Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #701
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
When I saw that play, all I said was "that settles it. They have to win now. That's just fate."

What a play.

Yep. It is just how it works out. A play like that means you gotta win.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #702
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

One of the greatest performances in Wonderlic Test history.
Fixed that for ya...
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #703
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
As long as whoever the idiot behind "ATreeInNewEngland" creates "A bridge in Seattle". I'm good with this.

Oh, come on, Foz, ATreeInNewEngland is brilliant. Highlight of the thread so far. Even you have to admit that's funny.

And, no, I didn't start that name.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #704
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I agree. The '85 Bears are the best NFL team I have seen in my lifetime.

And come on, how do you top this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNC3...eature=related

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-04-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #705
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
If Asante Samuels makes that interception at the end, everyone is talking about how Brady cemented his reputation as the greatest QB of all time. It bounces off his hands and now Brady's mediocre?

Meh...if he catches that ball, he lands out of bounds. There was no way he catches that ball and gets two feet in. Even coming up short, he didn't land in bounds.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #706
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I am (fwiw I've been a Rams fan since 1968 so I'm not an old AFLer or homer for the Fish).

Wow, really? I thought I was the only old Rams fan around here! I could probably talk to you for days. Did you choose to keep following the team when they moved to St. Louis or did that get in your crawl, too? My "relationship" with the St.Louis Rams remains, umm, "complicated", and to this day, I still do not actively and passionately root for any other team in the NFL (although I don't root for them really either).

Old 02-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #707
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I disagree. What great running game has this guy ever really had? An old Corey Dillon? Kevin Faulk? What dominant offensive line? Not to dig on their lines, which have always been effective and well-coached, but is there a single Hall of Famer on that line in the long run in the past seven years? What great receivers, prior to this year? Troy Brown? Terry Glenn? David Patten?

You're looking for stars and ignoring results. This year the Patriots had the most effective running game in the NFL this year and dating back to '01 have ranked 12th on average. Not bad over a 7 year period. No standout runners, but they've gotten results.

For the last 4 seasons Brady has been protected very, very well. Its necessary because statistically he's one of the worst QBs in the NFL when pressured. What the Pats have done is consistently give him a solid running game and protected him. He's definitely a great QB and he's fortunate enough to be coached by the best staff in the NFL year in and year out.

Everyone knows the key to beating the Pats is to get pressure on Brady, the fact that this is common knowledge and he's still well protected says a lot about the line he plays behind.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #708
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, the post-game comments I saw from the Patriots and they all seemed pretty classy, which is a testament to everyone knowing how big a deal this game was...and how both teams came to play.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #709
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This emphasizes a point for me. I have said in the past that I openly root against the Pats because of their fans. Their fans have actually been really classy tonight.

But my second reason has always been Belichek. The possibility he may have taped the Rams' final walkthrough before the last SB shocker seven years ago is just another big drop in the bucket. I actually like pretty much every Pats player--even Moss. Brady is amazing. Heck, the whole team is amazing.

But I swear Belicheck is pure evil. If he ever leaves the Pats, I will hate the Pats much less, and hate his new team much more.

I agree.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #710
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, the post-game comments I saw from the Patriots and they all seemed pretty classy, which is a testament to everyone knowing how big a deal this game was...and how both teams came to play.

I felt kind of bad for Brady during his press interview. He looked like he really was going to start crying. It was very obvious these guys gave the Giants no chance of winning.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #711
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
This emphasizes a point for me. I have said in the past that I openly root against the Pats because of their fans. Their fans have actually been really classy tonight.

But my second reason has always been Belichek. The possibility he may have taped the Rams' final walkthrough before the last SB shocker seven years ago is just another big drop in the bucket. I actually like pretty much every Pats player--even Moss. Brady is amazing. Heck, the whole team is amazing.

But I swear Belicheck is pure evil. If he ever leaves the Pats, I will hate the Pats much less, and hate his new team much more.

What he said.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #712
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree 100%. The pats fans I have met over the past several years have been the most obnoxious fans I've ever seen. The ones on this board are generally great and have taken this a lot better than most fans would have, given the circumstances.

Now I know Pats fans have defended Belichick by saying just about every team's fans would love to have him as a coach. Before tonight, I could certainly see it. However, he walked out on his team and left his defense to go out for the kneeldown. That is about as low as you can get as a leader. Success or not, there's a lot of coaches I'd take over him right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #713
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Only the 5th Wild Card team to win a Super Bowl. I don't know why I imagined there would be more than that.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #714
bhlloy
Coordinator

An interesting thing I read in a blog this evening that I agree with 100%. Belicheck's decision to leave the field with 2 seconds left once he knew they were going to lose, is even more freaking pathetic when you consider how EVERY SINGLE coach that he ran the score up on earlier in the season in a fit of pique was nothing but classy, stayed until the end and shook his hand after the game.

I agree CR. Can take or leave the Patriots and their players. The coach is a douche and a sore loser, no matter how good he is at his job.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #715
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

How's Archie gotta be feeling to have both of his boys getting titles back to back. Good for him.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #716
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope he loses the respect of his team for leaving early. What a coward. He's the classic rub it in when he wins, but can't take the medicine when he loses.

Poor Junior Seau. He was barely holding himself together in an interview. I would have liked to see him and Welker get a ring -- but not with the Patriots.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #717
Groundhog
Coordinator

That was perhaps my favourite superbowl in recent memory, but then I just love to watch a team win it with defence.

Having said that, A part of me is disappointed for both the Patriots and their fans. Maybe even a little bit for myself, as if they'd won, I'd have been able to say that I saw the greatest team of all-time take out the superbowl. Unfortunately now they are just "one of those teams", and destined for a trivial pursuit question in 20 years time, which isn't fair considering what they've achieved this year, prior to today.

Kudos to Eli Manning as well for proving me wrong and solid game. It may have been the Giants D that was the real MVP, but Manning continued to play far better under pressure than I expected him to.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #718
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

After what Strahan went through last year with his wife selling his stuff in a garage sale in front of his house and calling him gay in court and having the worst pre-nup in the history of rich dudes who plays sports...it's good to see him back on top and to have played well en route.

Man, who knows how Tiki feels. But after all the spouting off he did to start the year, I'm glad he wasn't redeemed.

The perfectville commercials were funny. I wonder what they had setup for if the Patriots won.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 AM   #719
G-Man
High School JV

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Been a Giant's fan since 1966 and this is the greatest win by them in my lifetime!!!
Patriots 18 and...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Oh and the Patriots did not lose this game, the G-Men kicked their tushes all over the field and took it from them!!
What a postseason!! Unbelievable!!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 AM   #720
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Lost in all this argument is the idiotic announcing team suggesting the Giants might punt it on their final drive. That was Maddenesque in its idiocy.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #721
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Not sure if this have been mentioned before but its nice not having to talk about the referees after a Super Bowl (or any game actually). Good job by Mike Carey and his crew.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #722
Jas_lov
College Starter

Ed Hochuli has got nothing on Mike Carey, the best referee in the business hands down. They called a great game tonight and deserve to ref the Super Bowl again next year.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 02-04-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #723
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
Not sure if this have been mentioned before but its nice not having to talk about the referees after a Super Bowl (or any game actually). Good job by Mike Carey and his crew.

+1
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #724
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

...and somewhere out there, Mercury Morris is getting FUCKED UP

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #725
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The perfectville commercials were funny. I wonder what they had setup for if the Patriots won.

Those were funny
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #726
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
For the last 4 seasons Brady has been protected very, very well. Its necessary because statistically he's one of the worst QBs in the NFL when pressured.

Are you kidding me? I'd love to see those stats because every time I watch Brady, I see a guy who 99% of the time who is accurate and makes good decisions, even when under pressure. Yesterday's game is the most inaccurate I remember seeing him play in good weather conditions and he did still manage to complete 60% of his throws with no INT's despite being under heavy pressure all game.

The Patriots obviously have had good teams around him. You can say that about any of the dynasties in the past. I personally think he's had less offensive talent to work with than Bradshaw, Montana, or Aikman did.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #727
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. No reason to pile on. Take the win and move on.

"Take the win"?

Other than the fact the QB happened to have the last name "Manning", I couldn't really care less about the Giants. Our household was quite happy for that whole family last night but let's be real here ... there's a whole lot of the country that's MUCH happier that the Patriots lost than there are that the Giants won.

And that's not taking anything away from the Giants who played one helluva game, but there's not a lot of emotional attachment to them for the majority of the country (same as most other teams). But for the average viewer this one was all about crushing the Patriots' hopes.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #728
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The '72 Dolphins are still an overrated embarrassment.

How? They even lost their starting QB for a significant part of the season. They overcame issues that the 2007 Patriots didn't even have to deal with, and somehow kept winning all the way to the end.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #729
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah it is a thankless job. They would be the first to be criticized if something went wrong, but don't get any praise when they do a good job. Mike Carey and his crew did a great job with the game.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #730
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
"Take the win"?

Other than the fact the QB happened to have the last name "Manning", I couldn't really care less about the Giants. Our household was quite happy for that whole family last night but let's be real here ... there's a whole lot of the country that's MUCH happier that the Patriots lost than there are that the Giants won.

And that's not taking anything away from the Giants who played one helluva game, but there's not a lot of emotional attachment to them for the majority of the country (same as most other teams). But for the average viewer this one was all about crushing the Patriots' hopes.

I couldn't imagine watching a superbowl that way... Even back when the 49ers were in superbowl after superbowl (The 49ers being the one team in the NFL I despise), I usually just didn't watch.

My feeling is the average viewer like myself watched last night just hoping for a good game, and could find reasons to be excited regardless of which team won. I think for the average viewer, last night's super bowl was outstanding, it was an excellent game that didn't have much to overshadow it. The final score actually for once does tell you the story of that game.

I actually am kind of disappointed that the majority of people have made this into a FU to the Pats or their fans or whatever. I think getting lost in all of this is the Giants and their fans. What a game, and what a final last two months for that team. In the end of the season, the Giants won the game with a great running game and excellent defense, the old school way. I'm still not ready to say Eli is a 10 top QB in the NFL just yet, but who cares right now.. he has a super bowl ring.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #731
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
The '72 Dolphins are still an overrated undefeated embarrassment.
Fixed
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #732
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Take that perfect record and shove it up your ass. All up in your ass.

For those of you saying there wasn't much classless going on in this thread. One example.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #733
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I couldn't imagine watching a superbowl that way... Even back when the 49ers were in superbowl after superbowl (The 49ers being the one team in the NFL I despise), I usually just didn't watch.

Hell, I watch most title games "that way".

Off hand I'd say the number of championships -- SB, WS, what have you -- where I've actively rooted for a team as opposed to against a team is pretty small.

Much the same as NASCAR (especially in the past few years), there's very few I find worth cheering for, but there's definitely some I take delight in seeing lose.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #734
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm still wowing over Manning to Tyree pass to set up the winning touchdown.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #735
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I hate football.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #736
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
For those of you saying there wasn't much classless going on in this thread. One example.

I hear there's a book on amazon you might want to preorder. Pretty cheap too...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #737
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Eh, I guess I just put more stock in people being classless toward the fans rather than toward the team. I haven't seen anybody say anything insulting to the Patriots fans here, but - and I guess it's just me - that would bother me a lot more than somebody being rude to the Patriots themselves.

To cthomer, nice place to drop a Rush Hour reference.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 02-04-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #738
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

+3
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #739
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The game was obviously fixed.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #740
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ummm... not to toot my own horn here, but for you guys mentioning Mike Carey here... uhh... I don't exactly know how to say this, but...

Well, that wasn't Mike Carey. That was me.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #741
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just spit my coffee everywhere...thanks Pumpy
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #742
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
An interesting thing I read in a blog this evening that I agree with 100%. Belicheck's decision to leave the field with 2 seconds left once he knew they were going to lose, is even more freaking pathetic when you consider how EVERY SINGLE coach that he ran the score up on earlier in the season in a fit of pique was nothing but classy, stayed until the end and shook his hand after the game.

Is it that big a deal? We don't know what was said between the referee and Bellichick. This wasn't the Pistons walking off the court against the Bulls. Bellichick ran straight for tom coughlin to congratulate him.

The proper way to deal with that, as someone said earlier in the thread, is line up, and score another TD. That's what the Giants should have done, if the game truly had another snap (though there was about 1,000 people on the field at that point - I don't think there was any way there were going to run the last play no matter what Bellichick did)

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2008 at 08:35 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #743
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Is it that big a deal? We don't know what was said between the referee and Bellichick. This wasn't the Pistons walking off the court against the Bulls. Bellichick ran straight for tom coughlin to congratulate him.
As disrespectful as Belichick was to the Giants, he was even more disrespectful to his players who had to go out there onto the field for one more play. It comes off like he's saying, "You guys fucked up and lost us the game. You're on your own for this one." He abandoned his players who probably didn't want to be on that field any more than he did. For someone who supposedly preaches that no individual is bigger than the team, he shot that philosophy down in a heartbeat.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #744
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:

The proper way to deal with that, as someone said earlier in the thread, is line up, and score another TD. That's what the Giants should have done, if the game truly had another snap (though there was about 1,000 people on the field at that point - I don't think there was any way there were going to run the last play no matter what Bellichick did)

Huh? They did run the last play. That's the point. Belichick left the field while his team was still there. They had to stay for the final play and he was already gone.

Subtitled: What Pumpy Said

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 02-04-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #745
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
As disrespectful as Belichick was to the Giants, he was even more disrespectful to his players who had to go out there onto the field for one more play. It comes off like he's saying, "You guys fucked up and lost us the game. You're on your own for this one." He abandoned his players who probably didn't want to be on that field any more than he did. For someone who supposedly preaches that no individual is bigger than the team, he shot that philosophy down in a heartbeat.

give me a break

we colonize mars yet? I think I'm moving there.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #746
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Well said. I find it incredible that anyone is trying to defend Belicheck's leaving the field early.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #747
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Huh? They did run the last play. That's the point. Belichick left the field while his team was still there. THey had to stay for the final play and he was already gone.

Hmmm, you know, those last few minutes are kind of a blur actually. I don't remember a final kneel down, though I remember tons of people on the field with :01, so I probably just missed it.

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2008 at 08:40 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #748
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ticker tape parade it is....
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #749
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I suppose that all of the anti-Pats sentiments (esp. those from NY/NJ) are no different than the many anti-Yankees sentiments that usually come out of the woodworks. It goes with the territory.

Now can we make it the Bolts turn next season, please?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #750
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
give me a break

we colonize mars yet? I think I'm moving there.
I think you've officially crossed over into "let's stop talking about the Patriots" territory.