Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #701
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No, it's 28. THey were all 28 when they auditioned and have since turned 29.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #702
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
No, it's 28. THey were all 28 when they auditioned and have since turned 29.

Ah, gotcha. I think regardless of specific age, the dramatic groupings of age are bigger to me.. Most of the contestants are mid to late 20's, where last year it seemed like around half were not even 18 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #703
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
DialIdol is an evolving program. Some guy with a decent knowledge of statistics attempting to measure busy signals over a range of time spanning two open voting periods. Busy signals in the first few minutes are different from busy signals at the end. He has to factor in when each call was placed, as well as the fact that the demographics of people using his software are very different from the demographics of the viewers themselves.

There are two other problems - one, there's no easy way to tell a successful vote from an "all circuits are busy" error message. It only measures busy signals and counts everything else. And two, there's some indication that Idol is trying to make this measurement more difficult, possibly figuring out a way to route some busy signals into a different type of error message.

We'll know more later, when the call volume increases.

I'm going to start following. It I find it interesting from a statistical perspective. I think it's a cool intellectual exercise - even to the point of how Idol tries to counteract it.

Hell, I'd consider downloading it and trying to use it to vote - when I have never voted before.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #704
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Ah, gotcha. I think regardless of specific age, the dramatic groupings of age are bigger to me.. Most of the contestants are mid to late 20's, where last year it seemed like around half were not even 18 yet.

I think it's in the best interests of most contestants that they be older. I think they should raise the minimum age to 18 or 19 from 16. Let them get some exposure on the show, but don't put them through to the point that they are disqualified from future shows (like they handled that pretty Texas girl who was under 18). Builds some continuity in the AI storyline from season to season, and gives them some time to mature and become better singers/performers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #705
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think it's in the best interests of most contestants that they be older. I think they should raise the minimum age to 18 or 19 from 16. Let them get some exposure on the show, but don't put them through to the point that they are disqualified from future shows (like they handled that pretty Texas girl who was under 18). Builds some continuity in the AI storyline from season to season, and gives them some time to mature and become better singers/performers.

Totally agreed. Like I said, I think this would have benefitted Sanjaya big time.

If you know they won't make top 12, lean towards the 25 year old so that he can get it out of his system and move on, rather than the 17 year old that can grow and come back in a year or two.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #706
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I loved yesterday's show. I really think that it is Antonella's time to go.

She is not that pretty, but will stay if vote for the worst backs her up again.

Antonella and haley will go tonight
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #707
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
I loved yesterday's show. I really think that it is Antonella's time to go.

She is not that pretty, but will stay if vote for the worst backs her up again.

Antonella and haley will go tonight

I will probably catch flack for this here, but we shall see.

She is far better looking than Pickler and she made it to the top 6 or so. Pickler could sing better, but was still far worse than people that went before her.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #708
Ksyrup

Pickler had several things going for her: (1) decent looking; (2) charming personality/shtick; and (3) decent singer. Barba, arguably, has one of those (although I personally hate the NY look/attitude). her vocals are even worse because she's being compared to better singers than Pickler was last year. And there's nothing charming about her. She comes off as a bitch, a lot of people think she's also a slut, and she's demonstrated that glorious NYattitude when given bad reviews.

All that said, I'll be shocked if she goes home tonight.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #709
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pickler had several things going for her: (1) decent looking; (2) charming personality/shtick; and (3) decent singer. Barba, arguably, has one of those (although I personally hate the NY look/attitude). her vocals are even worse because she's being compared to better singers than Pickler was last year. And there's nothing charming about her. She comes off as a bitch, a lot of people think she's also a slut, and she's demonstrated that glorious NYattitude when given bad reviews.

All that said, I'll be shocked if she goes home tonight.

I'm only addressing the attractiveness issue. I agree with the rest. And I think Antonella comes off as less of an idiot than Pickler but instead comes off as a bitch.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #710
Ksyrup

But the idiot thing was a plus for Pickler, given where she was from. Calamari practically put her in the finals.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #711
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
But the idiot thing was a plus for Pickler, given where she was from. Calamari practically put her in the finals.

It was charming in a way. This Barbarella ho impresses me as nothing but an asshole.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-08-2007 at 10:57 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #712
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I do not expect Antonella to be kicked off the show any soon than week 7. That seems to be about the time that the people voting seriously will overcome the VFTW crowd.

And she will become more and more of a raging bitch over that time period because I don't think she realizes she is just continuing on because she is a joke not becase people think she is talented.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #713
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
That would make an really interesting reality episode or two - wathcing them discuss how people were chosen at each stage. I'm sure there were obviously more people involved than just the 3 of them in making the choices, and they'd never allow the "guts" of the show to be exposed, but it would be interesting to hear who pushed for which people and why they chose to leave certain demographics off, like country/rock this year. And if Sanjaya or Rudy/AJ were there as diversity choices only (seems fairly obvious to me, at least re Rudy and Sanjaya).

Where's John Feinstein when you need him? I think he's about run out of sports prefaces and hasn't released a book since I started typing....

I would call it A Season on the Brink II just to drive Bob Knight crazy.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #714
JSB
n00b

JSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #715
Logan
Head Coach

I hope Gina goes home tonight. She thinks she's much better than she actually is.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #716
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Gina is awesome. She already made top 12.... who was the first person they kicked off? I didn't watch
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #717
Easy Mac

and suddenly, millions of internet accounts were cancelled.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #718
Easy Mac

Now I'll never hear the Set it Off soundtrack quite the same way again.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #719
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I love that in Antionella's good bye song she screwed up about 4 times. She was awful.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #720
Swaggs
Coordinator

Watching the basketball game....who got sent home?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #721
JSB
n00b

Kicked off

Antonella
Sabrina
Jared
Sundance
JSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #722
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post
Antonella
Sabrina
Jared
Sundance

I thought it was gonna take a Presidential Edict to get Antonella off so I am happy. Sabrina wouldn't have been my second choice, but she's not too far from it. Jared I thought was talented but rarely delivered. Sundance suprises me some, but I had lost a lot of faith in him post audition.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #723
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
I thought it was gonna take a Presidential Edict to get Antonella off so I am happy.

You and me both. Although..... I believe there is a little blurb at the end of the show that says that the show reserves the right to disregard the vote. I wouldn't be surprised if she was just axed regardless.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 03-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #724
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
You and me both. Although..... I believe there is a little blurb at the end of the show that says that the show reserves the right to disregard the vote. I wouldn't be surprised if she was just axed regardless.

I'm surprised most fans conveniently ignore that, which I believe has been on there since the early days. Every year, I and others mention that but fans get too enamored with VFTW and busy signals to realize that the show does come down to ratings and producers' discretion in considering the fan voting.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #725
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:

I would think that's for the case if somebody is proven to be cheating vote wise. I think they actually would rather Antonella advance, she's probably good for ratings.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #726
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I'm surprised most fans conveniently ignore that, which I believe has been on there since the early days. Every year, I and others mention that but fans get too enamored with VFTW and busy signals to realize that the show does come down to ratings and producers' discretion in considering the fan voting.

Or most just don't subscribe to your theory that just because they can, they do, with no evidence at all.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #727
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Or most just don't subscribe to your theory that just because they can, they do, with no evidence at all.

So you want to believe that it is all pure democracy? Wow.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #728
MJ4H
Coordinator

You'll have to do better than pure incredulity.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #729
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Average score of 12 finalists through the semi-final rounds:

Melinda Doolittle: 95
LaKisha Jones: 85
Jordin Sparks: 84
Chris Richardson: 83
Blake Lewis: 81
Stephanie Edwards: 78
Gina Glocksen: 77
Chris Sligh: 67
Haley Scarnato: 60
Brandon Rogers: 58
Phil Stacey: 54
Sanjaya Malakar: 49

Coming up: Diana Ross week... I don't think the guys are going to enjoy this.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #730
Flasch186
Coordinator

I wonder if doolittle isnt the best voice ive ever heard on this show. I know Undewoood's Heart song was good, but all the rest I dont remember being as good as Doolittle. Certainly not as consistent this early, no?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #731
Fouts
College Starter

I was sad but not surprised to see Sundance lose out to Sanjaya. As I told me kids, Sanjaya can just show up and not sing and still get more votes than Sundance. It still sucks. I don't like Sanjaya's personality, and I can hardly hear the guy over the music.

Haley getting in sucked, too. We'll see if those two (Sanjaya and Haley) keep stealing votes from people who actually belong there.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #732
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well at least we got one of the two worst out of there. Just wish it had been Sanjaya instead of Antonella. Haley advancing over Sabrina was the real shocker, as it seemed nobody particularly liked her. (I do, but she's up against a lot of talent). Thought Sundance would make it too. I just don't understand this fascination over Sanjaya. I think perhaps he is the worst finalist in Idol history, though he has some heavy competition there.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #733
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Coming up: Diana Ross week... I don't think the guys are going to enjoy this.
And on the flip side - good news for the Divas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well at least we got one of the two worst out of there. Just wish it had been Sanjaya instead of Antonella. Haley advancing over Sabrina was the real shocker, as it seemed nobody particularly liked her. (I do, but she's up against a lot of talent). Thought Sundance would make it too. I just don't understand this fascination over Sanjaya. I think perhaps he is the worst finalist in Idol history, though he has some heavy competition there.

I think Sabrina suffered from being the 4th best Diva which just really put her in a void for votes.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #734
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think perhaps he is the worst finalist in Idol history, though he has some heavy competition there.

I think John Stephens easily still holds that title.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #735
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know, I think it's great what the show is doing for impoverished people in America and in Africa, but I admit that I was disappointed that the big announcement had nothing to do with the competition.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #736
Ksyrup

Wade OTM about why Sabrina went home. She was 4th among the 4 divas and they split the R&B vote, which obviously isn't big enough to sustain them all. That's what happened when LaToya and Jennifer Hudson went home the same week the year Fantasia won it all.

I'm shocked Antonella went home, but in the end, it boiled down to people having a reason to hate her in addition to her sucking which lead her to be voted off, while Sanjaya just plain sucks but seems like a nice kid to most people. I bet he's around for quite a while. He certainly deserved to go before Sunfire, but that dude was really overrated, so I'm not crying for him.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #737
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
You know, I think it's great what the show is doing for impoverished people in America and in Africa, but I admit that I was disappointed that the big announcement had nothing to do with the competition.

If you go back and look at the Nigel quote I pasted last week, it seemed fairly obvious the announcement would have something to do with charity or the military. "We're the first show to talk about this" and "it involves American Idol and America"... stuff like that.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #738
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
If you go back and look at the Nigel quote I pasted last week, it seemed fairly obvious the announcement would have something to do with charity or the military. "We're the first show to talk about this" and "it involves American Idol and America"... stuff like that.
I admit that I missed the quote. Even if I had seen it, though, I would have expected some revolutionary way for voters to get involved with the competition. I'm not really sure exactly what that would be, but I still wouldn't expect what we got.

It's a good thing they're doing, though, so more power to 'em... except for Ryan Seacrest chasing African kids around. No good can come from that.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #739
Easy Mac

I thought it was extremely pretentious.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #740
Ksyrup

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Guy Smiley is already taken:

So I'm in NYC this weekend, and guess which of these stuffed shirts I saw in the lobby of my hotel yesterday? Pretty odd coincidence, seeing as though I just posted these pics.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #741
kurtism
High School Varsity

Seriously? "You gotta pronunciate"? Yeesh...
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #742
MJ4H
Coordinator

Hehe yeah that one got me too.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #743
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

The judges bitch about making a song your own and then 2 guys try to make a song their own and they bitch about just singing it.

Who the F thought a Diana Ross week was a good idea?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #744
MJ4H
Coordinator

that make it your own line makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit everytime i hear it.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #745
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
The judges bitch about making a song your own and then 2 guys try to make a song their own and they bitch about just singing it.

Who the F thought a Diana Ross week was a good idea?

The people who want to see a Diva win?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #746
adubroff
High School JV

Tough week...theme is blatantly in favor of the big voiced divas...I'd say Melinda was still the best this week, followed by a chalk trifecta of Lakeesha and Jordin. I was least impressed by Brandon this week, he really bores me. Svenjaya could go home on any given week but this wasn't his worst performance. Haley and Stephanie blew the lyrics but they at least sung well.

Hard week for most of the guys and Gina theme wise. I was hoping Gina would find a way to Ginafy a Ross song and she didn't. Chris had similar issues. Blake and Phil I think were the best guys but they weren't near the level of Melinda, Lakeesha and Jordin.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #747
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm with you Mustang. Drives me crazy when they say you have to be original, then totally slam them for being it. Earlier they slammed Brandon for not being original. You can't have it both ways. It's fine if you say you don't like their take on Diana Ross songs but give them credit at least for trying to modernize them.

