Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #701
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Gus Hiddik (sp?) to the US after this World Cup.

I believe he has already agreed to coach Russia.

With that said, given that he coached South Korea so well I could live with him, because they're the most similar team in the world to us.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #702
moriarty
College Starter

Arena is just trying to fire his guys up. He's always been like that. They hate being called out on a world stage, and he's betting his ass they'll come out and prove him wrong next game. We'll see...

As for Beasley's comments, he should worry about actually getting in the game, not threatening to play as a striker.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-12-2006 at 07:22 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #703
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, there are a lot of hang-overs in my office today... the Australia-Japan match kicked off at 11pm Sydney time, and I didn't get to bed until around 3-4am... drank way too much to remember clearly, and I'm paying for that sin right now.

What a game though. We really should have won 3-0, though full credit to the Japanese defenders for most of the game. Every time one of our forwards had the ball he was swarmed. We played a solid first half until the Japanese goal, and then we played real sluggish until the late goal explosion.

Up next is Brazil, and I guess the goal of that match is to not get blown out. Hopefully we can limit them to 2 or 3 goals and get one ourselves. A draw would be a miracle. It's a shame that it's televised at 1:30am our time on a Monday morning...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #704
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Arena is just trying to fire his guys up. He's always been like that. They hate being called out on a world stage, and he's betting his ass they'll come out and prove him wrong next game. We'll see...

As for Beasley's comments, he should worry about actually getting in the game, not threatening to play as a striker.

Beasley is a bee-yatch. He shouldn't have started this match and he better fucking not start another match in the WC.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #705
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
that's just really really poor form by arena. and by the players too for that matter, although it sounds like they were mostly reacting. gotta stick together guys

Sounds like Beasley was caught off guard by Arena's comments. That's not good.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #706
marshall881
Mascot

Beasley played like trash, and if he can't admit that after today's performance he has bigger issues to deal with than just his physical performance.

I think Donovan and Keller will use the comments to maybe find some passion and get the rest of the team to at least play with some fire. I don't care if they lose if they at least put forth the effort and play with some passion.

That timid, in awe performance they put in today is worthy of the harshest criticism. They seem to like all the attention leading up to the game, now they must deal with the critics when they play like junk.
marshall881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #707
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I stay clear of it during the day while I tape the games and watch them when I get home. Plus, then the thread gets so incredibly large that I can't read through everything. With that being said...

We need a little less 1v1 talk out of Harkes and the play-by-play guy.

Thank you.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #708
Galaril
Pro Starter

I second fire Arena and please for God sake bring in a foreigner preferably an European. I had a chance to meet Coach Hiddink, who coached the Korea side last world cup. He is an idol in Korea society still to this day. They invented new words in their language for the phenomena of his incredible rise to popularity and companies started to have Hiddink leadership training courses for executives. Korre even gave the guy a honorable citizenship and their was a big grassroots movement, in the general public, to get the law changed so he could become a korean Cctizen automatically removing the 5 year residency requirement (Of course he turned it down). He might be tough on the spoiled americans but he would get "Real" results against quality teams.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-12-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #709
MrBug708
Head Coach

USA 0-2 Germany
USA 1-2 Iran
USA 0-1 Yugoslavia
USA 1-1 Korea
USA 1-3 Poland
USA 0-1 Germany
USA 0-3 Czech Republic

Overall record when Reyna starts in central midfield for the USA in the World Cup:

0-6-1

Goal differential:

Clearly we cannot afford to experiment with other players in Claudio's role
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #710
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
USA 0-2 Germany
USA 1-2 Iran
USA 0-1 Yugoslavia
USA 1-1 Korea
USA 1-3 Poland
USA 0-1 Germany
USA 0-3 Czech Republic

Overall record when Reyna starts in central midfield for the USA in the World Cup:

0-6-1

Goal differential:

i think you meant to say "clearly we can"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #711
MrBug708
Head Coach

No/..
Old 06-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #712
Raven Hawk
College Starter

So I hid from the scores all day so that I could watch the game on TiVo. What a piece of shit that was. Beasley may not have had a good game, but the entire team played like utter trash. Nobody was moving on offense. And the defense? Where was it? Crap. Crap. Crap.

Crap.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #713
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
USA 0-2 Germany
USA 1-2 Iran
USA 0-1 Yugoslavia
USA 1-1 Korea
USA 1-3 Poland
USA 0-1 Germany
USA 0-3 Czech Republic

0-6-1

Goal differential:

I think it's pretty obvious that the problems are not Reyna's.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #714
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I couldn't understand why Donovan wasn't in the line up in the game. Crazy coaching decision.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:12 AM   #715
MrBug708
Head Coach

Huh?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 AM   #716
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Sarcasm.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #717
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Gus Hiddik (sp?) to the US after this World Cup.

Think he's already signed up to coach Russia
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #718
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola,

Please take this for what it is - an outsider trying to provide some objectivity.

What's happening here is that the USA team failed to live up to impossibly hyped expectations. USA are not the 5th or 6th best team in the world, nor are they as bad as some people have posted.

But when people genuinely believe that USA has a chance to win the WC this year, it doesn't matter what happens in the Czech game, people are going to be disappointed - USA is just not at that level yet.

A genuine WC contender has higher level players than Eddie Lewis, Bobby Convery (both in Championship sides for a number of years), Landon Donovan (failed to make an impact in the Bundesliga twice). Others are good but not world beaters (Reyna, McBride, Keller, etc).

In my eyes USA can't win this year because USA fans want to see progression from four years ago, but have landed in one of the two really tough groups in this year's WC, one which regardless of the rankings, would have been a HUGE achievement in itself to get out of, and even if they did they would meet Brazil, over whom victory would rank with the biggest WC shocks.

So either USA fails to get out the group, or loses in the last 16. Either way USA fans are disappointed because they haven't done as well as 2002.

I kept a little quiet (largely because of the treatment MIJB got tbh) before the tourney, and last night when people had swung too far the other way.

The way I see it USA are a team that given an average strength draw are highly likely to make the last 16, have a chance to make the last 8 on occasions, but are no more than this yet. Unfortunately you ran into Italy (traditional powerhouse - unbeaten in 18 going into the WC) & the Czechs (arguably best European team at the moment) in the same group, and Ghana who are one of the toughest 4th seeds.

And before anybody thinks I am a Euro-snob, I think it's unlikely England will win the tourney (especially given the 2nd half performance!), and I think the best team thus far I have seen is Argentina.

Last edited by AlexB : 06-13-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:10 AM   #719
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

That is a very good evaluation.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #720
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Shrug, just my opinion but Arena's problem (in this case) isn't loyalty but inflexibility and lack of imagination. And, now, I'm thinking of adding: cowardice. Calling out your players, even when they were this pathetic, is lame.

While Beasley was fairly invisible, I would have to agree with the assessment that he was played on the wrong side. He's always looked better on the left side which, in my opinion, isn't shocking, given that he's very left-footed dominant. And, unlike someone like Robin van Persie, he doesn't have the strong shot to take advantage of playing on the wrong side (a la Robert Pires) so playing him on the right side is . . . just stupid. Also, unlike Convey, Beasley will actually track back defensively which makes him a far better partner for Lewis (if he must be the left back).

On the other hand, if Lewis is being started JUST because he's the "only" option at left-back, why not start O'Brien, assuming he's remotely healthy? If I understand correctly, he plays back there for his club team so it's not as if he would be playing at an unfamiliar position.

Also, this is about the first time I've seen Reyna play and he seems like he's playing as a deep-lying holding midfielder. Assuming this is a correct assessment, then I think Mastroeni is the wrong partner for him (in spite of me being a fan) since they would both be playing deep. O'Brien (based on what I saw in the last WC) would have been the better partner as he seems more comfortable further up the field and would have been able to link up Reyna and the attackers.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 AM   #721
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

O'Brien was the only player for us who looked worth half a shit in this game. We need to attack Italy on Saturday and the ONLY way we're going to do that is with a box midfield -- Johnson + McBride up front, Donovan & Dempsey (or Convey) running at people, and Reyna + O'Brien distributing and covering on defense. The backline can be the same, though I'd prefer Boca to Pope.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #722
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK
That is a very good evaluation.
Yeah I have no problem with that.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #723
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
USA 0-2 Germany
USA 1-2 Iran
USA 0-1 Yugoslavia
USA 1-1 Korea
USA 1-3 Poland
USA 0-1 Germany
USA 0-3 Czech Republic

0-6-1

He started the 2-0 win over Mexico too.

I think Reyna is one of the very few who was blameless for yesterday, without his workrate and closing down the Czechs would have controlled midfield even more. Pretty much everybody else shares the blame, the young players who didn't show up at all, McBride bringing his poor EPL form into World Cup and being invisible, Donovan and Beasley both being anonymous (Beasley needs to watch that game again if he thinks he didn't suck).

I also wouldn't blame Arena, though I'm surprised at his lashing out press conference. He's always had a name for being a hardass that treats his players bad, but it's worked before, so maybe it will again.

Last edited by Critch : 06-13-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #724
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
He started the 2-0 win over Mexico too.

Yes but he was a right back/right middie in that game.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #725
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Yes but he was a right back/right middie in that game.

Yeah, thought he might have been playing a different position with the "central midfield" bit in the original post.

I defended him anyway cos he used to play for Glasgow Rangers so I like him
Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #726
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I was tremendously disappointed in the way the US played yesterday, and I really think Arena showed a distinct lack of class in calling out his players publicly, BUT - all of this talk about firing him is a bit much. He has totally turned around the US soccer program and deserves better than what he's getting right now. He also has gotten more out of the group of players we have than many others would. I think he has grown tired of coaching the national team. The fact that his contract wasn't extended before the Cup leads me to believe there was more mutual dissatisfaction about his role than has been reported. I would be very surprised if there isn't a change after the tournament is over (even if we miraculously come back and do well against Italy and Ghana.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #727
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here we go with the next game.

and if I see this adidas commercial one more time, Foz go Crazy. It was great the first 900,000 times but if I hear "beck-en-bauer" one more time..
Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #728
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Here we go with the next game.

and if I see this adidas commercial one more time, Foz go Crazy. It was great the first 900,000 times but if I hear "beck-en-bauer" one more time..

I still love that advert, though I've been doing most of my viewing on Setanta so I've not overdosed on it yet.

I would quite beat a Heineken ad exec with a hammer for that "dont you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" advert though.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #729
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh god, Graham Poll is reffing this one?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #730
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Oh god, Graham Poll is reffing this one?

And Otto Pfister is the Togo coach again? When did that happen?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #731
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Dola,

Please take this for what it is - an outsider trying to provide some objectivity.

What's happening here is that the USA team failed to live up to impossibly hyped expectations. USA are not the 5th or 6th best team in the world, nor are they as bad as some people have posted.

But when people genuinely believe that USA has a chance to win the WC this year, it doesn't matter what happens in the Czech game, people are going to be disappointed - USA is just not at that level yet.

A genuine WC contender has higher level players than Eddie Lewis, Bobby Convery (both in Championship sides for a number of years), Landon Donovan (failed to make an impact in the Bundesliga twice). Others are good but not world beaters (Reyna, McBride, Keller, etc).

In my eyes USA can't win this year because USA fans want to see progression from four years ago, but have landed in one of the two really tough groups in this year's WC, one which regardless of the rankings, would have been a HUGE achievement in itself to get out of, and even if they did they would meet Brazil, over whom victory would rank with the biggest WC shocks.

So either USA fails to get out the group, or loses in the last 16. Either way USA fans are disappointed because they haven't done as well as 2002.

I kept a little quiet (largely because of the treatment MIJB got tbh) before the tourney, and last night when people had swung too far the other way.

The way I see it USA are a team that given an average strength draw are highly likely to make the last 16, have a chance to make the last 8 on occasions, but are no more than this yet. Unfortunately you ran into Italy (traditional powerhouse - unbeaten in 18 going into the WC) & the Czechs (arguably best European team at the moment) in the same group, and Ghana who are one of the toughest 4th seeds.

And before anybody thinks I am a Euro-snob, I think it's unlikely England will win the tourney (especially given the 2nd half performance!), and I think the best team thus far I have seen is Argentina.

Jari,

Thanks that was a very diplomatic way to say what you said and I agree with it all.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #732
Butter
Coordinator

Nifty goal by Togo in the first half... KOR are unlucky to be behind, although I imagine our genial Chinese hosts are more than pleased to see that be the case.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #733
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Nifty goal by Togo in the first half... KOR are unlucky to be behind, although I imagine our genial Chinese hosts are more than pleased to see that be the case.

That would definitely be true. Koreans' inherit nature of bragging and boasting certainly pisses off other Asian countries in general. As far the match itself, the Korean coach will be in serious kimchi with the Korean fans, if they lose this one.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-13-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #734
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola,

Euro-snob.

No, you're absolutely right - I think you, I, MIJB and a bunch of others were trying to make this point before the tournament - the US is a decent team that can punch above its weight, but it isn't world class - and there are people eating crow. I'd basically take your point and add on a summary - the US isn't as good as people thought before the tournament, and it isn't as bad those people think now - it was one game, against one of the best attacks in football, in full flow.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #735
Raven Hawk
College Starter

I'm not upset that the US lost to the Czechs. I just was hoping for a showing better than 3-0. I thought that a 1-0 loss would have been a respectable showing against a club like the Czech Republic. I just didn't like what I saw on the field. I never had the expectations that the US would win the cup, I'm just hoping they can get out of group play, but with a 3-0 loss to the Czechs, it seems unlikely. Now US has to either beat Italy and Ghana or draw Italy, then destroy Ghana, hoping the Czechs can beat Italy. Watching a lot of the WC, thus far, you can easily see that the US is not at the caliber it needs to be to contend for the cup.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #736
wade moore
lolzcat

NICE goal by the Korean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #737
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
I'm not upset that the US lost to the Czechs. I just was hoping for a showing better than 3-0. I thought that a 1-0 loss would have been a respectable showing against a club like the Czech Republic. I just didn't like what I saw on the field. I never had the expectations that the US would win the cup, I'm just hoping they can get out of group play,

Yup. The media may be spouting off huge things, but I think a lot of people just wanted to see them put up a respectable showing and win a game or two. The game against the Czechs was ridiculous.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #738
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Think he's already signed up to coach Russia
Yep, Guus Hiddink signed with Russia about a month ago.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #739
MJ4H
Coordinator

I didn't hear anyone with a clue about the game thinking the USA could win the world cup. Most of the positive comments I heard (not necessarily here, as I usually didn't follow the comments here--I'm speaking in general) about the USA's chances were in response to ignorant bashing from people that like to see the USA fail. Now the ESPN studio guys were quite overly optimistic, I'll agree, but that's ok.

But, seriously, I don't know of anyone that over-estimated the USA's chances that much.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-13-2006 at 11:10 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #740
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

"If you like passing, you'll like this game. If you don't like passing that doesn't really go anywhere, you might get a bit bored with this game."
Former England boss Graham Taylor on BBC Five Live

In regards to France - Switzerland right now. Heh.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #741
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
I didn't hear anyone with a clue about the game thinking the USA could win the world cup. Most of the positive comments I heard (not necessarily here, as I usually didn't follow the comments here--I'm speaking in general) about the USA's chances were in response to ignorant bashing from people that like to see the USA fail. Now the ESPN studio guys were quite overly optimistic, I'll agree, but that's ok.

But, seriously, I don't know of anyone that over-estimated the USA's chances that much.

I'm not sure if it were overtly stated (RPI would likely have done so if anyone ) but it is implicit in the defence of USA as a top 5 or even top 10 nation - my take is that a top 5 side or top 10 ten side has the right the think that they could win the WC: therefore if people believe the former I assume they believe the latter.

So no, maybe it wasn't explicity written, but it was implicit in the arguments as I read them
Old 06-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #742
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
"If you like passing, you'll like this game. If you don't like passing that doesn't really go anywhere, you might get a bit bored with this game."
Former England boss Graham Taylor on BBC Five Live

In regards to France - Switzerland right now. Heh.

If only he had finished it with: 'Do I not like this game'
Old 06-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #743
ZXTT
n00b

I have to say, I've been surprised by the expectations for the US from the US media going into this WC. Four years ago was a fantastic result. I've been expecting a first round exit this time. That would be the expected result given the quality of the players, which to me range from decent to solid. Meanwhile Italy and Czech Republic are stocked with stars and Ghana has one in Michael Essien.

What's disappointing about the Czech Republic game though, is the way the US looked, when compared with the way Ghana looked losing to Italy. There was essentially no attack.

Anyway, this a tough, tough tournament, and I certainly hope I don't hear any more of that "32nd out of 32" nonsense some keep spouting about '98. You either advance or you don't and if you don't from a tough group, there's no shame.
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #744
ZXTT
n00b

Quote:
I'm not sure if it were overtly stated (RPI would likely have done so if anyone ) but it is implicit in the defence of USA as a top 5 or even top 10 nation - my take is that a top 5 side or top 10 ten side has the right the think that they could win the WC: therefore if people believe the former I assume they believe the latter.

So no, maybe it wasn't explicity written, but it was implicit in the arguments as I read them

Although anyone defending the FIFA rankings would have to fall into the "doesn't have a clue" category, wouldn't they?
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #745
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXTT
Although anyone defending the FIFA rankings would have to fall into the "doesn't have a clue" category, wouldn't they?

Not really, because you actually have to have a clue to understand that the govrning body of the world cup and soccer in large part everywhere has a ranking system that no one with a clue respects.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #746
MrBug708
Head Coach

That handball just cost the Swiss the game winner
Old 06-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #747
Icy
Pro Starter

Agree with Jari Rantanen's Shorts, good post. USA is not yet a WC contender as your press made it look, but i'm pretty sure that if soccer keeps getting played more and more in the USA, with colleges giving already scholarships, etc etc USA will become a superpower in the next 10 years. Not a lot of countries expend as much resources on the kids learning the sports as USA does, i really envy you. We in Spain don't promote sports at all, there are not sports scholarships, not any sport is played in schools, high schools or universities and of course we have way less citizens that USA so we don't have the potential that you guys have and we are one of the top nations regarding soccer, so imagine what you can do.

I have said it tons of times betwen my Spanish friends and they don't believe me as they don't know anything about the USA sports phillosophy, but i see USA winning the WC in the future, and the MLS as the top worldwide league.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #748
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Hello! Wake up! France-Swiss is finally over.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #749
MrBug708
Head Coach

Icy, you need to just move over here..
Old 06-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #750
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Can anyone explain that adidas commercial to me? I mean, I get the basic idea -- these two kids are picking ten world class soccer players to be on their team. I recognize maybe half the names -- no big deal. But what about that one guy who the little kid (Jose) picks, and the fat kid repeats the name, then laughs at him, then looks all surprised when he shows up? Why is that guy more shocking than all the other ones?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote