Pro Starter

this thread needs more Kiel McCleod
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #752
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Tavares is signed

It's got to be only mere minutes from now til an anvil drops on his head.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 07-15-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #753
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
It's got to be only mere minutes from now til an anvil drops on his head.
Or, as he'd refer to it, "the second worst thing to happen to me this summer".
Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #754
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Chad LaRose (winger). This kid got two goals tonight. He has some great wheels and a decent scoring touch. He's a bit undersized, but seems to have a good motor and played very well along side Datsyuk. He could develope into a speedy-grinding type of player.

Well done, I must say. LaRose is just about this entire paragraph to a tee. As a result, he's really become a fan favorite in these parts and certainly earned his re-upping, IMO.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #755
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Winger Kyle Wanvig looks like the real deal. Toronto really lost out when their fax machine broke down at the deadline.

See, this is why the Leafs have been so bad all these years.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #756
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I've only been getting 2-3 hours of sleep this week, so I've been in a half-daze and maybe I'm remembering something I actually saw, but I'm pretty sure I had a dream last night where Gary Bettman was trying to ban or suspend Brian Burke for conspiring to effect a coup and recreate the Norris Division. I think there was a quid pro quo with Jim Balsillie in there somehow.

Anyways, I'm gonna sit the next few plays out from this thread and DGB and get some sleep.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #757
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I've only been getting 2-3 hours of sleep this week, so I've been in a half-daze and maybe I'm remembering something I actually saw, but I'm pretty sure I had a dream last night where Brian Burke was trying to ban or suspend Gary Bettman for conspiring to effect a coup and destroy the NHL. I think there was a quid pro quo with Jim Balsillie in there somehow.

Anyways, I'm gonna sit the next few plays out from this thread and DGB and get some sleep.

fixed
Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #758
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens sign Brent Johnson to backup Fleury
1 year $525K, excellent deal.

For comparison, they've signed Johnson ($525K), McKee ($800K), Fedotenko ($1.8M) and Guerin ($2M) at a combined $5.125M. They were payin Hal Gill and Miro Satan a combined $5.6M last year.

Winning has it privleges.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #759
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So the Islanders sign Biron for one year at $1.4 million.

They now have Roloson, Biron and DiPietro in net. I guess DiPeitro is still injured and wont be ready to play when the season begins. So, they will go with Roloson and Biron. Assuming DiPietro gets healthy and is ready to play, the Islanders will likely have two options:

1. Try to trade whoever was playing better between Biron and Roloson to a team that needs a goalie (either due to injury or because the starter is not panning out). Such a trade will be hard to pull, since everyone will know that the Islanders are basically stuck and will need to make a deal.

2. If there is no trade available, waive one of the two goalies.

What an odd organization...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #760
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

They now have Roloson, Biron and DiPietro in net. I guess DiPeitro is still injured and wont be ready to play when the season begins. So, they will go with Roloson and Biron. Assuming DiPietro gets healthy and is ready to play, the Islanders will likely have two options:

1. Try to trade whoever was playing better between Biron and Roloson to a team that needs a goalie (either due to injury or because the starter is not panning out). Such a trade will be hard to pull, since everyone will know that the Islanders are basically stuck and will need to make a deal.

Odd man out becomes Snow's Assistant GM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #761
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can't Snow just play until DiPietro returns?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #762
Travis
Pro Rookie

Why waive one? The Oilers have shown you can manage a 3 goalie system...

Yeah, might still be a bit bitter.

Or, that said, does the Biron signing indicate that MacT might be added to the staff soon given his ability to manage said 3 headed goalie rotation?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #763
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Can't Snow just play until DiPietro returns?

I don't think he still counts against the cap
Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #764
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's not like the Islanders would really be that good of a team with strong goaltending anyway. I thought they adequately addressed the issue with the Roloson deal. Even when DiPietro gets hurt again, didn't Yann Danis play well enough to earn a starting nod in DiPietro's absence. It seems to me that Danis and Roloson are adequate enough. Why add Biron to the mix? For that matter, why does Biron sign with the Isles knowing they already have two pretty good goalies in Danis and Roloson and one good but constantly injured DiPietro? Puzzling.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #765
Pyser
Pro Rookie

danis signed with the devils
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #766
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Canes sign Ruutu for 3 years / 11.4 million.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #767
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A Russian paper is reporting Ilya Kovalchuck will resign in Atlanta for 11.36 mil a year. Obviously things from Russia get lost in translation but that'd be the worst contract in NHL history. I love Ilya but he's one dimensional and that also makes him untradeable.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #768
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
danis signed with the devils

I don't know how I missed that one. I would've thought he would've wanted to stay on the Island for a chance to remain a starter if DiPietro remains out. I do think what I said still stands though because at best Biron is entering a 1/1-A timeshare with Roloson assuming DiPietro isn't ready for the start of the season.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #769
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Canes sign Ruutu for 3 years / 11.4 million.

...and that pretty much takes care of the expected signings at this point. Carolina's already over their self-imposed $50 million cap. The only two players outstanding are Seidenberg and Babchuk and it's become fairly obvious that Carolina is ready to move on without them. JR's mentioned, however, that he wants a top-four D-man to pair up with Pitkanen, but since they aren't going to sign anybody else at this point, speculation is settling on somebody getting shipped out, most likely Patrick Eaves, plus other packageable items (who those are depends on the person making up the trade) and trying to get a defenseman from a team that's in a cap crunch or expected to be. It's also expected that they'll buy out Kaberle's contract to get some more cap space.

Given the signings and drafting this offseason, I'd say the run-and-gun days are over for good in Raleigh, though. The team went after size as much as they could, feeling that the team just didn't have the muscle to stand up to the more physical teams in the East. I just hope they haven't pushed things too far the other way and given up too much speed. Hard to hit others if you can't catch up to them.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 07-23-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #770
bbor
Pro Starter

If anyone cares Martin Gerber signed in the KHL.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #771
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Not sure if this was touched upon too much earlier, but this story with Hudler, the Wings, and the KHL is just absurd. Apparently, Hudler turned down a 5-year deal at $3mil per year from Detroit? Instead, he signed a 2-year deal with the KHL for $10mil ($5mil per year)?????

WTF? There is no way in hell this guy is worth even $3mil per year, never mind the $5mil per year he is going to get in Russia. What a joke.

NHL schedules July 30 arbitration hearing for Detroit Red Wings, KHL-bound Jiri Hudler - ESPN
Old 07-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #772
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Bruins dealt Aaron Ward to Carolina for Patrick Eaves and a 2010 4th round pick and then promptly waived Eaves. The thinking is that the Bruins made the deal to free up enough cap space to re-sign Kessel. I liked Ward but if dealing him means bringing back Kessel I'm for it.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #773
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The Bruins dealt Aaron Ward to Carolina for Patrick Eaves and a 2010 4th round pick and then promptly waived Eaves. The thinking is that the Bruins made the deal to free up enough cap space to re-sign Kessel. I liked Ward but if dealing him means bringing back Kessel I'm for it.

Looks like Ward just got punched in the face again...
Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #774
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Not sure if this was touched upon too much earlier, but this story with Hudler, the Wings, and the KHL is just absurd. Apparently, Hudler turned down a 5-year deal at $3mil per year from Detroit? Instead, he signed a 2-year deal with the KHL for $10mil ($5mil per year)?????

WTF? There is no way in hell this guy is worth even $3mil per year, never mind the $5mil per year he is going to get in Russia. What a joke.

NHL schedules July 30 arbitration hearing for Detroit Red Wings, KHL-bound Jiri Hudler - ESPN

When was this $3mil deal supposedly offered by Detroit? I only ask because they don't even have that much room.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #775
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
When was this $3mil deal supposedly offered by Detroit? I only ask because they don't even have that much room.

That's what's been reported. I think Holland said that they were willing to offer that much and shed some contracts to get everyone under the cap. He said he was less willing to do that kind of thing for a free agent.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #776
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Interesting. I have to agree with RomaGoth though. No way Hudler is worth even $3mil per, much less 5. Flip is worth it, but Jiri is not.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #777
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Interesting. I have to agree with RomaGoth though. No way Hudler is worth even $3mil per, much less 5. Flip is worth it, but Jiri is not.

Yes, I agree as well. As mentioned just before the outset of free agency:

Quote:
Hudler had a pretty good year, his best ever, scoring 29 goals. He does a lot with limited ice time. That said, he only gets limited ice time because there are many limits as to what he can do. He's not a great skater. Not big. Doesn't play great defense. He's got a good knack for the puck, sees the ice pretty well and good on the power play. I just can't see the Wings paying him anymore than $2 million a year, tops. They already have Cleary and Filpulla just above that and I'm not sure how many 3rd line/power play forwards who play around 10-12 minutes a game one can be willing to pay $2+ million. You already have Holmstrom getting paid at around that level.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #778
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

The Wings should keep his rights though, otherwise the NHL is more of a mess than I originally believed.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #779
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Definitely for it, if it brings back Kess. And I really like Ward too.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #780
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm also seeing Derek Morris and the B's have agreed to a contract 'in principle.'

