Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #751
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
In a chat with that Code guy and he's now saying the Oilers have thrown themselves into the Joe Thorton mix. Says they'll offer Thorton $6 mil per. If that actually happens this isn't the New NHL, it is the bizarro NHL.

Can't see it happening. Thornton's not unrestricted, so they'd have to send something back to Boston, and that'd probably have to include Ryan Smyth, the heart of their team. Very doubtful.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #752
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
Can't see it happening. Thornton's not unrestricted, so they'd have to send something back to Boston, and that'd probably have to include Ryan Smyth, the heart of their team. Very doubtful.

That's who they're offering.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #753
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Now if they sign Lindros, the Leafs will go from the "Elderly" team, to the "Cripple" team... I can hear the Toronto media now.
That's the general consensus, but realistically it's not like guys like Niewendyk, Mogilny and Nolan were exactly Steve Larmer.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #754
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
That's the general consensus, but realistically it's not like guys like Niewendyk, Mogilny and Nolan were exactly Steve Larmer.

What's up with Mogilny anyways... I'm assuming he's played his last games in the NHL.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 PM   #755
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
That's because they really are evil. He's just masquerading as good. I believe I found a nice little thing on google image search that sums up my feeling nicely:

SI

SI,

I'm sorry, would you mind re-posting the above quoted message? I was unable to read it because I was temporarily blinded by these...

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:06 PM   #756
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
What's up with Mogilny anyways... I'm assuming he's played his last games in the NHL.

His hip is still bad, but he apparently wants to play, and has said he'd be willing to sign cheaply. But it's not clear when he'll be ready to go.

Interesting that he and Bure, two-thirds of the last big Soviet line, are physical writeoffs or close to it by their middle 30's. Gotta wonder if there's something that's made them particularly injury-prone, and what it means for Fedorov staying healthy.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #757
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
Interesting that he and Bure, two-thirds of the last big Soviet line, are physical writeoffs or close to it by their middle 30's. Gotta wonder if there's something that's made them particularly injury-prone, and what it means for Fedorov staying healthy.

Fedorov was wearing protection?

I got nothing.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #758
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
SI,

I'm sorry, would you mind re-posting the above quoted message? I was unable to read it because I was temporarily blinded by these...

I've gotta say, it's odd that a Red Wing fan would paraphrase a famous Patrick Roy quote.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #759
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
I've gotta say, it's odd that a Red Wing fan would paraphrase a famous Patrick Roy quote.

I hate Roy more than any sports figure ever. Ever. But still, I love that quote. It was genius, pure genius. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #760
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick

I had nowhere to go, personally, but that was a perfect zing back at H_B

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:04 PM   #761
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
wow. I am completely speechless.
maybe he can get a locker next to Aebischer (the guy May completely mugged in that infamous game)? although, at least it's better than Barnaby. and Worrell. and Marchment...

(I think I need to find a new team)

You can always cheer for the Flyers. At least you have some familiarity with one of their players!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 PM   #762
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
There was some rumor of him going to Anaheim to re-unite with Federov. But I wouldn't be shocked if he retires.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:35 PM   #763
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Kariya to the Preds made me smile. The SouthEast isn't being ignored by the big talent. This gives hope that the Thrashers sign Heatley and Kovelchuk. I know these teams were in the contraction talks, but good for hockey if the stars make people come out and watch them.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #764
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ugh... just read on ESPN.com that the Devils offered more money to Niedermayer and Holik than the teems that signed them (Anaheim and Atlanta respectively), but both spurned Jersey .

Crap.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #765
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Kariya to the Preds made me smile.
Likewise. I heart the new CBA.

Last edited by Karim : 08-05-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #766
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm just now catching up with news stories I saved from earlier this week after coming back from my honeymoon and I stumbled across some of the ESPN stories from pre-free agency crazy period about the lockout and now I'm a little worried. Sure, I wasn't all that fond of the idea of the Hawks going after Khabibulin while they had a top 10 goalie in Thibault already manning the net but now I'm even more worried. I had forgotten about all the goalie changes they had made to the CBA. There were really no other major goalie moves so every other team gets to sit back, watch their keeper and how they do with the new goalie rules and then decide the "new" rankings of them kindof like how some teams probably should have done before giving huge contracts to defensemen (tho I still think Gonchar is a genius signing because he's perfect for the new rules and was good under the old ones). So, if it turns out that under the new netminder rules, Khabibulin can't play nearly as well, they're on the hook for some serious cash for longer than anyone else has a goalie under contract while everyone else gets to sit back and reevaluate who is best under for the most important position on the ice.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:37 PM   #767
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

finally some good news for the Avs - Hejduk signs a 5 year deal
Old 08-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #768
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wow... Sportsnet says Palffy signs with the Pens.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #769
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Columbus signs Rick Nash to a 5 year, $27 million deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132652
Old 08-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #770
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow... Sportsnet says Palffy signs with the Pens.

Wow, what a fucking team.

Powerplay of:

Palffy - Lemieux - Malkin/Morozov/Malone
Crosby - Gonchar

No depth on that team, but top three lines will be absolutely phenomenal!!!

~rpi-fan
Old 08-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #771
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

They're going to score the most goals but they're also going to give up the most goals.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #772
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
No depth on that team, but top three lines will be absolutely phenomenal!!!
People who play the NHL video game with line changes off will love the Penguins.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #773
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I was thinking about the Penguins forward lines:

Recchi - Lemieux - Palffy
Crosby - Morozov - Malkin
Eastwood - Kraft - Malone

Absolutely phenomenal group, there.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #774
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

Another possibility is to replace Eastwood with Konstantin Koltsov who is a speed burning winger who played well 2 years ago. He played on the Belarus World Cup team.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #775
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Phenomenal group until Lemieux and Palffy get hurt and Morozov goes in the crapper...
Old 08-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #776
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'd flip Palffy and Malkin.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:47 PM   #777
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I'd flip Palffy and Malkin.

Except Malkin is a natural center and Palffy a left wing. You might see Pallfy actually on the 2nd line with Lemiuex-Crosby-Recchi as the top line and the Pallfy-Malkin-Morozov.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #778
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Except Malkin is a natural center and Palffy a left wing. You might see Pallfy actually on the 2nd line with Lemiuex-Crosby-Recchi as the top line and the Pallfy-Malkin-Morozov.

Just have to wonder if they'd waste Crosby's speed, playing with Recchi.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #779
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Columbus signs Rick Nash to a 5 year, $27 million deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132652
Good signing by CBS. It may be overpaying now, but it will pay dividends in the future. Just look at Boston for how not to deal with a star player. Nash would have been eligible to leave at age 25 so it makes sense for CBS not to nickel and dime him until that age.

I'm thinking Atlanta is going to have a hard time with both Kovalchuk and Heatley now...

Last edited by Karim : 08-06-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #780
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Just have to wonder if they'd waste Crosby's speed, playing with Recchi.

I always thought on Palffy as a left wing, but in reading the article in the Pittsburgh papers the listed him as a right wing. If he plays right wing then I would put him on the first line with Lemiuex at left wing and Crosby in the middle. Then have recchi, malone and malkin on the 2nd line or Kraft at center if Malkin doesn't sign.

The Penguins I think realize they do have a small window to win again with Lemiuex and they are going for it and then hope they can continue to be successful with the Crosby and Malkin as the offensive leaders.

Another Penguin rumor is that they do want a veteran goalie and the leading possibility is Sean Burke.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #781
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Good signing by CBS. It may be overpaying now, but it will pay dividends in the future. Just look at Boston for how not to deal with a star player. Nash would have been eligible to leave at age 25 so it makes sense for CBS not to nickel and dime him until that age.

I'm thinking Atlanta is going to have a hard time with both Kovalchuk and Heatley now...

Over paying? I think $5.4 million a year is about right. He's a young player, already scored 40 goals, was lights-out during the World Championships. He could easily be considered one of the best young players in the game. I think it's a good deal all around.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #782
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296

Another Penguin rumor is that they do want a veteran goalie and the leading possibility is Sean Burke.

Also heard CuJo's named mentioned on this front.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #783
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Over paying? I think $5.4 million a year is about right.
I think it's a good deal but you could argue that it's overpaying for a 21 year old with only two years experience in the NHL. He's already cracked 40 goals but can he do it again? I suspect he will but I hate seeing guys get paid on the basis of one good season with the expectation that that level of production will continue only to see them never reach the same heights again. Nash is also attrocious defensively but I'm sure that CBS didn't care as long as they had someone to market. Show me you've improved your game in all areas, can still lead the team offensively and then you'll get your pay day.

I don't consider what anyone did at the World Championships or in Europe as relevant. Rucinsky, for example, will go into the IIHF Hall of Fame as one of the greatest players to have ever played.

Last edited by Karim : 08-07-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #784
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs continue to show their ironic side by signing Andrew Brunette. Brunette, if I remember right, is the guy who knocked the Avs out of the playoffs in 2002, making him the last guy to score on Patrick Roy. Pretty soon, they are going to sign some ex Red Wings.

I do like Brunette, even though his so-so skating may not be a great fit for this team.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #785
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

As to a TV deal, I read something in th NY Times that Comcast has decided not to make OLN a national sports network and will not be pursuing a TV deal with the NHL.

ESPN is interested in televising a few games and wants some sort of revenue sharing deal.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #786
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think it's a good deal but you could argue that it's overpaying for a 21 year old with only two years experience in the NHL. He's already cracked 40 goals but can he do it again? I suspect he will but I hate seeing guys get paid on the basis of one good season with the expectation that that level of production will continue only to see them never reach the same heights again. Nash is also attrocious defensively but I'm sure that CBS didn't care as long as they had someone to market. Show me you've improved your game in all areas, can still lead the team offensively and then you'll get your pay day.

I don't consider what anyone did at the World Championships or in Europe as relevant. Rucinsky, for example, will go into the IIHF Hall of Fame as one of the greatest players to have ever played.

I wouldn't be so quick to consider what goes on at the World Championships irrelevant. Kris Draper, for example, played for Canada on the 2003 World Championship team. He played some lights out hockey on a line with Doane and Maltby. He was a team leader, was checking the other team's top line, and was contributing some very timely goals. What happens next? Draper has the season of his career in 2003-2004, scored 20+ goals and was the Wings best player in the playoffs. I think, and Draper admitted it himself, that the confidence he he gained in playing so well for team Canada was a huge boost to his play back in the NHL. It can make a difference for some guys.

I happened to run into Rick Nash in the airport in Vienna following the World Championships. He really didn't seem all that big or imposing at all. I wouldn't have even noticed him, but for the Blue Jackets' gear he was carrying around.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #787
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Avs continue to show their ironic side by signing Andrew Brunette. Brunette, if I remember right, is the guy who knocked the Avs out of the playoffs in 2002, making him the last guy to score on Patrick Roy. Pretty soon, they are going to sign some ex Red Wings.

I do like Brunette, even though his so-so skating may not be a great fit for this team.

We tried that whole Avs-to-Wings thing a while back with Uwe Krupp. It didn't work out so well. At all. I am sure it would be just as bad going the other way. Wouldn't recommend it.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #788
Karim
College Starter

Things not so rosy in Carolina...
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/h...-9136779c.html
Old 08-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #789
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I love that photo/caption. Very passive aggressive.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #790
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I love that photo/caption. Very passive aggressive.

Indeed. A great photo and caption.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #791
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

So is Gretzky the new Coyotes coach

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...49&hubName=nhl

or is he not?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...07_163911_5096

Eklund has Lindros to the Leafs as dead, which could mean Lindros and LeClair to the Rangers. Meh, if they're both a 1 yr deal at a good price then I won't complain.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #792
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Eklund has Lindros to the Leafs as dead, which could mean Lindros and LeClair to the Rangers. Meh, if they're both a 1 yr deal at a good price then I won't complain.

as long as they don't go to Colorado, I wont complain either.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #793
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'll have to admit that I was really lukewarm on the deal at first, but I'm really coming around on it now. On HFBoards, they think MacLean just broke the CBA. Doug must have done something to their families, I don't know.

This will be an escalating deal, so he's only gonna be making a little over 3 million at the beginning of the deal and 7 at the end. I think 3.5 million is a great price for him right now. And instead of doing a 3 year deal cheaper now, we won't deal with going to arbitration and having to degrade Nash. He IS the Blue Jackets to people here in Columbus, the last thing that we would need is a holdout or seeing Doug nickel and dime him now, and watch him leave later. Also, by the end of this deal, I think he'll be worth a lot more than his 5 million dollar cap hit will be. Doug is sacrificing that extra cap space now, so that down the road, he'll have a little more to work with when the team is prime to go after the Stanley Cup.

Also, I really think he is starting to improve his game on all cylinders. He's gotten a lot better on the defensive end, and by the end of the 03-04 season, he was making some fine defensive plays, such as chasing a guy all the way down the ice, throwing the stick down in front and stopping a 2 on 1 about 10 feet from the net.

I'm just more excited about this team than I've ever been and I'm ready for 9/18, which is our first preseason game against the Sabres. I'm pumped for some live hockey!
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #794
Karim
College Starter

I just found out that there are only single season tickets left at the 'Dome. The President expects to sell out (16,500) season tickets. They've reserved another couple thousand or so for game packs and game day sales.

So much for 'sending a message' after the lockout...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 PM   #795
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i wish Palffy would of re-sign with the Kings.

Damn the Kings need one more scorer to be set.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #796
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Wings bring in Chris Osgood for 1 year, $900000.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132824

Last edited by TazFTW : 08-08-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #797
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Wings bring in Chris Osgood for 1 year, $900000.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132824

Oh, but he's back
He's the man behind the mask
And he's out of control
He's back
The man behind the mask
And he crawled out of his hole
Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #798
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i wish Palffy would of re-sign with the Kings.

Damn the Kings need one more scorer to be set.

Meh, I like him in Pittsburgh better. Have to see him less often.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #799
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In all honesty, given what was out there in the way of goaltenders and the reasonable price ($900K) and the length of the deal (1 year), I am fine with this signing. Osgood played well in Detroit. And, like I have said many times, he wasn't the reason the Wings lost in the playoffs in '99 and '00. Yes he let in an occassionaly untimely goal, but the Wings' offense dried up something fierce in those series. So, once again, the Wings goaltending situation is adequate, not great, but adequate.

Well, at least they now have some more cash to throw around elsewhere.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #800
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Flyers reup Simon Gagne to a 1 year, $2 million deal. It is $25000 higher than what he was qualified.

Yep, his agent got him a $25000 raise.