Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #751
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
That's because I have yet to get to A) Pitchers in RF, and B) The second problem is because I'm actually playing games and not auto simming a hundred years and then complaining about every issue found.

If knowing this stuff is there & you're able to ignore it because it hasn't cropped up yet in your personally played games is working for you, then all I can say is "you go boy".

Seriously, if you're enjoying it, more power to you. But damned if I understand how you're able to get past the bugs.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #752
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Jon, that seems to me like a guy who doesn't care if there was no flies ever in their soup. If there was a fly in anyone else's soup at any time since the resturaunt opened, he'd complain.

Again, this seems to be nothing more then someone gorging on 100 years of stats, and then complaining it made them sick. It's going to be fixed.

Maybe I'm pollyanna-ing it, but as I said, I haven't run into the show stoppers reported, and I have faith in SI + markus (admittedly more faith in the former then the latter) to fix what folks are seeing.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #753
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
If knowing this stuff is there & you're able to ignore it because it hasn't cropped up yet in your personally played games is working for you, then all I can say is "you go boy".

Seriously, if you're enjoying it, more power to you. But damned if I understand how you're able to get past the bugs.

For the exact reasons we play other games as well. Look at the tremendous amount of fixes and changes there were after Civ4 came out (the list ran into the hundreds) but many, many enjoyed right out of the box. Go back to Civ2 and its ludicrous AI but many, many played it regularly for 10+ years. Witness my years of playing OOTP5 which I am still enjoying immensely. No one can be serious in saying that OOTP5 is better than OOTP2006. Also look at the many that enjoyed playing BBCF. Which would rather do - get what enjoyment you can out of a game (if it's a game you would love) or sit around bitch without enjoying anything? High expectation is the devil here. For the record, I did not OOTP2006 nor did I buy BBCF. But I did like reading about those that did have fun with these games.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #754
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Witness my years of playing OOTP5 which I am still enjoying immensely. No one can be serious in saying that OOTP5 is better than OOTP2006.

You could certainly say this and be serious.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #755
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's going to be fixed.

And that's the part that I'm incredulous that anybody actually believes.

AFAIK Markus is still behind the wheel regardless of whatever company label happens to be on the (figurative) game box. And the next thing he fixes ... well, let's just say that I believe the track record on that score is pretty damned bad.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #756
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And the next thing he fixes ... .

I wish he would just stop making things worse. The AI is so godawful, it's like it might as well be completely random. Have the AI set up your minors and have a good laugh.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #757
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Again, this seems to be nothing more then someone gorging on 100 years of stats, and then complaining it made them sick. It's going to be fixed.

Ridiculous. If I see issues in a sim of 100 years, those roster problems are there in year #1. The reason for a 100 year sim is to have more things to look at. I can look at a ton of MVP winners and track their careers with ease. I can look at multiple draft classes and see how they turned out.

You can't make the mistake and pretend that seeing gigantic errors in AI behavior over a 100 year sim isn't going to impact you because you sim one game at a time.

Those problems start on the day you start your career. If the AI has an issue releasing/resigning the same player in a single day, it's going to pop up instantly. Your thinking is flawed in that regard.

I don't care if you like the game or play it constantly. Good for you. You can overlook issues and I'm happy for you. And I hope against hope the AI issues are fixed. There is a good game in here somewhere, I just wish I didn't have to wade through the bugs and goofy AI to find it.

Your analogy with Jon was that he would be complaining if a fly popped up in someone elses soup. Thing is, he never told you not to enjoy the game, he asked you how you could enjoy it with those errors.

Now, maybe you didn't see the fly and ate it anyway. Maybe you LIKE flies in your soup. Maybe you were content to not complain about the fly because you KNEW they were going to get the steak right. That's all fine and good. I have no issues with anyone enjoying the game and will NOT insult them or their intelligence.

On the other hand, I'm not going to listen to you continue to portray those who have found major flaws in the game as whiners, people who harp on the mundane or people who are just looking for something to bitch about. Again, nobody here has done that. The criticism of the game has been fair and shockingly minimal. You play the game and enjoy it (and I'm happy you haven't ran into any bugs, good for you) I'll play the game after patch 1 and determine if it fits my needs or not.

I'll then reply to the board and give my opinion. i'll do the same after every additional patch. And if it isn't patched to my satisfaction, I'll put the game on the shelf and move on. And you'll be playing. Both are reasonable things.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #758
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I'll then reply to the board and give my opinion. i'll do the same after every additional patch. And if it isn't patched to my satisfaction, I'll put the game on the shelf and move on. And you'll be playing. Both are reasonable things.

Yes, both are very reasonable things. But we see other things here that are not reasonable. It's one thing to report bugs and either wait patiently until they are fixed or workaround them and enjoy what you can, but it's another thing to be so angry as Jon and lynch are doing as if to will the game to be better (or to get others angry enough to not buy the game). That's what we see way too much of on the internet.

I may bitch about a lot of things but not games (anymore). There are several games that I will always enjoy playing and life is too short not to be playing those. If a new game comes along that gets into my rotation (like Civ4), that's awesome. But if there are games that I anticipated that was only worth playing once (like Pirates) or not worth getting much into (like Godfather), that's cool too. I sometimes state my opinions because I value some of the opinions I have read from others but I don't make an issue out any game meeting/not meeting personal expectations.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #759
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Perhaps a better word would be "enjoyable", or "pleasurable". That's where I believe this fails, there's simply no way in hell I could enjoy a game with the sort of bugs this one has shipped with.

It should live up to the "one more turn" standard I think. I've had this with Civ builder-type games all the time, and had it for a bit with FBCB (still have to get back to that one). I look forward to my MP leagues in this manner. I don't have it with OOTP2006 yet (never got it with v5), which might be a result of not having the ideal settings for me. I want to check out how the functions work...but they might not all be very fun. That, and eliminating the bugs/crashes.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #760
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
lynch are doing as if to will the game to be better (or to get others angry enough to not buy the game).

Well I wish I didn't buy the first day and that someone else had found these problems and warned me. I'd like very much to play this game and enjoy it. I am of the opinion that most of the people on this board would not want to play this game in the state that it is in.

I am angry and annoyed. I at least have a better reason then Jon though, this game has throughly pissed me off. It is so annoying that they added 500 stupid countries and leagues and the AI is much worse then it was in the last version. It's infuriating that they have taken a giant step backwards. Now if you read the OOTP board you'll find people that I should have expected that, but you read the marketing materials and let me know if I should have anticipated what they delievered out the door after 2 years.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #761
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I happen to like the varied opinions of the game and it's perceived state of progress. I'm smart enough to be able to tell if someone has an axe to grind, if they are bitter because of dashed expectations, or are happy drinking the kool-aid. In any case, the more feedback the better. I think we've seen our share of games that were doomed from the very start (MF), games that started out strong but were killed dead by a failure to be timely with a patch (BBCF) and games that, while imperfect, keep on chigging along (Civ4). In each case, there are the "Fanboys" and the "Haters", but any insight anyone can provide into the game is good stuff IMO.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 06-06-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #762
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
I happen to like the varied opinions of the game and it's perceived state of progress. I'm smart enough to be able to tell if someone has an axe to grind, if they are bitter because of dashed expectations, or are happy drinking the kool-aid. In any case, the more feedback the better. I think we've seen our share of games that were doomed from the very start (MF), games that started out strong but were killed dead by a failure to be timely with a patch (BBCF) and games that, while imperfect, keep on chigging along (Civ4). In each case, there are the "Fanboys" and the "Haters", but any insight anyone can provide into the game is good stuff IMO.

I agree that insight is good. I also agree that one has to be smart enough to filter out those with "an axe to grind, if they are bitter because of dashed expectations, or are happy drinking the kool-aid". However, I take analysis and insights with a grain of salt - even the stuff Troy has done. The reason is simple: they are not me. You think I would have stuck with OOTP5 for as long as I have if I listened to all of the criticisms of that game? I found my comfort zone and groove with OOTP5 to make me come back every year to play - but I do not expect anyone else to share that experience nor do I want to have anyone else to agree with the way I play it. I do keep an open mind regarding new releases (as I have read everything on OOTP2006 and on BBCF, TDCB as well). But as I have said nearly every single time we get a thread like this, I believe no one should have to like or desperately want to like a game (or to get others to love or hate the game). That's where the friction between the fanboys and haters come from.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #763
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Buccaneer

I think most people are just frustrated with the new ootp 2006 is because the same AI bugs are still showing up on the new engine like it did on past versions. Markus been told over and over about these problems and it never gets fix.

Seems Like Markus likes to add a lot of new features and care less about the AI to a lot of people.

The same AI waivers, trades and release still existed. Its very frustrating to see the AI do crazy when it comes to waivers, releases and trade.

Seems like Markus use the same coding for the new engine too. A lot of people tought it will be done from scratch.

If the coding was done from scratch, then it must be the logic behind the coding that still causing the Ai problems. Maybe Markus is just not understanding something.

I hope and hope that the upcoming patches with SI support can finally fix these AI bugs.

In the meantime I am staying with OOTP 6.5 and so close in getting Puresim 2007 soon.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #764
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I hope and hope that the upcoming patches with SI support can finally fix these AI bugs.

And if not, do you scream some more or get more frustrated? Or do you move on (or back) to something else? Last year, I got an email from an insider regarding the "squeeky wheel" process. You would be surprised at how much of that is ignored. Most companies will work to improve upon the release but under their rules while putting on a good public face.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #765
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24

the AI is much worse then it was in the last version. It's infuriating that they have taken a giant step backwards.

I have to agree it really appears that this series has taken a HUGE step backwards. It is very frustrating of fans of the series that this has occurred. I think it is partially unfair to 100% blame Marcus. SI should share in large part some of the blame. I am jsut assuming they had ultimate control over the Beta and Alpha testing along with Marcus. This producted was rushed out to make a buck well Euro and it really does show.Hey, I will be optimistic and say lets see what tomorrow brings.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #766
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Well I wish I didn't buy the first day and that someone else had found these problems and warned me. I'd like very much to play this game and enjoy it. I am of the opinion that most of the people on this board would not want to play this game in the state that it is in.

I am angry and annoyed. I at least have a better reason then Jon though, this game has throughly pissed me off. It is so annoying that they added 500 stupid countries and leagues and the AI is much worse then it was in the last version. It's infuriating that they have taken a giant step backwards. Now if you read the OOTP board you'll find people that I should have expected that, but you read the marketing materials and let me know if I should have anticipated what they delievered out the door after 2 years.

While I am a bit peeved( actually quite a bit) that the same idiotic things happen over and over again with the AI, I am thrilled that there are "500 stupid countries and leagues". Nothing like putzing around with a Turkmenistani league for a while if I want!
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #767
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker
Nothing like putzing around with a Turkmenistani league for a while if I want!

That they can deliver. As long as the season doesn't occur in the winter, because then all your stats will disappear on 1/1.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #768
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... to be so angry as Jon and lynch are doing as if to will the game to be better (or to get others angry enough to not buy the game). That's what we see way too much of on the internet.

That last bit is what we disagree on. I'd say that the sports text sim community, such that it is, is far too forgiving of mediocrity or worse.

In it's current condition, I'd say the game could be fairly described as a piece of crap with essentially zero value to me. It may be a pretty piece of crap, it might be a statisically loaded piece of crap, but it's a still a steaming pile of crap with a persistent crop of errors that I find downright comical.

Given that I'd really like to someday see a baseball product for p.c. that would at least get in the neighborhood of "holy grail" status, and given that I don't believe there's any realistic reason to hope at this point that one Markus is instrumental in designing is ever going to meet that standard, I'm not exactly sitting here wishing & hoping that this thing breaks sales records in its current configuration.

That said, I have to admit that I was probably hoping against hope prior to release, faint though it may have been, that SI had a magic wand in their arsenal, one that would overcome the obstacles that the game has faced for a number of years now. I like Marc Vaughn (or at least his persona here at FOFC, that's all I've really got to go on), I don't have anything specifically against SI, if this had been on target I could have bought it with clear conscience & had a shot at enjoying it. I wasn't at all optimistic, but somewhere I probably held out a little bit of hope y'know? One of those cases where I wouldn't have minded too much being wrong, improbable though that may seem.

Instead, the comedy hasn't even required an effort to find. It isn't Maxmium Baseblal quality humor, but that doesn't mean it's not funny either. Sad, but funny.

But I think you're also misinterpreting something, specifically my "anger". You should be able to tell by now when I'm legit mad versus some other shade on the emotional color wheel. But FTR, this isn't what "anger" looks like, not from me at least. Granted I don't sugarcoat a whole lot of things & I don't feel the least bit apologetic if I take some shots that I firmly believed are well deserved. Given the state of this game at release I think SI ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting it hit the streets, just like I said earlier. I'm mildly amused (although hardly surprised) that the game is getting kid glove treatment from so many here, that was pretty predictable too. And, if I'm either bored enough or eager enough to find any distraction from work that I should be doing to point out the lack of wardrobe on the Emperor, then I may do that when the mood strikes me. But none of that is particuarly "angry".

And if bothers somebody, then I suggest they tell the buck naked motherfucking Emperor to put on some damn clothes, cause as long as he walks around starkers there's nobody to blame but himself when people point & laugh at his ... ahem ... "shortcomings".
Old 06-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #769
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm with Jimga on this one. I was cautiously optimistic about this project, and I'd like nothing better than to have a good baseball game. Part of my optimism is from my experience with EHM and FM. The caution came from the fact that while I was a big devotee of riz's free games, pre-SI, I had been pretty horrified by what I had seen from OOTP in it's earlier versions. The bugs/mishaps being reported here are, in fact, comical, and part of the comedy is that they are versions old.

Right now I have no confidence that there will ever be a good pc baseball sim.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #770
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's because I have yet to get to A) Pitchers in RF, and B) The second problem is because I'm actually playing games and not auto simming a hundred years and then complaining about every issue found.

Edit: By the time I get there, it will be fixed (like the issue in B) about pitchers playing the field which is fixed in TOMMORROW'S patch.

You HOPE it's fixed in the patch tomorrow, because if it's not.. what then?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #771
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
You HOPE it's fixed in the patch tomorrow, because if it's not.. what then?
The world comes to and end......

Oh wait, that was today.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #772
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think it comes down to (in one aspect) that I have and have had ZERO loyalty, faith, expectation or optimism regarding any developer, publisher or product line. That includes Firaxis (which has tripped up) and any in the text sim world. Therefore, I believe was came before has little bearing on what will come next. Judge each product as they are released and on its own merits. Loyalty (however you define it) leads you into trouble and unrealistic expectations.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #773
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
This producted was rushed out to make a buck well Euro and it really does show.

A Euro? lol
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #774
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

Right now I have no confidence that there will ever be a good pc baseball sim.
You are quite possibly the least constructive person I have seen on this board.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #775
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't know if "playable" is really the correct word for this situation.

Is it playable? Based on the various reports I'm reading here, yeah, the game by & large functions, it runs (more often than not), etc. In short, it is playable.

Perhaps a better word would be "enjoyable", or "pleasurable". That's where I believe this fails, there's simply no way in hell I could enjoy a game with the sort of bugs this one has shipped with. A problem that's compounded by how easily they were spotted. I mean, c'mon Fozzie, the HTML reports alone provided examples of some of the most egregious problems (the multi-position pitchers, the retirement age players in rookie ball). AFAIC, those are downright embarassing problems, and it boggles my mind that SI isn't embarassed by them being released to the world. And I mean that exactly, it is truly mind boggling to me that they don't seem to be embarassed by it, and it's almost equally mind-boggling to me that the criticism they've received for it hasn't been a hundredfold what I've seen here. I just can't fathom the acceptance of problems like that.

Clearly, YMMV, I'm cool with that. I'm a guy who'll say that he feels like he got his money's worth out of last year's version of Baseball Mogul, which is a decidedly minority opinion here. It most definitely had a number of flaws but I managed to find a way to wrest some enjoyment out of it, enough so that I feel like the purchase was a fair bargain. Point being, I'm fine with enjoying something that isn't universally acclaimed, I'm okay with you enjoying something I find laughable. (Hell, I don't think there's too many people here who would understand why I'm having such a blast with a recently released professional bull riding quick-play game for the tabletop, but I'm happy as a lark with it right now & would really like to shut down all other activity and just play it all day for a few weeks straight).

Anyhow, like I was saying, I'm okay with you and whoever enjoying the game, but damned if I can understand how you're able to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy pitchers in right field and A-Rod clones playing three years of minor league ball as they approach their 40th birthday.

It's funny you mentioned Baseball Mogul in this post because I also think I got my money's worth out of that game. Like you said the game was full of problems and it wasn't one of the better games that I've played but I enjoyed myself for a month or two before moving on to other games. I'm finding basically the same experience so far with OOTP 2006. There's no denying there are tons of stuff that needs fixed, but I'm still having fun with the game at this point. That being said...I think if someone wants to recreate the MLB they are going to be disappointed at this point. Now whether or not OOTP gets more than a month or two of play out of me will depend on the patches. Baseball Mogul failed in this and the patches just didn't address enough for me to keep playing. I'm really hoping that the patches for OOTP have more success, but if not I won't classify the game as a complete disaster just another game that I got my money's worth out of and put aside after a month or two.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #776
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
You've simmed a hundred years and looked back at the almanac to confirm this? Or at least someone did?

Why do you have to sim 100 years to see if pitchers are playing in the field late in games?

I had a league that I created pre-patch. Looking at GS and the top 30 pitchers, there were 22 that played a position in the field at some point during the season.

With the patch, I ran a year of the same league and looked at the same 30 pitchers. None of them played in the field. I looked at ~25 other pitchers and none of them played in the field either. I couldn't find a pitcher that had played any position other than pitcher.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #777
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
That they can deliver. As long as the season doesn't occur in the winter, because then all your stats will disappear on 1/1.

oops, didnt know that. Maybe its time to fire up a 100 team league based in ST. Kitts and Nevis(in the summer)
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #778
spleen1015
Coordinator

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=120897

This is a list of everything addressed in the first patch.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #779
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=120897

This is a list of everything addressed in the first patch.

I look forward to getting home tonight, d/l and playing this.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #780
Bee
Pro Starter

Did anyone see on the list if Markus fixed the problem with the AI evaluation of veterans with large contracts? I didn't see it, but there was so much stuff on the list I might have missed it.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #781
Galaril
Pro Starter

So as was said by Marc is true, this is basicall yto clean alot of the buges and glitches that slipped through the BETA process. All I can say is I am not a BETA tester by trade, but I am an IT Auditor, with 10 years experience in IT, and I do audit Systems Development for many big Financial Invetsment Firms. So, if I saw a Sy Developers release aproduct to their users that had this many issues it would be a finding against them in the audit report. This is poor IMHO.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #782
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Did anyone see on the list if Markus fixed the problem with the AI evaluation of veterans with large contracts? I didn't see it, but there was so much stuff on the list I might have missed it.

I doubt it is. I'm not playing tonight with the assumption everything has been fixed in a week. I'm going to see if the experience is better the same or worse.

I won't close judgement on the game until patch #2.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #783
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
So as was said by Marc is true, this is basicall yto clean alot of the buges and glitches that slipped through the BETA process. All I can say is I am not a BETA tester by trade, but I am an IT Auditor, with 10 years experience in IT, and I do audit Systems Development for many big Financial Invetsment Firms. So, if I saw a Sy Developers release aproduct to their users that had this many issues it would be a finding against them in the audit report. This is poor IMHO.

That was pretty painful to read, but this is game programming not industrial or government IT in a controlled environment on controlled systems. Like it or not, all PC games fall under this release/patch cycle.

The long list of changes is encouraging, but also a bit misleading. Some of them are fairly small fixes. I think the major AI bugs will be addressed in patch 2 or beyond. Having gone though the FM release/patch cycle, I will say that the FM's (and presumably OOTP's) complexity leads to alot of patch updates (and you probably never want to start a serious career in FM until patch #2) but in the end the game is really solid. I think the verdict on OOTP 2006 though is still out.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-07-2006 at 10:05 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #784
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I doubt it is. I'm not playing tonight with the assumption everything has been fixed in a week. I'm going to see if the experience is better the same or worse.

I won't close judgement on the game until patch #2.

Yep, I don't expect everything to be fixed with this patch (and I would be surprised if a few bugs aren't introduced with all those fixes), but for some reason the inability of the AI to recognize value in veterans just because they have large contracts annoys me more than just about anything else. I was hoping it would make it into the first patch.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #785
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
With the patch, I ran a year of the same league and looked at the same 30 pitchers. None of them played in the field. I looked at ~25 other pitchers and none of them played in the field either. I couldn't find a pitcher that had played any position other than pitcher.

Thanks spleen!! Now that's music to my ears.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #786
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Why do you have to sim 100 years to see if pitchers are playing in the field late in games?

I had a league that I created pre-patch. Looking at GS and the top 30 pitchers, there were 22 that played a position in the field at some point during the season.

Because of sample size?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #787
DanGarion
Coordinator

I welcome our new patch overlords.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #788
cuervo72
Head Coach

BTW...from one who deals with BOSI exports and any number of custom csv's generated from them...can I just say that the decision to move to semicolons in the exports sucks donkey balls? That and all the extra quotation marks?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #789
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
You are quite possibly the least constructive person I have seen on this board.

Thanks.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #790
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Thanks.

Considering the folks on this board, that is quite an achievement.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #791
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Because of sample size?

With that issue, sample size isn't important. That problem was happening all of the time. So, I'm confident that looking at 1 year is okay.

Also, I have been checking it here and there with leagues I've created with the patch and haven't seen it once.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #792
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Maybe the BIGGEST patch I've seen on paper.

This is the fixlist so far. Not every fix is listed in the changelist though, generally it's the major issues

OOTP Baseball 2006

This is a patch for the original release of OOTP Baseball 2006. Every effort has been made to ensure that save games and quickstarts are compatible.

-----

Additions

Added the option to disable the news ticker to the game preferences
Added "Run computer manager on all teams" to the "Other Functions" menu of the league setup
Added ratings to the player lists used in the transaction screen and the trade screen
Added the option to turn off playoffs
Added the option to prevent any AI moves on computer controlled teams
Added the option to erase the service time of every player
Added more checks for a human controlled lineup before entering the game screen (#1617)

General

Fixed Draft Log report will now show 10 rounds per page instead of a single round per page
Fixed crash problems when creating very small leagues (less than 5 teams)
Fixed the problem of pitchers playing other positions too often late in ballgames
Fixed several scoring errors
Fixed crash when opening empty game logs
Fixed problems with rookie drafts being in the preseason
Fixed crashing on inning-ending injuries
Fixed problems with offering extensions during the offseason
Reports "Free Agents" and "Upcoming Free Agents" now on 4 pages each, one for each category
Team logo on player report now linked to team home page

#1029 - Autoplay does not stop when you get a trade offer
#1323 - Fixed free agent Compesation Draft Picks not being Given
#1348 - Fixed CF importing from OOTP 6.5, some did not get an overall fielding rating
#1405 - Fixed illegal number of pitcher problem
#1410 - Spring stats now appear in team reports
#1412 - Fixed inaugural draft report issue
#1416 - Fixed parser errors in reports (sometimes)
#1417 - Fixed game log error (sometimes)
#1420 - Fixed parse error when clicking on a player from History/Players
#1424 - Fixed filter coaches by league bug
#1425 - Fixed problem with crediting saves
#1430 - Fixed problems with player photos
#1435 - Fixed scorecard/box Score problem in Minors
#1445 - Fixed problem with amateur drafts
#1450 - Adjusted the platoon advantage for LH/RH Hitters vs. LH/RH pitching
#1454 - Improved batter development algorythm
#1457 - Fixed option year news item problem
#1459 - Improved AI minor league roster management
#1460 - Adjusted the frequency of staff members refusing to resign
#1461 - Fixed problem where the delete button on news items was too sensitive.
#1462 - Fixed problem where nations for cities changed to USA
#1463 - Fixed game not ending properly when hitting "enter" after the game ended
#1464 - Fixed stats problem concerning hits after game over
#1465 - Minor league staffing issues resolved
#1469 - Fixed drag and drop issue on disabled list
#1469 - Fixed drag&drop from DL to active roster
#1470 - Fixed problems with the AI messing with lineups when managing a minor league team
#1471 - Fixed ratings scales and reports
#1474 - Fixed default Minor League city repeating
#1475 - Fixed contract strangeness
#1476 - Fixed buttons not adding correct amounts on the contract screen
#1478 - Fixed some inaugral draft head scout rating issues
#1480 - Fixed splitseason issue with playoffs
#1481 - Fixed crashing on right-clicking on certain players
#1482 - Fixed unaffiliated minor league teams spending silly money on trades
#1483 - Fixed crashing after importing certain OOTP 6.5 leagues together with standard leagues
#1484 - Fixed issue where subleague was duplicated on setup page
#1490 - Fixed crash problem when asking manager to set up depth charts
#1493 - Fixed problems with nationalities and filters
#1496 - Fixed Taiwanese filter problem
#1497 - Fixed problems with insufficient players on AI rosters
#1498 - Fixed problem when you take players off the 40-man roster
#1501 - Fixed FTP upload errors
#1514 - Search for a city is no longer cap-sensitive
#1525 - Fixed players getting moved multiple times in one day (sometimes)
#1539 - Fixed problem where you could delete the currently active Universe!
#1540 - Historical leagues now only auto when both options enabled
#1542 - Improved trade AI when cash is involved
#1544 - Fixed crash when sorting players by nickname
#1547 - Fixed some DFA issues with player on minor league contracts
#1549 - Improved retiring logic
#1551 - Added notification on auto-fill lineups when the depth chart is not filled properly
#1552 - Added awards to the league news log
#1553 - Fixed League News page doesn't have weekly/monthy player awards
#1561 - Fixed in-game crash problems
#1565 - Fixed crash with DOB filter on roster screen
#1572 - Fixed missing results from game log
#1573 - Fixed incorrect position in reports
#1580 - Fixed human manager age calculation when creating new game
#1605 - Fixed Player Photo Assigments
#1605 - Adjusted player photo loading, named photos have priority now and png's work now
#1607 - Fixed unwanted AI substitutions when simming to inning X
#1607 - Fixed problem where when you sim the bottom 1/2 of an inning game will PH
#1610 - Fixed error message add_line_to_txt_file
#1611 - Fixed long ERA Cutoff on Player Pitching Splits Screen
#1611 - Fixed several cosmetic issues
#1614 - Improved rookie draft AI
#1614 - Balanced Drafting
#1615 - Fixed a problem with assigning SB stats on double-steals
#1615 - Fixed game issue concerning double steals where only the lead runner is credited with SB
#1617 - Fixed lineup bug with DH
#1621 - Fixed crash on injury "no batter?"
#1623 - Opening day starting pitchers selction improved
#1625 - Fixed difficulties Deleting League
#1626 - Fixed players becoming coaches birthdate
#1632 - Fixed player LOB calculation
#1639 - Improved opponent pitchers playing in the field
#1640 - Fixed issue where back to back homer line was called at incorrect times
#1645 - Fixed game log crash
#1648 - Fixed an historical league crash where there are not enough minor league players.
#1655 - Fixed some issues with expansion
#1656 - Joe is no longer a common name
#1658 - Fixed problems with substituting an injured DH
#1663 - Fixed a problem whereby too many pitchers were being created
#1664 - Fixed some fictional league crashes
#1665 - Fixed Pull down menu for year on HTML page only shows current year
#1666 - Fixed ground rule double glitch
#1670 - Fixed issues with the waiver wire not being displayed
#1676 - Fixed Depth Charts Crash
#1678 - History section no longer crashes
#1680 - Fixed problem with draft classes in imported leagues
#1682 - Fixed Japanese Free Agents happy to sign minor contracts
#1683 - Fixed Japanese Rule 5 Draft problems
#1686 - Fixed problem whereby when you took over a team you were unable to give extensions
#1687 - Improved bullpen usage AI
#1696 - Made players on the 60-day DL ineligible for the rule 5 draft
#1708 - Improved Minor League human manager lineups changed by AI
#1716 - Fixed play To selected day going 1 too many days
#1718 - Alt-tabbing no whilst simulating no longer stops the game from auto-playing
#1720 - Fixed transaction Screen Filters changing continually
#1723 - Fixed Deleted teams offering jobs
#1726 - Fixed league total historical modifier adjust not working for minors

Skins

Fixed Pearl skin loading times

Schedules

Added information to the schedule evaluation report
#1485 - Fixed scheduler bug (wrong number of home and away games
Added MAL2006 schedule renamed into the generic format
Fixed errors in the 1901-1952 major_league schedule files

Importing

Fixed problem with importing multiple OOTP 6 leagues into a signle OOTP 2006 game (#1495)

Play-by-Play and In-Game Text

Fixed issue with PbP showing a fielder named Davis when no player was named Davis
Fixed issue where text (nL) would show up in some PbP commentary(#1590)
Fixed issue where (%game fielder] was displayed(#1591)
Fixed issue where "OBP" was incorrectly written as "OPB"
Fixed issue where player is credited with a sacrifice bunt when the runner didn't advance (#1570)
Fixed hard coded reference to Drysdale
Old 06-07-2006, 12:06 PM   #793
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

If I hear good news after this patch, my credit card will get some use tonight.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #794
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
dola,

If I hear good news after this patch, my credit card will get some use tonight.

You might try the demo first. Supposedly it's the patched version and allows 6 months of play.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #795
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
You might try the demo first. Supposedly it's the patched version and allows 6 months of play.

Is the demo out yet?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #796
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe the BIGGEST patch I've seen on paper.

Have you seen any of Paradox Interactive's patches patch list?

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-07-2006 at 12:28 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #797
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Is the demo out yet?

EDIT - Sometime today.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-07-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #798
MJ4H
Coordinator

Pretty sure he's asking about OOTP2006 not, ITP
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #799
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks that is the demo for ITP not OOTPB 06. Demo for OOTPB 06 is not out yet.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-07-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #800
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty

Not a bad idea.