Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #7451
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Again, MBBF, it's intellectually dishonest to look at this and say that the only reason why the other side is winning is because your side screwed up constantly.

And I couldn't disagree more. This election, more than any previous elections, was a situation where the winner would be the candidate who screwed up the least. I don't think there's any question that has been Obama up to this point. That's not a slight to him in any way. He did something that a veteran senator failed to do. If status quo remains intact, he'll likely win the election.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #7452
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Any conservative who posts in this thread not knowing they're highly outnumbered is a fool. I'm OK with that. Laughing is good for your health. Just remember me when you live to a ripe, old age.

*chuckles* That's good.

I was going to joke between Sony, McCain, and the Rams that it seems to me that you're angling to replace St Jude as the patron saint of lost causes
Old 10-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #7453
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, MBBF seems to be conveniently forgetting that by LAW, that ACORN is REQUIRED to submit all voter registration forms. All they legally CAN do is flag possible fraudulent registrations for quick review

Exactly, and in many cases they didn't flag that obvious fraud. The argument 'Well, we HAD to submit them' is a very weak argument. They knew exactly what was happening. The convictions in 2006 should have been an awakening for ACORN in regard to fraudulent registrations. Evidently, it wasn't because we're seeing more of it, not less.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #7454
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
*chuckles* That's good.

I was going to joke between Sony, McCain, and the Rams that it seems to me that you're angling to replace St Jude as the patron saint of lost causes

For the love of God, would you and Barack get it right? This is KC, not St. Louis! At least identify the correct lost cause! It's the Chiefs!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #7455
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oops! Mah bad, dawg.

Wait.. That wouldn't make you a fan of the Royals would it?

MORE PROOF!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #7456
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Republican National Committee halting ads in Wisconsin, Maine; focusing on red states

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Republican National Committee is halting presidential ads in Wisconsin and Maine, turning its attention primarily to usually Republican states where GOP nominee John McCain shows signs of faltering.
Advertisement

The party's independent ad operation is doubling its budget to about $10 million and focusing on crucial states such as Colorado, Missouri, Indiana and Virginia where Democrat Barack Obama has established a foothold, according a Republican strategist familiar with presidential ad placements.

Florida and North Carolina have also been in the RNC ad mix, but Pennsylvania is the only Democratic leaning swing state apparently left in the party's ad campaign.

It seems like the RNC finds the election polls to be fairly accurate based on the way they've abandoned WI and MI in the past week or two. Hopefully they keep pumping money into PA since that state turning red is about as likely as Wisconsin at this point.

Meanwhile (as mentioned either a few pages back in here or in a separate thread) the Obama campaign has so much money to burn that they've begun to advertise in video games.

Quote:
I'm sure this will lead to charges that the Democratic Party is "buying" the 2008 election. Joe Scarborough apparently made that charge today on "Morning Joe" on MSNBC.

I'm getting pretty tired of all these right-wing talking heads in the mainstream media.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #7457
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oops! Mah bad, dawg.

Wait.. That wouldn't make you a fan of the Royals would it?

MORE PROOF!

I'm pretty sure that the Denkinger curse lives on. We'll pay for that for a long time, but at least we won it all in 1985!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #7458
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So, let's take the Pennsylvania numbers, which have never had a Democratic turnout greater than 43% in the last 50 years.

Where did you get this 43% from?

Pennsylvania had a 64.5% voter turnout in 2004 and 51% of all votes went to democrat John Kerry. I would find it difficult to believe that Kerry pulled 51% of the votes while the Dems only had a (at most) 43% turnout.

US Census Press Releases
2004 State by State Results
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #7459
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Exactly, and in many cases they didn't flag that obvious fraud. The argument 'Well, we HAD to submit them' is a very weak argument. They knew exactly what was happening. The convictions in 2006 should have been an awakening for ACORN in regard to fraudulent registrations. Evidently, it wasn't because we're seeing more of it, not less.

Actually, no one is even talking about whether they flagged them or not. I haven't seen one reporter question it. All I've heard are that are people saying fraudulent registrations were received. Don't you agree that if ACORN is required to submit all registrations, then the scary "OMG Mickey Mouse and Tony Romo are gonna vote!" is nonsense and instead we should be talking about 1) whether or not these applications had been flagged, 2) whether or not ACORN officials encouraged fraudulent applications, and 3) whether the amount of fraudulent applications that were not flagged is a high enough percentage to call negligence.

None of these questions have been asked. The mickey Mouse and Tony Romo stuff make for good headlines, but they do absolutely nothing to get at the root of the problem.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-15-2008 at 02:22 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #7460
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think we need to remember to add the Kansas City Penguins to MBBF's list of lost causes.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #7461
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

All in favor of asking the Dog to give MBBF the custom user title "St Jude" or "patron saint of lost causes"?

Although, now that I think about it, just imagine if McCain somehow does comeback and win? I hear enviromentalists are praying that won't happen, because the amount of crow that MBBF would be serving up to all of us to eat would put the proud race at the verge of extinction.....
Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #7462
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Where did you get this 43% from?

Pennsylvania had a 64.5% voter turnout in 2004 and 51% of all votes went to democrat John Kerry. I would find it difficult to believe that Kerry pulled 51% of the votes while the Dems only had a (at most) 43% turnout.

US Census Press Releases
2004 State by State Results

That's correct. 43% of voters were registered Democrats. The independent voters pushed the rest of the vote with some Republican defections I assume. The numbers were in the post I put up.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #7463
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Actually, no one is even talking about whether they flagged them or not. I haven't seen one reporter question it. All I've heard are that are people saying fraudulent registrations were received. Don't you agree that if ACORN is required to submit all registrations, then the scary "OMG Mickey Mouse and Tony Romo are gonna vote!" is nonsense and instead we should be talking about 1) whether or not these applications had been flagged, 2) whether or not ACORN officials encouraged fraudulent applications, and 3) whether the amount of fraudulent applications that were not flagged is a high enough percentage to call negligence.

None of these questions have been asked. The mickey Mouse and Tony Romo stuff make for good headlines, but they do absolutely nothing to get at the root of the problem.

I agree with everything you said.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #7464
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
All in favor of asking the Dog to give MBBF the custom user title "St Jude" or "patron saint of lost causes"?

Although, now that I think about it, just imagine if McCain somehow does comeback and win? I hear enviromentalists are praying that won't happen, because the amount of crow that MBBF would be serving up to all of us to eat would put the proud race at the verge of extinction.....

I'm pretty sure I'll be on the wrong side in the end. I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #7465
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Most of the ACORN stuff is baloney, but it does seem obvious that paying by the number of registrations is not a good idea.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #7466
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm already prepared for...

Virginia

McCain 49.9
Obama 49.8

North Carolina

McCain 50.3
Obama 48.8

Ohio

McCain 49.3
Obama 48.9

Missouri

McCain 50.8
Obama 47.1

Colorado

McCain 49.5
Obama 49.1

Nevada

McCain 48.8
Obama 47.6

Florida

McCain 49.4
Obama 49.3

Recounts!

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-15-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #7467
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Most of the ACORN stuff is baloney, but it does seem obvious that paying by the number of registrations is not a good idea.

Actually, ACORN doesn't pay by number of registrations. That's one of the defenses they make. They say that officials don't get anything extra for sending in extra applications, so the motivation to do so is lacking.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #7468
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Doesn't he already have that by calling himself "Mizzou B-ball fan"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-15-2008 at 02:46 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #7469
Butter
Coordinator

Talking more about the polls and piggybacking off of larrymcg's post... if the current polls hold up, AND Obama still loses... does anyone think there will be problems? And by problems, I mean major social unrest?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #7470
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, ACORN doesn't pay by number of registrations. That's one of the defenses they make. They say that officials don't get anything extra for sending in extra applications, so the motivation to do so is lacking.

Interesting. I've seen it reported numerous times that they do pay per registrant. Regardless, the confluence between registration fraud and voting fraud just isn't that great. If ACORN did something wrong they should be punished, but bad registrations doesn't mean there will be widescale voter fraud.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #7471
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The irony is so delicious, it may need to be called ambrosia:

McCain campaign protests YouTube's DMCA policy | Politics and Law - CNET News

McCain's campaign slams YouTube over their DMCA policy, saying that their McCain campaign videos are covered by fair use and that YouTube should have ignored DMCA takedown complaints from CBS and Fox.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #7472
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Talking more about the polls and piggybacking off of larrymcg's post... if the current polls hold up, AND Obama still loses... does anyone think there will be problems? And by problems, I mean major social unrest?

Oh, certainly. I would hope the national guard is ready, cause it might be bad.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #7473
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I had to respond to Butter's post... I thought I remembered saying something similar a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Lotta anger in this thread. Mind if I pose a question to both sides? If, on Election Day, your candidate loses in a close race, what will your reaction be? I just got back from the convention in St. Paul and was talking with a left-leaning blogger about this, and what was interesting to me is that we both predicted some violence if Obama loses in a close election.

Also, I'm curious to know how many folks participating in this thread are A) actively volunteering for their candidate of choice and B) have donated money to their campaign. Maybe I'll start a poll on that one.

Looks like I was about six weeks ahead of you in wondering about some violence occuring in the scenario you painted.

People talk about the Bradley effect, but I wonder what you call it when some people feel pressured (to one extent or another) to vote against their preferred wishes because they fear a violent recrimination if their side were to prevail. I mean, it's not like we've had even a hint of threats, as far as I know, but still... folks on the left and right are asking about it, which means folks on the left and right are considering the possibility.

What a weird damn election.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #7474
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

McCain pulls out advertising in Wisconsin now.. and another state I can't recall.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #7475
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Is this election going to be a close one? I think not at this rate. Tonight, McCain must show somethin... I don't know what, but somethin.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-15-2008 at 07:26 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #7476
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Obama shifting resources from Michigan (thanks to McCain's concession there) to Indiana and North Carolina.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #7477
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Obama shifting resources from Michigan (thanks to McCain's concession there) to Indiana and North Carolina.

ugh, more? There's certainly no shortage of political ads here to fill :P
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #7478
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Looks like I was about six weeks ahead of you in wondering about some violence occuring in the scenario you painted.

People talk about the Bradley effect, but I wonder what you call it when some people feel pressured (to one extent or another) to vote against their preferred wishes because they fear a violent recrimination if their side were to prevail. I mean, it's not like we've had even a hint of threats, as far as I know, but still... folks on the left and right are asking about it, which means folks on the left and right are considering the possibility.

What a weird damn election.

I don't know if people would feel pressured, but the thought has crossed my mind that if Obama is leading by a fair margin (say 8 points), but then somehow proceeds to lose all of the swing states by less than 1 percent and loses the electoral college... that it could be ugly. Not just because of unrest from blacks, but serious questions about the validity of the vote could arise... it could be legitimately scary. I don't think that will happen, but it could.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #7479
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Woo! It's debate tim---

(ok, I can't even get through typing that...)

SI

Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #7480
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Major League Baseball has agreed to a request from Fox to delay the start time of Game 6 of the World Series (if a Game 6 is necessary) so the network can air the 30-minute Obama spot, a Fox spokesman confirms to CNN. The Illinois senator has also bought similar time on CBS and NBC, set to begin at 8 p.m.

Ooof. Backfire.. so everyone can blame Obama if a clinching world series game goest past midnight?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #7481
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

My roommate just took three shots, he takes one every time McCain says angry.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #7482
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Noop: I assume you have the local hospital on standby in case of alcohol poisoning?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #7483
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

McCain still going with the $300B Mortgage Bailout. I'm surprised, I thought he'd let it die a quiet death
Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #7484
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Noop: I assume you have the local hospital on standby in case of alcohol poisoning?

I might be smashed if I get maverick or anything that references to him being a difference maker.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #7485
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah.. if that McCain Response was a song, it'd be Ramble On...
Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #7486
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

McCain needs to get his teeth whiten.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #7487
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
My roommate just took three shots, he takes one every time McCain says angry.

We need updates on your rooomy. This should provide more entertainment than the debate.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #7488
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Joe must be one hell of a plumber!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #7489
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They've had this question in both previous debates and they never answered it then. Why ask it again?!?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-15-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #7490
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and Joe Plumber just got a better media buy than if he had a Super Bowl ad and it was free... *sigh*

SI

Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #7491
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

McCain: "During the Depression" (when i was the only one in this room alive)..."blah blah"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #7492
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

McCain, don't go with The Depression Era anecdotes. Everyone in their mind is thinking "and you would know since you were there"

EDIT: DT already went there...

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-15-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #7493
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You know, it's one thing to joke about how he's the only person in this room who lived through the Great Depression amongst friends. It's not exactly the best way to get the confidence of the nation to become president.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-15-2008 at 08:19 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #7494
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

6.8 billion dollars McCain? That's nothing
Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #7495
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The planetarium crack didn't work last time. Why is he bringing it up again?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #7496
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The planetarium crack didn't work last time. Why is he bringing it up again?

he probably forgot he's used it before
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #7497
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That was a nice comeback by McCain about Bush.

SI

Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #7498
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Listen. If he thinks he can balance the budget and pay for Afghanistan/Iraq/etcetera in four years, he needs to go to Vegas, because that's fucking magic.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #7499
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Obama with the nice comeback.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #7500
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That was a nice comeback by McCain about Bush.

SI

Yeah, I used a similar line when I argued for McCain earlier in the thread.