Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #701
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
I think the A-League is right there for promotion demotion, its just a matter of the MLS owners having the balls...former MLS team miami is in the a-league now, so its not a stetch

It's not a matter of courage, it's a matter of not being idiots. There's too much money invested for the franchises to risk relegation.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #702
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm not sure about the Beckham rule. I don't know if MLS can afford to throw money at aging stars. And is this going to turn the MLS into a Senior Tour league? Beckham, Figo, and Ronaldo (granted he's not too old yet, but he does seem past his prime)? I understand how as a marketing tool this is great news, but for the development of the league as a competitive force I'm not sold.

Having 14 guys in the league certainly isn't going to make it a Senior Tour. I think that ideally, these guys will help to bring more legitimacy to the league on an international scale. As more and more guys go to Europe the league will gain fame, and if some of these once world class players continue to come to the MLS it can only be positive.

Further, I am reserving judgement on the USA v Mexico club battle, but that could go a long way for the MLS as well, particularly if its teams can do well against some of the best, in a very well respected league.

Quote:

It's not a matter of courage, it's a matter of not being idiots. There's too much money invested for the franchises to risk relegation.

This is the truth. There is no way that an investor is going to put millions into a team that could end up playing in 3000 seat ballparks. It just isn't going to happen here.

The USL would like to have a relegation system, but again it comes down to dollars. The teams in D2 just aren't rich enough to play road games in Rochester, Miami, Seattle and Portland.

The good news in the USL is that it has the best grass roots soccer program in the US. Single table, a better playoff system and followings that are driven locally, not nationally. USL Div 1 will expand to 14 teams next year (Carolina and California) and USL D 2 expand to 10.

I think that this is the most logical place where you will eventually see promotion/relegation.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #703
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

God, I actually feel sorry for this team. SEVEN COACHES in 21 months? (Plus their new owner is a mega millionaire who's also a megalomanic...

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=1682792006

Pressley's future on line at Hearts
STUART BATHGATE CHIEF SPORTS WRITER ()

THE looming crisis at Hearts took a serious turn for the worse last night when Steven Pressley was omitted from the team for the 1-1 draw at Falkirk in the Bank of Scotland Premierleague. Hearts would not confirm if the Scotland international had either resigned from the captaincy or been stripped of it, but Pressley was said by a club source to be "not mentally prepared" to play.

Paul Hartley, who has deputised as skipper for Pressley on the odd occasion lately, was dropped to the bench and did not appear on the pitch until the third minute of added-on time. Christophe Berra was thus asked to captain the side.

For all the official statements of unity - most of which have been voiced by Lithuanian players or the interpreter Alex Kozlovski - the situation at Hearts has grown steadily worse since Pressley issued a statement criticising the way certain aspects of the club were being run. Although the majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov did not react at first, it is now evident that he will tolerate no criticism of his methods.

Meanwhile, as if matters at Tynecastle were not muddled enough, Hearts are about to get yet another new head coach. The man in question this time, who will be the seventh to take charge of the team in Romanov's 21 months at the helm, is Eugenijus Riabovas, who is to take over from Eduard Malofeev on a temporary basis.

Malofeev, who himself was placed in caretaker charge last month when Valdas Ivanauskas departed on sick leave, is leaving to take his UEFA pro coaching licence. It is not clear when he will return. To add further drama to the occasion, he was sent to the stand last night after a protest which involved physical contact with the fourth official, and will face a touchline ban if he does end up back at Hearts. A spokesman for the club said Malofeev had thought the fourth official was a Falkirk employee and was illegally preventing Andrius Velicka from returning to the pitch following treatment for a cut.

Riabovas, 55, the head coach of FBK Kaunas, is able to take up the post at Tynecastle because the Lithuanian season has ended. Romanov, Hearts' owner, also controls Kaunas.

When Riabovas arrived in Edinburgh last week Hearts insisted he was in the city to observe training methods and denied he was here to join the staff. There was no official confirmation from the club yesterday but a senior source indicated the Lithuanian would be taking over on a temporary basis.

When Riabovas' appointment is confirmed he will become the third former Kaunas coach to take charge of Hearts and the seventh man at the helm since Romanov took effective control of the club early last year. John Robertson, appointed to succeed Craig Levein shortly before the takeover, parted company with the club near the end of the 2004-05 season after refusing to accept a demoted coaching post.

Since then, George Burley, Graham Rix and Ivanauskas have come and gone, and the assistant coach John McGlynn has taken charge for a handful of matches before stepping back again. Jim Duffy, briefly director of football during Rix's time in charge, was sacked at the same time as the manager. Ivanauskas is still officially Hearts' head coach but is currently signed off indefinitely.

Speaking after watching Hearts' Under-19 side defeat Inverurie Locos at Tynecastle on Sunday, Riabovas said: "At this time I don't know if I will be the new coach. I came to Edinburgh because Malofeev was the head coach at FK Kaunas. I came to see Hearts. Romanov can say 'Go back to Kaunas' tomorrow and I will go. I am Kaunas coach at the moment."

Malofeev, the former Soviet Union coach whose official role at Hearts is "advisor to the board on football matters", has been caretaker coach with the Tynecastle club only for the past three weeks while Ivanauskas has been recuperating back home in Lithuania. Hearts have now failed to win any of Malofeev's four games in charge. They drew with Dunfermline and lost to Celtic in the league, and were beaten by Hibs last week in the CIS Cup.

While Romanov has uttered no public criticism of the veteran coach, he issued an edict last week ordering minimal cooperation with the media. One effect of that was that the colourful figure of Malofeev stopped attending press conferences before and after matches, being replaced by the monochrome Kozlovski, the interpreter cum "sport director".

In accordance with Romanov's policy, a spokesman for Hearts declined to comment on the situation regarding the head coach's post yesterday. The only on-the-record statement from the club about Riabovas therefore remains the words uttered by Kozlovski last Wednesday, when he was asked what role the Kaunas coach was to have with the Edinburgh club.

"There is no role [for Riabovas]," Kozlovski said. "He came to see us training to improve for his team in Lithuania. He did not get involved in coaching, he was just observing. He has no link with Hearts."

Meanwhile, Hearts have released right-back Tiago Costa "for personal reasons".
Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #704
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotman
This is the truth. There is no way that an investor is going to put millions into a team that could end up playing in 3000 seat ballparks. It just isn't going to happen here.

Bingo. For a league still trying to take off and sell off clubs still owned by the league, relegation would stop that growth in its tracks as the risk of owning an MLS franchise would increase exponentially. Of course that becomes a self-perpetuating circle as more money invested in MLS will make them even more valuable meaning even less impetus for relegation/promotion, but that's how things go in US sports.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:53 AM   #705
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
In general, I figure that it doesn't really make sense for a team on the east coast to play as many games against a team in LA as against a team in New York.

None of the major European leagues have similar concerns. (I dunno what Russia does.)
It really isn't an issue for Russia. All but one team are in the 'European' part of Russia, around Moscow or St. Petersburg. The team on the east coast (FC Luch-Energia from Vladivostok) wins all their home games and loses all their road games (they are a win away from clinching 1st of 16 in home games, they are a road loss away from clinching 16th of 16 in road games).
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #706
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
It really isn't an issue for Russia. All but one team are in the 'European' part of Russia, around Moscow or St. Petersburg.

There's more than just the one team outside the European part of Russia, Tom Tomsk are in the top division (and have the best name in European football since Boby Brno changed their name), Perm and Samara have teams too.

Russia has different problems with their travel though, the Grozny team were in the top division last season. If they were actually playing their games in Chechnya I'm sure it wasn't a fun away day for the Moscow teams, particularly CSKA (the Russian Army team).
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #707
Critch
lolzcat

dola...

Iain Dowie fired after only 12 league games at Charlton. So their last manager lasts 15 years, their new guy lasts 3 months. They've still got a long way to go to challenge Hearts for turnover though.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 AM   #708
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
There's more than just the one team outside the European part of Russia, Tom Tomsk are in the top division (and have the best name in European football since Boby Brno changed their name), Perm and Samara have teams too.

Russia has different problems with their travel though, the Grozny team were in the top division last season. If they were actually playing their games in Chechnya I'm sure it wasn't a fun away day for the Moscow teams, particularly CSKA (the Russian Army team).
FWIW, I was mainly talking about the west coast - east coast traveling issue. You are correct in your assesment that there are more teams far away from Moscow, but from what I understood from an interview with Fernando Ricksen, the away game at Vladivostok is generally considered as the only one being far away. Of course, that's just one selection of players' opinion...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #709
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Even with those things, it wouldn't fly without a playoffs to determine the eventual league champ. That's just how Americans are mostly ingrained. And advertizers in the US would never go for promotion/relegation (in Europe it ain't as big a deal).

Second point is especially true. Taking the EPL for example, there are a whole bunch of teams in all the major metro areas of England, particularly London, so if one goes down, there's still Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, to represent those large cities. In the US, one team represents all of the New York/New Jersey metro area and two represent the LA area now. TV execs would run for the hills if the NY and LA markets were both out of the top flight. The NFL has proven you can live without LA, but the NFL is so popular now, they can get away with it. But, New York in particular is important. A major league in America must have a New York team. Without it (and the attendent local and national media in its sphere of influence), a major league would struggle badly. Thus, it's unlikely you could ever see a relegation league, particularly in soccer, because no one wants to risk losing the New York market.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #710
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

whoa, so Juve have their sights set on David Villa from Valencia? That'd be a hell of a grab up top opposite Trezzie. Although I will hate to see Buffon go if/when that happens also.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #711
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Second point is especially true. Taking the EPL for example, there are a whole bunch of teams in all the major metro areas of England, particularly London, so if one goes down, there's still Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, to represent those large cities. In the US, one team represents all of the New York/New Jersey metro area and two represent the LA area now. TV execs would run for the hills if the NY and LA markets were both out of the top flight. The NFL has proven you can live without LA, but the NFL is so popular now, they can get away with it. But, New York in particular is important. A major league in America must have a New York team. Without it (and the attendent local and national media in its sphere of influence), a major league would struggle badly. Thus, it's unlikely you could ever see a relegation league, particularly in soccer, because no one wants to risk losing the New York market.

And losing that NY market is the big fear, especially seeing as how the Metrostars/Red Bull NY haven't exactly lit the league on fire since they where a charter member of the MLS. If there was promotion/relegation, I'm pretty positive that the Metrostars (unbought by Red Bull in this alternative timeline) would be languishing in the A-League, or whoever was the 2nd division.

The salary cap also allows this risk to be more felt. Because of the parity that occurs due to salary caps, a big market team is more likely to hit the bottom of the league than in a league where big market teams can spend like money is going out of style.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:14 AM   #712
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Beckham rumors are again swirling regarding MLS, with Red Bull reportedly offering him a $100 million deal (no idea on length, as this is all very suspect info).

I think personally he makes far more sense in New York than Los Angeles (the leading rumor), because LA is already a much more successful city in MLS. I can tell you from first hand experience that the NY attendance numbers are total bullshit. If the league wants the best net impact, I genuinely believe he will have a much larger impact in New York.

To me the huge issue in coming to New York would be the stadium. I realize his deal with Real Madrid is about to end, but i can't imagine him playing on the turf of Giants stadium in '07. 2008 would make a lot more sense given the brand new Red Bull stadium and the chance for that to give the team a big push in new season-ticket sales, etc.

Of course with the seasonal differences here, maybe he wouldn't rule out playing a sort of half-season in 07, given that he'll be wrapping up in May over there. Take a few months off, sign a mega-deal, practice for a few weeks, and then start taking the field for late season/playoffs.

I just think for MLS' sake, it has to be Beckham here in '08 at latest for it to ever be a move worth making. If he signs a 5 year deal next week, i dont think he'll ever matter in the landscape of soccer in the United States.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-21-2006 at 12:17 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #713
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Oh, and now the word on Clint Dempsey is to Charlton? I assume when he talked about playing in the Premier league that he wanted to do so for more than just a few months.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...sey/index.html
Old 11-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #714
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The most remarkable thing in that story, to me, is that he dropped Motzkin as his agent. I had seen the Charlton and Fulham rumors, which is good because it might set off a bidding war.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 11-21-2006, 01:44 AM   #715
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
The most remarkable thing in that story, to me, is that he dropped Motzkin as his agent. I had seen the Charlton and Fulham rumors, which is good because it might set off a bidding war.

Fulham is a definite, as Chris Coleman was spotted at a New England-DC (i believe) game. Charlton seemed to kind of come out of left field in the last couple days. I mean, looking at stability and likelihood of being in the Premiership in 2007-2008, it would be an easy decision to me. Not to mention joining a pair of fellow Americans, which would probably provide a nice level of comfort/support there.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-21-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #716
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Charlton isn't out of left field at all -- as I recall, they were the ones that made a $1.5 million bid this summer that MLS turned down.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #717
McSweeny
College Starter

what a game!

Celtic 1-0 over ManU!!
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #718
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Fuck, was Champions League this week?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #719
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Fuck, was Champions League this week?

Just hit Soccernet.. damnit!

I didn't Tivo any of the games.. oh well, I will get tommorrow's games at least

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-21-2006 at 04:19 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #720
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
I didn't Tivo any of the games.. oh well, I will get tommorrow's games at least

Bad news is ESPN isn't showing the Werder v Chelsea game until 1.30am.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #721
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I think personally he makes far more sense in New York than Los Angeles (the leading rumor), because LA is already a much more successful city in MLS. I can tell you from first hand experience that the NY attendance numbers are total bullshit. If the league wants the best net impact, I genuinely believe he will have a much larger impact in New York.
His marketability would also be wasted on LA. Don't get me wrong I love living here but LA people are frontrunning fans with leanings toward the "popular" (Dodgers amazing ability to draw fans being an exception). A footie star, even one of his magnitude, would be completely wasted on this damn town. NY fans are more likely to be clued and, being a major metropolitan city, his popularity will draw enough attention to make it worthwhile.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #722
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I just got through catching up on all the Champions League games showed on Setanta this week...

CSKA Moscow vs. FC Porto - pretty blech game, Porto clearly he better side, though Carvahlio looked really good for Moscow

Arsenal vs. Hamburg - unbelievable how this game turned late. The early Van Der Vaart goal had Hamburg looking at least capable of a draw, then they just fell to pieces and Arsenal end up with what looked like an easy win. And yes, as a Spurs fan it pained me to see Hamburg blow it like that. I'm praying for Arsenal to get bounced out of the CL right now (and it's still possible on the final match day).

Real Madrid vs. Lyon - this ended up being the best game of the bunch, totally wild game from start to finish. John Carew of Lyon was a freakin beast! And a ton of drama at the end with Ruud missing the PK. Great, great game.

Liverpool vs. PSV Eindhoven - Outside of my team (Spurs) Liverpool is definitely my favorite team to root on. I love the Crouch/Kuyt combo up front and they played really well off each other. Gerrard definitely looked better basically playing wherever he wanted as well.

Levski Sofia vs. Barcelona - Pretty high on the snooze-fest list, Barcelona was simply going through the motions after the early goal.

Valencia vs. Olympiacos - even more of a snoozer, boring game overall, containing two teams I couldn't care less about. I'm amazed I sat all the way through it.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:06 AM   #723
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny View Post
what a game!

Celtic 1-0 over ManU!!

I thought it was a really good game (even having known the final outcome when watching), but god was that an awful call to give them the free kick, one of many dubious decision by the official on the evening. The back-to-back mystery calls (one at each end of the field) on Neville in the first half are a great example. But goddamn what a free kick by Nakamura! Undoubtedly the most popular Japanese guy in Scotland right now.

And Saha lost his mind on the penalty kick, but even moreso when he simply stopped playing because he assumed he was offsides... unreal!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #724
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought it was a really good game (even having known the final outcome when watching), but god was that an awful call to give them the free kick, one of many dubious decision by the official on the evening. The back-to-back mystery calls (one at each end of the field) on Neville in the first half are a great example. But goddamn what a free kick by Nakamura! Undoubtedly the most popular Japanese guy in Scotland right now.

And Saha lost his mind on the penalty kick, but even moreso when he simply stopped playing because he assumed he was offsides... unreal!

yep. you learn that in the peewee leagues, dont stop playing until you hear the whistle
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #725
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
I thought it was a really good game (even having known the final outcome when watching), but god was that an awful call to give them the free kick

Much of the Scottish press regard it as justice after the highly debatable penalty in the game at Old Trafford earlier in the year.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:57 PM   #726
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Loved Bolton beating down Arsenal today, both physically and on the scoreboard.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #727
Critch
lolzcat

Last season Hamburg finished 3rd in the German Bundesliga, 7 points behind 1st place and in a qualifying spot for the Champions League. Their coach Thomas Doll was a hero.

This season they're in 17th (in the relegation zone), already 18 points out of first place, they've lost all their Champions League group games, and have won just one game in their last 23.

Today was rumored to be Thomas Dolls last chance of keeping his job despite the HSV board saying Doll wouldnt be fired before Xmas. His team had to take something out of the Bundesliga game against reigning champions Bayern Munich. Looked good at half time, HSV 1-0 up, but Bayern scored twice in the second half to sink them again.

Amazing the difference a single season can make.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #728
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Ronaldinho bicycle goal (the replays start at the 1:05 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlzOUrEWPqg

Chelsea/Man U in a few hours.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #729
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
This season they're in 17th (in the relegation zone), already 18 points out of first place, they've lost all their Champions League group games, and have won just one game in their last 23.

HSV are the only team in Germany never to have been relegated from the Bundesliga. When I was at one of their league games last year, I noticed a clock in the corner of the stadium which was counting the days they had been in the top division. (You can see it at http://www.hsv.de)

If they don't improve soon that clock might get reset to zero.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #730
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Ronaldinho bicycle goal (the replays start at the 1:05 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlzOUrEWPqg

That guy is good.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #731
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Man U - Chelsea was a total game of two halves to me. I thought Man U were by far better in the first, and Chelsea by far better in the 2nd. In fact I can't even remember hearing Rooney's name in the second half. Big goal by Saha to shake off the mid-week stuff.

I think the draw is a slight win for Chelsea. They're a deeper squad, and more likely to be able to maintain their pace for the whole year, so it kind of sucks from Man U's perspective to not be able to put a little space between them right now. Still, I hope someone can surprise Chelsea soon and beat them (Bolton on Wednesday, perhaps?)
Old 11-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #732
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
I think the draw is a slight win for Chelsea. They're a deeper squad, and more likely to be able to maintain their pace for the whole year

The second half substitutions showed the differences in squad depth. Chelsea brought on Robben and Joe Cole, Man Utd brought on Fletcher and O'Shea.

I was hoping for a Man Utd win just to make things interesting, I'd still expect Chelsea to overcome a 6 point Man Utd lead but at least it would take a little longer. No doubt though that Chelsea deserved a draw based on their second half performance.

Still waiting to see something from Ballack and Shevchenko since they moved to Chelsea. Ballack in particular looks out of sorts, seems to lose his temper easily and throw in late tackles risking bookings. He looks totally different to the player that was the reason Bayern won the league last year.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:53 AM   #733
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Loved Bolton beating down Arsenal today, both physically and on the scoreboard.
If Arseblogger's recap was correct (he was a SMIDGE emotional), then Bolton just played with more heart and desire than us in the first half. If there were any thuggery from Bolton, it must have been few and far between enough that it more or less didn't register with most Arse fans. There are ZERO f'n excuse for that. Contenders play day-in and day-out in their effort to catch runaway'ish leaders who had magnificent start. Pretenders give up points in games they dominate and just flat out get beat by not showing up for a half.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #734
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
If Arseblogger's recap was correct (he was a SMIDGE emotional), then Bolton just played with more heart and desire than us in the first half. If there were any thuggery from Bolton, it must have been few and far between enough that it more or less didn't register with most Arse fans. There are ZERO f'n excuse for that. Contenders play day-in and day-out in their effort to catch runaway'ish leaders who had magnificent start. Pretenders give up points in games they dominate and just flat out get beat by not showing up for a half.

Not so much thuggery as generally "tough" play and very much in-your-face-ness. They showed that in no way were they awed by Arsenal, and i think it actually rattled the Gunners early on when Kevin Davies shoved whoever it was to the ground and a couple calls seemed to go against Arsenal. To me it seemed to be the mental equivelant of a punch straight in the mouth very early on in the game. Bolton were just flying all over the place, making a lot of very aggressive (but clean) tackles, and not backing down at anything. And the crowd was just out of their mind. Combine that with the early lead and really everything was going Bolton's way.

It was huge of them to get their goal pretty quickly, because it honestly felt like Anelka's first goal was the knockout punch. But then it was 2-1 before you could blink.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #735
3ric
College Starter

I was reminded of this goal today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzV-7_Lu7sY

Anyone else remember this game? It's the last game of the season, and Barcelona must win to finish fourth in the league and seize the final spot in the Champions League. Rivaldo scores the first goal on a free kick, Valencia ties. Rivaldo scores again on a long shot, and Valencia ties the score at 2-2. Then, in the final minute of regulation, Rivaldo scores on this overhead kick and Camp Nou goes completely bonkers.
He's still a cheating bastard, but I'll concede this is one of the greatest clutch goals I've ever seen.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #736
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I don't wish to alarm you, but Reading are currently tied for third on points (in IIRC 6th on differential) with a game in hand on 4th and 5th.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #737
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Article on the search for a US National Team Coach. More humorous than anything else.

On ESPN Soccernet

When the ax finally fell on Bruce Arena's career as U.S. national team coach, there was tangible excitement in the American soccer community about the opportunity U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati had to bring in the type of coach to build on Arena's eight-year tenure.

That was more than five months ago. Excitement has long since faded into exasperation as Gulati's November deadline came and went, leaving fans wondering just who will lead the U.S. team and when will they take over. Instead of pondering a new coach's impact, fans have been left to replay the bad memories of the World Cup and watch as the U.S. national team became an afterthought on the world scene.

Andy Mead/WireImage
Sunil Gulati had planned to name a new coach by November.

So why such a long delay in hiring a national team coach? Here is one list of theories, delivered David Letterman style:

Top 10 reasons Sunil Gulati still hasn't hired a coach.

10. He can't decide what's worse, Bob Bradley's Spanish or Jose Pekerman's English.

9. How quickly would you hire somebody if you had 10 jobs to juggle?

8. He needs just a few more airline miles to reach platinum elite status.

7. Spent first three months trying to find a coach he could see eye to eye with, then decided Richie Williams wasn't experienced enough.

6. Still trying to decide which candidate is most likely to flop so he can pull an Isiah Thomas and coach the team himself.

5. Too busy entertaining an offer from Dietrich Mateschitz. The Red Bull U.S. national team has a nice ring to it.

4. Juergen Klinsmann won't take the job unless Gulati promises to have Eric Wynalda whacked.

3. Delay gives him an excuse to keep calling Sepp Blatter for "advice."

2. Lost a bunch of resumes during one of his Super Fan conventions.

And the No. 1 reason Sunil Gulati still hasn't hired a coach: Too busy deleting hate mail from Bruce Arena.

Joking about the delay is all you can do when we are left with rumors, fishy news reports and constant reminders from Gulati that he hasn't reached a decision yet. Should we believe him or should we take seriously the words of U.S. national team defender Steve Cherundolo, who told German media last week that he had heard Klinsmann had in fact been hired?

If Klinsmann has indeed been hired, then what has this near half-year delay been about? Klinsmann was the obvious choice in July and every month since. We have heard interesting names in the interim, such as Pekerman and current Lyon coach Gerard Houllier, but was it all for the purposes of making Gulati's search look thorough and not a case of him offering the job to the first big name to express interest?

The thing is nobody would have complained if Gulati had hired Klinsmann months ago, at least not many Americans would have. German fans still upset about Klinsmann's abrupt resignation certainly would have been, which is what made a delay in Klinsmann accepting the position a possibility since Klinsmann probably didn't want to make it too obvious that his intentions were to take over the U.S. team all along. That would have made a two- or three-month delay understandable, but five months has been overkill.

Was the contract really that difficult to hammer out? Was the adidas-Nike conflict truly a sticking point? Maybe there was truth to the rumors that Gulati almost gave up on Klinsmann as his pick because of high salary demands.

Perhaps the first real piece of evidence that Klinsmann is indeed the man came when U.S. Soccer announced that its first match of the 2007 season would be against Denmark. Considering this is a year when the U.S. national team is set to play in two major tournaments dominated by Latin American countries, why would the United States play a European squad? If Pekerman were actually the choice, don't you think he would have called on his ties in South America to line up a friendly that might help the U.S. player pool for this summer's steady diet of Latin opponents?

Then you have Denmark coach Morten Olsen, who has strong ties to Germany, having played and coached there. In fact, he played for FC Koln around the same time Klinsmann played at Stuttgart and the two also faced off for their respective national teams. Olsen was also regarded as a favorite to land the Germany job before Klinsmann was hired. Would it be too much of a stretch to expect a new coach (Klinsmann) to ask a long-time colleague (Olsen) who happens to coach a tough national team if he would be the first opponent for his new team? This sort of speculation is what we have been left to practice because a five-month wait for news is enough to drive anyone crazy.

So here we are, in the first full week of December. Gulati promised an announcement this week and all signs point to it finally happening. If Klinsmann is his pick, then Gulati should stop wasting time and pull the trigger already. The sooner Klinsmann is aboard, the better, because he has a lot of work to do. He has established players to talk to, new talents to identify, a player development system to help fix and a fan base to win over. Here is hoping Klinsmann works out, because if he doesn't, there is no telling how long it would take Gulati to hire his replacement.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #738
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Champions League Final 16 is all set..

Any surprises??
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #739
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Champions League Final 16 is all set..

Any surprises??

No huge surprises, all the teams that are expected to challenge to win the tournament made it through safely.

Highlight of the night was Timothee Atouba of HSV giving away a penalty for CSKA's first goal, pulling out of a tackle in the buildup for the second goal, then completely losing the plot when he was substituted. He left to boos, flipped off the crowd, shouted a few choice words at them, then was given the red card while arguing with his manager. He's been suspended for 2 games by the club, but since there's only 2 games before the winter break in Germany there's a good chance he'll never play for HSV again.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #740
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
He's been suspended for 2 games by the club, but since there's only 2 games before the winter break in Germany there's a good chance he'll never play for HSV again.

Won't be much of a loss to Hamburg. As I mentioned a few months back when I was talking about the Hamburg game I went to last season....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Thimothee Atouba played a truly dreadful game, every pass he made seemed to go to a Stuttgart player.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #741
Critch
lolzcat

Latest Wonderkid, 10 years old and already playing with the 14 year olds. Judging by this video, if/when he's in FM he'll have "looks to pass instead of score himself" on his position screen.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiUA_JriWMs
Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #742
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You can call off the EPL Goal of the Year competition the rest of the way..

From Portsmouth V Everton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_jkFOfVMFQ
Old 12-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #743
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Pretty impressive goal. Poor Timmy Howard...
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #744
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You can call off the EPL Goal of the Year competition the rest of the way..

From Portsmouth V Everton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_jkFOfVMFQ

A poor imitation of this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmIgmGiasZo
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #745
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Is anyone else watching Chelsea-Arsenal? Boy, these two teams don't like each other.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #746
Critch
lolzcat

Last 30 mins of the Chelsea v Arsenal game was brilliant. End to end stuff, great goals, glaring misses and Drogba and Lehmann flopping to the ground like little girls in a playground pushing match.

And Taylor's goal for goal of the season, wasn't a goalkeepers mistake like Alonso's
Old 12-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #747
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...395111&cc=5901

NYON, Switzerland -- ESPN and ABC will televise soccer's 2008 European Championship under an agreement announced Friday by the Union of European Football Associations.

All 31 games will be televised in the United States: two by ABC and the rest by ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Classic. The tournament will be played in Austria and Switzerland from June 7-29.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #748
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... that's great news . Gotta rev up my DVR, so I can tape them while I'm at work .

Though would it be too much to hope that they are all (except the ones on Classic) to be in HD? Probably...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #749
Critch
lolzcat

Alan Pardew has been fired by West Ham, second EPL manager to lose his job this season. I feel a bit sorry for him, he built a team around hard workers and then had two "superstars" forced on him that seem to have messed up the balance.

Ex-West Ham player Alan Curbishley looks to be the favorite to take over.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #750
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Spurs looked incredibly convincing at home today, winning 3-1 in a game that could have easily been 5 or 6-0. Berbatov is amazing.

Looking forward to the UEFA and Champions League draws tomorrow.