Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #7101
britrock88
Pro Starter

Probably the best fit out there for Idaho.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #7102
britrock88
Pro Starter

Okay, did just a little thinking about this. It could work. To get to 8 football-playing teams, the WAC would have to "call up" all 6 of the Big Sky schools that currently have FBS-level stadium capacities (15,000): Montana, Sacramento State, Portland State, Montana State, Weber State, and Northern Arizona. The WAC has a little something going for it in that Sac State and NAU are already affiliate members in a few non-revenue sports, so it'd be less than a total transition for those athletic departments.

Of course, this would leave the Big Sky with 5 all-sports members, and 2 football-only members. I don't know if the WAC's non-football schools (Seattle/Denver/Texas-Arlington) would be thrilled about being politely pushed out of the WAC and into the arms of the Big Sky to get it to 7 football members and 8 non-football members.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #7103
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Okay, did just a little thinking about this. It could work. To get to 8 football-playing teams, the WAC would have to "call up" all 6 of the Big Sky schools that currently have FBS-level stadium capacities (15,000): Montana, Sacramento State, Portland State, Montana State, Weber State, and Northern Arizona. The WAC has a little something going for it in that Sac State and NAU are already affiliate members in a few non-revenue sports, so it'd be less than a total transition for those athletic departments.

Of course, this would leave the Big Sky with 5 all-sports members, and 2 football-only members. I don't know if the WAC's non-football schools (Seattle/Denver/Texas-Arlington) would be thrilled about being politely pushed out of the WAC and into the arms of the Big Sky to get it to 7 football members and 8 non-football members.

They way it's being discussed is as a olympic only conference. Idaho and NMSU are not the priority here, but salvaging what's left of the WAC since Boise still hasn't gotten the nod from the Big West and Denver and Seattle are decent markets but lack football teams to get picked up.

This isn't about football at all though, at least from the outset as I read it. Big Sky schools could continue playing FCS football in the Big Sky. Idaho would go independent as would NMSU for the time being. Idaho still considers FCS a last resort and political will is to keep them in FBS somehow. NMSU still thinks it can land in an FBS conference somewhere somehow.

So this is about basketball mostly.

93.1 KTIK The Ticket - Boise's FM Sports Station

Quote:
Fullerton has hinted that the Big Sky might take a more proactive role in regards to the WAC, considering a move that would partially absorb the WAC into the Big Sky. The idea would have some current Big Sky schools moving to the WAC in order for the WAC to retain their NCAA auto bid.

The idea is an interesting one. If the Big Sky were to simply absorb all WAC members, it would mean quite a large conference, adding 4-5 new schools to a 13 school conference. That would mean 17-18 schools fighting it out for a single at-large NCAA bid. But in moving a few schools over to the WAC, it would mean (2) NCAA bids for the 17-18 total schools.

So for basketball, there would be two conferences. For football, there would be one. And for some of the other sports, when there are not enough members to have (2) conferences, there would be one.

For an idea of how things might look, you would have your existing (5) WAC schools (assuming Boise St. does not join the Big West), moving over a handful of schools to balance out membership.

]

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #7104
britrock88
Pro Starter

Interesting. Works out essentially the same except they don't "save" Idaho and NMSU football by "calling up" the FCS schools with the bigger football stadiums, and instead go by geography/whatever to get extra auto-bids. Clever, too.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #7105
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The Dude of WV on WVU: Big 12 Set to Expand in 2014
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #7106
tarcone
Coordinator

I wonder if the ACC will tell FSU to go ahead. After the PsU and UNC football issues, they may want to continue to de-emphasize football.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #7107
miked
College Starter

GT will not be leaving the ACC for the B12. Neither will the U most likely. Seems like the best fit there would be Louisville and FSU if that. I'm not sure what the incentive would be for any of those teams to leave.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #7108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I just don't see GT leaving for anything except maybe the SEC- tho we have more posters here from that part of the country with a better pulse on things. Same with Clemson.

Also, what will Miami be in a position to do this time next year? They're going to be serving year 1 of their 3 year USC-like probation. The only problem is that it's not like Miami was winning 11 and 12 games only to drop to 8 and 10. They have a lot of 5s and 7s in the last decade and that becomes 3-5 with sanctions.

