Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Will the lockout cost the NBA any games?
Yes 57 79.17%
No 11 15.28%
Trout 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #701
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I think I will stop reading this thread. It's just the same type of comments over and over and over and over (primarily by just a couple of people)

Probably could have just kept this anecdote to yourself. Thanks for letting us know, though!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #702
miami_fan
Coordinator

So David Stern has put the kabosh on Celtics- Hornets sign and trade and now David West is probably going to sign with Indiana for 2 years $20 million.

Okay I don't know if David Stern did stop the trade but is it really that far fetched? $10 million a year for David West coming off ACL surgery?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #703
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Paul to the Clippers for Gordon/Minny pick and fillers? Certainly a bold move for the Clips. I guess that Paul will be picking up an option, so they get him for 2 years. Or at least 1 year and we're back in drama trade land in 12 months.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #704
Logan
Head Coach

If that's the deal it's a great haul for NO.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #705
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Paul to the Clippers for Gordon/Minny pick and fillers? Certainly a bold move for the Clips. I guess that Paul will be picking up an option, so they get him for 2 years. Or at least 1 year and we're back in drama trade land in 12 months.

I just saw on CNNSI the deal is really close, but no Gordon. It was the Minny pick, Bledsoe, Aminu and Kaman.

If that's the deal, I love it. If the Clippers traded Gordon (the reason I started following and cheering for the Clip) It would really hurt, as I've actually become a fan of the team. It would feel empty without him.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #706
bhlloy
Coordinator

That would be an incredible deal for the Clippers. After Griffin, Gordon and Jordan are the two most valuable pieces so to keep both of those guys would be unreal.

Not too bad for NO but not great. I'd be stunned if they settled for Kaman over Jordan. Kid has some serious potential to be a defensive stopper for the next 10 years even though he's never going to be a scorer.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #707
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Weird, it's the exact deal I proposed a couple pages back.

Even without Gordon, New Orleans would enter the 2012 season with two top-10 picks in a great draft. Eric Bledsoe who would have been a top 10 pick this year had he stayed in school. And Aminu who has tremendous upside. Not to mention a lot of cap room. That's a pretty good rebuilding effort.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #708
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Supposedly, isn't it Gordon, Kaman, and Aminu along with the pick?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #709
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Supposedly, isn't it Gordon, Kaman, and Aminu along with the pick?

SI

The article mentioned Gordon, but said the Clippers don't want to include him.

Jordan was signed to a offer sheet by Golden State, so i'm assuming he can't be dealt to another team right now?

Remember though, it's just speculation, nothing done or official yet
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 12-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #710
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Is Kamen in the finally year or two of his contract hopefully? Otherwise that is just an ick contract to take on. A center that shoots under 50 percent that struggles on defense and is overpaid, no thanks.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #711
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Kaman is an expiring contract. Might even be able to flip that at the deadline.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #712
Grover
Pro Starter

from rotoworld.com...

"Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that the trade sending Chris Paul to the Clippers "could be dying."
The Clippers refuse to pay the asking price that the league is mandating in return for Paul, and rightfully so. Stern has been ridiculous in his execution of a Paul trade, and it's become a distraction around the entire league. At this point, we have no idea what type of deal would actually satisfy Stern, but it's clear he's not budging from his current position."

This is getting stupid(er).

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #713
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Time to give stern a golden watch and send him off into the sunset (then duct tape some small-market teams owners mouth shut from trying to make the new Commissioner their puppet like the way they've done with Stern
Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #714
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Stern is treating the trade discussions like the labor negotiations.

"If you don't take the offer of CP3 for the package of the Minnesota pick, Bledsoe, Aminu and Kaman by midnight, then the offer will only go up to those players plus Blake Griffin and 2 #1 picks."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #715
mckerney
Coordinator

After spending 6 draft picks on them the Wolves finally have their starting Point Guard!

Wolves, J.J. Barea reach contract agreement | StarTribune.com
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #716
miami_fan
Coordinator

Can David Stern do the decent thing and relieve Dell Demps of his duties? He can make Dan Gilbert the GM of the Hornets.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #717
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
After spending 6 draft picks on them the Wolves finally have their starting Point Guard!

Wolves, J.J. Barea reach contract agreement | StarTribune.com

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHNNNN!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #718
mckerney
Coordinator

In addition to all the picks spent on them, this is the third straight offseason Kahn has signed a PG for to a 4 year contract of at least $4 million a year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #719
bhlloy
Coordinator

Has anyone tried offering the Hornets new trident layers gum for Chris Paul? If veterans can't get the deal done, and picks and prospects can't get the deal done, there must be something else Stern is holding out for
Old 12-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #720
heybrad
Norm!!!

Stern is trying to make an example of Chris Paul. If Paul has to stay in New Orleans for one more year and leave as a free agent, he'll have to leave millions of dollars on the table. There's plenty of reports out there with Stern's attitude being about not letting Paul dictate where he goes.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #721
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Stern is trying to make an example of Chris Paul. If Paul has to stay in New Orleans for one more year and leave as a free agent, he'll have to leave millions of dollars on the table. There's plenty of reports out there with Stern's attitude being about not letting Paul dictate where he goes.

I hope the union sues the hell out of the NBA and wins.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #722
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Sue the NBA for what? They own the Hornets, can trade who they want for what they want.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #723
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Sue the NBA for what? They own the Hornets, can trade who they want for what they want.

I'm not a labor lawyer. So I will defer to you that there is no valid cause of action here.

I was operating on the assumption that there would be some anti-trust/restraint-of-trade/collusion-based claims concerning the NBA owners all agreeing to keep a player from working where he wants to work and forcing him to take less money to do it. I would also wonder if the CBA requires owners to negotiate trades and the like in good faith.

Again, though, I don't know for sure, so I will defer.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #724
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Players Union signed off on the league owning the Hornets. They also agreed to the recent CBA without objections to it. Owners have a right to not trade their players who are under contract. Chris Paul signed that contract and has no one to blame but himself for doing it if he doesn't want to stay.

I still say this gets done. Stern is a lot of things, but a shitty negotiator is not one of them. Portray the initial demands as unreasonable and then come back later offering to give up some of his demands. Sort of like the CBA negotiations where he started at something like 44% and eventually "conceded" to 50%.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #725
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'm not a labor lawyer. So I will defer to you that there is no valid cause of action here.

I was operating on the assumption that there would be some anti-trust/restraint-of-trade/collusion-based claims concerning the NBA owners all agreeing to keep a player from working where he wants to work and forcing him to take less money to do it. I would also wonder if the CBA requires owners to negotiate trades and the like in good faith.

He has a contract with the Hornets. They don't have to trade him if they don't want to. He can play for whoever he wants when the contract that he signed is up.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #726
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I didn't like the original LAL/HOU deal because it felt like it didn't make sense long-term for NO. But I don't quite get what is wrong with what the Clippers were offering. Young players and picks for a guy that is leaving seems pretty appropriate to me. What the heck?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #727
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Can David Stern do the decent thing and relieve Dell Demps of his duties? He can make Dan Gilbert the GM of the Hornets.

I just feel embarrassed for Demps now.

SI

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #728
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Great post over on The Dream Shake: "But if I’m Demps, I amnesty CP3 and burn down my office as I walk out. "

SI

Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #729
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Great post over on The Dream Shake: "But if I’m Demps, I amnesty CP3 and burn down my office as I walk out. "

SI

Stern would nix both the amnesty, and the fire.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #730
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

There could be a potential labor issue here, as Paul could sue the union for breach of the duty of fair representation. I think the biggest issue with that claim could be practicality. The only forums which seem available to Paul would be in arbitration or the NLRB, the former unlikely to find a CBA violation and the latter extremely slow in resolving disputes.

That being said, Paul's potential remedy could lie in a state law...if there is one which could provide a cause of action. That's partly how the NFL lost the StarCaps drug testing battle in Minnesota with the Williams wall.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 12-12-2011 at 10:12 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #731
molson
General Manager

What a catastrophe of a franchise. Wouldn't it be better to fold them up and gear up for an expansion franchise? I mean how long is this going to on for?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #732
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, weren't they basically months away from ditching NO before Katrina hit, and public opinion meant they couldn't possibly ditch New Orleans?

conspiracy hat on

Does make you wonder if Stern and the owners wouldn't mind a lame duck season with an unmotivated Paul and nothing else, just to force attendance so low that they can say "we tried, we're losing so much money we have to move the team now" Looking at their training camp roster, it's embarassing. They'll be lucky to win 15 games with that team even if Chris Paul doesn't mail in the season. Maybe that's the reason Stern won't make these trades for decent players or exciting future assets?

conspiracy hat off

Last edited by bhlloy : 12-13-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #733
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Stern would nix both the amnesty, and the fire.

I know you're being snarky, but...can he nix the amnesty? I mean...did the new CBA put restrictions on who/how?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #734
Groundhog
Coordinator

Right or wrong re: the NBA's heavy handed ownership - and I still say it's right - I think the Clippers were foolish not to include Gordon. Far easier to find another Gordon than it is to acquire a top 3 pg who would compliment their superstar PF perfectly. All you need at SG is a shooter who can play D to go along with them. It's greedy to think you should be able to turn unwanted contracts and a future pick into a superstar.

It's like people think NO should just turn everyone into contenders because he's going to leave anyway.

I say screw it, suck for a year, let CP3 leave, and then have a high pick, a ton of cap space, and most likely a new city to play in - attractive perks for buyers.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.929166,151.045435
Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #735
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Right or wrong re: the NBA's heavy handed ownership - and I still say it's right - I think the Clippers were foolish not to include Gordon. Far easier to find another Gordon than it is to acquire a top 3 pg who would compliment their superstar PF perfectly. All you need at SG is a shooter who can play D to go along with them. It's greedy to think you should be able to turn unwanted contracts and a future pick into a superstar.

It still all comes back to "What is 4 months of Chris Paul worth?" because that's all you're guaranteed.

SI

Old 12-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #736
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They were going to get Paul to pick up his option for 2012-13 as a condition of the trade.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #737
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's like people think NO should just turn everyone into contenders because he's going to leave anyway.

I say screw it, suck for a year, let CP3 leave, and then have a high pick, a ton of cap space, and most likely a new city to play in - attractive perks for buyers.

I agree with this. If you're going to lose him anyways and you can't acquire pieces to turn you into a contender then the only thing to do is to blow it all up, try to get as high a draft pick as you can, and have as much cap space as you can. Don't take some lame "middling team" route.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #738
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

---
I am here: Google Maps

But New Orleans is NOT going to have a high pick if they keep CP3 for the year.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #739
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder what guys like Micky Arison, Jerry Buss, Jerry Reinsdorf feel about this deal. You know the other guys that own the Hornets?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #740
bhlloy
Coordinator

Oh they will be horrible even with Chris Paul. I think they only have 4-5 guys with NBA experience and a one is Poindexter and the other only has a couple games. Paul is no Tim Tebow and he can't work miracles.

As for not taking the Clippers offer, why not have some more young guys and another high lottery pick when you do blow it up and start the whole process a bit earlier? Is Bledsoe, Aminu and a likely top 5 pick plus your own < just your own pick for some reason I'm not seeing?

I also think the clips were smart not to give up Gordon. Really like his game and I don't think CP3 and Griffin make us an instant contender. But I probably value Gordon a lot higher than most other people do
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #741
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think letting him walk for nothing is a chump's bet.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #742
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

For comedy value, look back over the last few pages, and imagine that people mean Ben Gordon whenever they say "Gordon" in their posts.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #743
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

For more comedy value, look back over the last few pages, and imagine that people mean Gordon Ramsey whenever they say "Gordon" in their posts
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #744
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

For even more comedy value, look back over the last few pages, and imagine that people mean Jeff Gordon whenever they say "Gordon" in their posts
Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #745
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I also think the clips were smart not to give up Gordon. Really like his game and I don't think CP3 and Griffin make us an instant contender. But I probably value Gordon a lot higher than most other people do

You're not alone in this. I think he is very underrated.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #746
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I have a Gordon/Steph Curry team in NBA 2k11 that absolutely beats the shit out of everyone while playing Nellie-ball, so I'm a huge Gordon fan. In fact, sometimes I play "let's see how many points I can get Gordon to score in a game" - I think I've hit like 70 in a game before.

Dude is a stud.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-13-2011 at 12:24 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #747
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #748
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

=comedy value
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #749
korme
Go Reds

In the majority here, agreeing the Clips shouldn't give up Gordon, even if that means they won't land Paul. Kid is the real deal
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #750
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kwame Brown will make 7M this year. Sigh.