Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2023, 03:54 PM   #7401
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Both sides were also interested in the Paycheck Protection Program and that turned out to be mostly fraud and handouts to people who didn't need it.

True.

IIRC I think the lawmakers back then understood the program would not be remotely close to perfect. But they wanted to rush something out to help stabilize small businesses in very uncertain times.

I do not begrudge the Dems and Reps that passed it in April, 2020 ... about the height of the panic. Ultimately, lousy governance & accountability but seemed to be the right thing to do at that time.

Quote:
The bill passed the Senate by voice vote on April 21, 2020. The bill passed the House of Representatives by a vote of 388–5 on April 23. The five House "no" votes were four right-wing Republicans (Thomas Massie, Andy Biggs, Ken Buck, and Jody Hice) and one left-wing Democrat (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 03:59 PM   #7402
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

PPP was also the compromise because they wanted to set up that private trillion dollar slush fund for big rich companies.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:06 PM   #7403
Edward64
Head Coach

And just read this piece. The $ in the article of $1B don't match up to the title stating $1.6B (about 2 hours old) but $1-$1.6B seems like a good use of money to catch, fine and imprison the fraudsters. Suspect < 50% success though, I can see grey and wiggle room.

Access Denied
Quote:
The White House on Thursday laid out its plan to target pandemic fraudsters and recapture stolen relief funds distributed under both the Trump and Biden administrations.

A top White House official said the goal was to provide $600 million to investigate and prosecute systemic pandemic fraud, a similar amount to bolster fraud prevention and $400 million to help victims of identity theft.

"The president wanted to make sure that we had a special and concerted effort to prosecute and punish the worst offenders of pandemic fraud," Gene Sperling, who is overseeing implementation of the White House’s American Rescue Plan, said on a call with reporters previewing the proposal.

While at least $2 billion has been recovered so far, according to Government Accountability Office data, some experts have estimated that Covid relief fraud could be more than a quarter of a trillion dollars. The Trump and Biden administrations distributed about $5 trillion in Covid relief funds.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-02-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #7404
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, just for future reference, this is an AARP pdf that states the options being considered to reduce the SS gap, the estimated impacts, and the pros & cons.

My position is there are political implications, positioning, special interest groups and like that will factor into the solutions. It will need to be a bipartisan solution and, therefore, it will not be an "easy" fix.

https://goyff.az.gov/sites/default/f...ty_options.pdf
Old 03-02-2023, 06:37 PM   #7405
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What dumber, Obama tan suit or both Biden’s ordering the same rigatoni?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:12 PM   #7406
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Wasn't there a big stink about Obama putting mustard on his burger?
Old 03-03-2023, 01:54 PM   #7407
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

A lot of politicians begged Amazon to come to their state and offered billions in subsidies. Some politicians spoke out against it. Turns out those that spoke against it were right.

Old 03-03-2023, 01:56 PM   #7408
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Biden going out for ice cream is up there too.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #7409
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I believe there was also a bagel controversy that involved both Joe and Hunter Biden. I imagine we haven't heard the last of that.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:38 PM   #7410
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I believe there was also a bagel controversy that involved both Joe and Hunter Biden. I imagine we haven't heard the last of that.

Please tell me there's not a '2 Bidens 1 Bagel' video out there.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-03-2023 at 06:44 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #7411
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Wasn't there like a multi-year meltdown over Michelle Obama wanting to add some fruits and vegetables to school lunches?
Old 03-04-2023, 03:19 PM   #7413
PilotMan
Head Coach

This was brutal

https://twitter.com/TheProblem/statu...ser=TheProblem

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:12 PM   #7414
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Brutal is the song Trump released at CPAC. A combination of him singing the pledge and J6 defendents "singing" their parts over prison phones.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:22 PM   #7415
Flasch186
Coordinator

I wish he would just run for President and win in a landslide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:53 AM   #7416
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...stamps-ending/

Articles like this remind me of my naivety. I come to places like this and talk and talk and talk about economic theory and taxes and social security and politics, etc. but everything comes from such a limited perspective. I just don’t know poor people. I mean, really poor people. People who have to choose which of the three meals that day they are not going to consume because they can’t afford enough food.

It is a huge enormous blindspot that I have. And I’m not really sure what to do about it.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:21 AM   #7417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...stamps-ending/

Articles like this remind me of my naivety. I come to places like this and talk and talk and talk about economic theory and taxes and social security and politics, etc. but everything comes from such a limited perspective. I just don’t know poor people. I mean, really poor people. People who have to choose which of the three meals that day they are not going to consume because they can’t afford enough food.

It is a huge enormous blindspot that I have. And I’m not really sure what to do about it.

We started to rebuild some fraction of a social safety net for COVID and there were some discernible results, especially from things like free school lunches, expanded Medicaid, and expanded SNAP assistance. But then the wealthy saw that it wasn't about keeping society from collapsing and thus putting them at risk, but merely keeping poor people from starving and giving them some tiny modicum of bargaining power so they weren't operating from a position of total desperation. And we just couldn't have that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #7418
PilotMan
Head Coach

As my Aussie friend says about their country.."we don't hate our poor people like you do."

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:29 PM   #7419
Edward64
Head Coach

I really like this idea. Focus as much of the $52B on R&D and domestic manufacturing. Assume it's legal to put in that condition.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/06/comp...ondo-says.html
Quote:
U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said companies that voluntarily agree to forgo stock buybacks for five years will get preferential treatment when the agency doles out $52 billion authorized under the CHIPS and Science Act.

Raimondo said stock buybacks is one factor being taken into consideration as part of a $39 billion manufacturing subsidy program. The agency, which released its criteria last week, is also weighing recruitment and training strategies as well as childcare benefits for employees, among other issues. The law also creates a 25% investment tax credit for building chip plants, estimated to be worth $24 billion.

The act is designed to spur domestic production of semiconductor chips and reduce U.S. dependency on Asia for the technology, which is used in everything from microwave ovens to automobiles. She said the program wasn’t a “blank check.”

“The law says that these companies are not allowed to use the taxpayer money to do a buyback or pay a dividend. Beyond that, we’re giving a preference to companies who voluntarily say they won’t do a buyback for five years,” Raimondo told CNBC’s Sara Eisen on Monday. “Why? Because this is about enhancing research and development in America. The money should be used to expand in America, to out-innovate the rest of the world. Invest in R&D and your workforce, not in buybacks.”
Old 03-06-2023, 05:20 PM   #7420
Edward64
Head Coach

Hopefully we're in contact with the El Jeffe and let him know that we'll really, really focus on his operations if any harm comes to the 4. Maybe send him a copy of Clancy's "Clear & Present Danger".

Have to believe Biden is going to try talking, persuading the cartel first. Maybe indirect payoff, prisoner swap but that would be bad precedent (if not already). I'd be terrified if I was in that group of 4.

Matamoros, Mexico: 4 US citizens were kidnapped by gunmen in case of mistaken identity, US official says | CNN
Quote:
Four US citizens were assaulted and kidnapped by gunmen in northeastern Mexico on Friday in a case of mistaken identity, a US official with knowledge of the investigation told CNN.

The Americans are believed to have been targeted by mistake and were not the intended victims, the official said. Investigators believe a Mexican cartel likely mistook them for Haitian drug smugglers, the official said, adding investigators have not identified any concerning criminal history on the part of the Americans.

The Americans had traveled to the border city of Matamoros for medical procedures, the official said, citing receipts found in the vehicle.

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador offered a similar explanation.

“The information we have is that they crossed the border to buy medicines in Mexico, there was a confrontation between groups and they were detained,” the president said. “The whole government is working on it.”
Old 03-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #7421
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hopefully we're in contact with the El Jeffe and let him know that we'll really, really focus on his operations if any harm comes to the 4. Maybe send him a copy of Clancy's "Clear & Present Danger".

Have to believe Biden is going to try talking, persuading the cartel first. Maybe indirect payoff, prisoner swap but that would be bad precedent (if not already). I'd be terrified if I was in that group of 4.

Matamoros, Mexico: 4 US citizens were kidnapped by gunmen in case of mistaken identity, US official says | CNN

Well Joe. You have an interesting decision to make. I'm thinking you'll be criticized for any decision though.

Quote:
The four Americans who authorities say were kidnapped in Mexico were located at what appears to be a medical clinic in the border city of Matamoros, a US official familiar with the ongoing investigation told CNN.

Two of the kidnapping victims were found alive, and two of them were found dead.

One of the two survivors is severely injured
, a US official familiar with the ongoing investigation told CNN.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #7422
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We are so fucked as a nation. The fact that anyone would even suggest Biden have any responsibility for this is insane. They did something risky and were killed.

Perhaps we should question why people feel the need to go to Mexico for medical care? Remind me again which party wants to gut healthcare even more?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:12 PM   #7423
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

No no. It has always got to be the Democrats fault. They went there because of Obamacare. If we just repealed that, they would still be alive. Yeah. That's it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #7424
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Well Joe. You have an interesting decision to make. I'm thinking you'll be criticized for any decision though.

It sounds like they went to Mexico for a medical procedure ("medical tourism").

What type of decision does he have to make? Force the state of South Carolina to better fund their Medicaid/Medicare/Obamacare or try to dump more money into Mexico to help solve their cartel crisis?

I can just about guarantee you that one party will have zero interest in improving the healthcare situation, in anyway, anywhere in the United States and I doubt there is a whole lot of appetite to solve domestic problems in Mexico when we can't get out of our way here at home.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:28 PM   #7425
Atocep
Coordinator

If Joe had just completed the wall that was totally completed by Trump and paid for by Mexico this would have never happened.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #7426
GrantDawg

Trump not too long ago said we should just invade Mexico. Maybe that is what they will start pushing for.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-07-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:36 PM   #7427
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If we invade Mexico, would we get better medical care? Is invasion a cost effective solution over just improving our health care?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:46 PM   #7428
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I like that Republicans would rather invade Mexico and pay more from taxes than just letting them work here and have private businesses pay them.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:00 PM   #7429
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If Joe had just completed the wall that was totally completed by Trump and paid for by Mexico this would have never happened.

Didn't you hear, Biden put the wall in hiding.

No shit, Trump actually said this.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:14 PM   #7430
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Didn't you hear, Biden put the wall in hiding.

No shit, Trump actually said this.

We need to get OJ to start looking for the missing wall.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:17 PM   #7431
Kodos
Resident Alien

Alas, OJ's hands are still full trying to find the real killer.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:51 PM   #7432
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
What type of decision does he have to make? Force the state of South Carolina to better fund their Medicaid/Medicare/Obamacare or try to dump more money into Mexico to help solve their cartel crisis?

Er no? I was thinking about something more tactical.

Possible course of actions for Biden to consider (or some variation):

1) Do nothing much. Say US will seek justice but really leave it to Mexico and hope for the best
2) Work with (or lead) Mexican intelligence, military, police etc. to identify and bring the actual culprits to justice
3) Work with (or lead) Mexican intelligence, military, police etc. to take down the cartel including operations inside US (longer term). This will serve as a bigger warning to any other cartel not to murder US citizens

My guess is he'll get GOP criticism on #2 for not doing more and/or quick enough. GOP criticism on #3 for not doing it quickly enough. And Dem & GOP criticism if #1.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:38 PM   #7433
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Lindsey Graham Says He'll Introduce Bill to Set the Stage to Use Military Force in Mexico

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-07-2023 at 04:38 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:28 PM   #7434
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, I guess that can be #4, the Clancy "Clear & Present Danger" option.

I'd think the GOP would support it but maybe get criticism from the Dems.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-07-2023 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:55 PM   #7435
Atocep
Coordinator

The war on drugs worked so well in the 80s lets take it international.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:17 AM   #7436
Hammer
College Prospect

Just listening to Warren sticking it to Powell. I fail to understand why the government is made up of people past their best. Surely brighter and sharper minds, grounded in the present and future, rather than the past, would be better served to take the country forward.

Whenever innovation and technology is discussed it seems this generation are lost, and just start talking about the past.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:01 AM   #7437
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Just listening to Warren sticking it to Powell. I fail to understand why the government is made up of people past their best. Surely brighter and sharper minds, grounded in the present and future, rather than the past, would be better served to take the country forward.

Whenever innovation and technology is discussed it seems this generation are lost, and just start talking about the past.

Because it takes a lifetime to accumulate political power

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:36 AM   #7438
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

Because only rich old people have power and money, and the young are just trying to survive right now.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:20 AM   #7439
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Government by the people means you are stuck with the bad decisions the people make as well as having the opportunity for good ones .
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:18 AM   #7440
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell hospitalized after fall

McConnell has fallen on his back an it looks like they're having trouble flipping him back over.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:33 AM   #7441
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In case you missed it, the GOP crazy has really taken over state governments.

In AR the governor signed a bill ending the practice of the state verifying the ages of employed minors.

The Senate in OK passed a bill establishing community boards that would have the power to remove materials from public libraries.

In MS the legislature has passed bills allowing the Capitol police force to have jurisdiction in all of Jackson.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:40 AM   #7442
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It must be liberating in a way for non-Democrats to finally get to do what they've wanted to do for decades but were afraid wouldn't fly politically.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:55 AM   #7443
miked
College Starter

Don't forget that Georgia is going to pass a bill to allow governor appointed boards to remove elected prosecutors and lowered the recall threshold to 2%.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:28 AM   #7444
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The depressing framing I heard was that conservatism started to conflict with democracy. And the right wing in America didn't even pause when it chose to try to destroy democracy in favor of conservatism.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #7445
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell hospitalized after fall

McConnell has fallen on his back an it looks like they're having trouble flipping him back over.

I'm sure there will be a 20 minute segment tonight on The Five about how he is too old to serve.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:19 AM   #7446
Edward64
Head Coach

Some details of his plan is already out there and aides admit it won't pass as is but a starting point for negotiations. Looking forward to the details and negotiations.

He looks good in RayBans.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:58 AM   #7447
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm sure there will be a 20 minute segment tonight on The Five about how he is too old to serve.
There really might be. As much as McConnell has ushered in the power that the GOP has, he is also looked at a hindrance to getting the real MAGA agenda in place. And the Democratic governor still has to pick a Republican to replace him by Kentucky law.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #7448
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Okay, I guess that can be #4, the Clancy "Clear & Present Danger" option.

I'd think the GOP would support it but maybe get criticism from the Dems.

I guess they read the book

Wvtm
Quote:
A letter claiming to be from the Mexican drug cartel blamed for abducting four Americans and killing two of them condemned the violence and said the gang turned over to authorities its own members who were responsible.
Quote:
"We have decided to turn over those who were directly involved and responsible in the events, who at all times acted under their own decision-making and lack of discipline," the letter reads, adding that those individuals had gone against the cartel's rules, which include "respecting the life and well-being of the innocent."

A photograph of five men face down on the pavement and bound accompanied the letter, which was shared with The Associated Press by the source on condition that they remain anonymous because they were not authorized to share the document.

State officials did not immediately publicly confirm having new suspects in custody.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:38 PM   #7449
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Oye mira, nunca pongo mi arma en ningún ciudadano
Old 03-09-2023, 06:25 PM   #7450
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The depressing framing I heard was that conservatism started to conflict with democracy. And the right wing in America didn't even pause when it chose to try to destroy democracy in favor of conservatism.

It has always conflicted with democracy.