Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #701
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

This guy was on the way to a hall of fame career but dissapeared after the 2060 season. He reappeared in 2064. Where did he go?

Last edited by GoSeahawks : 06-05-2006 at 07:45 PM.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #702
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like the game isn't evaluating stats vs ratings?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #703
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Why did he become a minor league free agent.

If you have gotten this far and haven't purchased - wait a few patches.

The AI is an absolute trainwreck. The game is just very flawed and it needs serious fixing.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #704
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks

This guy was on the way to a hall of fame career but dissapeared after the 2060 season. He reappeared in 2064. Where did he go?
Maybe he went to war?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #705
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Maybe he went to war?
lol That's what I was thinking.

Has anyone else seen this type of thing?
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #706
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
What was the contract of the 25 year old 3B?

1 year, 1.75 mill
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #707
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
lol That's what I was thinking.

Has anyone else seen this type of thing?

I think he had a sore arm.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #708
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
1 year, 1.75 mill

Strange. I've seen the AI do bizzare things with high contract players. But guys making that? Not often. The AI bugs just keep getting deeper and deeper. Good luck Mr. Duffy, I don't see how you squash all of these.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #709
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Here's a story I'm just jumping for joy about. Start a standard Cuban league and make a few tweaks so as to get desired statistical outputs. If you didn't know, Cuban baseball begins in November. In the league setup you have the option of turning trades on or off and when you want the trade deadline to be. For some reason there is a year dropdown for the trade deadline. I guess perhaps maybe you want the trade deadline to be in 2010 - maximum customization or whatever. Okay, that's fine, but the only year in the dropdown is 2006. You want to have a trade deadline in Cuba it can't be any later than 12/31/2006. I tried using 2/28/2006 to see what that would do, and sure enough the trade deadline had passed 9 months before the season had begun.

Went and simmed ahead anyways to look at the stats. Specifically, I simmed until the start of the playoffs, which began in mid-April. Oh yippie - there are leaderboards, but there are no sortable stats in the team roster or in the league's player statistics interface. Did another run and it turns out the stats all reset to zero once it turns over to 2007. Brilliant!

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-05-2006 at 08:45 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #710
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I had to set my lineups for my 6.5 online league.

I just have one question:

Why did you guys fuck this game up so bad?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #711
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Maybe he went to war?

He developed a rare debilitating injury that only began to be diagnosed in the mid-21st century. It was named after a couple of obscure players from six decades earlier.

Wood-Prior's Disease.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #712
BYU 14
Coordinator

Here is an interesting AI glitch I ran across. Created a historical League for 1901 and added an independant 8 team Minor league (PCL) I did this just for the purpose of giving overflow players and those that were at the end of their Careers a place to play when they were unwanted by the Majors.

Well since it had no affiliation to any Major League teams, the PCL basically began operating as a second Major League, competing for Free Agents and actually getting a couple in their prime. On top of that, though the PCL kept a separate Almanac for their League (Only counting PCL Stats) the players from the Majors they signed also had their Stats continue to accumulate in the Major League Almanac as well.

Slightly annoying, but also kind of cool in that it gives me an idea for a different type of dynasty. Apart from the Stat issue it does mirror to a small degree the way some minor Leagues were back then. The PCL in particular could afford to pay salaries almost on par with the Majors for quite a while as they were the only game in town before the westward expansion of the 50's. Because of this quite a few good players chose to play our their careers in the PCL instead of going to the Majors as they could make equal, or greater, Money. So definitely a glitch, but a semi cool one....and I will probably turn it into a Dynasty time permitting.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-05-2006 at 11:09 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #713
wbonnell
College Prospect

Are people still griping about the user interface? I followed along with the game manual and was blown away by how flexible this thing is. As a software developer, I really appreciate its power; as a long time text sim fan, it does virtually anything I can dream (customizable views, filters, context sensitive menus, hyperlinking, bookmarks, etc).

Now, I'm sure certain "work flows" need to be optimized (ie scouting), but the UI framework in place is nothing short of awesome.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 AM   #714
Raven
College Prospect

Alright, I just played out another game, and found more disturbing AI decision making - this time on the field.

It's 8-8, bottom of the 9th. 0 out, and I have runners on 1st and 3rd. My batters hits a ground ball down the line, the first basemen grabs it and throws the ball to second. The winning run scores, and the game is over.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 AM   #715
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
OK, I just simmed about two months of play so that I could get to my Rookie level team's Opening day. I played out the first game, pitch-by-pitch, scored 5 runs in the top of the 9th, to win 6-4, and when "leaving the game" it fucking crashed on me.

Sorry to hear that.

This is fixed in patch1
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #716
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Strange. I've seen the AI do bizzare things with high contract players. But guys making that? Not often. The AI bugs just keep getting deeper and deeper. Good luck Mr. Duffy, I don't see how you squash all of these.

We'll do our best! I dont think we'll ever get every bug though!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:32 AM   #717
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Alright, I just played out another game, and found more disturbing AI decision making - this time on the field.

It's 8-8, bottom of the 9th. 0 out, and I have runners on 1st and 3rd. My batters hits a ground ball down the line, the first basemen grabs it and throws the ball to second. The winning run scores, and the game is over.

Did you post this one in their tech support forum?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #718
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbonnell
I followed along with the game manual and was blown away by how flexible this thing is.

Just as long as you don't actually try and play it, you should continue to be blown away.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #719
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
Just as long as you don't actually try and play it, you should continue to be blown away.
No fair recycling comments from the Maximum Football thread!

Last edited by Toddzilla : 06-06-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #720
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Did you post this one in their tech support forum?

I tried, but didn't see an appropriate place to put it. The tech support didn't look like it was for bugs, but instead for crashes and hardware issues.

Instead, I PM'ed this to Marc Duffy, maybe he'll pass the info on.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #721
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I tried, but didn't see an appropriate place to put it. The tech support didn't look like it was for bugs, but instead for crashes and hardware issues.

Instead, I PM'ed this to Marc Duffy, maybe he'll pass the info on.

Tech support is for everything kind of lumped together.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #722
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Passed on, thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #723
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think it's safe to say it's going to be awhile before the game is stable or at least worthy of a demo looksie.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #724
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I think it's safe to say it's going to be awhile before the game is stable or at least worthy of a demo looksie.

I don't..

It';s got bugs yes, all new games have bugs, especially first gen games (which this really is, Markus + SI's first version)

But it's remarkably bug free to me.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #725
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Got a kick out of this one..

Quote:
I ran into an odd bug (at least I assume its one) today. I left the game simming overnight when I went to bed, and it made it as far as 2009 when the Yankees apparently called up every single player from its AAA team. The game then stopped saying that 'Columbus has an insuffficient number of players on its active roster' or something similar.

Apparently, after a handful of players left due to free agency, the Yankees AI panicked and called up its entire AAA roster!

Needless to say, this is kind of inconvenient...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #726
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm wondering if Skydog has checked this game out at all.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #727
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm wondering if Skydog has checked this game out at all.

Have wondered that myself too, he has always been pretty active in the ootp community.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #728
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I don't..

It';s got bugs yes, all new games have bugs, especially first gen games (which this really is, Markus + SI's first version)

But it's remarkably bug free to me.

Are you telling me this game is playable to you? All the posts over at the ootp forums, all the bugs pointed out here and everything is hunky dory with you?

Well sir, you are only lucky man.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #729
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, I've only encountered a few bugs and the ones I've encountered, I've been able to work around for the most part. It'll be nicer when the game is stable, but..at least I can play lots of seasons without the game not working at all. That's pretty much all I care about when something new comes out anyway, is being able to just mess around with it and get familiar.

At least these games have patches. Too bad the only patch that come with console games that cost more are "next year's version."
Old 06-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #730
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Are you telling me this game is playable to you? All the posts over at the ootp forums, all the bugs pointed out here and everything is hunky dory with you?

There are a few issues but from what I've seen it isn't as bug ridden as some here seem to think. I'm enjoying it greatly.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #731
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
At least these games have patches. Too bad the only patch that come with console games that cost more are "next year's version."

This is false, at least regarding the Xbox and the 360.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #732
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'm having fun with the game as well. Only had one crash so far last night....stupid thunder storm Wasn't so bad though, the half month I lost was pretty lowsy.

Yes, there's a lot to iron out, but I'm finding it playable and enjoyable. Maybe that will change the first time I really get screwed over by a bug.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #733
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks. Now back to my playoffs
Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #734
MrBug708
Head Coach

My name is being used a lot in this thread
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #735
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

More power to the guys that took the blue pill and can sim on. Me, I'm dedicating myself to FM for the summer.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #736
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, at least there's hope!!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #737
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mainly I think we've been so conditioned to harp on every single bug out there that it's really poisoned folks toward any new games..

Is it super polished? heck no, but is it playable? Heck yeah.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #738
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
More power to the guys that took the blue pill and can sim on. Me, I'm dedicating myself to FM for the summer.
Me too!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #739
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'm probably doing it very backwards, but FM will probably be the next text sim I try. Just don't know if I can make the leap to soccer. Maybe if I could take over an Irish club.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #740
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Mainly I think we've been so conditioned to harp on every single bug out there that it's really poisoned folks toward any new games..

Is it super polished? heck no, but is it playable? Heck yeah.

Is it? I mean, I've thought long and hard about this the last couple of days as my enjoyment of the game went from fairly high to beyond frustrated.

You said in an earlier post "back to my series" That's interesting, because I too hit a series last night. Playoff series to be exact. And the opposing teams MR pitcher played 2 innings at SS to finish off one of game 2.

Am I being nitpicky by causing that type of bug to destroy my enjoyment of the game? Would it be better if I just pretended it never happened? Or how about when I look at roster moves like have been given examples of in this thread? Is it acceptable to be bothered by that or should I pretend that doesn't exist as well.

I mean, I can see IRL how Alex Rodriguez may finish his career with a year in A ball and 2 in AA. I suppose I should again, shut my eyes and repeat "it's a game, it's a game, it's a game"

I mean, complaining about these types of bugs is just being nitpicky afterall.

Last edited by TroyF : 06-06-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #741
JS19
College Prospect

Being that this thread is 15 pages I'm not gonna read through it all so its probably been posted already. I havent been playing the game much at all bc of computer reasons but I noticed if I ask my manager to set lineups that he will not put the best players at all positions. This is just ine example but my All-Star 3B would be on the bench while some washed up guy takes the spot.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #742
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it? I mean, I've thought long and hard about this the last couple of days as my enjoyment of the game went from fairly high to beyond frustrated.

You said in an earlier post "back to my series" That's interesting, because I too hit a series last night. Playoff series to be exact. And the opposing teams MR pitcher played 2 innings at SS to finish off one of game 2.

Am I being nitpicky by causing that type of bug to destroy my enjoyment of the game? Would it be better if I just pretended it never happened? Or how about when I look at roster moves like have been given examples of in this thread? Is it acceptable to be bothered by that or should I pretend that doesn't exist as well.

I mean, I can see IRL how Alex Rodriguez may finish his career with a year in A ball and 2 in AA. I suppose I should again, shut my eyes and repeat "it's a game, it's a game, it's a game"

I mean, complaining about these types of bugs is just being nitpicky afterall.

The voice of reason. I don't mind some goofyness, heck I'm still playing 6.5 like crazy, but some of the issues I'm reading downright make me scratch my head in disbelief.

We'll see what you all think after the patch is released tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #743
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Taking the risk of violating the NDA, I can confirm that this issue is fixed in the 1st patch.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #744
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Taking the risk of violating the NDA, I can confirm that this issue is fixed in the 1st patch.
You've simmed a hundred years and looked back at the almanac to confirm this? Or at least someone did?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #745
TroyF
Coordinator

spleen,

I've tried to hold off on any serious nagativity about the game until the SECOND patch is released. If the first takes care of some of the major issues (this being one of them), I'm going to be thrilled.

The reason for that outburst was the comment of how people are unfairly harping on the game. I'm sorry, but people have every right to be upset about some of the bugs in the release version. People may have a tough time believing it, but I'm usually fairly easy on games. I'm not whining about questionable logic of the AI bunting in the 6th inning of game #45.

I'm complaining about legitimate issues. A majority of the people in this thread, especially by those of us who own the game are fair, legitimate gripes. We've also been fair to the game by not shredding it non stop. I don't want people in here acting as though our concerns aren't legitimate. Nor will I listen to someone say we are just harping on things that won't matter to the average FOFCer.

We aren't making this crap up. We are giving an honest assessment of what we see. To insinuate anything else is unfair.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #746
SunDevil
College Prospect

And besides no one has done limmericks yet or made up songs or posted crazy pictures about this game yet, so it's not like this game is getting the MF treatment.

But Spleen, I was hoping that the beer tent made it into the first patch?
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #747
Icy
Pro Starter

I bought it, played a couple of hours and i have it parked by now. I will play FM solo and OOTP6.5 online until most of the bugs are fixed. I must admit that the forums have influenced me a lot, i can't start any serious dynasty reading all the bugs at ootp forums as i don't want to get frustrated too soon and forget the game forever. I'll just let the time pass and will give it another chance after 2 patches, the game has potential for sure, now let's see how fast do the green bars become red.

Last edited by Icy : 06-06-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #748
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... but is it playable? Heck yeah.

I don't know if "playable" is really the correct word for this situation.

Is it playable? Based on the various reports I'm reading here, yeah, the game by & large functions, it runs (more often than not), etc. In short, it is playable.

Perhaps a better word would be "enjoyable", or "pleasurable". That's where I believe this fails, there's simply no way in hell I could enjoy a game with the sort of bugs this one has shipped with. A problem that's compounded by how easily they were spotted. I mean, c'mon Fozzie, the HTML reports alone provided examples of some of the most egregious problems (the multi-position pitchers, the retirement age players in rookie ball). AFAIC, those are downright embarassing problems, and it boggles my mind that SI isn't embarassed by them being released to the world. And I mean that exactly, it is truly mind boggling to me that they don't seem to be embarassed by it, and it's almost equally mind-boggling to me that the criticism they've received for it hasn't been a hundredfold what I've seen here. I just can't fathom the acceptance of problems like that.

Clearly, YMMV, I'm cool with that. I'm a guy who'll say that he feels like he got his money's worth out of last year's version of Baseball Mogul, which is a decidedly minority opinion here. It most definitely had a number of flaws but I managed to find a way to wrest some enjoyment out of it, enough so that I feel like the purchase was a fair bargain. Point being, I'm fine with enjoying something that isn't universally acclaimed, I'm okay with you enjoying something I find laughable. (Hell, I don't think there's too many people here who would understand why I'm having such a blast with a recently released professional bull riding quick-play game for the tabletop, but I'm happy as a lark with it right now & would really like to shut down all other activity and just play it all day for a few weeks straight).

Anyhow, like I was saying, I'm okay with you and whoever enjoying the game, but damned if I can understand how you're able to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy pitchers in right field and A-Rod clones playing three years of minor league ball as they approach their 40th birthday.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #749
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Yeah, I've only encountered a few bugs and the ones I've encountered, I've been able to work around for the most part. It'll be nicer when the game is stable, but..at least I can play lots of seasons without the game not working at all. That's pretty much all I care about when something new comes out anyway, is being able to just mess around with it and get familiar.

The AI makes it unplayable as a solo game right now. It's so bad, it's not even worth trying.

I was trying to do the same thing, but I got a feel for the UI and now I'll just wait until it's playable.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #750
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's because I have yet to get to A) Pitchers in RF, and B) The second problem is because I'm actually playing games and not auto simming a hundred years and then complaining about every issue found.

Edit: By the time I get there, it will be fixed (like the issue in B) about pitchers playing the field which is fixed in TOMMORROW'S patch.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-06-2006 at 06:05 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote