Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #751
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just wanted to say that if you hear that I have been beaten up you will know why....

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/act/671891199.html
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #752
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, the Fabian Brunnstrom sweepstakes are over. He is going to Dallas.

Hopefully this not a sign of things to come...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #753
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, the Fabian Brunnstrom sweepstakes are over. He is going to Dallas.

Hopefully this not a sign of things to come...
He should have announced that it was down to Detroit and Dallas, and the winner of the series gets him.

Then at the end of the series, the winning team could parade around the ice holding him over their head.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #754
MikeVic
Head Coach

I know nothing of this Fabian guy... who is he?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #755
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
He should have announced that it was down to Detroit and Dallas, and the winner of the series gets him.

Then at the end of the series, the winning team could parade around the ice holding him over their head.

That would have been cool.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #756
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I know nothing of this Fabian guy... who is he?

He's the current "best player outside the NHL"

...that or one of the guys from Milli Vanilli
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #757
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

And the Flyers chances pretty much went down the drain. Timmonen is most likely out for the series and year with a blood clot in his foot.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #758
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Well with that loss, which is pretty much crippling to the Flyers I will change my thoughts from Flyers in 6 to Pens in 6. Kimmo was the #1 defenseman on the roster and with Colburn shut down Ovechkin and the Habs top line. Without him....ugh.

Detroit in 6.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #759
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's 2-0 Wings but seriously, put the whistles away. Jesus christ.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #760
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
It's 2-0 Wings but seriously, put the whistles away. Jesus christ.

The officials were awful last night. They caleld the game way too tight. Not good. That roughing call that gave the Wings their first 5-on-3 was one of the weakest I've ever seen. The Stars had a legitimate beef on Holmstrom's goal too. He's been called for interference on a lot less.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #761
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I didn't post picks for this round since both teams from my original prediction are still alive.

But as far as games:
Detroit in six
Penguins in five
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #762
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quenneville is leaving Colorado
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #763
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
The officials were awful last night. They caleld the game way too tight. Not good. That roughing call that gave the Wings their first 5-on-3 was one of the weakest I've ever seen. The Stars had a legitimate beef on Holmstrom's goal too. He's been called for interference on a lot less.

They should also have a beef that they can't hold Detroit's jock.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #764
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens take 1-0 lead...Malkin was easily the best player on the ice.

Also, seeing on the Versus postgame...Kolzig done as a Capital. I guess they are pretty confident they'll re-sign Huet?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #765
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pens take 1-0 lead...Malkin was easily the best player on the ice.

Also, seeing on the Versus postgame...Kolzig done as a Capital. I guess they are pretty confident they'll re-sign Huet?

Meh...one is unrelated to the other, methinks. The Caps should have moved on from the Olie the Goalie era years ago, even if Waldo was the next goalie behind the door.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #766
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Good stuff at the end of Wings-Stars game 2.

Puck dumped in with a few seconds left. As the clock hits 0:00, Mike Ribeiro skates in and takes an apparent butt-end from Osgood. To which Ribeiro turns back, and swings his stick over top the goal, into Osgood's chest. You'd think there was a sniper in the arena the way Osgood crumpled to the ice.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #767
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dallas vs Detroit will be fun in Big D tomorrow. Riberio won't be playing I am sure and Osgood might not either. What Ozzy did was dumb but calculated imo. They know Riberio is an idiot and he showed why again last night.

The bigger display of idiocy was Steve Ott conceding and going after Drapes. Yeah they probably don't score on that rush up the ice but way to give your team a shot.

With Franzen not playing tomorrow night, I expect DMac will dress and he and Ott will drop the gloves early.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #768
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Well if it wasnt bad that Kimmo is out...Colburn is out with a puck to the face.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #769
14ers
High School Varsity

How can that not be a goal for Pittsburgh? Is there an amount of time that the puck needs to be inside the goal to count?

Do they have the same camera angles as the TV station? From the last angle it looked like a no brainer, but I don't know if the officials would have that low angle available to them.

Last edited by 14ers : 05-11-2008 at 07:27 PM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #770
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
How can that not be a goal for Pittsburgh? Is there an amount of time that the puck needs to be inside the goal to count?

Do they have the same camera angles as the TV station?
No...i think it was a bad call. I think it was a goal but the angle wasn't straight above and I think Biron's glove covered up the proof.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #771
MikeVic
Head Coach

Gary Roberts, eh?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #772
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
No...i think it was a bad call. I think it was a goal but the angle wasn't straight above and I think Biron's glove covered up the proof.

I agree. I think it was a goal, but I still think they made the right call under the rules. It was ruled not a goal by the on ice officials. According to the rules, you need definitive video evidence to over rule the on-ice call and there just wasn't any.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #773
Logan
Head Coach

Under a minute left in a one-goal Eastern Conference Finals game...let's talk about our mothers while there's a loose puck in front of the net.

Only on Versus.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #774
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Colburn needed 60 stitches. Both eyes are swollen shut, I doubt he plays game 3.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #775
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Not playoff related, but Nashville gives Martin Erat $4.5 per over 7 years!

So what does this means UFAs like Ryan Malone and RFAs like Corey Perry and Jeff Carter are going to be looking for?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #776
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think Carter is going to get about $5 mil per, Richards is getting $5.75 mil and I don't think Carter is as valuable as Richards to pay him that much . Saying that I think RJ Umberger will be looking for a new home next year because he'll be the odd man out.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #777
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dola...I'd be curious to see how much of a "home town discount" Ryan Malone gives the Pens. Some people around my office think that Malone is going to sign for around $2 to $2.5 million and I think they are crazy if they think he's going to sign for that low.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #778
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Malone will probably see around the same money Erat got. Someone might be desparate and offer more ($5). I don't know if the Pens bring him back at $4.5. I think at $3.5 for like 3 years they are all over it.

But if they let Malone and Hossa both walk, they enter the season the same place they entered last year-- 2 premier centers, and about 1 top six winger (Sykora) between them.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #779
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think Hossa is going to want about $7 mil, he is already making $6 mil now, but I also believe they will get something worked out with Malone to keep him.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-13-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #780
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the free agent market seems a bit thin this year, and a lot of the biggest names at forward are old. Malone is one of the few good under-30 players out there
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #781
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Since no one has said it...Ron Wilson was fired as Sharks coach.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #782
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think Hossa is going to want about $7 mil, he is already making $6 mil now, but I also believe they will get something worked out with Malone to keep him.

He is at $7 this year, and will probably want a raise. I've accepted he's leaving.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #783
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He is at $7 this year, and will probably want a raise. I've accepted he's leaving.

Sorry...i was looking at his cap number, not his actual salary. Either way I think you're right.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #784
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Not playoff related, but Nashville gives Martin Erat $4.5 per over 7 years!

That's a lot of money for Martin Erat.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #785
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yeah, I don't see anyway the Penguins can keep Hossa. By all accounts Malkin is going to want as much as he possibly can get. Given his performance this year, he will have earned it.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #786
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's a lot of money for Martin Erat.

Shhh keep quiet. That is the Flyers farm team. In the past year and a half Nashville has sent over Scott Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen, Ryan Parent, and Scottie Upshall. All for about 20 games worth of Forsberg.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #787
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Shhh keep quiet. That is the Flyers farm team. In the past year and a half Nashville has sent over Scott Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen, Ryan Parent, and Scottie Upshall. All for about 20 games worth of Forsberg.

And the rights to their first round pick for about 50 days
Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #788
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And the rights to their first round pick for about 50 days

Right that's how they got Hartnell and Timonen, they traded Nashville back their first rounder.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #789
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

right, didn't want to short change you
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #790
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

They're likely to remain a "farm team" if they keep giving up guys like Hartnell and Timonen, while giving Martin Eart $31.5 million over 7 years.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #791
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think Perry will get a shade under what Getzlaf got. Reports I have heard locally say Perry isn't quite as "jump at the money" as Penner was last year, is best friends with Getzlaf and likes SoCal. So he'll probably wait for the Ducks' offer before he starts to listen to other teams.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #792
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Is Marian Hossa no longer a playoff bust?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #793
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

No that award is solely held by Vaclav Prospal.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #794
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
No that award is solely held by Vaclav Prospal.

Or Daniel Briere. Although he's not a playoff bust, just an ECF bust.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #795
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Briere did well the first two rounds, and has disappeared this round. I attribute some of it to Prospal who shits his pants before each games and is too scared to go in the corners to set up Briere.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #796
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Briere did well the first two rounds, and has disappeared this round. I attribute some of it to Prospal who shits his pants before each games and is too scared to go in the corners to set up Briere.

He saw what Ryan Whitney did to Wade Redden.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #797
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think it had more to do with the scary beard that Crosby is growing. Why isn't Geno growing one? Or can't he?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #798
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Wings fans, is there any room on the bandwagon for another fan for say about two weeks?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #799
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Hey Wings fans, is there any room on the bandwagon for another fan for say about two weeks?

We've always got plenty of room to spare. In fact, it's been downright spacious in here ever since all those Detroit area "rednecks" bailed on us.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #800
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Pens!