Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #751
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I know you're joking, and this isn't really directed towards you, but I don't get how people always look at FT disparity as some sort of evidence of unfairness. If referees are required to call fouls equally regardless of what's actually going on on the court, why don't we just get all the FTs out of the way before the game starts?

It's not evidence of unfairness. It is evidence that one team is getting called for far more damaging fouls than the other team. The reasons why are to the judgment of the observer, hopefully using other observations.

The driving thing is one good reason for the disparity. That said, the Lakers have to my eyes actually driven more to the basket in this game than in Game One, and the disparity has actually gotten larger.

Also, you would be ignoring the fact that there is a general trend to giving the home team more calls, a fact that has borne itself out throughout this playoffs. To disregard that and assume everything is on the up and up would be silly. It seems pretty clear to the Celtics have benefited here (and the Lakers will likely see similar benefits at home, thus the value of home court advantage).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #752
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and BTW, wow, nice comeback.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #753
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

kudos to the lakers for making it an actual game - celtics really need to close out games better
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #754
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Celtics gotta have Killer Instinct in LA, that's two straight series we've almost thrown a big game away
Old 06-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #755
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yeah...a 29-7 run is not acceptable

I know the Celtics are a good defensive team, but you really should give the Lakers some credit
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #756
st.cronin
General Manager

Paul Pierce is on his way to being a Boston-area legend.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #757
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I know you're joking, and this isn't really directed towards you, but I don't get how people always look at FT disparity as some sort of evidence of unfairness. If referees are required to call fouls equally regardless of what's actually going on on the court, why don't we just get all the FTs out of the way before the game starts?

It's not evidence of unfairness, I agree. But just because it isn't, doesn't mean that it was reffed fairly as well either
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #758
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't watch a lot of NBA basketball, but there was one point late in the game where Vujacic was shooting a wide-open 3 right in front of the Boston bench. As soon as Vujacic caught the ball, three Celtics jumped up off the bench and started running toward him, screaming and waving their arms to try to distract him. Is that normal? Seems kinda bush league to me, but I dunno. Whatever the case, I thought it was pretty funny.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 06-08-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #759
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I know the Celtics are a good defensive team, but you really should give the Lakers some credit

They got really hot from 3 ball land. No lead is safe if they hit threes like that
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #760
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Paul Pierce is on his way to being a Boston-area legend.

Already there. Heck, he would have been there just for surviving multiple stabbings, regardless of what he does on the court.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #761
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
or taking a contract out on the officials (been hearing a lot of that from LA fans)

If anyone actually uses that term, I would probably just laugh. Most of their fans have no problem doing it themselves
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #762
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I don't watch a lot of NBA basketball, but there was one point late in the game where Vujacic was shooting a wide-open 3 right in front of the Boston bench. As soon as Vujacic caught the ball, three Celtics jumped up off the bench and started running toward him, screaming and waving their arms to try to distract him. Is that normal? Seems kinda bush league to me, but I dunno. Whatever the case, I thought it was pretty funny.

Heh, really? I missed that. Yeah, that's bush league. Don't think it's normal, but maybe every team does it, and I just never noticed.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #763
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I'd say that's somewhat commonplace. You should watch Ben Howland on UCLA's sideline. He's notorius for waving his hands around when someone is on that side of the court
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #764
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Very one sided game in my opinion. If the Lakers can even the series up at 2-2 I can see them winning this series in 7.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #765
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I saw that too, but I thought they were yelling at the ref for some call they thought was missed. I could be wrong, and it's already deleted from my TIVO.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #766
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Most of their fans have no problem doing it themselves

Well, depends which fans you're talking about. The ones in Jack's neighborhood take out contracts. The ones in Pedro and Long Beach do it themselves.

The ones in the OC just cry themselves to sleep.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #767
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh, really? I missed that. Yeah, that's bush league. Don't think it's normal, but maybe every team does it, and I just never noticed.
Yeah, it was the 2-on-1 where Radmanovic stole the ball and passed crosscourt to Vujacic for the 3. I guess I'm wondering if every team does that, or if maybe there are just a few guys in the league who'd pull that stunt.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #768
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I feel good, that only two teams have won all three games at home since the finals went 2-3-2, and the Lakers have to get all three.. do you think they can come to Boston and win both?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #769
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I saw that too, but I thought they were yelling at the ref for some call they thought was missed. I could be wrong, and it's already deleted from my TIVO.
No, they didn't jump up until Vujacic caught the ball and was clearly about to start his shooting motion.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #770
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I feel good, that only two teams have won all three games at home since the finals went 2-3-2, and the Lakers have to get all three.. do you think they can come to Boston and win both?

If they are up 3-2, yes. If they are down 3-2, no
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #771
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Niiiiiice travel.

I assume this is about the Vlady fastbreak dunk? I see a lot of travels in the NBA go uncalled (and probably saw about 5 off the top off my head tonight), but that was perhaps the most obvious travel I've ever seen go unwhistled. He shuffled his feet after picking up the ball, and then took 3 steps after that just in case anyone missed it the first time.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #772
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
If they are up 3-2, yes. If they are down 3-2, no
It'd be a pretty neat trick if the Lakers won two games in Boston if they go up 3-2.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #773
Jas_lov
College Starter

Lakers fans shouldn't be complaining about the refs. They got destroyed by Boston for 3 quarters and deserved to lose. The Lakers made a nice run in the end, but ultimately the Celtics have them in a position where they have to sweep all 3 games at home or they're finished.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #774
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I assume this is about the Vlady fastbreak dunk? I see a lot of travels in the NBA go uncalled (and probably saw about 5 off the top off my head tonight), but that was perhaps the most obvious travel I've ever seen go unwhistled. He shuffled his feet after picking up the ball, and then took 3 steps after that just in case anyone missed it the first time.
Wait, when did the NBA start calling traveling again, especially on a breakaway dunk?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #775
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Lakers fans shouldn't be complaining about the refs. They got destroyed by Boston for 3 quarters and deserved to lose.

There are four quarters in game if anything the Lakers should take this game as a positive.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #776
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

It was a makeup call for the play right before where Kobe was grabbed and twisted. I'm at peace with it
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #777
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Wait, when did the NBA start calling traveling again, especially on a breakaway dunk?

Ya, I think it's like a language at this point - after some time, it changes, no matter what the dictionary/rules say. Traveling hasn't been called by the rules as long as I've been watching the NBA (since around 1986). At some point, people will finally give up and accept it.

Last edited by molson : 06-08-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #778
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It'd be a pretty neat trick if the Lakers won two games in Boston if they go up 3-2.

You know what I mean
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #779
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Lakers fans shouldn't be complaining about the refs. They got destroyed by Boston for 3 quarters and deserved to lose. The Lakers made a nice run in the end, but ultimately the Celtics have them in a position where they have to sweep all 3 games at home or they're finished.

Newsflash, a game is four quarters long. You play all four before the game is in the books. And if that game is called straight, maybe the Lakers go back with a split right now. Lakers' fans have every right to complain.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #780
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Ya, I think it's like a language at this point - after some time, it changes, no matter what the dictionary/rules say. Traveling hasn't been called by the rules as long as I've been watching the NBA (since around 1986).

The "Arizona Hop" rule
Old 06-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #781
st.cronin
General Manager

Traveling never gets called when a player is that far ahead of the defense.

knives out
Old 06-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #782
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Ya, I think it's like a language at this point - after some time, it changes, no matter what the dictionary/rules say. Traveling hasn't been called by the rules as long as I've been watching the NBA (since around 1986). At some point, people will finally give up and accept it.
That's been my experience with it, too, as I watched the NBA a lot from the early '80s up until John Stockton retired. Yeah, Radmanovic did travel, but nobody's calling that. Hell, once he got clear of the defense, he could've gone the whole way without dribbling and they wouldn't have called it.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 06-08-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #783
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Newsflash, a game is four quarters long. You play all four before the game is in the books. And if that game is called straight, maybe the Lakers go back with a split right now. Lakers' fans have every right to complain.

Ummm no they don't. That game was called just fine.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #784
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post

I have no horse in this race but I think the Celtics got the best of that deal.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #785
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I have no horse in this race but I think the Celtics got the best of that deal.

Easily. No one is blaming the refs for the loss, that is on the Lakers still. But the Lakers weren't the home team and didn't get the benefit of the calls. It's the unfortunate break
Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #786
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post

Yeah, and W is a good president!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #787
molson
General Manager

Any NBA game = losing team's fans (and 50% of neutral fans) think they were screwed by refs
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #788
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Celtics play a weak schedule/can't win against the West/can't beat a good team in the playoffs/can't win on the road/get the benefit of referee calls.

You guys are hilarious!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #789
larrymcg421
Head Coach

dola

I'd also add that if it's true that home teams get the benefit of calls, then perhaps the Lakers should have won more games in the regular season.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #790
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The Celtics play a weak schedule/can't win against the West/can't beat a good team in the playoffs/can't win on the road/get the benefit of referee calls.

You guys are hilarious!

It's fine to say that now, but there was good evidence for all of those except the second one (they always had a good record against the West). Can't really say people saying that at the time could have been said to be wrong at that point. It's only in hindsight that you can dismiss #3 and #4. And the Celtics did play a weak schedule (that is still true), and they clearly benefited from referee calls tonight. Really, it's unbelievable that that is even in dispute when the FT discrepancy was almost four to one.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #791
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

You guys are hilarious!

Quote:
dola

I'd also add that if it's true that home teams get the benefit of calls, then perhaps the Lakers should have won more games in the regular season.

Both your comments make little sense.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #792
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It's fine to say that now, but there was good evidence for all of those except the second one (they always had a good record against the West). Can't really say people saying that at the time could have been said to be wrong at that point. It's only in hindsight that you can dismiss #3 and #4. And the Celtics did play a weak schedule (that is still true), and they clearly benefited from referee calls tonight. Really, it's unbelievable that that is even in dispute when the FT discrepancy was almost four to one.

Chief, you know that physical teams rarely foul.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #793
Kodos
Resident Alien

As much as I hate to see a Boston team be successful --- GO FOR THE SWEEP!!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #794
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
they clearly benefited from referee calls tonight. Really, it's unbelievable that that is even in dispute when the FT discrepancy was almost four to one.

knives out
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #795
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

maybe if the lakers drove to the rim instead of settling for jumpers they'd get more FT's
Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #796
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
maybe if the lakers drove to the rim instead of settling for jumpers they'd get more FT's

Playing the maybe if/what if game will get us no where. Maybe if the refs called the game a bit more balanced, we are tied 1-1
Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #797
st.cronin
General Manager

KOBE CAN'T WIN WITHOUT SHAQ

knives out
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #798
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
KOBE CAN'T WIN WITHOUT SHAQ

JORDAN CAN"T WIN WITHOUT PIPPEN
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #799
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so when the C's lose a game in LA (and I have no doubt they will lose at least one) you Lakers fans are going to be okay with us Celtics fans bitching about all the calls the Lakers got, right?

you're not all going to be a bunch of hypocrites, right?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #800
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Whether or not they played a weak schedule is irrelevant. The criticism was that they only had a good record because of that weak schedule, which is a stupid criticism since they played very well when they did face tough teams.

Free throw disparity is a pretty dumb way to criticize refereeing. Do you think it is impossible for a team to commit 30 fouls and the other team to commit only 6? I don't think it is.

Let me ask you, what is a reasonable disparity? If the Lakers got 10 more calls, so it was 30-16? Then maybe the Celtics don't ease up and still win. Or would it have to be 30-30 for the game to be fair?