Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #701
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Paging the Dr again..

TSN reporting Lupul gets 4 year extension. No $ amount though.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #702
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
When exactly did Miller go on a run like Fleury just had? Not solely the playoffs, but when he returned from injury in March.

And if you are going to point to the defense in front of him, keep in it is the same defense they began the year with (minus Mark Eaton, plus Hal Gill) that everyone questioned.

back to back conference finals, franchise record games played last year, franchise record wins year before 40...

i stand by my Miller >>>>> Fleury comment
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #703
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I still believe Miller is better than Fleury...now.

I think in the long run Fleury will improve even more and end up the better goalie. But Miller is also very good, and I would take him over Fleury today if I needed a goalie to win today.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #704
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Fleury's post season numbers, across the board, are better than Miller's. Those include 2007's miserable showing against Ottawa.

And they both won 40 games in 2006-07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I still believe Miller is better than Fleury...now.

I think in the long run Fleury will improve even more and end up the better goalie. But Miller is also very good, and I would take him over Fleury today if I needed a goalie to win today.

I can live with an argument Miller is slightly better. But to make him out to be ">>>>>>>>" as Chubby is, is ridiculous.

I would have agreed with you CR heading into the playoffs this season. But Fleury was excellent through the Eastern Conf and still pretty darn good vs. Detroit.

And my original point, based on the contracts, Fleury's deal looks great now. As you say, if Fleury, only 23, continues to get better, that $5M a year will be a steal. At 28, can we expect Miller to continue to improve?
Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #705
samifan24
Pro Starter

Here's a question for fellow hockey fans. If you could go on a mini road trip and see two games in two days in two different cities, which cities would you choose and why?

My buddy and I want to go to Buffalo, then see Niagra Falls and then go to Toronto, the Hall of Fame and a Leafs game the next day. The only problem is that apparently Leafs tickets are nearly impossible to get despite the fact that the team is horrible. Any suggestions? We'd like to stick to the East coast if that helps.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #706
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Staggy sucks! I pity the pens fans that have to deal with his bullshit.

The Flyers have a lot of expiring contracts this year that wont be back...Hatcher (3.5), Nitty (1.1), and Knuble (2.5 ish). I am a little surprised they signed Lupul so early but it is better to do it now.

Check out Colburns cap number...the next two years he is making 1.2 mil each year. What a steal!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #707
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Fleury's post season numbers, across the board, are better than Miller's. Those include 2007's miserable showing against Ottawa.

And they both won 40 games in 2006-07.

I can live with an argument Miller is slightly better. But to make him out to be ">>>>>>>>" as Chubby is, is ridiculous.

I would have agreed with you CR heading into the playoffs this season. But Fleury was excellent through the Eastern Conf and still pretty darn good vs. Detroit.

And my original point, based on the contracts, Fleury's deal looks great now. As you say, if Fleury, only 23, continues to get better, that $5M a year will be a steal. At 28, can we expect Miller to continue to improve?

If the only games played were postseason games, I would agree. And I would point out that Guiguere probably rates better than both in the postseason. But it's not postseason, it's all season.

It's not that I am trying to discount postseason play, which is, of course, critical. But there's more to the discussion than postseason play when comparing players. Plus, Miller has done it for longer, and that means something, too. Fleury needs to put in a little more time at this same level of play and maybe improve a little more, and then I would give him the nod over Miller.

As to the contract thing, you abandoned that discussion when you responded to Chubby's straight Miller >>>> Fleury challenge. It was no longer about the contract, but about comparing the two goalies.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-20-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #708
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Here's a question for fellow hockey fans. If you could go on a mini road trip and see two games in two days in two different cities, which cities would you choose and why?

My buddy and I want to go to Buffalo, then see Niagra Falls and then go to Toronto, the Hall of Fame and a Leafs game the next day. The only problem is that apparently Leafs tickets are nearly impossible to get despite the fact that the team is horrible. Any suggestions? We'd like to stick to the East coast if that helps.

Too bad. You could come out to LA, and if the schedule is right, see two games in two cities in one day. If you're really lucky, the Kings might even be playing someone good, so you could see both that team and the Ducks. And guaranteed, the weather will be better at any time during the hockey season than it will be in any northeast hockey town.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #709
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Too bad. You could come out to LA, and if the schedule is right, see two games in two cities in one day. If you're really lucky, the Kings might even be playing someone good, so you could see both that team and the Ducks. And guaranteed, the weather will be better at any time during the hockey season than it will be in any northeast hockey town.

Thanks for the invite but there's no way I'd go to LA or Anaheim to watch a hockey game. Give me Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo or Pittsburgh any day. I like it cold when I go to the rink.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #710
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a Swedish paper is saying that Sundin is going to the Canucks, but his agent says he isn't
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #711
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Jeff Freaking Taffe back to Pittsburgh. No details yet, probably 1 year, about $500K. He was holding out for a one-way deal, not sure if he got it though.

But, honestly, he was solid last season when the Penguins got hit with injuries in February. He's a fine candidate to play on the 4th line the 50 or so games Eric Godard doesn't dress.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #712
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the invite but there's no way I'd go to LA or Anaheim to watch a hockey game. Give me Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo or Pittsburgh any day. I like it cold when I go to the rink.

Bah! You underestimate the power of our air conditioning units.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #713
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Some updated signings-

Wild re-sign PM Bouchard 5 years/$20.4M

Avs re-sign Svatos 2 years

Isles re-sign Bruno Gervais
Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #714
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

$4.1 million over 2 years for Svatos, which seems about right. I really wish he could stay healthy...
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #715
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Howard Berger has the scoop on most of the new third jerseys:
FAN590 - Blogs - Nothing But Leafs » Blog Archive » No Change In Leafs’ Third Jersey
Old 07-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #716
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Berger is the Malkin to LA guy, no?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #717
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Berger is the Malkin to LA guy, no?
No, that was Garrioch.

Berger is the the guy who said that Avery made fun of Jason Blake's cancer.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #718
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings took care of their last significant piece of off-season business today, inking RFA Val Filppula to a 5 year, $15 million deal. A useful, relatively affordable piece of the puzzle, with some upside from last year's 19 goals and 36 points. Now the Wings ahve him for the prime of his career. Good signing.

I felt like I should start getting concerned about the impending arbitration hearing (set of Aug 1), but I never did. I just couldn't see Holland letting that happen. It's a horrible process for everyone involved. I am sure the Wings were hoping to get Filpulla at a little less than that, but I think it's a good deal. He's a sound two-way player. He's shown flashes of brilliance offensively (his goal in Game 2 of the finals was one of the prettiest in the playoffs). $3 million is not an outrageous sum of money to paying your #2 center during the prime of his career. Hopefully he'll continue to develop and become more and more of a bargain as each year passes.

The Wings line-up this year should look something along the lines of this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom
Franzen - Filppula - Hossa
Cleary - Draper - Matlby
Samuelsson - Hulder - Helm

McCarty, Kopecky, Downey

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Lilja - Lebda

Chelios, Quincey, Meech, Ericsson

Osgood
Conklin

Howard

I am not sure how the 3rd and 4th lines will shake out or what the 3rd D-pairing will look like, but the top two lines and top 4 D look very, very solid.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-30-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #719
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Welp, can we just let the Red Wings keep the Cup? Why even bother making the other teams try to compete for it? Let's just skip this season, age everyone's contracts one year and start the 2009-2010 season already. Detroit has this year locked up.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #720
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

$15 million would buy a lot of eyebrow dye.

just sayin'...

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 07-30-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #721
henry296
College Starter

HB,

Can you add the cap numbers of each player, I'm curious how Detroit allocates their money.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #722
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
HB,

Can you add the cap numbers of each player, I'm curious how Detroit allocates their money.

nhlnumbers.com » Team Overview
Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #723
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Thanks for that, Doc. I am horrible with numbers.

I can summarize. The Wings are a bit up against as things stand. They have around $1 or so left under the cap and still need to sign both Quincey and Chelios.

I think the plan is to go into camp above the cap and see how things shake out. They just need to be under the cap by October 8.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #724
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I can summarize. The Wings are a bit up against as things stand. They have around $1 or so left under the cap and still need to sign both Quincey and Chelios.

I think the plan is to go into camp above the cap and see how things shake out. They just need to be under the cap by October 8.

Doesn't this mean about 600K below the cap?

Cap Space 0.610
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #725
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
$15 million would buy a lot of eyebrow dye.

just sayin'...

...or not as much hair dye, but either way something needs to be done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #726
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Can't they get away with signing Quincey for league minimum with a 2-way contract, then send him to GR for the season? Or is he past that point now? Also, I thought Chelios was planning on retiring...?

Quote:
Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #727
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Reports indicate that Chicago has hired Scotty Bowman to work as an advisor or in some type of capacity like that.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #728
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Edmonton Oilers have named Steve Tambellini as their new general manager, moving Kevin Lowe into the role of President of Hockey Operations for Rexall sports.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #729
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings will look to deal Lilja and if they do, there is a mil off the books. Considering he can be top 5 somewhere, I am sure it won't be hard.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #730
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Sens re-sign Vermette, 2 years / $5.525M

Sharks re-sign Ryane Clowe. No idea on # of years, but will make $1.6M next year. I can see him emerging as a Ryan Malone type player if he can stay healthy-- probably more in the mold of a 3rd liner, but can play and score when paired properly with other skill players.

And from a couple days ago-- Pascal Leclaire, 3 years /$11.8M staying in Columbus.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #731
samifan24
Pro Starter

Pascal Leclaire has the best headshot in NHL2K8.

Last edited by samifan24 : 08-02-2008 at 01:17 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #732
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Welp, can we just let the Red Wings keep the Cup? Why even bother making the other teams try to compete for it? Let's just skip this season, age everyone's contracts one year and start the 2009-2010 season already. Detroit has this year locked up.

You all excited about the netminder situation there?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #733
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You all excited about the netminder situation there?

SI

Well, that's the big question. Always has been in Detroit. If the goaltending can hold up, then...

At this point, how can you really complaint about the netminder situation? There aren't too many other teams who have a two time Stanley Cup Winner (as a starter) between the pipes.

Osgood's numbers the last two years have been outstanding. He will never get the credit he deserves. Besides that, Conklin was pretty sound last year in Pittsburgh.

So, so long as the team stays healthy, they should be all right.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #734
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Pascal Leclaire has the best headshot in NHL2K8.

Is he a beaver? Those are some NASTY front teeth.....

Quote:
Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #735
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Is he a beaver? Those are some NASTY front teeth.....

Haha, I never even noticed his front teeth before. I always noticed his crazy hair and wondered what happened there. "Oh, time for my headshot? Hang on a sec, I have to crazy up my hair" or "What? Headshot now? Like, right now?"
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #736
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It's funny because it's true.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #737
samifan24
Pro Starter

Can any Leafs fans or Toronto area natives help me out here? I'm looking for some advice on where to buy cheap or face value tickets to a Leafs-Habs game in early November. My buddy and I want to do a Buffalo-Toronto-Hockey Hall road trip but I've heard that Leafs tixs are really hard to buy. Any advice you guys can offer beyond the usual eBay / StubHub stuff?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #738
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Maple Leafs...just so you know

August 9th 7pm on the NHL Network...Leafs vs LA...Where Gretzky has a hat trick and leads the Kings to the Finals.

I hear that Kerry Frazier was the ref in that game...is that true?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #739
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey Maple Leafs...just so you know

August 9th 7pm on the NHL Network...Leafs vs LA...Where Gretzky has a hat trick and leads the Kings to the Finals.

I hear that Kerry Frazier was the ref in that game...is that true?

I tried to look this up on Hockey-Reference but discovered that they don't have individual game box scores that go back that far. Too bad.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #740
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That's actually not the Fraser game. That was game six.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-05-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #741
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I still wanted to bring up the pain that festers inside.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #742
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey SR...I was listening to Stan and Guy today and they said that tomorrow is Cindy's 21st birthday. If you tune in tomorrow and call...you can be the lucky fan who gets to call and wish him a happy birthday.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #743
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I have a picture of the first face-off between Lindros and Gretzky, with Kerry Fraser dropping the puck, signed by all 3. How much would ML pay to burn it?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #744
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I have a picture of the first face-off between Lindros and Gretzky, with Kerry Fraser dropping the puck, signed by all 3. How much would ML pay to burn it?
Wow.

Bsak, you want to kick in 1/3 of the price on this?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #745
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Let's do it!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #746
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My only concern is that it will be hard to burn once I'm done peeing on it.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #747
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Can any Leafs fans or Toronto area natives help me out here? I'm looking for some advice on where to buy cheap or face value tickets to a Leafs-Habs game in early November. My buddy and I want to do a Buffalo-Toronto-Hockey Hall road trip but I've heard that Leafs tixs are really hard to buy. Any advice you guys can offer beyond the usual eBay / StubHub stuff?

No offense, but good luck finding cheap Leafs tickets. Cheap and Leafs tickets just don't go together in the same sentence. That's why so many of their fans invade Buffalo three or four times a year to see their team in action.

And that's why I'm able to get a king's ransom when I sell off my Sabres/Leafs games in Buffalo...even charging two-times the face value is a deal for Toronto fans.

You should be able to find tickets at a reasonable price for your stop in Buffalo...they will be completely sold out most likely this year but you can usually comb the net or get a reasonable rate from a scalper in front of the arena.

If not, drop me a line. I have season tix for the Sabres so I can probably sell you a game...among the teams visiting Buffalo in early November are Washington (1st), Atlanta (7th), St. Louis (12th) and Columbus (14th). Philly is in on the 21st.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #748
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey SR...I was listening to Stan and Guy today and they said that tomorrow is Cindy's 21st birthday. If you tune in tomorrow and call...you can be the lucky fan who gets to call and wish him a happy birthday.

So now he can go drinking...how soon until we see a picture like this

...only it's Richards trying to cop a feel of Sid instead.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #749
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sid could only wish he could pull ass like Richards can. Plus there is a bigger pool of women for Richards too. You have the Philly girls and the NJ sluts. Here you just have yinzers.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #750
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
My only concern is that it will be hard to burn once I'm done peeing on it.

How about we stuff it in a bag...crap in it...light it on fire and leave it on Bobby Clarke's steps.