Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2023, 03:04 PM   #7501
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Not sure where to put this. The head of the San Jose police union was busted for being a major fentanyl distributor.
I feel like I saw this movie once.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:16 PM   #7502
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Reed O'Connor just ruled that the preventive coverage mandate in the ACA is unconstitutional.

Can't wait for the Alito Court to tell us that because health insurance didn't exist in 1776, it has no protections in law today.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:39 AM   #7503
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Not sure where to put this. The head of the San Jose police union was busted for being a major fentanyl distributor.

Just saw the suspects picture. Not what I would have expected.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:37 PM   #7504
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm still unsure of Tik Tok but below is pretty clear cut re: Pinduoduo. It was a Chinese cyber team that found it in Feb. Its just weird that such a popular app can contain malicious stuff that was clearly out of the norm, and Google didn't catch it.

I always assumed Apple and Google scan the apps for things that look unusual but know "bad" apps can still get downloaded. I wonder if Apple, Google can team up with these cyber security companies. Pay them a % of fees to provide differing levels of certification, transparency & warn on risk levels of the apps. Pass the costs to the app developers and tier it based on downloads or such.

I've heard (and believe true) Apple does a better job than Google. One reason why I stay with Apple and don't do anything sensitive with my travel Android phone.

Pinduoduo: One of China's most popular apps has the ability to spy on its users, say experts | CNN Business
Quote:
It is one of China’s most popular shopping apps, selling clothing, groceries and just about everything else under the sun to more than 750 million users a month.

But according to cybersecurity researchers, it can also bypass users’ cell phone security to monitor activities on other apps, check notifications, read private messages and change settings.
Quote:
The researchers found code designed to achieve “privilege escalation”: a type of cyberattack that exploits a vulnerable operating system to gain a higher level of access to data than it’s supposed to have, according to experts.

“Our team has reverse engineered that code and we can confirm that it tries to escalate rights, tries to gain access to things normal apps wouldn’t be able to do on Android phones,” said Hyppönen.
:
Toshin found Pinduoduo to have exploited about 50 Android system vulnerabilities. Most of the exploits were tailor made for customized parts known as the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) code, which tends to be audited less often than AOSP and is therefore more prone to vulnerabilities, he said.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:06 PM   #7505
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like gas prices will be going up. I've enjoyed the < $3.10 prices.

For the sake of their citizens, I hope they invest their increased profits wisely for the day when US & Europe won't need their heavy crude anymore. I look forward to that day.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/02/saud...tput-cuts.html
Quote:
Saudi Arabia and other OPEC+ oil producers on Sunday announced further oil output cuts of around 1.16 million barrels per day, in a surprise move that analysts said would cause an immediate rise in prices and the United States called inadvisable.
:
Oil prices last month fell towards $70 a barrel, the lowest in 15 months, on concern that a global banking crisis would hit demand. Still, further action by OPEC+ to support the market was not expected after sources downplayed this prospect and crude recovered towards $80.

The latest reductions could lift oil prices by $10 per barrel, the head of investment firm Pickering Energy Partners said on Sunday, while oil broker PVM said it expected an immediate jump once trading starts after the weekend.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #7506
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Looks like gas prices will be going up. I've enjoyed the < $3.10 prices.

For the sake of their citizens, I hope they invest their increased profits wisely for the day when US & Europe won't need their heavy crude anymore. I look forward to that day.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/02/saud...tput-cuts.html
You understand that can only happen if we greatly reduce the amount of oil is consumed, right? The price of oil will always be set globally, and even if the US doesn't buy a single gallon of OPEC oil, the price we pay will be affected by the gobal price. OPEC will always be able to manipulate the global price. The only thing that could possibly make a real difference on that manipulation is if there was a massive reduction in demand.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:37 AM   #7507
Edward64
Head Coach

Sure. Transportation is the biggest use of gas. As EV share increases, our dependence on oil (and SA) will decrease. Below says 40-50% of new cars will be EV by 2030. So maybe add another +10-15 years for many of the older cars to fade away.

Assuming continued EV adoption (and ability to support those logistics & infrastructure - there was a good debate about that in a prior thread), we will hit an "inflection" point in the next 10-20-30 years where we won't be beholden to SA.

(... and hopefully access to rare earth metals will be more spread out to friendly countries).

Quote:
S&P Global Mobility forecasts electric vehicle sales in the United States could reach 40 percent of total passenger car sales by 2030, and more optimistic projections foresee electric vehicle sales surpassing 50 percent by 2030.2

Use of oil - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Quote:
Gasoline is the most consumed petroleum product in the United States. In 2021, consumption of finished motor gasoline averaged about 8.8 million b/d (369 million gallons per day), which was equal to about 44% of total U.S. petroleum consumption.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:41 AM   #7508
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not to burst the hopefulness bubble, but I think our dependence on other countries will only continue to increase. Who is 'friendly' and who is not will also shift, but from how I see it at this point the situation will be worse from a dependence point of view than our current oil situation is.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:48 AM   #7509
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Not to burst the hopefulness bubble, but I think our dependence on other countries will only continue to increase. Who is 'friendly' and who is not will also shift, but from how I see it at this point the situation will be worse from a dependence point of view than our current oil situation is.

I assume you mean because of rare earth metals?

It seems there are significant deposits, discoveries being found. #1 China (44M metric tons) is currently the 600lb gorilla but #2 Vietnam (22M mt) is also pretty rich in it and #3 Brazil & Russia (21M mt).

So we need to develop and increase our relationships with Vietnam & Brazil.

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I read that Africa is also rich in rare earth metals but not listed in article. Assume its because they are not proven reserves.

Rare Earths Reserves: Top 8 Countries (Updated 2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:05 AM   #7510
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not just rare earths, although that's part of it. It's more just the fact that the further technological advancement goes, the more resources and products become essential to modern economies. Just a general 'everyone is reliant on everyone' situation intensifies.

You're absolutely correct that new discoveries are being made and will continue to be, but given the diversity in resources we use and the fact that they aren't spread evenly over the globe, there's a near-zero chance that any nation or region will ever have independent supplies of most of them.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:10 AM   #7511
Edward64
Head Coach

Probably.

US is the biggest producer of natural gas. Maybe the bet should have been on that vs electric. But either way, we have a chance to develop new (and better) relationships with different countries vs the frenemies we have now.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:30 PM   #7512
Atocep
Coordinator

Idaho is on verge of passing a bill that would mean no child under 18 will have a library card in the state.

The bill states parents can sue if their child obtains an objectionable book from a library. Objectionable is broadly defined but the bill states that simply having a gay character in a book meets the their definition of objectionable.

Libraries have said the only way they'll be able to meet this is by pulling the library card of anyone under 18 and requiring an adult to accompany anyone under 18 in a library.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:07 AM   #7513
Flasch186
Coordinator

Feature not a bug

Rainbows are so upset they’re commiserating with the banned Christmas trees and merry Christmas at the local drinking hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:21 AM   #7514
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Idaho is on verge of passing a bill that would mean no child under 18 will have a library card in the state.

The bill states parents can sue if their child obtains an objectionable book from a library. Objectionable is broadly defined but the bill states that simply having a gay character in a book meets the their definition of objectionable.

Libraries have said the only way they'll be able to meet this is by pulling the library card of anyone under 18 and requiring an adult to accompany anyone under 18 in a library.

Do kids still go to the library?

Do brick and mortar libraries still exist?
Old 04-04-2023, 07:30 AM   #7515
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Yes and Yes
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:37 AM   #7516
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...stent-elusive/

It's an opinion piece, so it is slanted anti-GOP. But it does highlight how important framing is going to be for the debt ceiling debate.

So far, McCarthy has been able to do perfectly fine with a "no concrete proposals, just vibes" style of leadership. But President Biden has, so far, stood pretty firm on the position that he won't negotiate the debt ceiling and won't even talk about negotiating until the GOP puts forth a proposal of what they actually want.

Which, as the opinion piece explains, McCarthy can't do because he probably couldn't get 218 GOP votes for a resolution that the sky is blue, let alone for a budget proposal that requires actual trade offs.

So, after the Trump circus dies down and people start focusing more on the debt ceiling, will the primary framing be "Biden won't negotiate" or will it be "The GOP won't make a counter offer to Biden's budget proposal to continue negotiations?"

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-04-2023 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:51 AM   #7517
GrantDawg

Quote:

My son always loved going to the library. He even volunteered weekends at the library in high school. But to be fair. my son isn't normal.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:58 AM   #7518
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...stent-elusive/So, after the Trump circus dies down and people start focusing more on the debt ceiling, will the dominate framing be "Biden won't negotiate" or will it be "The GOP won't make a counter offer to Biden's budget proposal to continue negotiations?"

Think Biden has the upper hand here for the independents. Continue to remind everyone that he's come up with a proposed budget, GOP hasn't countered, debt ceiling is for debt already approved & incurred by Congress, challenge on how fractionalized GOP House is, how this threatens US debt ratings, and show up on Sun morning shows (and others) to continually message this.

Ultimately, this will come down to the final days & weeks before default (sometime in Jun?) before it gets approved.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:31 AM   #7519
miked
College Starter

Quote:

We go all the time. It's free and we don't have tons of space for bookshelves in the house to buy books every time the kids want to try a new series.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:06 AM   #7520
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice, very nice. Looks like Bong Bong has pivoted from Duterte (who is his VP's father) and gone all in with the US. Great work Biden & Blinken.

IMO US should focus more (including militarily) on Asia and less in Europe. Need to get started on a new SEATO alliance to counter China.

FWIW, I've been to Palawan. I'd call it a sleepy island with some great beaches. I can see the US messing that up for regular tourism.

Quote:
The Philippines on Monday identified the locations of four new military bases the US will gain access to, as part of an expanded defense agreement analysts say is aimed at combating China.

The four bases include three on the main island of Luzon, close to Taiwan, and one in Palawan province in the South China Sea (SCS).

The US has stepped up efforts to expand its Indo-Pacific security options in recent months, amid mounting concerns over China’s aggressive territorial posturing throughout the region.

The new locations, opened up under the 2014 Enhanced Defense Cooperation Arrangement (EDCA), will allow the US to rotate troops to a total of nine bases throughout the Philippines, including on the strategically important Balabac Island close to Chinese installations in the South China Sea.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:45 PM   #7521
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Think Biden has the upper hand here for the independents. Continue to remind everyone that he's come up with a proposed budget, GOP hasn't countered, debt ceiling is for debt already approved & incurred by Congress, challenge on how fractionalized GOP House is, how this threatens US debt ratings, and show up on Sun morning shows (and others) to continually message this.

Ultimately, this will come down to the final days & weeks before default (sometime in Jun?) before it gets approved.
I think this what McCarthy will lose his Speakership over. Wonder what the odds are? It might be worth putting $10 in.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:02 PM   #7522
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think this what McCarthy will lose his Speakership over. Wonder what the odds are? It might be worth putting $10 in.

Their behind the scenes dirty laundry will get aired if the dems play it right and that definitely could end I'm him losing the speakership. I'm not sure anyone else really wants it though.

There's a reason they haven't proposed a budget. Anything they release is going to be unpopular and it's going to divide their own caucus. They're better at fighting imaginary enemies and culture wars than actually legislating.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:07 PM   #7523
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You have to think there are enough republicans in the house that won't allow us to tank the world economy. Right? RIGHT?
Old 04-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #7524
Butter
Coordinator

Their entire platform has been "anything to own the libs"

If you think "tank the world economy to own the libs" is a bridge too far, you either haven't been paying attention or you are incredibly naive
Old 04-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #7525
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

A lot of kids still go to do their studying. I know it's also popular with older folks here since you can rent movies and such.

People might know this already, but if not, check out your local library's digital offerings. Mine has an app that I can download like 5 e-books a month for free. There are even some documentaries and other old movies that can be watched through an app on Roku.

The audiobook selection is also pretty good on the app. Nothing brand new but I find a lot of good non-fiction stuff from a few years ago on it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #7526
cuervo72
Head Coach

Libraries kick ass. (My son was going to one of his on campus last night to work and get away from possible distractions. He's bummed that it no longer has a cafe though.) As for digital, ours has Hoopla at ten checkouts a month, Libby/Overdrive (unlimited I think), and Kanopy. Plus, you know, whatever other books it has physically or direct eBook download and statewide ILL.

I don't stop in the kids section much anymore, but liked it as a parent.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:19 PM   #7527
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yes, Hoopla is the app I have too!
Old 04-04-2023, 04:00 PM   #7528
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We get 8 digitals per month on Hoopla. I've used it to read comic-- err... graphic novels... mainly

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:06 PM   #7529
cuervo72
Head Coach

Not a bad thing to do.

My problem -- if you can call it a problem -- is that I have so many physical books to get through that I don't really take advantage of the online services. I mean, if there's a specific book that I want to read that I don't have, then it's great. But finding something to read is not an issue. (For instance, our local Unitarian church had it's bookselling fundraiser a couple of weekends ago. I bought thirty-one books. That'll last me a little while, ON TOP OF the scores of unread books I already have.)
Old 04-04-2023, 04:16 PM   #7530
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, our library system has a bunch of movies. So if there's some movie out that's like a year or more old that you haven't seen, it's almost certainly around to reserve from the library and get it in less than a week

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #7531
Thomkal
Head Coach

The Democrat in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race has won pretty convincingly, shattering the previous vote count for any Supreme Court election by 300,000. Turns the Court liberal, keeps abortion from being outlawed and likely leads to new non-gerrymandered maps

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-04-2023 at 09:37 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:29 PM   #7532
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The Democrat in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race has won pretty convincingly, shattering the previous vote count by 300,000. Turns the Court liberal, keeps abortion from being outlawed and likely leads to new non-gerrymandered maps

This is great because it was widely viewed as a tone setter.

I think the take away is young people re paying attention and they are pissed.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:31 PM   #7533
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Which is why Texas and other red states are creating laws and removing polling places to keep them from voting.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:38 PM   #7534
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This is great because it was widely viewed as a tone setter.

Yeah and they have a head of steam up in Tenn now after the antics Republicans pulled there
Old 04-05-2023, 12:22 AM   #7535
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The Democrat in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race has won pretty convincingly, shattering the previous vote count for any Supreme Court election by 300,000. Turns the Court liberal, keeps abortion from being outlawed and likely leads to new non-gerrymandered maps

Wisconsin is the most gerrymandered state in the country. Will he interesting to see what happens now.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:03 AM   #7536
Flasch186
Coordinator

he'll have to Gerrymander it back to normal gerrymandering.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:06 AM   #7537
Atocep
Coordinator

Most surprising to me was the number of conservatives posting on reddit after this Wisconsin loss acknowledging that winning close elections is going to be difficult for them post Roe. Some of them seem to be coming to the understanding that having a platform that basically says you're either 100% with us on all issues or you're a dem is probably hurting them as well.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #7538
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Most surprising to me was the number of conservatives posting on reddit after this Wisconsin loss acknowledging that winning close elections is going to be difficult for them post Roe. Some of them seem to be coming to the understanding that having a platform that basically says you're either 100% with us on all issues or you're a dem is probably hurting them as well.

I am definitely not one of those Dems who wants the GOP to keep going MAGA so that we can win more elections. MAGA is way too dangerous to play with.

If the GOP starts to moderate and goes back to being the pro-Democracy, anti-Russia, pro-rule-of-law, pro-individual-freedom, and fiscally conservative party that it has previously been I will welcome it.

It will start winning more elections, but that is a small price for me (as a Dem) to pay for having a real conservative party back in this country.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #7539
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

One of the lessons of last night is that Dan Kelly is just a shitty candidate. He's gotten his ass handed to him twice now.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #7540
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

In local election news, I am now a member-elect of our town's school board.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #7541
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cool!
Old 04-05-2023, 12:41 PM   #7542
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

congrats!
Old 04-05-2023, 12:54 PM   #7543
cuervo72
Head Coach

Have we covered this yet anywhere?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...273956915.html
Old 04-05-2023, 12:55 PM   #7544
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

People asked why I'd want to volunteer for a role where I get yelled at a lot and I mentioned that I'm already a youth soccer referee.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:00 PM   #7545
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
One of the lessons of last night is that Dan Kelly is just a shitty candidate. He's gotten his ass handed to him twice now.

His concession speech shows perfectly that the voters made the right choice
Old 04-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #7546
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

enjoy the death threats!
Old 04-05-2023, 01:04 PM   #7547
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I am definitely not one of those Dems who wants the GOP to keep going MAGA so that we can win more elections. MAGA is way too dangerous to play with.

If the GOP starts to moderate and goes back to being the pro-Democracy, anti-Russia, pro-rule-of-law, pro-individual-freedom, and fiscally conservative party that it has previously been I will welcome it.

It will start winning more elections, but that is a small price for me (as a Dem) to pay for having a real conservative party back in this country.

I don't think this happens in our lifetime. MAGA has totally changed our political landscape. Even after Trump is gone there are so many clones out there, one will inevitably take his place and win primaries. Every cycle that goes past where traditional republicans lose primaries make it less likely they run in the next one. Losing generals doesn't bother them because they will just act like Kari Lake. The traditional republican party is dead and likely never coming back.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:04 PM   #7548
bronconick
College Starter

Of course, the Wisconsin State Senator Knodl who gave the GOP a supermajority says he'd be open to impeaching and removing Protasiewicz, because that's what Republicans do. (See: Tennessee)
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #7549
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

I hope that every person who voted for shows up at her office and lets her know, peacefully, that they are not happy with her.

Is there a recall process in NC?
Old 04-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #7550
cuervo72
Head Coach

Apparently there is not, no.