Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #751
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

After work today, I have the next 18 days off. I can't wait to dive into the main game in a few days.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #752
wade moore
lolzcat

Just went and looked through the top 25 that were already shown...

I agree with those 4, and the only other name that seems glaringly missing is Joe Gibbs... Do I think he's top 5? Meh, dunno... but at the same time it seems that he should be in the top 25...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #753
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Just went and looked through the top 25 that were already shown...

I agree with those 4, and the only other name that seems glaringly missing is Joe Gibbs... Do I think he's top 5? Meh, dunno... but at the same time it seems that he should be in the top 25...

Gibbs is #6.

I'll go with Paul Brown.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #754
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Gibbs is #6.

I'll go with Paul Brown.

Oops, I'm blind....

Paul Brown might be it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #755
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Gibbs is #6.

I'll go with Paul Brown.

Very good guess. I'd bet that's the five.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #756
AgustusM
College Prospect

Gibbs ahead of Walsh and Lombardi is absurd IMO. Yes, he was a very good coach and deserves to be in the top 10.

People forget Lombardi won 5 championships before there was a superbowl meaning he won 7 "world" championships.

Walsh (with an obvious push from Brown) revolutionized the game so much that today at every level from the NFL down to high school you can still see his influence in almost every game that is played.

as far as the last 5 - I think Paul Brown has to be in there.

along with Halas, Shula, Landry, and Noll.

My top 7 would have been:

1. Lombardi
2. Hallas
3. Shula
4. Brown
5. Walsh
6. Noll
7. Landry
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #757
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

What, no Jerry Glanville?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #758
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am absolutely pissed that Ray Handley is apparently not in the top 25.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #759
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Dave Wannstedt is top 3 material.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #760
wheels
Creative Director, Grey Dog Software

Shula is one of the most overrated coaches in NFL history. Sure he won the most games, but not the most important ones most of the time. With the Colts, he loses two championship games, 27-0 against Cleveland as an 18-point favorite, and 16-7 in SB III against the Jets as 19-point favorites. He very nearly blew his perfect season against the Skins. He inherits the most prolific passer in NFL history and can't even win one championship? And the one SB he makes with Marino he loses 38-16. How could he never get Marino a running game? If good coaching is a function of wins, championships and talent, he did less with more talent in big games than practically any other coach. Take away his perfect season, and I think he coaches far fewer games, especially for the Dolphins. But as a Viking fan, I think Bud Grant has to rank up there as well.
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #761
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels
Shula is one of the most overrated coaches in NFL history. Sure he won the most games, but not the most important ones most of the time. With the Colts, he loses two championship games, 27-0 against Cleveland as an 18-point favorite, and 16-7 in SB III against the Jets as 19-point favorites. He very nearly blew his perfect season against the Skins. He inherits the most prolific passer in NFL history and can't even win one championship? And the one SB he makes with Marino he loses 38-16. How could he never get Marino a running game? If good coaching is a function of wins, championships and talent, he did less with more talent in big games than practically any other coach. Take away his perfect season, and I think he coaches far fewer games, especially for the Dolphins. But as a Viking fan, I think Bud Grant has to rank up there as well.

Well, look at what that bastard Jimmy Johnson did to Miami. He ditched all the decent receivers Marino had and sent the team in a spiral of suckitude that lasted a long time.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #762
Kuroth
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Well, look at what that bastard Jimmy Johnson did to Miami. He ditched all the decent receivers Marino had and sent the team in a spiral of suckitude that lasted a long time.

Ahhhhh Yes BUT..................................

"HOW ABOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by Kuroth : 06-16-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Kuroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #763
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde

That brings up an interesting point. How many of these old-time coaches are great not because they were particularly good coaches, but because in the pre-FA era they were able to stockpile awesome teams? Look how many have tanked or done at best mediocre since the FA system was brought into place.

I think that's what makes the things coaches like Belichik, Cowher, and Dungy have done all the more remarkable: build teams that are consistently successful year in and year out despite having significant turnover every season.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #764
AgustusM
College Prospect

I think the biggest selling point for Shula besides the wins, is that he was extremely good at adapting.

When he had Unitas - he had a nice balanced attack, with the 70's Dolphins he won with Csonka and Morris and the inside/outside running game and then we he got Marino he adapted again and went with a passing attack. In all 3 scenarios he was able to win. SuperBowls, no, but NFL games yes.

too often football coaches try to make their players adapt to their system, rather then adapt the system to the player.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #765
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Take away his perfect season, and I think he coaches far fewer games, especially for the Dolphins. But as a Viking fan, I think Bud Grant has to rank up there as well.
That may be one of the funniest lines of thought I have ever seen.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #766
Schmidty
Coordinator

So, is this out yet? I'm lazy and don't feel like reading anything in this thread.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #767
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
So, is this out yet? I'm lazy and don't feel like reading anything in this thread.

4 or 5 more days until it is out.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #768
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

6/20
Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #769
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
I have no idea why they are releasing this game on June 22. Why not wait until its closer to football season, and a month after Madden is released to release this game. I am sure a first generation game like this could easily use the extra couple months for testing.

cause they know that jim is releasing a new FOF/TCY combo in Sept and dorks like us will drop everything for that.

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #770
RoastDuck
Mascot

Quote:

We drink from the same chalice. Marv Levy owned Shula.
RoastDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #771
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastDuck
We drink from the same chalice.

That's a good way to get mono.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #772
wheels
Creative Director, Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
That may be one of the funniest lines of thought I have ever seen.
My intended thought was that Grant was terrible coaching big games, too, and thus overrated.
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #773
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
We drink from the same chalice
He chose poorly.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #774
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
6/20

I could have sworn i saw 6/22, but that may have just been that demo.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #775
Galaril
Pro Starter

Geez, if Cowher hadn't won the super bowl he wouldn't be in there. Jeff Fisher deseves it as much as Cowher without the SB win.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #776
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeff fisher would still be playing in the NFL if Cowher hadn't ended his career.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #777
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Geez, if Cowher hadn't won the super bowl he wouldn't be in there. Jeff Fisher deseves it as much as Cowher without the SB win.

Yeah but, even if you say all other things are equal, Cowher still won the Super Bowl.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #778
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
My intended thought was that Grant was terrible coaching big games, too, and thus overrated.
That's a bit more clear. At first I thought you were accusing Shula of being overrated, but then arguing that Bud Grant was one of the top 10 coaches of all time.

But the argument that Shula is incomprehensible to me. There are plenty of people who argue that if you haven't won a title you aren't a great coach. I think that's arbitrary, but it's a valid line of thought. But critics of Shula take that line even further -- that Shula is overrated because he didn't win ENOUGH titles. I think that demonstrates a lack of understanding of how difficult it is to win even once title.

I'm pretty indifferent to Shula in that I'm neither a fan nor a detractor, but I think the only coaches you could argue were better than him would be a coach with more than one title -- and he was certainly better than some of those even.

The criticism that he never won a title with Marino has never made a whole lot of sense with me. This is a man who won a Super Bowl with Bob freakin' Griese an took "Woodstrock" to a Super Bowl too. But Shula wasn't the GM -- he wasn't the one buying the groceries. He had Marino and some occassionally above average wide receivers -- I think Marino made Mark "Super" Duper rather than the other way around -- but other than he had average talent on the offensive line and below average talent at running back. His defensive talent was probably average at best too, but Shula was always great at getting more out of his defense.

But would I rate him ahead of Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi? No, that's just kooky.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #779
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
Has anybody heard anything about backwards capability for the XBox 360? I don't have an Xbox but I would love to get this if it will be capability for the 360.

Judging by the fact that no EA Sports games are BC, I would doubt that this one will be. Until I start seeing some of these titles show up (I have Madden 2006 and Tiger Woods 2006), I doubt this game will EVER be BC.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:40 AM   #780
jbmagic
Pro Starter

On PC version is there anything going to be cut out compare to the console version.

In madden pc version they always have some things cut out compare to console version.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #781
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The newest issue of sporting news has an ad for the game, with a 6/22 RD.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #782
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I saw a banner ad on a site the other day (sorry I don't recall which one) that also said a 6/22 in store date.

Last edited by jaygr : 06-17-2006 at 08:56 AM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #783
rockboy70
Mascot

Fry's had it listed as in by 4pm on 6/22 and for $29.99.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #784
AgustusM
College Prospect

directly from the horses mouth (ea website) - Of course shipping means you almost certainly will not get it that day - but digital download should hopefully mean we will have the game in hand on Tuesday.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #785
joyosects
n00b

Re:

Best buy says they'll have it Tuesday.
joyosects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #786
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Only concern left is how realistic the sim stats will look like and how they compare with games we coach out.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #787
cwilloughby
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr114
I'm having trouble getting the demo to run on my PC. I get a directx error when I try to run the application or from the shortcut saying it can't find a .dll file. I have directx 9c installed so I'm wondering what's up.

Here's the exact file name in the error which is not found: d3dx9_27.dll

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

For whatever reason, you are missing the D3D Extension DLL that the game was compiled against.

You can download it here. Once downloaded, place it in the program's folder next to the executable.

Hope it helps...

Last edited by cwilloughby : 06-17-2006 at 11:27 PM.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #788
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
We drink from the same chalice. Marv Levy owned Shula.

Yes, Shula had the best QB and didn't win a Superbowl.. Levy had a top 5 QB, RB, WR along with the 2nd best D-End, and a slew of others on Defense. Your telling me Shula doesn't win with that talent, the Dolphins had half of what Levy had to work with..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #789
ice4277
Pro Rookie

They actually had a two-page ad for this in the front of Sporting News this week. I was pretty surprised to see that.

Btw, the release date there is listed as 6/22.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #790
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised that I just saw a TV ad for the game during the NBA Finals. Nice to see them doing some advertising.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #791
FBPro
College Starter

Nice.....I wish I could have seen it if I had even the slightest interest in hoops.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #792
Izulde
Head Coach

I pre-ordered Head Coach at Gamestop today and they told me I could pick up Tuesday afternoon.

I got the XBox version because on the XBox website, they specifically say on there that their plan is to eventually have *all* XB games be BC on the 360.

Oh and the XB has better graphics than the PS2 usually.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 06-18-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:16 PM   #793
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully, the folks at EA will link my store account and my EA account so I can predownload this.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:17 PM   #794
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I called my Gamestop earlier today and they said my PC copy should be in on Tuesday as well.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #795
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Hopefully, the folks at EA will link my store account and my EA account so I can predownload this.
Be careful. If you download it before they want you will have stolen the game. No matter that you paid for it. So don't steal the game you have bought by downloading it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #796
FBPro
College Starter

Mine should be in at that time as well.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #797
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
Be careful. If you download it before they want you will have stolen the game. No matter that you paid for it. So don't steal the game you have bought by downloading it.

ah yes, a wonderful moment in FOFC history
Old 06-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #798
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am curious if they add any thing to your pc besides the game for the download copy. I mean I am assuming it is like steam and you have to be connected to the internet to play it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #799
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49

You pirate
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #800
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Sorry if this has been answered already... but how much of the coaches job can be deligated to assistants/handled by the CPU. I am interested in drafting, signing free agents, designing plays, and calling the plays in the game. Can I let the CPU handle all the other stuff (practices, motivational speeches, etc)?
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote