Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #701
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This makes me happy.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/233205

Scott Clemmensen may not have been able to help the Maple Leafs into the playoffs last season, but he'll get a chance to help them more directly now.

According to Star sources, the former New Jersey Devils goaltender has signed a two-way contract with the Leafs and is expected to be the club's No. 3 goaltender this season, working with the AHL Toronto Marlies alongside youngster Justin Pogge.

Clemmenson, 29, has backed up Vezina Trophy winning goalie Martin Brodeur for parts of five seasons, playing only six games last season and 13 the year before.

On the final day oflast season, with the Leafs needing New Jersey to beat the New York Islanders to get into the playoffs, the Devils gave Clemmensen the start and he played well enough to push the game to a shootout, which was won by the Islanders.

The Boston College grad, a native of Des Moines, Iowa, will replace Jean-Sebastien Aubin and J.F. Racine on the Leaf goaltending depth chart.
Clemmensen was made expendable in New Jersey when the Devils signed the more experienced Kevin Weekes as an unrestricted free agent this week.

This is actually not a bad move by the Leafs.Clemmenson will back up Pogge in the AHL and perhaps tutor him a bit....and if the Leafs get an injury in net with the big club they won't have to interupt Pogges' season in the minors.Also if the Leafs happen to unload Razor they have a capable back-up in place.

I have a feeling with Weekes in NJ now that Brodeur may only play 65 or so games....which in the long run will help him stay a bit fresher.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #702
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Was that before the Hurricanes signed Federov to the deal with the ridiculous accelerator if he played in a conference finals game?

In 1997, the New York Rangers signed centre Joe Sakic to a three-year, $21 million offer sheet that was matched by the Colorado Avalanche. The following year, the Carolina Hurricanes put out a six-year, $38 million offer sheet for Sergei Fedorov, and the Detroit Red Wings were quick to match as well.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #703
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
In 1997, the New York Rangers signed centre Joe Sakic to a three-year, $21 million offer sheet that was matched by the Colorado Avalanche.

Someone in the NY media had the bright idea to try to organize a boycott from Ranger fans of "Air Force One" when it was released that summer, because (either at the time, or still) of the relation between the production company for the movie and the owners of the Avs. By boycotting, there would be much less money for Colorado to have to sign Sakic!

It took like a day for them to match.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #704
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ping CR - we have also signed Maxim Kondriatev to come over from Russia for this season, meaning that we can probably stick a fork in Niedermayer's career. I don't think we sign another defensemen if Brian Burke hasn't conceded that we won't have him for next year.

It also means that Jackman and DiPenta won't be back I'd have imagined, unless Kondratiev is being signed for a year in the AHL.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #705
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ping CR - we have also signed Maxim Kondriatev to come over from Russia for this season, meaning that we can probably stick a fork in Niedermayer's career. I don't think we sign another defensemen if Brian Burke hasn't conceded that we won't have him for next year.

It also means that Jackman and DiPenta won't be back I'd have imagined, unless Kondratiev is being signed for a year in the AHL.

Yeah, and saw the Kondratiev signing. I thought he was going to be our sixth until we got Hnidy. I think he's likely on a two-way, and will play at the AHL level unless we need him. I have been figuring since the Hnidy signing that both of those guys (Jakman and DiPenta) were dust for sure.

I think Nieds is done, but I don' tthink this means anything. I think Burke is taking Nieds advice and going forward like he's not coming back--but that that's separate from Niedermayer's actual decision which is still forthcoming.

I'm more concerned to figure out what's going on with Teemu right now.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #706
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings go Back To The Future...

As per a release from the Wings this morning, the team has agreed to contract terms with forward Dallas Drake on a one-year contract. Additional terms of the deal are not available.

"We're very pleased to have Dallas join the Red Wings," said Holland. "He's a very physical player who will add grit to our lineup and make our team even more difficult to play against. He's a veteran player and you can never have enough experience and leadership on a team."

In 14 NHL seasons, Drake has appeared in 944 NHL games, tallying 174 goals, 297 assists for 471 points and 844 penalty minutes
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #707
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dallas Drake? They still make that? What's next? A Jyrki Lumme signing?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #708
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Back when he was with the Jets, Dallas Drake became a charter member of the "Guys Who Weren't Very Tough Who For Some Reason Decided to Try to Fight Wendel Clark and Almost Died" hall of fame.

His bust will be right next to the David Maley Memorial exhibit.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #709
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Back when he was with the Jets, Dallas Drake became a charter member of the "Guys Who Weren't Very Tough Who For Some Reason Decided to Try to Fight Wendel Clark and Almost Died" hall of fame.

Soooo, exactly how high is this pedestal that you have Wendel Clark on?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #710
Travis
Pro Rookie

So the Islanders have named Guerin their new captain. Not a bad choice, but wasn't a move I can say I was anticipating when they got him.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #711
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

back when Derek Sanderson was in the NESN booth for Bruins' games, he once rambled that "Dallas Drake" was an excellent hockey name.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #712
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

It's so high that only Clark himself can reach it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #713
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Old 07-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #714
bbor
Pro Starter

AHAHAHAh....Brutal knee by Fetisov and a brutal 2 hander to the head by Clark.

Now THAT is hockey Gary Buttman.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #715
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
AHAHAHAh....Brutal knee by Fetisov
What? Dude, watch it again. According the commentators, it was an epic open ice hit that just missed. My guess is a young Scott Stevens witnessed it and learned from it.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #716
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Yeah, OK, I don't like where this thread is going. Let's talk about Scott Clemmensen some more.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #717
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Awesome! One-punch KO.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #718
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
What? Dude, watch it again. According the commentators, it was an epic open ice hit that just missed.

Who cares what the commentators said, the replay shows Fetisov lunging forward, missing Clark, then kicking his legs out to try and trip him. Sure, could've been a big hit but turned into a bush league move instead. Fetisov deserved the lumber and the black eye.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #719
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I doubt the two incidents are related, but Scotty Bowman was rumored to have once referred to Dallas Drake as "the dumbest player in the league."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #720
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pens signed Crosby 5 year extension, 45M
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #721
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I doubt the two incidents are related, but Scotty Bowman was rumored to have once referred to Dallas Drake as "the dumbest player in the league."
Brain damage is a terrible thing.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #722
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post

Wow. $9 million a year. Well, I can't really argue with that. He's the best player in the league and will now be paid like it. It makes sense. While it's rare for a non UFA (or potential UFA) to make that kind of money, I don't think there will be too much complaining about it in the sense it throws the salary structure out of whack.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #723
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Well the Pens had to do something or the teams would be lining up next year to give Crosby the max offer sheet.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #724
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Vitaly Vishnevski is a Devil. 3 years, $1.4 million a year deal.

I always liked Vishnevski in concept, but the fact that Nashville made a deal with him and then never really played him does raise questions. Oh well, it's a short deal, not too much many, and the Devils have plenty of cap space and a need, so it makes sense.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #725
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well the Pens had to do something or the teams would be lining up next year to give Crosby the max offer sheet.

It's a good deal. About halfway through the contract, I am sure Crosby at $9 million will be considered one hell of a bargain.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #726
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Actually $43M...but what's $400K of cap space?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07191/800623-100.stm
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #727
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe he can finally afford to move out of Mario's house.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #728
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Maybe he can finally afford to move out of Mario's house.

And Malkin and Staal can crash at his place, and leave Gonchar and Recchi alone.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #729
SteelerFan448
High School JV

They had local Penguins beat writer Rob Rossi from the Tribune Review and he was already talking about the Pens trading Malkin 3-4 years down the road, while keeping the likes of Crosby, Whitney, Fleury, and Staal. He compared Crosby, Malkin, and Staal to Mario, Jagr, and Ron Francis, which I feel is a pretty good comparison. Pretty funny though how far down the line he is projecting the Pens moving Malkin.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #730
Travis
Pro Rookie

Don't forget Espo in there now too.

So disgusting.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #731
bbor
Pro Starter

Question is in 3 years can they afford to pay Crosby,Staal,Fluery and Espo for the 30 mil it will prolly cost them?

Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #732
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Question is in 3 years can they afford to pay Crosby,Staal,Fluery and Espo for the 30 mil it will prolly cost them?

Don't forget Whitney...and if this new arena doesn't happen...forget about them even being in Pittsburgh in 3 years!!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #733
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Don't forget Whitney...and if this new arena doesn't happen...forget about them even being in Pittsburgh in 3 years!!

The new arena is happening. They also recently signed Whitney to a 6-year $24 million deal. Considering Crosby set the bar as far as the pay scale goes, the Pens should be able to keep their core, including Fleury, Staal, and Malkin (at least in the near future) in tact. Ray Shero is building from within, which is why you only saw the Pens sign two free agents to short, relatively cheap contracts and not overpay. He is doing this so the Penguins can keep their young stars.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #734
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
He is doing this so the Penguins can keep their young stars.

Great theory...let's see if he can execute it.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #735
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Shanahan is officially back with the Rangers.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #736
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Espo will still be on his entry deal in 3 years...he's not making the roster this season without a HUGE camp.

Whitney, as posted earlier, is signed to a 6 year deal. So he and Sid will both be UFA's in 2013, but they are locked up until then.

And Staal and Fleury have really done nothing to prove they'll command anywhere close to the max amount. Good, maybe very good, players, but certainly not elite.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #737
Karim
College Starter

Does this set the bar for Ovechkin? Can he demand as much or more than Crosby? Does he wait for an offer sheet?

I heard an interesting discussion today, asking who in the NHL would you pay to see. The only players "worthy" of that distinction for me are Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Sakic (still). There really isn't anyone else out there that peaks my interest.

Last edited by Karim : 07-10-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #738
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Espo will still be on his entry deal in 3 years...he's not making the roster this season without a HUGE camp.

Whitney, as posted earlier, is signed to a 6 year deal. So he and Sid will both be UFA's in 2013, but they are locked up until then.

And Staal and Fleury have really done nothing to prove they'll command anywhere close to the max amount. Good, maybe very good, players, but certainly not elite.

Staal will be a 7 mil player by then....Fluery a 5 mil player.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #739
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
Does this set the bar for Ovechkin? Can he demand as much or more than Crosby? Does he wait for an offer sheet?

I think Ovechkin is establishing himself as one of the best goal scorers in the league. I think he could make a case for getting numbers near Crosby's.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #740
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Staal will be a 7 mil player by then....Fluery a 5 mil player.

Staal has two more seasons on his entry deal. IF, and that's a huge IF, he's commanding $7M after that, that should be nowhere near the max.

More likely is he'll get a one year deal in 09-10 if he goes to arbitration, and won't see a big money/long term deal until 10-11, he's fifth year in the league.

Then again....people are paying Chris Drury $7M a year.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #741
Pyser
Pro Rookie

nj papers are saying the devils are very interested in yashin.

not too thrilled about that.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #742
MikeVic
Head Coach

Do they still have Mogilny? He can play with Yashin.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #743
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I found this somewhat amusing. I loved the Transformers cartoon and toys when I was a kid.

hxxp://www.lcshockey.com/content/071107.asp

That there "Transformers" moving picture show is making all sorts of money. I haven't seen it, but I loved myself some Transformers back in the day. And since I tend to think in terms of hockey, I started wondering about the similarities between Transformers and certain NHL players.

Optimus Prime

AUTOBOTS

Optimus Prime: He's the leader of the Autobots and arguably the best Transformer. Sidney Crosby would be the first name that comes to mind, but Sid's kind of young. Optimus Prime is more of a veteran leader. Mario Lemieux would have made the prefect Optimus. Or Steve Yzerman. Ron Francis. Of current NHLers, though, I'd say Joe Sakic is the closest.

Bumblebee: In the cartoons, Bumblebee was always the scrappy little guy trying to prove his worth to the older Autobots. Now that's Crosby. But in winning the Art Ross, Hart, and Lester Pearson last season, Sid may have gone from Bumblebee to Optimus Prime.

Jetfire

Ratchet: Ratchet's an ambulance. No doubt, he's Peter Forsberg.

Jetfire: Aw, he was a bad man. Big, sleek, and powerful, Jetfire was the definition of cool, even if he did rip off Robotech. I'm gonna go with Vincent Lecavalier on this one.

Cliffjumper: A little red buggy, Cliffjumper was always eager to mix it up with the big boys, using his speed and aggression to his advantage. Sounds like Martin St. Louis to me.

Mirage: He's a fancy Formula-1 racecar who can disappear at will. It's like Joe Thornton has a twin.

Mirage

Bluestreak: He never shuts up. He yaps and yaps and yaps. Put Elisha Cuthbert next to him and you couldn't tell the difference between Bluestreak and Sean Avery.

Prowl: A police cruiser, Prowl was the ultimate defender of the law. And if you want someone to enforce justice, look no further than Derek Boogaard.

Dinobots: Chris Chelios, Dominik Hasek, Ed Belfour, and Jeremy Roenick. They could also double for the Golden Girls.

DECEPTICONS

Megatron

Megatron: I think Brian Burke would make the best Megatron. They're both evil geniuses who believe
in brutality.

Starscream: Starscream was Megatron's right-hand man. So who better to support Burke than Chris Pronger?

Soundwave: The Decepticons' communications expert, Soundwave
transforms into a boombox and is hated even amongst his fellow comrades for his eavesdropping and manipulative ways. Basically, he's a robotic Mike Keenan.

Rumble: One of the little cassette's that popped out of Soundwave's chest, Rumble talked big and liked to fight at the drop of a hat. Matthew Barnaby would be proud.

Starscream

Laserbeak: Another of Soundwave's cassettes, Laserbeak was a robotic vulture who never entered the battle until the opponent was already wounded and close to defeat, making him the Kirk Maltby of Decepticons.

Devastator: All the Constructicons banded together to form the behemoth Devastator, making them almost as tall as Zdeno Chara.
Shockwave: He was a big purple ray gun that lit up. No one gets lit up like Jose Theodore.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #744
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Schedule is out
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Schedule
Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #745
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Seriously, why do the Leafs start every season with back-to-back games against Ottawa?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #746
Pyser
Pro Rookie

that 9 game road trip to start the season for the devils could be devastating.

just work nights to finish the arena early, boys! damn...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #747
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola, after the 9 games on the road, devs 5 of the next 6 are at home.

but then we have a stretch in jan-feb where 18 of 23 game are at home! what the hell?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #748
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

speaking of the Devils...

something kind of interesting in their new website
http://devils.nhl.com/team/app

interesting picture on the right hand side:
Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #749
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here's a breakdown of the Wings' final 16 games of the season (March-April):

Versus Central Division Foes (Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Predators, or Blues): 14

Versus Others: 2

Those will be some very exciting intra-divisional games. The rivalries will be heated and fierce!

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-11-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #750
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Jesus the Central division is terrible...