Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #701
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Darko is not actually a FA yet, from what I've been reading. Since it's in the moratorium, they still have several more days in which to find a sign and trade deal for him, presumedly for a trade exception. Or they can try to move a few players and work out a new contract with him.

At some point, though, they will have to renounce him, and sign Lewis. Although I'm not entirely sure how it works....Lewis could just still remain a "free agent" for a few weeks until the situation is resolved, and then sign with the Magic for the agreed upon amount. Still, it's an interesting situation.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #702
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looks like the Magic have renounced their rights to Darko now:

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2925284

As one unnamed GM in the article says, strange that they didn't even try and get something for him, considering they gave up a 1st round draft pick.

Also according to that article only the Bobcats, Grizz and Bucks have cap room to offer more than the mid-level, though Grizz sound like they have already gone after Varejao. I can't see the Bucks chasing him with all the depth they have at PF/C plus their need to get themselves a PG or resign Mo Williams, so Bobcats are probably the most likely to throw money at him. They also have a need at the C spot, so that makes it all the more likely.

Bulls can clear some cap space too apparently (though that doesn't seem right without looking at their financial situation... I thought they were over the cap), but I'm sure they'd rather have Nocioni than Darko.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #703
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Looks like the Magic have renounced their rights to Darko now:

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2925284

As one unnamed GM in the article says, strange that they didn't even try and get something for him, considering they gave up a 1st round draft pick.

Also according to that article only the Bobcats, Grizz and Bucks have cap room to offer more than the mid-level, though Grizz sound like they have already gone after Varejao. I can't see the Bucks chasing him with all the depth they have at PF/C plus their need to get themselves a PG or resign Mo Williams, so Bobcats are probably the most likely to throw money at him. They also have a need at the C spot, so that makes it all the more likely.

Bulls can clear some cap space too apparently (though that doesn't seem right without looking at their financial situation... I thought they were over the cap), but I'm sure they'd rather have Nocioni than Darko.

And his agent is PO'd

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,4816290.story

Quote:
Power forward Darko Milicic never will play for the Orlando Magic this season or any other "as long as Otis Smith is general manager," an irate Marc Cornstein, told the Sentinel.

Late Tuesday, shortly after the Magic withdrew their qualifying offer to Milicic -- whom Smith had said was a priority before the free-agent courting period began -- Cornstein blasted Smith for being a "liar." He called Smith's handling of his client "deceitful, disrespectful and a disgrace."

Cornstein said Smith had indicated that the Magic wanted to re-sign Milicic, but then sent an e-mail to him Tuesday telling him they had withdrawn their qualifying offer and made him an unresticted free agent.

Said Smith, "Our goals remain the same. To sign a free agent and try to retain Darko."

Cornstein said there's no chance.

"There's no chance. Put it in big capital letters," Cornstein said. "You can say that as long as Otis Smith is the general manager of the Orlando Magic, there's no chance."

Cornstein said that when the Magic did not contact him when the free-agency courting period began, "He didn't want to be here in the end. If Otis Smith had been a decent human and told us that Rashard Lewis was the player they wanted and would have to sacrifice Darko to get him, my reaction wouldn't have been happiness. But I would have said, 'I appreciate you telling me.'

"Instead, the guy told us Darko was a priority, and he lied."

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

This may be the first time I have ever heard of an agent being upset about his client becoming an unrestriced free agent.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #704
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't understand why he's upset?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #705
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't understand why he's upset?

My assumption is the agent believes that if the Magic would have told him they were not going to sign Darko, the agent would have already had Darko signed to a long tern deal somewhere else.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #706
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Is Darko ever going to be good? I'm honestly wondering. I mean, if you're a GM with cap room, do you go after him? And start him every game?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #707
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Suns just signed Grant Hill:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...illonline.html

Quote:
Hill was offered the Suns' biennial exception, which will pay him $1.83 million in the coming season and give him a player option to return at $1.97 million for 2008-09.

Looks like he will be a legit scoring option in the second unit with Barbosa when Nash goes out. Hopefully, it will help the Suns tread water a little better when Nash sits. Either way, it's a low risk move.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #708
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Knicks were rumored to be interested in a sign and trade with Seattle to get Lewis. Now that he is off the market, they may be setting their sights on getting.....Ron Artest.

Knicks really needed Lewis. they have to get rid of Q Richardson, and cut ties with the circus act known as Nate Robertson.

Artest would make the Knicks instant contenders.

C - Curry
PF - Randolph
SF - Artest
SG - Crawford
PG - Marbury

wow, that's a team right there. i'd actually have to start watching Knick games more regularly.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #709
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
Knicks really needed Lewis. they have to get rid of Q Richardson, and cut ties with the circus act known as Nate Robertson.

Artest would make the Knicks instant contenders.

C - Curry
PF - Randolph
SF - Artest
SG - Crawford
PG - Marbury

wow, that's a team right there. i'd actually have to start watching Knick games more regularly.

The Knicks would certainly have more talent, but I just don't see "contender" in that lineup. Four of those five players show little to no interest in team defense. Even if you believe Marbury's statements about supressing his own scoring for the sake of the team, that is still a team with too many players who demand the ball often. And of all the coaches to get a team like that to actually play together, I'm not sure Isiah is the one. Then, there is the meltdown possibilities with the personalities on that team. I just don't see a contender in that lineup - too many "stars," not enough role players, and no team defense.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #710
Anthony
Banned

Cleveland's problem was they didn't have enough stars. Boston seems to think they're one star away from playoff contention. too many stars is never a bad thing.

now, i'm saying on paper they're 1 small forward away from being major contenders. i agree Isaiah Thomas is likely not qualified to guide this ship, but how many teams have been derailed by unqualified coaches? countless others.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #711
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

When you think of places free from distractions, where Ron Artest can focus on basketball and getting his life in order, NY is the first place that comes to mind.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #712
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Cleveland's problem was they didn't have enough stars. Boston seems to think they're one star away from playoff contention. too many stars is never a bad thing.

While the East is full of teams with too little talent, that doesn't mean collecting "stars" isn't a problem as well. The Knicks have been trying that approach for years only to find collecting ballhog stars doesn't work out as planned. Stevie Franchise was a "star" (21.3 PPG, 7.0 APG, 5.8 RPG the year before coming to the Knicks). Quentin Richardson was a "star." Starbury is the very definition of the ballhog star. Jalen Rose, Mo Taylor, and Penny were all "stars."

At least with this team, the Knicks have some youth. But getting this team to play together (especially on defense) is going to be VERY difficult. In the East, they should make the playoffs on talent, but I don't see them being a contender even with Lewis (had they acquired him) or Artest (although he at least adds individual defense).
Old 07-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #713
st.cronin
General Manager

I think Crawford + Marbury is a terrible backcourt.

knives out
Old 07-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #714
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

One cannot discount this factor. Win or lose, that lineup would put butts in the seats and get people to turn on their TVs. An owner cannot ignore that.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #715
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
When you think of places free from distractions, where Ron Artest can focus on basketball and getting his life in order, NY is the first place that comes to mind.

right, because Artest has proven that even optimal conditions will result in him not being a jackhole. he is what he is, putting him in NYC or Happytown, USA isn't going to make a difference.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #716
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
I think Crawford + Marbury is a terrible backcourt.

ditto. Crawford is a small shooting guard. makes money shots, and isn't afraid to take the big shot. you can't bat your eyes at that, but still, Crawford/Marbury isn't scaring anyone.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #717
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

C - Curry
PF - Randolph
SF - Artest
SG - Crawford
PG - Marbury

The biggest problem on this team is Randolph and Curry are essentially the same post player. Both sit on the block, are useless anywhere outside the paint, don't defend anyone, and almost refuse to pass the ball when they get it in the post. Combine that with a PG that doesn't exactly work to get everyone involved and I think it'll be an interesting season for the Knicks.

Artest also needs to play better than he did last year. He's a good, but not great offensive player, but in the past he's been one of the top 3 defenders in the league. Last year he was probably a little better than average. Probably just a motivation issue, but you have to wonder exactly what you can do to motivate a guy that applied to work at Best Buy after his rookie year because he wanted the employee discount.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #718
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
ditto. Crawford is a small shooting guard. makes money shots, and isn't afraid to take the big shot. you can't bat your eyes at that, but still, Crawford/Marbury isn't scaring anyone.

Biggest problem with Crawford is that he isn't afraid to take any shot... I admit that I've managed to avoid watching any Knicks games over the past couple of seasons bar 1 or 2 so maybe he's improved that part of his game somewhat, but when he was a Bull he would just hit these cold shooting spells and try and shoot his way out of them with horrible contested jumpers.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #719
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Suns just signed Grant Hill:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...illonline.html

Looks like he will be a legit scoring option in the second unit with Barbosa when Nash goes out. Hopefully, it will help the Suns tread water a little better when Nash sits. Either way, it's a low risk move.

Very nice pickup. I figured he'd likely go to Detroit.

