Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #701
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
That's the first I've heard of RB leaving Texas to coach somewhere else. He's got it made in Austin.

I've seen Wake and NC State fans mention him this season, and UVA fans talking about him last year. I can't see Barnes leaving, though. Even if it comes down to money, I cannot see another school outbidding Texas at this point.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #702
Radii
Head Coach

Going into the second round, I'm real interested to see how the two surviving MVC teams do, Wichita State vs Tennessee and Bradley vs Pittsburgh, both vulnerable teams IMO. Indiana/Gonzaga is another one I'm real interested. in. I've held the belief this entire season that Gonzaga and Memphis have zero chance of reaching the final four because they haven't played a top team in two months. At least Memphis played a tourney team in UAB. My gut feeling tells me that the other top teams, regardless of talent, will simply be playing at another level becaue of that, so i'm interested to see how those two teams do.

Oh, and go George Washington tomorrow!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #703
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
UCLA and Florida were the only two high seeds that seriously took care of business, aren't they? W Virginia played well too from what I heard, I didn't see any of that one at all.

UNC and Boston College both got nice gifts after tough first round games, getting to face Montana and George Mason instead of Nevada and Michigan State.

Arizona did a pretty good job on Wisconsin too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:25 AM   #704
st.cronin
General Manager

I am more and more liking UCLA to win it all.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #705
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just got back from a two day hoops/poker vacation (man, do I love this time of the year) and I'm not going to catch up on all 700 posts in this thread

I really enjoyed seeing the MVC start off 2-2. To paraphrase a SNL skit, "Suck it, Packer!". Top seed won in all three matchups with the Big East - two blowouts (one each) and one that was close. Then Bradley bouncing Kansas was about as perfect as it gets.

I wouldn't put too much stock in which teams took care of business in the first round versus just getting by. Plenty of champions and FF teams have had early scares. Champion UCLA with the Tyus Edney coast-to-coast bucket is one that comes to mind right away but there are examples from just about every year.

In terms of brackets vs rooting interests, I was pulling for Albany despite having UConn in the title game in each of my brackets. Since the Huskies aren't my team I was rooting for underdog + history (+ better draw for the Illini). The only times that isn't the case for me is with my higher value Calcutta pool teams, which do have some significant financial impact.

Has anyone else run a Calcutta pool for the NCAA tourney? Basically it is an auction "draft" for all the teams - the 15/16 are lumped in as a group, but every other team is up for bidding. Based on the total dollars collected, an even amount of money is distributed for each of the six rounds, which means that the amount of money for each win doubles every round. But you don't know what that per-round value is going to be early on in the bidding process. I find this to be the most fun pool that I do each and every year, even when the results are not optimal.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #706
Craptacular
College Starter

Anyone else notice that Dickie V was the ONLY one of ESPN's four experts NOT to pick Kansas for the Final 4?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #707
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I'm so glad I picked Bradley and about 80% of the people in my pool had Kansas in the final four or winning the championship.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #708
JeeberD
General Manager

24-8 after the first round with two Sweet Sixteen teams out (Nevada and kansas) and one Elite Eight team out (Kansas)...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #709
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
I'm so glad I picked Bradley and about 80% of the people in my pool had Kansas in the final four or winning the championship.

Are you in a pool in an insane asylum or something???
Old 03-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #710
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
24-8 after the first round with two Sweet Sixteen teams out (Nevada and kansas) and one Elite Eight team out (Kansas)...

I've done shitty in general, but still have 7 of 8 Elite Eight teams left. Thats where you really start to get the points, so I'm not too worried.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #711
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Why do they only have one game on at this time slot, and yet 3 games later? Why not make it two and two and switch back and forward?
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #712
JeeberD
General Manager

Because EVERYONE wants to watch Duke play. Duh!

Old 03-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #713
hoopsguy
General Manager

Got through the first round with my entire Sweet 16 intact - have a feeling I'm being set up for a big fall this weekend ...
Old 03-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #714
JeeberD
General Manager

Come on GW!

Old 03-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #715
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

GW can't hit any sort of shot. They are looking worse than an 8 seed instead of better.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #716
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hmm Play QB for Notre Dame or basketball for Duke
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #717
miami_fan
Coordinator

Did that guy really say that Knoxville is a BASKETBALL town?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #718
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

DUKE BLOWS!!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #719
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

duke has definitly not been showing why the are the number one overall seed.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #720
Easy Mac

well, with the obvious dominating performances from uconn, villanova and memphis, Duke should really be a 10 seed
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #721
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
duke has definitly not been showing why the are the number one overall seed.

And UConn has? Memphis? I think beating a team like GW by 10+ is a good showing.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #722
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I think in the first round games Memphis played better than UConn, Nova and Duke, yes. But all I was saying is that Duke is not playing to their potential today. If GW could hit some of their 2 foot shots, the game would be a hell of a lot closer.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #723
hoopsguy
General Manager

Duke has done exactly what a 1 seed should do up to this point - beat up on a 16 and 8/9 seed. Neither game has really been in doubt in the last ten minutes.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #724
Easy Mac

Quote:
I think in the first round games Memphis played better than UConn, Nova and Duke, yes. But all I was saying is that Duke is not playing to their potential today. If GW could hit some of their 2 foot shots, the game would be a hell of a lot closer.

and if Jesus was born 2000 years later he would be labeled a crazy person and we wouldn't have Christianity, what's your point?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #725
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
and if Jesus was born 2000 years later he would be labeled a crazy person and we wouldn't have Christianity, what's your point?

Why are you such a smart ass? Does it make you feel better about yourself? I am mearly stating my opinion, get off of your high horse.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #726
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

God, I want Memphis to lose so bad. I know I keep saying this, but the "Memphis Power Couple" is driving me insane.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #727
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
God, I want Memphis to lose so bad. I know I keep saying this, but the "Memphis Power Couple" is driving me insane.

dito

knives out
Old 03-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #728
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

The only reason I care if Memphis wins and loses is because living with GE will be hell if they lose. Sorry if i come off too strong, won't happen again.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #729
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

And to be honest, I want Texas to win more than I want Memphis to... But nobody is dogging Texas, while everybody seems to be ragging on Memphis
Old 03-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #730
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

People love to hate on Memphis because the media is doing it. RFUS is nothing but a Gonzaga homer. He knows his team is way over-rated and is going out soon. Gonzaga has struggled all year long against weak competition. This is the big dance. Indiana wins tonight.

Seth Davis on CBS is one of the media personalities who think Memphis has done nothing. We played the second-toughest OOC schedule. Everyone wants to say were are to inexperienced, too young, and not battle-tested enough. I find that ridiculous. You can say all you want about the Memphis “power couple”, but if your team was getting dissed you would be doing the same thing. Memphis is the national target for failure this year. Most of the expert analysts had the losing to Oral Roberts. I can not wait when we beat UCLA to go to the final four.

Gonzaga is the team who has done nothing this year. But people are saying they are going to go to the final four because they have one player. It is just crazy. I guess people really do not like Calapari. I have no clue why, either.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #731
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Gonzaga is the team who has done nothing this year. But people are saying they are going to go to the final four because they have one player.

This may have something to do with the fact that he is a white player.. The media loves to grab on to stories like this...... case in point, the constant hype on the player of the year race between Morrison and Reddick. Since when was the POTY in College Hoops that important?

Quick, someone name the last three POTY's..
Old 03-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #732
Easy Mac

Quote:
Why are you such a smart ass? Does it make you feel better about yourself? I am mearly stating my opinion, get off of your high horse.
as was i... so i'm an ass for having opinions... good to know.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #733
Easy Mac

bogut, okafor, and ... that guy from kansas? of course, i couldn't name the last 3 nba poy's either.

edit: wayne simien?

Last edited by Easy Mac : 03-18-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #734
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

That was not an opinion, it was a smart ass comment
Old 03-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #735
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
People love to hate on Memphis because the media is doing it.

No you two are the reason people love to hate on Memphis. Couldn't care less about them other than that.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #736
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
People love to hate on Memphis because the media is doing it. RFUS is nothing but a Gonzaga homer. He knows his team is way over-rated and is going out soon. Gonzaga has struggled all year long against weak competition. This is the big dance. Indiana wins tonight.

Seth Davis on CBS is one of the media personalities who think Memphis has done nothing. We played the second-toughest OOC schedule. Everyone wants to say were are to inexperienced, too young, and not battle-tested enough. I find that ridiculous. You can say all you want about the Memphis “power couple”, but if your team was getting dissed you would be doing the same thing. Memphis is the national target for failure this year. Most of the expert analysts had the losing to Oral Roberts. I can not wait when we beat UCLA to go to the final four.

Gonzaga is the team who has done nothing this year. But people are saying they are going to go to the final four because they have one player. It is just crazy. I guess people really do not like Calapari. I have no clue why, either.

I'm not even a Gonzaga fan.

LOL@ "Most of the experts had Memphis losing to Oral Roberts". I don't think anyone had them losing to Oral Roberts. I think some thought ORU could keep the game competitive.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #737
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
I'm not even a Gonzaga fan.

LOL@ "Most of the experts had Memphis losing to Oral Roberts". I don't think anyone had them losing to Oral Roberts. I think some thought ORU could keep the game competitive.

It was all over ESPN that Memphis would be the first number 1 to go down to a 16 seed. About 4 or 5 different broadcasters made that prediction.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #738
Easy Mac

Quote:
That was not an opinion, it was a smart ass comment

that's your opinion
Old 03-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #739
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm surprised that a school like Memphis doesn't have an internet board for it's fans.

knives out
Old 03-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #740
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It was all over ESPN that Memphis would be the first number 1 to go down to a 16 seed. About 4 or 5 different broadcasters made that prediction.

Given the fact that they are the 4th ranked #1 seed, are you suprised that people would think that?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #741
miami_fan
Coordinator

First GW and now WI-MIL. Neither team can hit a layup.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #742
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
No you two are the reason people love to hate on Memphis. Couldn't care less about them other than that.

I am sure an Arkansas fan does not like Memphis because of two people on a message board.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #743
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Given the fact that they are the 4th ranked #1 seed, are you suprised that people would think that?

Uh, a 16 seed has never beaten a 1 seed.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #744
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I am sure an Arkansas fan does not like Memphis because of two people on a message board.

I don't dislike Memphis. I dislike the crap you and your friend have spewed for about 5 pages of this thread. And I'm obviously not alone.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #745
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I'm surprised that a school like Memphis doesn't have an internet board for it's fans.

You are just kind of out there, huh?

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 03-18-2006 at 03:58 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #746
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
I don't dislike Memphis. I dislike the crap you and your friend have spewed for about 5 pages of this thread. And I'm obviously not alone.

What crap have I spewed? I take up for my team and I am spewing crap? You need a reality check.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #747
MJ4H
Coordinator

That's just the problem. You don't even realize it. Welcome to my ignore list, for at least the rest of the tournament.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #748
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
You are just kind of out there, huh?

Completely unhinged, according to one board member (forgot who said that).

knives out
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #749
MJ4H
Coordinator

And as an aside, I don't know of any Arkansas fans that think of Memphis as more than any other team. I realize that Memphis fans seem to dislike Arkansas a lot, but Arkansas fans, in my experience, have no positive or negative feelings towards Memphis. Maybe in Eastern Arkansas they do, I don't know.

I certainly don't dislike Memphis. I almost want them to fail just so the obnoxious spew in this thread dies down.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #750
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I asked you for specific examples and you provided none. I guess you are just making shit up. If someone can not be a fan, then what is the point of having a March Madness thread? Oh well, I pissed someone off. It will not be the last time I do it.

Arkansas fans hate Memphis. Calapari refuses to schedule them. It was a pretty big rivalry back in the Richardson-Finch days.