Old 04-26-2023, 07:37 AM   #7701
Edward64
Head Coach

Biden's report card. See link for rationale & details

Here's where Biden's 2020 campaign promises currently stand - POLITICO
Quote:
1. Combatting Covid-19
GRADE: KEPT HIS PROMISE

What Biden pledged: “When I’m elected your president, I’m going to act, and I’m going to act on day one. Folks, we’re going to act to get this Covid under control. … I’m never going to raise the white flag and surrender. We’re going to beat this virus. We’re going to get it under control, I promise you.”
Agree

Quote:
2. Rebuilding the economy

What Biden pledged: “We’re going to invest in infrastructure, clean energy and manufacturing, and so much more. We’ll create millions of good paying American jobs and get the job market back in the path to full employment.”
I guess he actually did accomplish all in the quote above. But the economy is obviously still shaky so using the Politico scale, I'd called this In Progress vs Kept His Promise.

Quote:
3. Ending gun violence
GRADE: STALLED

What Biden pledged: “No one needs an AR-15. … I promise you, I will get these weapons of war off the street again and out of our communities.”
Okay with this but I could also go with Broke His Promise.

Quote:
4. Restoring U.S. leadership abroad

What Biden pledged: “As president, I will ensure that democracy is once again the watchword of U.S. foreign policy, not to launch some moral crusade, but because it’s in our enlightened self-interest. We have to restore our ability to rally the free world so we can once more make a stand upon new fields of action together to face new challenges.”
Agree

Quote:
5. Strengthening voting rights

What Biden pledged: “One thing the Senate and the president can do right away is pass the bill to restore the Voting Rights Act. … If they don’t, I’ve been saying all along, it’s one of the first things I’ll do as president if elected. We can’t let the fundamental right to vote be denied.”
Agree

Quote:
6. Protecting access to abortion
GRADE: IN PROGRESS

What Biden pledged: “We’re in a situation where I would codify Roe v. Wade as defined by Casey. It should be the law, and there’s no reason why, if the Supreme Court makes the judgment that everybody’s worried about with these appeals going to the Supreme Court, that in exchange, I would codify Roe v. Wade and Casey.”
Agree but it's on the precipice of Broke His Promise.

Has there been any movement to codify Roe v. Wade?

Quote:
7. Expanding health care

What Biden pledged: “I’ll not only restore Obamacare, I’ll build on it. … I’m going to increase subsidies to lower your premiums, deductibles, out-of-pocket expenses, out-of-pocket spending, surprise billing. I’m going to lower prescription drugs by 60 percent, and that’s the truth.”
Agree

Quote:
8. Overhauling immigration policies
GRADE: BROKE HIS PROMISE

What Biden pledged: “We’re going to restore our moral standing in the world and our historic role as a safe haven for refugees and asylum seekers, and those fleeing violence and persecution.”
Agree.

Things change when you become POTUS. Start the discussions now and hopefully a 2nd term priority.

Quote:
9. Tackling climate change

What Biden pledged: “My time table for results is my first four years as president, the jobs that we’ll create, the investments we’ll make, and the irreversible steps we’ll take to mitigate and adapt to the climate change and put our nation on the road to net zero emissions no later than 2050.”
Agree, think IRA was pretty good but could also go with In Progress.

Quote:
10. Expanding child and elder care access

What Biden pledged: “My childcare plan is straightforward, straightforward. Every 3- and 4-year-old child will get access to free high quality preschool like students have here. And low- and middle-income families won’t spend more than 7 percent of their income on childcare for children under the age of five.”
Agree but not for lack of trying. Early casualty of the IRA compromise.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-26-2023 at 07:38 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:34 PM   #7702
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like McCarthy will get enough support for this GOP Debt bill with a floor vote today or very soon.

Now the negotiations (and/or playing chicken) starts.

I had read earlier that July'ish was the deadline. But now possibly "early June" because tax receipts were less than expected. Fun times ahead.

Chances that US could default on its debt in early June grow amid weak tax collections | CNN Politics
Quote:
It’s growing more likely that the US could default on its debt as soon as early June if Congress doesn’t act, according to a trio of new analyses.

That’s because tax receipts are running much weaker than expected so far this season. The Treasury Department is counting on that infusion of funds, along with several “extraordinary measures,” to continue paying the federal government’s bills in full and on time until lawmakers raise or suspend the debt ceiling.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-26-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:49 PM   #7703
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I never liked that the Dem house drafted bills in secret and then just had a vote.

The GOP constantly (and correctly) complained about that and promised to do better.

They, unsurprisingly, lied.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:58 PM   #7704
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Will be interesting to see how it plays out in the Senate. With Feinstein MIA, it comes down to Manchin and Sinema again.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:54 PM   #7705
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Well it's not going well.....
Old 04-27-2023, 05:42 PM   #7706
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice! Not good singing but what a performance (check out the video).

I'm guessing from karaoke in his younger years.

South Korean president woos White House with ‘American Pie’ rendition - POLITICO
Quote:
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol brought the White House down with his surprise rendition of Don McLean’s “American Pie” Wednesday night.
:
“Long, long time ago,” he sang, immediately drawing shouts, applause and fist pumps from President Joe Biden. Despite asking Yoon to perform the song moments before, Biden looked around the room in apparent disbelief, pointing to the South Korean leader in approval.

“I had no damn idea you could sing,” Biden said afterwards.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:17 PM   #7707
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Karaoke is hugely popular in parts of Asia
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #7708
Edward64
Head Coach

Hope he wasn't joking, I'm sure the offer will be accepted. It would be fun to see this happen.

Don McLean offers duet with South Korean president who sang 'American Pie' to Biden | CNN
Quote:
The legendary singer later told CNN that he had big plans for the South Korean leader.

“I intend to go over to South Korea next year and sing it with the president, so that’s probably going to be another news story,” McLean joked on Thursday. “He wanted me at the White House to sing the song, but I’m in Australia right now on tour.”
I've not heard of it as alchemy before but his description is apt.

Quote:
“I get a kick out of the fact that the song is still alive,” he added. “Musicians are dealing with a thing called alchemy, we deal in magic, and some of the things that we do fall on their face, and others if we’re very fortunate are magical and live forever.”
Old 04-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #7709
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Since WWII, only 3 sitting VPs have run for POTUS following a 2-term President: Nixon, HW Bush, and Gore.

All three of Nixon, HW Bush, and Gore benefited from their predecessors' administrations polling in the high-50s/low-60s for approval rating at around the start of the primary season, but still, one win, two losses.

So, there's not a lot of precedent for Harris for us to go on. In addition, all three of the above had run national campaigns before and had political careers far more extensive than Harris' when they came to the VPOTUS role.

It's of course different if Biden dies and Harris runs as the incumbent in 2028, but that's effectively what happened in 1976 and although there was a temporary setback for the GOP, they then held the Oval Office for 3 terms.

There's just a ton of variables in play.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:45 PM   #7710
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Since WWII, only 3 sitting VPs have run for POTUS following a 2-term President: Nixon, HW Bush, and Gore.

All three of Nixon, HW Bush, and Gore benefited from their predecessors' administrations polling in the high-50s/low-60s for approval rating at around the start of the primary season, but still, one win, two losses.

So, there's not a lot of precedent for Harris for us to go on. In addition, all three of the above had run national campaigns before and had political careers far more extensive than Harris' when they came to the VPOTUS role.

It's of course different if Biden dies and Harris runs as the incumbent in 2028, but that's effectively what happened in 1976 and although there was a temporary setback for the GOP, they then held the Oval Office for 3 terms.

There's just a ton of variables in play.
All three won the nomination, though. Of course Harris might not, but the party apparatus is definitely going to be hers from the jump. And if she is already President, it is a particle guarantee she has the nomination.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 03:06 PM   #7711
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, I dunno. Ford barely held onto the nomination in '76. Granted, many argue that Reagan hurt Ford's chances in the general which may serve as a warning, but I don't know that it's a lock, especially if such a term didn't go smoothly.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #7712
Edward64
Head Coach

On the SCOTUS leaker, will they name a name(s) or say "... came from office of"?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a justice; or a staffer who did it without knowledge of the justice; or a staffer that did it with a justice's blessing but who has enough plausible deniability.

Justice Alito says he has 'pretty good idea' who was behind leak of draft abortion opinion | CNN Politics
Quote:
Justice Samuel Alito said that he has a “pretty good idea” who was responsible for the unprecedented disclosure of a draft opinion of a Supreme Court ruling last year, suggesting it was someone who opposed reversing the Roe v. Wade precedent that protected abortion rights nationwide.

In an interview published Friday by The Wall Street Journal in its opinion section, Alito dismissed the idea that the draft was leaked by one of the five conservative justices who were in the majority of the ruling.

“That’s infuriating to me,” Alito said of the speculation. “Look, this made us targets of assassination. Would I do that to myself? Would the five of us have done that to ourselves? It’s quite implausible.”

He acknowledged in the interview, which took place in mid-April, that he didn’t have the level of proof about who was behind the leak that would make it appropriate to name the person he thinks was responsible. The final opinion overturning Roe in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization largely tracked with the draft.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:48 AM   #7713
Flasch186
Coordinator

The Biden Presidency - 2020

So he’s worried that someone in the general public might try to assassinate one of them based on their ideological view? Hmmmm where have I heard that before that some extremist might cause violence against someone that is made the target of words?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 04-29-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:51 AM   #7714
HerRealName
College Prospect

It obviously came on Alito or Thomas' side. They'll never announce that.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:59 AM   #7715
Edward64
Head Coach

There's a SS Fairness Act that seems to have bipartisanship support. Doesn't address the broader issue and may well make it more complicated.

But it does address an issue my wife has.

She has a complicated SS situation. She's had SS taken out as a regular employee, she's had SS taken out as a teacher, she's had SS not taken out as a teacher (different county), she is eligible for 50% of my SS via spousal benefit, she's worked enough quarters to get SS on her own, and she has her own teacher TRS pension.

With current laws, there is an offset/proration where she won't get her full SS and full pension. Simple example is 1+1 = 1.5. I think the proposed legislation below will resolve that and make it 1+1 = 2.

I read somewhere its like $80B over 10 years. TBH I am unsure this is a good bill or just pork.

Collins, Brown Introduce Bipartisan Bill... | U.S. Senator Susan Collins
Quote:
U.S. Senators Susan Collins (R-ME) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) led a group of colleagues in introducing legislation that would ensure public sector workers and their families can receive full Social Security benefits after two previous statutes reduced them. The Social Security Fairness Act would repeal the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and the Government Pension Offset (GPO) from the Social Security Act.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #7716
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

SCOTUS agrees to take a case on Chevron deference and Justice Jackson recuses herself. That's the end of the regulatory apparatus.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #7717
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
SCOTUS agrees to take a case on Chevron deference and Justice Jackson recuses herself. That's the end of the regulatory apparatus.

This will be one of those rulings talked about in history books, if we still have them. Actually, they'll be corporate textbooks because the government won't be able to regulate anything unless Congress explicitly says it. Because, you know, if the government created an agency to regulate, say, education, they can't make specific rules about it -only enforce the ones that Congress explicitly states. Sigh. This is somewhat under the radar but is going to be awful.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:54 AM   #7718
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This will be one of those rulings talked about in history books, if we still have them. Actually, they'll be corporate textbooks because the government won't be able to regulate anything unless Congress explicitly says it. Because, you know, if the government created an agency to regulate, say, education, they can't make specific rules about it -only enforce the ones that Congress explicitly states. Sigh. This is somewhat under the radar but is going to be awful.

SI

Why did she recuse herself when no one else is going to ever again... One party plays by the rules, one uses the rules to take advantage of the field. SMH

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:06 AM   #7719
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Looks like Biden is about to get some heat next week.

I'd lean towards agreeing with decision as we move towards more renewables and buying us time.

Biden administration to approve major Alaska oil drilling project Willow | CNN Politics

The 600M barrels of oil didn't seem that big to me initially as we use 15M+ daily. But then read that Alaska has 2.4B of proven reserves which means this is relatively significant.

Interesting Biden move and not sure I agree.

I think Willow is defensible because we need to become energy independent. From what I've read, we are a already net exporter of natural gas, don't have a domestic need.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...biden-00093092
Quote:
Alaska LNG, a $40 billion project proposed for the state’s south coast, would be the second major fossil fuel proposal in the state to have stalled under the Trump administration only to be resuscitated under President Joe Biden. The turnabout is delighting the state’s Republicans, who have had harsh words for most of Biden’s energy agenda, while angering climate activists already dismayed by the administration’s approval of Alaska’s Willow oil project last month.
The article refers to allies needing an alternate supply. So probably not national security but having enough to help out allies. Surprised he thought it was worth the political capital.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sent global energy markets into a tailspin. Japan, South Korea and European countries have scrambled to source alternative supplies of natural gas to replace what they have stopped taking from Russia. And with Alaska LNG being the only new, fully permitted gas export plant on the U.S. West Coast, Asian buyers in particular are giving the project a long look, said Frank Richards, senior vice president for project developer Alaska Gasline Development Corp.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-01-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #7720
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Old 05-01-2023, 05:16 PM   #7721
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

SHINGLES DOESN'T CARE!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:56 PM   #7722
Kodos
Resident Alien

She needs to take on for the team and retire.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:18 PM   #7723
GrantDawg

The only problem is she thinks the team she needs to take one for is the Chicago Black Sox.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2023, 06:24 PM   #7724
Edward64
Head Coach

June 1 is the magic x date.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/01/trea...-mccarthy.html
Quote:
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Monday warned that the United States may run out of measures to pay its debt obligations by June 1, earlier than the government and Wall Street had been expecting.
:
This date is earlier than Wall Street economists were expecting. Goldman Sachs’ latest estimate this week put the deadline at some point in late July, though the bank’s economists acknowledged that weaker-than-expected tax receipts could advance that timeline.
Time to get serious. It'll be interesting considering all the supposed line the sands already drawn.

Quote:
On Monday, President Joe Biden called the “big four” congressional leaders — Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, McCarthy and House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries — to invite them to a May 9 meeting at the White House to discuss the debt limit, a White House official told NBC.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #7725
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not a fan of a clean bill to raise the debt limit. Something needs to be added to help return the country to fiscal sanity.

On the other hand I think the Republican bill asks for too much. Also I think it was introduced far too late to have any serious negotiations.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:21 PM   #7726
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The budget is the time for budget negotiations. Their shouldn't be any hostage taking on paying the bills that were agreed to in the budget.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:23 PM   #7727
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The budget is the time for budget negotiations. Their shouldn't be any hostage taking on paying the bills that were agreed to in the budget.

I get that, but I'm just tired of congress kicking the can down the road and racking up even more debt.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:26 PM   #7728
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We'll blow up the economy if you don't repeal all of your legislation isn't something that can be tolerated.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:35 PM   #7729
GrantDawg

On top of the fact, the road to the fiscal responsibility has to include major cuts to defense spending and a large increase to taxes on the top 1 percent, or it is not even serious.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #7730
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
On top of the fact, the road to the fiscal responsibility has to include major cuts to defense spending and a large increase to taxes on the top 1 percent, or it is not even serious.

It isn't proper reform unless it flattens the abhorrently skewed tax structure.

And one of the few justifiable expenses in the entire budget IS the defense portion (though certainly subject to being considered for efficiency).

And there is why we need to figure out the long overdue divorce. You can have your socialist paradise, I might get to have a nation worthy of continued existence, we're both a metric fuckton happier.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:40 PM   #7731
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

When you look at total tax burden, federal, state, and local, taxation is pretty close to flat.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #7732
Edward64
Head Coach

Planning to prioritize debt payments in anticipation that Jun 1 arrives is a good idea as an emergency & temporary Plan B. I guess in this way the US will default on "some" lower priority debt and not all of it. Regardless, it'll be a total cluster.

Congressional Budget Office.
Quote:
H.R. 187, Default Prevention Act

H.R. 187 would require the Treasury to prioritize payment of obligations using a five-tiered payment structure if total debt subject to limit is at the statutory maximum. Under the bill the Treasury could issue debt that would not be subject to the statutory limit in amounts that would be sufficient to meet obligations for the first tier: the principal and interest on the public debt and the obligations of Social Security and Medicare. Payment of obligations would be prioritized as follows:

Tier I would include payments for public debt, Social Security, and Medicare;

Tier II would include payments for obligations of the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs;

Tier III would include payments for obligations of any program not in a designated tier;

Tier IV would include payments for certain federal employee union activities, executive branch travel, and compensation of the President, Vice President and some political appointees; and

Tier V would include compensation to Members of Congress.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:19 PM   #7733
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When you look at total tax burden, federal, state, and local, taxation is pretty close to flat.

Also the fact that wealthy people are not paying income tax but capital gains if they haven't found a cozy tax haven overseas. Most billionaires barely touch double digit tax rates when we pay that alone in just FICA.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:58 AM   #7734
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg

There are most definitely other ways to be serious about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips

Agreed. I'm with NobodyHere on the continually escalating debt issue, but when you vote to spend money and don't vote to increase revenue to match, this is what happens.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:50 AM   #7735
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’ve been convinced for a while the gop will purposely default to make Biden look bad. There is no depth to their depravity. They do not care about the American people and the suffering this will cause if they can score political points.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:30 AM   #7736
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I’ve been convinced for a while the gop will purposely default to make Biden look bad. There is no depth to their depravity. They do not care about the American people and the suffering this will cause if they can score political points.
I am positive that is the plan on the MTG side of the party. They have absolutely no intention of coming to any compromise, and that is also why they made sure McCarthy is to weak to make a move without them. What's destroy the economy to them if they see a white nationalist nation rising out of the ashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It isn't proper reform unless it flattens the abhorrently skewed tax structure.

And one of the few justifiable expenses in the entire budget IS the defense portion (though certainly subject to being considered for efficiency).

And there is why we need to figure out the long overdue divorce. You can have your socialist paradise, I might get to have a nation worthy of continued existence, we're both a metric fuckton happier.
I'm very far from desiring a "socialist utopia", but I do believe we as the "richest country in the world" should at least provide the basic human services that every other industrialized nation provides. As for the defense budget, that "consider for efficientcy" is exactly what I'm talking about. Way too much of that budget is going to just sheer corruption. If we had any kind of political will and a desire to improve the federal budget, someone needs to tackle a reform on the military that would cut spending while actually improving our military force. Get rid expensive weapon system that either are no longer needed or never worked in the first place. Improve life of the service men while getting rid of contractors that are paid to provide services that they don't fulfill. Having a real system of accountability for offering and serving contracts.
That is probably a bigger fantasy than an utopian socialist society.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-02-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:37 AM   #7737
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Biden inviting Congressional leaders to the WH to discuss the debt ceiling.

So, Biden blinked. The GOP line was "you must negotiate." The Biden line was "we won't negotiate."

What's funny is that no one is really going to talk about it in those terms.

The Dems aren't going to trumpet Biden looking weak.

But the GOP won't trumpet it either. They called the WH bluff and won. But their whole deal is constantly feeling shat on. They can't ever admit winning because where do they go from there?
Old 05-02-2023, 07:42 AM   #7738
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We all know MTG et al don't care, which really weakens McCarthy. The question is are there 5 GOP congresspeople willing to cross the aisle to literally save the global economy?
Old 05-02-2023, 07:44 AM   #7739
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I still think (and I could be really wrong about this) that the GOP does not lift the debt limit.

But everyone agrees to "suspend" the limit until some time close to the budget deadline.

And then the budget/debt limit negotiations can be the same thing. And the Dems can say that they aren't negotiating the debt limit. And the GOP can say that they used the debt limit to get what they wanted from Biden. Both sides get to save face.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-02-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:53 AM   #7740
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I still think (and I could be really wrong about this) that the GOP does not lift the debt limit.

But everyone agrees to "suspend" the limit until some time close to the budget deadline.

And then the budget/debt limit negotiations can be the same thing. And the Dems can say that they aren't negotiating the debt limit. And the GOP can say that they used the debt limit to get what they wanted from Biden. Both sides get to save face.

I like this compromise.

But just as likely as the extremists take us to the very brink. Or just over it for a short period of time.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:42 AM   #7741
GrantDawg

It only takes one member of the nut job parry to call for a vote of no confidence in the Speaker. They can easily shut down any negotiation, and basically shut down the House.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:04 AM   #7742
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It only takes one member of the nut job parry to call for a vote of no confidence in the Speaker. They can easily shut down any negotiation, and basically shut down the House.

Fair likelihood a no confidence will be initiated in the next couple years, but seriously doubt the GOP extremist faction will get the assistance of the Dems, and the necessary simple majority.

Now if McCarthy ends up really pissing off the Dems, then all bets are off.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:20 PM   #7743
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm thinking odds are the suspension will happen, don't see getting a compromise with a month left. Definitely a better Plan B than prioritizing payments and defaulting on some-but-not-all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/02/debt...rats-deal.html
Quote:
Yet moments before Schumer delivered his scathing condemnation of the House GOP bill, he entered that same bill onto the Senate calendar under a special rule that allows it to bypass the Senate committee process and move right to the floor for consideration.
:
Schumer also moved a separate piece of legislation to the floor – a Democratic bill to suspend the debt limit through Dec. 31, 2024.
Quote:
There are two ways for Congress to avoid a looming debt default: The first is by voting to raise the statutory debt limit, currently set at $31.4 trillion. The second is by voting to suspend the limit for a set amount of time, essentially stopping the clock on default.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:17 PM   #7744
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I get that, but I'm just tired of congress kicking the can down the road and racking up even more debt.

Defaulting on debts makes the deficit issue even worse. Country now has to borrow at much higher rates.

Also the people who were screaming about inflation the past year are the same people screaming about the deficit. Guess what is good for you if you owe people money??????
Old 05-02-2023, 05:39 PM   #7745
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Biden inviting Congressional leaders to the WH to discuss the debt ceiling.

So, Biden blinked. The GOP line was "you must negotiate." The Biden line was "we won't negotiate."

What's funny is that no one is really going to talk about it in those terms.

The Dems aren't going to trumpet Biden looking weak.

But the GOP won't trumpet it either. They called the WH bluff and won. But their whole deal is constantly feeling shat on. They can't ever admit winning because where do they go from there?

I read that Biden has called them all there to say “stop fucking around” , that there is really no negotiating this and time to just suspend it for now. This would be with the idea to deal with this as part of the budget. So don’t see this as a win for Rs or Biden being weak. That being said we wil, just have to see where we are come June 1st.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-02-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:59 PM   #7746
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would be moving far away from nuclear reactors.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:46 AM   #7747
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
the people who were screaming about inflation the past year are the same people screaming about the deficit. Guess what is good for you if you owe people money??????

This is one of the weaker attempts at a gotcha that I've read in a while. Yes it's better to be able to pay back debts in cheaper dollars, but the effect on inflation on the economy is far worse than the benefit of servicing debt cheaper. I think we have enough examples of governments printing money to deal with debt and the utter disaster that causes.

Any sensible way out of excessive deficit spending is always going to be about not exceeding our means by such absurd amounts.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:19 AM   #7748
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I would be moving far away from nuclear reactors.

I'm cool when the entire east side of Houston is oil refineries, right? I'm sure those companies will self-regulate properly. It's not like people don't routinely die there already.

And the Food and Drug Administration doesn't need to check food or drugs, except ones explicitly stated in the initial bill establishing them.

And so on and so forth

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-03-2023 at 07:20 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:14 AM   #7749
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey, it's been at least a week since I've seen a report of an explosion in Texas.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:59 AM   #7750
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Best case is they make it impossible to regulate anything going forward. Worst case is they make every current regulation subject to a judge's whim.

This is the way to gut everything the far right hates, environmental regs, Obamacare, vaccines, anti-discrimination regs, etc.