Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #701
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Great hockey game; my cousin was there, had a blast.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #702
samifan24
Pro Starter

What an exciting Team USA upset over Canada. That was one of the most exciting hockey games I've watched in a long time! USA! USA!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #703
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What an exciting Team USA upset over Canada. That was one of the most exciting hockey games I've watched in a long time! USA! USA!

Looking forward to the Sweden-Finland game as well. Two rivals with loads to talent each.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #704
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
So what exactly do the results of tonight's Finland-Sweden game have to be for the USA to get the first seed? Also, Canada is the 6th seed against No. 11 seed Germany. Russia is the 3rd seed? Who gets the 4th bye?

Also, are teams re-seeded after each round?

If Finland wins they are the #1 seed, If Sweeden wins US is #1. The loser of this game is the #4 seed.

No reseeding after each round.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #705
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So what exactly do the results of tonight's Finland-Sweden game have to be for the USA to get the first seed? Also, Canada is the 6th seed against No. 11 seed Germany. Russia is the 3rd seed? Who gets the 4th bye?

Also, are teams re-seeded after each round?

There is no re-seeding. #1 plays winner of #8 and #9 even if say, #5 loses to #12.

If goal difference is the tiebreaker Finland will be seeded #1 and USA #2 if Finland wins in regulation. Any other result would have USA seeded #1 unless Sweden won by five or more goals.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #706
Galaxy
Coordinator

Thanks for the info.

So: 1 vs. 8/9
4 vs. 5/12

2 vs. 7/10
3 vs. 6/11

The bracket will break out in that order?

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-21-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #707
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Some funny wiki edits.

Miller is now Ryan "The Canada Killer" Miller.

And in another section

Quote:
See under:

God

Broduer's was also listed having him dying today in Vancouver.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #708
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Whoever the hell MSNBC/NBC had doing the post-game highlights for the US/Canada game and handling the whole post-game analysis was absolutely awful. Abysmal. "Boom goes the dynamite" bad. Not only did have no idea what he was talking about, but he came across like a complete ass.

Eruzione and the Sports Illustrated guy were fine, but the "host" guy was... I wanted to stab him in the face.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #709
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not funny about Brodeur
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #710
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I wanted to stab him in the face.

Anger issues?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #711
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Whoever the hell MSNBC/NBC had doing the post-game highlights for the US/Canada game and handling the whole post-game analysis was absolutely awful. Abysmal. "Boom goes the dynamite" bad. Not only did have no idea what he was talking about, but he came across like a complete ass.

Eruzione and the Sports Illustrated guy were fine, but the "host" guy was... I wanted to stab him in the face.

He was out of his depth for sure. And he wasn't helped by the on-screen highlights being in a different order than he thought they would be in. They probably should have just had Roenick and the other two guys from the pre-game go through the highlights.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #712
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

NBC's coverage is just so poor so I'm going to vent over just three things I saw just in the post-game coverage:

1) They said that Brian Rafalski won 3 Stanley Cups with the Red Wings. He won just won but 2 others with the Devils right? I know these guys may not be NHL officionados but if you don't know, don't say it.

2) They had a lower-third graphic up saying that Rafalski had scored 2 goals for USA just after they mentioned, and CLEARLY showed, that he scored a hat trick (3 goals!).

3) That damn crowd shot with the reporter trying to talk over the screaming fans. Why, from a broadcast perspective, did someone not either notify that dude no one could hear him or why didn't the anchors and/or producers in studio jump in and divert?

Not to mention, half of the score-keeping graphics for some of the more obscure competitions keep leaving me saying, "huh? What the hell does that even say?!?!" I mean, it's like you have to sit and decipher some sort of code to figure out what a person's score is...and I'm not talking being unfamiliar with the sport, just the way in which they show some of the stat output.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #713
Logan
Head Coach

Rafalski's shot was deflected in by Langenbrunner, he didn't have a hat trick.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #714
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

He also kept trying to compare this game to The Miracle On Ice. It's not even close. It's a good win, sure, but it's the preliminary round and everyone on the ice was an NHL player.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #715
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Miller was great, Brodeur wasn't even good. That's the difference. Canada dominated the game.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #716
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The NHL Network was showing the final series of the 1996 World Cup between US and Canada today. I watched the final game of that series between the Czech/Russia and US/Canada game. It's amazing what a different game it is today. Astounding.

It was also weird to see Lyle Odelein playing for Canada. I mean, really? In 1996 Lyle Odelein was one of the six best Canadian defensemen?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #717
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Miller was great, Brodeur wasn't even good. That's the difference. Canada dominated the game.

not sure what game you were watching - Canada didn't dominate at all. They might have dominated brief stretches, but they far from dominated.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #718
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Agreed for the most part. The US got lucky getting those first two goals and putting some pressure on Canada. That second goal was particularly bad given Brodeurs ood baseball swing at the puck that led to it and then having the puck bank in off his pad. Brodeur was a bit unlucky with some of the deflections (Rafalski's first goal and the Langenbruner goal).

Other than Miller and Rafalski, there really wasn't any player who stood out for the US. Oprik played pretty well defensively and they got a solid defensive performance out of Callahan, but none of their forwards really generated much offensively. Kane had some nice moves that led to nothing and Ryan showed some flashed, but overall the US forwards were non-existent offensively. Really great effort by Kesler on that last goal.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #719
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, not sure how this is even being compared to the Miracle on Ice or how this is even a crazy upset. I didn't have confidence in Canada winning today, I thought it was a toss-up. No way would I call Canada a big favourite.

Also, yes, Canada dominated (45 to 23 in shots, come on) but the U.S. took advantage of mistakes, whereas Miller was amazing for the U.S. and they took advantage of Canada's mistakes (and Brodeur played like crap).

Congrats to the U.S., I hope we meet again for a medal.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #720
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
not sure what game you were watching - Canada didn't dominate at all. They might have dominated brief stretches, but they far from dominated.

Agreed. I liked that way Canada finished, but overall I was impressed with the speed of the US forwards and felt they gave the Canadian defence some real problems at times. Canada needs to move to Luongo and really start to reduce Niedermayer's ice time. He was always the weakest inclusion on the team, I felt, and I think it's showing. This is a young man's game now.

All that said, Canada was fantastic at times (especially in the last 7 minutes or so) and if they can bring that intensity for longer stretches they will give a lot of teams fits. Miller really did save that game for the US, and if Babcock can have the balls to tell Marty and Nieds to hit the pine we may not be playing from behind all the time.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #721
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

To steal a line from Bernie Parent...

"Only the Lord Saves more than Ryan Miller"

Marty Brodeur was drunk.

Way to go USA!

Canada may have the better superstars but USA had the better TEAM.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #722
MikeVic
Head Coach

Their defensive collapsing played really well too. With the Juniors and now Olympics, the U.S. defense/goaltending has impressed me with the last two matchups.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #723
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres head coach and Canada assistant coach Lindy Ruff had to be thinking of ways to beat Miller going into this game.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #724
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Agreed. I liked that way Canada finished, but overall I was impressed with the speed of the US forwards and felt they gave the Canadian defence some real problems at times. Canada needs to move to Luongo and really start to reduce Niedermayer's ice time. He was always the weakest inclusion on the team, I felt, and I think it's showing. This is a young man's game now.

All that said, Canada was fantastic at times (especially in the last 7 minutes or so) and if they can bring that intensity for longer stretches they will give a lot of teams fits. Miller really did save that game for the US, and if Babcock can have the balls to tell Marty and Nieds to hit the pine we may not be playing from behind all the time.

I thought both teams had their stretches (Canada maybe a few more).

It's interesting to think that Canada would be playing Russia in the quarterfinals. And if Sweden can win tonight, the U.S. will avoid those three teams until the medal games.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-21-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #725
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Havent caught up on the thread because I have some stuff DVRed.

