Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #7751
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
While Obama promised a million things he won't deliver, I don't remember gay-rights being a huge part of that. Isn't he against gay marriage (at least by the time he started running for president?)

Obama's 'don't ask, don't tell' pledge questioned - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Obama called on Congress to repeal the Defense Of Marriage Act, which limits how state, local and federal bodies can recognize partnerships and determine benefits. He called for a law to extend benefits to domestic partners.

He expressed strong support for the HRC agenda of ending discrimination against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people but stopped short of laying out a detailed plan for how to get there.

"My expectation is that when you look back on these years, you will look back and see a time when we put a stop against discrimination ... whether in the office or the battlefield," Obama said.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #7752
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Don't ask, don't tell never made much sense to me anyways. Wouldn't the military industrial complex want as many people as possible to continue to police the world and fight their endless war in the Middle East?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #7753
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Don't ask, don't tell never made much sense to me anyways. Wouldn't the military industrial complex want as many people as possible to continue to police the world and fight their endless war in the Middle East?

this is true. i guess their thinking is that gays aren't people.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #7754
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

And would the moral right be more excited if:

-A gay person shot a terrorist
-A terrorist shot a gay person

??????
Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #7755
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But it makes bigots and closeted gays angry.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #7756
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
this is true. i guess their thinking is that gays aren't people.

As a subset of liberalism would be the only reason anybody would think that!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #7757
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
And would the moral right be more excited if:

-A gay person shot a terrorist
-A terrorist shot a gay person

??????

is the Gay person a doctor that would be willing to perform legal abortions?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #7758
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I thought it was a good speech, but he's given good speeches before. It's time for some leadership. I voted for him because I thought he'd be a pragmatist and reach out to both sides. It's time for him to start doing that.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #7759
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But political reality stands in the way. I think he can get DADT ended because Congress is going to hear from a lot of military leaders that the end won't effect combat readiness. He'll also be able to pull in some Republicans, maybe even Ted Olsen, to help bolster the argument. I think, but I'm not certain, that there's enough pressure there to get to sixty in the Senate. (Because the GOP will undoubtedly filibuster)

In my opinion, they should worry about the filibuster less. As long as the initiative that's proposed has some broad support, send it through. If the GOP wants to filibuster it, use that against them come election time (both on the issue in question and the "GOP are do-nothing obstructionists" line). After all, those who support the GOP's filibuster on this and similar issues aren't going to vote Democrat anyway, and at least you give the base something for which to cheer.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #7760
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
In my opinion, they should worry about the filibuster less. As long as the initiative that's proposed has some broad support, send it through. If the GOP wants to filibuster it, use that against them come election time (both on the issue in question and the "GOP are do-nothing obstructionists" line). After all, those who support the GOP's filibuster on this and similar issues aren't going to vote Democrat anyway, and at least you give the base something for which to cheer.

On gay marriage I disagree. I think there are a lot of people that might favor the Dems on economic issues, but if the election is about gay marriage they'll stay home or vote GOP. Now if Congress could pass it, I wouldn't care. I'd say do it and stand on the historic achievement as history will treat you kindly. But, since it won't pass and will take the focus off of everything else that might be able to get done, I think it's foolish to go down that path.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #7761
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I thought it was a good speech, but he's given good speeches before. It's time for some leadership. I voted for him because I thought he'd be a pragmatist and reach out to both sides. It's time for him to start doing that.

How could you look at his voting record and believe that was going to happen?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #7762
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
So the White House has announced a three-year freeze on discretionary spending.

I'm disappointed in what looks to be a panicky gimmick--the sort of stunt that John McCain pulled when he canceled the campaign and rushed to Washington to save the economy. I know that Obama is trying to reassure people, but by so suddenly distancing himself from the Keynesian approach of his first year, he risks an even more massive erosion of people's confidence in his White House.

I don't think you have a lot to worry about. Just from today... (but whats $2,280,000,000+?, a supreme court justice shook his head no to part of Obama's speech!!!! )

White House doles out $8 billion for fast trains - Yahoo! News

Senate permits gov't to borrow an additional $1.9T - Yahoo! News

FOXNews.com - Pelosi Pushes $300 Billion 'Fix' to Senate Health Care Bill

FOXNews.com - White House Rejects Pelosi's Push to Freeze Defense Spending
Old 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #7763
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
In my opinion, they should worry about the filibuster less.

For god's sake yes.

The Civil Rights Acts were filibustered the crap out of. It delayed passage a couple days, but we still talk about the filibustering and who did it. If your bill works, which I assume they believe it will, the filibusters will look like morons.

Unless the fear is just that the whole thing fails, and they don't want to be solely responsible.

Last edited by molson : 01-28-2010 at 02:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #7764
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's a hell of a difference between civil rights and healthcare or jobs. But even if you want to look at them as equal, the filibuster rules have changed. After civil rights both parties agreed that filibusters are too disruptive and made it so that what we think of as a filibuster doesn't really exist. On side can declare a filibuster and never have to stand in front of the public to "look like morons". It's all done behind the scenes now.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't push forward on what they believe in, they certainly should, but unless two-thirds of the senate agrees to change the rules they have to worry about the filibuster.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #7765
larrymcg421
Head Coach

To me, that's the biggest problem. This "gentleman's agreement" filibuster nonsense is crap. For a filibuster, you should have to sit there 24/7. Any time someone gives up and leaves and you no longer have enough people to sustain the filibuster, then it is over. That means giving up free time. Giving up sleep. Giving up time with your family. That would ensure it is only used at important times.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #7766
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
To me, that's the biggest problem. This "gentleman's agreement" filibuster nonsense is crap. For a filibuster, you should have to sit there 24/7. Any time someone gives up and leaves and you no longer have enough people to sustain the filibuster, then it is over. That means giving up free time. Giving up sleep. Giving up time with your family. That would ensure it is only used at important times.

yup!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #7767
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

My fingers are having trouble typing these words, but I agree with Larry and DT.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #7768
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
My fingers are having trouble typing these words, but I agree with Larry and DT.

hehe
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #7769
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I agree. I'd be fine with the filibuster if there was a cost for using it. As long as it's pain free it's hard see any downside for using it as the GOP is doing.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #7770
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

I haven't searched a lot for this answer, but why would every member of the GOP delegation in the Senate vote against pay as you go rules?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #7771
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

I haven't searched a lot for this answer, but why would every member of the GOP delegation in the Senate vote against pay as you go rules?

because they're voting against everything. they've adopted a nihilistic stand...i can't imagine it will play well come voting-time.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #7772
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I disagree. When they were the majority party in the Senate the GOP made a lot of hay lambasting Democrats for not allowing "up-or-down votes", either in the context of threatened filibusters, or stuff getting held up in committees. The public didn't need to understand the mechanics of the obstruction, they just had to know that one party wasn't letting the "group of elected representatives" just "do their job". It's a simple message.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #7773
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But does he do it at the risk of losing any hope of having enough votes to pass anything else the rest of his term?

This was the key point of his speech on the AJC web edition overnight & this morning, a nod I believe to the reality that, barring something huge in either direction on national security or the economy, it will be the galvanizing issue in a number of districts. Yes Jim Marshall (D-GA8) I'm looking at you, and even John Barrow (D-GA12) has to think long & hard about what to do if he wants to return to DC.

It almost seems like a go for broke move by Obama.

Yes, we all know in the South you get elected by beating blacks and gays, not helping them!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #7774
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Yes, we all know in the South you get elected by beating blacks and gays, not helping them!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #7775
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some good news on the economic front. I'm sure everyone and their dead grandmother will take credit for it.

Economy soars 5.7 percent, fastest in 6 years - Yahoo! Finance
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #7776
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some good news on the economic front. I'm sure everyone and their dead grandmother will take credit for it.

Economy soars 5.7 percent, fastest in 6 years - Yahoo! Finance

so what - now he's supposed to take the blame but not the credit? you're insane. it's laughable.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-29-2010 at 09:29 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #7777
molson
General Manager

(non-economist disclaimer) That's a nice number and good news, but I don't think we can declare a verdict on the stimulus package until we see if we can maintain solid growth without depending on it. I mean, the economy is definitely going to grow if you artifically put $800 billion into it, right? That's a no-brainer. Just like I can have a lot of nice stuff in my house if I go nuts on credit cards for a few months.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #7778
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
so what - now he's supposed to take the blame but not the credit? you're insane. it's laughable.

I think the part that cracks me up is the idea that people are going to look at these numbers and things this will lead to long term success and then parlay that into spending more. People just aren't appreciating the long term problems all of this is going to present because all anybody cares about is the present.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #7779
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think the part that cracks me up is the idea that people are going to look at these numbers and things this will lead to long term success and then parlay that into spending more. People just aren't appreciating the long term problems all of this is going to present because all anybody cares about is the present.

Consumer and business spending are what drive the growth of the economy. If there is no more spending, there is no more growth. If spending stops, the economy crashes.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-29-2010 at 09:49 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #7780
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Yes, we all know in the South you at least stand a chance to get elected by refusing to legitimize the morally indefensible

Fixed your bullshit post for you.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #7781
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I was talking about both sides of the aisle. There's plenty of spin to be portrayed all around. And I'm annoyed that we'll have to hear it all weekend.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #7782
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Homosexuality is morally indefensible? According to YOUR morals maybe, but then again we're (very deliberately) not a country with a national religion or any other body to promulgate a national "Code of Morals."

And therein lies the problem. The "Bible-thumping" brigade (for lack of a better term, yes i recognize it's a gross generalization) would like for this to be a non-secular nation where we all agree to live by Christian values or GTFO - call it a "fundamentalist Christian state," but unfortunately this country was founded on religious freedom and toleration not bigotry and intolerance and forcing one's views on another.

If you want a fundamentalist Christian nation...GTFO yourself and go found one somewhere.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #7783
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Consumer and business spending are what drive the growth of the economy. If there is no more spending, there is no more growth. If spending stops, the economy crashes.

Forget Obama and the contrived war between the GOP and the Democrats. (Anyone without a huge partisan chip knows they are both full of shit) Let's just take your last statement and rationally discuss it. Is there ever a situation when a huge debt and deficit is not good? When do you stop spending? I know people who were talking about the debt in the 70's were told... let's get out of this crisis and worry about the debt later. In the 80's, same thing. Clinton actually took action. The came Bush and now Obama with the let's get out of this crisis and worry about spending later. Doesn't anyone ever wonder why these crisis’s keep happening? I hate to burst your bubble (pun intended) but this isn't all the ills of capitalism. These same problems happen in socialist and communist countries where the spending gets completely out of control. I don't put it all on Obama, hell a lot of the blame goes to W Bush, but something has to change soon or we are all fucked. And sorry continually spending is not the solution that I was looking for.

The war on poverty is in year 46. The war on drugs is in year 40. The war on terror is in year 9. The crisis of the economy is year 3. These are problems that are just made worse by the government spending shitloads of money (both Democrats and Republicans). Maybe it’s time to admit that government can’t solve some of these problems. (if you think we are solving the current economic problem by creating artificial growth in the stock market than explain it is so hard to find a job. This bubble will burst soon and maybe this time we will actually try a different approach. Fiscal responsibility? We would need a new political party though to take this serious, the Democrats and Republicans know nothing about this)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #7784
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Forget Obama and the contrived war between the GOP and the Democrats. (Anyone without a huge partisan chip knows they are both full of shit) Let's just take your last statement and rationally discuss it. Is there ever a situation when a huge debt and deficit is not good? When do you stop spending? I know people who were talking about the debt in the 70's were told... let's get out of this crisis and worry about the debt later. In the 80's, same thing. Clinton actually took action. The came Bush and now Obama with the let's get out of this crisis and worry about spending later. Doesn't anyone ever wonder why these crisis’s keep happening? I hate to burst your bubble (pun intended) but this isn't all the ills of capitalism. These same problems happen in socialist and communist countries where the spending gets completely out of control. I don't put it all on Obama, hell a lot of the blame goes to W Bush, but something has to change soon or we are all fucked. And sorry continually spending is not the solution that I was looking for.

The war on poverty is in year 46. The war on drugs is in year 40. The war on terror is in year 9. The crisis of the economy is year 3. These are problems that are just made worse by the government spending shitloads of money (both Democrats and Republicans). Maybe it’s time to admit that government can’t solve some of these problems. (if you think we are solving the current economic problem by creating artificial growth in the stock market than explain it is so hard to find a job. This bubble will burst soon and maybe this time we will actually try a different approach. Fiscal responsibility? We would need a new political party though to take this serious, the Democrats and Republicans know nothing about this)

You missed the part where I only mentioned consumer and business spending. If those two groups stop spending, then the only other source of spending for the economy is the government.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-29-2010 at 10:23 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #7785
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How dare they be born with a darker skin color or attraction to the same gender.

Isn't it blasphemy to call your own God morally indefensible?

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #7786
molson
General Manager

Quote:

If you want a fundamentalist Christian nation...GTFO yourself and go found one somewhere.

I think they tried that once. We didn't let them.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #7787
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Our mistake. We should have IMO.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #7788
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I'm still waiting for all the Hollywood stars to move overseas. You'd think they would have moved by now. That's 6 years ago.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #7789
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Well running a country based on religion is working out well in the Middle East.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #7790
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Well running a country based on religion is working out well in the Middle East.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #7791
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hot damn, we agree on something. Would have left us both happier.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #7792
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
GTFO yourself and go found one somewhere.

I'm not real big on surrendering a just cause, I'd prefer to die fighting for it.

And at the rate the country has been regressing, I may live long enough to get a good chance to do that.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #7793
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Basically would be like moving the Mexican border up a couple thousand miles. Not something you necessarily want.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-29-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #7794
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not real big on surrendering a just cause, I'd prefer to die fighting for it.

And at the rate the country has been regressing, I may live long enough to get a good chance to do that.

So you believe that the legalization of gay marriage is a bad thing (and I'm assuming you're not a fan of any homosexual relationships at all). What do you see as a worst-case scenario if it were legalized nationally? Or is it more a general concern regarding a moral compass of the country?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #7795
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you believe that the legalization of gay marriage is a bad thing (and I'm assuming you're not a fan of any homosexual relationships at all). What do you see as a worst-case scenario if it were legalized nationally? Or is it more a general concern regarding a moral compass of the country?
Obviously the gays would infiltrate our homes and next thing we know we'll all be homosexuals.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #7796
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Basically would be like moving the Mexican border up a couple thousand miles. Not something you necessarily want.

But the actual Mexican border would be down South...they'd have to deal with them all. Might make our lives easier.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #7797
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hot damn, we agree on something. Would have left us both happier.

We've agreed on that before, remember?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #7798
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure exactly why you're inviting a Jon-screed that will just get everyone up in arms. This episode is a repeat.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #7799
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Homosexuality is morally indefensible? According to YOUR morals maybe, but then again we're (very deliberately) not a country with a national religion or any other body to promulgate a national "Code of Morals."

And therein lies the problem. The "Bible-thumping" brigade (for lack of a better term, yes i recognize it's a gross generalization) would like for this to be a non-secular nation where we all agree to live by Christian values or GTFO - call it a "fundamentalist Christian state," but unfortunately this country was founded on religious freedom and toleration not bigotry and intolerance and forcing one's views on another.

Accept our tolerance or GTFO!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #7800
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

LMAO at you calling it a "just cause"