Cavs rumoured to be looking at Mo Pete. I think that'd be a good signing, and surely his value has never been lower? Would probably still cost the entire MLE though.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #720
Anthony
Banned

Knicks are rumored to be including David Lee in a package to aquire Ron Artest. i'll take that, although Lee is one of the best 6th men in the league and one of the hardest hustlers the Knicks have had since the early 90's Riley days.

this would be great though, i can see the Knicks giving more minutes to Balkman. that guy caused IT a lot of flack but he just seems to make one or two plays a game when he's on the floor. key rebound. timely block. that sort of thing. i swear, if the Knicks pull this off i have nothing bad to say about IT or Dolan and will go back to being a fulltime fan (watching several games a week, buying jerseys, etc).
Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #721
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Chicago Bulls and F Andres Nocioni agreed to an extention this morning.

http://hothand.org/
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #722
dime
High School JV

Quote:
too many stars is never a bad thing.

the Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton abomination would disagree.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #723
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post

i said "too many stars", not "too many alpha males".
Old 07-07-2007, 01:26 AM   #724
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post

If Malone didn't get hurt for the Finals, the Lakers would have had 4 out of 5
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:09 AM   #725
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not that summer league games mean too much, but lotsa rookies saw action today, including lotto picks Oden, Durant, Conley Jnr., and Jianlian.

Oden had just 6 points on 3-4 shooting, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks and 10 fouls. Durant had 18 points on just 5-17 shooting with 1 board. Conley Jnr had 12 points on 4-6 shooting with 5 boards and 3 steals. Jianlian was probably most impressive of all, with 23 points on 7-15 shooting and with a couple of big dunks for the Chinese team... he was on the receiving end of a few too however.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #726
miami_fan
Coordinator

How long do we have to wait before we rip Yi for not wanting to play in MIL?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #727
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How long do we have to wait before we rip Yi for not wanting to play in MIL?

its hard not to blame him. but he should be gratefull hes not stuck in the a$$crack of the NBA, NY
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #728
Groundhog
Coordinator

Halftime in the Kings-China right now. Even though it's just summer league, it's easy to spot the difference between the NBA guys and the FAs who will likely never suit up for an NBA team in the near future.

Justin Williams and Francisco Garcia have been the standouts. Justin Williams is a man amongst boys, pulling down boards and nearly tearing the rim off a few times, most notably when he threw down a slam on Yi Jianlian for the and-1. Francisco Garcia has hit some nice pressured jumpers, but outside of a good feeds to Williams and Hawes for dunks he's been looking for his own shot and has missed some wide open guys in favour of a tough shot, though, in his favour, he has knocked them down. He seems to be playing PG.

Lotto pick rookie Spencer Hawes has a couple of nice turnaround jumpers from around the FT line and a slam off a Garcia feed, but hasn't stood out too much. He definitely looks like a high-post guy.

Of all the not-ready-for-the-NBA guys, Mustafa Shakur has been the most visible. He has been burnt on D a couple of times, blown a layup after a nice drive, and thrown some risky passes off the penetration. He's had a couple of nice passes and stole an inbound pass, but I don't think he's done anything to improve his stock.

Yi Jianlian has been pretty invisible and unremarkable - much like the entire Chinese squad, actually. Only time I really notice him is when he picks up a foul or when Justin Williams dunked on him.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #729
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Halftime in the Kings-China right now. Even though it's just summer league, it's easy to spot the difference between the NBA guys and the FAs who will likely never suit up for an NBA team in the near future.

Justin Williams and Francisco Garcia have been the standouts. Justin Williams is a man amongst boys, pulling down boards and nearly tearing the rim off a few times, most notably when he threw down a slam on Yi Jianlian for the and-1. Francisco Garcia has hit some nice pressured jumpers, but outside of a good feeds to Williams and Hawes for dunks he's been looking for his own shot and has missed some wide open guys in favour of a tough shot, though, in his favour, he has knocked them down. He seems to be playing PG.

Lotto pick rookie Spencer Hawes has a couple of nice turnaround jumpers from around the FT line and a slam off a Garcia feed, but hasn't stood out too much. He definitely looks like a high-post guy.

Of all the not-ready-for-the-NBA guys, Mustafa Shakur has been the most visible. He has been burnt on D a couple of times, blown a layup after a nice drive, and thrown some risky passes off the penetration. He's had a couple of nice passes and stole an inbound pass, but I don't think he's done anything to improve his stock.

Yi Jianlian has been pretty invisible and unremarkable - much like the entire Chinese squad, actually. Only time I really notice him is when he picks up a foul or when Justin Williams dunked on him.

Justin Williams is no joke. Believe that. It's too bad Wyoming sucked when he was here. Anytime you can be top 10 in blocked shots and boards in the nation, in college, that's legit. We were pleased to see he got signed for the rest of the year last season by the Kings.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #730
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
its hard not to blame him. but he should be gratefull hes not stuck in the a$$crack of the NBA, NY

NY's a huge media market with lots of endorsement opportunities versus Milwaukee which has uh...

Not much of anything really.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #731
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Now you know what it was like to be an Arizona Wildcat fan the past 3 seasons.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #732
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

Just following the precedent of Stevie Franchise
Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #733
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

To the Cavalier fans on the board, would you rather have Verejao or Gooden on your team? I've read that is the predicament current Cavaliers GM is in right now and was wondering what the fanbase would prefer.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #734
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
To the Cavalier fans on the board, would you rather have Verejao or Gooden on your team? I've read that is the predicament current Cavaliers GM is in right now and was wondering what the fanbase would prefer.

I'd prefer Varejao personally, but the problem with that is that Gooden is the better offensive player - when he isn't sucking up the joint, anyway - which is a need. Neither player has a particularily great basketball IQ, though Varejao is still miles ahead of Gooden in this area, and his energy is contagious.

If they keep one and trade the other then their already shallow depth just gets worse. If they absolutely must trade one, which seems likely, then it's a matter of figuring out which one of the two has the greatest trade value, which might very well be Gooden anyway.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #735
Groundhog
Coordinator

Much better showing from Oden today, with 13 points (6-11 2pt, just 1-5 ft), 5 boards, 4 blocks, but 9 fouls.

Aldridge played well again too. I didn't see any of Aldridge last last season when he turned it on, but watching these past 2 summer league games has convinced me that he's a mighty big talent who the Bulls should have hung on to. He can score from inside-out and is going to make Oden's transition a lot easier by drawing defenders to the high-post.

Nick Fazekas, a guy I've been rooting for for a few weeks now, has been struggling with the Mavs, who seem to be playing him on the perimeter as a SF.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #736
st.cronin
General Manager

Groundhog, I'm loving your summer league posts.

Is Glen Davis playing?

knives out
Old 07-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #737
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Now you know what it was like to be an Arizona Wildcat fan the past 3 seasons.

Lute should learn to coach better?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #738
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Is Glen Davis playing?

Davis played on Friday against Portland, and though Davis didn't have a great game statistically (0-5 shooting, 6 boards, 3-4 FT, 8 fouls), it was Davis and Leon Powe who took Oden out of the game by being aggressive around the hoop offensively and drawing fouls on Oden, and also by bodying up on Oden and Aldridge on D. Even though Aldridge scored 26 points, it wasn't through lack of D from these guys - he was just knocking everything down.

Leon Powe was terrific with 19 points and 9 boards and was very aggressive, which might not bode well for Davis because I'm not sure that they'll want both Davis and Powe on the roster, especially with all the praise Boston has been throwing on undrafted FA Brandon Wallace, a 6'9 SF who figures to be a lock to make the final 15. Wallace played OK, but didn't stand out thanks to Powe and Gerald Green's solid games.

Play of the game was Gerald Green throwing down a tip-slam off the offensive rebound. It was incredible, his chin was level with the rim. He had a number of good plays, but is still more of an athlete than a basketballer.

Rajon Rondo was a bit dissapointing. It's the first time I've seen him play big minutes, and he passed up on shots he really should have taken (including a fast break) and instead looked to feed other guys often in worse positions. Gabe Pruitt was more agressive than Rondo and knocked down some nice jumpers.

Boston plays the Spurs tomorrow.

Last edited by Groundhog : 07-08-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #739
Groundhog
Coordinator

Much better game from Glen Davis today. He missed some shots (2-8 FG), but led the Celtics with 12 points and 9 boards, and was the hardest working player on the court. Powe took a step back today as it looked as though the gameplan was to try and get the other players involved, which led to a pretty ugly game from both the Spurs and the Celtics.

Rondo looked a little more aggressive, but he made some bad turnovers and suffered from playing with a bunch of guys who couldn't knock anything down.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #740
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rodney Stuckey with a nice 27 point performance for the Pistons tonight, going 9-9 from the line. I think he'll contribute off the bench right away this year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #741
Groundhog
Coordinator

Man, this Marco Belinelli guy is pretty amazing for the Warriors. He's putting on another clinic tonight, and looks like his game will fit in very nicely with the Warriors up-tempo style of play. Pierre Pierce is also hitting everything as well for the Warriors.

As for Patrick O'Bryant, bleh. Who would have thought that a project bigman out of Bradley university would suck so much? Oh, that's right; everybody.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #742
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Rodney Stuckey with a nice 27 point performance for the Pistons tonight, going 9-9 from the line. I think he'll contribute off the bench right away this year.

I didn't catch this game but I'm looking forward to watching the replay later tonight. Stuckey didn't impress me much in his first game, but looks like his shot was falling and he handled the ball better against Conley/Lowry than he did against Louis Williams, who made him look silly on a couple of plays.

Another pretty solid outing by Cheikh Samb by the looks of things, too. He was pretty active against the Sixers, but I don't know what his chances of sticking are.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #743
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I didn't catch this game but I'm looking forward to watching the replay later tonight. Stuckey didn't impress me much in his first game, but looks like his shot was falling and he handled the ball better against Conley/Lowry than he did against Louis Williams, who made him look silly on a couple of plays.

Another pretty solid outing by Cheikh Samb by the looks of things, too. He was pretty active against the Sixers, but I don't know what his chances of sticking are.

They're using this to decide if he'll be their 15th guy since his Spanish contract is up now and there is no buyout. He could go back to Spain, but then he'd need a new deal which would mean a buy out so the organizations hope is he forces them to sign him.

Stuckeys shot was falling and he looked 100x better this game then last. Just looked more confident.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #744
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Rajon Rondo was a bit dissapointing. It's the first time I've seen him play big minutes, and he passed up on shots he really should have taken (including a fast break) and instead looked to feed other guys often in worse positions.

Based on what I saw in college, Rondo has a pretty poor jump shot. He might simply be passing on shots that other point guards would make but that are outside of his skill set.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #745
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tyrus Thomas with 17 points, 7 boards, 5 blocks in summer league play last night.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #746
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Marcus Banks put up a summer league record 42 points on 13-19 shooting (4-5 from 3). He also added 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals. I'm thinking he could be a solid rotation guy for Phoenix if Mike D'Antoni decides to play him.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #747
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
They're using this to decide if he'll be their 15th guy since his Spanish contract is up now and there is no buyout. He could go back to Spain, but then he'd need a new deal which would mean a buy out so the organizations hope is he forces them to sign him.

Stuckeys shot was falling and he looked 100x better this game then last. Just looked more confident.

Watch the Pistons game last night, and I agree about Stuckey - excellent game. I don't know that he's a PG, but he might even be ready for a combo-guard role off the bench THIS year as a 7th or 8th man. Both Stuckey and Afflalo looked real good out there actually, even if Afflalo wasn't hitting shots he usually would. He just plays really smart, and I think he'll prove a nice pickup in the late 1st round if he finds minutes.

I was pretty impressed by Samb, too. He's got a way to go, but you can see the raw talent. If I were the Pistons I'd get him signed this offseason and let him bounce around in the NBDL.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #748
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Marcus Banks put up a summer league record 42 points on 13-19 shooting (4-5 from 3). He also added 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals. I'm thinking he could be a solid rotation guy for Phoenix if Mike D'Antoni decides to play him.

Everytime Banks has gone to a new team they've gushed over him, given him minutes, and then had him slink back down the depth chart not long after. He's still young and has the potential to be a great perimeter defender, but I think the problem is that he's just not really a PG. He could fill a Barbosa-esque role off the bench, but then the Suns already have another Barbosa-esque guy on the roster.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #749
Groundhog
Coordinator

The worst thing about Jianlian through 4 games (3 of which I've now painfully sat through) of summerleague is not that he's shooting the rock at a .260 clip - it's that he just looks bad out there IMO. I was expecting to see a gazelle running around the perimeter after what I'd read about him, but I just don't like his game at all. I don't know if Team China just isn't using him correctly or what, but just about the only thing he's shown to me is that he can make his FTs.

Granted, his game winner against Cleveland was a nice shot, but when he humbly said post-game that it could have just as easily missed, well, you kind of believe the guy.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #750
dime
High School JV

marcus banks is crap. the fact that they are playing him in the summer league indicates that they are desperately trying to showcase him and unload him to another team...a team that says "wow, that 25 year old with 4 nba seasons under his belt just put up 42 points in the summer league!" isiah thomas should go for it!

I'm very interested to see what steve kerr will be able to do, if he can pull of a trade for garnett without losing amare the suns would be the favorite next year.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote