Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #751
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I think Phelps was amazing, but that's absurd - swimming lends itself to far more medals than other sports. You have the 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500M races, along with one in each style (freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly), along with the medleys and relays, etc etc. Running has far less.

If you are going to include every swimming event you also need to include long distance running, walking and maybe triathlon and pentathlon/decathlon. When you put all those together I bet the difference in events is pretty slim.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #752
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I wonder what it would take for a swimmer to have an incredible achievement. I mean if someone comes along and smashes Phelps record with like 12 Golds in the 2016 games, will people be saying, "Big deal! There are too many swimming events!"?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #753
spleen1015
Coordinator

How many races did Bolt run for his amazing achievement?

How many races did Phelps swim for his amazing achievement?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #754
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Someone else has to break it first to make him setting a new record relevant.
But the record he set the other night broke his own record, and people are talking about it.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #755
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK, Let's settle this once and for all:

SWIMMING SUCKS

OK, now let's go back to our TVs and start enjoying the proper Olympics.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #756
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

The fact that Bolt hasn't run the 100 competitively and now shows up running fast times is not all that surprising. He has been around for a couple years running the 200, which too is a flat out sprint to the finish. His training for the 200 and 400 more than prepared him for the 100. It's not like he was a middle distance guy then all the sudden wins a sprinting event. He has been training as a sprinter since he was young. My guess (and just a guess) is that somewhere along the line he has greatly improved his start and first 20 meter times.

While his accomplishment is great, its not that far out of the park as people may think. To this day, Tyson Gay still has the fastest recored time in the 100 at 9.68, to which he also pulled up at the end of the race. Obadele Thompson also has also run a 9.69.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #757
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Bolt's race was extremely exciting but to those that follow T&F it was a little disappointing in the fact that it had the potential to be a show down of 3 world class sprinters that have ALL run 9.74 or faster but ended up being a 1 man race, which made it look even more dramatic. His Jamican counter-part, Asafa Powell, showed just how easy it was to one day run a 9.74 and the next be in the back of the pack. Tyson gay may say he was 100% but the lack of ability to train for a month prior to the olympics had to take a toll on his abilities. Had Gay not been injured we could easily be taking about him. While Bolt's best event supposedly is the 200, he best time of 19.67 run THIS year still trails Tyson Gays 19.62 run last year.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #758
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
why are they more sacred though? aren't they

1) statistically more likely to be doping
2) also utilizing technology - tracks designed to be "faster", as well as scientifically-designed shoes that are both lighter and designed to aid the runners in all kinds of ways with cushioning and stuff like that (that I freely admit I don't totally understand)

??

the answer to both of those questions is: "yes"

The difference is that the advancements in track-and-field in that sense get less airtime than the changes in the swimming.

There really aren't any "sacred" sports anymore where you don't see the impact of technology - maybe something like discus or shot-put is the only type of event.

I think track events are, in some sense, more "sacred" than swimming events. Phelps' performance certainly has been incredible, but that being said, running is somehow more elementary, more basic, more fundamental and more universal in a human sense. Everyone on the planet who has the physical ability to run has done so at some point in their life. This can't be said about swimming. That's what makes Bolt's performance so amazing to me. He is far and away the fastest on the planet doing something all of us who are physically capable have done at least once in our lives. Phelps is great, but I can't say the same thing about him.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #759
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I enjoy the swimming events far more than T&F.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #760
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

dola: I don't get the amazingness of Bolt. He beat a WR by .02 that he had already beaten before. So what?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #761
MikeVic
Head Coach

Geez you people, both achievements were awesome and I don't think you can compare them.

The 100M is one of the premier events, so it gets a lot of attention and means a lot to some countries. Donovan Bailey said it best when he said that Bolt will have a holiday and his face on money one day. Swimming might not have the same wow factor, but Phelps had to win many races and perform at his best in each one in order to achieve what he did. Maybe not individually as sexy as the 100M, but eight golds is frickin' crazy. I do agree that swimming needs to lose some races though.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #762
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Good weekend for Canada, we went from 0 medals to 8 in a couple of days. We are now tied with Phelps!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #763
MikeVic
Head Coach

We have to win eight medals every two days now.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #764
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I think track events are, in some sense, more "sacred" than swimming events. Phelps' performance certainly has been incredible, but that being said, running is somehow more elementary, more basic, more fundamental and more universal in a human sense. Everyone on the planet who has the physical ability to run has done so at some point in their life. This can't be said about swimming. That's what makes Bolt's performance so amazing to me. He is far and away the fastest on the planet doing something all of us who are physically capable have done at least once in our lives. Phelps is great, but I can't say the same thing about him.

you can't swim?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #765
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
you can't swim?

I can swim, but I know a lot of people who can't and have no desire to learn.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #766
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I know a lot of people that don't run and refuse to do it.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #767
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

flojo gonna come back to life and put michael phelps and usain bolt to shame. she gonna put on one of them swimsuits, grow her nails to 16 feet long, and run on top of the water so fast, itll shut all yall up

calling it now
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #768
RendeR
Coordinator

If there were a medal round for unadulterated assinine hyperbole, pumpy would be the Universal record holder and gold medal champion.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #769
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hoo boy. you thought there was bitching about the new gymnastic scoring system? Wait till tonight. It's a fucking doozy.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #770
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Hoo boy. you thought there was bitching about the new gymnastic scoring system? Wait till tonight. It's a fucking doozy.

So how does that work, if you had a higher difficulty on a tie?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #771
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Liu Xiang achillies prevents him from running the 110m hurdles. Big news for China!

I was actually looking forward to seeing this cat. Damn it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #772
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
So how does that work, if you had a higher difficulty on a tie?

Whoever had the best starting difficulty would win, I believe.

But it went beyond that, to the third tiebreaker
Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #773
Jas_lov
College Starter

It went to throwing the highest and lowest judge's scores out, averaging the others, averaging deductions, blah blah blah. I read through it and got confused. There's gotta be an easier way.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #774
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
It went to throwing the highest and lowest judge's scores out, averaging the others, averaging deductions, blah blah blah. I read through it and got confused. There's gotta be an easier way.

there is:

throw out the score of the athlete who isn't the minimum required age of 16.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #775
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Seriously, even standing one podium higher she's still only as tall as Natsia. On a side note, her self-satisfied smile makes me cringe.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #776
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I still think Nastia still might end up getting the Gold (and another one in the team event) after all is said and done.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #777
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Seriously, I'm not one to get worked up over gymnastics, but it's hard not to feel insulted every time that Chinese girl is on the screen. She should really have "China thinks you're stupid" stamped on her forehead.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #778
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Natsia got screwed, that tie breaker system is wacky. They automatically throw out the highest and lowest scores when figure the normal score for someone, and in this tie breaker they then threw out the next lowest as well. It is a dumb ass way to do things IMO.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #779
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

In debate, they have a tiebreaker to eliminate the highest and lowest scores, then they go with double high low. The tiebreakers in gymnastics just seemed wonky and intended to screw someone over. But then, it's a sport that's just screaming for controversy.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #780
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Natsia got screwed, that tie breaker system is wacky. They automatically throw out the highest and lowest scores when figure the normal score for someone, and in this tie breaker they then threw out the next lowest as well. It is a dumb ass way to do things IMO.

Yeah, it seems like the tiebreaker essentially rewarded the zygote for having another low score attributed to her. In judged sports, I think generally high and low scores are tossed within the confines of ONE COMPETITOR'S score, not over the scores of two competing rivals to determine a tiebreak. That's just stupid.

Ah well, this is one of the many reasons people only pay attention to gymnastics once every four years.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #781
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I find it funny how the men's vault was also a tie right after this, and their tie breaker was the guy with the highest score on one jump. Still don't like the tie breaker system, but at least for that event the tie breaker is less dumb.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:39 AM   #782
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

The olympics have been a farce ever since they dropped Tug of War as an official sport.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #783
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
The olympics have been a farce ever since they dropped Tug of War as an official sport.

+1

I choose this over 120 hours of beach volleyball.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #784
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If you are going to include every swimming event you also need to include long distance running, walking and maybe triathlon and pentathlon/decathlon. When you put all those together I bet the difference in events is pretty slim.

Absurd. The speed/endurance ratio differences are so dramatic between the 100 meters and the marathon that I can't believe you're even serious. Furthermore, you're trying to include events with field components. Swimming is just swimming. Perhaps you should include the diving events along with the swimming ones?

Here's an interesting tidbit:

There are 4 medal events available to track athletes in which the individual athlete will cover 200 meters or less. The 100 meters, 200 meters, 110 meter hurdles, and the 4x100 meter relay.

There are 13 medal events available to swimmers in which the individual athlete will cover 200 meters or less. I'm too lazy to type them all, but there are 13 of them.

Furthermore, do you really not see how the fact that Phelps passed another swimmer who held the men's record for most gold medals in an Olympics and at the same time a swimmer also holds the women's record for most gold medals in an Olympics clearly shows that the playing field for this "record" is tilted in favor of dominant swimmers? It can't get much more obvious.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #785
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Agree. If it was good enough for Battle of the Network Stars...should be good enough for the Olympics.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #786
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Absurd. The speed/endurance ratio differences are so dramatic between the 100 meters and the marathon that I can't believe you're even serious. Furthermore, you're trying to include events with field components. Swimming is just swimming. Perhaps you should include the diving events along with the swimming ones?

Yeah, but the original list included the 400m, 800m, and 1500m swimming events, which was really cheating. People don't swim the 800m and the 200m, for example.

Quote:
Here's an interesting tidbit:

There are 4 medal events available to track athletes in which the individual athlete will cover 200 meters or less. The 100 meters, 200 meters, 110 meter hurdles, and the 4x100 meter relay.

There are 13 medal events available to swimmers in which the individual athlete will cover 200 meters or less. I'm too lazy to type them all, but there are 13 of them.[/quote]

I would argue that the 100m running event is more analogous to the 50m swimming event. For instance, the 200m swim certainly isn't a sprint like the 200m dash is.

Quote:
Furthermore, do you really not see how the fact that Phelps passed another swimmer who held the men's record for most gold medals in an Olympics and at the same time a swimmer also holds the women's record for most gold medals in an Olympics clearly shows that the playing field for this "record" is tilted in favor of dominant swimmers? It can't get much more obvious.

Which is why we don't compare Phelps medal haul to a track athlete's medal haul. But what we can do is look at how Phelps has done against every other swimmer in history, and compare that to how a certain track athlete has done against every other track athlete in history.
Phelps now has 14 medals to the 2nd place swimmer's 9.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #787
Huckleberry
College Starter

Maybe you aren't comparing him to others. But have you not noticed the "Greatest Olympian Ever" crap they've been blaring?

And while I agree that 200 meters in swimming is a lot more difficult than 200 meters in running, endurance wise, the point is that there are over 3 times as many events in the same range. The speed/endurance ratio difference in 200 meters compared to 100 meters is roughly the same. Not the same, but roughly.

And if you prefer, while there are 3 ~100 meter events in track, there are 6 swimming events of exactly 100 meters.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #788
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

I like how for two years, only TWO teams competed. And in one of those years, some Mixed Team bizzaro stuff took place. And you have winners like "Milwaukee Athletic Club." And if you click on the Mixed Team mumbo-jumbo, it shows that the U.S. and Cuba won in something as a combined team. Sweet.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #789
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can someone tell me what's going on in the men's diving? I was watching this before leaving for work this morning... Interested in how that Canadian guy is doing. He was 2nd when I left.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #790
Anthony
Banned

why can't they just have one more routine in the event of a tiebreaker? like a sudden death overtime. then they take the avg of your two scores?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #791
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe you aren't comparing him to others. But have you not noticed the "Greatest Olympian Ever" crap they've been blaring?

But why isn't he one of the greatest Olympians? In a single Olympics, he's done better than everyone in the history of his event. In multiple Olympics he has absolutely fucking crushed everyone in the history of his event (14 Golds to 9 Golds). All of these people I'm comparing him to had the same advantages with similar swimming distances, but none of them could do it. Only Phelps could.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #792
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nevermind, following on Live Result
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #793
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

weehee, silver for Despaties!

Great comeback after flopping one in the preliminaries and qualifying 9th.

FM
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #794
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yay! I think we matched the 2004 total medal count now?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #795
MikeVic
Head Coach

You know, if you look at the men/women split per country... France is just crazy. 25 for the men, 3 for the women. Everyone else is pretty close.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #796
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But why isn't he one of the greatest Olympians? In a single Olympics, he's done better than everyone in the history of his event. In multiple Olympics he has absolutely fucking crushed everyone in the history of his event (14 Golds to 9 Golds). All of these people I'm comparing him to had the same advantages with similar swimming distances, but none of them could do it. Only Phelps could.

I said "the 'Greatest Olympian Ever' crap" and you said "one of the greatest Olympians."

Those extra two words make a huge freakin' difference, don't you think?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #797
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
You know, if you look at the men/women split per country... France is just crazy. 25 for the men, 3 for the women. Everyone else is pretty close.

Wow, that's reminiscent of the East German women vs. men splits.

I'm just sayin'.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #798
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I said "the 'Greatest Olympian Ever' crap" and you said "one of the greatest Olympians."

sigh...

FM
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #799
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yay! I think we matched the 2004 total medal count now?

Yep, although 1 less gold (replaced by a bronze this year). Impressive rally given where we were at a few days ago. I think they heard us discussing the idea of revoking sex privileges in the village if they didn't perform. It's all about motivation
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #800
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I would say that if someone is clearly "one of the greatest Olympians ever" that I would certainly not consider it crap for someone to call them "the greatest Olympian ever". My point is he certainly belongs in the discussion and seems to be as good a choice as anyone else.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 08-19-2008 at 09:28 AM.