Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #701
miami_fan
Coordinator

Or one of the greatest GMs ever in the NBA, Jerry West.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #702
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's so odd. In MLB and the NFL, there seems to be a "business" and "analysis" side of the front office so silliness like this doesn't happen. You just don't see players retire, be a token coach/front office schlub for a year, and then take over the most important position in your organization. In the NBA and somewhat in the NHL, this just isn't the case.

SI

it's so stupid. a former player does the commentator circuit, acts like he knows what he's talking about and lands a plum job running a team with no formal front office work whatsoever. i think in the case of Dumars, he didn't do the commentator thing - perhaps he had a prior role in the Pistons front office? i don't know, there's really a void between his playing days and his GM gig.

si: in the "exception to every rule dept", the only NFL exception i can think of is Matt Millen. FOX analyst, and somehow that qualified him to run the Lions.

but yeah, this certainly happens way too much in the NBA. Jordan, McHale, Isaiah, Kerr (?...we'll see, his Shaq trade is what will define his GM career and there's remains much to be seen), Ainge (hey, if all it took was to aquire KG and Allen and hope for the best anyone, yours truly included, could have done that. hey, when tanking doesn't work out for you then you might as well go all in.), Bird (hasn't done SHIT since he took over the Pacers, hasn't aquired anyone big and hasn't drafted anyone of big importance.) Paxson folded and is now on the fast track to a pink slip within the next 2 years. he had the East's best emerging team and he sat on his thumbs and let the Celtics do what he couldn't get the Bulls to do. Danny Ferry makes his 1st big move after having the Cavs running in place. he's on the clock now and everyone will see how aquiring Ben Wallace's fat contract will pan out. he can't claim responsibility for LeBron. i don't think he drafted him, but regardless, picking #1 overall and taking LeBron who is a once in a generation player isn't exactly rocket science.

Chris Mullen has done a great, outstanding job with the Warriors.

not a good track record. that's two players (Dumars and Mullen) in like 10. so there's a 20% chance a former player will be a beneficial hire for a team. you can have the same odds picking anyone who's in a multi-player text sim sports league.

Last edited by Anthony : 03-02-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #703
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are we talking about former players or former star players? Kevin Pritchard is a former player who has done an outstanding job in Portland. Otis Smith has done a nice job in Orlando. For all the shit I have given Mitch Kupchak over the years, he may have pulled off a trade that garners his team a title this year (over a non player I might add) and drafted the next great big man in the league despite being roundly critcized for it. Bryan has it right. Being a former player does not automatically make you a bad GM.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #704
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
it

Chris Mullen has done a great, outstanding job with the Warriors.

Did you see some of the contracts he handed out? 40m to Adonal Foyle? Troy Murphy 6/60ish? Dunleavy Jr 6/50ish? He just got lucky he found teams that were manned by dumber GM's than him to take those guys.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #705
Anthony
Banned

biggest upset in NBA history and a team that no real contender wants to face in the playoffs, not a bad resume.

and i'm talking star players don't equal good GMs. pretty much every GM has been a player (either NBA or in college). you can't major in General Managing, being a player at some point in your life is what gets you through the door. for all their oncourt success, 80% of former players do not make good GMs.

funny how Murphy and Dunleavy went to one of the aforementioned former NBA star GMs. lol
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #706
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bet you could make a flow chart of stupid former player GM's. Ainge was awful, but he got lucky that McHale was dumber than him. Then you have Mullen shitting all over Bird. And Paxson(+everyone else) shitting all over isiah.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #707
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Back to the games...anyone watching the Lakers-Mavs game today, there were a lot of "man, he reminds me of Michael" Kobe moments today.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #708
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

KO-BE!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #709
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Back to the games...anyone watching the Lakers-Mavs game today, there were a lot of "man, he reminds me of Michael" Kobe moments today.

Dare I say that yesterday was a "signature moment" in his MVP season? Kobe really was amazing in the 4th and OT.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #710
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Dare I say that yesterday was a "signature moment" in his MVP season?

You're talking about this play, right?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #711
miami_fan
Coordinator

Only if Deng could have gotten himself in better position. Lebron would have done to him what Vince Carter did to Weis in the Olympics.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #712
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You're talking about this play, right?

In my day they called that "traveling" but I suppose "signature moment" is as good as any.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #713
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The rule is two and a half steps, exactly what LeBron took, is allowed.

I give the MVP so far to James by a nose over Kobe.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #714
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

I don't see where 2.5 steps is defined as legal.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #715
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Plus it looks more like 3 to me anyways.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #716
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Not to take away from Kobe's great season, but if he gets the MVP its based mostly on the players around him improving and the addition of Gasol.

I would say Lebron by a landslide at this point.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #717
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Not to take away from Kobe's great season, but if he gets the MVP its based mostly on the players around him improving and the addition of Gasol.

I would say Lebron by a landslide at this point.

Kobe's weakness in his game was that he couldn't make people better and now that they have improved their game, he doesn't get any credit for it? What more can the guy do?

It'll be an NBA travesty if Lebron ends up with an MVP before Kobe. Once Lebron wins his first one, he probably won't lose another one for a while

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-03-2008 at 12:46 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #718
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I don't see where 2.5 steps is defined as legal.

FWIW, the NBA rules on traveling say nothing about how many steps you can or can not take.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10...av=ArticleList

Quote:
Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #719
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
FWIW, the NBA rules on traveling say nothing about how many steps you can or can not take.

the "two count rhythm" is further defined in that rule. not that I made much attempt to make sense of it.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #720
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Kobe's weakness in his game was that he couldn't make people better and now that they have improved their game, he doesn't get any credit for it? What more can the guy do?

It'll be an NBA travesty if Lebron ends up with an MVP before Kobe. Once Lebron wins his first one, he probably won't lose another one for a while

A travesty?

LeBron averages over 2 ppg more - 30.3 to 28.2

LeBron averages 2 rebounds more per game - 8.1 to 6.1.

LeBron averages 2 assists more per game - 7.5 to 5.4.

LeBron shoots 2 percentage points higher - 48.6% to 46.6%.

LeBron assist to turnover ratio is better - 2.2 to 1.6.

LeBron steals it just as much - 2 per game.

LeBron blocks more shots 1 per game to 0.6.

Most would agree that LeBron doesn't have the talent around him that the Lakers do, particularly post trade. The only travesty would be if LeBron doesn't win this MVP award. He clearly deserves it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #721
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

A foot on the floor increments the "count." So if he picks up the ball with a foot on the floor, that's one. The next foot to hit the floor is two.

Whether Lebron travels or not on that play comes down to where you say he picked up the dribble.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 03-03-2008 at 01:16 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #722
rjolley
College Starter

That didn't look like a travel to me. Lebron crosses over at the top of the key, takes one hard dribble, takes two steps, then is up and floating to the rim. Perfectly leagal. I think where someone may think it's travelling is that he takes a step as the ball hits and comes up. That's not usually considered in the 2 steps to the basket.

It was a great move and was legal.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #723
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
A foot on the floor increments the "count." So if he picks up the ball with a foot on the floor, that's one. The next foot to hit the floor is two.
I'd have to disagree with that. Can't ever remember seeing it called that way. Maybe it's in the interpretation by the refs, but the way I've always noticed it called is the first step after the dribble is picked up is one. At least that's the way my coaches have taught it.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-03-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #724
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I'd have to disagree with that. Can't ever remember seeing it called that way. Maybe it's in the interpretation by the refs, but the way I've always noticed it called is the first step after the dribble is picked up is one. At least that's the way my coaches have taught it.

I think it's largely a matter of when you consider the dribble to be picked up. Here is the wording from the NBA:

Quote:
Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.

(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #725
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing. As he recieves the ball from the floor, his next step would be the first count.

Either way, that move still wasn't travelling.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #726
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Yeah, but who got better? Odom isn't playing any better (more rebounds, FG%, fewer points by 2+, fewer assists, and his a/to is as bad as it's been in LA). Fisher is a carbon copy of his two years in Golden State - same with Radman on his last season in Seattle/LAC. Luke Walton is significantly worse by the #s. Vujacic, Farmar and Bynum are the only ones better - and Bynum's been hurt most of the year. Plus, Sasha and Jordan are just getting more minutes.

The difference for LA has been having a post presence for the first time since Shaq with Bynum. Then, when he went down, they traded their 8th or 9th player for Pau Gasol essentially straight up. You take the 8th or 9th best player on any West contender and swap that guy with Gasol and you have the heavy favorite.

Quote:
The Lakers are the most talented team in the West right now - and they are playing well. The Cavs were so lacking in talent that they essentially reshuffled 4 of their top 7 guys at the deadline. Here's the telling stats:

1. The Cavs are 0-6 in games without Lebron.
2. Not counting those 6, Cavs are 6-8 in games where Lebron scores less than 25 points.
3. LA is 20-4 in games where Kobe scores less than 25 points

With 1-3 taken into account, as well as the level of talent on both teams, LA is 42-18 in games where Kobe plays (70% w). Cleveland is 34-20 in games where Lebron plays (63% w). When you look at players 2-8 on Cleveland, there's no way they should even be in the same stratosphere as LA - yet they are with Lebron.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #727
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Larry Hughes with some comments that solidify the fact that he's a giant dripping turd....

Quote:
“I play to enjoy myself, some people take this the wrong way, but winning a championship is not what I base everything on. I was given an opportunity to play basketball, travel around and have fun doing it and that’s what I want to do. I wouldn’t take being unhappy and not being myself and winning.
I would rather enjoy myself with 18,000-20,000 people watching the game and the people sending fan mail and those things and be happy…I didn’t come here to play the point guard, that’s just it. I came here to run the wing, just like he was running the other wing. I was asked to sacrifice for the team to win and for everybody, I guess, get paid. That is what was told to me and I wasn’t happy with that.”
Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #728
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I think that this is Kobe's year. As great as he and Lebron have played this season, this is Kobe's year. He is the best player on the best team in the NBA. I thought the day would never come, but it's here, right now. I would have thrown my hat in with Garnett, but he's missed enough games to not count.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 AM   #729
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I think that this is Kobe's year. As great as he and Lebron have played this season, this is Kobe's year. He is the best player on the best team in the NBA. I thought the day would never come, but it's here, right now. I would have thrown my hat in with Garnett, but he's missed enough games to not count.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You can compare the stats all you want but when you watch Kobe, you can tell he's playing better then he ever has. The crazy offseason obviously sparked a change in Kobe for the better and the Laker fans can sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #730
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
this is Kobe's year. He is the best player on the best team in the NBA.

First of all, that's a poor criteria for selecting an MVP. Call it MHP if you want(Most Hyped Player), but if you want to find out who the most valuable player is, or if you want to find out who the best player is, whether or not they happen to play on a great team isn't the issue. And while we're on the subject, how do we know the Lakers are the best team? We should put in a call to Stern so he can cancel the playoffs if we can know that information well before they even start.

Kobe clearly is a better defensive player, but in most other areas LeBron is better, with an inferior supporting cast.

Adjusted for pace and a 36-minute standard:

Assists: LeBron 6.79, Kobe 4.86
Rebounds: LeBron 7.29, Kobe 5.48
Blocks: LeBron 0.90, Kobe 0.50
Steals: LeBron 1.77, Kobe 1.76
eFG%: LeBron 56.51%, Kobe 57.94%

Bryant is a little more efficient as a scorer, but the total package? That's James.

Quote:
You can compare the stats all you want but when you watch Kobe, you can tell he's playing better then he ever has.

Except that's not the issue. It isn't whether Kobe is playing better than he ever has, it's whether he's playing better than anyone else is this year.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-04-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #731
MrBug708
Head Coach

But Kobe is essentially the same player doing the same thing when his supporting cast was weaker then Lebron's supporting cast was in a much harder division and yet he received crap about not being able to win enough without Shaq. Now he's winning without Shaq but he isn't the MVP because his team is too good??? What would he do to need to win an MVP? Go 73-9? Lebron gets assists because he's the point forward. Kobe's a SG. Lebron gets rebounds because he's a forward. The fact that Kobe is that close to Lebron in boards should actually be a benefit to Kobe. I mean, Andrew Bynum has some better stats then Lebron does, but no one actually thinks Bynum deserves the award right?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-04-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #732
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But Kobe is essentially the same player doing the same thing when his supporting cast was weaker then Lebron's supporting cast was in a much harder division.

kobe's supporting cast was miles ahead of lebrons, even pre-gasol.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #733
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
kobe's supporting cast was miles ahead of lebrons, even pre-gasol.

Smush Parker? Waste in Miami.
Kwame Brown? Can't even get off the bench in Memphis now
Luke Walton? Good passer, intelligent player, sucks at most else
Brian Cook? Check out Orlando right now
Lamar Odom? Serviceable, but highly inconsistent.

Don't think there was a worse starting lineup last year in basketball. The fact that they made the playoffs was a miracle
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #734
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
But Kobe is essentially the same player doing the same thing when his supporting cast was weaker then Lebron's supporting cast was in a much harder division.
I'm not following. I hope you aren't in a round-about way saying that Hughes+Gooden+Z+Gibson+Damon Jones are on the same level as Bynum/Gasol+Odom+Fisher+Radman+Walton+Farmar.

Again, the best combination of Kobe to Lebron in talent was probably the 10 games when Bynum was out and Gasol wasn't there. In those games, Kobe had Odom, Fisher, Brown, Walton, Radman and Farmar as his support cast. That's fairly comparable to Gooden, Hughes, Z, Gibson, Jones and Devin brown. In those 10 games, LA went 5-5.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #735
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Smush Parker? Waste in Miami.
Kwame Brown? Can't even get off the bench in Memphis now
Luke Walton? Good passer, intelligent player, sucks at most else
Brian Cook? Check out Orlando right now
Lamar Odom? Serviceable, but highly inconsistent.

Odom is a heck of a lot better than serviceable, and far better than anybody LeBron has ever had. During his two playoffs in LA, he's shot 48.9% from the field, 19.25 ppg, 11.8 rpg, and 3.75 apg. Give me a team of such 'serviceable' players and you'll soon be hanging banners.

The worst starting lineup? A little below average supporting cast, but hardly the worst. Probably a good dozen that were worse.

Quote:
Now he's winning without Shaq but he isn't the MVP because his team is too good??? What would he do to need to win an MVP? Go 73-9?

No, he'd need to have greater value than LeBron. This isn't about last year or the year before. It's about this year.

Quote:
Lebron gets assists because he's the point forward. Kobe's a SG. Lebron gets rebounds because he's a forward. The fact that Kobe is that close to Lebron in boards should actually be a benefit to Kobe. I mean, Andrew Bynum has some better stats then Lebron does, but no one actually thinks Bynum deserves the award right?

Oh my. Bynum and LeBron's stats don't even begin to compare. Besides that, Kobe and LeBron both dominate the ball. And if you think 25% less rebounds means Kobe is 'close', then we have different definitions of what close is.

As for what Kobe would need to do to be MVP -- with a far superior supporting cast he should be at least equal to LeBron in assists. If he were slightly ahead in that, I'd probably give him the nod. Given that James has 40% more with less capable targets to pass to(even pre-Gasol), I really don't think it's much of an argument.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #736
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm not following. I hope you aren't in a round-about way saying that Hughes+Gooden+Z+Gibson+Damon Jones are on the same level as Bynum/Gasol+Odom+Fisher+Radman+Walton+Farmar.

Again, the best combination of Kobe to Lebron in talent was probably the 10 games when Bynum was out and Gasol wasn't there. In those games, Kobe had Odom, Fisher, Brown, Walton, Radman and Farmar as his support cast. That's fairly comparable to Gooden, Hughes, Z, Gibson, Jones and Devin brown. In those 10 games, LA went 5-5.

I wasn't talking about this year, I was talking about years past
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #737
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Odom is a heck of a lot better than serviceable, and far better than anybody LeBron has ever had. During his two playoffs in LA, he's shot 48.9% from the field, 19.25 ppg, 11.8 rpg, and 3.75 apg. Give me a team of such 'serviceable' players and you'll soon be hanging banners.

Yup, in the first round of the playoffs, especially two years ago, he has played well.

[quote[The worst starting lineup? A little below average supporting cast, but hardly the worst. Probably a good dozen that were worse. [/quote]

Maybe I should have just done 1-10 or so

Quote:
Oh my. Bynum and LeBron's stats don't even begin to compare. Besides that, Kobe and LeBron both dominate the ball. And if you think 25% less rebounds means Kobe is 'close', then we have different definitions of what close is.

Why not? If you are just using stats alone, Bynum shoots at a much higher percentage, has more blocks, has more rebounds et al...

And yes 25%, considering they play different positions, is close enough. Why would any team want their starting SG crashing the boards? He's third in all guards in rebounding per game. That's why it's close enough. Jason Kidd is first, and Mike Miller is second.

Quote:
As for what Kobe would need to do to be MVP -- with a far superior supporting cast he should be at least equal to LeBron in assists. If he were slightly ahead in that, I'd probably give him the nod. Given that James has 40% more with less capable targets to pass to(even pre-Gasol), I really don't think it's much of an argument.

Again, assists are a nice stat, but do you honestly think if he averaged a few more assists he suddenly becomes better then Lebron? If that's all he needed to do to win the MVP, I think he's done more then enough
Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #738
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
First of all, that's a poor criteria for selecting an MVP.

Are you kidding me?

MVPs since 1980-81:

Year / Name / Team / Team Record (* denotes best record for that year, ^ denotes best record in conference, ~ denotes best record in division)

2006-07 - Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas, 67-15*
2005-06 - Steve Nash, Phoenix, 54-28~
2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix, 62-20*
2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota, 58-24^
2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio, 60-22 *tied with Dallas
2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio, 58-24~
2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia, 56-26^
1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers, 67-15*
1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah, 37-13 *tied with Spurs
1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago, 62-20 *tied with Jazz
1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah, 64-18^
1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago, 72-10*
1994-95 - David Robinson, San Antonio, 62-20*
1993-94 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston, 58-24*
1992-93 - Charles Barkley, Phoenix, 62-20*
1991-92 - Michael Jordan, Chicago, 67-15*
1990-91 - Michael Jordan, Chicago, 61-21^
1989-90 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers, 63-19*
1988-89 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers, 57-25^
1987-88 - Michael Jordan, Chicago - 50-32
1986-87 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers - 65-17*
1985-86 - Larry Bird, Boston, 67-15*
1984-85 - Larry Bird, Boston, 63-19*
1983-84 - Larry Bird, Boston, 62-20*
1982-83 - Moses Malone, Philadelphia, 65-17*
1981-82 - Moses Malone, Houston, 46-36
1980-81 - Julius Erving, Philadelphia, 62-20 *tied with Celtics

For the past 27 seasons, it has, more often than not, been the best player on the best team.

Since the 1980-81 season, the only two players to have won the MVP without their team sitting on top of their division, their conference, or the league, were Moses Malone in 81-82, and Michael Jordan in 87-88.

18 times, since 1980-81, the MVP was the best player on the best team in the league.

5 times, since 1980-81, the MVP was the best player on the best team in their conference.

2 times, since 1980-81, the MVP was the best player on the best team in their division.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #739
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hard to believe Shaq only won it once in his career
Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #740
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
the past 27 seasons, it has, more often than not, been the best player on the best team.

Since the 1980-81 season, the only two players to have won the MVP without their team sitting on top of their division, their conference, or the league, were Moses Malone in 81-82, and Michael Jordan in 87-88.

I was arguing for who it should be, not who it will be. By that criteria, let's give it to KG and forget about Kobe and LeBron.

Quote:
Why not? If you are just using stats alone, Bynum shoots at a much higher percentage, has more blocks, has more rebounds et al...

And yes 25%, considering they play different positions, is close enough. Why would any team want their starting SG crashing the boards? He's third in all guards in rebounding per game. That's why it's close enough. Jason Kidd is first, and Mike Miller is second.

Bynum is not the focal point of the team though. He doesn't shoot that much, he doesn't have anything in the way of assists, etc. Obviously I wouldn't consider a player for MVP who isn't even the best player on his own team.

On the rebounding, they both spend a lot of time on the perimeter offensively. Defensively James as a SF often guards perimeter players as well. There isn't nearly that much of a gap between their opportunities.

Quote:
assists are a nice stat, but do you honestly think if he averaged a few more assists he suddenly becomes better then Lebron? If that's all he needed to do to win the MVP, I think he's done more then enough

That's putting the cart before the horse. I think if he were better than LeBron, he would be averaging more assists. Since scoring-wise they are basically a wash and he has better players to pass to, setting his teammates up for scoring opportunities seems a particularly relevant area to look at to differentiate the players. It's the one where there is the biggest gap. I think that's indicative.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #741
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hard to believe Shaq only won it once in his career

Especially when a guy like Steve Trash won it twice.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #742
Anthony
Banned

i don't care what anyone says, to me KG is the true MVP. what he's done with the Celtics is nothing short of amazing. sure, he's been out a lot, but he TRANSFORMED an entire franchise. that's an MVP.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #743
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was arguing for who it should be, not who it will be. By that criteria, let's give it to KG and forget about Kobe and LeBron.

Like I said earlier, if Garnett didn't miss those 9 games, he would be the runaway winner.

The Spurs and Pistons suffer from the fact that they are too much of a well-oiled machine whose best players aren't shining the most to garner Billups or Duncan the MVP trophy this year.

Which is why Kobe should be the MVP. Not LeBron James and his mediocre Cavs.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #744
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Like I said earlier, if Garnett didn't miss those 9 games, he would be the runaway winner.

The Spurs and Pistons suffer from the fact that they are too much of a well-oiled machine whose best players aren't shining the most to garner Billups or Duncan the MVP trophy this year.

Which is why Kobe should be the MVP. Not LeBron James and his mediocre Cavs.

I realize your advocating Kobe as MVP, but James has missed 6 (I believe) games himself, is there that big of difference between that and the 9 that KG has missed?
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #745
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I realize your advocating Kobe as MVP, but James has missed 6 (I believe) games himself, is there that big of difference between that and the 9 that KG has missed?

And Kobe is playing with a torn finger on his shooting hand.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #746
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post

Miss 3 more, and he's out of the running?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #747
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Nine games. 11% of the season. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Moreover, the Cavs as Arles pointed out have won 63% of their games(34-20) when James plays. That's a pace that would put them four games behind the Lakers. Fundamentally, I just disagree with the idea of basing the MVP on how good the team is.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #748
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Without Al Jefferson the T-Wolves probably only win like 3 games.

Al Jefferson for MVP!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #749
Butter
Coordinator

Plus, Kobe leads the league in dodged rape charges. I mean, that's gotta count for something.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #750
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nine games. 11% of the season. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Moreover, the Cavs as Arles pointed out have won 63% of their games(34-20) when James plays. That's a pace that would put them four games behind the Lakers. Fundamentally, I just disagree with the idea of basing the MVP on how good the team is.

Well, that's the way it works, more often than not. Best player on the best team.

Oh, and the Cavs are 34-26. They are on pace for a 46-win season. The Lakers are on pace for a 57-win season. That's huge margin.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote