Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #751
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't think anyone has really said he is game ready right away. Looking at the Rams deal, I think they take Goff#1. Keep the hometown boy at home, Wentz is going to Cleveland. At least, that's what feels right to me, but I've been wrong very consistently.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #752
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the Rams will take Goff, at least according to one report from Jason La Canfora
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:55 AM   #753
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If people are even debating who you traded up to get at #1... it's a good sign you probably overpaid for the pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
Really like Goff though, he is the kind of guy who will pick defenses apart with short and intermediate accuracy if he is protected and has at least average receivers. He also seems like a guy who you can beat if you can rush him and strip sacks will be a concern.
That was my read on Goff this year... very accurate, really quick release, tall, went through progressions well, and as soon as there was any pocket pressure everything fell apart. The tools are there for a great NFL QB, but I do not see it going well if he's asked to start from Day 1.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:02 AM   #754
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Goff has really small hands. Wonder if that will be a factor even if all of his divisional games are in warm weather.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #755
Logan
Head Coach

Good article. Browns fans should definitely not click through.

The day the Browns passed on Big Ben
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #756
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If people are even debating who you traded up to get at #1... it's a good sign you probably overpaid for the pick.

That was my read on Goff this year... very accurate, really quick release, tall, went through progressions well, and as soon as there was any pocket pressure everything fell apart. The tools are there for a great NFL QB, but I do not see it going well if he's asked to start from Day 1.

People once debated about Manning and Ryan Leaf.

The "people" aren't always smart.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #757
Logan
Head Coach

Rams #1, Eagles #2...

Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #758
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
At first glance, it seems like the Browns could have gotten some more picks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #759
Logan
Head Coach

Agree. It's still a lot to give up but getting that 2nd rounder to be 2018 and not 2017 is pretty big. Allows them an extra year of improving so that it's more towards the back of the round.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #760
bhlloy
Coordinator

I dunno - that's one less pick than the Titans got for #1, they don't get the two seconds but 8 i more valuable than 15 in the first round, so it's probably close to a wash. Everyone knew the Browns didn't want the QB at #2, so the value they could get was somewhat limited. I think it's fine.

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-20-2016 at 12:59 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #761
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Also wonder what it means for Bradford. Are they moving up to get a QB?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #762
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I dunno - that's one less pick than the Titans got for #1, they don't get the two seconds but 8 i more valuable than 15 in the first round, so it's probably close to a wash. Everyone knew the Browns didn't want the QB at #2, so the value they could get was somewhat limited. I think it's fine.

Good point on 8 vs 15.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #763
Logan
Head Coach

I just can't believe these are the two QBs that teams are going bonkers to trade up for.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #764
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that Chase Daniel would have been a quality NFL starter. And now it seems we will never know. He was behind Brees for years. Then Alex Smith. Now Goff/Wentz.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #765
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

The trade and the teams involved don't surprise me. But I am surprised that it happened before the Rams picked. This seems like a trade you hash out and say "If the Rams pick X, then we have a deal." Kind of surprised that both Goff and Wentz are viewed that highly by the Eagles.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #766
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Also wonder what it means for Bradford. Are they moving up to get a QB?

This I think is the most interesting question. Are they going up to guarantee one of Ramsey or Tunsil? And if not, how do you square that with the money you've committed to Bradford?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #767
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

That noise you just heard was Carson Wentz breathing a huge sigh of relief.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #768
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

dola

I like this trade for the Browns though
Old 04-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #769
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This I think is the most interesting question. Are they going up to guarantee one of Ramsey or Tunsil? And if not, how do you square that with the money you've committed to Bradford?

Bradford for 2016, Daniel is the long term backup and potential trade bait if he gets an opportunity to show something, and Wentz/Goff is the assumed starter in 2017. Bradford off the roster by then.

They're taking a QB.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #770
Comey
College Starter

Roseman quoted at the presser as saying they are going to take whichever QB is left at #2. Sigh. Not a fan.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #771
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think there's a very real possibility we look back at these two trades as the moves that crippled two franchises for the next 5+ years. I don't really get the love for Goff and Wentz is going to at best be a project that needs patience
Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #772
Logan
Head Coach

This thought process would terrify me as an Eagles fan:

Old 04-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #773
Suicane75
Coordinator

I never like trading away picks, especially 1st rounders. But If they think either one of these guys has franchise potential, then I'm OK with it. Personally, I think I'd rather have Wentz.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #774
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Agree. It's still a lot to give up but getting that 2nd rounder to be 2018 and not 2017 is pretty big. Allows them an extra year of improving so that it's more towards the back of the round.

I'd rather get the 2018 2nd than the 2017. The Eagles will probably be bad both years, but there's a chance Bradford makes them better than expected this season. The 2018 pick will benefit from a first year starter at QB and a lack of depth from the other lost picks. I'd almost guarantee that 2018 pick is in the top ten of round two.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #775
Suicane75
Coordinator

A couple of draft picks isn't going to kill them depth wise. I honestly don't think either year are going to be top 10 picks. This is a middle of the road team that's more likely to be better than anticipated, not worse.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #777
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

These trades illustrate how quickly draft picks have rebounded in value since the new labor agreement was ratified limiting compensation.

It's only a matter of time before there's a Curt Flood-type lawsuit brought against the NFL by one of these top picks.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #778
Radii
Head Coach

Carolina has rescinded the franchise tag offer to Josh Norman. He is now an unrestricted free agent.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #779
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Whoa...wtf is Carolina doing?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #780
corbes
College Benchwarmer

What sort of leash does Bradford get from the fans this year? Do the boos start on the first interception or the first incompletion? And what reaction are we expecting when Chase Daniel trots out there in relief instead of the #2 pick?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #781
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

This is one of the best trades the Browns have ever made.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #782
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I also think Bradford is with another team before the regular season starts.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #783
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This thought process would terrify me as an Eagles fan:

Obviously, there are going to be surprise QB's and a couple of these guys will Hackenburg themselves and fall apart, but here is the list of QB's that look to be coming out in the next couple of years:

1 - Deshaun Watson
2 - Baker Mayfield
3 - Seth Russell
4 - JT Barrett (not likely to be a top 10 guy)
5 - Greg Ward
6 - Chad Kelly
7 - Patrick Mahomes
8 - Brad Kaaya
9 - Josh Rosen
10 - Mason Rudolph

(this list was essentially a list of top college QB's I pulled from a website. I know there are guys who are sure fire first round picks that I missed on. (Drew Lock, right?)

Of the group above there, I like Watson a lot. I don't think Mayfield has the measurables. Not a huge fan of Kelly. Rosen looks good. Rudolph has a rocket for an arm, this year is critical for him. All Baylor QB's seem to be good in college. I know zilch of Greg Ward or Brad Kaaya. Mahomes looks damned good to me, even for the system he's in.

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #784
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Carolina has rescinded the franchise tag offer to Josh Norman. He is now an unrestricted free agent.

Bummed.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #785
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Hate this move. Wentz is a bust.

Perhaps he should you know get into a game before you call him a bust
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #786
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Perhaps he should you know get into a game before you call him a bust

Avoiding the rush.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #787
bhlloy
Coordinator

Don't understand the Norman move at all. Why would you let a top 3 corner leave in today's NFL?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #788
TroyF
Coordinator

Look, I'm a Philly fan, I'm thrilled with this. If the Browns thought the trade was a GOOD idea, then we know based on history, it will likely be a HORRIBLE idea.

My philosophy in life: think the opposite of what the Browns think and I'll be ok.

If Wenz/Goff is a bust and you guys get your ass kicked on a trade to the Browns, you may as well forget ever getting that Super Bowl.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #789
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Look, I'm a Philly fan, I'm thrilled with this. If the Browns thought the trade was a GOOD idea, then we know based on history, it will likely be a HORRIBLE idea.

My philosophy in life: think the opposite of what the Browns think and I'll be ok.

If Wenz/Goff is a bust and you guys get your ass kicked on a trade to the Browns, you may as well forget ever getting that Super Bowl.

The Eagles just gave up a ton of assets and have no idea who they're getting yet.

There's no way to spin this as a good move at this point.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #790
corbes
College Benchwarmer

TRUST THE PROCESS
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #791
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Eagles just gave up a ton of assets and have no idea who they're getting yet.

Jeff Lurie was obviously a big Monty Hall fan as a kid.

The other thing about this is that the Eagles have an extremely quarterback-heavy coaching staff. I can't imagine everyone is on the same page regarding which of the two they want or how they will manage the Bradford/Daniel/newbie situation.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #792
Radii
Head Coach

"Context from Panthers source: Panthers didn’t think looming distraction of an inevitable holdout was worth the one-year, $14 million lease."

People thought they were insane for cutting Steve Smith. I know this is a bit different, but it sounds like there was just no way they were going to work out a long term deal and the way he's been talking about his value and all this they expected issues. At this point I trust Gettleman and this doesn't really bother me any. I certainly accept this as a good option instead of overpaying a guy who had one great year. Had enough of that under the last GM to last a lifetime.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #793
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
you may as well forget ever getting that Super Bowl.

Already way ahead of the curve on this one.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #794
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
"Context from Panthers source: Panthers didn’t think looming distraction of an inevitable holdout was worth the one-year, $14 million lease."

People thought they were insane for cutting Steve Smith. I know this is a bit different, but it sounds like there was just no way they were going to work out a long term deal and the way he's been talking about his value and all this they expected issues. At this point I trust Gettleman and this doesn't really bother me any. I certainly accept this as a good option instead of overpaying a guy who had one great year. Had enough of that under the last GM to last a lifetime.

A bit different? You got to the Super Bowl and are giving away the best player at his position at one of the most important positions in the league. Sorry, this makes zero sense.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #795
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I dont understand teams with so many needs giving up so many draft picks just to move up a few spots in a weak QB draft. Great trade for the Browns.

If you are 2-3 pieces to the puzzle away go all out and get the guy you want. If you are half a team away from being a 10 win team dont trade your picks. Not understanding this trade from the Eagles POV. Rams sort of made sense because they are VERY close.

This article makes me laugh however.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...inkId=23684924

Play better and quit bitching Bradford. Complaining about them drafting another QB when you were subpar is the reason he is an average NFL QB.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-20-2016 at 11:09 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #796
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

1) I think they know who they are getting. My guess is true league insiders know exactly who the Rams are taking.

2) If they did this move and do not like one of the QB's, it would be a shocker of a trade. If they don't know who they are getting and they think that either Goff or Wentz will be a horrible QB, then there is no way they do this deal.

I think #1 is the truth. I'd also wager heavily that they believe that they are getting a good QB at #2 whichever of the two QB's they pick.

If I'm wrong on either of those things, you are right. There is simply no way to spin that.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #797
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Norman is a jaguar by noon on Friday, right?
Old 04-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #798
miked
College Starter

I don't get why they did not just deal him to somebody for a pick. There must be about 10 teams that would part with a 2nd round pick to extend him.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #799
stevew
Hall Of Famer

8-10 teams have expressed interest. I think they might have gotten a pick in round 2 as well, but my guess is it would have been in the 2017 draft based on playing time and stuff like that.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #800
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Would they have had to wait until he signed the franchise offer? Maybe they were expecting a holdout that would have denied them the opportunity to trade him.