Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2005, 09:39 AM   #701
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
Thanks, maybe I will check it out this weekend again with Columbus (NHL)

Founds some guides also...http://www.sortitoutsi.net/forums/in...howtopic=18847

you know there a manual that comes with the digital download.

you can try that that for 6 months gametime like the gold demo. but the digital download is exactly like the full version. everything is unlock. so it makes it better than the gold demo.

after 6 months of gametime, you should purchase it to continue pass the 6 months.

this game is excellent. great support and great price.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #702
Booj
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
so we download the Unfaking Version 1?

does this take care of CHL+UHL Real Team and League Names? or we need to download that one too.

thanks

It will take care of everything. No need to download the other one.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #703
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Thanks Coder, this sounds good at play.com

Boxed version:
our price: EUR 39.99 Delivered

availability: In stock.
Usually dispatched within 24 hours.

I'll try the old demo (not that try&buy that i cant download) that i think can be downloaded from SI to decide.

See, this is one of the factors with the pricing I guess. As you are in Europe, you have multiple retail options (regular or online) to find the cheapest one to suit you to get a boxed copy. Whereas the North Americans will have to import from Europe with extra cost or wait until they get a retail release sometime later. Or they can now buy the DD version online
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #704
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
See, this is one of the factors with the pricing I guess. As you are in Europe, you have multiple retail options (regular or online) to find the cheapest one to suit you to get a boxed copy. Whereas the North Americans will have to import from Europe with extra cost or wait until they get a retail release sometime later. Or they can now buy the DD version online

Not really a fair comparison to be honest.. mainland Europe is generally at least €10 more expensive than all US games (not just EHM), and €5 more expensive than Great Britain. EB is terrible for the Swedish market though.. the old chain of stores (Tradition) that is now EB used to be the best place to go for good prices, including mailorder alternatives, now it's the opposite since EB took over.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~

Last edited by Coder : 06-23-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 PM   #705
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay so i'm finding this version quite a bit harder than EHM:FE. And maybe that's partly because of the horribly overpriced offer-sheet that I signed Roman Hamerlik to that took up 4 years of 1st round picks (two of which would have been at #3 so far), and some other ummn...questionable roster decisions (promoting Hannu Toivannen too soon and dumping off Raycroft). But I still cant' seem to get myself out of the cellar. Which I guess is a good thing. I'm going to DL this unfaking data update and then start a new game with it.

FYI...in my game Washington won the NHL Draft Lottery last year so now they've got Ovechkin playing alongside Crosby and they're tearing stuff up.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #706
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

the download's corrupt to me.

84.5 MB with Internet Explorer - Corrupt
85 MB with GetRight - Corrupt.
86.5 MB with Firefox - Corrupt
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #707
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
the download's corrupt to me.

84.5 MB with Internet Explorer - Corrupt
85 MB with GetRight - Corrupt.
86.5 MB with Firefox - Corrupt
I believe the server is updating its version for some reason (we're looking into this currently) - can you try again shortly please (sorry for the inconvenience).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:48 PM   #708
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, started a new download, looks to be the correct size.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #709
Schmidty
Coordinator

Is this game downloadable or do I have to order it?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #710
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Is this game downloadable or do I have to order it?

It's downloadable.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:05 PM   #711
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Loving it so far, up to after 4 last night with it (ouch). Had a probltm this afternoon though. A game went to shootout and after selecting the players for shootout and hitting okay, I pressed resume and it did nothing. It just remained on the sreeen like it was the end of overtime. I hit pause game and resume a coupole more times but nothing. I tried going into the tactics screen and hitting ok, then resuming the game but still nothing. The only way out was to ctl-alt-del and select end program (which stayed in a running state for quite some time before going to not responding. After several end atempts, the game finally ended. Has this happened to anyone else?

I appologize in advance if this has been mentioned in here but I didn;t really want to read through 15 pages to see if it was, especially with lunch about to be ready.

Loving the game so far though, great job.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #712
condors
College Starter

I don't know if its tactics or what but have the 2nd best record in the league one year and the next season floundering in 14th place, using same tactic and players. I tried to let Hitchcock see if he can do anything with them and the board fired him(i shoulda have learned from the first time). I am guessing there was something to be exploited in my tactic but i don't know what it was or how to fix it

can't wait for the patch
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #713
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
I don't know if its tactics or what but have the 2nd best record in the league one year and the next season floundering in 14th place, using same tactic and players. I tried to let Hitchcock see if he can do anything with them and the board fired him(i shoulda have learned from the first time). I am guessing there was something to be exploited in my tactic but i don't know what it was or how to fix it

can't wait for the patch

*knock soundly on wood*

I am enjoying an unprecedented level of success as well. It's the 2009-2010 season, just past the trading deadline, and I have about 15 games to go and already have 106 points. I think we've only lost 10 games all year. We're #1 in goals against and goals for. Phil Kessel leads the league in goals and points with around 85.

I am using the neutral zone trap and with a few modifications here and there. What really happened is that I was building a team for the future, a future within a US $40 million payroll. May "cap" was inflated to around $80 million. I am still well below that, but the extra space has made me an active player in the UFA market. The core of my team is still based on the draft (Kessel, Ovechkin, Jack Johnson, Anze Kopitar, Eminger, etc.) and trades (Zetterberg, Horton, Weiss, Phaneuf, Klesla, Hartnell, Williams, and Henrik Lundqvist). But being able to bring in some top UFAs, namely McCabe, McLaren, O'Neil, and Saku Koivu has really took the team to the next level. Having Koivu as my #4 center and top penalty killer is just an insane luxury to have. Even at the ripe old age of 34.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #714
scooter
High School Varsity

Congrats to JeffR for getting picked up as a moderator over on the SI EHM forum. I guess now we can assume he speaks with some authority. I always just thought he was making stuff up
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #715
JeffR
High School JV

I was, I've just gotten Riz and Graeme to fall for it now.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #716
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Sweet! Can I littler the boards with CHL propaganda now?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:43 PM   #717
JeffR
High School JV

Hell no, that's my job.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #718
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Before I head out to open hockey, wanted to post some impressions:

At first I really wasn't enamored with EHM; instead, I still found myself engulfed in my FM dynasty (playing in the lowest Belgian league). I only fired up EHM when frustrated by an FM lock-up, basically.

Now, however, the tables are turned. I took over my beloved New York Islanders, determined to build through our own system. The head coach took care of all the coaching things -- I'm purely a GM. I don't mind a few losing seasons as long as we are stockpiling the most revered farm system in the NHL. I think, a little over a season in, I'm well on my way to that title.

The first year we started off well, but went into a big slide midway through the season and slipped out of the playoff picture. We were hardly even within a shout at the trade deadline, and at that point had already offloaded Michael Peca (for a 2nd rounder to the Bruins). I had made Yashin available all season, and a couple times the Blues came calling, but were only ever willing to give up mediocre prospects for Yashin and his $10mil contract. The only other trade I made sent young swift-skating defenseman Chris Campoli to the Blackhawks for a prospect, Bryan Bickell, who at the time my scouts were saying was a potential first or second liner. He had good size at 6-4, 200+, but I was concerned by his lack of production. (More on him later...)

In the offseason, Adrian Aucoin never had any interest in renegotiating his deal, and left for moderate money to the Canucks. We picked up a couple of second-tier free agents (Bob Boughner being the main one), and in the waiver draft added Steve Konowalchuck. The plan was that the rest of our roster holes (a lot of slots were left open by departing free agents) would basically be filled by junior prospects starting to mature.

The draft was something I enjoyed greatly. My draft scouting got started a little late, so I didn't necessarily get the totally comprehensive reports I might have liked, but I had been scouting all of the CHL leagues and even some of the Junior A leagues (BCHL, etc.). So I had a pretty good idea of what was available. Crosby, of course, went first to the Coyotes. I picked 6th, and wasn't quite sure what to do. I had a couple guys I liked, but one of my scouts had minor issues with. Picking at #6, I didn't want to take someone I had any doubts about. My Assistant GM and Head Coach (Steve Stirling) liked Tomas Pospisil, a diminutive forward from the Czech Republic. My head scout, who I trust, didn't have any problems with him, and his ratings were good, but I really didn't like his size (5-10, 140+ IIRC). Nevertheless, I felt he was a fairly "safe" choice, so went ahead and made the pick. There was another player I LOVED, but just couldn't justify at #6, in Matt Lashoff. Not only did my scouts all like Lashoff, but his ratings were quite good and he is from the Capital District. I decided to wait through about the 15th pick before deciding whether to make a move. At #16 he was still on the board, so I contacted the Leafs. My first offer was rejected (a 2nd and a 3rd this year, or somesuch), but when I put next year's 1st rounder and this year's 3rd on the table, they took my deal. Lashoff, I felt, would be a Top-10 pick in most year's, so even with my likely high draft position next year, I saw myself getting value here.

In the 2nd round I feel like I got an absolute steal with Ryan Parent, and even in the later rounds felt very good about the players I picked up. I snagged John Vigilante in the 5th round, which looks like maybe the best pick of the draft.

After the draft I had to fill my roster holes, so I signed Nokkelainen (19 years old), Dmitri Cherynych (19), Jeremy Colliton (20), and Blake Comeau (20). I took a look at Bickell, but at this point mine and my scouts opinion of him was really slipping. Robert Nilsson, a former 1st rounder, now looks like little more than an undersized 4th liner, so I passed on him, too.

I signed Vigilante (who was 20 when I drafted him), and sent him to Bridgeport. Cherynych also made his way down there, and Colliton as well. Those three have played on the top line in Bridgeport and been quite good -- especially Vigilante who is putting up around a PPG. He will get consideration for a later-season call-up.

Before the season started, I sent Alexei Yashin and his $10mil contract to the Caps for a 2nd rounder, feeling a I made out pretty well. My payroll was now down in the low-to-mid 30's and I was well under budget.

Our season started out well, with the younger guys playing well, but now we have badly slipped and are in about the same position as last season.

My prospects aren't looking as good as I had hoped, and I don't really have anybody who looks like a can't-miss at this point. Pospisil, fortunately, is tearing up the OHL, so I have high hopes for him in the not-too-distant future.

Overall, I have to say that I just love following all my prospects and their progress in their respective leagues. The draft is absolutely phenomenal in EHM -- you have a perfect amount of information to make your choices, but I've already seen there is (appropriately) a lot of volatility in your prospects' potential.

Great work, riz!
~rpi-fan
Old 06-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #719
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

So this is pretty funny. First, you need to know that this was caused by an unofficial "unfaking" game update (not SI's fault). There seems to be a problem with how the National Teams' ID number are lining up (or some other technical jarble), but anyways...

I would advise against using the unfaking update, BTW. There has been a number of problems, including one that goofed up a career I started with the Brandon Wheat Kings where I had a ghost coaching my team.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #720
Ryan S
Quarterback

Yay! Go Scotland!
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #721
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Man, Trinidad and Tobago just isn't the power that it used to be.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #722
JeffR
High School JV

No home ice advantage for them anymore, ever since the great Tobagan ice crisis of '87 forced them to break up their only rink into emergency cubes that were used to stave off a potentially disastrous cold drink shortage.

Last edited by JeffR : 06-30-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:40 AM   #723
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Arghggrrrr. I'm in December of my second season with the Devils, and my most recent first-round pick Michael Blunden just broke his ankle down in juniors and is out for four months. That's valuable experience and information that'll be missing when I'm trying to set a roster for next season. Of course he'll come to training camp and he'll get a look, but it'll be tough to decide whether to keep him with the NHL squad or not. He was doing so well in juniors, too.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #724
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I would advise against using the unfaking update, BTW. There has been a number of problems, including one that goofed up a career I started with the Brandon Wheat Kings where I had a ghost coaching my team.

Did you use the unofficial update Riz linked too?
Have others seen issues with it? I ask because I've seen no issues like this, but I don't want to, either.

Thanks.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #725
Karim
College Starter

The only problem I've had with the unfaking update was when I took over the Flames, I couldn't get rid of Darryl Sutter, who was also GM/Head Coach. I was able to fix this using the editor by making him a free agent at the start. Unfortunately, this fired all of my coaches, which wasn't a big deal to me as I usually like to start fresh.

The only other problem I've come across is the player_search.cpp error but that's on the official SI changelist so it isn't an unfaking problem.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #726
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
The only problem I've had with the unfaking update was when I took over the Flames, I couldn't get rid of Darryl Sutter, who was also GM/Head Coach. I was able to fix this using the editor by making him a free agent at the start. Unfortunately, this fired all of my coaches, which wasn't a big deal to me as I usually like to start fresh.

The only other problem I've come across is the player_search.cpp error but that's on the official SI changelist so it isn't an unfaking problem.

Welcome back
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #727
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

there will be another unfaking update version 2 coming out today according to SI forum.

looks like there going to fix the problems with team id# wrong and update the new teams in ECHL too and update the AHL's new Division Alignment for the upcoming season.

read the whole thread here.

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...5/m/4372062141
Old 07-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #728
atatange1
High School JV

Quick question about TV money. I am managing the Canucks and at the start of the second season I recieved only 2 million in TV money. Is that about right for a team that had the best record in the NHL but lost in the second round of the playoffs?
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #729
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatange1
Quick question about TV money. I am managing the Canucks and at the start of the second season I recieved only 2 million in TV money. Is that about right for a team that had the best record in the NHL but lost in the second round of the playoffs?

I haven't played the NHL, but I think the money you get at the beginning of the season is from a tv package deal for the upcoming season and is shared equally among the teams, thus your regular season standings and playoff performance would have no influence on it. I could be wrong.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #730
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatange1

This is right. I have played a good 6-7 seasons and have always received $2 million in TV money each year, regardless of record. I don't think it has any impact at all on your team budget. It helps with the bottom line, but that's about it. It's not like in FM where the TV money is key in filling your transfer coffers.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #731
atatange1
High School JV

Thanks guys.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #732
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Where do I insteall the unfake patch?

I found the DL but can't find directions. Any help is appreciated.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:27 PM   #733
jbmagic
Pro Starter

there a readme included for version 1

Unfaking_v1.0- By Kidhander, Javs, Twolf, Mne

Unzip all the files into the NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005\data folder

A special thanks to Mne, thanks!

ENJOY!!
Old 07-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #734
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Thanks, JB
Old 07-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #735
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Welcome back

Thanks... It actually provided ample time to rip out my basement...
Old 07-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #736
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks... It actually provided ample time to rip out my basement...

Ouch. You got hit hard by the flood?
Old 07-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #737
Karim
College Starter

In my second season, the Flames board increased the budget to $46 million. Considering I finished 4th overall last season with a $37.5 million roster and managed to sign almost everyone back, I didn't get involved in the free agent spending. The Flames are now 'Rich' with over a $30 million balance.

Meanwhile, the Oilers have a $40 million budget; I was able to check thanks to the finance bug. In the off-season they go and sign:

- Mike Modano
- Sergei Zubov
- Sergei Gonchar
- Nikolai Khabibulin
- Tomas Kaberle

The Oil is in fourth but their payroll is at $62 million. I'm in 13th but have lots of money.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #738
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Ouch. You got hit hard by the flood?

An inch of water throughout the finished basement has meant pretty much everything has to come out. The cleaning company advises 'rip everything out' to prevent mold but we're trying to minimize what has to be thrown away since it was only ground water, not river or sewage backup. We're trying to balance health and $. Of course, insurance doesn't cover this so we're waiting on the Alberta Government's Disaster Recovery Program.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #739
rexallllsc
Banned

Anyone who finishes with a winning record:

-Tell me which team you use
-Please detail your tactics for me

I want to get into this game badly, but can't so far.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #740
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I can't say if it works for EHM 2005 yet but in my experience (and this is in EHM and in real life) I prefer doing a no nonsense type of game plan. Think the Minnesota Wild.

Invest in a group of sturdy D, with forwards who do the little things. Play an aggressive backcheck, trap the neutral zone and simplify the game.

Try and get guys who can score, though they don't need to be superstars and work from there.

I like having guys with high character attributes. They go a long way.

Anyways, I'll get more in depth as I play more and more.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #741
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Anyone who finishes with a winning record:

-Tell me which team you use
-Please detail your tactics for me

I want to get into this game badly, but can't so far.

I have been pretty successful. Won back-to-back Cups in 2009 and 2010. In 2010, I had 133 points and led the league in goals for and goals against. 2011 is proving to be successful as well, but not like that 2010 run.

I think I've summarized my tactics somewhere in the thread above, but I will recap, nay, I will go find it and cut and paste into this thread. Nothing much has changed, save some of the players.

In-Game Tactis:

Off System:
I tend to go with mixed here more often than not. But, like everything else, it depends on the players you have. If they have all around talent (good skaters, good passing, etc.), I think mixed seems to work the best.

If they are all great skaters, but may lack a little in the way of passing skills, skating might work.

If they are grinders/forecheckers, I would go with dump & chase.

Off Zone:
I tend to use either "positional" or "crash the net." I use Crash the net if I have a big, strong centerman who can get there. At the moment I have Nathan Horton and Jeff O'Neil. Both big lads who have flourished under this system.

If I have a less physical center, I tend to go with positional. My other center, Stephen Weiss (no I am not the Panthers, I just like to trade with them), isn't as big and strong, so I used this system with him.

Forecheck:
Like The Hip said, the neutral zone trap, while dull, appears to be the way to go. I recently switched to the neutral zone trap and it has worked wonders. Been very pleased with the results. We have drastically reduced the shots on goal and goals against. I used to go with the "high forecheck" but was letting in way too many goals. Way, way too many...

Backchecking/Pressing:
I tend to keep both at "normal." I have had limited success by moving these to "hard."

Mentality:
Again, I tend to keep this at "normal." Like above, I have had limited success in moving this to attacking or defensive.

Pass/Shoot Bias
I think The Hip's advice is sound. Have your best shooters set on "shoot" and the rest on pass. I like to have at least one forward on shoot (though never more than two) and at least one d-man per pairing, or at least one d-man per pairing on the powerplay.

Board Battles:
I tend to leave this as "unit" which is mixed. Though if I have any hulking bruts with high strength (e.g., Hal Gill, Nathan Horton, etc.) then I make it "power." Likewise if I have a wee, speedy lad, I use "finese."

Hitting:
I always have hitting set on "hard." I tend to get a lot of penalties, but I like to hit. It's in my idiom.

PP/PK Units:
I really haven't messed with this in EHM 2005.

Line Combos:
I tend to try to have my top two lines be strong all around. The focus tends to be offense, but I like to have all six forwards have some decent defensive ratings as well. For example, at the moment my top two lines are as follows:

Ovechkin - Jeff O'Neil - Phil Kessel
Hartnell - Weiss - Justin Williams

While they are all good offensive players, most are pretty sound defensively.

I usually like to have my third line be a "crash" line/"grind" line/"checking" line or whatever you want to call it. These tend to be players who can hit, play solid defense, and chip in the occasional goal. I usually have these guys on "dump and chase" and "crash the net." Sometimes, if my roster gets too talent heavy (a nice problem to have), the third line becomes more interchangable with the top two and loses its "grind line" identity. As is the case with my current squad. The third line is:

Zetterberg - Nathan Horton - Magnus Khanberg

The fourth line varies. Sometimes the fourth line becomes the "grind line." This works because these forwards can bu used as your penalty killers. This makes sure your PK unit is always fresh and you're not wearing down your forward on your top two lines who will already be on the powerplay unit.

Other times, my fourth line is less a "grind" line and more of a "goon" line. This tends to happen with my teams every so often. When the talent is a bit thin and I grab players like this off waivers. I don't mind the physical stuff, so it's not all bad.

Most frequently, I try to put out a "kid" line with the fourth line. These are usually rookie players or younger players (20-22) who I want to give some ice time in the NHL. At the moment, this is what I am doing. The kid line currently is:

Tomas Pospisil - Anze Kopitar - Michael Blunden

Over all, don't hesitate to mix and match lines. I have found that tweaking lines or tactics just a little bit, is a good way to get out of a slump. I also like to try to have lines that fit together. Have a great playmaking center? Put him with a sniper or two?

I used to play A LOT of Strat-o-Matic hockey back in the day. I think it heavily influences how I put my lines together. I don't think the two games work the same at all, but it is what it is. These influences mainly include:

1. For each defensive pairing at least one of the blueliners should be able to move the puck: good skating/passing. I love me some big, tough hard-hitting defensemen, but if both guys are hulking pilons with no puck skills, you are in for a long shift: turnovers, penalties, etc.

2. If I have a checking line, there should be no defensive weak spot. All three forwards should be good checkers, hitters, etc.

3. Never trust your goalie. No matter how good he appears to be on paper, he will screw you over.

4. Hitting is fun.

5. You need at least one guy who can fight if things get out of control.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #742
Karim
College Starter

Great summary, HB. I think I might just go back to doing my own tactics. I was in a slump and turned it over to the head coach.

With the Flames, I tried to have a Crash the Net, High Forecheck, Hard, Hard, Power game. It worked well during the regular season (4th overall) but I got killed by Dallas in the first round, including once losing 7-0.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #743
jbmagic
Pro Starter

good news. there another update to the unfake version 1.

>> Minor League Update <<
Description: Update that updates the AHL's new Division Alignment for the upcoming season as well as the new teams. Also some changes to the ECHL.

Builds upon the unfake update.

Minor League Update v1.0 by Javs and Kidhander

(Database) Updates...

- New AHL Teams for that are entering the league in the 05-06 season, and new Division Alignment
- New Teams in the ECHL
- NHL Affiliations Updated to July 1st/05
- Minor Unfaking
- Some 04/05 Transfers

(Logo Pack) Updates...

- AHL/ECHL Team/Comp Logos

Unzip Database to NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005\data
Unzip Logo Pack to NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005\data\Pictures

http://www.eastside-uk.co.uk/download_file.php?id=78

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-04-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #744
Karim
College Starter

Has anyone figured out how to access your shortlist during the draft? I know we were able to in last year's version and man do I miss not being able to.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #745
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
good news. there another update to the unfake version 1.

>> Minor League Update <<
Description: Update that updates the AHL's new Division Alignment for the upcoming season as well as the new teams. Also some changes to the ECHL.

Builds upon the unfake update.

Minor League Update v1.0 by Javs and Kidhander

(Database) Updates...

- New AHL Teams for that are entering the league in the 05-06 season, and new Division Alignment
- New Teams in the ECHL
- NHL Affiliations Updated to July 1st/05
- Minor Unfaking
- Some 04/05 Transfers

(Logo Pack) Updates...

- AHL/ECHL Team/Comp Logos

Unzip Database to NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005\data
Unzip Logo Pack to NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005\data\Pictures

http://www.eastside-uk.co.uk/download_file.php?id=78

I haven't dug into it too deeply, so I don't know how widespread the problems are, but at the very least, I'd advise Leaf fans (and/or anyone wanting to play as them) to stay away from this.

I was pleased to see that they got the Marlies in the game -- and they're selectable if you want to play the AHL -- but if you start as the Leafs, and you go to the "See Also" menu from the roster screen, it still lists Pensacola and St. John's as the minor league affiliates. Worse, if you go to the St. John's roster via this method, the title bar says St. John's, but the roster is empty.

If you want to send a player down from the main roster, there is only an option to "Send to St. John's".

To cap it all off, selecting the Roster Management view crashes the game.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:57 PM   #746
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
I haven't dug into it too deeply, so I don't know how widespread the problems are, but at the very least, I'd advise Leaf fans (and/or anyone wanting to play as them) to stay away from this.

I was pleased to see that they got the Marlies in the game -- and they're selectable if you want to play the AHL -- but if you start as the Leafs, and you go to the "See Also" menu from the roster screen, it still lists Pensacola and St. John's as the minor league affiliates. Worse, if you go to the St. John's roster via this method, the title bar says St. John's, but the roster is empty.

If you want to send a player down from the main roster, there is only an option to "Send to St. John's".

To cap it all off, selecting the Roster Management view crashes the game.

That's what you get for being a leaf fan
Old 07-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #747
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Has anyone figured out how to access your shortlist during the draft? I know we were able to in last year's version and man do I miss not being able to.

Not sure if you can access it, but I do know that players on your shortlist are a different color on the draft screen.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #748
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Not sure if you can access it, but I do know that players on your shortlist are a different color on the draft screen.

So I guess the only way to get an overview is to scroll through the massive list and then use the 'compare players' feature.... yuck.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #749
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So I guess the only way to get an overview is to scroll through the massive list and then use the 'compare players' feature.... yuck.

or be more selective of who you put on your shortlist
Old 07-05-2005, 03:51 AM   #750
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:

Not sure what you mean here - how would being able to access the shortlist during the draft make it easier to compare players to each other?