Drafted 1 (19) in 2003

This is where Ducks management really hit it out of the park. McDonald is another result of a devotion to scouting the NCAA. Pahlsson, one of the most underrated defensive forwards in the league, was a steal for a reserve D and an enforcer. Both by Gauthier. Marchant and Nieds II are just smart veteran buys with excellent intangibles. Niedermayer was stolen from CAL (by Murray)for two prospects (Commodore is on the Canes now, BTW), and Marchant was waived as a result of the Fedorov trade. This was actually planned, as Marchant was discussed to be a part of that trade, but Burke couldn't make it work (or maybe he guessed what they would do, so he didn't cave).

RW

Teemu Selanne-- Signed as a UFA from COL before 2005-06 season
Joffrey Lupul-- Drafted 1 (7) in 2002
Corey Perry-- Drafted 1 (28) in 2003
Jonathon Hedstrom-- Acquired from TOR for two low (sub-5th round) picks in 2000

The move for Selanne was brilliant, but very risky. Coming off injuries, questions about him aging, and his worst ever season, Teemu was a risk for Burke. He signed the best offensive player on the team for $1 M! Teemu's turnaround is one of hockey's great stories this year (and he fills the stands, too). Lupul and Perry are a result of the terrific scouting set up by Gauthier. Lupul was a no-brainer for Gauthier, but getting Perry late in the 1st was a coup for Murray. Lupul has been one of the acknowledged growing talents in the league. Does anyone remember the star of the Memorial Cup last year? Not Crosby. His Rimouski squad was beaten by London--and Memorial Cup MVP Perry (130 points in 60 games). Not gonna tout Hedstrom right now (left team for personal reasons), but he didn't cost much and his absence allowed Penner to play.

D

Scott Niedermayer-- Signed as UFA from NJD before 2005-06 season
Ruslan Salei-- Drafted 1 (9) in 1996
Vitaly Vishnevski-- Drafted 1 (5) in 1998
Francois Beachemin-- Acquired with C Tyler Wright from CBJ for C Sergei Fedorov (& a 5th rounder) in November, 2005
Sean O'Donnell-- Acquired from PHX for C Joel Perrault
Joe DiPenta-- Signed as UFA from VAN before 2005-06 season
Jason Marshall-- Signed as UFA from NYR before 2005-06 season

This is all Burkey. He signed three of these guys, and traded for two others. It starts with Niedermayer, probably the single most important acquisition by any GM in last year's crazy summer spree. This guy is just amazing. I always knew he was great, but getting to see him play every day...wow. He has literally turned Beachemin from a decent all around D to an up-and-comer, aside form his own play. And we can give an assist to Murray and his trade for Rob, since Scott signed with us because he wanted to play with his bro. Gauthier drafted Salei and Vish a long time ago to be the defensive presence behind Selanne-Rucchin-Kariya. That line is gone, but those big, physical D-men are still here. O'Donnell, DiPenta and Marshall are also all huge and physical, a Burke trend.

G

J.S. Giguere-- Acquired from CAL in 2000 for a 2nd rounder
Ilya Bryzgalov-- Drafted 2 (44) in 2000

No need to prop Jiggy. He's been inconsistent this year, but you can't argue with a Conn Smythe winner. Bryz might be a surprise to some, but he's actually been one of the best GK prospects in hockey for the past few years. He outplayed Jiggy this year in the regular season, too. Gauthier, who also acquired Jiggy for relatively cheap, traded three lower picks to move up in the 2nd round just to get Bryzgalov. So he definitely spotted the talent.

So what was luck here? I'll give Beauchemin was unexpected, but he was also a guy who didn't get much of a chance in the NHL before this season. So he was a little bit unknown. I don't feel Penner is luck. That's good scouting.

Now look at the guys who have left the squad the past couple seasons. Rucchin, LeClerc, Ozolinsh, Carney, Gerber, Fedorov, Havelid. While these are all legit NHL players, did any of them besides Gerber really have a break out season this year? And Gerbs was traded to the Canes simply for the reason that the Ducks wanted to give him a chance to start somewhere (and they had Bryz on the way).

Burke deserves a ton of credit for this team (as well as Murray and Gauthier), and we still have three high first rounders, including Bobby Ryan, on the way to the big squad.

Burke also hired relative unknown (in coaching) Randy Carlyle. Terrific choice for a GM who has a dedicated vision of his brand of hockey and found a coach who agreed with him 100%.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:57 AM   #790
Vince
Pro Starter

There's the Chief Rum we know and love -- where you been, buddy?

Ugh...what a horrid game for the Sharks. I was at the San Jose Giants game tonight, and stopped actively checking up on the game once we sat down (it was 2-1 Sharks at that point). Middle of about the 6th inning, my dad gets me on the phone, complaining about the Sharks, and I find out what happened. Ugh. I really, REALLY hope that Toskala can play his normal style of game on Sunday -- this sort of game can ruin someone's confidence, and the Oilers now have ALL the momentum.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:40 AM   #791
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
There's the Chief Rum we know and love -- where you been, buddy?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #792
bbor
Pro Starter

CR....One thing you have to admit.Burke did very little to secure Niedermeyer.He basically fell into his lap when he agreed to re-sign Rob N.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #793
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
CR....One thing you have to admit.Burke did very little to secure Niedermeyer.He basically fell into his lap when he agreed to re-sign Rob N.

Well, yes and no. Yes, having Rob on the team was a tremendous advantage. But, Burke also had to resign Rob last year. I don't recall if Rob was restricted or unrestricted, but if he wanted to push the issue he could have. Burke made it worth his while to stay.

And while having Rob there is certainly an advantage, I don't think it was a shoo-in at all that Scott would come here, or that the Ducks would offer him what they did. The Ducks had maybe $8-9 M in salary cap space, and they gave Scott the max. When he signed it pretty much harpooned anything else they could do (Selanne really was a brilliant deal; the Ducks couldn't have counted on that happening). So Burke was also making a risky move in committing all of that remaining cap space to one player.

So did we have an advantage? Most definitely. But Burke still deserves a lot of credit here.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #794
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Actually, the Neidermayer signing was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to work around the salary cap. "All these teams are offering me the max, but I'll sign with you if you also kick a few extra millions to my third-line brother". Can't blame Burke for finding a way to beat the system.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #795
Pyser
Pro Rookie

yeah, neidermeyer signed for a mil less a year than the devils offered.

fucker.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #796
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well, 5-1......ok Devils. Let's go ahead and win this thing and get back into this series.

Speaking of, looking ahead..is there anyone in the minors or in juniors who is the heir apparent to Brodeur?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #797
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

A couple of things to watch for in tonight's game...

In the game four win, Ottawa only played Heatley and Spezza for about 12 minutes each. Even given that neither guy can or will play defense, that's a pretty surprising stat. Will be interesting to see if Murray shows more faith in them tonight with last change.

Also, there's a lot of hand-wringing up here about the crowds at the Scotia Place. They've been ... um... a little tame so far this year. It doesn't help matter that the Senators insist on handing out those ridiculous ThunderStix to fans on their way in. Those things were cute in the 2002 MLB playoffs, in open-air stadiums. But at a hockey game? There's been a lot of talk on the radio and in the editorial pages along the lines of "hey folks, put the balloons down and try actually cheering for a change". Let's see if the fans respond.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #798
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The thunderstix have truly jumped the shark. But that company is probably rolling the dough.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #799
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
The thunderstix have truly jumped the shark.
Keep in mind Ottawa is the same team that:
- Still plays the "Woo-Hoo" song when they score
- Wants to be called "Hockey Country", even though everyone already calls Detroit "Hockeytown"
- Tried to do the "white-out" after Winnipeg moved, but quit because Phoenix(!) did it better
- Tried to do the "red-out" this year, even though the Flames were already doing it better

The way they work up here, just be thankful they haven't adopted "the Wave" and "Who Let the Dogs Out" as their playoff traditions.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #800
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Keep in mind Ottawa is the same team that:
- Still plays the "Woo-Hoo" song when they score
- Wants to be called "Hockey Country", even though everyone already calls Detroit "Hockeytown"
- Tried to do the "white-out" after Winnipeg moved, but quit because Phoenix(!) did it better
- Tried to do the "red-out" this year, even though the Flames were already doing it better

The way they work up here, just be thankful they haven't adopted "the Wave" and "Who Let the Dogs Out" as their playoff traditions.

I love the championship banners from the original Sens personally. That's awesome. lol...