Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #701
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Bit of a shocker out of New England as Dominique Easley is released. I know he had season ending injuries each of his first two seasons, but when he played he was good, and unless a team claims him off waivers (which is actually possible here) we owe more on the 2016 Salary Cap than if we kept him. I guess there were differences in opinion on rehab (he's been over in Germany doing some "experimental" treatments...) and he might be facing charges for a dog bite injury, but pretty shocking timing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #702
Logan
Head Coach

Reports coming out that the Rams have traded up to #1.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #703
Logan
Head Coach

Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #704
Logan
Head Coach

That's a whole lot for a QB that not everyone agrees on.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #705
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Has to be for Wentz, right?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #706
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I wonder who they are targeting. They have Mariota, and traded for Demarco Murray. Maybe Tunsil to anchor the O line?

edit: never mind, got my teams reversed
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-14-2016 at 08:12 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #707
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I wonder who they are targeting. They have Mariota, and traded for Demarco Murray. Maybe Tunsil to anchor the O line?

Other way. TEN had the #1. People thought they were grabbing Tunsil for Mariota.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #708
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Other way. TEN had the #1. People thought they were grabbing Tunsil for Mariota.

Yep, need more coffee
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #709
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Great move by the Titans.

Jury will be out on whether it is a great move for the Rams until we see whether the QB (whichever one they pick) pans out.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #710
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's a whole lot for a QB that not everyone agrees on.

Trading away six potential contributors on a maybe prospect. Seems like Fisher has found a way to keep his job for at least the next couple of years without needing to sniff .500.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #711
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wow. Looks like a landslide in favor of TEN considering neither of these guys seem like a future Top 5 QB. Guess we'll have to mark this thread for a time capsule check in 5 years.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #712
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Louisiana has a "stand your ground" law, and Hayes (Smith's shooter) certainly appears that he will attempt to rely on it, based on the groundwork being laid by his lawyer.

I do not know enough to speculate on guilt, innocence, or self-defense. But it looks like this ugly story will be around for quite a while.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #713
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

As a Colts fan I'm not a fan of this trade.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #714
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Wow. Looks like a landslide in favor of TEN considering neither of these guys seem like a future Top 5 QB. Guess we'll have to mark this thread for a time capsule check in 5 years.

They are going to LA. They need a splash guy. Not shocked they would do something like this at all.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #715
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

As a Jags fan, I hear ya

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #716
cartman
Death Herald

So... would you say... the Rams got... dare I say...

Fleeced?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #717
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
As a Jags fan, I hear ya

The trade is offset by having Mike Mularkey as the Titans head coach.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #718
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
They are going to LA. They need a splash guy. Not shocked they would do something like this at all.

But who is the splash guy?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #719
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
But who is the splash guy?

I'm betting on Jim Everett!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #720
MrBug708
Head Coach

This will make fisher just good enough to stick around another year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #721
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
This will make fisher just good enough to stick around another year

Or just bad enough that he can argue that he couldn't win with a rookie QB.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #722
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fisher is like the Marion Berry of Head Coaches. He can do whatever he wants and nothing will ever depose him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #723
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

yeah I agree. Until we see how Wentz does against NFL competition hard to give this a "final" grade. Big risk for the Rams giving up so many of their draft picks if he fails though. Cleveland (picking #2) probably not happy if they wanted Wentz. Maybe they get the tackle to protect RGIII now?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #724
Logan
Head Coach

I like the "no half measures" approach they took at least. If they believe one of these is the guy, do whatever is necessary to get him. I think they're wrong, but that's not my call.

I get the idea of making a splash but I think that would be aimed more at having that guy for moving into the new stadium, not immediately. If they have trouble moving tickets in year 1, that's a problem.

If this was FOF, I use those two mid 2nds this year to maybe go for a 3rd this year and a 2017 1st. Maybe you luck out and that team ends up drafting higher than expected, or you have extra capital to move up next year for a premium player.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #725
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I like the "no half measures" approach they took at least. If they believe one of these is the guy, do whatever is necessary to get him. I think they're wrong, but that's not my call.

They had front row seats to where this took the Redskins.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #726
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a stupid trade by the Rams... oh well not that I care anymore.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #727
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The big name talking heads from LA might want to get on the same page here....

Last edited by Arles : 04-14-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #728
Alf
Pro Starter

SF at #7 is the team likely not happy with that trade since neither Goff or Wentz will be available for them anymore.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #729
Kodos
Resident Alien

Von Miller pokes fun at Cam Newton with water polo image

Pretty funny.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #730
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

indeed
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #731
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Agree with Vex etc... Is the guy nobody had heard of 2 months ago a bigger splash guy than the Cal product who's been on the radar for a couple years?

If you think Wentz (or Goff) is that stud, good for you, but I think when you have 2.5 QB's on that tier (I think Lynch is Jeff George 2.0, but I also think if he goes to like the Broncos he could pan out) I'd rather just wait to see if one drops.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #732
Logan
Head Coach

People seem to think this move means SF could trade up to #2, or that they'd even take a guy like Lynch at #7. I think that would be nuts. This just ensured that an impact defensive player will be there at 7. Grab him then either wait to address QB in the 2nd, or use some of those extra picks to move back into the 1st round.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #733
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
People seem to think this move means SF could trade up to #2, or that they'd even take a guy like Lynch at #7. I think that would be nuts. This just ensured that an impact defensive player will be there at 7. Grab him then either wait to address QB in the 2nd, or use some of those extra picks to move back into the 1st round.
Seriously. Worst case just roll with Kaepernick for a year and draft a QB high next year if necessary. (Or use that possibility as leverage against the Broncos if they really want him.) 49ers clearly need a different long-term QB, but does anyone think they're a 1-year turnaround?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #734
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think it's a good trade for the Rams. It has generally said that the Rams only weakness (besides head coach) is at QB. This takes care of that (as oppose at 1-15). The Rams have been competitive inside the division but needed to get over the consistency hump and this may do it.

Now if we could get them to change their awful St. Louis colors back to what the real Rams wore...
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #735
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can we get the Falcons to wear their old (80s and 90s) unis while we're at it?

Last edited by Kodos : 04-14-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #736
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

This. My hope is the 49ers stand pat and take whoever of Buckner, Jack, Ramsey or Bosa which falls to them. They can then take Cook in the 2nd or, the option I really prefer, Vernon Adams, Jr. in the 4th or 5th rounds.

The 49ers need impact players, and any of those four guys looks like a stud. I'd roll with Kaepernick, Gabbert and Adam and, if the team really sucks, shoot for Watson at the top of the 2017 draft.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #737
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think both Goff and Wentz will be good QBs, but I think Goff will be ready now and develop faster. Wentz will need a year to prepare for the starting role.. I see Goff's floor as current Alex Smith, ceiling is probably in the lower realm of Aaron Rodgers. Wentz seems like a mix between Carson Palmer and Blake Bortles. Really like Goff though, he is the kind of guy who will pick defenses apart with short and intermediate accuracy if he is protected and has at least average receivers. He also seems like a guy who you can beat if you can rush him and strip sacks will be a concern. Wentz gives me the vibe that he is more of a gunslinger who will win his share with late heroics while occasionally throwing a game away by trying to do too much.

I think the Rams would be better served with Goff, and I think Wentz has the makeup to deal with the stigma of being a Browns QB. He seems pretty headstrong.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 04-14-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #738
Atocep
Coordinator

I think Goff is the better QB and has nice ceiling. Wentz is a risk I wouldn't be willing to take in the top 5.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #739
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I think it's a good trade for the Rams. It has generally said that the Rams only weakness (besides head coach) is at QB. This takes care of that (as oppose at 1-15). The Rams have been competitive inside the division but needed to get over the consistency hump and this may do it.

Now if we could get them to change their awful St. Louis colors back to what the real Rams wore...

I nothing about either QB.. so I guess I'll wait and see if the one they choose will be able to take the starting QB role.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #740
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No surprise that Cincy plays at Pitt in week 2 while Burfict is still suspended.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 AM   #741
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Louisiana has a "stand your ground" law, and Hayes (Smith's shooter) certainly appears that he will attempt to rely on it, based on the groundwork being laid by his lawyer.

I do not know enough to speculate on guilt, innocence, or self-defense. But it looks like this ugly story will be around for quite a while.

Yeah, not sure how convincing SYG will be when I believe all the shots were to Smith's back.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #742
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

I like this deal....for the Giants.

I think it means an artificial run on the QBs in the top 10 which means we'll have an unexpectedlygood player available at 10.

Can't fault the Rams for making a move, but Tennessee is getting great value and will have lots of talent to put around Mariota.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #743
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

As a Rams fan I'll say this has at least added some excitement to an otherwise season I was dreading. I think with all of the RG III picks they have built depth that will hopefully see them through the next couple of years of being short picks. At least now, as compared to the Bradford pick, it's not as big a financial risk with the structured deals lowering the "lottery" money they used to have to give these guys. In the end I think it is worth the risk, time will tell.

It's so hard watching them knowing they really are just a QB away from being really really good. I only follow my Hawkeyes and the Big 10 so have no idea, other than opinions heard by the pundits, about Goff or Wentz on who might be better. I'm guessing whoever they take is going to play this year whether they start game 1 or move in during the season. That points to Goff, I guess probably being the more ready coming from D1? Hard to imagine NDST to NFL starter without at least a year of learning.

Its a great deal from the Titans point of view as long as they draft well.

And yes, please LA Rams do not squander this chance to get rid of the gold and dull blue. Return to your LA roots Blue\White preferably or Yellow\Blue as a second.

Last edited by Sweed : 04-15-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: uniforms
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #744
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think Goff is the better QB and has nice ceiling. Wentz is a risk I wouldn't be willing to take in the top 5.

I guess I know very little about Wentz but from the times I did see Goff play nothing really stood out about him that made me think this guy is going to be a great NFL QB. Sure he has some nice tools but he was so inconsistent from game to game and even play to play. I am speculating this is just one of them weak QB years where a team is going to reach for something that isnt there and end up getting burned.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #745
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Can we get the Falcons to wear their old (80s and 90s) unis while we're at it?

Way to leave the Bucs off this wish list. Selfish.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #746
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm stunned at how good his numbers are over the last few seasons. As a Pac-12 fan my perspective was that he was massively inconsistent and didn't show up in the bigger games, but he has great numbers. If I had the time/cared enough I'd go back and watch his games again, because I'm clearly missing something.

At least Hackenburg isn't being discussed as a day one pick any more. Every time I watched him the guy was one of the worst college QB's I'd seen in a while. That one really confused me even more than Goff.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #747
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Way to leave the Bucs off this wish list. Selfish.

Speaking of which.....those alarm clock numbers and absurdly large logos still haven't grown on me.

Unless we define grown on me to mean I don't want to watch the Bucs because their uniforms are annoying.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #748
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I guess I know very little about Wentz but from the times I did see Goff play nothing really stood out about him that made me think this guy is going to be a great NFL QB. Sure he has some nice tools but he was so inconsistent from game to game and even play to play. I am speculating this is just one of them weak QB years where a team is going to reach for something that isnt there and end up getting burned.

Wentz has 1 and a half years of starter experience. That's red flag #1. He didn't dominate a much weaker level of opposition. Red flag #2. He's also 2 full years older than Goff.

He has better physical tools than Goff, but the list of guys with profiles like Wentz that have succeeded in the NFL isn't very long.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #749
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Wentz has 1 and a half years of starter experience. That's red flag #1. He didn't dominate a much weaker level of opposition. Red flag #2. He's also 2 full years older than Goff.

He has better physical tools than Goff, but the list of guys with profiles like Wentz that have succeeded in the NFL isn't very long.

No question, he's got some red flags. I think in any given year he's a mid 2nd round pick. I think he's got some talent, but he isn't a top 5 guy. Having said that. He wasn't a starter because he was playing behind a guy who had been the starter since he was FR, Brock Jensen, who had lead the team to 2 National titles. Your assessment that he had only a 1.5 year as starter is accurate only in the way that he was injured for half his SR year. He would have had 2 full years. He didn't dominate, because the team was not built as a pass heavy, shotgun offense. It was spread around, and he was in pro offense, where he still made reads at the line.

You can't deny the physical skills of the guy, nor can you deny the fact that he got straight A's from high school all the way through college. Sure grades, blah, blah, blah. Remember when the wonderlic scores for Vince Young came out? It was a mix of football smarts, versus book smarts. You can see where he is. Wentz nearly broke the wonderlic he scored so high.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #750
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
No question, he's got some red flags. I think in any given year he's a mid 2nd round pick. I think he's got some talent, but he isn't a top 5 guy. Having said that. He wasn't a starter because he was playing behind a guy who had been the starter since he was FR, Brock Jensen, who had lead the team to 2 National titles. Your assessment that he had only a 1.5 year as starter is accurate only in the way that he was injured for half his SR year. He would have had 2 full years. He didn't dominate, because the team was not built as a pass heavy, shotgun offense. It was spread around, and he was in pro offense, where he still made reads at the line.

You can't deny the physical skills of the guy, nor can you deny the fact that he got straight A's from high school all the way through college. Sure grades, blah, blah, blah. Remember when the wonderlic scores for Vince Young came out? It was a mix of football smarts, versus book smarts. You can see where he is. Wentz nearly broke the wonderlic he scored so high.

Saying he's the starter for 1.5 years wasn't meant to be an indictment of his talent, it's an indictment of live game action that is crucial for a QB's development. There aren't many NFL QBs that have had successful NFL careers with less than 30 college starts.