So if they Bruins can trade Ward and turn that into DoMo and Kessel staying, I'd be very pleased w/ Chia.

I don't know much about Morris, but I imagine he's an adequate Ward replacement.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #781
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Just hilarious that we got Ward back. It's already lead to a pleathora of "getting the band back together" jokes among the fanbase (of course, that's been sort of the running joke since they brought Matt Cullen back from New York a couple of years ago). This team is now very much the same team that won in 2006. Basically, we've replaced Ladd, Commodore, Stillman, Hedican, and Wesley with Jokinen, Pitkanen, Ruutu, Walker, and Corvo, but otherwise the gang's all here. Oh, yeah, and Laviolette for Maurice, but I don't think we're rewinding back to 2002 (yet--we did let Jeff O'Neill skate around some in preseason tryout camps last year but it didn't go further than that).

At any rate, I think Carolina's now done aside from buying out Kaberle's contract which should be happening in the next week according to JR.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #782
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I'm also seeing Derek Morris and the B's have agreed to a contract 'in principle.'

So if they Bruins can trade Ward and turn that into DoMo and Kessel staying, I'd be very pleased w/ Chia.

I don't know much about Morris, but I imagine he's an adequate Ward replacement.

Morris is a good puck moving defenseman which is really what the Bruins needed all along anyway.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #783
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

i dont get how this freed up cash for kessel, since ward made 2.5 and they signed morris for 3.3 to replace him...but oh well
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #784
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
i dont get how this freed up cash for kessel, since ward made 2.5 and they signed morris for 3.3 to replace him...but oh well

and whatever others I missed.

I really don't understand it. Morris is an upgrade from Ward, but at nearly $1M more. And Boston is still trying to clear space?

The way I am reading this regarding Eaves-- they are waiving him, and should he clear, he'll be bought out. A cap hit of $250K this season, a credit of $50K next year, then $250K hit in 11-12 and 12-13. So, somebody grabbing him off waivers saves Boston an additional $250K this year.

I guess Kobasew is the guy on his way out now...and it will be strictly for picks?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #785
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well since they signed Morris for an astounding 3.3 Mil, it didn't free up room for Kessel. I posted what you quoted before they announced the Morris contract. Some are speculating that either Bergeron or Kobasew will be moved to free up cap space. If that's the case it will be a tough pill for Bruins fans to swallow.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #786
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

A few moves today. Two 'meh' moves, and one 'what the fuck?'

Toronto trades Anton Stralman, Colin Stuart and a pick for Wayne Primeau and a pick

Canes buy out Frankie Kaberle

And...

Tampa buys out Vinne Prospal! 1 year into, I believe, a 4 year deal. Rumored they will "use the savings to go after another player". Makes sense that be Tanguay, the only true top 6 forward left.

But is Tanguay that good to pay whatever he's getting, plus the $1.6M per in dead cap space the next 6 seasons on Prospal?

Tampa is an utter clusterfuck. The Raiders of the NHL.

What better raiders or lightning?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #787
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Lightning. At least they have a championship to show for it ('04).
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #788
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Lightning. At least they have a championship to show for it ('04).

That year hurts more than any others.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #789
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
That year hurts more than any others.

Remember when TB was stupid for passing up Pitkanen?

Although, he eventually turns into Pronger, so the deal still could work for Philly.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #790
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Remember when TB was stupid for passing up Pitkanen?

Although, he eventually turns into Pronger, so the deal still could work for Philly.

They traded that pick which ended up to be Pitkanen for Fedatanko.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #791
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Could Bettman and his cronies be any more transparent regarding their obvious agenda of not wanting the Coyotes moved to Canada? Instead, they want to "keep" the team in Phoenix, at least until they can get out of the lease and move the team to another U.S. city, probably K.C.

Jim Balsillie's bid for Phoenix Coyotes unanimously rejected by NHL board of governors - ESPN
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #792
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

Just saw this piece of news. Not sure why the Wings want/need Delmore, but meh...

Detroit Red Wings - News: Red Wings sign Andy Delmore - 07/28/2009
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #793
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Or as he's known in Pittsburgh....Andy "FUCKIN" Delmore. HAHAH
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #794
Logan
Head Coach

Come on, Bettman knows best when it comes to potential owners. I mean, he hand-picked Boots Del Biaggio to save the Nashville franchise.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #795
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Dola

Just saw this piece of news. Not sure why the Wings want/need Delmore, but meh...

Detroit Red Wings - News: Red Wings sign Andy Delmore - 07/28/2009

Two words: Grand. Rapids.

If I recall correctly, I think the Winds signed Delmore a few years back to be a depth guy in Grand Rapids, but then he bolted for Europe.

The Wings signed him for the same reason they signed Kris Newberry. They just need some veteran depth guys in Grand Rapids to fill out the roster, help the younger kids, etc.

The only way Andy Delmore sees time in the NHL is if things go horribly awry or there is a plague of injuries.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #796
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not like the Islanders would really be that good of a team with strong goaltending anyway. I thought they adequately addressed the issue with the Roloson deal. Even when DiPietro gets hurt again, didn't Yann Danis play well enough to earn a starting nod in DiPietro's absence. It seems to me that Danis and Roloson are adequate enough. Why add Biron to the mix? For that matter, why does Biron sign with the Isles knowing they already have two pretty good goalies in Danis and Roloson and one good but constantly injured DiPietro? Puzzling.

Well, 15 year contracts always sounded like a good idea

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #797
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, 15 year contracts always sounded like a good idea

SI

Life contracts!

I didn't realize Danis had signed with New Jersey when I wrote that but I think my point holds true with just DiPietro, Roloson and Biron in the mix.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #798
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
They traded that pick which ended up to be Pitkanen for Fedatanko.
Yeah I was trying to say TB was blasted for the move, but turned it into a Cup.

For Philly, Pitkanen turned into Lupul who turned into Pronger.

Quote:
Or as he's known in Pittsburgh....Andy "FUCKIN" Delmore. HAHAH

Or An_y _elmore
Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #799
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NHL is investigating Hossa's contract:

London Free Press - Hockey - NHL investigating Hossa's new contract

Quote:

NHL investigating Hossa's new contract
Thu, July 30, 2009

* Email
* Print
* Write
* Size: A A A

Share:

* Facebook
* Digg
* Del.icio.us
* Google
* Stumble Upon
* Furl
* Newsvine
* Reddit
* Technorati
* Blinklist
* Feed Me
* Yahoo
* Socializer
* Ma.gnolia
* Raw Sugar
* Simpy
* Squidoo
* Spurl
* Blink Bits
* Rojo
* Blogmarks
* Shadows
* Netvouz
* Scuttle
* Co.mments
* Bloglines
* Tailrank
* Sitejot

+ Help
By BRUCE GARRIOCH, SUN MEDIA

The NHL is investigating whether Marian Hossa’s new 12-year, $62.8-million (all terms US) contract with the Blackhawks circumvents the collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap, Sun Media has learned.

The ’Hawks could be facing a maximum fine of $5 million and the loss of draft picks if the league’s investigation uncovers proof of allegations that Chicago discussed the possibility of Hossa retiring before the end of the deal, which would end Hossa’s cap hit.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the investigation in an e-mail yesterday, stating that league officials are concerned with the structure of the contract.

What it boils down to is Hossa’s cap hit over the 12 years is $5.23 million a season, but for the first seven years, he’ll make $7.9 million a season before dropping to $4 million in 2016-17.

It’s the final four years of the deal that have the NHL up in arms as Hossa is scheduled to earn $3.5 million, period.

If Hossa were to retire after the eighth season, the $5.23-million cap hit would disappear, too.

“We’re trying to understand how it was negotiated and whether the intent and effect is to circumvent the cap,” wrote Daly.

“This was the first of the long-term contracts that took a player out past the age 40 and the value of the contract in its ‘out years’ was dramatically lower than its early years.

“We want to know if the possibility of player retirement was ever discussed or even contemplated.”

“The NHL is looking to put a damper on these 10-plus-year contracts with throwaway years tacked on at the end,” a league executive said last night. “They are building a strong case against Chicago to make an example of them.

"This issue won’t just go away. Lots of other GMs are supporting the league here.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #800
samifan24
Pro Starter

Wow what else can go wrong this off-season in Chicago?