Watched the game tonight at a bar in Seattle, there were a ton of Canadian fans and a ton of USA fans. Was such a great atmosphere. We gave them all shit after the first goal and there was a lot of chanting and good natured ribbing going on. The whole experience was awesome, just a great time.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #726
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Any other result would have USA seeded #1 unless Sweden won by five or more goals.

Hopefully the Fins can keep Sweden from that result.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #727
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

From what the announcers have said USA has the tiebreaker on Sweden if points and GD are equal so Sweden would need to win by six, not five like I previously posted.

Sweden are up 3-0 after two periods, it could be close.

Assuming Finland doesn't get beat that badly:

USA plays Switzerland - Beralus winner in QFs followed the winner of Finland - Czech Republic/Latvia.

So there's a good chance USA wouldn't have to play Canada/Russia/Sweden until the gold medal game. The three pre-Olympic medal favorites would all be on the same half of the draw.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #728
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
From what the announcers have said USA has the tiebreaker on Sweden if points and GD are equal so Sweden would need to win by six, not five like I previously posted.

Sweden are up 3-0 after two periods, it could be close.

Assuming Finland doesn't get beat that badly:

USA plays Switzerland - Beralus winner in QFs followed the winner of Finland - Czech Republic/Latvia.

So there's a good chance USA wouldn't have to play Canada/Russia/Sweden until the gold medal game. The three pre-Olympic medal favorites would all be on the same half of the draw.

Is Slovenia the 7th seed?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #729
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there a reason why every team makes the medal round? Why not just knock off the last 4 so that the preliminaries mean a little more.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #730
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Is Slovenia the 7th seed?

Slovakia (close on the spelling and the geography, Slovenia did not send a team) is. They will play Norway for a chance to play Sweden (unless there's a big change in the Sweden-Finland game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
Is there a reason why every team makes the medal round? Why not just knock off the last 4 so that the preliminaries mean a little more.

Good question. Maybe the organizers don't think there are enough games to fairly eliminate some teams so they say "fuck it, let's just put everyone in the playoffs." Maybe the hockey games are a big draw and the IOC likes money.

As opposed to a less strenuous sport like curling where it's a ten team round robin with the best four teams making the semifinals and 5-10 being out of it. The US teams would benefit from a hockey style tournament in curling

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-22-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #731
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Slovakia (close on the spelling and the geography, Slovenia did not send a team) is. They will play Norway for a chance to play Sweden (unless there's a big change in the Sweden-Finland game).
(

Doh.

Very nice that you'll have Slovakia in that bracket as well. I think they're a very underrated team. (those will be some great games to watch as well).

*-Provided the end of the Sweden-Finland game doesn't change:

(9) Belarus vs. (8) Switzerland vs. (1) USA
(12) Latvia vs. (5) Czech Republic vs. (4) Finland

(10) Norway vs. (7) Slovakia vs. (2) Sweden
(11) Germany vs. (6) Canada vs. (3) Russia

The higher seeds are the home team (including Canada, regardless of the home country advantage), correct? Advantage to the getting the right to send out their lines after the other team on play-stoppage line changes.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-22-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #732
Kevin
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think the throws and the strategy are pretty interesting. My issue with curling revolves 100% around the time of it. It just seems like there's way too much time between shots, and then there's too many throws and ends. Speed it up and I'd be able to sit through it all, instead of turning over to "Almost Famous" on TBS and missing the end of the USA-SWE match like I did today.

I take the opposite view. 8 ends is too short. The World Curling Tour has cut back to 8 ends to soothe television and it has ruined big events in my opinion. I remember when Canadian Championships were 12 end games. In fact, curling in its infancy was usually 22 ends with a meal at halfway. Mind you the ice was so slow that ends took about half the time they do now.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #733
Butter
Coordinator

I'd be a lot more excited about the US win over Canada if that had been a medal round game.

Last edited by Butter : 02-22-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #734
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'd be a lot more excited about the US win over Canada if that had been a medal round game.

Tell all the Canucks in that arena last night that it was a meaningless preliminary round game.

I didn't chime in at all last night, but watched the whole game. Miller was incredible.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #735
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Beating Canada (in their country) for the first time in 50 years in Olympic hockey is something to get excited about.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #736
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Beating Canada (in their country) for the first time in 50 years in Olympic hockey is something to get excited about.

It also makes the road to the medal round much easier. The US will likely play the Swiss in the quarters and then either the Czechs or Fins in the semis. Canada, on the other hand, will have to play Russia in the quarters and then likely Sweden.

Going into the tournament, Canada, Russia, and Sweden were pretty much ranked 1, 2, and 3, so that's a much tougher road.

Given the nature of the short tournament - the one and done elimination round - almost any of, say, the top 7 teams has a chance. One bad bounce, a hot goalie...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #737
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
To steal a line from Bernie Parent...

"Only the Lord Saves more than Ryan Miller"

Marty Brodeur was drunk.

Way to go USA!

Canada may have the better superstars but USA had the better TEAM.

Wrong, they had the better goaltender.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #738
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Most of the game was in the US end. They peppered Miller with shot after shot and if he doesn't stand on his end it's a blowout the other way. Yeah, Canada thoroughly outplayed the US.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #739
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Yeah, you wouldn't want to watch USA/Canada in HD or anything you?

TWC in RDU has it in HD on MSNBC-HD.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #740
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
havent read most of the posts today, but im glad it was on msnbc. they didnt have any commercials. try that on nbc.

I agree with the posts earlier: hockey is even more fun to watch without all the TV timeouts breaking up the flow of the game.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #741
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wrong, they had the better goaltender.

Last time I checked the goalie was on the team, unless in Canada they have a different set of rules. Goalies are a big part of the game especially in a short tournament. We also had the better defense man since Rafalski had two goals, none of your defense men had 2. Watching as much hockey as I am sure you do, shots don't always tell the story. Yeah Canada had their extended time in the US zone but they didn't have the sense of desperation to score the goals that the US seemed to have. That's why I stand by my statement the the US is a better Team. They are built like a hockey team with 3rd line gritty guys and players who know their roles. Where the Canadians are a bunch of superstars expected to mesh. If they play in the gold medal game the game could go completely different, but until then the final score read USA 5 Canada 3.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-22-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #742
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
TWC in RDU has it in HD on MSNBC-HD.

Unfortunately, my Comcast doesn't have MSNBC in HD. Disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I agree with the posts earlier: hockey is even more fun to watch without all the TV timeouts breaking up the flow of the game.

Same could be said for pretty much any sport. But having no timeouts during the period for the US games has been excellent. A much swifter pace and a little more time for analysis.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #743
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

It wasn't an elimination game for last night, but it eliminates either Canada or Russia before the semifinals, which is a huge bonus.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #744
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Most of the game was in the US end. They peppered Miller with shot after shot and if he doesn't stand on his end it's a blowout the other way. Yeah, Canada thoroughly outplayed the US.

I bet you're a Vikings fan also.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #745
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Last time I checked the goalie was on the team, unless in Canada they have a different set of rules. Goalies are a big part of the game especially in a short tournament. We also had the better defense man since Rafalski had two goals, none of your defense men had 2. Watching as much hockey as I am sure you do, shots don't always tell the story. Yeah Canada had their extended time in the US zone but they didn't have the sense of desperation to score the goals that the US seemed to have. That's why I stand by my statement the the US is a better Team. They are built like a hockey team with 3rd line gritty guys and players who know their roles. Where the Canadians are a bunch of superstars expected to mesh. If they play in the gold medal game the game could go completely different, but until then the final score read USA 5 Canada 3.

No offense, Dr. Sak, but I think you are a little off-base here. Watch that game again and tell me the Canadians didn't have them on the ropes for probably 75% of the game. Miller and the "collapse to the net and block as many shots as possible" gameplan won that game for you...not being the better team. I'm sure the US led in shot blocks as well and I'm guessing that number would've been pretty close to the number of saves Miller made, if not more.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Americans, again, they played to their strengths by huddling around Miller...but that is a risky sort of gameplan because they need to get ALL the bounces...and they did...to win.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #746
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
No offense, Dr. Sak, but I think you are a little off-base here. Watch that game again and tell me the Canadians didn't have them on the ropes for probably 75% of the game. Miller and the "collapse to the net and block as many shots as possible" gameplan won that game for you...not being the better team. I'm sure the US led in shot blocks as well and I'm guessing that number would've been pretty close to the number of saves Miller made, if not more.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Americans, again, they played to their strengths by huddling around Miller...but that is a risky sort of gameplan because they need to get ALL the bounces...and they did...to win.

Canadian refuses to credit hockey talent of another nation. Stunning Development.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #747
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Did a search for a few keywords in this thread but could not find anything about it.

Slovenian cross country skier Petra Majdic fell into a ditch, more like a 10 foot high ravine, while warming up for her cross country sprint qualifying race last Wednesday. She was helped up and was in pain, what nobody knew is how much pain she was into. Turns out it was later learned that at the time, she had broken four ribs and had suffered a collapsed lung. She still went on to compete in not one, two, nor three races, but in all it was two qualifying races, a semi-final and the final, so four races, ending with her winning a bronze medal. Simply mindboggling stuff. Here's one report on her fall:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ite_broke.html

They did a piece on CTV with a physiologist they often have about what happened to her and how she dealt with it and he said he could not understand how she did it. We all know that cross country skiing is really taxing on the lungs, but he went on to show a video of her skiing all the while naming all the muscles who interact and put pressure on her ribs. He said her coach's words to her before that final were that the pain was nothing compared to the 22 years she's been training to get where she was that day. No shit....

I'm sure some of us have had injured ribs, me first after diving hard to stop a ball as a soccer keeper, and we all know how much of a bitch an injury to your ribs is, to see her race four times and never give up and ending with a bronze medal is simply amazing.

They showed a video of how they had to help her up the podium when they gave her the medal, had me choking up some tears. Great, great stuff...

As for that physiologist on CTV, they has some clips on ctvolympics.ca of a series of little pieces he does called SuperBodies. Some really neat stuff in there. Here's a link, I hope it's viewable to people outside of Canada:
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/coll...845/index.html

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 02-22-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added links
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #748
digamma
Torchbearer

So, in the men's hockey all of the teams from the preliminary round make the medal play-offs?

Story totally checks out.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #749
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Canadian refuses to credit hockey talent of another nation. Stunning Development.

+1

Obviously gameplan, goaltending and shotblocking aren't part of hockey. If you have more shots on goal then you are the better team.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #750
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post

They did have a lot of the play in the American's end for long periods of time but you are a being bit contradictory in your statements. The American's played to their strengths, they know they can't match line for line with the talent the Canadians have so they did what they had to do and yes they were the better team, the scoreboard showed it at the end.

Up two goals late in the third, really what did you expect the Americans to do but hunker down and try and block everything? They weren't going to take any chances.

We (Americans) all knew that we would have to ride Ryan Miller to the gold. How is that any different than what New Jersey did with Brodeur for their cup runs? They didn't have my offense, so were they not the better teams all those years they won the cups just because they had the better goalie?

Pronger and Nidermeyer looked their age last night, and Brodeur did not have a good game at all. The US has done a better job than Canada (as of this moment) putting the right line combos together. They have two above average scoring lines and two checking lines. Guys have defined roles on the team, unlike Canada who IMO believe that they are just going to roll over teams with their superstars. Russia found that not to be true against Slovkia.

At the beginning of the Olympics most thought that the Shark line combo and having two Blackhawks that play together were going to be a huge plus for the Canadians, but Joe Thornton is treating the Olympics like he does the playoffs every year and has become MIA out there.

I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing on sports shows etc about Canada being the better team, no they weren't. I heard after their close call against the Swiss that America better watch out because that game woke up Team Canada.

With all due respect Canada didn't win the game therefore they weren't the better team, in that game. That doesn't mean that if these two teams meet again in the Gold Medal game that Canada won't win, but I am just getting tired of it seeming as if the American's lucked their way into that victory last night.