I guess if the Big XII wants to offer FSU the Texas/Oklahoma revenue treatment, they could get them. I think Louisville tags along to be the second team of a two team deal because no one is rushing out to add Louisville and split the pot another direction just to add them.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #7109
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Georgia Tech has expressed interest but is thought to be more open to a potential offer from the Big 10.

But why would the Big Ten be interested in Georgia Tech?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #7110
Swaggs
Coordinator

"The Dude" was in a chat on the scout board last night and has been on about this stuff for awhile. Not much other than in that article, but he seems to think that VPI already has a deal with the SEC, but that the SEC doesn't want to be the first to act against the ACC. It was mentioned that UNC is also talking to them and that they'll watch out for themselves (many think they're stuck with NC State and/or Duke, but I guess they are looking out for #1). Georgia Tech and Maryland want out, but not necessarily to the Big 12.

I think the overall feeling is that anyone who is serious about football in the ACC has had it with Swofford and that he really screwed up with the last TV deal and the additions of Syracuse/Pitt (not that there is anything wrong w/ them, but that they didn't add any additional value to the TV deal). He is willing to give ND a ridiculous sweetheart deal, but even if they accept (unlikely), it won't save teams from leaving because it will just further minimize their shares.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #7111
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
But why would the Big Ten be interested in Georgia Tech?

Southern footprint? Buddy school to Northwestern?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #7112
tarcone
Coordinator

With the Leaders (or is it Legends?) division pretty decimated with the PsU and OSU scandals, I bet the B1G would be more willing to get bigger to make the divisions a little more competitive.
If Wisky has a bad year, they could roll into the B1G championship game at 4-4.
Im sure Delaney would not like that.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #7113
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but you don't make a decision like that based on a couple years. Penn State will take some time to recover but Ohio State should have their death star back up and running in a couple of years

SI

Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #7114
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Southern footprint? Buddy school to Northwestern?

Probably too far south. (And GT's academics wouldn't put it on level footing with NU, but that's just me being picky.)

Without any sources, just on my instinct, I think the Big Ten:
1. stays with these 12 long-term;
2. finagles PSU out and Notre Dame in (if they can reconcile); or
3. eventually tries for the 2-4 closest AAU members with the most well-heeled athletic departments.

Reading off the list, AAU members as close to Indianapolis or closer than Georgia Tech (that are already FBS):
Code:
Duke Georgia Tech Iowa State Rutgers Kansas Maryland Missouri North Carolina Pittsburgh Virginia Vanderbilt

Crossing this list with some ESPN revenue figures College Athletics Revenues and Expenses - ESPN, the richest candidates:
Kansas, $83M revenue
Duke, $68M
North Carolina, $66M
Virginia, $64M
Maryland, $60M

In this scenario, I'd bet they'd pull 2 or 4 of those ACC schools. (Remember that Kansas got an 8-figure BCS boost that year.)

---
Finally, a far-fetched thought: the B1G decides to shoot higher than Texas, and courts Cal, Stanford, UCLA, and USC.

All this said, though, I don't expect movement in the Big Ten until the 13+ team conferences fall apart in 5-10 years. Even then, I think they'd get the point not to expand. So I suppose I don't expect the Big Ten to grow for a while.

Last edited by britrock88 : 07-26-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #7115
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
With the Leaders (or is it Legends?) division pretty decimated with the PsU and OSU scandals

OSU isn't exactly hurt that much by the sanctions. It's more like a slap on the wrist. I don't expect Meyer to allow that much of a drop off.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-26-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #7116
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, this year all that matters is that Wisconsin is the only decent team eligible to win the division. I'd expect it to be at least a 2 team race after this year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #7117
Kodos
Resident Alien

Watch out for my Hoosiers! Dark horse alert!

Last edited by Kodos : 07-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #7118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Finally, a far-fetched thought: the B1G decides to shoot higher than Texas, and courts Cal, Stanford, UCLA, and USC.

Haha as a UCLA fan, to me, that would be nutty to see that happen.

It's an interesting thought, but my guess is that the B1G and the Pac 12, as long time partners, have longstanding agreements between each other (back room, nothing contractual) to not go after the other's school members.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #7119
bronconick
College Starter

Plus, that would ruin the Rose Bowl, which is pretty much Jim Delany's only reason for existing.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #7120
britrock88
Pro Starter

Maybe if the playoffs grow and obviate the bowls someday...

Or maybe if the Big Ten and Pac-12 someday find themselves with big imbalances in program strength, the top members will conspire together.

Not that I'm banking on it.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #7121
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Watch out for my Hoosiers! Dark horse alert!

Yep. They might be able to win 2 games this season.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #7122
Kodos
Resident Alien

You having to have a pro-Indiana sig come basketball season will be all the compensation I need.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #7123
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Do NOT look out of Kansas. Two wins seems about correct

SI

Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #7124
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't get the ND talk. It's not like the Big Ten hasn't wanted them all this time anyway -- why would the Penn State stuff change ND's mind about joining?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #7125
bronconick
College Starter

Delany on PSU intraconference transfers:"If they're free to attend Rutgers or Pittsburgh, they oughta be able to attend Illinois, Missouri."

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #7126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Delany on PSU intraconference transfers:"If they're free to attend Rutgers or Pittsburgh, they oughta be able to attend Illinois, Missouri."

I'm sure it was just a slip of the tongue. The B10 never considered Mizzou for expansion........
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #7127
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

March 1st, 2013.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #7128
digamma
Torchbearer

So says the Mayan Calendar.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #7129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Discussion on the Longhorn Network as it approaches its one year anniversary......

One year later, the Longhorn Network still creates frustration for Texas fans
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #7130
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

RIP to the WAC as a football conference, and possibly as a conference period:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/c...er-2012-season
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #7131
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
RIP to the WAC as a football conference, and possibly as a conference period:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/c...er-2012-season

That sucks. I have many fond memories as a kid growing up on the east coast of watching some late night WAC football. The BYU/SDSU shootouts when Marshall Faulk, Detmer, and Darnay Scott were there, plus Dilfer at Fresno and Stoney Case at New Mexico.

Very sad.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #7132
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have spent 33 of the past 38 years living in WAC country. My first job was at ASU stadium in 1975 to see their #2 ranking. Then I went to SDSU for school and watched them battled fucking BYU. The past 23 years have been living next to Air Force Academy.

Not going to miss what has become of the WAC but it they did provide very exciting football in the 1970s and 1980s (plus Marshal Faulk in the 1990s) while nearly everyone else was still playing football like they did in the dark ages of the 1930s.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 08-20-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #7133
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess college football will be WAC-ing off.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #7134
britrock88
Pro Starter

In smaller conference news (read: ping DC and dawgfan)...

Incarnate Word will make the jump to D-I and the Southland next season; New Orleans is set to announce that they'll also join the Southland tomorrow. Houston Baptist is rumored to be a potential 13th member for the conference.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #7135
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Incarnate Word will make the jump to D-I and the Southland next season; New Orleans is set to announce that they'll also join the Southland tomorrow. Houston Baptist is rumored to be a potential 13th member for the conference.
Guess I'm going to need to do up some more logo icons for FBCB2 then...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #7136
britrock88
Pro Starter

And I'll have to sift around and find the latest FBCB csvs to do a little tweaking... :-)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #7137
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Yeah, HBU already made (er..announced) their move late last year.

Houston Baptist Huskies moving to Southland Conference in 2013 - ESPN

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #7138
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw these comments from the new Big 12 commish......

Quote:
Bowlsby said the best way to ensure the league's long-term stability is to make the Big 12 into a conference so strong no school would ever want to leave.

''What we have to do is incentivizing people staying rather than penalize them leaving,'' Bowlsby said.

For those that weren't aware, the spur-of-the-moment announcement by Neinas a few months ago that all members had agreed to a 13 year Grant of Rights was very premature. In fact, there still is not a Grant of Rights and it's pretty well known at this point that the reason for that is Texas is not willing to agree to that stipulation.

It would appear that Bowlsby is setting the table with these comments to move forward without a Grant of Rights in place, mainly because Texas has told the rest of the conference they're not as ready to commit to the future of the conference as the other nine members are.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #7139
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And here you were saying you didn't care about the Big 12 anymore. It is clear why you didn't post a link to the article, so that you could make up your anti-Texas story line without having it torn apart by things like reason and facts. The reason for the grant of rights not happening is that it is tied to the new TV deal, which hasn't been completed yet.

Quote:
The league still has some work to do to prove its stability. But Bowlsby said the Big 12 is in the "late stages" of solving the final issues with a lucrative new, multi-year TV contract. That, in turn, will allow the member institutions to officially sign a grant of media rights deal that would essentially make their commitment to each other iron-clad.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby aims to alter perception of league - ESPN
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #7140
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And here you were saying you didn't care about the Big 12 anymore. It is clear why you didn't post a link to the article, so that you could make up your anti-Texas story line without having it torn apart by things like reason and facts. The reason for the grant of rights not happening is that it is tied to the new TV deal, which hasn't been completed yet.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby aims to alter perception of league - ESPN

We'll see if it happens. There's a lot of disagreement as to how that deal should be formed. I don't believe that Texas is going to be in any mood to agree to a Grant of Rights when all is said and done. I am impressed that Bowlsby had the guts to call out Texas indirectly in his comment. Bodes well for the other members.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #7141
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So his saying that the TV deal is the 'late stages' means in MBBF's world that there is a lot of disagreement, and Texas isn't happy, and that the new commish is indirectly calling out Texas.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #7142
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
We'll see if it happens. There's a lot of disagreement as to how that deal should be formed. I don't believe that Texas is going to be in any mood to agree to a Grant of Rights when all is said and done. I am impressed that Bowlsby had the guts to call out Texas indirectly in his comment. Bodes well for the other members.

Psst. Mizzou's not in the Big 12 anymore. You can probably shut up about that conference now, since anybody who has an opinion on Missouri leaving has, for good or ill, made their mind up at this point.

Move on so the rest of us Missouri fans can stop cringing every time we see a new post from you.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #7143
Swaggs
Coordinator

Yeah, everything that I have read is that the only hold up is between ESPN and Fox bartering for game selection in the upcoming season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #7144
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Psst. Mizzou's not in the Big 12 anymore. You can probably shut up about that conference now, since anybody who has an opinion on Missouri leaving has, for good or ill, made their mind up at this point.

Move on so the rest of us Missouri fans can stop cringing every time we see a new post from you.

Agreed. It's better to let Dodds, errrrr the B12 commish keep looking stupid all on his own.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #7145
cartman
Death Herald

The tone deafness is breathtaking. Just when you think MBBF can't be any more obtuse, he just takes it to another level.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #7146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The tone deafness is breathtaking. Just when you think MBBF can't be any more obtuse, he just takes it to another level.

That's why the rest of the world has the good state of Texas to tell us what's really going on.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #7147
cartman
Death Herald

Just when the chicken thought it was safe..........................
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #7148
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

+1

We are in the SEC now. The Big 12 did great adding two really solid football schools and the SEC didn't do too bad either. I like the old Big 8 schools and will still follow a little but the problems now belong to the KU, K-States, ISU's of the world. Any more complaining about Texas is just reaching the obsession stage at this point.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #7149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
+1

We are in the SEC now. The Big 12 did great adding two really solid football schools and the SEC didn't do too bad either. I like the old Big 8 schools and will still follow a little but the problems now belong to the KU, K-States, ISU's of the world. Any more complaining about Texas is just reaching the obsession stage at this point.

Sounds like a great idea. Now if only the 'leaders' in the Big 12 would subscribe to the same standard. Any more comments about Mizzou and TAMU leaving the B12 is just reaching the obsession stage at this point.

Quote:
Bob Bowlsby has come out firing as new Big 12 commissioner.

Stanford's former (and formerly laidback) AD lobbed not-so-veiled shots at Missouri and Texas A&M, the latest schools to leave the conference.

“I think it's fair to say that some [conferences] that have gotten larger are now wondering if it's going to be worth it,” Bowlsby said Thursday while visiting Kansas on a conference-wide tour. “There are complexities, especially regarding some scheduling issues, that have really caused some problems.”

“We're feeling pretty good about 10 [teams]. We're also feeling good we brought in two ranked football teams in exchange for the two that moved out.”

Big 12's Bowlsby calls out TAMU, Mizzou, SEC; so which conference is better off? - CBSSports.com
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #7150
SackAttack
Head Coach

Jesus Christ, asshole.

Can you knock it the fuck off?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote