Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #7401
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
as their are more votes outstanding in NV and AZ than the lead

That's not the network's standard for calling a state in any other instance. I don't know if it's a good or bad idea or all the reasons behind it, or how much it matters, but they're absolutely not just going by their ordinary projection book here.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #7402
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Come on, they would've called these states in the past. In that infamous 2012 Karl Rove meltdown, he was making that very same argument: complaining because there were more votes outstanding in Ohio than the margin at the time. The Fox News Decision Desk guy stood by his call because most of the votes remaining were from Cleveland.

That's the same exact scenario we have here. If you think they should be more cautious this time around, then fine, but they are clearly applying a different standard than they have in the past.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 11-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #7403
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's not the network's standard for calling a state in any other instance. I don't know if it's a good or bad idea or all the reasons behind it, or how much it matters, but they're absolutely not just going by their ordinary projection book here.

I see two reasons for extreme caution:

(1) The President is making this a very contentious election, so you have to be double/triple/quadruple sure.

(2) Because of the unprecedented voting patterns created by the pandemic, you can't be as sure as normal about what different groups of voters will say.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #7404
molson
General Manager

I'm not sure how "contentiousness" should impact projection models. Why should indications that someone is going to be a poor loser impact news coverage? (Except for maybe immediate security concerns around the network buildings). If someone's going to be gracious in defeat the networks should be more aggressive calling states?

Edit: It also seems like the "contentiousness variable" for calling elections would encourage contentiousness as Trump supporters can see how they're successfully intimidating the networks.

The second one makes some more sense to me after all of the roving estimates about how many votes were left, etc.

If I had to guess, if someone called this at 6AM this morning, they all would have by now. Nobody wants to be first. I wonder if there's discussions to that end behind the scenes.

Last edited by molson : 11-06-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #7405
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
(2) Because of the unprecedented voting patterns created by the pandemic, you can't be as sure as normal about what different groups of voters will say.

If we were getting a new county that had no counts at all, that would make sense. But the votes outstanding are from places that have already seen some counts, so we can already see the voting patterns.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 11-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #7406
Butter
Coordinator

PA Biden has a 13k+ lead with maybe 100k or so left to count, mostly from Dem leaning areas.

NV, Biden has a 20k+ lead with maybe 100k or so left to count, almost all from Vegas.

Call it

Last edited by Butter : 11-06-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #7407
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree at this point. It was painfully close, but we know who the winner is now. It's time to call it.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #7408
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Somebody wrote a statement for Trump to release about election integrity.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #7409
HerRealName
College Prospect

The only valid reason I can see for not calling PA are the 92K provisional ballots. I think I've seen where they are expected to be pro-Bidden based on the precinct info but I can't remember where I saw that at this point.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #7410
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Somebody wrote a statement for Trump to release about election integrity.

I would love to read this statement
Old 11-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #7411
Butter
Coordinator

113k ballots left in PA, over half in Philly or Allegheny (Pittsburgh) counties.

I doubted for a little while that the count would turn, but now I just want to see those numbers keep going up. 50k seems like a reasonable figure.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #7412
Ksyrup

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #7413
Ksyrup

Old 11-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #7414
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Is that what it seems like? Or does it seem like everybody agrees that Biden has won, it's just a matter of by how much at this point.

They don't have to wait until there are fewer votes remaining than the lead. If that were the case, they'd never call any states until hours after they've started counting.

This isn't hard.

So you think they are protecting Trump? You think CNN or NBC cares about Trump's feelings? Is that your theory? Or are they just making sure they dot their i's and cross their t's?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #7415
Ksyrup

I think there's some degree of inevitability, time is on Biden's side, and there's no reason to feed the perception this was a con perpetrated by the Dems/Lamestream Media, so why rush it?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #7416
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
So you think they are protecting Trump? You think CNN or NBC cares about Trump's feelings? Is that your theory? Or are they just making sure they dot their i's and cross their t's?

My theory is no one wants to be the first one to call it, period. They're afraid to call it. For whatever reason.

Though I do like KSyrup's Simpsons meme above... waiting on Fox News to call it. LOL
Old 11-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #7417
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Come on, they would've called these states in the past. In that infamous 2012 Karl Rove meltdown, he was making that very same argument: complaining because there were more votes outstanding in Ohio than the margin at the time. The Fox News Decision Desk guy stood by his call because most of the votes remaining were from Cleveland.

That's the same exact scenario we have here. If you think they should be more cautious this time around, then fine, but they are clearly applying a different standard than they have in the past.

Back in 2012, or previous elections, there has always been this urgency to call SOMETHING on election night (that's what got a lot of networks in trouble in 2000). That doesn't apply here
Old 11-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #7418
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My theory is no one wants to be the first one to call it, period. They're afraid to call it. For whatever reason.

I don't think CNN or NBC cares about that. I think, esp NBC, would love to call it for Biden as soon as they are confident in it. MSNBC would gloat in it.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #7419
Ksyrup

Damn, John King almost said what I typed above word for word. Inevitability, why rush it.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #7420
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

CNN just explained it. They want to make sure there is no mathematical chance Trump can come back - and that needs them to know where the votes are outstanding. And when they get to the confidence they need to make the call, they'll make it.

What Ksyrup said as well.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #7421
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
PA Biden has a 13k+ lead with maybe 100k or so left to count, mostly from Dem leaning areas.

NV, Biden has a 20k+ lead with maybe 100k or so left to count, almost all from Vegas.

Call it

In normal times, I would agree to call it now. But for these hotly contested states, I'd wait. Perception does count.

For GA, my understanding is GA is pretty much done. However, today is last day for the military ballots. There are approx 8,000+ outstanding (not saying all of them will be received). I'd wait till the cut-off, see if there are enough receive that could change the result (probably not).

I actually thought NV was closer. If NV still has 100,000+ outstanding, I'd wait.

When it gets to the point where even if all 100% of outstanding goes for Trump but won't change the results, that's when to call it.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #7422
Ksyrup

Speaking of GA military ballots... apparently they suddenly matter regardless of when they come in!

Old 11-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #7423
Ksyrup

"Missing." Trump doesn't even understand that these are waiting to be filed by today, not filed and not counted yet. What a moran.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #7424
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
When it gets to the point where even if all 100% of outstanding goes for Trump but won't change the results, that's when to call it.

Again, this has never been the standard. Holding to this standard now is unnecessarily cautious. But I feel like we've exhausted the arguments at this point, and whatever happens, happens.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #7425
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean this morning Pennsylvania at one point when from +9000 to +8700 based on a drop and now the vote releases have slowed to a trickle in PA. Nevada ain't counting much fast at all. Arizona's new votes are going for Trump but maybe slightly less than he needs. Georgia has potentially 9,000 votes coming in today (likely not, but it can happen).

I will also note that NO ONE has called North Carolina yet.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-06-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #7426
Ksyrup

NC is weird. Been at 95% since Tuesday night. This being 2020, I half-expect them to just drop all the rest of the votes and they show Biden winning.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #7427
kingfc22
Head Coach

From the 538 blog:

Where we’re expecting more data tonight:

Pennsylvania: Biden has overtaken Trump in the state and now leads by 13,371 votes — and most of the remaining 100,000+ ballots should be very good for Democrats, given that they are either mail-in or provisional votes. Of particular note, a cache of about 29,000 mail-in ballots in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) that a court had ordered to be segregated and double-checked will be counted starting at 5 p.m. Eastern.

Nevada: After some updates this morning, Biden expanded his lead here to 20,137 votes. Although about 150,000 late-arriving mail ballots or provisional ballots have yet to be counted, these ballots are expected to lean Democratic. Clark County (home of Las Vegas), where most percent of the outstanding ballots are, will release its next update at 7 p.m. Eastern and should have the bulk of the counting done this weekend.

Arizona: Biden currently leads here by 43,779 votes, but there are somewhere around 220,000 left to count. Trump needs to win about 60 percent of those (or more) to pull into the lead, but he’s been falling short of that so far. We expect to get more results from Maricopa County (where most of the outstanding ballots are) at 9 p.m. Eastern. It’s unclear whether that will be enough to cause the networks to project the state. (Some outlets, such as Fox News, have already projected Arizona for Biden, but most media outlets have not, including our colleagues at ABC News.)

Georgia: Biden currently leads here by a razor-thin margin (1,561 votes) with about 8,200 regular absentee ballots, up to 8,900 overseas ballots and at least 5,500 provisional ballots left to count (plus 2,000 rejected absentee ballots that could be “cured” by their voters). The secretary of state has already said that the race will go to a recount.

No updates until next week:

North Carolina: North Carolina has counted every ballot it had in its possession as of Tuesday, and Trump leads by 76,737 votes among them. However, the state has announced that about 117,000 mail-in ballots and 40,766 provisional ballots are potentially outstanding, although not all of them will count. Mail-in ballots have until Nov. 12 to arrive, and only at that point will more results be released.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-06-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #7428
sabotai
General Manager

Since this morning, in PA since the last time I updated my spreadsheet, 24k more votes have come in and we are down to 97k votes left to count. These votes have split 65/35 for Biden, and looking at ABC's map, I see a sea of red counties at 95% reporting. I see only 2 red counties left that are below that (one at 89% and 1 one at 94%). So I think these were a good chunk of votes left from the rural areas.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-06-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #7429
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So Kornacki on MSNBC said that there are also 100,000 provisional ballots in PA and, while in a normal year they’d be Democrat-friendly, this year they’re favoring Trump (for example people who requested an absentee ballot but decided to vote in person because the president told them the mail was bad).

So they have to see how the provisionals are breaking first before they call it.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #7430
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Agree with Edward64 that perception counts, but I think it's as bad to wait too long as it is to call it too soon. Any call now disenfranchises nobody - there are no votes still being cast.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #7431
Ksyrup

Oh good, I can now go back to voting Republican!

Old 11-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #7432
sabotai
General Manager

And going back to my post about Biden underperforming vs Hillary in Philadelphia, he's currently at 553,953 in Philly with 23,288 (according to the dashboard) mail in ballots left to count. If he got literally every vote from that batch, he'll be at 577,241. Clinton got 584,025.

So, unless there's more ballots left than the dashboard is currently reporting, Biden with have gotten ~7,000 fewer votes in Philadelphia than Clinton got in 2016.

For comparison, Trump got 108,748 in 2016 and currently has 125,513, an increase of about 17k.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #7433
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
And going back to my post about Biden underperforming vs Hillary in Philadelphia, he's currently at 553,953 in Philly with 23,288 (according to the dashboard) mail in ballots left to count. If he got literally every vote from that batch, he'll be at 577,241. Clinton got 584,025.

So, unless there's more ballots left than the dashboard is currently reporting, Biden with have gotten ~7,000 fewer votes in Philadelphia than Clinton got in 2016.

For comparison, Trump got 108,748 in 2016 and currently has 125,513, an increase of about 17k.

It seems like that may track with what's gone on in the rest of the country. Biden has gained lot with whites, but Trump has gained a bit with blacks and latino/as
Old 11-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #7434
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There was a time when Lindsey Graham was a useful public servant. That ship has unfortunately long since sailed.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #7435
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
It seems like that may track with what's gone on in the rest of the country. Biden has gained lot with whites, but Trump has gained a bit with blacks and latino/as

It's funny that Trump and his supporters are freaking out over Philly, saying you can't trust the city and the vote is being rigged, when it's literally the only county in PA where he performed better than in 2016.

I guess the Dems that rigged the election just forgot about Philadelphia the way Danny forgot about the Iron Fleet.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #7436
Ksyrup

Quote:
113k ballots left in PA, over half in Philly or Allegheny (Pittsburgh) counties.

I doubted for a little while that the count would turn, but now I just want to see those numbers keep going up. 50k seems like a reasonable figure.

Just watched a clip analyzing this and there are also 100K provisional ballots - likely people who request absentee and then decided to vote in-person. It's likely these will favor Trump. So even if Biden gets a good chunk of the remaining regular absentee ballots, his lead may get cut down by the provisionals.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-06-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #7437
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
There was a time when Lindsey Graham was a useful public servant. That ship has unfortunately long since sailed.

My wife never understood when I used to mention him as a potential dealmaker and reasonable Senator. But he sold his soul to Trumpism and is just a hollow shell of his former self. He was always one of the token GOPs that would vote against things when they had a couple of Senators of wiggle room and that was all a mirage. But he could also be part of bipartisan working groups, too, and come up with reasonable compromises.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 11-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #7438
Ksyrup

Missed this, but it is important that they are already on record.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #7439
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I guess the Dems that rigged the election just forgot about Philadelphia the way Danny forgot about the Iron Fleet.

We also forgot about Kentucky somehow. And North Carolina.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #7440
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We also forgot about Kentucky somehow. And North Carolina.

And the Senate. And all those state houses that would have been useful for redistricting.

SI

Old 11-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #7441
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

Is there any dumbed down data (for me lol) that shows those gains?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #7442
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

When was that?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #7443
Ksyrup

You should know better than to expect the impossible, Dan.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #7444
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Crenshaw is probably happy. He's not the biggest idiot in Congress anymore.

Also, I'm totally hear for the GOP firing circle.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #7445
Drake
assmaster

We're living the horror movie not-dead-yet monster trope.

It's like we know that as soon as we turn our backs, the villain is going to rise up behind us and have to be killed again.

Say what you will about Trump, but it's pretty impressive that the guy has managed to give an entire nation collective PTSD to the extent that we're afraid NOT to stand over the body until we're 100% sure it's dead.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #7446
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's a small, but angry protest now forming demanding a recount in... Rhode Island?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #7447
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There's a small, but angry protest now forming demanding a recount in... Rhode Island?

PLEASE! ALL CRAZIES GO TO RHODE ISLAND AND PROTEST! FIGHT FOR THOSE FOUR (unwinnable) ELECTORAL VOTES!

SI

Old 11-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #7448
kingfc22
Head Coach

LOL at McConnell. He can't even get himself to verbally say he rejects Trump's premise of fraud, etc but instead says "read my tweet".
Old 11-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #7449
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
PLEASE! ALL CRAZIES GO TO RHODE ISLAND AND PROTEST! FIGHT FOR THOSE FOUR (unwinnable) ELECTORAL VOTES!

SI
Note the "GONNA BE A CIVIL WAR" shouted by a man in the background at 15s.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #7450
Thomkal
Head Coach

Evacautions ongoing in Philly near where they are counting ballots due to bomb threats
Closed Thread