Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #751
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
You aren't crediting the Mizzou genius enough.

Outside of a couple of guys who have been KU fans ever since I was on this board and Swaggs who is a WV fan the rest of you guys seem to have a lot of jealosy about this team that is 4-1 in the NCAA the past two seasons. Anderson got it done at UAB and as an assistant at Arkansas. Sorry that we aren't falling apart for you.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #752
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Personally speaking, I couldn't give two shits about Mizzou. I was rooting for them, had them in my bracket.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #753
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Coach Anderson made the correct decision to let them shoot from outside and it paid off. They were shooting 43% from inside the arc because Mizzou was focusing on interior defense, not because they were missing open shots inside.

You do realize that Clemson averaged 45% from the field this season?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #754
SportsDino
College Prospect

Dola, ya any team needs to score to win the game, that goes without a doubt. I've seen runs from the Spartans where they cause turnover after turnover, or bad shots, incredible defense... and then go down the court to miss a gosh durn layup of all things.

That is usually what tears apart State, we lose our shooting and then it feeds back into the defense starting to get sloppy (usually over aggressive leading to easy fouls or over-attacking and the guy gets past to an open shot).

Still, you stick with the system and adjust to solve the problem. In the case of this particular game, I don't think the problem was their D-scheme... they just needed to clean up their shooting and they came out at half time and did it, props to the coach.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #755
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Word

SI

I would say big 12 but Texas let us down and I can never really get too much enthusiam for the other Texas schools. Baylor has had Mizzou's number the last couple of seasons (excluding last year) but I just keep looking back at the murder for hire team and not taking them seriously.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #756
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Not really arguing. I just watch Mizzou with a lot of casual fans this time of year who always get real upset when we aren't winning in the first half and I just tell them to relax and be patient. (and outside of the Nebraska debacle I am usually proven correct) I don't really have a whole lot of difference in opinion with you on this I don't think. Just wasn't that worried about their 3-point shooting as that didn't seem to be one of their stengths the whole year.

(OK I was a little concerned. )

I went back and watched the first half again out of curiosity. After watching it, I was even more sure that Clemson was lucky they weren't down by more. The assessment that MU was leaving Clemson wide open outside didn't really pan out. Clemson only had 3 uncontested long-range shots in that first half. The rest were contested.

In addition, Marcus Denmon (who shot over 40% from long range during conference play) missed 4 wide open three pointers in the first half alone. MU can usually count on him to make at least half of those.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-19-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #757
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You do realize that Clemson averaged 45% from the field this season?

Yes. They were supposed to have a significant advantage on MU inside. That should translate to an above average shooting percentage inside, but MU's bigs really did a helluva job on Booker/Booker/Grant.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #758
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Baylor has had Mizzou's number the last couple of seasons (excluding last year) but I just keep looking back at the murder for hire team and not taking them seriously.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #759
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there any worse expression in sports than "needs a blow"
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #760
Swaggs
Coordinator

The St. John's job opened up w/ Norm Roberts getting the axe. A lot of potential for a good program there. Hopefully, they can find someone to make them respectable again (w/o cheating).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #761
Swaggs
Coordinator

Have they announced what time WVU/Mizzou begins on Sunday? I can't seem to find it, but assume it will be one of the early games.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #762
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Have they announced what time WVU/Mizzou begins on Sunday? I can't seem to find it, but assume it will be one of the early games.

My guess is they will wait until after all the games are over tonight so they can see where to put Syracuse, Duke, and the other ratings darlings. Mizzou/WVU seems like it should be a great game but I don't know that it will translate into ratings.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #763
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I can remember being in Vegas during the season after the murder thinking Mizzou would destroy them. Unfortunatley they covered the spread and nobody at the Imperial Palace understood why I cared so much about Mizzou/Baylor. Ah, the Dave Bliss era...

Last edited by panerd : 03-19-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #764
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
My guess is they will wait until after all the games are over tonight so they can see where to put Syracuse, Duke, and the other ratings darlings. Mizzou/WVU seems like it should be a great game but I don't know that it will translate into ratings.

Heh... silly me. I wasn't thinking about ratings, which I'm sure is the driving factor. I was thinking they would want to give teams as close to 48-hours of recovery before starting them.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #765
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Noon per one of the WVU boards, and they claimed that was from yahoo, but I looked around and couldn't confirm it.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #766
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Noon per one of the WVU boards, and they claimed that was from yahoo, but I looked around and couldn't confirm it.

Somebody on a Mizzou board said the same thing but I think they had all the games listed at noon.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #767
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I guess Cornell is for real. For all the hype on them coming into the tournament, I thought they might struggle.

Cornell is definitely a good team. I saw them play Kansas tight earlier this season. They have a talented big man, good guard play, and last but certainly not least Wittman. In my bracket I have them beating Wisconsin in the next round.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #768
whomario
Pro Starter

Go Zags ! Go Elias !
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #769
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus Florida State has some long bodies
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #770
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Jesus Florida State has some long bodies

#1 in the nation in defensive efficiency. #119 on offensive efficiency.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #771
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Gonzaga making the buckets early.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #772
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Somebody on a Mizzou board said the same thing but I think they had all the games listed at noon.

Mizzou SID said game times won't be set until after all games are completed later tonight.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #773
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Duke only up by 2.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #774
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Duke on a 4-0 run.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #775
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Now a three point game. Could this be the first 16-1 upset?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #776
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The Zags showing early and often that they're better than their seeding. They've got the talent for sure. They're up 15 already. FSU having trouble scoring.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #777
whomario
Pro Starter

maybe it was a foul by rule on Alabi, but those type of situations should never be called against the defender imo, the offensive player can´t just barrel into a beckpadelling defender imo ...

Harris jumper really improved since he played with the national team, totally different release, too. Nice work Gonzaga, thanks for that

Last edited by whomario : 03-19-2010 at 06:39 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #778
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
The Zags showing early and often that they're better than their seeding. They've got the talent for sure. They're up 15 already. FSU having trouble scoring.

Yep.

I was really tempted to go with them beating Syracuse but couldn't pull the trigger.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #779
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The seeding is their own doing this year. A lot of times I feel they get screwed with the seeding but this year I feel they are right where they belong.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #780
timmynausea
College Starter

Just noticed that Washington is a slight favorite (-1.5) over New Mexico tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #781
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Just noticed that Washington is a slight favorite (-1.5) over New Mexico tomorrow.

They should have Vegas do the brackets. They would do a much better job. New Mexico has been one of the luckiest teams all year so this doesnt surprise me a whole lot. Its a fairly good sign for Washington. I cant see Vegas making them a fav unless they were very sure they would win.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-19-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #782
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The seeding is their own doing this year. A lot of times I feel they get screwed with the seeding but this year I feel they are right where they belong.

I disagree.

They are where they are because they lost their conference final game, they played one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #783
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm not saying I disagree with the seedings, I'm just saying they're better than that. They should play Syracuse very well on Sunday, assuming they beat FSU; FSU's defense is a lot better than they've shown so far this game so this is far from over if they can start to click a little bit more on offense.

I'm feeling a lot better now after that effort from the Badgers. That was a pretty bad game all around from the Badgers... 4 turnovers though, crazy.

NMSU draining deep three balls right now.. WOO!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #784
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I disagree.

They are where they are because they lost their conference final game, they played one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country.

So we actually agree. In that conference you need to win it. The losses to San Fran and L-M didnt help matters for them.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #785
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not saying I disagree with the seedings, I'm just saying they're better than that. They should play Syracuse very well on Sunday, assuming they beat FSU; FSU's defense is a lot better than they've shown so far this game so this is far from over if they can start to click a little bit more on offense.

I'm feeling a lot better now after that effort from the Badgers. That was a pretty bad game all around from the Badgers... 4 turnovers though, crazy.

NMSU draining deep three balls right now.. WOO!

They have a lot of talent I wouldnt disagree with you there. Ive just seem them look unstoppable at times and I seen them in the WCC tourny play like complete shit. Bouldin played like a complete joke that whole tourny. IMO they are the most inconsistent team in college hoops this year. I guess it depends on which team shows up.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-19-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #786
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think it is stupid that 1 loss drops you 2-3 seeds. Same thing happened to UTEP
Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #787
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think it is stupid that 1 loss drops you 2-3 seeds. Same thing happened to UTEP

Im not sure if you believe in computer rankings or not but the computers were not impressed by the Zags this year. Pomeroy has them #56 and Sagarin has them 36th. I dont know that they were ever a 4-5 seed like people were thinking.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-19-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #788
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Fairing to be a shitty night of endings tonight...

FSU/Zags.... bleh

Duke.. yah right

MSU... so far not so good for NMSU

GT/OSU - i honestly don't know much about these guys at all..... maybe it will be an exciting finish.. the only one at this rate.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #789
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

FSU/Zags.... bleh

Duke.. yah right

GT/OSU - i honestly don't know much about these guys at all..... maybe it will be an exciting finish.. the only one at this rate.

Not sure I'll be paying TOO close attention to the late games tonight as they may all be snoozers, too. Louisville/Cal seems like the only interesting matchup. I'll keep an ear open to see if Houston sticks around.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #790
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure I'll be paying TOO close attention to the late games tonight as they may all be snoozers, too. Louisville/Cal seems like the only interesting matchup. I'll keep an ear open to see if Houston sticks around.

Vermont shocked Syracuse a few years ago. I wouldnt expect this game to be close but Vermont is probably the best of the #16 seeds.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #791
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

And NMSU's guard, Young who said "Who's that" in response to a question about State's Kahlin Lucas is now on the bench with 2 points and three fouls. Ouch.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-19-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #792
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Vermont shocked Syracuse a few years ago. I wouldnt expect this game to be close but Vermont is probably the best of the #16 seeds.

Which is like saying which 400 lb fatty would you rather fuck? I'm still not picking any of them over the Alba's of the world.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #793
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Love the tourney so far. Wore my Ohio U shirt to work today. G'Town was the only Sweet Sixteen I've lost, but I didn't care. Loved seeing the upset.

With no IU to root for, Butler is my team for the tourney I think.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #794
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Which is like saying which 400 lb fatty would you rather fuck? I'm still not picking any of them over the Alba's of the world.

LOL

Well I wasnt exactly saying to pick Vermont over Syracuse I was simply saying it could be more interesting than it may look.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-19-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #795
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
LOL

Well I wasnt exactly saying to pick Vermont over Syracuse I was simply saying it could be more interesting than it make look.

One can only hope! I'd love to see a tight game there.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #796
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Slowly but surely FSU getting back into the game.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #797
timmynausea
College Starter

New Mexico State cuts it to 2.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #798
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

NMSU goes nuts to start the second half.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #799
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

FSU/Zags.... bleh

Duke.. yah right

Looks like it's actually going to be a good set of closings, Duke aside

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #800
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am looking forward to the Houston Maryland game as a possible upset and that was even before the tourneyu started but Maryland is also pretty hot.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote