Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #751
Easy Mac

List of highest paid players each year on Baseball Reference. This can't be right, can it?

Code:
Year National League Salary American League Salary 2012 Matt Guerrier 4,750,000 Mark Teahen 5,500,0000
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #752
molson
General Manager

I think Bobby Bonilla made more than that last year.

I see that error on Baseball Reference, the code is screwed up. Both players' names start with Ma, it's pulling from some alphabetical list or something.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #753
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
List of highest paid players each year on Baseball Reference. This can't be right, can it?

Code:
Year National League Salary American League Salary 2012 Matt Guerrier 4,750,000 Mark Teahen 5,500,0000

Pujols made that last night.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #754
Easy Mac

Listening to Tim Kurkjian talking on the Tony Kornheiser show makes me weep for prominent baseball journalism. That he doesn't even understand why walks are important is incredible.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #755
Butter
Coordinator

As a Reds fan, I've learned that those walkers are just clogging up the bases.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #756
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Zach Costart at #2 cuz he's a #2 hitter, right?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #757
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Really funny that Choo and Votto lead the league in walks.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #758
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Zach Costart at #2 cuz he's a #2 hitter, right?

SS hits second. Don't fucking question the system.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #759
kingfc22
Head Coach

What bullshit. Alfonso Marquez has now blown TWO calls. One at the plate and now one and third. Rockies should send him a nice bottle of wine tonight.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #760
kingfc22
Head Coach

Extra inning, come from behind, inside the park walk off home run.

Beautiful!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #761
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My brother and I was there at the Giants game but left after 9. I'm not going to ever forget missing the one chance I had to see an inside the park hr.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #762
Suicane75
Coordinator

(Joke about being old. Something about needing a nap maybe.)

But seriously, why did ya leave?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #763
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
What bullshit. Alfonso Marquez has now blown TWO calls. One at the plate and now one and third. Rockies should send him a nice bottle of wine tonight.

The first one was bad but the second one was missed but he was so far out of the base path, he should have been out
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #764
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Twenty years ago today, one of the great events in MLB history happened.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 05-26-2013 at 06:54 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #765
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The first one was bad but the second one was missed but he was so far out of the base path, he should have been out

You're kidding, right? He missed the base by about 6 inches.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #766
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So tell me if I was out of line here.

Went to the Reds game today with wife and kids. People next to us had 2 kids, probably 8 and 10. Towards the end of the game they go and get cups of ice water. They then decide to have an ice fight, horsing around, ice down shirts, etc... I should mention at the time I have my 3 week old daughter in the carrier strapped to my chest.

The kid sitting next to me if bumping into me a lot, a few splashes on my arm, but I ignore it because I get kids are kids. My wife takes my son to the bathroom. While she is gone the game ends and the kid next to me throws the rest of the water into his cup straight into theair, mostly landing on me and my daughter. I have now had enough.

I stand up and say to Mom 2 seats down, your kids just splashed water all over me and my baby, can you please ask them to settle down.She looks at me like I am the asshole, thinks of a good responses, and says, buddy, this is a baseball game. I then say, so that means it is ok to throw water onto people?

My wife had just gotten back, and you don't fuck with Mama bear, wife gave the lady one glare and she grabbed her kids and left.

The Beach Boys played a show after and it was a really good time, but man was I pissed. Funny thing is the ladys husband didnt say a word and didnt look at me. I must be intimidating with a 3 week old strapped to me.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-26-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #767
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

No, you weren't.

I'd go so far as to call your restraint admirable.

Quote:
Funny thing is the ladys husband didnt say a word and didnt look at me. I must be intimidating with a3 week old strapped to me.

I doubt it was the intimidation tbh. More likely he's simply disinterested in defending his worthless waste of oxygen of a wife & his candidates-for-retroactive-abortion children.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #768
spleen1015
Coordinator

You waited to long to say something.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #769
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We needed to leave in order to get a table at Smugglers Cove, best rum bar there is.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #770
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Stuff

Why in the world would you take a 3 week old to a baseball game?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #771
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Why in the world would you take a 3 week old to a baseball game?

Why wouldn't you?

Do you think you need to be a hermit once you have children?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #772
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why wouldn't you?

Do you think you need to be a hermit once you have children?

We forget how little our Leah truly is. She's nearly four months old but she's only three weeks old adjusted... but she can handle most things like this weekend we had an all day outing to a garden and amusement park. And she did fine for the most part, but it wore my wife out big time.

I suspect a baseball game is fine.. as long as not constantly crying.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #773
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hardly any crying, except when she was hungry, and the ballpark has several nursing stations so obviously they want to cater to young families.

I guess I just don't understand WHY he thinks a 3 week old shouldn't be at a game. Safety? Potentially annoying people around us? Just seemed like an odd comment.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #774
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Went to the Reds game today with wife and kids. People next to us had 2 kids, probably 8 and 10. Towards the end of the game they go and get cups of ice water. They then decide to have an ice fight, horsing around, ice down shirts, etc... I should mention at the time I have my 3 week old daughter in the carrier strapped to my chest.

The kid sitting next to me if bumping into me a lot, a few splashes on my arm, but I ignore it because I get kids are kids. My wife takes my son to the bathroom. While she is gone the game ends and the kid next to me throws the rest of the water into his cup straight into theair, mostly landing on me and my daughter. I have now had enough.

I stand up and say to Mom 2 seats down, your kids just splashed water all over me and my baby, can you please ask them to settle down.She looks at me like I am the asshole, thinks of a good responses, and says, buddy, this is a baseball game. I then say, so that means it is ok to throw water onto people?

My wife had just gotten back, and you don't fuck with Mama bear, wife gave the lady one glare and she grabbed her kids and left.

The Beach Boys played a show after and it was a really good time, but man was I pissed. Funny thing is the ladys husband didnt say a word and didnt look at me. I must be intimidating with a 3 week old strapped to me.

Be happy it wasn't a Phillies game

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #775
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Why wouldn't you? Do you think you need to be a hermit once you have children?

Your response is not only silly, but furthers my initial perception of your original post. Take your baby out of the equation and tell me if you're still as annoyed.

Quote:
Hardly any crying, except when she was hungry, and the ballpark has several nursing stations so obviously they want to cater to young families.

Or maybe they just don't want to have to deal with people bitching that there aren't any changing stations. They also have baseball there, so obviously they want to cater to young kids.

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand WHY he thinks a 3 week old shouldn't be at a game. Safety? Potentially annoying people around us? Just seemed like an odd comment.

Safety yeah, but mostly the annoying thing. If you think it's ok that people have to deal with your kid crying (which on some level you must, otherwise you wouldn't have brought him), why do you think it's not ok that you have to deal with kids having a good time?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #776
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you think it's ok that people have to deal with your kid crying (which on some level you must, otherwise you wouldn't have brought him), why do you think it's not ok that you have to deal with kids having a good time?

Took mine all sorts of places, never ran into a big issue ... as long as I didn't take him during the colic hours.

Not every baby is a shrieking banshee, especially not if they're the engaged in their surroundings sort.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #777
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm not suggesting they are, and I'm not suggesting it's a parenting issue or anything like that. I just know that my level of excitement for a day out at the ball game would drop significantly if the guy sitting next to me had a newborn strapped to him, not because I hate kids or think that their parents should be hermits, but as a common courtesy. One that I shouldn't be put in a position to deal with at an event like that, and would probably irritate me.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #778
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not suggesting they are, and I'm not suggesting it's a parenting issue or anything like that. I just know that my level of excitement for a day out at the ball game would drop significantly if the guy sitting next to me had a newborn strapped to him, not because I hate kids or think that their parents should be hermits, but as a common courtesy. One that I shouldn't be put in a position to deal with at an event like that, and would probably irritate me.

{shrug} A well-behaved child, I'm not seeing an issue. One that has parents that lack the sense/common decency to remove the child from the situation if it becomes problematic, whole different matter.

Maybe it's just one of those odd things where I actually assume the best instead of the worst until proven otherwise. (which ain't my default setting)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #779
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Suicane, your response is typical of someone who has no kids.

To answer your questions.

Yes, I would have been just as annoyed had my kid not been with me. I would rather not have ice water dumped on me regardless of the situation.

It is illegal to not have changing stations, and I actually said nursing station, 2 very different things. And as soon as the baby started crying my wife took her to feed her

I don't expect anyone to have to deal with my kid crying, but it is a baseball game, not a nice restaurant or movie theater, and we actually purchased tickets through a family package for that section.

IMO there is a difference between kids having a good time and crossing a line to being out of control.

You yourself say you don't want a screaming baby next to you at a game, well I would rather not have kids dumping ice water on me.

Quote:
I just know that my level of excitement for a day out at the ball game would drop significantly if the guy sitting next to me had a newborn strapped to him, not because I hate kids or think that their parents should be hermits, but as a common courtesy.

Do you realize how hypocritical this is? In one statement you say they shouldn't have to be hermits, and in the next say it should be a common courtesy to not bring them out? To a day baseball game on a Sunday? Are you serious?

Last edited by Lathum : 05-27-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #780
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Suicane, your response is typical of someone who has no kids.

To answer your questions.

Yes, I would have been just as annoyed had my kid not been with me. I would rather not have ice water dumped on me regardless of the situation.

It is illegal to not have changing stations, and I actually said nursing station, 2 very different things.

I don't expect anyone to have to deal with my kid crying, but it is a baseball game, not a nice restaurant or movie theater, and we actually purchased tickets through a family package for that section.

IMO there is a difference between kids having a good time and crossing a line to being out of control.

You yourself say you don't want a screaming baby next to you at a game, well I would rather not have kids dumping ice water on me.

Do you realize how hypocritical this is? In on statement you say they shouldn't have to be hermits, and in the next say it should be a common courtesy to not bring them out? To a day baseball game on a Sunday? Are you serious?

If it didn't matter then why did you feel the need to mention it?

I would expect kids sitting around me at a baseball game, I wouldn't expect an infant.

And I wasn't talking about your courtesy, I was talking about mine. I'm saying if someone next to me has a baby there are certain things I wouldn't do at the game that I might otherwise, out of courtesy to you, and that would bother me, because now I have to change how I act based on the fact that you need to needlessly bring your baby to a ballgame. And stop it with this hermit thing, nobody except you has equated not bringing a baby to a ballgame with being a hermit ffs.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #781
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think I'd feel more of a need to change my behavior (well, not me personally, as I'm not going to get drunk and swear and act the fool in that situation anyway) around kids who are 8-10 more than I would an infant. I mean, a three-week-old isn't going to know what the hell you're doing, it's just going to sit there being the little grub (and I mean that in a good way) that it is.

The family Lathum encountered sounds like a bunch of asses, to me. Kids can have a fun time, but don't do it at the expense of others in attendance. Pretty sure my family members would be pretty pissed if they had water splashed all over them.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #782
miked
College Starter

:shrug: I would rather sit next to a poorly behaved child than a poorly behaved adult. Hint, one is much more pervasive at sporting events than the other. I brought my 8 week old to a Braves game. Aside from waking up and wanting some food once or twice, she was much more quieter and behaved than some of the adults I've been to games with. Most parents too, can also recognize when it's time to bring the baby inside to the snack area where there is much more space and away from the action.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #783
Suicane75
Coordinator

Maybe it's just me, I'd be a lot less apt to yell, clap or be raucous with a baby next to me.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #784
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It's just you. I don't expect anyone to change their behavior anywhere I bring my child. It isn't like I asked them to be quiet. I asked them to not throw water on me.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #785
Suicane75
Coordinator

And your baby.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #786
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

She needed a bath anyway
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #787
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, I'd be a lot less apt to yell, clap or be raucous with a baby next to me.

Honestly, I think that one is mostly on you.

There's always a chance that you'll end up next to some halfwit that confuses a ball game with a meditation class but by & large I figure most people would have the same general expectations of your behavior whether they had a baby with them or not.

And I think cuervo hit on something too, I believe you'd actually encounter more expectations (unfair & unrealistic though they might be) from people who brought pre-tweens with them than from those who brought babies.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #788
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm curious if the stances on this discussion are the same when it comes to the movies or a restaurant?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #789
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm curious if the stances on this discussion are the same when it comes to the movies or a restaurant?

I'm on the record as having no problem with well-behaved kids pretty much anywhere they can legally be.

The behavior is the key, not the age itself, afaic.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #790
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm on the record as having no problem with well-behaved kids pretty much anywhere they can legally be.

The behavior is the key, not the age itself, afaic.

Not something I find myself saying often, but I agree with Jon
(meh, didn't feel nearly as dirty as I suspected).

I find that I'm probably a little too restrictive with my kids in public places, as it makes my skin crawl watching other parents do nothing.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #791
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Not something I find myself saying often, but I agree with Jon (meh, didn't feel nearly as dirty as I suspected).

Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #792
PilotMan
Head Coach

Look Squirrel!!!

Anyway, has Mattingly been fired yet?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #793
cougarfreak
College Starter

I've got a sneaky suspicion the Reds and Indians are throwing down tonight.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #794
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Look Squirrel!!!

Anyway, has Mattingly been fired yet?

I honestly haven't been paying that much attention except to chuckle at their misfortune, but aren't the Dodgers only like 7 games back? With all the injuries they've had, that's not even that bad. I understand their payroll is obscene and expectations are high, but they're by no means out of this thing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #795
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I've got a sneaky suspicion the Reds and Indians are throwing down tonight.

Choo and Phillips both got hit, but nothing happened.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #796
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I honestly haven't been paying that much attention except to chuckle at their misfortune, but aren't the Dodgers only like 7 games back? With all the injuries they've had, that's not even that bad. I understand their payroll is obscene and expectations are high, but they're by no means out of this thing.

I only follow the Dodgers through fantasy and when the Cardinals play them but this weekend Mattingly pulled Matt Kemp for a pinch hitter in like the 6th or 7th inning. I know Kemp is having a subpar year but seems like a bit of over managing there. And I admit I am somewhat biased based purely on fantasy on this one but for some reason he has something against Andre Ethier, if the replacement were an improvement I might agree but Ethier seems to be in the doghouse like he is the reason that Mattingly can't manage.

And as far as injuries go I would agree and don't know what Mattingly's role is in the decision making but anyone who is shocked that the likes of Hanley Rameriz and Josh Beckett are injured doesn't follow baseball very closely. What not see if Chase Utley, Carlos Qunetin, or Jose Reyes are available?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #797
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Choo and Phillips both got hit, but nothing happened.

Yeah, I think that's the smart thing for the Reds to do. Honestly, I thought Chapman's first pitch slipped the night before. The second one up by Swisher's head was total BS. If you want to make a point there, throw at his ass, not near his head. Hopefully that stuff is done.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #798
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I only follow the Dodgers through fantasy and when the Cardinals play them but this weekend Mattingly pulled Matt Kemp for a pinch hitter in like the 6th or 7th inning. I know Kemp is having a subpar year but seems like a bit of over managing there.

But (after reading more) that was part of a double switch, one of two Mattingly made during the game. And that eventual pinch-hitter did drive in an critical insurance run.

Quote:
And I admit I am somewhat biased based purely on fantasy on this one but for some reason he has something against Andre Ethier, if the replacement were an improvement I might agree but Ethier seems to be in the doghouse like he is the reason that Mattingly can't manage.

Looks like Ethier is sitting mostly against left handers right now. Checking his game log it appears the first benching was on 5/17 vs Atl/Maholm. He sat again on 5/19 vs Atl/Minor. Sat again 5/22 vs Mil/Peralta (a RHP), that's the game where quotes about fielding the lineup that plays the hardest were made. He sat again Monday vs LAA/Wilson, as ESPN.com noted "The Dodgers seem committed to using Ethier in a platoon going forward with Ethier batting just .238 for his career against lefties. "

Otherwise I suspect what he's got against Ethier is watching him underproduce & badly (more than .100 below his career OPS so far this year). There's also continuing concerns about his "on-field demeanor", so his lack of production likely makes sitting him a lot easier decision. That looks like a case where it's time for a guy to move on but the pricetag makes that difficult at best.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #799
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But (after reading more) that was part of a double switch, one of two Mattingly made during the game. And that eventual pinch-hitter did drive in an critical insurance run.

Looks like Ethier is sitting mostly against left handers right now. Checking his game log it appears the first benching was on 5/17 vs Atl/Maholm. He sat again on 5/19 vs Atl/Minor. Sat again 5/22 vs Mil/Peralta (a RHP), that's the game where quotes about fielding the lineup that plays the hardest were made. He sat again Monday vs LAA/Wilson, as ESPN.com noted "The Dodgers seem committed to using Ethier in a platoon going forward with Ethier batting just .238 for his career against lefties. "

Otherwise I suspect what he's got against Ethier is watching him underproduce & badly (more than .100 below his career OPS so far this year). There's also continuing concerns about his "on-field demeanor", so his lack of production likely makes sitting him a lot easier decision. That looks like a case where it's time for a guy to move on but the pricetag makes that difficult at best.

I know it was a double switch and you do those with Skip Schumaker or Dee Gordon, never seen it done with a superstar even when they are having a down year. LaRussa was the king of overmanagement and I never saw him take out Pujols or Holliday to preserve the pitcher's spot later on in the inning.

Ethier has been sitting against right handers as well and it goes back to who is the replacement. If you have 4-5 legit outfielders platoon away when Scot Van Slyke and Jerry Hairston Jr. are starting in his place maybe you are overmanaging.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #800
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Ethier has been sitting against right handers as well

When?

Dodgers have played 50 games, Ethier has played in 48.

He's started 44 games in RF, 1 at DH. That leaves 2 games where he didn't play and 3 games where he didn't start.

He didn't play 4/7 vs Pit (vs LHP Locke)
He didn't start 5/17 vs Atl (vs LHP Maholm)
He didn't start 5/19 vs Atl (vs LHP Minor)
He didn't play 5/22 vs Mil (vs RHP Peralta)
He didn't start 5/27 vs LAA (vs LHP Wilson)

So where - other than the one I mentioned earlier - has Ethier "been sitting" against right-handers?