Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2004, 09:17 AM   #701
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
No, I haven't. I've basically assumed his been shite since that Belarus game in the Olympics. I watched the Sweden/Finland game during the World Championships last summer. He was brutal.

Also, rumor has it, that Salo knocked-up his girlfriend. When his wife found out about this, she responded by telling Tomi that she had been hooking up with Comrie for months before he was traded. Poor guy has a lot on his mind right now...

He's fighting the puck and losing the battle. He hasn't really been the same since the Olympics. It's been so long since he's put a string of solid performances together, I'm begining to wonder if he was ever good at all or it was just an illusion.

That Comrie...what a team player. Apparently Rich Winter told some people at the Coyotes/Oiler game the other night, that if we knew all the stuff the Comrie had to put up with while in Edmonton, we wouldn't be booing him. Of course, Winter didn't say just what all those horrible things were (I'm sure one of them was being criticized for his poor playoff performance...the horror ), but they'd have to be pretty bad to prevent me from booing him. Like we're talking anally raped bad...
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:19 AM   #702
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Don't be so negative. So long as you don't play Dallas you may have a shot.

I think it's good move for the Oil. It means the team isn't giving up hope and adds Nedved adds some offensive punch, which the Oilers definitely need. Ryan Smyth is good and all, but he shouldn't be any teams best offensive player. He's a great winger to have play along side your best offensive player, but shouldn't be carrying the load. Nedved's been arguably the Rangers best player all year. He's been a real trooper. He's slightly more matured now than back in the past. Maybe after Nedved arrives the Oil will actually have a power-play. Rumor has it that they have started refusing the man advantage completely...

I have to agree, I think it is a good move. When I first heard about it, I was pretty pissed, but I have had more time to check out the details and digest it a bit more. In essence, we got Nedved and Markkanen for a goalie who was never going to play for us, a prospect who was far down on our list to ever play for us, and a 2nd round pick. I was a little pissed that we gave up a 2nd round pick, but the pick was actually from the Rangers in the first place for us signing Leetch last year and having him resign with the Rangers, so it was a free pick anyway.

The kicker for me in this deal was the fact that the Rangers are going to pay Nedved's salary for the year, so he is a free player. He is an upgrade for us at Center, has a good history with Dvorak, and should help our powerplay. We gave up very little, and did not send anyone from the current roster, and he is free. What else can we ask for? He as an option year next year worth $5 million, so the Oilers can simply let him go without it ever costing us a dime. Or, they can try to resign him for less. Either way, it is not hurting us financially.

I think this is a very good deal, and could be what we need to get into the postseason. And if Salo is still playing shakey, hopefully Markkanen can step in until Conklin is back.

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:21 AM   #703
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
That Comrie...what a team player. Apparently Rich Winter told some people at the Coyotes/Oiler game the other night, that if we knew all the stuff the Comrie had to put up with while in Edmonton, we wouldn't be booing him. Of course, Winter didn't say just what all those horrible things were (I'm sure one of them was being criticized for his poor playoff performance...the horror ), but they'd have to be pretty bad to prevent me from booing him. Like we're talking anally raped bad...

Heh, well the fact that Comrie called us a Communist organization after the morning skate solidified me on booing him...

Welcome back, Mike...just don't be caught on the street without protection from the Edmonton fans...

Old 03-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #704
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
Welcome back, Mike...just don't be caught on the street without protection from the Edmonton fans...

I know you are kidding, but come on...
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #705
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade

I think this is a very good deal, and could be what we need to get into the postseason. And if Salo is still playing shakey, hopefully Markkanen can step in until Conklin is back.

Oh, there is no doubt it is a good deal for the Oilers. You can't go wrong when the other team is paying the salary in most cases. But it's hard to get excited when the answer to the question on how we're going to become a good team again is Peter Nedved. Yes he is an upgrade, and yes he does fill a need. But that only points out the fact that our team was crap to begin with. It certainly isn't a WOW trade like Kovalev was.

If Lowe hadn't wasted so much time on the Comrie deal, maybe we could have upgraded some areas earlier, and not be on the outside looking in right now. Then we could be trading for a playoff run, instead of trying desperately to just make the playoffs. This trade might help us into the playoffs, but that is a big maybe, and there is no way this current team and the way they are currently playing makes it past any of the top 4 teams in the West. Like Travis said, it's hard to get excited about being a Oiler fan, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't grab my pompoms and cheer Nedved and the Oilers on to yet another 1st round playoff loss, if we are lucky.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Nedved lights the West on fire and we march to victory after victory. Just don't see it though...
Old 03-04-2004, 09:47 AM   #706
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
I know you are kidding, but come on...

Comrie got it pretty rough while he was 'holding out'. I don't think relations have improved any recently
Old 03-04-2004, 09:51 AM   #707
klayman
College Benchwarmer

The Bruins just grabed Nylander for a 2nd round pick.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #708
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

At this rate, the entire NHL draft will just consist of the Caps and Rangers alternating picks.

Maybe they can have all the draft-eligible players just line up against the gym wall, and have Sather and McPhee take turns picking guys. When you hear your name, you go stand behind the guy who picked you.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:17 AM   #709
klayman
College Benchwarmer

A trade not involving the Caps:

St Louis sends Brent Johnson to Phoenix for Mike Sillinger.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:56 PM   #710
bbor
Pro Starter

Methinks TSN/Sportsnet/Headline sports are gonna have a hardtimefillingup 3 hours of airtimeon march 9...All the trades will be over by then.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #711
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
I hope I'm wrong. I hope Nedved lights the West on fire and we march to victory after victory. Just don't see it though...

I agree with you that I don't think the Oilers have a prayer when it comes to doing anything in the playoffs. The best we can hope for in a given year is an upset in the first round, then getting knocked out in the second round. I have been pretty jaded for a while now about the Oilers, because Lowe really screwed up the Comrie trade big.

It just seems that we are afraid to mess with chemistry this year, but the fact is, the current team does not have the ability to make a serious run. We can get into talks about economics, the system the team plays, and all that other stuff, but I am sick of hearing it lately. Yes, things need to be fixed during CBA negotiations, but the fact is, the Oilers spent too much time this season 'hoping' that things would work out, and the team would get on a role. Just won't happen with the current roster, and that is a shame.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #712
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
At this rate, the entire NHL draft will just consist of the Caps and Rangers alternating picks.

Maybe they can have all the draft-eligible players just line up against the gym wall, and have Sather and McPhee take turns picking guys. When you hear your name, you go stand behind the guy who picked you.

Wonderful visual, ML

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:45 AM   #713
samifan24
Pro Starter

TSN is reporting that the Devils have acquired Jan Hrdina from Phoenix for Mike Rupp and a 2004 second rounder. Link
Old 03-05-2004, 10:05 AM   #714
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Leetch did well in his first game as a Leaf...
Old 03-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #715
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Happy birthday, Karim. So, exactly how old were you the last time the Flames made the play-offs?
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:06 PM   #716
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Happy birthday, Karim. So, exactly how old were you the last time the Flames made the play-offs?

Low blow
Old 03-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #717
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
TSN is reporting that the Devils have acquired Jan Hrdina from Phoenix for Mike Rupp and a 2004 second rounder. Link

can anyone tell me about hrdina?

this trade scares me. i guess rupp wouldnt amount to much, but he had size, and packaged with a 2nd rounder, seems like we paid a lot when no one else is paying anything for anyone...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #718
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I always get Jan Hrdina confused with Jiri Hrdina, who played for the Flames way back in the late 80's. And then when I hear his name, (like in the recent trade) I think "Hrdina?!? That guy must be about 50 by now."

Not that that helps you Pyser, but I thought I'd share.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #719
klayman
College Benchwarmer

dola

On a side note, I just noticed that IHDB is now keeping track of trades on the player cards. That's pretty cool.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #720
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, I don't know how much offense Corson is going to bring to the Stars, but he just beat the *SHIT* out of the Calgary defenseman Green.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 03-06-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:43 PM   #721
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Flyers/Senators tonight was a total brawl in the wake of that Havlat slash a week ago. The game ended with five consecutive brawls -- by that I mean, on five consecutive faceoffs, there was no attempt made to play the puck.

Each team ended the game with 2 or 3 players left on the bench. Havlat never came on the ice during all this -- probably the reason for the extended brawls.

Be interesting to see the fallout from this.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:50 PM   #722
bbor
Pro Starter

Holy crap..Flames made a play off trade

Simon for Mclennan...and assorted DP's

Preds pickup Bombadir and Zholtok from Minny.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:00 PM   #723
Karim
College Starter

Wow! Thanks for the head's up bbor.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:03 PM   #724
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
can anyone tell me about hrdina?

this trade scares me. i guess rupp wouldnt amount to much, but he had size, and packaged with a 2nd rounder, seems like we paid a lot when no one else is paying anything for anyone...

As far as I know, Hrdina is pretty much a faceoff guy and powerplay guy. Have a look at TSN's scouting report, maybe that will help you get a better idea of what sort of player he is.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #725
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes
Flyers/Senators tonight was a total brawl in the wake of that Havlat slash a week ago. The game ended with five consecutive brawls -- by that I mean, on five consecutive faceoffs, there was no attempt made to play the puck.
Random thoughts on the brawl(s), from an unbiased Leaf fan (unbiased because I hate both teams):

- The whol thing started with a Rob Ray vs. Brashear fight in which Ray was destroyed. Brashear busted him open big time. Is there anyone other than John Muckler who still thinks Ray can play an enforcer's role in this league?

- There was a goalie vs. goalie fight. Lalime took his mask off before the fight, on his way down the ice. Esche saw it, but didn't lose his. Cheap.

- There were lots of fights, but the fact that this game set the NHL record for PIM in a game is a disgrace. The refs went looney at the end, piling up penalties for no reason. For example, Jason Spezza dropped his gloves with some kid named Sharp. They wrestled around a bit, though a couple of punches, and fell down. For that, Spezza got five, ten and two game misconducts. I'm sorry, but 35 PIM on one play for barely fighting? And this was happening through the whole thing. I guess sometimes the refs like to get their names in the record books too.

- Shaun Van Allen attacked some European kid who'd probably never fought before in his life. This is the same Van Allen who cried for suspensions when Domi punched him. I guess it's OK to jump guys, as long as it's not him.

- Where was Federenko or whatever his name is during all this?

- Mike Fisher is a tough kid. He threw Handzus around pretty good. Fisher is a guy who any team would love to have.

- Finally, Martin Havlat should wear a dress for the rest of the season. Simple as that. As mentioned above, he never touched the ice. In fact, the Sens sent him to the penalty box to serve one of the minors so that nobody could touch him. Weak. It's one thing to be a dirty player. It's another to be a dirty player who runs away and lets his teammates fight his battles for him. It's the difference between being Darcy Tucker and Claude Lemieux. Havlat looked like a scared little girl, sitting in the box by himself while all the fights were going on. Just pathetic.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:59 PM   #726
Karim
College Starter

Actual Deal:

To Rangers:
F Blair Betts
F Greg Moore
G Jamie McLellan

To Flames:
F Chris Simon
2004 7th Rd. pick

Plus, the Rangers pick F Josh Green on waivers.

~~~

The trade is a wash in terms of salary which is part of the business of being a small-market team. Turek has obviously cleared waivers without any interest and Sutter doesn't want to carry three goalies.

Betts is a very good faceoff-man and defensive centre projected to be at best a 3rd line centre. The problem he has faced since junior is major shoulder problems. As a result, he may just never pan out.

McLellan is a warrior. He played two games for us with a broken sternum when we had no NHL calibre goalies. He is a solid backup and well liked by everyone. A great addition to a locker room.

Moore was a 5th round pick and was on the US World Junior Team, beating out higher-ranked players. From what little I've heard he's got offensive potential, scoring 14 goals in 30 games with Maine as a sophomore this year, but he's not very fast.

No one is sorry to see Josh Green go. He's got all the tools but no toolbox. The fact that Sather is in love with the guy is fine by us.

Simon is an UFA after this year but after that disgrace in Dallas last night with Dimaio and Morrow taking uncontested shots at Iginla and Gelinas, we needed someone now with tough games down the road. Oliwa is decent but can't take a regular shift; he's slow, gets knocked off the puck easily and is a liability defensively. Simon is +14 on the Rangers.

I'd be surprised to see anything else from the Flames. Look to see Simon on the 1st line with Conroy and Iginla.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:59 AM   #727
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Oliwa is decent but can't take a regular shift; he's slow, gets knocked off the puck easily and is a liability defensively.

Unless he is playing against the Oilers, where he looks like the 2nd coming. Sigh
Old 03-08-2004, 10:22 AM   #728
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Chief, any thoughts on the Gerber to Toronto rumors?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278
Old 03-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #729
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The rumors are real. They were talking about the possibility during the Ducks' loss to Pittsburgh Saturday. And since the Ducks lost (to the friggin' Pens?!?), they are even more inclined to deal.

Gerbs has been trapped behind Jiggy, and that doesn't look to change. Guigere has started every game since the All Star break, which is around 13-14. Now, a lot of that is simply because he's hot right now (stupid soft goal against Pittsburgh besides), but Gerber has been talking to Murray for some time now about being moved to get an opportunity at a #1 spot.

I don't want Gerber to go--they ain't lying when they say he's the best backup goaltender in the biz--but I also want the guy to be a success. If the Leafs get him, that would be a great trade for them. I realize you would probably balk at this, but I would seriously let Kidd and Belfour go (because of money issues, as well as Gerber's skill) and just start Gerber. Imagine how you could upgrade your roster if you have a quality guy being paid less in net?

The Ducks have had a great prospect goalie in Ilya Bryzgalov sitting in the minors as well. Moving Gerber will finally get him up to the bigs. He has reportedly been ready all season for the move, even out of training camp.

I put a lot more credence in these rumors than those Carney rumors you were talking about a couple weeks ago. But, please, for the love of God, don't send us Tucker. Ugh!

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #730
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
I realize you would probably balk at this, but I would seriously let Kidd and Belfour go (because of money issues, as well as Gerber's skill) and just start Gerber.
Kidd's a bum and will be run out of town after the season, if not before. Belfour is a question mark. He's a free agent at the end of the year, and if there's no 2004/5 season, who's to say Belfour even plays another season in the NHL?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #731
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anson Carter to LA for...Barry Melrose's hair stylist? (sorry I didn't catch the name)
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:56 PM   #732
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Barry Melrose's hair stylist

Otherwise known as Jared Aulin.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:21 PM   #733
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Wow. Aulin is a decent prospect, but Carter fills a big hole for them. Unless Huet tanks...in which case, they are sunk.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:41 PM   #734
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, essentially the Caps trade Jagr for Jared Aulin, and paid a ton of money for that opportunity (they are paying some of Jagrs contract).

Aulin isn't bad (a former 2nd round pick for the Avs sent to LA in the Blake trade), but he is just like Sachs said - a "decent" prospect, no more.

Caps are looking stupid in several trades this year, IMO.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #735
bbor
Pro Starter

CR...if you see Tucker play for your team you will like him a lot more than seeing him play against you.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #736
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Stars acquire Chris Therien for a couple of picks. Good stay at home D-man...exactly the sort of guy who should fit right in with Dallas.

Hmmm...let's see what we have now....

Zubov-Boucher
Matvichuk-Numminen
Klemm-Sweeney
Therien-Erskine?

Not a huge transitional game there...but we should see more trapping! WHOO HOOOO!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #737
Karim
College Starter

Flames acquire Marcus Nilsson from FLA .... looks like for a 2nd round pick this year.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #738
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
CR...if you see Tucker play for your team you will like him a lot more than seeing him play against you.

I agree.
Tucker is the guy I hate most in all of the NHL.

I'd love to see him play for my Avs.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:22 PM   #739
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Todd Bertuzzi is a classless fucking pussy. hope he's suspended for a long, long time.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:41 PM   #740
samifan24
Pro Starter

What happened?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #741
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
What happened?

a couple weeks ago, Steve Moore hit Markus Naslund hard.

Todd Bertuzzi's idea of manly retribution was to hit Moore from behind and slam him face first into the ice. Moore was down in a pool of blood for a long, long time and was carried off in a stretcher.

Moore had already risen to the challenge tonight - he fought Matt Cooke earlier and did well. The rest of the night any Canuck on the ice who wasn't attacking David Aebischer was trying to goad Moore into another fight. When Moore ignored Bertuzzi's attempt and was skating away, Bertuzzi hit him from behind like the gutless wonder that he is. Moore never saw it coming.

think Marty McSorley, but without the stick.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:05 AM   #742
samifan24
Pro Starter

I knew about the hit on Naslund and saw from tonight's boxscore that he fought Cooke. This disgusts me. Bertuzzi's actions were gutless and spineless. He should be done. The harder the penalty the less likely you are to do something so ridiculously stupid.

Last edited by samifan24 : 03-09-2004 at 12:05 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:14 AM   #743
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I knew about the hit on Naslund and saw from tonight's boxscore that he fought Cooke. This disgusts me. Bertuzzi's actions were gutless and spineless. He should be done. The harder the penalty the less likely you are to do something so ridiculously stupid.

I like rough stuff - there was a lot of fighting in the game (which was a blowout for the Avs almost from the get go). The Canucks were after Avalanche players all night long (after each of his goals, Brad May went after David Aebischer, and 2 other Canucks got penalties later for running at him as well). And that's all fine. There were a lot of good, hard, mostly-clean checks the Canucks put on the Avs all night (including a hit from Sami Salo on Alex Tanguay that was almost identical to the Moore/Naslund hit).

But a cheap shot like that is just terrible. It was gruesome to see - and just sickening to see him lying there on the ice. Marc Crawford also showed a complete lack of class during this as he had a visible smirk on his face as trainers from both teams were attending to Moore.

Kudos to the Canucks fans though - once they could see Moore was badly hurt, they seemed pretty respectful. Considering all of them wanted his head coming into the game, that showed a lot of class.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:19 AM   #744
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

dola,
in other (and related) news...

the Avs get Matt Barnaby for Chris McAllister, some former 1st rounder they haven't signed (David Liffiton) and a 2nd round pick.

seems like a bit steep of a price, but McAllister sucks and I guess Liffiton wasn't someone they were going to get to play, so I can live with it.

I'm sure they aren't done - undoubtably after Sunday's game they will be acquiring a backup goalie to replace Phillipe Sauve.

Sauve's had a tough year - he started off slowly, but had a nice stretch in the middle of the season, but the wheels have come off of late. He just looked awful in the Calgary game - not a guy you can count on even to be a backup in the playoffs.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:20 AM   #745
samifan24
Pro Starter

I don't mind a good scrap but hits like this one and the Brashear-McSorley incident continue to make it on national news broadcasts and give hockey a bad name. For all the good the league and its players do, replays of these hits will be shown 100x over on the national networks, networks whose coverage of the NHL is usually an afterthought except in times like these. If the NHL drops the ball on this incident, I will really be upset. It will be interesting to see the repercussions of this incident.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 AM   #746
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh, and if the Canucks didn't finally see tonight that they need a real goalie and that the team has no confidence in Cloutier...they never will.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:34 AM   #747
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I couldn't agree more on Cloutier. I have never had faith in him as a goalie. He's just not right... in the head.

Some interesting deals, especially Barnaby heading to Colorado. I was a bit surprised by that, but Barnaby has been putting together a decent year offensively, for Barnaby at least.

As for the Bertuzzi thing. Unbelievable. What was he thinking? Moore did his part, he fought Matt Cooke, that really should have been the end of it. But to sucker a punch a guy in the back of the head and drive his head into the ice? Unbelievable. This is equally as bad as the McSorley thing, if not worse. This had been brewing for weeks, not over the course of a few minutes. Moore's career could be in jeopady. If you recall, Jeff Beukeboom (great player, fantastic name) had his career ended when Matt Johnson slugged him in the back of the head. He was knocked out, got a concusion and never recovered. Bertuzzi should be out for the rest of the regular season at least. As for play-offs, I don't know. I forget how long McSorley was banned for (it was a long time), but Bertuzzi's punishment should equal it. Without Bertuzzi the Canucks chances of going anywhere in the play-offs are severly diminished. What was he thinkg? I understand that payback had to happen for the hit on Naslund and I don't mind it at all. Hell, perhaps the best regular season NHL game I ever watched was the March 27, 1997 game between the Wings and Avs, when McCarty took it to Lemieux for the hit on Draper. Classic game. 6-5 win in OT (McCarty with the game winner). Plenty of rough stuff. Some great hockey played. No cheap shots. Lemieux wasn't sucker punched, he just turtled, face-shield and all. But to sucker-punch a guy like that... That's not honorable. That has no place in hockey.

Wonder what Brian Burke thinks now. Or Crawford.

Interesting line on Brad May: 2 goals, 47 penalty minutes. I wonder if that is a record, most penalty minutes in one game in which a player scores 2 or more goals? Hmmm....
Old 03-09-2004, 04:36 AM   #748
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

I was also surprised to hear that Cloutier didn't try to fight Aebischer. Cloutier likes to fight and is pretty good at it, if I recall. Then again, Aebischer is Swiss, there's no way he was dropping the gloves.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:17 AM   #749
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Double dola (only because I am the only one awake at this late hour. Well, late for you people, it's lunch time here).

Looks like the Derek Morris era in Colorado has come to an end. TSN reports Morris and a prospect were shipped to Phoenix for Chris Gratton and Ossi Vaananen. I like the name Ossi Vaananen. Morris never seemed to become the player everyone hoped he would in Colorado. Interesting deal. Colorado gets one more "tough" forward to go along with the likes of Cummins, Worrell, Barnaby (in his own way), etc.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:36 AM   #750
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Let the games begin. Hope the GMs haven't tired themselves out before the deadline.

Stars picked up Valeri Bure for Drew Bagnell(?) and a draft pick from Florida.