Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #701
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
we should see Cruz for 8

LOL - I'm sooooo hoping Farnsworth comes in!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #702
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep... looks like the Meche deal was actually a very good deal.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #703
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. We just got really, really, really lucky

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #704
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
LOL - I'm sooooo hoping Farnsworth comes in!

You're still just mad at that "nondescript large market" team comment I made last week

SI

Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #705
DeToxRox
Head Coach

ESPN - OTL: Dream On A Shelf - E-ticket

Crazy story on Matt Harrington, how he turned down 4.5 mil and now makes 11.50 an hour.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #706
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Of course, Hillman spits in the face of lady luck and goes Grady Little on Meche. He was done (even tho he had 16 in a row retired, he was losing some speed on pitches) but left him in and now it's 2-2.

SI

Old 04-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #707
Ksyrup

Quote:
You're still just mad at that "nondescript large market" team comment I made last week

SI

Not really. I actually like the Royals (except when they're playing the Tigers). I just thought it was funny that you assumed your manager would do the right thing when he's been a punching bag for the baseball writers/bloggers for making so many stupid decisions this year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #708
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And I stand corrected:

G. Meche 7.1 5 4
0 7 0

Good job, Hillman. I'm not one to usually blast the manager, but that's 3 games this year directly lost due to bullpen management. If you really wanted to be damning to him, you could put 2 more games at his feet.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #709
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And I stand corrected:

G. Meche 7.1 5 4
0 7 0

Good job, Hillman. I'm not one to usually blast the manager, but that's 3 games this year directly lost due to bullpen management. If you really wanted to be damning to him, you could put 2 more games at his feet.

SI

Nice win for the Tribe!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #710
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's so unfair that Meche gets tagged for those runs after the game he pitched. He had 16 straight retired before he went out for the ill fated 8th and shouldn't have even been in there. The heat on Hillman is about to strongly intensify.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-23-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #711
Ksyrup

Although I'll always be happy the Phillies won it all in 2008, you know 2009 is probably not your year when you're getting no-hit by David FUCKING Bush!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #712
Ksyrup

Quote:
It's so unfair that Meche gets tagged for those runs after the game he pitched. He had 16 straight retired before he went out for the ill fated 8th and shouldn't have even been on there. The heat on Hillman is about to strongly intensify.

SI

I gotta think so. Even if they don't make a move this year if the team is in contention, lets say 3 AL Central teams win between 82 and 86 games. You will probably be able to pin enough losses on Hillman to justify the idea that the Royals should have won the division, and that would be enough for me to dump him. Although, to be fair about Farnsworth, as a GM you don't go out and overpay for a reliever and expect your manager to immediately stick him in "6th inning, behind by 4 runs" duty. So part of that is on Moore, too.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-23-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #713
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I gotta think so. Even if they don't make a move this year if the team is in contention, lets say 3 teams win between 82 and 86 games. You will probably be able to pin enough losses on Hillman to justify the idea that the Royals should have won the division, and that would be enough for me to dump him. Although, to be fair about Farnsworth, as a GM you don't go out and overpay for a reliever and expect your manager to immediately stick him in "6th inning, behind by 4 runs" duty. So part of that is on Moore, too.

Definitely. No one liked that move at the time. But you still can't keep going to that well to define the season, offseason, or complete GM's regime. It was a bad move and it goes down in the "loss" column of Moore's ledger but he still has more wins than losses in that book at this point in time.

There are 24 other guys on the team and 39 others on the 40-man (actually, I think we have 38 currently, but you get my point). So, the GM has a blind spot for a player- I'm pretty sure that's already been wiped out in a couple of weeks and this game had nothing to do with him.

This game has nothing to do with Farnsworth and it's, again, been enough games where Hillman has been too key of a figure in too many losses (5 of 7) already that he's in dangerous waters. I doubt they'll get rid of him in-season. But I wonder if that's even true as the Royals brought in John Gibbons, the former Jays manager, to be bench coach this past offseason so they have a "suitable" interim manager handy.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-23-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #714
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
(so far today, and hopefully that's it for him with 101 pitches on the board- we should see Cruz for 8, Soria for 9)
IP H R ER BB K HR Season ERA
G. Meche 7.0 2 1 1 0 7 0 2.00

So, yeah, 2+ years into that contract, it looks like Dayton Moore was the only one right about Gil. Never in my wildest dreams could he have done what he did and that is looking a hell of a lot like $55M well spent.

SI

Assuming Hochaver returns to the rotation soon, we likely will have our best rotation since the year we won the World Series. Meche, Greinke, Davis, Bannister, and Hochaver is an AWFULLY strong rotation. Judging from the huge crowds expected this weekend, the fans are excited as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #715
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Although I'll always be happy the Phillies won it all in 2008, you know 2009 is probably not your year when you're getting no-hit by David FUCKING Bush!

whats the story with Hammels, did he get pulled for injury?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #716
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Assuming Hochaver returns to the rotation soon, we likely will have our best rotation since the year we won the World Series. Meche, Greinke, Davis, Bannister, and Hochaver is an AWFULLY strong rotation. Judging from the huge crowds expected this weekend, the fans are excited as well.

I caught the last 5 minutes of Soren's show after the game. He is absolutely right that the game tomorrow moves from 10K+ walkups and a possible sellout to maybe 5K. With people's opinions still forming, a loss like this can easily move those fairweather hesitant fans from "wow, we're excited" to "same old Royals".

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-23-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #717
lungs
Pro Rookie

For anybody interested, Dave Bush is having a "very good game" in the 8th inning of the Brewers/Phillies game.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels leaves game after being struck in shoulder - ESPN

PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels left Thursday's series finale against the Milwaukee Brewers after being struck in the shoulder by a line drive.

One pitch after Hamels gave up a two-run homer to Ryan Braun in the fourth inning, Prince Fielder laced an infield single that hit Hamels in the front of his left shoulder.

Trainers immediately tended to Hamels, who left the game with what the team called a left shoulder contusion. He was replaced by J.A. Happ.

Hamels was the MVP of the 2008 NL Championship Series and World Series but is off to a rough start this season. He had an 11.17 ERA through his first two starts.

He had cruised through the first three innings Thursday, striking out six of the nine batters he faced.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #719
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

He got hit on the left shoulder by a line drive.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #720
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Stairs hit a HR to break it up.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #721
lungs
Pro Rookie

Damn... after Billy Hall made that play I thought the recipe was complete for a no hitter.

Matt Stairs says otherwise.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #722
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And, you know, after a little bit of time to think about it- Hillman didn't necessarily make the wrong call. I'm just going to be lazy and cut and paste a response to another poster's post over a Royals Review since it sums up my thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI@RR
“Do I think that it was grossly mismanaged, to the point of immediately firing the guy? Not really.

Do I think the he is proving himself to be a manager that is more likely to cost his team a game as opposed to win his team a game? Very quickly."

This game wasn’t a game that Hillman necessarily cost us. I would have gone Cruz 8 Soria 9 and since we already know we lost with what he did, my options are better. But that’s perfect hindsight.

He’s just been too involved in too many games that are questionable and too many decisions that have gone the other direction that there’s cause for concern.

SI

Old 04-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #723
Butter
Coordinator

Reds preparing to shut the door on a 7-3 road trip. They were one of the worst road teams in baseball last year, so there is cause for excitement and celebration in Cincinnati.

Reds and Pirates both making it interesting early in the NL Central.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #724
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cubs bullpen is going to be the death of them.

Still pissed they didn't even bother to offer a contract to Kerry Wood.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #725
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Reds preparing to shut the door on a 7-3 road trip. They were one of the worst road teams in baseball last year, so there is cause for excitement and celebration in Cincinnati.

Reds and Pirates both making it interesting early in the NL Central.

Their four through eight hitters are batting:

I don't know whether I should be excited for how good they'll be when they start hitting or depressed at how bad they'll be if the pitching falters.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #726
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If you're a fan of pitching then this Angels/Tigs series has not been for you. Wow this is bad stuff.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #727
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Crazy story on Matt Harrington, how he turned down 4.5 mil and now makes 11.50 an hour.

That story blew my mind. He's kind of a sacrificial lamb of the player's union - you need a couple of guys like that out there so owners can know, in the back of their minds - maybe the guy won't sign, even if he has no leverage. Owners need to know (from the players' perspective) that an agent COULD walk away, even if his client has no other option.

I don't feel bad for him at all though. At some point he could have called any of those teams and got a low-money level over his agent's head.

Last edited by molson : 04-23-2009 at 11:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #728
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you're a fan of pitching then this Angels/Tigs series has not been for you. Wow this is bad stuff.

Yeah, not pretty.

In case Tigers fans are wondering who the hell Matt Palmer is, here was the Angels starting pitching depth chart going into spring.

1. John Lackey (DL)
2. Ervin Santana (DL)
3. Joe Saunders
4. Jered Weaver
5. Kelvim Escobar (DL)
6. Dustin Moseley (DL)
7. Nick Adenhart (deceased )
8. Shane Loux
9. Darren Oliver (DL)
10. Anthony Ortega (off to bad start at AAA)
11. Sean O'Sullivan (off to bad start at AAA)
12. Rich Thompson (needed in pen)
13. Talk to Pedro's agent...
14. Talk to the Pads about Peavy
100. Palmer

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #729
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and for the kids counting at home, Palmer is pitcher #4 of the rotation now. I don't think the Angels have even announced which rabbit they're pulling out of their hat for Saturday's game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #730
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yes, I like to think I have a somewhat decent pulse about other teams and when I heard Palmer, I was clueless. He of course shut us down.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #731
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, damn, Figgy just owned the Tigers, lol...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #732
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, I like to think I have a somewhat decent pulse about other teams and when I heard Palmer, I was clueless. He of course shut us down.

I have a fantastic feel for the pulse of this team, and I DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE WHO HE WAS.

Of course, last week, we brought up some guy named Daniel Davidson to help fill out the pen, suffering from both injuries and ineffectiveness. Not only did I not know who he was, the Angels radio announcers admitted, on air, that they didn't know who he was either.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #733
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Helluva bunt by Figgins. It's absurd how many infield hits the Angels have had this series. Just unreal.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #734
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You know, I know he is disliked by Tigers fans, and home run aside, it hasn't been a good night for Inge (two errors, and a scorer's decision "deprived" him of a third). But if they don't want him, I would take Inge on an Angels team.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #735
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You know, I know he is disliked by Tigers fans, and home run aside, it hasn't been a good night for Inge (two errors, and a scorer's decision "deprived" him of a third). But if they don't want him, I would take Inge on an Angels team.

This is a typical Inge night which is why he such a polarizing figure. He makes all these amazing plays, then has two boneheaded plays, and goes yard.

It's a little more too then just him opening his mouth, it's that his detractors are vocal, and his supporters are vocal, and that is probably a 50/50 split of all Tigs fans so around here it's constant bitching back and forth.

I like him when he shuts up and plays, which so far he has. And now that he finaly took coaching he has a much better swing and looks like a competent big league hitter.

I just hope he keeps it up and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #736
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Helluva bunt by Figgins. It's absurd how many infield hits the Angels have had this series. Just unreal.

Agreed. While it is something they are good at, with their contact ability and general team speed, the amount of them have been a little mind-boggling this series.

This isn't a good spot for the Tigers. Even when they were among the top teams in 2006-07, they struggled in Anaheim. Not that there's any shame in that, but the Tigers' record here is really poor. Like the Angels going to Tampa Bay or Toronto. We always struggle in those place, and that was before last year, too.

With what this team's been going through, I'll take whatever infield hits we can get. We need the room anyway to hopefully put it out of reach for our pen to blow.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #737
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Agreed. While it is something they are good at, with their contact ability and general team speed, the amount of them have been a little mind-boggling this series.

This isn't a good spot for the Tigers. Even when they were among the top teams in 2006-07, they struggled in Anaheim. Not that there's any shame in that, but the Tigers' record here is really poor. Like the Angels going to Tampa Bay or Toronto. We always struggle in those place, and that was before last year, too.

With what this team's been going through, I'll take whatever infield hits we can get. We need the room anyway to hopefully put it out of reach for our pen to blow.

Ugh I keep thinking back to that game, and I forgot now if it was last year or the year before, then Todd Jones comes in for some reason in a 7 or 8 run game and just blew up and we lost.

Anaheim and the White Sox just abuse us. The former is fine, but it's even worse with the latter when we play damn near 20 times a year.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #738
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is a typical Inge night which is why he such a polarizing figure. He makes all these amazing plays, then has two boneheaded plays, and goes yard.

It's a little more too then just him opening his mouth, it's that his detractors are vocal, and his supporters are vocal, and that is probably a 50/50 split of all Tigs fans so around here it's constant bitching back and forth.

I like him when he shuts up and plays, which so far he has. And now that he finaly took coaching he has a much better swing and looks like a competent big league hitter.

I just hope he keeps it up and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Yeah, I have heard he can get mouthy, and that is one thing I don't like (and can understand others not diggin' on).

The Angels' radio announcers were talking about him yesterday, said late last year he finally switched to a bat high type stance or maybe a foot in the bucket style a la Brian Downing of old (I forget), and that he has made much more consistent contact since then.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #739
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ugh I keep thinking back to that game, and I forgot now if it was last year or the year before, then Todd Jones comes in for some reason in a 7 or 8 run game and just blew up and we lost.

Anaheim and the White Sox just abuse us. The former is fine, but it's even worse with the latter when we play damn near 20 times a year.

Oh, Gawd, I remember that one. It was early in the season, maybe 2006? I think Kenny Rogers was having a great game that night, and Magglio hit two or something like that. And it all fell apart in the ninth. Didn't we score the winning run on a squeeze play or something? That game was crazy.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #740
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I have heard he can get mouthy, and that is one thing I don't like (and can understand others not diggin' on).

The Angels' radio announcers were talking about him yesterday, said late last year he finally switched to a bat high type stance or maybe a foot in the bucket style a la Brian Downing of old (I forget), and that he has made much more consistent contact since then.

Well Inge is a competitor but he was pissed in 2004 when we signed Pudge and he lost his catching gig. Then we get Miguel Cabrera and he is pissed about that.

I mean come on.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 PM   #741
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh, Gawd, I remember that one. It was early in the season, maybe 2006? I think Kenny Rogers was having a great game that night, and Magglio hit two or something like that. And it all fell apart in the ninth. Didn't we score the winning run on a squeeze play or something? That game was crazy.

Yep. Ugh. I remember going to coach a hockey game and we were up huge, and when I come out, we're going to Extras.

The only good thing about coming to Anaheim is Granderson explodes, and he needed it this series because he was scuffling. Too bad he can't hit third. Instead we have Magglio who hasn't hit an XBH yet. Ugh.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #742
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well Inge is a competitor but he was pissed in 2004 when we signed Pudge and he lost his catching gig. Then we get Miguel Cabrera and he is pissed about that.

I mean come on.

Heh, well, yeah, he shouldn't be griping about not playing when you bring in stars like that. But I can see why he would get pissy, considering wasn't he one of the few decent players on that horrid 2003 team? He probably felt he established his role.

I guess he got his wish, since Cabrera's at 1B now.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #743
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. Ugh. I remember going to coach a hockey game and we were up huge, and when I come out, we're going to Extras.

The only good thing about coming to Anaheim is Granderson explodes, and he needed it this series because he was scuffling. Too bad he can't hit third. Instead we have Magglio who hasn't hit an XBH yet. Ugh.

No XBH for Magglio? We got one of those. Magglio, meet Abreu. Not sure what that's about. Both of those guys don't lack for power.

Granderson, man, I love that guy. He's a keeper. Speed and power. Seems like a good guy. Definitely someone to keep around. I love it when I can get him on my fantasy team.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #744
Travis
Pro Rookie

Jays active pitching staff:
Rotation: Halladay, Purcey, Richmond, Tallet, ? (Guessing Cecil gets called up)
Closer: Downs

Pitchers on IR:
Rotation: McGowan, Marcum, Janssen, Romero
Closer: Ryan

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #745
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Their four through eight hitters are batting:

I don't know whether I should be excited for how good they'll be when they start hitting or depressed at how bad they'll be if the pitching falters.

5 days ago, the 5 hole batter was hitting about .180 and 7-8 were both hitting sub-.100. They have improved.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #746
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Pitchers on IR:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Maybe you can get Chacin back.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #747
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

I was hopeful they could limp the staff along until it was a realistic time to go after a rental SP to get them through the season, but this is getting ridiculous. Thank goodness for the hot start and hopefully the bats continue to show the influence Cito and his staff have had, but it's only so long before the bullpen will start to fatigue. Hopefully Janssen, Litsch and Romero can both get back relatively soon and bolster both the rotation and the pen.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #748
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, the last I heard, he had been drafted 4 or 5 times and turned them all down and was working at Best Buy.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #749
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Pitchers on IR:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Ryan on the DL is a good thing, for now.

Some nobody got called up instead of Cecil.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #750
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

No thanks.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote