Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #751
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
USA striker Abby Wambach won the women's award.

the Canadian chick is probably better right now, but Amy won the gold.

and this will probably get deleted and might get me boxed, but heres our Olympic hero Alex Morgan at the beach. she was a finalist for the womans award, and she makes me "proud" to be an american

will love watching her for the next decade
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #752
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
the Canadian chick is probably better right now, but Amy won the gold.

Huh? The Canadian chick?

Abby is phenomenal. She's like the female version of Ronaldo (not Cristiano Ronaldo, but Ronaldo-Ronaldo). Her combination of strength & finishing touch are absolutely unparalleled in the woman's game right now. I didn't pick that comparison by accident either - I think she'll end up having a similar sort of impact longer-term in terms of encouraging strikers who are physically stronger, rather than just flair+speed based (although there will certainly always be a role for those types of players as well - see Alex Morgan).
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #753
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Huh? The Canadian chick?

Striker Christine Sinclair, she scored all three of Canada's goals in the classic USA 4-3 Canada Olympic semifinal back in August. I think she probably should have at least been on the shortlist but Wambach is a deserving winner imo.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #754
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Striker Christine Sinclair, she scored all three of Canada's goals in the classic USA 4-3 Canada Olympic semifinal back in August. I think she probably should have at least been on the shortlist but Wambach is a deserving winner imo.

Aaah.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #755
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Vincent Kompany fucked by an incompetent ref again.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #756
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

3 match ban for this shit.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #757
Critch
lolzcat

Worst suspension of the game was the linesman. At the end of the game he told a couple of Man City players to go to the Man City fans, "They've paid 62 quid, go say thanks".

Now he's been removed from duty for at least his next two games.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #758
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Worst suspension of the game was the linesman. At the end of the game he told a couple of Man City players to go to the Man City fans, "They've paid 62 quid, go say thanks".

Now he's been removed from duty for at least his next two games.

Just checked - as far as I can see he hasn't been suspended; just they're trying to let the dust settle as he's now a minor celebrity in England and if he ran the line again straight away the media critique of his performance would be immense ....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-15-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #759
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Just checked - as far as I can see he hasn't been suspended; just they're trying to let the dust settle as he's now a minor celebrity in England and if he ran the line again straight away the media critique of his performance would be immense ....

I'm not sure what the difference is between being "stood down" from his next game, and "removed from duty" from the one after and being suspended.

If anybody deserves to be stood down, it's Mike Dean. He's a truely woeful referee. But I guess he'll be safe unless he mentions the ripoff prices.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #760
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I'm not sure what the difference is between being "stood down" from his next game, and "removed from duty" from the one after and being suspended.
I think the chances are he'll be paid which is kinda useful

The press in the UK can be rather forceful and as a lineman he's probably not particularly used to the attention - as such his next match if very soon after the event would probably have had the camera's giving him a lot of undue attention .... as such I can understand the thought behind letting things die down a little before he dives into the fray again.

Quote:
If anybody deserves to be stood down, it's Mike Dean. He's a truely woeful referee. But I guess he'll be safe unless he mentions the ripoff prices.
Heh - everyone has their referee with their 'Pet peeve' ... still I haven't seen any match in the Premiership where they've lost control to the extent that 36 (THIRTY SIX) players were sent off .... that has to be a record?

36 players sent off in Paraguay junior league match
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #761
Ryan S
Quarterback

BBC Sport - Pep Guardiola: Bayern Munich to appoint Spaniard as manager

Did anyone see that coming?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #762
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Heh - everyone has their referee with their 'Pet peeve' ...

Rob Styles in FM.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #763
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Guardiola needed a way to pass the time until Sir Alex retires.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #764
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

i didn´t. There were rumours for a long time now but i never thought they´d go that route again after the Van Gaal breakup.

@ Big Fo: For a spaniard, Bayern likely isn´t a less prestigious option than ManU. They have an excellent reputation (well, mostly they are feared ), as does german soccer historically as well as today.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #765
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I know Bayern is a giant. It wasn't a fully serious comment.

And anyway, SAF might manage another ten years. I remember when he'd planned to retire way back in 2002.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #766
miami_fan
Coordinator

So that explains all the celebratory sounds that I heard from the Etihad and Stamford Bridge.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #767
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Eh, nobody at Stamford Bridge will be celebrating until we know we won't have Rafa either.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #768
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
Eh, nobody at Stamford Bridge will be celebrating until we know we won't have Rafa either.

Uh..... I had Rafa and Roberto lighting the fuses.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #769
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Ah. I'd thought you were talking about fan reactions. Makes much more sense now that you explain it.

I'm just a bit cranky about the Chelsea managerial situation at the moment.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #770
Critch
lolzcat

Sound like Lampard has agreed to join LA Galaxy.

And Southampton have fired Nigel Adkins, two promotions in a row and 2 defeats in the last 12 EPL games weren't enough for the board. The kind of firing you'd call a bug if it happened to you in FM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #771
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
And Southampton have fired Nigel Adkins, two promotions in a row and 2 defeats in the last 12 EPL games weren't enough for the board. The kind of firing you'd call a bug if it happened to you in FM.

Wow, I guess he should have beaten Chelsea and even beaten them by ten. Based on some of the articles, they wanted to get rid of him from the beginning of the season.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #772
miami_fan
Coordinator

Theo Walcott has resigned with Arsenal. 3.5 yrs 100,000 pounds per week.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #773
Critch
lolzcat

I was checking through what ESPN3 had on offer for today, since the EPL on tv was so underwhelming, and apparently the African Cup of Nations is being covered by ESPN3.

It's news to me, so sorry if I'm spreading good news that everybody else already knows about.

South Africa v Cape Verde at 11am Eastern, and Angola v Morocco at 2pm.

Last edited by Critch : 01-19-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #774
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nice. I always forget I have ESPN3. Now I can watch these guys.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #775
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
i didn´t. There were rumours for a long time now but i never thought they´d go that route again after the Van Gaal breakup.

@ Big Fo: For a spaniard, Bayern likely isn´t a less prestigious option than ManU. They have an excellent reputation (well, mostly they are feared ), as does german soccer historically as well as today.
I'll have to disagree. I recognize Bayern has a bigger trophy case, but ManU has the higher prestige. Hence, nobody in the world would say going from ManU to Ajax is a promotion, despite the respective trophy cases. Quite simply, the Bundesliga does not have the prestige the Premier League has and as the respective leagues' most prestigious clubs, ManU is a bigger club than Bayern.

But after the top2 in Spain, and the whomever-made-the-CL in England, Bayern is about equal to the black-and-another-color striped teams in Italy. Real Madrid isn't an option for Guardiola, Chelsea is a snakepit, ManC still has to establish a reputation and Arsenal and ManU have big shoes to fill that haven't even be vacated yet. Boards at Italian clubs are known for their 180 degree turns when teams lose a game or two. FC Bayern is the best option available. Looking at it that way, and aside from Guardiola's ability to learn German (he'd better!), a great choice on both ends.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #776
whomario
Pro Starter

noticed i left out a key part of my intended post : "excellent reputation in Spain"
wouldn´t argue about the PL being more prestigious overall (for fans and players), but i´m not sure it really is in Spain. Doesn´t hurt that at least a few german players/coaches left their mark there.
And Bayern as a team especially. Plus, they are sort-of rivals with Real
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-19-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #777
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. I wonder if Arsene threw a tantrum or something at halftime, because ever since halftime it's ARSENAL SMASH! (1-1 now 5-1) .
Heh: Here's the four goals they scored since halftime:

Giroud 47 Cazorla 53 Walcott 54 Giroud 57

Still no score on with 20 minutes to play in the Swansea Chelsea second leg (live on BeIN sports and streaming I believe)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #778
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And Eden Hazard has just been sent off for kicking a ball boy. Hope he enjoys his time off. Say, three months.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #779
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
And Eden Hazard has just been sent off for kicking a ball boy. Hope he enjoys his time off. Say, three months.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #780
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and Daniel Potts has been stretchered off after something off the ball for West Ham against Arsenal, sounds like he was unconscious with a head or neck injury.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #781
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is the ball boy laying on the ball?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #782
Ryan S
Quarterback

What exactly is the ball boy doing before he gets kicked? Is he lying on top of the ball?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #783
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Got tugged down on the ball, and wasn't getting up fast enough to suit Hazard
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #784
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is the ball boy laying on the ball?

Yeah, he picked up the ball, tried to hold onto it to time waste, Hazard pushed him over trying to wrestle it off of him. Then kicked him in the ribs.

His twitter account is showing up, he mentions being brought back as ballboy because Swansea needed time wasting.

Last edited by Critch : 01-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #785
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Video of the full incident is here:

Chelsea's Eden Hazard Sent Off After Kicking Swansea Ballboy During League Cup Match
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #786
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, he picked up the ball, tried to hold onto it to time waste, Hazard pushed him over trying to wrestle it off of him. Then kicked him in the ribs.

His twitter account is showing up, he mentions being brought back as ballboy because Swansea needed time wasting.

Is that a new account? Seems fishy to me.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #787
Ryan S
Quarterback

After watching the replay I don't have much sympathy for the ball boy, but Hazard was crazy to kick out like that.

I would be surprised if the suspension is any longer than the standard "violent play" 3 matches.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #788
whomario
Pro Starter

I say ground the kid and suspend him from that "job". Also if i´m his youth coach, i have him run some extra miles next training. Certainly hope he doesn´t get glorified for being a little ass.

Oh, and i think 7-10 games for Hazard sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
After watching the replay I don't have much sympathy for the ball boy, but Hazard was crazy to kick out like that.

I would be surprised if the suspension is any longer than the standard "violent play" 3 matches.

for "violent play" towards a non-player ? No way.

Last edited by whomario : 01-23-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #789
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Ok so yes he should get the red card, the suspension that goes along with it and I think two games on top of that. However, Swansea as a club should at least been warned and possibly fined for this sort of amateurish behavior.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #790
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Man, the Chelski fans over on Soccer Meme's facebook page are... yeah.. they're not doing their team any favors.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #791
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Is that a new account? Seems fishy to me.

We'll be able to see if its real by how many deaththreats it gets from Chelsea fans:

Charlie Morgan™ (CHARLIEM0RGAN) on Twitter
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #792
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Definitely not uncommon for the home team to give instructions to the ball boys. Not always for time wasting, but to slow down counter attacks (or speed them up in the home team's case). Pretty sure Mourinho complained about Barca using this tactic before.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #793
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

By the way, Hazard is going to get fucked. I can't see the FA taking this one lightly.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #794
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
By the way, Hazard is going to get fucked. I can't see the FA taking this one lightly.

Yeah, kicking bystanders is something they have to take more seriously than just a bad tackle. He might get a slightly shorter ban than he would otherwise given that he had the sense to apologize after the match and the ball-boy was blatantly out of line, but even so I'd say five games is likely the lower bound.

And it's hard for me to complain about that despite being a Chelsea fan - no matter how much of a prat the kid was being, Hazard shouldn't have kicked him. I do think Swansea should get a fine of some sort for not controlling their ball-boys, but the kid is only the secondary villain in this, and I'm not thrilled with the part of the Chelsea fanbase that seems to dispute that.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #795
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
Yeah, kicking bystanders is something they have to take more seriously than just a bad tackle. He might get a slightly shorter ban than he would otherwise given that he had the sense to apologize after the match and the ball-boy was blatantly out of line, but even so I'd say five games is likely the lower bound.

And it's hard for me to complain about that despite being a Chelsea fan - no matter how much of a prat the kid was being, Hazard shouldn't have kicked him. I do think Swansea should get a fine of some sort for not controlling their ball-boys, but the kid is only the secondary villain in this, and I'm not thrilled with the part of the Chelsea fanbase that seems to dispute that.

Very well reasoned post. I would upvote you if I could.

The ballboy is a jerk. Honestly, I wouldn't care if the ballboy were a 45 year old man being a jerk. That part is on him and the team. The team should get a fine and a harsh warning.

But Hazzard wasn't being a jerk. He assaulted someone. He deserves a harsh suspension and he deserves the taunts he will deal with the rest of his career for doing this. Really horrible move. The people defending him are out of their flippin minds.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #796
law90026
College Benchwarmer

If they follow what they did with Cantona way back when, he's out for a long long time.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #797
PilotMan
Head Coach

I didn't see any news about this here, but it's great news that these two got together on something, and it leaves hope that they can be integrated on a larger level to provide more of a stratified level of Soccer in the US. This may not see like much now, but it opens the door for many opportunities.

MLS, USL Pro reach deal on restructured Reserve League | MLSsoccer.com

Quote:
It's been rumored for months, and on Wednesday afternoon MLS and USL Pro made it official: The two leagues have reached an agreement to integrate MLS Reserve League teams into the USL Pro schedule, a multi-year deal that will feature "interleague" play between MLSRL teams and the 13 USL Pro sides.
In the year ahead, that deal also includes affiliations for select teams, facilitating loans from MLS to USL Pro clubs (the third tier of the US soccer pyramid) for players who otherwise wouldn't get much playing time in the top flight. The goal is to immediately improve professional player development in the United States and Canada, providing more and better competition for young pros with big-league dreams.
The coming months will also see joint "technical and commercial initiatives" between the two leagues as the details are ironed out.
“This partnership represents the first step in a long-term alliance between MLS and USL Pro to connect domestic professional soccer through a system that benefits player development, competition and the overall business of our sport,”
said MLS executive vice president of player relations and competition Todd Durbin in a press release. “Over the past several years, USL Pro has made great strides in restructuring in a manner that serves to complement the objectives of MLS. This is a win-win for all involved and it demonstrates our strong commitment to growing North American professional soccer at all levels.”
Currently there are 13 USL Pro clubs, including six in the Southeastern United States, an area in which MLS Commissioner Don Garber has talked openly about expanding the league's footprint. Two USL teams — VSI Tampa Bay FC and Phoenix FC — are set to kick off this year. A 14th team based in Sacramento will enter the league in 2014.
As it stands, each of the USL Pro teams will play a pair interleague games against MLS Reserve teams. USL Pro teams have been paired with a single MLS team to play a home-and-home series, save for Antigua, who will play both games at the site of the MLS team. The interleague games will count in both the official USL Pro and MLS Reserve League standings.
Club affiliations between MLS and USL Pro sides will be tailored to the needs of each specific team, and will include at least four MLS players going out on a long-term loan to their USL affiliate. Last year Portland's Bright Dike parlayed a good summertime run of form with the LA Blues into a starting job with the Timbers down the stretch, and several other players spent time honing their skills with USL Pro clubs.
The MLS Reserve League provides meaningful competition for players who are not regulars in the first team’s matches such as young players, players returning from injury, and youth development products. Each of the 19 MLS clubs will field either a Reserve Team or establish an affiliation with a USL PRO club.
MLS teams with formal USL Pro affiliates will not play in the 2013 MLS Reserve League. No clubs are required to enter into an affiliation, and specific affiliations will be announced in the coming days.
“USL Pro has for the past several years been the most sophisticated and competitive professional soccer league under MLS,” USL CEO Alec Papadakis said. “This new partnership with MLS will elevate and strengthen the level of competition for domestic professional soccer while simultaneously creating a more sustainable financial model for team owners. As a result, we expect this partnership will forge a seamless system for the development of players and coaches, and promote the expansion of professional soccer into new North American markets.”
Details of the fixtures will be announced in conjunction with the forthcoming release of the official 2013 USL Pro schedule.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #798
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I have no dog in the fight, but the ball boy is clearly embellishing and in the wrong. Player should be reprimanded for it but I think the outrage over it is kind of silly.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #799
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I have no dog in the fight, but the ball boy is clearly embellishing and in the wrong. Player should be reprimanded for it but I think the outrage over it is kind of silly.

Silly? Seriously? If a waiter is rude to you, are you allowed to punch him? If someone cuts in front of you, are you allowed to shove them? If a punk 17 year belches loudly at a diner, are you allowed to go over and kick him in the shins?

Nobody should be defending he ballboy here. He was clearly in the wrong. But. . . YOU CANNOT KICK HIM. Complain to the ref. Throw your arms up in frustration. But for the love of God, do not kick the guy in the stomach.

Yes, I am outraged. A professional player making millions of dollars should not be kicking ballboys in the stomach.

And while I have said the ballboy was wring and he was, how much time did he waste there? The entire thing lasted about 30 seconds from the point the ballboy picked up the ball and Eden kicked him. I have seen players waste far more than 30 seconds with the ball. Are opposing players allowed a free shot at them? Or should we expect them to, oh maybe, act like professionals?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #800
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
If they follow what they did with Cantona way back when, he's out for a long long time.

Cantona's attack was violent enough to wind up in court for assault. What Hazard did, if it had been to a time-wasting player, would have wound up as a completely generic three-game ban for violent conduct but nothing more. As it was to a ball-boy it'll probably wind up with a longer ban than that, but the two incidents really aren't that comparable.

And since it seems to have gotten lost in the 80th-minute pile of stupidity: congratulations to Swansea for 180 minutes of first-rate defense and two impeccable bits of finishing. I'm honestly not sure why the kid thought he needed to waste time.