Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #701
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I can't comment on Tanguay (haven't really paid attention to him since I turned the game on), but I can't believe that Pierre Turgeon is "only" 36 years old. I feel like I've been hearing his name for my entire life.

Now that I think about it, he's in his 18th season, so I have been hearing his name for my entire time as a hockey fan. That's really creepy to me.

Same here. I keep thinking it's some other guy named "Turgeon," like a little brother or something.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #702
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ducks up 3-0.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #703
st.cronin
General Manager

Brisebois: "doh!"
Theodore: "ohshit!!!!"
Ducks Everywhere: "whooooooo!"

knives out
Old 05-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #704
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Patrice Brisebois made a great defensive play (really!).
And he made up for it in overtime.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #705
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
And he made up for it in overtime.

jesus did he ever.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #706
General Mike
Pro Starter

Lupul pwned the Avs.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #707
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Lupul pwned the Avs.

don't forget Dustin Penner, whoever the fuck that is. anytime he had the puck behind the Colorado net, I knew something bad was going to happen.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #708
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Turgeon, btw, isn't even the oldest player on the Avs. Sakic and Dowd are both older. he just looks like he has nothing left in his tank.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #709
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
don't forget Dustin Penner, whoever the fuck that is. anytime he had the puck behind the Colorado net, I knew something bad was going to happen.

This Dustin Penner guy in an animal. He was all over the ice. He seems to skate pretty well for a big guy and simply dominated along the boards and behind the net. He's an undrafted free agent.

Turgeon has been useless for years. Just ask Dallas fans. He had a bit of a resurgance this year before getting hurt, but his crap play should come as no surprise.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #710
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Turgeon, btw, isn't even the oldest player on the Avs. Sakic and Dowd are both older. he just looks like he has nothing left in his tank.
For some reason, Sakic just doesn't seem that old to me. I guess I have a hard time remembering that he was with the team in Quebec for 7 years before they moved. I remember him in the Nordiques uniform, but I don't remember 7 years of it! I guess he doesn't seem so old because he's been producing at a high level for all these years. Turgeon hasn't done much since he left St. Louis.

As far as Dowd, my earliest memory of him is as a member of the 1995 Devils team. I had no idea that he was so old either, but it doesn't surprise me that much. He's pretty much been a journeyman over his career, and those journeymen are usually older than I think they are.

For instance, is Andrew Brunette really 32 years old? I thought he was around 28. Good grief.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #711
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
For some reason, Sakic just doesn't seem that old to me. I guess I have a hard time remembering that he was with the team in Quebec for 7 years before they moved. I remember him in the Nordiques uniform, but I don't remember 7 years of it! I guess he doesn't seem so old because he's been producing at a high level for all these years. Turgeon hasn't done much since he left St. Louis.

As far as Dowd, my earliest memory of him is as a member of the 1995 Devils team. I had no idea that he was so old either, but it doesn't surprise me that much. He's pretty much been a journeyman over his career, and those journeymen are usually older than I think they are.

For instance, is Andrew Brunette really 32 years old? I thought he was around 28. Good grief.

Turgeon used (still is?) to be called "The Tinman" because he had no heart. A skilled player who lacked passion/intensity. But he had a great run for St. Louis in the 00-01 playoffs. He was all over the ice and actually seemed to play with some passion and heart. He parlayed that into a massive contract from Dallas. He was completely abysmal there. He never fit in and was playing on a line with guys like Jon Sim. Turgeon is a playmaking center, he needs to play with skill guys to be effective. He had a good run this year playing on a line with Svatos.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Jim Dowd. Lady H_B's maiden name is Dowd. During the "get to know you" stage of our relationship hockey came up and I mentioned Jim Dowd and, she being from Jersey, knew all about him. "Jersey" Jim and all that. Apparently he scored a game winning goal in the Stanley Cup finals on her birthday. Against the Wings, of course. I was duly impressed with the hockey knowledge.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #712
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow...this second round of play-offs are shit compared to the first round.No drama so far

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #713
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Wow...this second round of play-offs are shit compared to the first round.No drama so far

They games have been pretty good, save some of the blowouts, but the series have been pretty one-sided for the most part. I expect that to change tonight!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #714
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Huh. We must be watching different games......The games have been extremely exciting. A lot of 1 goal and OT games.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #715
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Colin White is supposed to make his return to the ice tonight. To answer Pyser's question from earlier in the thread, no, I don't really miss Colin White yet, but maybe he'll give the Devils a lift. I guess David Hale will sit, even though I think he's been the third-best Devils defenseman in the series (behind Rafalski and Matvichuk). Lukowich has been decent, while Martin and Klee have been invisible. Martin is White's defense partner, though, so he's not going anywhere. I'd prefer that Klee get scratched tonight, but I probably won't be that lucky.

What's White's job going to be? Maybe he can try to nudge Staal off the puck, but I'm afraid that Staal might get physical with him and reaggravate the injury. If Colin White is playing tonight, he absolutely has to be able to play the whole game. The last thing the Devils need is being short a defenseman. Rafalski is playing a lot as it is, and I think that'd force Matvichuk to have to pick up the slack. I don't know if Matvichuk has the endurance for it.

Ultimately, as long as Colin White doesn't make any bonehead mistakes like Patrice Brisebois did last night, I'll be content. He has to stay out of the penalty box, too. Can he avoid the mistakes and the penalties? I'm not very confident.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #716
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia
Huh. We must be watching different games......The games have been extremely exciting. A lot of 1 goal and OT games.

I guess i was talking moreso about the end results.

I would like to see closer series.Game 7's are the bomb diggity.

4 game sweeps suck much.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #717
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I guess i was talking moreso about the end results.

I would like to see closer series.Game 7's are the bomb diggity.

4 game sweeps suck much.

I agree. If the Wings are not involved, I have simple rules for the playoffs:

1) I want all games to go into overtime. Overtime hockey is very exciting and means more hockey.

2) I want all series to go to Game 7. Game 7's are, indeed, "the bomb diggity" and mean more hockey.

That is all.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #718
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
great game in Colorado tonight - going to OT.

Theodore has made some amazing stops and Lupul has a hat trick for the Ducks. Patrice Brisebois made a great defensive play (really!).

Pierre Turgeon looks really, really old and Alex Tanguay looks completely disinterested.

I think the game last night proved an age old adage: You can't replace guys like Forsberg and Foote with the likes of Turgeon and Breisbois and expect to go all that far in the playoffs.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #719
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I think the game last night proved an age old adage: You can't replace guys like Forsberg and Foote with the likes of Turgeon and Breisbois and expect to go all that far in the playoffs.
To be fair, turgeon is way past his prime...he used to be quite a playoff threat...thats to be fair, as your comparing forsberg in his prime and turgeon now
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #720
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
How old is this particular adage? It also seems quite specific.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #721
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Richard Matvichuk just made a nice pass that led to a goal. Unfortunately, his pass was to Carolina's Justin Williams and led to a Hurricanes goal. If this had happened in overtime, I'd know how Colorado fans felt after that Brisebois thing. It was almost exactly the same type of play.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 05-10-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #722
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't know if I'm even going to bother watching Game 4 between the Devils and Hurricanes on Saturday. The last two games have been heartbreaking.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #723
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know if I'm even going to bother watching Game 4 between the Devils and Hurricanes on Saturday. The last two games have been heartbreaking.
I know what you mean, i was thinking about not watching the blues game...oh wait...

Now i know how non-playoff teams feel...you guys suck
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #724
RendeR
Coordinator

SABRES UP 3-0 on "Mighty" Ottowa!!!!!

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #725
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

You obviously haven't been watching the Sabres/Sens series, its like having 20 little heart attacks every damn game......

but I am SO LOVING THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!

You GOTTA Believe!!!

GO SABRES!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #726
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

I know how you feel, but what if the Devils win? What do you about game 5 then? I think you have to watch.

knives out
Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #727
kingfc22
Head Coach

Sharks just need to weather the storm the first 10 minutes or so and then get into their game plan.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #728
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hot damn, the Sabres are good.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #729
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Hot damn, the Sabres are good.

Hey, yer not so bad sometimes.

Toronto Sucks
Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #730
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Toronto Sucks
How's Andrew Peters playing the past few weeks?

(Yes, this is really the best I can do.)
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #731
kingfc22
Head Coach

Could this color guy be more of a homer.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #732
Galaxy
Coordinator

Who-hoo Sabres!!!!!!!!

Are they the "team to beat" right now?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #733
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
How's Andrew Peters playing the past few weeks?

(Yes, this is really the best I can do.)

*chuckles*

We've actually played better without Peters in the lineup than we did with him. We're really missing Connolly though, that hit he took really messed up his head I think. he's been prone to severe concussion syndrome in the past. he missed the entire last season due to that.

I just love the fact that this Sabres team somehow finds a way to win. They're scrappy and they're amazingly opportunistic (see game 1).

I'm just giddy right now.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #734
kingfc22
Head Coach

Nice pass by Joe. 2-1 Sharks. WOOT!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #735
caspanky
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Nice pass by Joe. 2-1 Sharks. WOOT!!!

Cheechoo did a nice job keeping Pronger off the puck again too.

We've got a nice shooting percentage, 2 for 6 or so.
caspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #736
RendeR
Coordinator

Gotta say I have a soft spot for the Sharks also. I lived out there when they got the team and damn if that whole region didn't go hockey crazy for that first year....was something really fun to be around.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #737
caspanky
Mascot

Great call by the ref. That was a incredibly dangerous hit. He tried to shove Cheechoo's head through the boards. Nice to hear the crowd go from cheering the hit to booing the call too
Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #738
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Was at the Sabres game tonight. Crowd was pretty insane, as usual.

The magical season continues...
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #739
kingfc22
Head Coach

How about we call goalie interference on Smyth. The guy runs into Toskala every time he's in the Sharks zone.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #740
caspanky
Mascot

Yeah, but Toskala's not flopping around on the ice at the slightest touch.

Last edited by caspanky : 05-10-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #741
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
How about we call goalie interference on Smyth. The guy runs into Toskala every time he's in the Sharks zone.

You can get that call when they start calling Neil of the Senators for the same damn thing, he hit miller 4-5 times tonight and never once got called for anything.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #742
bbor
Pro Starter

God....Buffalo sports radio is going to be unbearable if the Sabres win.

BTW...I was pulling for the Sabres until i heard the old.."U.S.A,U,S,A" chant from the crowd.Now i am on the "anybody but the Sabres or Ottawa win the cup please."

It made me wonder if the Sabres actually had any Americans on it besides Miller.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #743
caspanky
Mascot

Another one!!! What the hell?!!? How do you call interference when Marleau gets pushed into him?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #744
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
God....Buffalo sports radio is going to be unbearable if the Sabres win.

BTW...I was pulling for the Sabres until i heard the old.."U.S.A,U,S,A" chant from the crowd.Now i am on the "anybody but the Sabres or Ottawa win the cup please."

It made me wonder if the Sabres actually had any Americans on it besides Miller.

Ha!

To be honest, it drives me nuts too. Especially in the Philly series when they were chanting it as a JEER to Flyers tender Robert Esche to get him off his game. Yeah, Esche was picked over Miller...for f*&k sakes get over it people!!!

The guys jumping on the bandwagon are making the real fans look bad. Don't hold it against us!!!

As for Buffalo radio...well, I'll say one thing...it's not as bad as it would be if the Bills won a Super Bowl!

I think I lose an IQ point for every five minutes of listening to WGR
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #745
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

go ducks!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #746
caspanky
Mascot

How many times is Edmonton gonna cycle the puck around to #24 at the point, and have him shoot it right into Toskala's glove? They can keep doing it for all I care, but I don't think it's gonna work.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #747
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm glad in a way that we're not winning this series. I don't know how I feel about Lou Lamarello on the bench long-term. I thought winning this series or the Cup might have him pondering just staying. Sure saves him the trouble of firing someone every April.

Speaking of, who are we going to get as our real coach next year? And will someone go trade for Rob Niedermeyer so Scott can come back home. That whole Ducks thing is soo not cool.

::sigh:: 3-0....hockey in Carolina. I dunno. I guess at least we got a division title banner out of that lil' run at the end of the season. I must've sipped too much kool-aid tho.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #748
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
go ducks!

It'd be fitting in their last year as the Mighty Ducks..that they'd go ahead and seal the deal on this whole Cup thing.

That way, their name would live on forever. lol...
Old 05-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #749
Pyser
Pro Rookie

lou was never planning on staying behind the bench.

id expect to see pat burns back next year.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:27 PM   #750
caspanky
Mascot

Tied up 2-2. The Sharks went a little too defensive there. How many times do you see a team just try to kill off clock only to give up the game tying goal. You gotta keep attacking.