Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #751
3ric
College Starter

If I remember correctly, that's one of the old-timers, Beckenbauer or maybe Platini that you mean... it's like if a football fantasy pick'em a little kid would select Unitas or Tarkenton as QB.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #752
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Okay...then why do the players have to tell the fat kid who to pick, right after that? Can he only name 4 players or something?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #753
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ronaldinho = AMAZING
Old 06-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #754
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The player mentioned, Franz Beckenbauer, is one of those players that played in the 1970's., (that's early 70's footage of him trotting on to the field)

From Wikipedia

Franz Beckenbauer (born September 11, 1945) is a famous German football player, coach and manager, nicknamed der Kaiser ("the emperor") because of his elegant style, his leadership qualities and his domination on the football pitch.

started his playing career at the age of 9 with the youth team of SC Munich '06 in 1954.

He joined the Bayern Munich youth team in 1958 at the age of fourteen. He made his debut with Bayern in the Regionalliga Süd (Regional League South) on the left wing against FC St. Pauli on 6th June 1964.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #755
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Ronaldinho = AMAZING

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6I22o2-fJgY
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #756
3ric
College Starter

Cracking game so far.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #757
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Beckenbauer and Platini are probably on a list of the top 15 players of all time - they were that good. Platini is probably second only to Zidane in terms of French players historically.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #758
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Beckenbauer and Platini are probably on a list of the top 15 players of all time - they were that good. Platini is probably second only to Zidane in terms of French players historically.

I would suggest it may even be the other way round. In the build up French commentators have said that things are still judged against the benchmark of the 1982-1984 sides, despite the fact that they never won the WC.

Platini, Tigana, Giresse, Rocheteau, Six - they had pretty good midfield & attacking options
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #759
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nice flares...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #760
3ric
College Starter

Amazing support for the Croatians, they are proud of their team, and rightly so.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #761
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Imagine the team Yugoslavia could have fielded, since both Croatia and Serbia qualified.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #762
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Imagine the team Yugoslavia could have fielded, since both Croatia and Serbia qualified.

Now imagine half of those players killing each other from hate...

I read Croatia played well... can't wait to watch the replay.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #763
Icy
Pro Starter

Bad game from Basil, they were lucky that Croatia didn't have any real striker.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #764
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I think Reyna is one of the very few who was blameless for yesterday, without his workrate and closing down the Czechs would have controlled midfield even more. Pretty much everybody else shares the blame, the young players who didn't show up at all, McBride bringing his poor EPL form into World Cup and being invisible, Donovan and Beasley both being anonymous (Beasley needs to watch that game again if he thinks he didn't suck).
To be fair to McBride (although I didn't follow his premiership season), he's not a guy who can create on his own. Unless he gets service from the midfield, he's basically useless. And, thus, he was.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #765
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Okay...then why do the players have to tell the fat kid who to pick, right after that? Can he only name 4 players or something?

If I remember the advert correctly, I think Zidane tells the kid to pick Platini, possibly the best French player ever.

Platini
Beckenbauer
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #766
Huckleberry
College Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRO62...occer%20diving

Intentionally mislabeled, of course, but I hadn't seen it.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #767
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Oh, that is good.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #768
saldana
Pro Starter

can i get a brasil score, i didnt see any of the game (stuck at work)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #769
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

1-0 brazil
Old 06-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #770
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'd swear the guys rolling over were Germans. That's what they teach us here. We even use a German word for 'diving'.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #771
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
1-0 brazil
thanks ss
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #772
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

How it was done?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hb2h...ter%20football
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #773
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
I'd swear the guys rolling over were Germans. That's what they teach us here. We even use a German word for 'diving'.

Do they use a Dutch word for spitting at players then?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:55 PM   #774
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
I'm not sure if it were overtly stated (RPI would likely have done so if anyone ) but it is implicit in the defence of USA as a top 5 or even top 10 nation - my take is that a top 5 side or top 10 ten side has the right the think that they could win the WC: therefore if people believe the former I assume they believe the latter.

So no, maybe it wasn't explicity written, but it was implicit in the arguments as I read them

I didn't see anyone defending the top 5 rating either (again, I'm not speaking of here specifically--someone may have done it here; I mean in general). I just did not see the expectations being set as high as you apparently did. I saw people ASKING "can the USA repeat their amazing 02 performance? And going on to talk about how the squad is much improved from that one (which is true in most people's opinion in terms of skill and ability). It's not a big deal, I am basically responding to what I found surprising, which is that there were expectations as opposed to just curiosity and hope or even optimism. I don't think I can name one single person that thinks or thought prior to the match that the USA has the potential to be a serious contender towin this World Cup tournament.

Speaking of things I had not heard of, can anyone tell me if this thing I keep hearing about Landon Donovan urinating on the field at Azteca is true? And did he predict a USA win and Mexico defeat in their openers of the WC? I have heard this a lot from some Mexican people on another site I frequent, but they are unable to cite sources. I had not heard of this either (I do live in the USA and soccer news is not exactly front page here).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #775
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I do not think any knowledgeable soccer fan in the US actually thought that we were a top 5 international side. I think we are in the top 15.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #776
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Speaking of things I had not heard of, can anyone tell me if this thing I keep hearing about Landon Donovan urinating on the field at Azteca is true? And did he predict a USA win and Mexico defeat in their openers of the WC? I have heard this a lot from some Mexican people on another site I frequent, but they are unable to cite sources. I had not heard of this either (I do live in the USA and soccer news is not exactly front page here).

pretty sure the urinating part is true...there was a line about it in last weeks sports illustrated as a reason the mexicans dont like us. (soccer-wise)

Last edited by saldana : 06-13-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #777
MrBug708
Head Coach

He did on a bush outside.

Mexico hates Cobi Jones much, much more then they hate Donovan
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #778
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I do not think any knowledgeable soccer fan in the US actually thought that we were a top 5 international side. I think we are in the top 15.

Not to be harsh, but I disagree with this - I put the US in the 25-30 range - conceding that no 10 can lose to no 30 on a given day. The lack of any star quality is one of the reasons I feel that way.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 AM   #779
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

USA is a second tier soccer nation, lumped in with numerous teams that on any given day can beat a top tier team, but on most days will not, and also is susceptible to being beaten by a third tier team on any given day.

Second tier teams never win the World Cup. They sometimes make the semi-final when the planets align just right.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 06-14-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:28 AM   #780
MrBug708
Head Coach

Personally speaking, if the planets ever align, it would preferably benefit me in the form of winning the lottery or nailing Eva Longoria. Or some would say the second is basically the first.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 AM   #781
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

My appreciation for Ms. Longoria has been growing recently.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #782
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
. . . if soccer keeps getting played more and more in the USA, with colleges giving already scholarships, etc etc USA will become a superpower in the next 10 years. . . .but i see USA winning the WC in the future, and the MLS as the top worldwide league.

This will simply not happen (and definitely NOT in 10 years). As long as the top 99 percent of its athletes opt for basketball, baseball, football, etc. the U.S. will NEVER win the World Cup or become a superpower. That's not really a negative because I would say that about 95% of the national teams in the world. The U.S. lacks one very important ingredient: passion for the sport in the country as a whole.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 06-14-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:45 AM   #783
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Do they use a Dutch word for spitting at players then?
I thought spitting was Italian.
But I bet the Germans refer to spitting as Rijkaarding or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Wow, it takes some guts to admit that your are not a knowledgeable soccer fan.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #784
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I thought Brazil played pretty well considering they only had 10 players for the majority of the match. However did Dida have some sort of mystical ball-attracting device? Every Croatian shot went straight at him.

Anyway the Croats showed that it's possible to beat the Brazilians. (Particularly if they persist in playing a patently disinterested Ronaldo). Then again the Belgiums showed that last time as well. It's just no-one managed it.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 AM   #785
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
This will simply not happen (and definitely NOT in 10 years). As long as the top 99 percent of its athletes opt for basketball, baseball, football, etc. the U.S. will NEVER win the World Cup or become a superpower. That's not really a negative because I would say that about 95% of the national teams in the world. The U.S. lacks one very important ingredient: passion for the sport in the country as a whole.

I think you're being overly pessimistic. A great amount of excellent athletes play soccer until a certain age and then quit. Granted, I doubt we'll see 11 Ray Lewis' knocking the ball around, but I think that players like Eddie Johnson will become the norm. Big (for a soccer player), fast, strong and technically adept. American athlete training is second to none and as more and more players move overseas, it will become a financial alternative to playing another sport here.

Passion will be an issue, but that's a problem in all US international sports these days. Just look at the Winter Olympics or the last US basketball team performance in the Summer.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:04 AM   #786
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I think you're being overly pessimistic. A great amount of excellent athletes play soccer until a certain age and then quit. Granted, I doubt we'll see 11 Ray Lewis' knocking the ball around, but I think that players like Eddie Johnson will become the norm. Big (for a soccer player), fast, strong and technically adept. American athlete training is second to none and as more and more players move overseas, it will become a financial alternative to playing another sport here.

Passion will be an issue, but that's a problem in all US international sports these days. Just look at the Winter Olympics or the last US basketball team performance in the Summer.

I think the issue is that most American high-school athletes tend to do multiple sports and the favourite sports will tend to be the American sports.

Most soccer players that play professionally dedicate themselves to soccer exclusively from a relatively young age. Don't get me wrong, these guys are athletes as well (Ryan Giggs was really good at rugby if I recall correctly) but they really only train in soccer from a certain point on.

Also, and this is personal opinion, the other issue may be that American athletes have various avenues to get "rich". For European soccer players, they don't really have that option to play in other sports and so it's all or nothing sometimes.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #787
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
USA is a second tier soccer nation, lumped in with numerous teams that on any given day can beat a top tier team, but on most days will not, and also is susceptible to being beaten by a third tier team on any given day.

Second tier teams never win the World Cup. They sometimes make the semi-final when the planets align just right.

Heh - don't be so pessimistic ... it wasn't long ago that people said similar things about Greece not having a chance of winning the European Championships ...

(that being said I don't think anyone outside of the 'first tier' will win the cup this year)

PS> I personally think the eventual winner will at least partially be determined by the weather in Germany, if it remains extremely hot then it'll be a country who are used to playing in the heat - if it rains and cools down then it'll be a european side, at the moment you can see most Euro sides wilting in the heat to at least some extent imho ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-14-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #788
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

One thought. I believe the us soccer is too "americanized". I mean. In baseball, in football there's always a coach saying what you have to do the next. Each play of each game is coached. Even in basketball, the players are "outcoached", with subs and timeouts.

In soccer the players are 45 minutes with the minimal hints of the coachs. All is more on the hands and the improvisation of the players. The other day I see the US team no without passion but without imagination to try other things.

Of course well coachs and a good physical are importants in the soccer. But the real talents come from playing. For better of worse I can't see any multi-athlete being a great soccer-player.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 AM   #789
Critch
lolzcat

Spain always look good on paper but fail to look good on the pitch in the World Cup. So far it looks like they've worked out how to look good on both.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #790
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ukraine is looking aweful today. I know, they're usually a counter attack team, but Spain is steam rolling over them righ now. It could very well end up 4-0 for Spain if the guys in yellow can't improve their play.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #791
MIJB#19
Coordinator

What the...? Red card? Penalty kick? For that!?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #792
Critch
lolzcat

Ooooh, terrible decision.

First penalty kick of the World Cup, I think.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #793
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Ooooh, terrible decision.

First penalty kick of the World Cup, I think.
Yeah, first penalty kick and also the first direct red card of the tournament.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #794
Dunleavy
High School JV

goal of the tournament by Spain on 80 minutes, it was an stunning team goal set up by center back Pauol and finished infactically by Torres.

Spainish most impressive, 4 nil
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #795
MIJB#19
Coordinator

It's too easy to blame it all on the referee...
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #796
Critch
lolzcat

I know a few people who have money riding on there being 5 or less penalty kicks during regular time in the World Cup. That decision wasn't a good one for them
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #797
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
// sarcasm

Woo hoo! Finally, someone suffered a worse loss than the US! We've moved up to 31/32.

//
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-14-2006 at 09:55 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #798
Icy
Pro Starter

Awesome game from us, i really hope that we can keep playing at this level.

Spain always had the players quality but always lacked teamwork and specially sacrifice. Today they put both plus the players quality and playing that way nobody can beat us. The key is that we brought to the WC a really young team and they fought the full 90 minutes as it must be done.

Incredible game by Fernando "El niño" Torres, he showed his great speed and skills. Also wingback Pujol had a great game and he was who created the last goal chance, a really beautiful teamwork one. I liked a lot too the midfield control by Xavi, spreading the ball to the wingers and leading our attack.

About the penalty i agree, it shouldn't have been called. The defender pulled him from the pants, but not enought to bring him down.

It's a really happy day in Spain, lots of ppl is partying in the street already in Madrid, the capital city ,where some huge screens were placed in one of the biggest squares for the citizens to watch the game.

Last edited by Icy : 06-14-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #799
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
It's a really happy day in Spain, lots of ppl is partying in the street already in Madrid, the capital city ,where some huge screens were placed in one of the biggest squares for the citizens to watch the game.

While in Barcelona, it's quiet
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #800
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo
I thought Brazil played pretty well considering they only had 10 players for the majority of the match.

Did I miss something or are you being sarcastic?