Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #751
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
In other news, Hasiak might be coming back to UCLA?
I don't think anyone knows for sure where Hakiak is going to fax his LOI on Wednesday, including Hasiak.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #752
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Recent update:

They posted that at the Mizzou insider board. Without giving too much info, there was more than one source within the Wingo family that guaranteed that Ronnie's final decision has not been made yet between Mizzou and Arkansas after that information was posted. That doesn't mean he won't end up at Arkansas, but anyone saying it's a done deal is incorrect.

And we all know the world revolves around USC/UCLA, so why fight it?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #753
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'd say the fact that he already has his roommate picked out and is actively recruiting others to Arkansas is a pretty good sign his mind is made up, especially with two separate confirmations of it today. There are all sorts of indicators of how happy he is with his decision and direct confirmations of his decision. I'm comfortable with that until Wednesday. If he changes his mind then, so be it, it happens. They are kids making a big decision in their lives. Until then or he says otherwise, I will be going by his word and his actions, which say he wants to be a Hog.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #754
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd say the fact that he already has his roommate picked out and is actively recruiting others to Arkansas is a pretty good sign his mind is made up, especially with two separate confirmations of it today. There are all sorts of indicators of how happy he is with his decision and direct confirmations of his decision. I'm comfortable with that until Wednesday. If he changes his mind then, so be it, it happens. They are kids making a big decision in their lives. Until then or he says otherwise, I will be going by his word and his actions, which say he wants to be a Hog.
Not been keeping up, is Wingo really needed at AR? We seem to have a bunch of RB right now.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #755
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Not been keeping up, is Wingo really needed at AR? We seem to have a bunch of RB right now.

That's the other obvious reason for the rumors. Mizzou just had a RB leave yesterday and is now relatively thin at that position.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-01-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #756
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
And we all know the world revolves around USC/UCLA, so why fight it?

You know, really, you guys provide us with an important service, constantly keeping this thread easy to find until pertinent USC-UCLA stuff comes up. So you do serve a role here.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #757
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

It wouldn't be a tremendous loss on the surface, I think, but since Petrino appears to have put a lot of effort into him, I want him. I trust Petrino on evaluating talent based on his track record.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #758
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You know, really, you guys provide us with an important service, constantly keeping this thread easy to find until pertinent USC-UCLA stuff comes up. So you do serve a role here.

haha nice
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #759
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The reports say that Te'o had a great visit this weekend at USC and has been offered #55 if he wants it. I'll be surprised if he doesn't announce for USC on signing day, particularly with the current depth chart and a real opportunity to play early.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #760
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The reports say that Te'o had a great visit this weekend at USC and has been offered #55 if he wants it. I'll be surprised if he doesn't announce for USC on signing day, particularly with the current depth chart and a real opportunity to play early.

After he removed BYU from his list I do not even see why you were worried. As far as I was concerned at that point he was going to USC. Keeping UCLA and ND in it were for effect more than anything.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #761
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Dola

It looks like Utah is going to land L.T. Filiaga and Xavier so BYU goes 0 - 3 in what they originally thought was going to be a 3-0 run of some of the better Polynesian athletes in the nation.

To me, not getting X to sign was a major loss as he comes from Timpview and that has been nothing but equal to a JC feeding BYU for the past years.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #762
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It wouldn't be a tremendous loss on the surface, I think, but since Petrino appears to have put a lot of effort into him, I want him. I trust Petrino on evaluating talent based on his track record.

New interview of Hill up this morning. He said that Wingo is still likely to go to Arkansas, but not a final decision yet. Probably a good bet that Wingo sticks with Arkansas.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #763
Logan
Head Coach

4* DT Isaac Holmes to Rutgers. Could potentially be a monster pair with him and Antwan Lowery.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #764
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
4* DT Isaac Holmes to Rutgers. Could potentially be a monster pair with him and Antwan Lowery.

I saw that. Nice get.

I hope Justin Brown heads to the P-Way next, because the kid is the real deal and I'd rather not see him in the Big Ten.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 02-02-2009 at 02:06 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #765
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I saw that. Nice get.

I hope Justin Brown heads to the P-Way next, because the kid is the real deal and I'd rather not see him in the Big Ten.

I'm hoping Penn State gets him but my gut feeling is that he is going to Rutgers.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #766
Logan
Head Coach

Same here. Supposedly he's as close to 50/50 as possible, unless you've heard otherwise. If I'm a big-time WR looking at either school...I see one school that is trying to run the spread, and another who runs a pro-style offense. I see one school where a highly-touted WR (in fact, the #1 recruit in the country) is leaving the school and could go anywhere from the 4th round to undrafted, and another school where a highly-touted WR (a 4*, top 25 at his position) came in and developed into a possible 1st, at worst mid 2nd round pick after his junior year. Easy choice for me.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #767
Logan
Head Coach

And that's really not a knock on PSU, just more a product of their system.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #768
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I agree Logan. The only thing Penn State has going for them right now is that they graduated all 3 of their top WR. So he could probably start and maybe be the #1 or #2 target right away.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #769
Logan
Head Coach

Definitely a point, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he did the same with us as our top 2 WRs are gone, and our most experienced WRs coming back are (very) small slot guys in Tim Brown and Dennis Campbell. Outside of them, we're looking at RS freshmen (one of which is Keith Stroud who is in the Kenny Britt mold and I think could be a similar stud) and other backups who would have to step up. The thought of having the size of Stroud and J. Brown on the outside with Timmy's speed in the slot would ease a lot of my worries about the transition at QB.

Either way it ends up, I'm glad he's taking time with his decision, as he seems like a good kid.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #770
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan with a nice signing eve suprise:

4* OG Quinton Washington, who was considered a South Carolina lock, committed to Michigan today. He is a kid from a small town in SC, but Michigan was able to sway him as he has a bad speech impediment, and UM has one of the best speech therapy programs in the US. This is UM's 3rd 4* OL in this class, to go along with 6 OL last year (3 4*, 2 3*, 1 2*). 9 OL in two years is a nice coup.

Plus all six last year red shirted.

Things are looking up.

Too bad Je'ron Stokes looks like he's going back to Tennessee. Hopeful on Robinson, Witty and to keep one of our two DT's and I'll call signing day a success.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #771
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Congrats to USC on landing Orson Charles.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #772
DeToxRox
Head Coach

You sure Noop? Not seeing it anywhere, and I thought he was a post NSD announcer anyway.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #773
bhlloy
Coordinator

I hope Noop has some sources on that. That would be a huge pickup.

edit - DeTox is right, he's not even visiting SC until 2 weeks after NSD. And I've never heard of a prospect committing without a visit. I'll believe this when I see a solid source.

In other news, USC appears not be an option for Burfict anymore. It's ASU or JC for him. I don't see any way he doesn't end up at JC - allegedly, his transcripts are nowhere near as good as originally reported/hoped.

Last edited by bhlloy : 02-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #774
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This is a tough time to be a Georgia fan:

Apparently Reid has dropped them, and they're falling down Charles and Starlings fans.

The ups and downs of NSD .. It gets insane.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #775
mckerney
Coordinator

Any West Virginia fans heard anything on Michael Carter recently? Sounds like he may not have made his final decision yet.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #776
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I hope Noop has some sources on that. That would be a huge pickup.

edit - DeTox is right, he's not even visiting SC until 2 weeks after NSD. And I've never heard of a prospect committing without a visit. I'll believe this when I see a solid source.

In other news, USC appears not be an option for Burfict anymore. It's ASU or JC for him. I don't see any way he doesn't end up at JC - allegedly, his transcripts are nowhere near as good as originally reported/hoped.

Ditto. I've heard Charles is a lean to USC, but I haven't heard anything that made me thing he would commit until after his visit.

Completely agreed with the 2nd paragraph. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't end up at a JC with the latest reports I've read about his academics.

Edit: In other news, Jawanza Starling is looking like a USC lean - should be a nice replacement for Byron Moore who looks like is back to being a ND guy.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-03-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #777
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Any West Virginia fans heard anything on Michael Carter recently? Sounds like he may not have made his final decision yet.

I've been following this one. I've heard his cousin on the Steelers had a long sitdown with him about going to Minnesota.

WVU fans on Rivals seem worried.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #778
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I've been following this one. I've heard his cousin on the Steelers had a long sitdown with him about going to Minnesota.

WVU fans on Rivals seem worried.

I'd read Tyrone Carter had talked to him about Minnesota also, and WVU fans on scout are freaking out that he took Mountineer items off his facebook and myspace.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #779
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's gettin juicy for 5* Reuben Randle. He was considered an LSU lock, but now his dad was apparently on the radio saying the LSU staff lied to him about what position he'd be playing, and now it sounds like Oklahoma is in front.

That kid can step in as a true frosh and ball.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #780
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

It is my understanding that Orson has committed to Pete Carroll(I believe he made an in home visit recently); this person is usually on the money when it comes to recruiting in the south.(especially the state of Florida)

According to this person (he's an high school coach) Orson is going to firm up his commitment when he goes on his visit. If I had to put a percent at the moment I would say 80% USC 20% Florida State.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #781
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
It's gettin juicy for 5* Reuben Randle. He was considered an LSU lock, but now his dad was apparently on the radio saying the LSU staff lied to him about what position he'd be playing, and now it sounds like Oklahoma is in front.

That kid can step in as a true frosh and ball.

His dad is getting huffy that we will be taking DeAngelo Benton too, which should be obvious, he signed a LOI to LSU for two straight years before this one while trying to become eligible.

His brother responded to this by saying "Also my brother has not said anything..." As if to say his Dad's remarks do not in any way represent RR. I think he has made up his mind and it is LSU, and his dad is being a little overprotective.

That said, none of the three schools being chosen would surprise me. If it isn't LSU I hope it is Oklahoma! Benton is only a hair below RR (Benton was a 5*), so I think LSU will be fine without RR, but I hate to see the best player in Louisiana go to another SEC school.

Last edited by Tigercat : 02-03-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #782
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Lane's been working his butt off out in Tennessee trying to convince some of these recruits to go Orange.

This past weekend was full of hope but we seemingly struck out on a number of kids. Fortunately, there are a number of them still considering UT...which is amazing to me at this point.

While I'd like for someone like Marlon Brown to just make this recruiting class special, I'm crossing my fingers that Lane and company can really put the pedal to the metal this coming year.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #783
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Lane's been working his butt off out in Tennessee trying to convince some of these recruits to go Orange.

This past weekend was full of hope but we seemingly struck out on a number of kids. Fortunately, there are a number of them still considering UT...which is amazing to me at this point.

While I'd like for someone like Marlon Brown to just make this recruiting class special, I'm crossing my fingers that Lane and company can really put the pedal to the metal this coming year.

With the staff that Tennessee has put together, I'm expecting them to have a class to rival Florida's in 2010.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #784
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Byron Moore is now saying that he only decommitted from USC so other schools would treat him seriously on his recruiting trips. I'm not sure I buy that line, but I do believe in the reports that say he will announce that he is going to USC tomorrow morning as he kicks off ESPN's coverage. I hope it doesn't hurt with the Startling battle, even though Moore is likely to play CB for USC.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #785
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WR Stephen Hill committed to GT over two months ago, skipped a final offer to make an official visit to UGA over the weekend ... and now decides he's having second thoughts.

I wish with every fiber of my being that CPJ would do the same thing with Hill that he did with the QB Aycock and pull the scholarship off the table. I guess he's drawing some sort of difference in the two situations because the receiver didn't take a visit while the qb was apparently going to but to me that's too close to situational ethics for complete comfort. To hell with this kid, I hope we just move on instead of holding a spot for someone who doesn't even know if he wants to be there or not.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #786
Poli
FOFC Survivor

CPJ rules.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #787
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Greg Reid to Florida State
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #788
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
News is that Cobi Hamilton has picked Arkansas over Texas. Still waiting on Ronnie Wingo to decide today.

*fights through the USC/UCLA glut*

You know, I don't know how good he or any of the other recruits we picked up are. I'm just happy we beat Texas out for him.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #789
MJ4H
Coordinator

Remember when I said at the beginning of the season that everyone around here was thrilled with the job Petrino was doing? You weren't sure why because our team looked like ass at the time. You are about to see why tomorrow and next season.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #790
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Gents...tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year. I'll be live blogging the day, starting around 8am, at In The Bleachers. I could use all the help I could get with any tips or rumors so if any of you want to help please do, and if you have a site or anything for me to give you credit for the tip, please let me know that too.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #791
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Gents...tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year. I'll be live blogging the day, starting around 8am, at In The Bleachers. I could use all the help I could get with any tips or rumors so if any of you want to help please do, and if you have a site or anything for me to give you credit for the tip, please let me know that too.

I'm there.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #792
Tigercat
College Starter

I'll be at a VIP table at the best signing day party in the nation, LSU's bayou bash. It is going to be my first time there (got a free ticket this year). Will be enjoying some free food and beer served by scantily clad women while we talk football all day. I am not sure I will want to leave.

I'll be sure to post here what kind of ridiculousness goes on at these signing day booster events.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #793
MJ4H
Coordinator

Here's a tidbit for you a little early. 4 star DT DD Jones (DeQuinta Jones) is leaning towards Arkansas but will announce tomorrow.

Jones leaning toward Arkansas - Bastrop, LA - Bastrop Daily Enterprise

This is our last guy really on the board. Aubrey Phillips, too, but most think Jones is better and more probable to sign. This would complete a monster class for Arkansas.

edit: actually just read Aubrey Phillips announced Florida State at a basketball game tonight. Take that fwiw I guess. I know we have at least one FSU guy here that could confirm.

Last edited by MJ4H : 02-03-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #794
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks MJ4H. I am going to lead with that tomorrow. Rumors are good, just as long as they are somewhat believable and substantiated.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #795
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Thanks MJ4H. I am going to lead with that tomorrow. Rumors are good, just as long as they are somewhat believable and substantiated.

Just wanted to point out it wasn't really a rumor since the article has a direct quote from him stating Arkansas is in the lead. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #796
MJ4H
Coordinator

dola

wtf on Aubrey Phillips:

"I just spoke to Phillips' stepfather, Paul Crump and he said Aubrey will decide between Arkansas, Florida State, Auburn and Tennessee at 9am Wednesday. Reports of Phillips committing to Florida State tonight are false, according to Crump."

The Recruiting Guy
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #797
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Don't get too exicted on Jones yet. Not saying he won't sign with Arky but he has had so many leaders and that entire time he was committed to Michigan as he had a new leader every week.

Will be interesting though I don't think UM has much of a shot.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #798
MJ4H
Coordinator

Certainly not. Had horrible luck sealing the deal with DTs the last few years. He will be a nice bonus if we can get him, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #799
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
dola

wtf on Aubrey Phillips:

"I just spoke to Phillips' stepfather, Paul Crump and he said Aubrey will decide between Arkansas, Florida State, Auburn and Tennessee at 9am Wednesday. Reports of Phillips committing to Florida State tonight are false, according to Crump."

The Recruiting Guy

From a premium site on Florida State football....

I have confirmed through ArkansasVarsity.com's Luke Matheson that four-star offensive lineman Aubrey Phillips did announce to the high school crowd at an Olive Branch basketball game, during the half, that he will sign with Florida State in the morning.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #800
MJ4H
Coordinator

My guess is either he announced it without talking to his family first and they are trying to cover their tracks and save the press conference tomorrow or someone got overly-excited and announced it for him or something like that. Who knows. Either way it looks like it is FSU. Could be a surprise tomorrow, just like with anyone, though.