Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #7301
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Unless you're Donald Trump.

I'm sure he'll delete all his tweets now that he supported Gillespie

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-08-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #7302
cuervo72
Head Coach

Had to work in that golf course plug.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #7303
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Danica Roem wins in Virginia, becoming first openly transgender state representative - The Washington Post

The author of a trans bathroom bill in Virginia lost his seat to a transgender woman.

what a sweet victory for Roem.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #7304
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Unless you're Donald Trump.

CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #7305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Trump's (or whomever said it) comment about Gillespie not being Trump enough may not be as crazy as it sounds.

The young man (25) I mentioned seeking a state house seat here as an (R) ran to the middle, indeed his highest profile backers were the (D) mayor of Athens and a long-time black (D) county commissioner ... just got beat up by an underfunded 0% chance hispanic lawyer. He didn't make great use of his 3:1 warchest advantage, kept things generic ... and got his butt beat.

He underperformed Trump in both the conservative county in the district AND in the liberal home of the university. Turnout from the (R) side looks low, turnout from the (D) ran extraordinarily high (how much a local sales tax referendum played into that is still unclear, votes from around the county still being counted). His approach gave conservatives little reason to be motivated to vote, and it cost him -- and the party -- a seat in the legislature. The %s were virtually identical opposites in the 2 counties, the turnout difference was heavily skewed to the left, which is highly unusual.

Another curiosity about the results: vote totals swung way back in favor of election-day voting instead of early voting. Odd to see that happen when the trend has been solidly the other direction. Nothing to indicate anything untoward about that, the %s were consistent across the board, I just though the reversal of the trend was interesting from a behavioral standpoint.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-07-2017 at 08:45 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #7306
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Is there anyway at all that the UCLA shoplifting incident timed with the Trump east Asia tour will somehow result in a war of words between Trump and Lavar Ball?

Please tell me there is. I would find this immensely satisfying.

I second this.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #7307
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If you remember the news reporter that was shot while on-air, her boyfriend won a VA delegate seat.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #7308
cuervo72
Head Coach

Man. That seems like it was like fifty notable shootings ago.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #7309
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If you remember the news reporter that was shot while on-air, her boyfriend won a VA delegate seat.

Hurst won on a gun control platform in a strong red area. He's one of more than 10 first time D candidates to win in VA this year.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/politics...e099653f4.html

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-07-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #7310
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A few predictions based on tonight:

More on the fence GOPers retire instead of face this electorate

National Dems even more unlikely to compromise on anything

More GOPers, especially in the House, are willing to publicly criticize Trump

A lot of ugly GOP primaries in 2018
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #7311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Got some more of the local numbers in our little microcosm

It was, in the end, about turnout (gee, does that sound familiar)
Left county turnout was 26%
Right county turnout was 22% (and 12 & 11 in counties that have just a tiny piece of this district)

It should be a gotta-show-up wakeup call for the right in GA. No bets on whether it will be.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #7312
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Think of the message that Trump has sent to Republicans. Stand with him on policy and have him bad-mouth what you passed. Embrace his endorsement and see a loss followed by Trump playing down the endorsement. Embrace his endorsement and his politics, and see a loss and words of criticism.

Trump just made a bad night for Republicans much worse for himself - The Washington Post
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #7313
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Seems like younger voters actually got out. Wonder if they'll still be motivated in 2018.

Still think red states get redder over the next few years but those purple states like Virginia could see some upheaval.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #7314
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Still some uncalled races, but the VA House of Delegates may have actually flipped. Started at 66/34 R yesterday. Latest numbers look like 48/47 D with 5 uncalled/probable recounts. If they stay as they are, it's 50/50.

That's an enormous change in one night.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-08-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #7315
Edward64
Head Coach

On a side note, just my own observation and personal opinion ...

I used to enjoy watching Morning Joe because I thought they did a good job of presenting both sides. It's now bash Trump for 3 hours, and while I think Trump has alot more bad than good, its getting pretty tiresome.

And when I change to Fox and Friends for a "breath/change of fresh air", the word that comes to mind is "sniveling".

CNN was what I thought did the best job of "fair and balanced". I know alot of people thought CNN was bad even before but I never thought so. But its now leaning heavily left (although not as bad as MSNBC).

Taking aside your personal politics, has anyone found a "fair and balanced" news program (not necessarily channel).

FWIW, I also enjoy Colbert's beginning monologues & video clips, its pretty funny but there just tends to be too much, consistent let's make fun of Trump. Starting to watch Jimmy Fallon now.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #7316
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Still some uncalled races, but the VA House of Delegates may have actually flipped. Started at 66/34 R yesterday. Latest numbers look like 48/47 D with 5 uncalled/probable recounts. If they stay as they are, it's 50/50.

That's an enormous change in one night.

That's crazy.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #7317
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I used to enjoy watching Morning Joe because I thought they did a good job of presenting both sides. It's now bash Trump for 3 hours, and while I think Trump has alot more bad than good, its getting pretty tiresome.

And when I change to Fox and Friends for a "breath/change of fresh air", the word that comes to mind is "sniveling".

CNN was what I thought did the best job of "fair and balanced". I know alot of people thought CNN was bad even before but I never thought so. But its now leaning heavily left (although not as bad as MSNBC).

Taking aside your personal politics, has anyone found a "fair and balanced" news program (not necessarily channel).

FWIW, I also enjoy Colbert's beginning monologues & video clips, its pretty funny but there just tends to be too much, consistent let's make fun of Trump. Starting to watch Jimmy Fallon now.

I always say watch all the ones you mentioned for a clear picture of Washington DC. Fox shows you what really goes on with the Democrats and MCNBC/CNN show you the reality of the GOP. Put the two together and that is our government.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #7318
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I always say watch all the ones you mentioned for a clear picture of Washington DC. Fox shows you what really goes on with the Democrats and MCNBC/CNN show you the reality of the GOP. Put the two together and that is our government.

LOL, pretty much this, just knowing each will add a lot of hyperbole in their attempts to prop up and bash.

I also like to go to the Al Jazeera English web site, which I think is fairly balanced most of the time and I listen to BBC news as well.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #7319
PilotMan
Head Coach

Reuters

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #7320
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if this will cause Fox to back off attacking any GOPer that isn't 100% pro-Trump. I don't expect them to ever go anti-Trump, but just allowing space for GOPers to distance themselves from Trump could make a difference.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #7321
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I wonder if this will cause Fox to back off attacking any GOPer that isn't 100% pro-Trump. I don't expect them to ever go anti-Trump, but just allowing space for GOPers to distance themselves from Trump could make a difference.

Why on earth would they want to do that? They're not in the business of getting Republican/conservative candidates elected. They're in the business of making money for Fox News.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #7322
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I tend to watch/read the BBC as its fairly balanced in the main, I also enjoy the Guardian and the Telegraph as they have interesting articles but they lean somewhat left and right respectively.

If you're interested in bias in UK newspapers/sites this might be useful:

UK Newspaper bias chart

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-08-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #7323
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Why on earth would they want to do that? They're not in the business of getting Republican/conservative candidates elected. They're in the business of making money for Fox News.

But they're also in the business of friendly regulations and tax laws, and a Dem slaughter doesn't help with that. Like I said, I don't expect them to stop being all in on Trump, but perhaps they'll stop being all in on anti-anti-Trump.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #7324
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
But they're also in the business of friendly regulations and tax laws

Not really. Keep your eye on the ball here, people. Cash money, brother.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #7325
Edward64
Head Coach

CBO says $1.7T added

GOP Tax Plan Would Add $1 Trillion To National Debt | HuffPost
Quote:
The House Republican tax reform plan would add $1.7 trillion to the U.S. national debt, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

The CBO released its review of the bill, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, on Wednesday.

The figure comes in higher than the party’s own estimate of a $1.5 trillion increase.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #7326
miked
College Starter

My students are all freaking out because in part of the new tax plan, tuition waivers are considered taxable income. So if they are at GT and their PhD advisor is paying $20k in tuition annually, or tuition is comped by the University, it will be taxable income. Awesome for attracting doctoral students who are already paid minimum wage.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #7327
QuikSand
lolzcat

Old 11-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #7328
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

I guess the good news is we only get two more of these anniversary celebrations. He is such a vain motherfucker.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #7329
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm just glad that the DFA's moronic outburst had no affect on the VA Gov election.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #7330
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Satire (mostly):

Emergency DEFCON 1 Rating Declared As Trump Given 280 Characters On Twitter
Old 11-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #7331
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not really. Keep your eye on the ball here, people. Cash money, brother.

Yeah, but Rupert and sons have a lot more going on than just Fox News.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #7332
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
My students are all freaking out because in part of the new tax plan, tuition waivers are considered taxable income. So if they are at GT and their PhD advisor is paying $20k in tuition annually, or tuition is comped by the University, it will be taxable income. Awesome for attracting doctoral students who are already paid minimum wage.

My understanding is that this would also effect students who get free tuition as children of employees, so one of my main benefits will lose a lot of its value to me.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #7333
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
My understanding is that this would also effect students who get free tuition as children of employees, so one of my main benefits will lose a lot of its value to me.

Me, too. I've put two (and a half) kids through college without any debt thanks to our 50% tuition benefit. Take that perk away from many educational professionals, and salary trade off for working in the educational sector vs. the private sector starts to look substantially less attractive.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #7334
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Should be able to read this with a private window. DOJ trying to force TW to drop CNN before approving the AT&T merger.

US regulators demand CNN sale to approve AT&T-Time Warner deal

Here's the Politico version.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ump-cnn-244697

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-08-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #7335
Ben E Lou

Now this is, uh, interesting...

Frank Thorp V on Twitter: "👀

Sen @BobCorker announces Authority to Order the Use of Nuclear Weapons Hearing https://t.co/XKfnj5QyW6"
Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #7336
cuervo72
Head Coach

Not as exciting as Ben's link, but:

Is Administration Objecting to Big Merger to Punish CNN?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #7337
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

I know you’re looking for a program, but I saw this out on Twitter last year and the topic reminded me of it. May help:

BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #7338
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

CNN at the very least has moved quite a bit to the left since that graphic was made.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #7339
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw a chart where tax increases in the GOP plan equal 99 billion and tax cuts for the top 1% equal 100 billion. It's trickle up economics.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #7340
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A little late to the game, but I saw the perfect name for the Rand Paul/neighbor thing:

Atlas Shrubbed
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #7341
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
A little late to the game, but I saw the perfect name for the Rand Paul/neighbor thing:

Atlas Shrubbed

I have no idea what happened with the Rand Paul thing. But I have loved the two reactions I've seen from folks.

(1) This is obviously a cover story; no one breaks a neighbor's ribs over lawn issues.

(2) It makes perfect sense to me that you would break a man's ribs over lawn issues.

And both sides are being completely serious. It's definitely a "there are two kinds of people . . . " sort of thing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #7342
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have no idea what happened with the Rand Paul thing. But I have loved the two reactions I've seen from folks.

(1) This is obviously a cover story; no one breaks a neighbor's ribs over lawn issues.

(2) It makes perfect sense to me that you would break a man's ribs over lawn issues.

And both sides are being completely serious. It's definitely a "there are two kinds of people . . . " sort of thing.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #7343
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

great, great post here
Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #7344
QuikSand
lolzcat

Fairly long item here, but this guy (a NeverTrump R, btw) just crushes Carter Page and along the way the entire Trump battalion, part and present. Fun read.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare
Old 11-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #7345
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Fairly long item here, but this guy (a NeverTrump R, btw) just crushes Carter Page and along the way the entire Trump battalion, part and present. Fun read.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

Wow, that is one hell of an opening paragraph.

Quote:
Watching Carter Page immolate himself and incriminate a half dozen of his colleagues from the Trump-Putin 2016 campaign has been a strange, almost guilty pleasure. Profoundly disconnected, socially awkward, and reeking of late-stage virginity, he gives off the creepy Uncanny Valley vibe of a rogue, possibly murderous android or of a man with a too-extensive knowledge of human taxidermy and a soundproofed van.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #7346
mckerney
Coordinator

The Senate says they don't want to pass corporate tax cuts that will go into effect before 2019, Bill Cassidy won't vote on a tax plan that includes repealing the individual mandate.

Senate to delay corporate tax cut, breaking with Trump and House | TheHill

Tax reform by Thanksgiving not off to a good start.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #7347
mckerney
Coordinator

Trump claiming he doesn't have any time to watch TV because he's too busy reading documents might be his most absurd lie yet.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #7348
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Trump says he asked Putin again about interfering in the election and Putin denied it. Well, that's good enough for me. Let's move on to something else.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #7349
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Trump says he asked Putin again about interfering in the election and Putin denied it. Well, that's good enough for me. Let's move on to something else.

I'm just left now confused than every after Russia denied Putin denied it saying the topic never came up between them.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #7350
Autumn
Head Coach

Classic, every time Trump tries to brown nose Putin, Putin throws him under the bus. But Trump just can't quit him.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote