Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #701
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7 View Post
This is stupid. Hand out ticekts with numbers. Tell them to come back at a certain time to pick up their console. When you run out tell them "sorry number 0798 we ran out at 750."

Yeah, exactly.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #702
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I was referring to the GameStop quote above your post.

Actually, that deal isn't much of a rip-off from a cost perspective. You're getting exactly what you pay for. Obviously, I'm not sure there are 6 launch games that I would want and I know what you mean in that sense, but it's a heckuva a deal when compared to what you're getting for $1500-2000 on eBay right now.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #703
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Actually, that deal isn't much of a rip-off from a cost perspective. You're getting exactly what you pay for. Obviously, I'm not sure there are 6 launch games that I would want and I know what you mean in that sense, but it's a heckuva a deal when compared to what you're getting for $1500-2000 on eBay right now.

Trying to do the math on it, but I believe you are getting a bit of a deal on it. As the console is 500, 6 games would be 480, i believe the controller is 50?, and the year protection is something like 40ish too.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #704
Kodos
Resident Alien

But there aren't six games worth getting, and you're forced to buy stuff you probably wouldn't get on your own. Hence, a screwing.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #705
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's simply not true. It has been reported by numerous gaming sites after receiving their unit that the fan noise is very minimal and that the system is cool to the touch with the large built-in heat sink handing the heat generated by the system very well.

And other sites have people reporting they are running hot. Like any system, I'm willing to bet a portion of the systems will have defects (bad diode?) and will die very early. I was lucky with the 360 and have never had a problem but certainly some of them had problems. I'm sure some launch PS3 will have problems (as my launch PS2 did.) However, the possibility of getting an early dud isn't why I didn't get a PS3.

As a side note, today my wife asked me when I was picking up my PS3. She was surprised when I told her I never pre-ordered it and wouldn't get it until next year at the earliest.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #706
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Just reporting what I've read over at IGN forums, sir.

People on Gamespot's forums are reporting the same problem - the system puts out a lot of heat, at least some of them do.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #707
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was going to have to upgrade my furnace, but instead I'll just get a ps3 and use it for my household heating needs.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #708
Kodos
Resident Alien

The PS3 - It's cheaper than a new furnace!
Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #709
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I work a 4 hour shift tonight at Sears, and we do not carry video games at all. I predict at least 15 calls for ps3 tonight anyways.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #710
SackAttack
Head Coach

We had 34 this morning, sold out in half an hour (the time it took to ring people up).

Didn't stop people from coming in all morning asking for them. We, surprisingly, got around 10 more a little before 2 o'clock, but that's all we're expecting for sometime.

I'm expecting this to turn into a holiday full of "Wiiiiiiii!" and "No, sir, no PS3's."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #711
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I ran mine for about 5 hours this morning playing Resistance. Unit isn't hot at all. I also spoke with a friend who has the system and asked him about any heat problems. He said he ran his for about 3 hours last night without any problems. I also checked the major video game blogs and sites and nothing has been mentioned about any overheating issues.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #712
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Does the ps3 have a marketplace like xbox 360, so you can download patches and demos?

does the blue ray high definition dvd player look good when you play it on a high definition tv?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #713
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
People on Gamespot's forums are reporting the same problem - the system puts out a lot of heat, at least some of them do.

I did notice that several of the major websites are reporting overheating in the retail units, but no problems with home units. The retail units are encased in plastic, so it's probably not shocking that the system would overheat in tight quarters like that. It's similar to the problems that they had in the trade shows where they had units overheat when they were in tight areas.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #714
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
That would be the smart thing to do. Unfortunately, it appears the game companies love this type of publicity so, anything short of someone being killed is good for them...

From a strict publicity standpoint, I think someone getting killed is *almost* good publicity for them- at the worst, a wash. The judge would laugh a suit against Sony out of court and they'd get tons of publicity from the media where video games are "fringe". They'd be chastised and told to do better next launch and it would all be forgotten in 5 years except a few token "remember this" stories.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #715
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Costco.com & the PlayStation 3

For anyone who is looking to purchase a PlayStation 3, but doesn’t want to wait in line for the chance to purchase one, Costco.com will be selling them online beginning 8:00am PST on Friday, November 17th.

This item will be available for purchase on costco.com on Friday, November 17, 2006 at approximately 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time. The item will be prominently displayed on the homepage of costco.com until it is sold out.

Due to an extremely limited supply, we can accept orders from current Costco members only on a first come, first served basis, with a limit of one unit per household. The Costco warehouses do not have units available at this time.

Supply is limited, so I would expect Costco.com to be very slow beginning around 7:59:30 when everyone starts refreshing their pages like madmen.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #716
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Costco.com & the PlayStation 3

For anyone who is looking to purchase a PlayStation 3, but doesn’t want to wait in line for the chance to purchase one, Costco.com will be selling them online beginning 8:00am PST on Friday, November 17th.

This item will be available for purchase on costco.com on Friday, November 17, 2006 at approximately 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time. The item will be prominently displayed on the homepage of costco.com until it is sold out.

Due to an extremely limited supply, we can accept orders from current Costco members only on a first come, first served basis, with a limit of one unit per household. The Costco warehouses do not have units available at this time.

Supply is limited, so I would expect Costco.com to be very slow beginning around 7:59:30 when everyone starts refreshing their pages like madmen.

You do know today is the 19th?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #717
KevinNU7
College Starter

The Costco promot started two days ago, they have to be sold out by now.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #718
SackAttack
Head Coach

jb's like a little window into two days ago.

I think this might explain most of his posts actually.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #719
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

Are you trying to predict something that has already happened?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #720
jbmagic
Pro Starter

According to my Costco, they will have this promo again for this Black Friday after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #721
SackAttack
Head Coach

Are these the same sources who predicted ten wins for Oakland?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #722
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Are these the same sources who predicted ten wins for Oakland?

You burn me there.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #723
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. Local CBS Baton Rouge News just did a brief story on the Wii's launch today, basically telling parents not to fret if they couldn't find a PS3 since they were only going to be 400,000 of them of across the country. The story said parents can just go buy a Wii which is "less than half of the price of the PS3" and should be easier to find since 4 million are supposed to ship by Christmas. The story didn't comment on differences in specs or anything of that sort.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #724
SackAttack
Head Coach

Well of course not. The idea behind consumer news on the teevee is to make folks trust them, and if you're not offering some kind of solution, you make yourself appear pretty worthless to your viewers.

Since "Spend $2500 on eBay" isn't really a viable solution..."Don't worry, loyal viewers. Just buy a Wii!"
Old 11-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #725
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I can only imagine the angry calls/emails when their kids are totally disappointed in that in wanting a PS3, they got a Wii (they really are for two totally seperate markets, which, of course, doesn't preclude someone being in both of them, but I'm sure most kids that were pining for a PS3 won't consider the Wii to be a suitable replacement) .
Old 11-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #726
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I can only imagine the angry calls/emails when their kids are totally disappointed in that in wanting a PS3, they got a Wii (they really are for two totally seperate markets, which, of course, doesn't preclude someone being in both of them, but I'm sure most kids that were pining for a PS3 won't consider the Wii to be a suitable replacement) .

Quite frankly, if I have a kid and he's upset about getting a Wii instead of a PS3, I'll take it back and he can play an Atari 2600 instead. Then let him whine about not getting the one he really wanted.

Just because you want, that != an obligation on behalf of your parents to get.

Of course, if the parents get upset at the TV station over the fact that their kids are unappreciative turds, then the problem clearly runs much deeper.

Still ain't the TV folks' problem, though.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #727
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh come on... the kid wants X and the parent, thinking they are getting something similar to X ends up buying Y for the kid because the TV said they are similar, and the kid didn't really want Y (because it isn't a replacement for X), and you are telling me that the parents shouldn't be upset? Really?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-20-2006 at 12:10 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #728
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, of course it is the tv's fault...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #729
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

One comment on Resistance: FOM.

For those of you who have a PS3, this game is a definite buy. Lots of fun and the gore is great if you're into that. Also, if you have a sibling or a roommate who likes to play games as well, the co-op campaign is great. You basically get to play through the game in split screen. It's actually even more fun than the single player mode.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #730
Arles
Grey Dog Software

XBox 360 + Gears of war = $460

PS3 + Resistance = $660 if you wait out in the rain, dodge bullets and are lucky enough to be high inline OR about $1000 if you decide to buy online from one of the online "bundle" outlets.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is the PS3 worth between 145% and 200% more than the XBOX 360? I can sort of understand the rush for the 360 as there was nothing really comparable out at launch. But with a viable alternative out now, it doesn't make a lot of sense to see all this money people are willing to pay to get the PS3.

I guess having the ability to play a collection of old PS2 games (prob worth around $100 now) must be worth all that extra cost. Heck, for all those people pointing to "backwords compatability", you could go out and buy the XBOX 360 + Gears of War, Madden, NBA 2K7, Tiger Woods and another game of your choice and still come out less than buying the PS3 and one game.

I understand the hardcore gamers with both systems getting it or even Blue Ray fans, but I don't really see why most normal families/people without either would spend all this money for the PS3 with the XBox 360 readily available.

Last edited by Arles : 11-20-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #731
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
XBox 360 + Gears of war = $460

PS3 + Resistance = $660 if you wait out in the rain, dodge bullets and are lucky enough to be high inline OR about $1000 if you decide to buy online from one of the online "bundle" outlets.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is the PS3 worth between 145% and 200% more than the XBOX 360? I can sort of understand the rush for the 360 as there was nothing really comparable out at launch. But with a viable alternative out now, it doesn't make a lot of sense to see all this money people are willing to pay to get the PS3.

I guess having the ability to play a collection of old PS2 games (prob worth around $100 now) must be worth all that extra cost. Heck, for all those people pointing to "backwords compatability", you could go out and buy the XBOX 360 + Gears of War, Madden, NBA 2K7, Tiger Woods and another game of your choice and still come out less than buying the PS3 and one game.

I understand the hardcore gamers with both systems getting it or even Blue Ray fans, but I don't really see why most normal families/people without either would spend all this money for the PS3 with the XBox 360 readily available.

One of the other reason PS3 is more because it comes with a Blue ray HD player and xbox 360 doesnt. It cost like $200 to get a HD DVD player to add to the xbox 360.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #732
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Dola, and for those wanting the Blue Ray, the HD-DVD for the XBox will only be an additional $200:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...60hddvdplayer/
Old 11-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #733
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
One of the other reason PS3 is more because it comes with a Blue ray HD player and xbox 360 doesnt. It cost like $200 to get a HD DVD player to add to the xbox 360.
OK, get the XBOX360 + HD-DVD for $600 then (as opposed to the PS3 for $600 - if you can find it). Plus, the nice thing about the XBOX is that if you *don't* want the nicer DVD (or already have one), you don't have to pay for it.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #734
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh come on... the kid wants X and the parent, thinking they are getting something similar to X ends up buying Y for the kid because the TV said they are similar, and the kid didn't really want Y (because it isn't a replacement for X), and you are telling me that the parents shouldn't be upset? Really?

If you buy it blindly instead of researching it first, you're still a moron.

If the teevee told you to buy Car X instead of Car Y and you didn't look into matters to see what was what about the cars, would you blame the television guy if you spent $20k on a car you were later unsatisfied with?

Why do you get a pass for your own stupidity if it's just a few hundred bucks?
Old 11-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #735
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
OK, get the XBOX360 + HD-DVD for $600 then (as opposed to the PS3 for $600 - if you can find it). Plus, the nice thing about the XBOX is that if you *don't* want the nicer DVD (or already have one), you don't have to pay for it.

Also, you do pay $50/year to use the Xbox Live online service. Most people are saying that the Gears of War single player is relatively weak and that the multiplayer is the best mode. You have to pay that money to get online to use that multiplayer mode. So incorporating that cost into your equation certainly isn't a stretch.

The PS3 costs absolutely nothing to get online and play multiplayer. Look at it this way concerning online options. Microsoft charges you extra for something that most MS gamers use, which is the multiplayer option. Sony lets you play it free of charge, so in some sense, Sony gives you an option.

In summary, MS allows you the option to buy a HD-DVD while Sony includes it (Sony charges that $200 extra). Sony allows you to have free online play while MS charges $50/year which is $200 over 4 year life cycle of a console. Both consoles cost more in one way or another. It's just a matter of how any given person would like to spin it. In the end, they're both good consoles.

In a year, Sony will have titles that are every bit as good, if not better than Gears of War. Right now, it's an apples to oranges comparison because one system has reached a higher point on the developement curve than the other.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-20-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #736
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

how you know arles? you never play ps3

that why tcy is better than bbcf
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #737
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
how you know arles? you never play ps3

that why tcy is better than bbcf

FIGHT!!!!!!! FIGHT!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #738
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ai not matter since it poor.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #739
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, you do pay $50/year to use the Xbox Live online service. Most people are saying that the Gears of War single player is relatively weak and that the multiplayer is the best mode. You have to pay that money to get online to use that multiplayer mode. So incorporating that cost into your equation certainly isn't a stretch.

Actually, every person I know is saying the single player is phenomenal although a bit short. Also, has PS3 definitely said they won't allow 3rd parties to charge for online services? I don't think they have. If so, I'm sure anyone that wants to play EASports games (along with other games) will be paying quite a bit - probably more than the 4.18/month that the 360 charges to play just about every game.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-20-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #740
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Actually, every person I know is saying the single player is phenomenal although a bit short. Also, has PS3 definitely said they won't allow 3rd parties to charge for online services? I don't think they have. If so, I'm sure anyone that wants to play EASports games (along with other games) will be paying quite a bit - probably more than the 4.18/month that the 360 charges to play just about every game.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but...

I will again point out that the "Sony hasn't said other people can't charge" was a mantra that anti-Sony people had for the PS2 also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #741
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

True but EA and other publishers are much more online savvy now and are much more likely to milk the consumer for every dollar they can if PS3 doesn't have a rule against 3rd party publishers charging for online services. At least with the 360, you know you can play any non-MMORPG for the 4.18/month.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #742
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How much better looking are bluray/hddvds compared to upconverted regular dvds? We were watching Finding Nemo yesterday upconverted onto a 50' 2nd generation A-class SXRD and it was simply amazing. But I just wonder how much greater the 1080p version is/would be.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #743
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Most of the reviews and player feedback have said the single player is short and repetitive along with the plot being pretty weak. Bill Harris had a similar reaction to the single player game in his blog today.

I seriously doubt that anyone charges for online play. There's been no indication whatsoever that will ever happen. Only place I've ever seen it has been in a rumor mill and it's always been quickly shot down as baseless. You have to pay $0 to play a 40 person deathmatch right now. I'm sure there will be plenty of add-ons to take money from people, but that's their choice whether they want it or not.

As for EA Sports, anybody who bothers buying their games has it coming as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #744
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
True but EA and other publishers are much more online savvy now and are much more likely to milk the consumer for every dollar they can if PS3 doesn't have a rule against 3rd party publishers charging for online services. At least with the 360, you know you can play any non-MMORPG for the 4.18/month.

They're not more savvy than they were when they released games 4 months ago. This argument holds no weight with me really...

I'm not saying there's no chance anyone charges, but the hair-pulling and implication that it is LIKELY that people charge is just not accurate to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #745
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How much better looking are bluray/hddvds compared to upconverted regular dvds? We were watching Finding Nemo yesterday upconverted onto a 50' 2nd generation A-class SXRD and it was simply amazing. But I just wonder how much greater the 1080p version is/would be.

I've wondered the same thing myself.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #746
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I guess that was kind of my point in my initial post that you responded to. I'm not a huge online gamer, so I really don't want to pay that $50/year just to try out a feature a few times a year. I may try the online stuff just because it's free, but I wouldn't touch it if I had to pay. I like the option that I can try online play without paying. It's similar to the reason that some 360 owners like that the HD-DVD wasn't included in their box. I'm glad that I don't have to pay for online play. In addition, Sony is getting me into part of the game that I wouldn't use if I had to pay, which is always a good thing for them in case I ever did consider any add-on material.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-20-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #747
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Quite frankly, if I have a kid and he's upset about getting a Wii instead of a PS3, I'll take it back and he can play an Atari 2600 instead. Then let him whine about not getting the one he really wanted.

Winner.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #748
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I watched the Ballad of Ricky Bobby on mine the other night (came with the system). It looked awfully good in HD 1080P. I have a 65" TV, so the clarity between upconverted DVD's and Blue Ray is more noticable than in a TV that is smaller. This is coming from the same person who gets frustrated when he has to watch NFL football with anything other than a digital signal. It's like night and day IMO.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #749
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've wondered the same thing myself.

I think you actually have that tv right? Maybe the 60" version from the previous year(with side speakers) IIRC?

Unless it's just that much better, i think that the whole next gen dvd wars are just flaming retarded at this point.

Last edited by stevew : 11-20-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #750
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess that was kind of my point in my initial post that you responded to. I'm not a huge online gamer, so I really don't want to pay that $50/year just to try out a feature a few times a year. I may try the online stuff just because it's free, but I wouldn't touch it if I had to pay. I like the option that I can try online play without paying. It's similar to the reason that some 360 owners like that the HD-DVD wasn't included in their box. I'm glad that I don't have to pay for online play. In addition, Sony is getting me into part of the game that I wouldn't use if I had to pay, which is always a good thing for them in case I ever did consider any add-on material.

That is a good point. I hope you and Wade are right and the majority or all of the developers don't charge, because I'll still probably pick up the PS3 sometime next year (or the year after) if they come out with some great exclusive games and Blu-Ray looks like it is going to thrive.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-20-2006 at 12:09 PM.