This was bound to be a tough night for the guys anyway with them singing songs from a female vocalist, so I'm glad some of them changed the arrangements.

Hard for me to judge these performances because I'm not a Diana Ross fan and don't know and/or like many of her songs. It was nice though to see Haley come alive tonight...well until she forgot the words. I did like Chris Sligh's take on Endless Love but that arrangement didn't match the vocals. I think I will go with him as my favorite guy performance and Jordin as favorite girl performance.

Sanjaya will remain as my worst performance until he gets voted off. Although that was the best he's done I think, put a little passion into it instead of just standing there and singing softly.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #748
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

I took a picture of it last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #749
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
The people who want to see a Diva win?

Could also be that there are only so many artists who have twelve songs recognizable by a large cross-section of the audience.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #750
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Do you know, where you're going to? Do you like the things that life is showing you? Where are you going to? Do you know?

Do you sing? Inspired like a star? Or do you trip on lyrics from afar? Or are you precious like a Malakar? Do you know?

It was Diana Ross week, and no one went with the Theme from Mahogany. Un believable. Like having a Knack week without anyone singing My Sharona. There was some Endless Love, which thankfullly ended after 90 seconds. Someone had a very brief Love Hangover. Someone tried to Hurry Love. But no one sang the song that separated Diana Ross from all the other talented singers of the '60s, '70s and '80s. Not even the hard to parallel Doolittle.

Next week is probably Knack week for all I know, because this week was awkward, especially for the overwhelmed male contingent.

On to the rankings for week 4, the first of the finals:

1. Melinda Doolittle. She wasn't perfect this week, which comes as a bit of a shock. I think she realized she could pick just about anything and do a pretty good job. That was enough to lead the pack on a fair night. Score of 89.

2. Jordin Sparks. Vocally, I thought she tried a lot and she was very nervous. She made some mistakes, especially near the beginning. But she also brought out qualities in her voice that reminded me of what Idol is really about - discovering new talent. Perhaps she should have waited a year or two, maybe she would be a Doolittle in a crowd of amateurs. She's more than good enough now, and if she grows up quickly, she could be a contender. Score of 87.

3. LaKisha Jones. Another solid performance from the steadiest contender this side of Doolittle. Score of 85.

4. Phil Stacey. And now we drop into the realm of the mediocre. This was by far his best performance of the season, I did see for the first time that he really can sing. He did indulge himself with a couple of off-key screaming notes, far less than his usual dozen. He was okay. He bought himself another week or two. Score of 74.

5. Gina Glocksen. I want to like her more. She has the same problem Phil has - the louder she gets the more I forget she can sing. She has to fight, more than anyone, the line between singer and performer. Performers do not do well in this format. Score of 73.

6. Chris Sligh. Yeah, the arrangement just murdered a great song. That aside, he wasn't too bad. He does have a nice, melodic voice. Score of 70.

7. Blake Lewis. It's a lot to expect a white beat-boxer who seems to prefer electronica to do a passable Diana Ross. He did a passable something, but it paled in comparison to the original. A whiter shade of pale. I look forward to his take on themes that aren't as powerful. Score of 66.

8. Haley Scarnato. She cried. She's even pretty when she cries. Score of 65.

9. Stephanie Edwards. All the talent in the world and she has no idea how to present it. If she were singing The Star Spangled Banner, it would go on for ten minutes and finish with a trill that would have Frances Scott Key ducking and covering. She needs to stop oversinging every single bar. I thought she had more pitch problems than usual. I'm not liking her as much as I did earlier in the competition. Score of 58.

10. Chris Richardson. With his stiff dancing and his pained expressions, I wonder if someone might have jammed a long stick up his rear end prior to his performance. This was a very tough theme for his style, and he was dreadful tonight. He deserves a mulligan. Score of 47.

11. Brandon Rogers. There really is only Brandon, and he does sound the same every week. The question with him is only about song choice and theme, and he failed to make the necessary adjustments for this type of song. His time is limited. Score of 45.

12. Sanjaya Malakar. It's really pointless to criticize him now. He chose a bland song and made it blander. He blandunciated. He needs to go home to his sister. Score of 38.

Who will be bottom three: Sanjaya, Stephanie and Brandon.

Who will go: Brandon.

Who should go: Sanjaya.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote