Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #701
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Bioshock for the PS3 is quickly becoming the worst-kept secret in the video game industry. Someone dug through the demo code and found multiple PS3 references in the development code. Not sure why the developer left it in there, but they might as well just confirm it's coming. My guess is that MS wants them to hold off to avoid losing any sales to people who own a PS3 or are still trying to decide which console to get.

Didn't realize this was ever really a secret. It's a multi platform game with PC/360 to start and there have never been any claims of being exclusive to one system or the other.

The only thing that's for sure is that there will be a severe time release issue for the PS3. Even if it was announced tomorrow that the game would be on the PS3 next April, I'm not sure how many first person shooter fans would hold off. Maybe a few, but a majority? Doubtful.By the time the game hits for the PS3, most FPS fans will have already played it on either the PC or the 360.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #702
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Bioshock for the PS3 is quickly becoming the worst-kept secret in the video game industry. Someone dug through the demo code and found multiple PS3 references in the development code. Not sure why the developer left it in there, but they might as well just confirm it's coming. My guess is that MS wants them to hold off to avoid losing any sales to people who own a PS3 or are still trying to decide which console to get.

Now all of a sudden you post about Bioshock?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #703
MikeVic
Head Coach

Well, Bioshock was a system seller for a friend of mine. And another said they are considering it. My potential system seller is Rock Band.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #704
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Now all of a sudden you post about Bioshock?

I posted that it likely would be coming to the PS3 a couple of months ago. I was just following that up with more information. There's a separate thread discussing the demo I believe.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #705
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tons of new news coming out of Leipzig.......

Rock Band will not come out in Europe until 2008.

Borderlands developer announces that the Xbox 360 version will require a hard drive to be able to play it. They state that it may create a rift with Microsoft, but there's no other way to get the game to work without a hard drive.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162176

ArmA 2 coming for PS3, 360, PC............

Quote:
Bohemia Interactive announces ARMA 2 (PS3, 360, PC)......

Today at Games Convention in Leipzig, Bohemia Interactive announced ArmA 2, its latest military simulation game for PC DVD-ROM and next generation consoles (originally known also as Game 2).

ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large –scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and enviroments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options.

ArmA 2 is expected to be released in 2008. Full game website will be available soon at www.arma2.com.

New Blacksite 51 Trailer.......

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23835.html

New PS3 video of PES 2008, which should do well against FIFA '08.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/playstatio...or-de-PS3.html

In yet another shocker (not really), FIFA '08 for the PS3 and 360 is running at 60 FPS. This comes as no surprise, considering that their main competitor (PES 2008) runs at 60 FPS. If anything, this only furthers the notion that the EA developers were lazy with Madden/NCAA because there was no competition available.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162169

Screenshots from a new game, 'The Club'.........

http://www.insidegamer.nl/playstatio...b/screenshots/

Video of Operation Flashpoint 2 for the PS3........

http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/operati...on-Rising.html

Hands on of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for the PS3.........

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/814/814426p1.html

Video of the co-op mode in Haze for the PS3.............

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/784/784480/vids_1.html

Video of GT5: Prologue for the PS3........

http://www.jeux-france.com/news21453...-prologue.html
Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #706
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is PES PS3-exclusive?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #707
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Is PES PS3-exclusive?

No, it is for the 360, PS3 and PC. This was the first video released of the PS3 version.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #708
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some news coming out of the ongoing Sony press conference......

-Play TV confirmed for early 2008. Will allow the PS3 to be a single-tuner digital DVR. Initial release will be in PAL territories. Also will allow shows and movies to be loaded directly to the PSP either directly or downloaded remotely.

-EA rep spoke in Sony presentation and has announced that FIFA '08 is the first one of their titles to be developed on the PS3 and will be ported to the 360. This shouldn't be too much of a surprise as this switch-over by EA has been rumored for quite awhile. It also explains why it's running at 60 FPS. Also, there will be a 2008 Interactive World Cup where FIFA '08 users can train and compete over the coming months and 32 finalists will compete in a virtual World Cup next summer. The competition between FIFA '08 and PES 2008 is going to be a good one. It's also great for consumers.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #709
SackAttack
Head Coach

Newly announced Rock Band tracks

* Rolling Stones: “Gimme Shelter”
* Deep Purple: "Highway Star"
* The Clash: “Should I Stay or Should I Go”
* Faith No More: "Epic”
* Smashing Pumpkins: “Cherub Rock”
* Radiohead: “Creep”
* Beastie Boys: “Sabotage”
* Jet: “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”
* OK Go: “Here It Goes Again”
* Nine Inch Nails: “The Hand That Feeds”

Newly announced Guitar Hero III tracks (international)

· Minus Celsius (by Backyard Babies)

· Hier Kommt Alex (by Die Toten Hosen)

· In the Belly of a Shark (by Gallows)

· I’m in the Band (by The Hellacopters)

· Avalancha (by Heroes Del Silencio)

· Take This Life (by In Flames)

· Ruby (by Kaiser Chiefs)

· Closer (by Lacuna Coil)

· Generation Rock (by Revolverheld)

· Mauvais Garcon (by NAAST)

· Radio Song (by Superbus)

I must confess I don't quite know what Activision means by international in the press release; are those the songs that will be common to the various European SKUs, or will the track listing be the same globally, but with international music offerings this time around to nod to the various global territories? The press release seemed to imply those'd be in the domestic version, so...
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #710
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I must confess I don't quite know what Activision means by international in the press release; are those the songs that will be common to the various European SKUs, or will the track listing be the same globally, but with international music offerings this time around to nod to the various global territories? The press release seemed to imply those'd be in the domestic version, so...

They announce that there would be Euro-specific tracks on the European game. I don't know how that relates to what you're mentioning, but the versions will have different tracks. I wouldn't be surprised if those location-specific tracks eventually became downloadable in the other regions.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #711
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quickest turn-around ever. This reminds me of when the MSG4 creators stated that PS3 exclusivity was up in the air, only to reconfirm that it was an exclusive in the Sony press conference the very next day. It would appear that Toshiba showed Mr. Bay the HD version of the 'horse head' scene in 'The Godfather' last night after hearing about his initial comments............

Quote:
Michael Bay HD-DVD post
08/21/2007 07:51 PM
Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-Ray owners, they
were pissed about no Transformers Blu-Ray and I drank the kool aid hook line
and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out
of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is
coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200
mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality
possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate
decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD-DVD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!

Michael Bay
Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #712
Synovia
High School Varsity

what a bitch. Talk about having NO spine
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #713
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like someone got video of the new MGS4 trailer.......

http://kotaku.com/gaming/breaking/me...?autoplay=true
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #714
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
-Play TV confirmed for early 2008. Will allow the PS3 to be a single-tuner digital DVR. Initial release will be in PAL territories. Also will allow shows and movies to be loaded directly to the PSP either directly or downloaded remotely.

Will it record HD? Assuming the interface doesn't suck (big assumption), that plus Blu-ray would make the PS3 a pretty nice purchase at $400 even if you have very little or no interest in gaming...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #715
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Will it record HD? Assuming the interface doesn't suck (big assumption), that plus Blu-ray would make the PS3 a pretty nice purchase at $400 even if you have very little or no interest in gaming...

From Blu-Ray.com

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment has announced PlayTV, a device that, when coupled with a PS3, turns the machine into a full digital video recorder (DVR). The device, which currently doesn't have a price or release date, will feature two high definition TV tuners that will allow users to record and/or watch two separate HD video streams on their PS3s.

The add-on will of course make use of the PSP connectivity by allowing users to record HD or SD shows on their PS3s, and then watch them on their PSPs. And because PlayTV is part of the PlayStation 3 family, it will be fully upgradeable with new features through PlayStation Network.

The best high definition media device just got better.

Edit to note that this article mentions two tuners rather than just one, and all opinions contained in the article are definitely that of the author's I do think this has the potential to be a very nice addon, and assuming that I'm reading this correctly and that you'll be able to download firmware updates through the ps3 for it, another check mark in their favor assuming (big assumption) that it doesn't come out riddled with issues.

Last edited by Travis : 08-22-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #716
MikeVic
Head Coach

I wonder how much with PlayTV thing will cost? $200? $100? $50?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #717
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually, the developers have already shot this down. The code was developed on the unreal engine and that code has references to the PS3. Maybe this is just them covering their asses, until they are allowed to announce a PS3 version, but this "evidence" has already been shot down. I'm willing to bet that if MS has the developers holding off on announcing a PS3 version until after Christmas that this game will be part of the reason for a nice boost to 360 sales.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #718
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Actually, the developers have already shot this down. The code was developed on the unreal engine and that code has references to the PS3. Maybe this is just them covering their asses, until they are allowed to announce a PS3 version, but this "evidence" has already been shot down. I'm willing to bet that if MS has the developers holding off on announcing a PS3 version until after Christmas that this game will be part of the reason for a nice boost to 360 sales.

I don't think there's any question that they're covering their a$$ on this. With that said, it won't come out until next spring at the very earliest. It's a very good game and will help the 360 without a doubt. I spoke to someone who had preview/review copies of both Halo 3 and Bioshock and they said that Halo 3 may sell more games due to name alone, but that he had no doubt that Bioshock was the better game.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-22-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #719
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This hasn't been confirmed, but is a rumor on the features being added to the 360 in the fall. IPTV should be a huge addition:

• Compatibility with 3rd party wireless controllers
  • Compatibility with messenger pad
  • Xbox Live Vision firmware upgrade, sharper image filtering
  • Many more Vision Cam settings
  • New screensaver settings - when away from Xbox 360, screensaver will play for optional time, before screen goes dark
  • New Xbox Live Arcade blade - where you can download, play and learn about Xbox Live Arcade
  • Brand new “web based adver-games” flash games which aren’t downloaded, but are playable bite sized games, accessed via new Xbox Live Arcade Blade
  • New Screensaver option in Themes and Gamer Pics option in Marketplace blade
  • New functionality with Messenger, works with chatpad
  • New XNA Game Launcher for those that have the program, new options
  • New language, time and date settings
  • New “advertising opportunities” in gameplay
  • Xvid support
  • New “favourites” option via Xbox Live Arcade, can rate according to preference
  • IPTV Functionality - support for TiVo like PVR options. Will be able to record TV direct. Options include source by channel, director, actor and distributor
  • Filter friends list, will be able to filter friends via games
  • New clan support - will be able to launch clan games direct from dashboard, can “fold” friends into new clan category in friends list
  • Better translations in settings and other options for Japanese, German and Spanish languages
  • New quick option to delete via X Button in memory viewer.
  • Option for having downloadable In-game content not inform when completed download
  • Option for having video content not inform when completed download
  • Faster settings for viewing unfinished video content downloads
  • New option in Games tab - beta and others, will be launcher for MMO and multiplayer betas
  • New option in Marketplace Games tab, search by letter, can be inputted via text pad or console
  • Smarter game settings - you can be messaged via publishers about new in-game content for your games
  • Picture in picture functionality for DVD Drive and some other updated settings
  • Improved USB Keyboard settings
  • Improved voice chat settings in game and from dashboard
  • Faster response times to Redeem Code settings
  • Option to play a Redeemed Code game straight after redeeming code
  • Console will now recognise low Hard Drive space, will inform you immediately if can’t download current item, will automatically download next available that is able.
  • Increased space size for gamerpics and dashboard themes
  • Themes can now be animated
  • Themes may now have sound effects
  • Better slideshow capabilities, new options added. New sound effects and integration with Hard Drive/ PC music capable.
  • New estimated timer for downloads, informing how long download will expect to take
Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #720
TroyF
Coordinator

I like that last one. I hope the estimated timer is like it is for Windows.

30 minutes, 4 hours, 10 minutes, 2 hours 30 minutes, DONE.

Woo hoo.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #721
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I like that last one. I hope the estimated timer is like it is for Windows.

30 minutes, 4 hours, 10 minutes, 2 hours 30 minutes, DONE.

Woo hoo.

LOL......nice. It sometimes feels like a warped game watching those estimates bounce all over the place.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #722
MikeVic
Head Coach

So you could use a 360 as a PVR for free, while you have to purchase something extra for the PS3 to get the same functionality? Am I reading this correctly?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #723
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So you could use a 360 as a PVR for free, while you have to purchase something extra for the PS3 to get the same functionality? Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, that is my understanding as well. To be fair, you'll probably want to buy a bigger harddrive for the 360 if you are going to record any significant amount of TV or buy a 360 that comes with the bigger harddrive.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-22-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #724
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, that is my understanding as well. To be fair, you'll probably want to buy a bigger harddrive for the 360 if you are going to record any significant amount of TV or buy a 360 that comes with the bigger harddrive.

I think I would likely pick up a bigger HDD for my PS3 as well if I decided to use it as a PVR. The HDD's on the PS3 are obviously cheaper than the 360 counterparts, so it all evens out if you have to get a tuner. I wouldn't think the tuner would cost all that much given that the technology is readily available and isn't all that expensive anymore. It's still going to be a MUCH cheaper option than a stand-alone HD PVR.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #725
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
No, it is for the 360, PS3 and PC. This was the first video released of the PS3 version.

PES for Wii in Q1 2008 with Wii specific features, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #726
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Guys on OS pointed this out and sure enough I just checked my box. The Bioshock box says right on the front that the game is only on the PC and 360. It doesn't have a disclaimer that says "right now" or any other sort. Therefore, I seriously doubt Bioshock will ever come to the PS3. It was originally slated for the PS3 (before MS reportedly gave 2k a large sum of money to support development) in 06 which might also explain that bit of code being left in which fueled this rumor.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #727
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Guys on OS pointed this out and sure enough I just checked my box. The Bioshock box says right on the front that the game is only on the PC and 360. It doesn't have a disclaimer that says "right now" or any other sort. Therefore, I seriously doubt Bioshock will ever come to the PS3. It was originally slated for the PS3 (before MS reportedly gave 2k a large sum of money to support development) in 06 which might also explain that bit of code being left in which fueled this rumor.

When the developers were asked about it, they gave the 'we just want to concentrate on the current development platforms' answer without any absolute denial. Certainly not confirmation, but definitely not denial either. I'd be floored if this game wasn't out for the PS3 by the holidays next year, if not sooner. Time will tell.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #728
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
PES for Wii in Q1 2008 with Wii specific features, too.

The Madden release this year showed just how little interest there is in third party games for the Wii that are available on the PS3/360 as well. No one outside of people that own only the Wii are going to buy that game. But it is nice for the Wii-only owners.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #729
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Madden release this year showed just how little interest there is in third party games for the Wii that are available on the PS3/360 as well. No one outside of people that own only the Wii are going to buy that game. But it is nice for the Wii-only owners.

Madden hasn't ever sold well on a Nintendo console. Ever. Go find me a game that's not a sports game that's cross platform and make a valid comparison. There are some out there and they will prove your point much more than that glorified $50 roster update a lot of idiots buy every year.

The bigger problem for the Wii is that some companies will half-ass their port over to the Wii and then, in a moment of self-fulfilling prophecy, mention how it didn't sell. That's what Nintendo really needs to address.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #730
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

2k Sports are also bringing a Top Spin game to Wii, developers are finally starting to get with the program. I'm desperate for a fully-fledged proper tennis game.

Good news also about PES so Wii owners have another choice in addition to the average FIFA games, but personally I think PES is one of those games that needs a lot of buttons. Unless they surprise me with the controls I would hope for Wavebird/classic controller options. Motion controls are superior for sports like tennis, golf, baseball etc. but I'll see it when I believe it for soccer.

If next-gen PES is a slam dunk this year unlike last year's 360 version that'd be the only reason for me to buy a PS3 before 2008. PES is one of my favorite series.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #731
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Madden hasn't ever sold well on a Nintendo console. Ever. Go find me a game that's not a sports game that's cross platform and make a valid comparison. There are some out there and they will prove your point much more than that glorified $50 roster update a lot of idiots buy every year.

The bigger problem for the Wii is that some companies will half-ass their port over to the Wii and then, in a moment of self-fulfilling prophecy, mention how it didn't sell. That's what Nintendo really needs to address.

SI

Top Spin and the Brunswick Bowling game are both multi-platform and will sell very well. The vast majority of the major sports aren't made for Wii-style game play and are going to fail miserably. Golf is the other sport that could do well on the Wii if done well.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #732
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Top Spin and the Brunswick Bowling game are both multi-platform and will sell very well. The vast majority of the major sports aren't made for Wii-style game play and are going to fail miserably. Golf is the other sport that could do well on the Wii if done well.

With an install base of over 10 million units that continues to grow daily, there are plenty of sports that could sell on the Wii if done well. Hell, any game could sell well on it if it was done right. The 360/PS3 are going to get the vast majority of the development time from the big companies for sports games. That leaves the door wide open for different companies with fresh ideas to create some games for the Wii.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #733
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
With an install base of over 10 million units that continues to grow daily, there are plenty of sports that could sell on the Wii if done well. Hell, any game could sell well on it if it was done right. The 360/PS3 are going to get the vast majority of the development time from the big companies for sports games. That leaves the door wide open for different companies with fresh ideas to create some games for the Wii.

I think that developers need to think 'outside the box' to really find success on the Wii. Right now, most of the games they're getting are ports that were made to use motion control. Until we start seeing more Wii-specific franchises, that's not going to happen.

Brunswick Bowling and Top Spin are going to be excellent tests to see if third party games developed with the Wii in mind can succeed. If they get bad sales figures, it's a pretty good sign that it's going to be primarily a first-party game console, much like the Gamecube.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-23-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #734
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Oh, dear Lord. Folklore demo to be released on the PS3 this afternoon. I'm ready for work to be over already. *****drooling*****
Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #735
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SCEE chief says no price cuts in PAL territories. More bundles will be offered to increase value of console purchase.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28006
Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #736
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One of the first Heavenly Sword reviews is out. Keeping in mind that IGN generally inflates scores a bit, it got a 7 out of 10. The main strength is that it's a "gorgeous" game, but they have several significant criticisms of the gameplay and the game only took 6-7 hours to beat. Also, they say it became boring in that 6 to 7 hours. It doesn't sound like it will provide the huge boost to the PS3 that Sony was looking for:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/815/815031p1.html

Added: Here are the closing remarks:

So, all that in mind, is Heavenly Sword a bad game? No, it’s not – although it certainly seems that someone, somewhere, forgot to ensure they were piling those glorious peripheral trimmings on a game worthy of all that Sony gold. Combat is undoubtedly the title’s strength and offers some immensely satisfying thrills when you actually get your hands on your sword. Projectile combat, too, is entertaining in its own right – although nowhere near enough to carry such lengthy sequences as is demanded here. What you’re paying for then with Heavenly Sword is the grandiose spectacle, the overblown production values and the chance to show just what your PS3’s capable of when given the chance. It’s a benchmark in presentation for console gaming and the lavishness of the show might well be enough for you to overcome the game’s significant failings. There’s definitely some kind of fun to be had here – albeit of the one-engaged brain cell variety – but make no mistake: Heavenly Sword takes the age-old mantra of style over substance and drags it kicking and screaming into the next generation.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-23-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #737
twothree
College Prospect

July console sales numbers for the United States as reported by NPD...

Wii - 425,000
DS - 405,000
PS2 - 222,000
PSP - 214,000
360 - 170,000
PS3 - 159,000
GBA - 87,000

And, it is still good to be Nintendo. The Wii finally beat the DS in terms of units sold in a month, I believe. At least the 360 and PS3 are still doing better than the GBA. Hee-ho.

Now back to playing some Persona 3 on my PS2.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #738
twothree
College Prospect

Source of NPD numbers

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17247
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #739
wade moore
lolzcat

Every now and then I wonder if Sony would have been better as a business if they just waited a year or two to release a next-gen console.. I mean.. the PS2 is STILL outselling the 360 and PS3? That is so many levels of absurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #740
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
July console sales numbers for the United States as reported by NPD...

Wii - 425,000
DS - 405,000
PS2 - 222,000
PSP - 214,000
360 - 170,000
PS3 - 159,000
GBA - 87,000

And, it is still good to be Nintendo. The Wii finally beat the DS in terms of units sold in a month, I believe. At least the 360 and PS3 are still doing better than the GBA. Hee-ho.

Now back to playing some Persona 3 on my PS2.

Isn't it traditional to start a new thread for this kind of thing?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #741
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

3 out of the 4 weeks for the NPD period, the PS3 price drop was in effect. Not being able to pass the 360 this month is a disaster for them, especially when August will have the 360 price drop with Halo 3 following the month after that. The PS3 might get the second spot worldwide but I think it will have a hard time passing XBox 360 in North America. It will take Sony years to get down to $299.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #742
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
3 out of the 4 weeks for the NPD period, the PS3 price drop was in effect. Not being able to pass the 360 this month is a disaster for them, especially when August will have the 360 price drop with Halo 3 following the month after that. The PS3 might get the second spot worldwide but I think it will have a hard time passing XBox 360 in North America. It will take Sony years to get down to $299.

Absolutely. Most of the analysts thought the PS3 would pass the 360 this month due to the price drop boost. With the 360 dropping in price in August, becoming more reliable, and having some more great games coming out this has to be a blow to Sony morale (at least if they are smart enough to realize how bad these numbers look for them ever gaining market share.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-24-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #743
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
One of the first Heavenly Sword reviews is out. Keeping in mind that IGN generally inflates scores a bit, it got a 7 out of 10. The main strength is that it's a "gorgeous" game, but they have several significant criticisms of the gameplay and the game only took 6-7 hours to beat. Also, they say it became boring in that 6 to 7 hours. It doesn't sound like it will provide the huge boost to the PS3 that Sony was looking for:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/815/815031p1.html

Actually, that's not totally correct. The US reviewers generally inflate scores quite a bit. That article is actually a direct copy of the UK IGN review, which is known for being very critical in most of its game reviews. Some of their criticism may be perfectly valid, but the number score should not be compared to US IGN scores, but rather UK IGN scores if you want a valid comparison. A 8.5-9.0 on UK IGN is considered about as good as it gets.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #744
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

But that's a very closed view of the economic system. These companies aren't just making money in North America. It's fine if Microsoft wants to lay claim that they're at least defending their home turf, but they're getting beat by 50-60K units a month in the rest of the world, where the price difference between the PS3 and 360 is even more than it is in the U.S.

Also, Sony shouldn't have any issues getting down to $299 by the holiday season of 2009. The prices on components, especially the Blu-ray components which make up quite a bit of the cost, are dropping like a rock due to increased supply. So if you meant 2 years when you said 'years', then I agree.

There's no question that it's a disappointment that the PS3 didn't pass the 360 in the U.S. to Sony.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-24-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #745
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just went to their site, and rather than debate with you whether they inflate scores or not, I'll point out they have over 2 dozen titles with a higher score that have come out in the last 2 weeks. Bioshock got a 9.7 and was the highest score over there in a long time, but they have plenty of other games that have high scores. Heck, the PS3 version of Madden got a higher score than Heavenly Sword.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-24-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #746
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Heck, the PS3 version of Madden got a higher score than Heavenly Sword.

I'd say that's a criticism of their reviews all on its own.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #747
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd say that's a criticism of their reviews all on its own.

Not at all, they seem to be good in that they are in line with most media sites in their reviews. It speaks more to the fact that a 7.0 is not a good score and I'd expect to see more luke warm reviews of Heavenly Sword which if it happens is another blow for Sony since they have been hyping this game so much and are counting on it to be a marquee title.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #748
spleen1015
Coordinator

Things that never change....

Death
Taxes
And Mizzou Fan keeps drinking the kool-aid.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #749
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not a dola -

In comparing the UK ign scores and the US Ign scores, most of the reviews are identical in scoring and in the content. So, your argument that only the US ign inflates scores is wrong.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-24-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #750
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But that's a very closed view of the economic system. These companies aren't just making money in North America. It's fine if Microsoft wants to lay claim that they're at least defending their home turf, but they're getting beat by 50-60K units a month in the rest of the world, where the price difference between the PS3 and 360 is even more than it is in the U.S.

Also, Sony shouldn't have any issues getting down to $299 by the holiday season of 2009. The prices on components, especially the Blu-ray components which make up quite a bit of the cost, are dropping like a rock due to increased supply. So if you meant 2 years when you said 'years', then I agree.

There's no question that it's a disappointment that the PS3 didn't pass the 360 in the U.S. to Sony.

Yeah, PS3 is beating XBox360 in Europe and the 360 is essentially dead in Japan, in these threads the focus seems to be on US sales. I wrote that the PS3 might get the number two spot worldwide, it's probably more likely than that, maybe 70% chance as a speculative guess.

Given the average lifespan of consoles (yeah I know Sony said they have a ten year plan for the PS3, I'm not going to try to predict where videogames will be in 2016) is 5-7 years, the 2009 holiday season is a long way away. That would be three years the product has been on the market before hitting something that is close to a mass market price.

I think wade moore had an interesting point a few posts up, what if Sony had launched the PS3 this November instead of last? The cost could have been lower, it could have launched with Resistance, Motorstorm, NG: Sigma, Ratchet and Clank, Hot Shots 5, Heavenly Sword, etc. and maybe even the ShockAxis controller. It might have been worth the 4.x million sales they have up to now if they could have launched from a better position.