Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #7301
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Kane could have buried anyone last night, why make it Balor?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #7302
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Because Heath Slater was busy? Seriously, what faces are left to bury?

The RAW roster is so thin they had to pull a guy who is still running for mayor of Knox County back in.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #7303
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I had heard that Nick Aldis (Magnus) was the guy that that Corgan was going to put the belt on to start trying to build it back up and it looks like that's true. Also, that CWFH ring looks to be the size of a small postage stamp. Is that thing 8x8?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #7304
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Because Heath Slater was busy? Seriously, what faces are left to bury?

The RAW roster is so thin they had to pull a guy who is still running for mayor of Knox County back in.

They found plenty of jobbers backstage to destroy at the end.

Terribly frustrating how short sighted their booking is sometimes. Having Emma look weak since she returned, then go toe to toe two nights in a row with your big new star is another example. Making Jinder champion, same thing. Just a little long term thinking would go so far.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #7305
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Gotta say this one surprises me.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...-emma-released
Old 10-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #7306
RainMaker
General Manager

Makes her matches with Asuka look odd. Shouldn't Asuka have just destroyed her?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #7307
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Apparently it's a contract purge, they're just doing it on a Sunday for once. Darren Young and Summer Rae both gone as well.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #7308
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Oh hey awesome Stephanie is back and now it's McMahon vs McMahon and get this she's threatening to fire people if they lose and I can't wait to see how [click]
Old 10-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #7309
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Live Audio Wrestling has been cancelled by the Fight Network. I've been listening to this radio show / podcast for years now. Very sad, something I enjoyed listening to, especially Sunday nights after PPV's. Hope the guys can find their next chapters pretty quickly.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #7310
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Oh hey awesome Stephanie is back and now it's McMahon vs McMahon and get this she's threatening to fire people if they lose and I can't wait to see how [click]

So much this. I turned it off the moment she went into being the same bitchy character that just emasculates every male on the show.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #7311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Live Audio Wrestling has been cancelled by the Fight Network. I've been listening to this radio show / podcast for years now. Very sad, something I enjoyed listening to, especially Sunday nights after PPV's. Hope the guys can find their next chapters pretty quickly.

fwiw, they just tweeted a few hours ago that it's "a short hiatus" and "returning soon wiht a new format"
Old 10-31-2017, 05:24 AM   #7312
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
fwiw, they just tweeted a few hours ago that it's "a short hiatus" and "returning soon wiht a new format"

Yes, but all the hosts of the show also tweeted that they have been let go from the show. Sounds like cost cutting measures.

At this point, Live Audio Wrestling is just a name, it's not the thing that I've been following for years. Kind of similar to Championship Manager getting bought out, and the developers renaming their game Football Manager. The company that bought them thought they were buying the leader of the category, but it ended up just being a name, the fans went where the actual game and developers went.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #7313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, but all the hosts of the show also tweeted that they have been let go from the show. Sounds like cost cutting measures.

At this point, Live Audio Wrestling is just a name, it's not the thing that I've been following for years. Kind of similar to Championship Manager getting bought out, and the developers renaming their game Football Manager. The company that bought them thought they were buying the leader of the category, but it ended up just being a name, the fans went where the actual game and developers went.

My bad, I thought that tweet came from the hosts rather than the brand.
I just didn't think through what I was seeing.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #7314
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Alpha v Omega @ Wrestle Kingdom? So is his contract up by then?

https://streamable.com/oijxe
Old 11-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #7315
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Probably not, but my guess is he can do what he wants at this point in his career, no?

Also, if there was ever any doubt that everything is a work...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #7316
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Not only Jericho vs Omega but also HHH showing up in an ICW ring. Pete Dunne first, then HHH around 2:45 or so.

Watch moment WWE legend Triple H shocks fans at ICW show in Cardiff - Mirror Online

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-05-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #7317
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure if it'll matter but I do think what Corgan is doing with NWA is interesting. Make people care about the people fighting is a novel concept.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #7318
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Corgan's tenure in TNA was the best they had done in years. Also, Magnus is a solid choice for the first guy to really put the belt on.

It's a super long shot, but I like everything I've heard about how he wants to try and pull it off.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #7319
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Ric Flair 30 for 30 airs tonight on ESPN. They're in full promo mode with him all over their networks and website today. Here's a solid article on the most iconic robes he wore and the matches he wore them for.

Nature Boy - The robes and stories of Ric Flair
Old 11-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #7320
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Significant WWE spoiler.

Spoiler

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-07-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #7321
RainMaker
General Manager

Rumors are that Hideo Itami is getting called up to 205 Live. Pete Dunne is appearing too.

Not sure why these two just aren't on the main roster. Never really got the appeal of Itami but Pete Dunne is really good. That match with Tyler Bate at one of the Takeovers is still one of the best matches I've seen WWE put on in forever.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #7322
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Owens had to leave the South American tour for "personal reasons" a couple of weeks ago and now both he and Zayn have been removed from the European tour. The apparent reason is they've both been pretty vocal about what's being done with their characters and apparently went into business for themselves on Smackdown yesterday (though I don't know when that was).

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...ort-work-shoot
Old 11-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #7323
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Rumors are that Hideo Itami is getting called up to 205 Live. Pete Dunne is appearing too.

Not sure why these two just aren't on the main roster. Never really got the appeal of Itami but Pete Dunne is really good. That match with Tyler Bate at one of the Takeovers is still one of the best matches I've seen WWE put on in forever.

Ya gotta like strongstyle, or at least the ROH version of it, to really get Itami I suspect. He's probably not able to use his best work in WWE (or now vs his prime) as frequently as would let him shine.

Total agreement about Dunne vs Bate. And I'm in the camp that actually thinks Dunne might actually be better, all around, than Bate. (though good Lord at the potential Bate has)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #7324
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, according to the dirt sheets, they were supposed to be on the receiving end of a New Day beatdown (to some degree). Instead of sticking around for that, they bailed and went to the back.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #7325
PilotMan
Head Coach

My dad went to high school with Flair, (couple years apart) they both wrestled.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #7326
RainMaker
General Manager

Owens and Zayn are in a good position. They'd probably make as much money on the indies and work less days. Have better creative control over their characters too. And for someone like Owens who has a family, that might be more appealing.

WWE seems pretty stagnant right now. Ratings don't seem to really get too good or bad. It doesn't seem to matter much what they do with storylines so maybe that's why they don't care. Any quality wrestler they bring in to NXT who makes a mark dies on the main roster. I'll catch a highlight or two on YouTube if I hear something exciting happen, but I haven't watched an episode of Raw or Smackdown in months now.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #7327
RainMaker
General Manager

I was also thinking that if both of them leave, there's some crazy talent on the indies. If ever there was a time for a money mark to step up and try to get something going on a streaming service or something, now would be it. On top of Zayn and Owens, I believe Daniel Bryan is a free man in less than a year. Imagine kicking off a new wrestling promotion and he's brought out?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #7328
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

WWE has no reason to change. Their quarterly revenue was nearly double this quarter last year. I don't understand how they're doing that despite lousy ratings, declining attendance, and stagnant network subscribers, but they are.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #7329
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
I was also thinking that if both of them leave, there's some crazy talent on the indies. If ever there was a time for a money mark to step up and try to get something going on a streaming service or something, now would be it. On top of Zayn and Owens, I believe Daniel Bryan is a free man in less than a year. Imagine kicking off a new wrestling promotion and he's brought out?

I'm not touching Bryan with a 10 foot pole. Absolutely no way in today's social climate that a guy with his concussion history and concerns is taking a single bump on my watch. I'm sure most indy promoters would use him without hesitation, but that's why they're the minor leagues.

Bringing him in as a legend to mentor younger guys could really work.

There is a glut of marketable talent out there right now. Can you imagine starting a new company with Zayn and Owens right off their WWE runs. Poaching a few folks off the Impact roster (since they're moving operations to Ontario). Then fill it out with a few decent indy names. Start with a roster of 12-15 full time guys, bring others in for short runs, and see where it goes.

While we're at it, would this not be the perfect time for Billy Corgan to make his first big move after putting the NWA belt on Magnus? Having one off title matches with Owens and Zayn would be a nice promotional piece afterwards.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-08-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #7330
RainMaker
General Manager

Well the TV ratings don't change the current TV deal. Maybe it'll hurt them in the next one but they're fine now.

Looking at the financials it just seems that cutting out almost all the original shows on the network made them a bunch more money. Subscribers were down a bit but it doesn't seem like anyone cares much about those shows. It also looks like they ran a bunch more house shows which probably sucks for the wrestlers but made the company more money.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #7331
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I'm not touching Bryan with a 10 foot pole. Absolutely no way in today's social climate that a guy with his concussion history and concerns is taking a single bump on my watch. I'm sure most indy promoters would use him without hesitation, but that's why they're the minor leagues.

Bringing him in as a legend to mentor younger guys could really work.

There is a glut of marketable talent out there right now. Can you imagine starting a new company with Zayn and Owens right off their WWE runs. Poaching a few folks off the Impact roster (since they're moving operations to Ontario). Then fill it out with a few decent indy names. Start with a roster of 12-15 full time guys, bring others in for short runs, and see where it goes.

While we're at it, would this not be the perfect time for Billy Corgan to make his first big move after putting the NWA belt on Magnus? Having one off title matches with Owens and Zayn would be a nice promotional piece afterwards.

He's been cleared by some pretty big name doctors. I still think his current situation has more to do with crowd reactions and what Vince wants than any concern for his health.

This is the company that just let Kurt Angle wrestle in a main event with his history of neck injuries. This is a company that was throwing guys like Sting, Undertaker, Lawler, Foley, and Flair out there well into their 50's and even 60's. Shane McMahon has jumped off the cell twice in the past couple years. A year ago their Summerslam main event was giving Randy Orton a real-life concussion in the ring.

They don't want Daniel Bryan as the crowd favorite. That's why he's not wrestling.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #7332
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They don't want Daniel Bryan as the crowd favorite. That's why he's not wrestling.

I believe it. He's in the way of Roman Reigns being the greatest babyface in the world.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #7333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's in the way of Roman Reigns being the grrrrrrrrrrrreatest babyface in the world.
\

Fixed that for ya
Old 11-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #7334
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Daniel Bryan says 85% chance he wrestles again, only 15% chance it's in WWE.

https://prowrestling.net/site/2017/1...s-cleared-wwe/

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-10-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #7335
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

While I assume he's losing the belt this weekend, Tim Storm got to do an interview about the NWA title with Rolling Stone.

NWA Champion Tim Storm on Working With Billy Corgan - Rolling Stone
Old 11-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #7336
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

And Corgan just did another interview that points towards a little more of what they're trying to do.

https://apnews.com/8a1d2572213b45149546bff484f7ac9b

Quote:
There’s not much to shape at the moment. The NWA champion is booked for a show next week in Nashville but there is no roster and no other champions. Lagana said the NWA hoped to sign about five wrestlers early in 2018. With no TV deal to produce needed revenue, the NWA will continue to produce digital content and perhaps find its future broadcast home on a streaming service. There are no scheduled NWA live events.

So...basically start by signing guys and booking them on other people's shows? Somehow parlay that into enough brand recognition to get on a streaming service?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-11-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #7337
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Corgan decides to run an empty cupboard dynasty, except with actual money.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #7338
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Former WWE Superstar Jack Swagger signs with Bellator MMA as a heavyweight
Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #7339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Props for Black vs Velveteen, not a bad match at all.
Clark made a good showing for himself in this, very NJPW stuff.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #7340
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I didn't know anything about them and liked it. The video promos NXT does blow away anything WWE does. A 3-minute video actually made me care about an undercard match. Not complicated stuff.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-18-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #7341
RainMaker
General Manager

Also that DDT Velveteen Dream does is a really unique way of doing it. Never seen it before.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #7342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't know anything about them and liked it. The video promos NXT does blow away anything WWE does. A 3-minute video actually made me care about an undercard match. Not complicated stuff.

The question my kid raised was "who did a better job -- in ring -- of telling their story: Black/Dream or the recent Tanahashi/Ibushi match" (which we just watched last night)

That's kind of a fair question I think.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #7343
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NXT War Games was ... well, it was busy. Not bad really, just kind of a predictable c.f. at times.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #7344
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'm hoping for the day that Vince is forced out or dies. What HHH has done with NXT is so far above and beyond Raw/Smackdown at this point that it's criminal to keep the big shows running the way they are now.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #7345
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Can't wait for him to get called up and no clue what to do with him so his career crashes like Prince Pretty.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #7346
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Can't wait for him to get called up and no clue what to do with him so his career crashes like Prince Pretty.

i was about to ask whom your referring too, but then i realized it all of them!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #7347
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
i was about to ask whom your referring too, but then i realized it all of them!

Clark. The Velveteen gimmick won't work on the big show. He's 22 year old so I can't see it lasting a long time. Maybe they come up with a new one when he gets the call up.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #7348
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I watched my first WWE match in a while, Styles vs. Lesnar.

As is usual in the WWE, one wrestler does all the work, and the other one gets the win.

My son says "they always make the big guy win".

And now I go back to watching good wrestling again after this experiment.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #7349
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I watched my first WWE match in a while, Styles vs. Lesnar.

As is usual in the WWE, one wrestler does all the work, and the other one gets the win.

My son says "they always make the big guy win".

And now I go back to watching good wrestling again after this experiment.

Eh, upper mid-tier G1 caliber match (just now watched it). That was on par with, say, Styles vs Magabe. And I wouldn't have any problem with that match, so I can't really have a problem with it here just cause I don't like Lesnar in the ring. Probably the best match he's had since returning.

They didn't bury AJ, in & of itself that's a win.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #7350
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NJPWworld has some of the recent RevPro matches up now.

Naito vs Scurll is not a 5* classic ... but it's a damned fine house show match if you go on entertainment value. Great job of giving the crowd a good time IMO, and that's something that sometimes gets lost when we discuss quality of matches/shows.