Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #751
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm not a fan and don't keep up. So what is the root-cause problem, coaching?

I'd say roughly 30-40 years of organizational neglect and atrophy.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:25 AM   #752
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
For those of you who have the pleasure of not regularly watching the Bears, and thinking this is one of the worst games you've seen all year, let me remind you - this is basically every Bears game for the last 20 years.

Even the year y'all went to the Super Bowl, your offense still kind of looked like this. It is kind of amazing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #753
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Were the Bears wearing the Browns uniforms last night? Or was my brain stroking out again
Old 10-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #754
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

In general, I would not recommend watching the Bears if one has any history of neurological issues.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #755
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
In general, I would not recommend watching the Bears if one has any history of neurological issues.

Can I be the Bears GM?
Old 10-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #756
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anyone know what Akers' issue is? He hasn't been the same, physically or mentally, since his injury. Is he pissed at the team for not playing him more? There must be things going on behind the scenes because McVay has made some cryptic comments about his performance/lack of desire before.

All I know is, the Broncos could use a free transfer of sorts...

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #757
RainMaker
General Manager

Sort of seems like he's on the outs. I thought it was weird how they hyped him up all offseason and then more or less benched him in Week 1. There is clearly some kind of issue between what the team wants from him and what he's doing.

I genuinely don't think he's been that good since the achilles injury. That's a tough injury to come back from as a running back and he just doesn't have that explosiveness.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #758
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Cleveland will be Cleveland.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #759
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quick hawt-take over-reaction to the opening three-and-out... Brady looks like Fields out there today, overthrowing a wide-open receiver downfield on a third-and-long.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #760
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

OK. Not great football out there so far today. This is the worst I've seen Brady, and he's going against a very banged-up secondary that hasn't played well.

Zappe the statue against Cleveland's solid front line isn't going as expected. Not impressed with any of the rookie quarterbacks so far, though they might get wins. Miami's going to need five or six quarterbacks to get through the season.

Who would have thought the Jets could dominate the Packers, despite not converting a third down so far.

Hello, Trubisky. Can't say we've missed your checkdowns.
Old 10-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #761
bhlloy
Coordinator

Whew, the Packers look awful. They’d still be much better being a running team that sets up the pass, but feel like they are trying to get Aaron his hero ball highlights and that line is just absolutely tragically bad in pass protection.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #762
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Whew, the Packers look awful. They’d still be much better being a running team that sets up the pass, but feel like they are trying to get Aaron his hero ball highlights and that line is just absolutely tragically bad in pass protection.

It's just Rodgers throwing deep to recievers you've never heard of. They could run more, throw short quick passes, there's a lot of things they could do but their game planning is just not good. I thought Lafleur was supposed to be good at this.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #763
QuikSand
lolzcat

Someone has surely run the numbers on this... if you had bet the money line on every underdog all season long, where would you be now? Has to be obscenely ahead.

Mrs Q set up a pick-em contest against my son & me... created a just pick-the-winner, no spread, no confidence. We're barely .500 this deep into the season, mostly just picking favorites. Absurd.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #764
Ksyrup

I wouldn't pay Lamar a cent.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-16-2022, 03:39 PM   #765
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I wouldn't pay Lamar a cent.

Quarterbacks who win as often as he does end up in the Hall of Fame. No exceptions. If one is inclined to think Baltimore wins despite Jackson, then why aren't they drafting anyone?

Statistically, none of it makes sense. You see what happened today, it makes no sense. He's unique in NFL history, but as long as he keeps winning, you run with it.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:38 PM   #766
Thomkal
Head Coach

Break up the Jets and Giants the past 2 weeks.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #767
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice win for the Falcons and now at 3-3. This is the first win or loss by greater than a TD. Hopefully, they can continue to cruise to a respectable record.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #768
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The absolutely perfect example of why squib kicks are nonsense, given modern kickoff rules.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:45 PM   #769
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Quarterbacks who win as often as he does end up in the Hall of Fame. No exceptions. If one is inclined to think Baltimore wins despite Jackson, then why aren't they drafting anyone?

Statistically, none of it makes sense. You see what happened today, it makes no sense. He's unique in NFL history, but as long as he keeps winning, you run with it.

I'm just pissed because I have Baltimore in a salary cap league and he threw that game away like a HS freshman. Trying to make something out of a blown play/fumble was amateur stuff.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #770
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Nice win for the Falcons and now at 3-3. This is the first win or loss by greater than a TD. Hopefully, they can continue to cruise to a respectable record.

I hate the Falcons. But Arthur Smith getting beers with the O-line after the game was a pretty cool moment.

The goal, of course, is to win a title. But for fun seasons as a fan, there's nothing quite like a team with zero expectations playing over .500 and having fun doing it. It's all house money, and you end up with really cool scenes like that.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #771
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought the teams who played in Europe got a bye week the following Sunday. When did this change? Green Bay isn’t even off until week 14.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:17 AM   #772
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I thought the teams who played in Europe got a bye week the following Sunday. When did this change? Green Bay isn’t even off until week 14.

They now offer it to the team, but the team can turn it down. As some teams noted, travel from London to the East Coast isn't that much different that travel from California to the East Coast.

And teams generally like late byes, so a lot of the London teams scheduled early in the season chose to put off their bye.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #773
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I honestly don't know what to make of this 5-1 start but I am loving having a competent head coach.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:09 AM   #774
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints/Cards on Thursday after Colts/Broncos and Commanders/Bears might be the thing that pushes Amazon into bankruptcy.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:56 AM   #775
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It was generally assumed that the Giants would let Daniel Jones go after the season, but who would they get that's better? Jones isn't great, but he's done a good job running Daboll's system.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #776
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It was generally assumed that the Giants would let Daniel Jones go after the season, but who would they get that's better? Jones isn't great, but he's done a good job running Daboll's system.

I figured they'd get a top-2 pick and draft a guy.

Now, I think that they need to stick with Jones for the reasons you give.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #777
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I suspect they eat it and franchise him next year to see if he takes a step forward the way Allen did under Daboll.

He looks like a totally different player this year, although a healthy Barkley helps.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #778
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Saints/Cards on Thursday after Colts/Broncos and Commanders/Bears might be the thing that pushes Amazon into bankruptcy.

I just looked at the entire Thursday night lineup and there are few and far between exciting matchups. Even Ravens/Buccs looks less appetizing than it did a month ago.

I'm guessing Amazon being a new player + only NFL game to watch means they don't have to be particularly exciting matchups to draw viewers.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-17-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #779
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I mean the problem is that there are only so many good matchups/games to be excited about each week. At the minimum you'd want one for Sunday 4PM, SNF, MNF, and TNF. Probably wouldn't hurt to have one at 1PM either, at least for non-local doubleheader broadcasts.

I'm not so sure there are that many non-middling teams.

I mean, here would have been my take on this week's matchups:

WAS/CHI: Suckfest, but I personally go for WAS schadenfreude
SF/ATL: at 1PM? And in a dome? Eh.
NE/CLE: First, I hate NE and have seen them enough. Also, the Browns suck again.
NYJ/GB: It's the Jets, and it's a weird interconference matchup. Feh.
JAX/IND: Dome. AFC South. No.
MIN/MIA: Wife still roots for MIA, both teams are plucky. I don't know if you take either seriously, but they're plucky. Sure.
CIN/NO: Another weird interconference matchup, with a down Saints team. Also, dome. Eh.
BAL/NYG: Adopted hometown area with the Ravens, and curious to see what the Giants got as a divisional opponent. Sure.
TB/PIT: Maybe as a curiosity, but the Steelers are not good.
CAR/LAR: Semi-interesting, but I always have a hard time wanting to watch Carolina for some reason.
ARZ/SEA: I always think I want to, but feel like I'm never rewarded watching these teams.
BUF/KC: Hell yes.
DAL/PHI: Primo matchup as an Eagles fan.
DEN/LAC: Yeah, I'll watch. I like the AFC West in theory. Chargers typically aren't boring.

I mean, what do you swap in there for TNF, if you have a chance to? Granted, I don't know how anybody thinks "Commanders"/Bears is a good idea. Ravens/Giants? The divisional ARZ/SEA with no Wilson?

OR, let's do next week:

NO/ARZ (TNF): Sigh.
CLE/BAL: Ok, it's divisional. But both teams have been kinda disappointing.
TB/CAR: Brady...against the suck-ass 1-5 Panthers.
ATL/CIN: Again, weird IC. But, maybe?
DET/DAL: yeah sure Cowboys. But LIONS.
NYG/JAX: lol JAX. No.
IND/TEN: Cream of the AFC South? Oh boy yeah that gets my juices flowing. /s
GB/WAS: You'd better get your shit together and take care of WAS here, Aaron.
NYJ/DEN: Maybe interesting to see if the Jets can continue to not piss themselves.
TEX/LV: Kidding, right?
SEA/LAC: Maybe.
KC/SF: Yeah, I actually like this one.
PIT/MIA (SNF): I don't know, who is at QB? I really like this if it's 1974. Today, seems middling.
CHI/NE: OMFG just shoot me now.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #780
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It really doesn't matter. Would Buff/KC move the needle a little more than NO/ARZ? Probably a bit but not much. It is the NFL. People are going to bet on it, obsess over fantasy, and watch it, especially the stand alone games, regardless of how crappy the matchups are.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #781
Ksyrup

If you could do a week-of flex not including SNF and MNF, I'd take ATL/CIN or KC/SF in a second. Also selfishly, I'd be good with Denver too just so it would be done and I could enjoy the weekend.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:38 PM   #782
cuervo72
Head Coach

I guess. That's my view as a non-betting, non-fantasy fan.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #783
henry296
College Starter

The other constraint for Thursday night is every team needs to play only once so you can't reuse teams. Early on the Thursday night program they tried for division matchups but I'm wondering if they coaches didn't like such an important game on short rest.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #784
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I figured they'd get a top-2 pick and draft a guy.

Now, I think that they need to stick with Jones for the reasons you give.
I think the Falcons and the Giants are in the same boat. They both thought they would be in the race for a top two pick in next years draft, and they could then move to a franchise type QB. Now, they are having more success than they thought largely despite having pretty limited QB's. I don't know how this plays out in the long run.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:23 PM   #785
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How is Marcus Mariota only 28?
Old 10-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #786
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How is Marcus Mariota only 28?

I was looking at Oregon on Wikipedia the other day and couldn't believe that they have had 5 (!) head coaches since Chip Kelly was there in 2012 (one was an interim bowl coach after Cristobal left). I guess the Pac 12 really has been sort of out of sight, out of mind the past several seasons. It is strange to think how nationally prominent USC and Oregon were just 10-15 years ago.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #787
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards release choker kicker and replace him on the active roster with WR DeAndre Hopkins. Now lets see if we can get some offense out of them
Old 10-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #788
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Cards release choker kicker and replace him on the active roster with WR DeAndre Hopkins. Now lets see if we can get some offense out of them

And they have traded for Carolina WR Robby Anderson-last seen leaving the field in a huff

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-17-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #789
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like WR Marquise Brown might be done for the year which explains the need for the trade. Surprised Wilkes would want to trade with Arizona given what happened there.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:54 PM   #790
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Picks are picks, I'm a little surprised they got anything for Anderson even with his contract being restructured to the $575k minimum & the rest being bonuses Carolina ate. ($20m dead cap hit over the next 2 years OMG haha)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #791
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can’t remember seeing someone getting escorted out like Anderson
Old 10-17-2022, 05:00 PM   #792
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The draft grades continue to make me laugh too - New England was by far he worst and nearly had as many D's & F's as all other teams combined https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/15...988034/photo/1

And so far Cole Strange looks like Logan Mankins 2.0, Tyquan Thornton still has durability questions but he's shown he has impressive releases and short area strength/quickness to get open instead of just being a tracklete, Jack Jones has been PFF's highest graded corner with Marcus Jones starting to get a lot of slot reps while being a good returner. Sam Roberts and Pierre Strong have looked decent as injury fill-ins (and Christian Barmore would be a huge loss if he's down for weeks, fingers crossed there). Oh and we got a QB who just became the first QB in the super bowl era to go 2-0 with QB Ratings over 100 in his first two starts. (Though no, it should still be Mac's job once the ankle is healed - a lot of other parts of the offense have clicked the last 2 weeks, as predicted after the offseason changes.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:12 PM   #793
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I can’t remember seeing someone getting escorted out like Anderson

Antonio Brown?
Old 10-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #794
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Looks like WR Marquise Brown might be done for the year which explains the need for the trade. Surprised Wilkes would want to trade with Arizona given what happened there.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:13 PM   #795
Ksyrup

I'm not entirely convinced Russell Wilson knows how to play QB. Like, multiple times Troy Aikman is pointing out things he should know and account for and he's doing none of it.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:50 PM   #796
Ksyrup

What's the record for individual PI calls in a game? Four is, like, a lot.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:00 PM   #797
Galaril
Pro Starter

That oline is really the first problem not Wilson. They are like fucking saloon doors out there.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-17-2022 at 10:01 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:02 PM   #798
Ksyrup

They can't block. No one knows their assignment. They could blitz all 11 without a care for a ball getting thrown much less caught.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #799
Ksyrup

What a waste of a good defense.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:10 PM   #800
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This game sucks