Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #701
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Actually, that play did matter in the grand scheme.

It moved the ball from the 35 or so to the 40. The Steelers call that trick play only around the fifty yard line. They don't call it on their side of the field. The one long run set up the trick play when if there was no penalty it would have been 1rst and 10 at the 35. The trick play would have only happened had the Steelers picked up another first down.
Well, honestly that play should have never happened anyway, since the pick was set up by the ghost-holding call on Locklear....but I digress.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #702
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai

Well, I just guess that certain people need their conspiracies...

I dunno what you want me to say. I watched Seattle repeatedly get screwed over on questionable officiating.

I mean, even if we say that two or three of those calls are 50/50, how is it that there were none on Pittsburgh? How is it that not a single 50/50 call went Seattle's way?

Again, are you seriously telling me that the Steelers played a penalty free game in the second half and that Seattle only happened to commit their penalties everytime a big situation came up?

I'm sorry, but that was horrible.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #703
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan
Well, honestly that play should have never happened anyway, since the pick was set up by the ghost-holding call on Locklear....but I digress.

Needed to edit that, it meant the 25
Old 02-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #704
Hurst2112
College Starter

So this is what it's like to have your team win the SB. Fabulous...pure enjoyment.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #705
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
No way to tell if that was going to make a huge impact. Calling it important seems like a stretch at best.

I thought it was important at the time. Even if it meant nothing more than 15 yards of field position, it was a critical missed call. Any call that gives a team a free 15 yards is a big call.

Only in hindsite can we say it helped set up the trick play, but it was a factor in that.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #706
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #707
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If both teams had been treated to equally poor officiating, I wouldn't have used the word biased. But for EVERY major call in the game to go against Seattle, I'm calling it biased. I don't care how the NFL tries to spin it. I felt like I was watching an NBA game today. (and before the NBA fans blast me, I love the NBA despite the consistently biased officiating in that league)

Biased to me means that there was intent though. I can't imagine that the referees were intentionally giving the game to Pittsburgh.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #708
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Long story short...Seattle was beaten both by Pittsburgh and by the refs. Pitt did enough to win (and only that), Seattle made a bunch of fuckups, and got screwed by several ridiculous calls.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #709
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ok honest question here. In regards to a penalty that really didn't matter too much in the grand scheme: How in the world do you 'block below the knees' when you're tackling the guy with the ball?

It was just overofficiating. It's a rule on change of possession that you can't go through the legs of a blocker to get to the ballcarrier. Was correctly called against the Giants earlier this season, but they just blew that one.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #710
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Interesting observation: People who wanted the Seahawks to win think the ref's beat em. People who wanted the Steelers to win think the refs did fine. That's always the case. The interesting part is that people who really didn't have an interest in either team also thinks the refs were bad.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #711
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm reading this thread from the beginning, having missed most of it. Very interesting how Troy has gone from saying that seattle is kiiling themselves with penalties to saying the refs were screwing them.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #712
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I dunno what you want me to say.
Don't say anything. I've read your posts and they strike as typical conspiracy nonsense.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #713
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
So this is what it's like to have your team win the SB. Fabulous...pure enjoyment.

Feels good, doesnt it~!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #714
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting observation: People who wanted the Seahawks to win think the ref's beat em. People who wanted the Steelers to win think the refs did fine. That's always the case. The interesting part is that people who really didn't have an interest in either team also thinks the refs were bad.
I honestly wasn't pulling for anyone. Both Seattle and Pittsburgh aren't on my radar of teams to pull for and pull against. I think the officials were just fine.

(But, of course, I suspect you'll just keep thinking I wanted the Steelers to win just so you can keep a hold of that fantasy of yours)
Old 02-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #715
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
I honestly wasn't pulling for anyone. Both Seattle and Pittsburgh aren't on my radar of teams to pull for and pull against. I think the officials were just fine.

(But, of course, I suspect you'll just keep thinking I wanted the Steelers to win just so you can keep a hold of that fantasy of yours)
I never say all, it's just a majority of people I talk with. It's the same with the Indy-Pitt game or Den-NE, the refs just sucked horribly this postseason, and the final game is just the punctuation at the end. Let's hope the trend stops here and we aren't back here next year having the same arguments.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #716
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
It's the same with the Indy-Pitt game or Den-NE, the refs just sucked horribly this postseason

I'll give you those two games (I think those two games...there were two games I thought were very badly officiated). I just think, and the most, people are making mountains out of molehills (and I think most of these just aren't there).

Last edited by sabotai : 02-05-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #717
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

Matt - you didn't run enough bleachers with that telephone pole.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #718
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Almost forgot to mention: Jerramy Stevens was awful today. He dropped what, 4 passes?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #719
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Steelers!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #720
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Almost forgot to mention: Jerramy Stevens was awful today. He dropped what, 4 passes?

Yep, absolutely horrible.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #721
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Touchdown, at least 2 *real* drops, the knock away due to the helmet to ball tackle and a couple of near catches in traffic where he took some big hits plus the catch called back on the hold. Would have liked to see him make at least one of those traffic catches and rectify the drops due to the stature of the game, but while he didn't catch everything thrown his way, he's shown a lot of progress this season, and I hope he uses this as fuel to improve in the off season and get better. He definitely showed that he can use his speed and size to get in position to make the plays and be a very difficult man to cover, now he's just got to start doing the last half of the equation with more regularity.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #722
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Good game, the Randle El pass was awesome.

Commericials rocked too!

The Bus and Cowher totally deserved this one, go Steelers!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #723
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Long story short...Seattle was beaten both by Pittsburgh and by the refs. Pitt did enough to win (and only that), Seattle made a bunch of fuckups, and got screwed by several ridiculous calls.

Yup. The problem with this scenario for some people, though, is that coincidentally, the best story also won the SB at the same time, leading to placing more emphasis on the officiating then necessary. The officiating was bad and went against Seattle, but they still could have, and should have, won that game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #724
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
Biased to me means that there was intent though. I can't imagine that the referees were intentionally giving the game to Pittsburgh.

Not intentionally maybe, but subconsciously? I think so. Maybe because it was a home game for the Steelers? I was just looking for a good game, but man, some of those calls were weak. They can probably be defended by a rule book lawyer, but the reality is that those plays occurred without a flinch from an official in every single NFL game this season. For them to be called, all against the Seahawks, is a joke.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #725
biological warrior
High School Varsity

The game had the makings of one of those ''Great last 5 minutes,'' but the stars weren't aligned. It would have probably been a 17-14 or a 20-17 game but maybe next year.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #726
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

For the 2nd straight year I fell asleep before the 4th quarter and woke up just in time to see it on the local news

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #727
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That was an odd game, and horribly officiated (speaking as someone who was neutral as to team preference tonight). Statistically, Seattle had the yardage edge and the turnover edge, but just couldn't put the ball in the end zone. But questionable penalties cost them two touchdowns.

Roethlisberger had his moments, but overall was terrible. The second interception was one of the worst rookie-mistake picks I've seen in a non-rookie. Ward bailed him out in the second quarter. Randle El had the best toss of the game.

Hasselbeck's clock management at the end of each half made my early FOF versions look good.

Just not a satisfactory ending to what was really a fine season. It's a shame this game didn't come down to the last play, as it should have.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #728
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Congrats Pittsburgh!

Though Seattle was jobbed by the refs. If the refs made proper calls, the score would have been close as the game was. It really wasn't as lopsided as the score indicated.

Though both teams looked a bit rusty. I always have hated the 2 week break between Conference Championships and the Super Bowl. It just leads to bad football.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #729
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i see Pittsburg winning it 21-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
I really hope thats the score so that my square wins

Edit: Swaggs score is good too.

how did you like my prediction. i was right on.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:09 AM   #730
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Will Randle El be resigned? He is a free agent. Personally, the team doesn't win without him.

Randel El is gonna go somewhere like Chicago, where they will overpay him. Steelers are pretty tight against the cap, and will most likely not be able to afford him.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:35 AM   #731
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Oh, and going way back I thought it was awkward and somewhat inappropriate to have an active NFL player (Tom Brady) doing the coin toss. You have a million other retired MVPs on hand there, why not have one of them do it?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #732
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Hasselbeck's clock management at the end of each half made my early FOF versions look good.

Not sure if I don't put some of this on Holmgren. This is two Holmgren Superbowls in a row in which I am not real impressed by his team's performance and some of the things they do.

Overall, it has to be hard as a big Seattle fan. I think if they had played better (no dropped balls, less penalties) they could have been right there at the end.

Congrats to the Steelers. I was going to be happy with either team winning though. I wanted Cowher to get a ring, and I grew up in Washington so I cheer on Seattle a little as the 'home state' team.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #733
bob
College Starter

I haven't read through the entire 15 pages, so if this has been answered already, sorry.

But why did the announcers keep suggesting kicking the field goal and then trying to get the onside kick and then score the TD. If you do that, you need FG, Onside kick, TD, 2pt conversion to tie. Without the 2pt conversion, you are screwed.

If you get the TD first, you can try the 2pt conversion, and if you get it, fine, go for the field goal, but if you miss, you know you need another TD.

Just wondering.....
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #734
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
I haven't read through the entire 15 pages, so if this has been answered already, sorry.

But why did the announcers keep suggesting kicking the field goal and then trying to get the onside kick and then score the TD. If you do that, you need FG, Onside kick, TD, 2pt conversion to tie. Without the 2pt conversion, you are screwed.

If you get the TD first, you can try the 2pt conversion, and if you get it, fine, go for the field goal, but if you miss, you know you need another TD.

Just wondering.....

I believe their reasoning was to leave as much time on the clock as possible for moving the ball down the field on the second possession. Their feeling was a TD and 2 pt conversion doesn't do any good if you waste so much time getting the first score that you don't have time to kick the field goal.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #735
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If you've gotten far enough to get a FG, then a TD, all in the span of about 2 minutes, and end up losing simply because you didn't get the 2-point conversion, then you really can't complain about the decision to get the FG first. 99.5% of the time, the game ends like it did last night, or perhaps with one additional score. You can't wonder about whether you should have gotten the TD first because of the chance of a missed 2-pointer - with that kind of time left, you don't have the luxury of choosing how to score, or in what order.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 AM   #736
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Just not a satisfactory ending to what was really a fine season. It's a shame this game didn't come down to the last play, as it should have.

Really though, it was a fitting end to one of the worst postseasons in the last 20 years. Boring game after boring game... this game wasn't exactly boring, but the Seahawks just didn't make any plays at all, and every time they got close, the flags came out and they just couldn't overcome it.

Hey though, I'm with the guy who won on the squares thing... I also had Steelers 1/Seahawks 0, so if the Steelers had to win this way for me to get $75, so be it. Hooray for me!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #737
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Had that fool Stevens been able to catch the ball it would have been closer or even a Seahawk win. Man that guy sucks.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #738
rkmsuf
Head Coach

dola, did Holmgrem stiff Cowher on the handshake? Last I saw Cowher was standing at midfield looking around, waiting to shake the guys hand and he's nowhere to be found.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #739
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I believe their reasoning was to leave as much time on the clock as possible for moving the ball down the field on the second possession. Their feeling was a TD and 2 pt conversion doesn't do any good if you waste so much time getting the first score that you don't have time to kick the field goal.
i think the other thought is that you can score on a 75 yard play to end the game, but you can't possibly kick a field goal that long. Ultimately it doesn't really matter though.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #740
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
dola, did Holmgrem stiff Cowher on the handshake? Last I saw Cowher was standing at midfield looking around, waiting to shake the guys hand and he's nowhere to be found.
That was a pretty strange moment, but I don't remember any of the Seahawks shaking hands with Steelers. I think they just walked off.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #741
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
That was a pretty strange moment, but I don't remember any of the Seahawks shaking hands with Steelers. I think they just walked off.

nice

I wasn't impressed with Holmgren at all. The precedings left me with the impression that he's a whiny dink.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #742
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am not sure if this was already mentioned but Big Ben had a terrible game with a 20.2 passer rating based on these stats.
Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int
B. Roethlisberger 9 -- 21 123 42.9 5.9 1- 8 0 2
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #743
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

From what I heard, there was some kind of problem with them getting together for some reason. They ended up getting together back in the locker room area and talking.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #744
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
From what I heard, there was some kind of problem with them getting together for some reason. They ended up getting together back in the locker room area and talking.

What kind of problem? Holmgrem crap in his pants and get his hands messy checking?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #745
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Randel El is gonna go somewhere like Chicago, where they will overpay him. Steelers are pretty tight against the cap, and will most likely not be able to afford him.

El will be gone. Bettis, Willie Williams, Gardocki will retire. Kimo may retire though I doubt it.

They are tight against the cap but they will have to find a second receiver to have success next year.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #746
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What kind of problem? Holmgrem crap in his pants and get his hands messy checking?

I have no idea, the 'report' didn't say. It just said they were unable to get together on the field but met up back by the locker rooms.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #747
rkmsuf
Head Coach

interesting
Old 02-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #748
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
El will be gone. Bettis, Willie Williams, Gardocki will retire. Kimo may retire though I doubt it.

They are tight against the cap but they will have to find a second receiver to have success next year.

His last name is Randle El, not El!

There, I feel better now. Please don't go to Chicago, Randle El. Stay in Pittsburgh, or go to Miami or the Colts or the Broncos. Thanks!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #749
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Don't say anything. I've read your posts and they strike as typical conspiracy nonsense.

I think it is safe to say that he is the most annoying sports know-it-all on the board by a longshot.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #750
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
His last name is Randle El, not El!

Oh, so you mean he's not related to Jor-El? Thanks for bursting my bubble, Kodos. Thanks a lot! *sobs*