Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #7801
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm almost positive I'm going to the Ga Tech game. Only question is whether it is a father/son trip or the whole family.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #7802
digamma
Torchbearer

Some unconfirmed reports that the ACC will reshuffle divisions, with the main thrust being Louisville coming into what is now the Coastal and Geogia Tech moving over to what is now the Atlantic.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #7803
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Some unconfirmed reports that ...

Redundant to point out in this thread IMO
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #7804
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Apparently ESPN (maybe Heather Dinich specifically) thought enough of it to check it out. Their Twitter feed ESPN_ACC mentioned contacting the league office about it and got a reply that it wasn't true.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #7805
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

LOL......someone's still a bit bitter about Mizzou leaving the Big 12.

Quote:
"Our bad years are not that bad. Take a school like Mizzou. Our bad years are better than their good years."

-Deloss Dodds, Feb. 11th, 2013

But I hear UT isn't obsessed about Mizzou, so that's good. I hear he usually brings up Mizzou in articles where he's being attacked by a reporter over the state of his program.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #7806
britrock88
Pro Starter

UMKC leaves the Summit for the WAC.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #7807
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

I guess they figure it helps WAC keep auto-bid and differentiation to boot. TLDR: Easier path to a bid.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #7808
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

Fantastic news for UMKC. Should really help the draw. They play in Municipal Auditorium here in KC, which still holds the record for most NCAA basketball championship games hosted. Love to see more good basketball down there.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #7809
Kodos
Resident Alien

OSU AD Smith: 'Strong likelihood' of sharing division with Michigan - CBSSports.com
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #7810
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

'Inside Maryland Sports' saying mutual interest between UNC and SEC. Also said that FSU remains a likely B12 target when next round of moves begins.

Quote:
Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports

The #SEC also remains a viable option for #UNC. Legit mutual interest, per multiple sources. Heels a crown jewel of the realignment picture.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #7811
Kodos
Resident Alien

Huh. I saw an article the other day saying UNC had an offer from the Big Ten.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #7812
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here it is:

Maryland 247 site reporting North Carolina has Big Ten offer, Virginia on deck? - Land-Grant Holy Land
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #7813
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Big 10 makes more sense to me than SEC. But, of course, what makes sense is rarely a consideration with these conference moves.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #7814
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It's the same source that I cited. Inside Maryland Sports is also Maryland 24/7. The two conferences are courting the same teams. Just waiting to see which one wins out.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-21-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #7815
Kodos
Resident Alien

At this point, I think the best I can hope for is a Big 20, with one division made up of established Big 10 teams, and the other all the newer, eastern schools.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #7816
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
At this point, I think the best I can hope for is a Big 20, with one division made up of established Big 10 teams, and the other all the newer, eastern schools.

What would the divisions be called at that point?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #7817
Kodos
Resident Alien

East and West. West would be the traditional Big Ten teams. But anything would be better than what we currently have as far as names are concerned. It'd basically be the traditional Big 10 in one division, and the best of the Big East/ACC in the new division.

I'd like to see us bring in Kansas too.

So, one division:
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Illinois
Minnesota
Purdue
Northwestern
Iowa

Other division:
All the rest

Last edited by Kodos : 02-21-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #7818
Kodos
Resident Alien

What would UNC, Virginia and Georgia Tech bring to the Big Ten? - Land-Grant Holy Land
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #7819
Radii
Head Coach

Man i think within 3 or 4 years I will end up not following college sports at all. This is so depressing.
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #7820
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Man i think within 3 or 4 years I will end up not following college sports at all. This is so depressing.

You mean you aren't excited by the idea of getting annual doses of those soon-to-be-classic UNC v. Arkansas or UNC v. Iowa battles?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #7821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd rather see GT join the SoCon than the B10. Maybe even the Atlantic Sun.

Talk about a zero interest situation for me, this would be it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #7822
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, this stuff isn't fan driven.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #7823
Swaggs
Coordinator

You guys are getting an idea on what it has been like to be a (former) Big East fan the past 10-12 years.

It will be interesting to see if the "bigger is better" model holds up over time (if it comes to fruition).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #7824
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Hypothetical question - if UNC leaves, does it make sense for Duke (and maybe Wake Forest) to drop football to FCS and join the C7? What if FSU/Clemson/VT/NC State also leave for the Big12 or SEC?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #7825
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Hypothetical question - if UNC leaves, does it make sense for Duke (and maybe Wake Forest) to drop football to FCS and join the C7? What if FSU/Clemson/VT/NC State also leave for the Big12 or SEC?

I've thought it made sense for Duke, GT, and Wake (as well as Vandy) to all drop football to I-AA for years.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #7826
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Why would they do that?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #7827
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
You mean you aren't excited by the idea of getting annual doses of those soon-to-be-classic UNC v. Arkansas or UNC v. Iowa battles?

I know in part I'm just being an old man who hates change here, but I have yet to find a way to care about UNC vs Boston College or UNC vs Virginia Tech. Adding Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame and losing Maryland may end up being the last straw for me even if UNC doesn't move. I've never liked bigger conferences either. 12 schools is too many for a basketball conference, 16 is just ridiculous. So far this year I've watched 6 of their 26 games, even in the Matt Doherty years I would have watched 20 games by now. Ah well, curmudgeon out!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #7828
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Why would they do that?
Duke is one of the few schools that makes more money off basketball than football (or if they aren't now, would be once the ACC football deals shrink considerably with FSU/Clemson/VT/etc departures). Under that scenario, a cobbled together ACC, even if it added UConn and Cincinnati, would be about equal at basketball to a C7+ with Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Butler, Xavier, St. Louis, etc. Plus they seem to have more in common with the northeast schools than the teams that would be left in the ACC (Miami?, UVa, GT, WF, BC, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, UConn?, Cincy?, ND?)

Just wondering at what point they would cut the cord with no local schools around other than WF (who could go with them) and UVa.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #7829
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
would be about equal at basketball to a C7+ with Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Butler, Xavier, St. Louis, etc.

This number is going to be awfully low.

Anyway, nobody of any significance has, or will be leaving the ACC, so it doesn't matter.

Oklahoma to the Big10 is the next big move.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #7830
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think you will be proven wrong, sir.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #7831
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Anyway, nobody of any significance has, or will be leaving the ACC, so it doesn't matter.

I know you're looking at this from a different angle, but, the ACC was founded 60 years ago by seven schools, and during that first year added an 8th. One of them (South Carolina) left in 1971. A second is leaving in the next year or two. Its a significant thing.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #7832
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think you will be proven wrong, sir.

Of course it is possible, anything is, but much less likely than the crazy theories that are thrown around here all the time.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #7833
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know you're looking at this from a different angle, but, the ACC was founded 60 years ago by seven schools, and during that first year added an 8th. One of them (South Carolina) left in 1971. A second is leaving in the next year or two. Its a significant thing.

I understand what you are saying, but is anybody really going to miss Maryland? And didn't the ACC end up in a better spot overall with (Louisville + ND baskeball) - Maryland?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #7834
tarcone
Coordinator

I thought the B1G made it clear it was going East. I dont think any more Midwest schools are getting in. But that is speculation. UCLA could be next for all I know.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #7835
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oklahoma to the Big10 is the next big move.
I doubt it. The B1G will continue to pursue AAU Universities. Money is king, but so long as they can find AAU schools that will improve their market footprint, they will prioritize those over schools with perceived lesser academic reputations.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #7836
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but is anybody really going to miss Maryland? And didn't the ACC end up in a better spot overall with (Louisville + ND baskeball) - Maryland?

From a fan perspective, i don't think any conference has ended up in a better place. Not a single one.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #7837
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I doubt it. The B1G will continue to pursue AAU Universities. Money is king, but so long as they can find AAU schools that will improve their market footprint, they will prioritize those over schools with perceived lesser academic reputations.

Nebraska loses AAU status - Big Ten Blog - ESPN
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #7838
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
And you'll note that Nebraska lost that status after they had already been admitted to the B1G.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #7839
digamma
Torchbearer

Don't know if anyone has noticed but Missouri hasn't lost a hoops or football game in the B1G this year.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #7840
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
And you'll note that Nebraska lost that status after they had already been admitted to the B1G.

Actually before they were admitted but after they were accepted. Either way, it was a pretty embarrassing situation for the B10.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #7841
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Actually before they were admitted but after they were accepted. Either way, it was a pretty embarrassing situation for the B10.
Somewhat embarrassing. But accepting a school that was at the time a member of the AAU and had been for over a century is still a big difference from considering a school that has never been a member of the AAU and is not a likely candidate to become a member anytime soon.

My point still stands that AAU membership matters to the B1G, and they'll continue to prioritize expansion that looks at AAU members (excepting of course Notre Dame) over those that aren't.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #7842
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course it is possible, anything is, but much less likely than the crazy theories that are thrown around here all the time.
I don't see how UNC or UVA (either with each other, or with a GT/Duke) to the B1G is crazy. There's a decent sized hurdle in each case (The B1G doesn't think UVA brings a big enough media market, UNC will be very reluctant to leave Duke behind), but they're the most logical moves on the board.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #7843
tarcone
Coordinator

Nebraska was brought in because of their culture. They are a Midwest school. They were what the B1G was looking for in a 12th member. And they were the anti-PsU, so to speak.
Maryland and Rutgers were a brought in because of their AAU status, East coast footprint and a nod to the academics (academia?) for allowing the conference to bring in Nebraska.
The B1G wasnt going to let Nebraska go anywhere else. That school is as Midwest as it gets.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 02-22-2013 at 09:54 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #7844
britrock88
Pro Starter

UNC will probably be ready to leave Duke behind as soon as Krzyzewski retires, though Lord knows when that will be.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #7845
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

West Virginia discovers it is a pain in the ass to send your volleyball team to Iowa one week and Texas the next. Who knew?

Big 12 agrees to look at WVU's travel problems - The Exponent Telegram : Sports

Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #7846
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really interesting interview with Kevin Harlan this morning on local radio. He was at a gathering with some B10 officials yesterday. Said that two officials told him very similar things.

-Said that B10 is definitely going to 16 teams and is considering 18 or 20 teams.
-Said that Texas is actively courting the B10 and is looking to find a way out of the Longhorn Network mess by merging it with a conference network. Also, ESPN would likely not block any move like that because they are losing millions each year on the deal due to the block of HS sports.
-B10 still believes that KU cannot join the B10 without KSU coming along. Could be a deal breaker if that doesn't change.
-B10 is still interested in bringing Mizzou into the conference. They believe that Mizzou would move if other former Big 8 teams were brought into the conference.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #7847
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ouch.

Big East Conference, ESPN agree to TV rights deal - ESPN
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #7848
molson
General Manager

Quote:
West Virginia discovers it is a pain in the ass to send your volleyball team to Iowa one week and Texas the next. Who knew?

Big 12 agrees to look at WVU's travel problems - The Exponent Telegram : Sports

It makes too much sense for college football and basketball to become separate semi-pro leagues, and then for all other sports to engage in regional collegiate athletics.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #7849
Kodos
Resident Alien

Would love to see UConn in the Big Ten because I could easily catch some IU games.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #7850
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It makes too much sense for college football and basketball to become separate semi-pro leagues, and then for all other sports to engage in regional collegiate athletics.

+1
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote