Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #651
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Oof. Scored his first national team goal in his hometown area, then a few minutes later gets injured on a bad tackle. Looks like he is now out 4-6 months.

Sebastian Lleget out 4-6 months after foot surgery - Goal.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-28-2017 at 12:29 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #652
MrBug708
Head Coach

That's pretty brutal
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #653
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Pulisic sure is something.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #654
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For missing half our starting lineup (not an exaggeration) including 3/4 of our starting back line, I am definitely glad at the point at Panama (then again away points in CONCACAF are always welcome, considering the 'quality' of the pitches and refs).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #655
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
For missing half our starting lineup (not an exaggeration) including 3/4 of our starting back line, I am definitely glad at the point at Panama (then again away points in CONCACAF are always welcome, considering the 'quality' of the pitches and refs).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Agreed, I'd rather be missing starting strikers than back liners.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #656
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Glad to get the point, I guess, but I thought we were back to the same disorganized mess that plagued the Klinsmann regime - lots of wild, long passes that went nowhere, little coordinated movement on offense.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #657
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Oof. Scored his first national team goal in his hometown area, then a few minutes later gets injured on a bad tackle. Looks like he is now out 4-6 months.

Sebastian Lleget out 4-6 months after foot surgery - Goal.com

I'm already looking forward to the update videos that show him working out during his recovery with the horrible pun "2 Lletget 2 Quit."
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #658
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dog invades pitch and eludes capture in seven minute spree - ITV News

Ah, lower league footy (7th division england), Northern Premier League team Halesowen Town had a four legged invader spend seven minutes playing with all the humans who were kicking a ball around.

It turns out that the dog belonged to one of the players, who finally was able to snap a leash on the dog, and he was led off the field.

Actually, watching his moves, he might be the answer at right wing for Gareth Southgate...

No word on if the player... (puts on sunglasses).. ended up in the manager's doghouse.

A Pawse in play at the Grove: Un-Cut version - YouTube

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-05-2017 at 10:59 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #659
AlexB
Pro Starter

If only they had been playing Barking & Dagenham...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #660
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hoffenheim beats Bayern for the first time, but my Swans fall back into the relegation zone. Toluca leads the LigaMX Clausura table at the moment, at least and I suspect Depor and Sassuolo can manage to stay out of the relegation zone, though it'd be funny in a macabre way to root for multiple teams that fail to stay up.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #661
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not a bad goal in the lot for Spurs:

Tottenham 4-0 Watford: Spurs close in on Chelsea - ESPN FC
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #662
Critch
lolzcat

Brighton and Hove Albion are coming up, there, I've said it.

I've assumed they'd throw it away, slip out of the top two and then lose in the playoffs, but after this weekend it's going to happen. Brighton won at QPR yesterday(rode their luck a little to hold on at the end), then challengers Huddersfield and Newcastle Utd both lost today.

Brighton now 12 points clear of third place with 5 games to go (Huddersfield in third have 6 games left but the pressure has got to them) and all but set to take a place in the top division for the first time in 31 years. Will make a nice change watching on proper tv instead of relying on BeinSports to maybe show the game, or paying for Brighton's webcast.

Hope I'm not tempting fate.....
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #663
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Swansea looking not great, Hoffenheim likely to fall to 4th in the Bundesliga. Sassulo and Depor should stay up, but are towards bottom of their tables and Toluca still leads Liga MX.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #664
kingfc22
Head Coach

So does missing the Champions League finally get Wegner canned? Doubt it. This team needs fresh blood badly. Just look at Leicester to see what happened when new life is injected.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 04-10-2017 at 08:26 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #665
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So does missing the Champions League finally get Wegner canned? Doubt it. This team needs fresh blood badly. Just look at Leicester to see what happened when new life is injected.

My Arsenal-supporting friend is totally convinced that Wenger is going to be back next season.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #666
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have a friend who is generally decently well connected with sports rumors back home who says the same thing FWIW. I can't see it but he's convinced they are giving him an extension
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 AM   #667
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Wenger isn't leaving. He's got too big an ego to accept its his fault.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #668
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Dortmund vs Monaco postponed due to multiple explosions near the Dortmund bus resulting in an injury to Marc Bartra sending him to the hospital.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #669
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Coventry/Charlton game was interrupted due to a flying pig invasion.

No, this is not a drug fueled dream, it looks like fans brought a ton of pig toys to the match, and threw them on the pitch.

BBC Sport on Twitter: "Another pig-ch invasion.

Coventry's match v Charlton has been delayed after just 30 seconds.

More details https://t.co/7qUbnRnJxW https://t.co/QH5cj8nGhC"
Old 04-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #670
Easy Mac

Atletico benefited from 2 penalties within 2 minutes. The Osasuna keep saved them both. Of course, he's already down 3-0, but still deserves MotM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #671
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The Coventry/Charlton game was interrupted due to a flying pig invasion.

And now for something completely different ...
Old 04-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #672
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTF

Bastia-Lyon match abandoned after fans attack players on pitch - ESPN FC
Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #673
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Brighton and Hove Albion are coming up, there, I've said it.

I've assumed they'd throw it away, slip out of the top two and then lose in the playoffs, but after this weekend it's going to happen. Brighton won at QPR yesterday(rode their luck a little to hold on at the end), then challengers Huddersfield and Newcastle Utd both lost today.

Brighton now 12 points clear of third place with 5 games to go (Huddersfield in third have 6 games left but the pressure has got to them) and all but set to take a place in the top division for the first time in 31 years. Will make a nice change watching on proper tv instead of relying on BeinSports to maybe show the game, or paying for Brighton's webcast.

Hope I'm not tempting fate.....

You're not! Looks like it is all but official now. Pretty cool to have some new blood in the Premier League.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #674
Critch
lolzcat

It's officially official now, Huddersfield failed to win at Derby so Brighton have clinched an EPL place. Well deserved after a couple of playoff disappointments over the last few years.

Now they just need to clinch the championship, 7 points clear of Newcastle with three games to go.

Last edited by Critch : 04-17-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #675
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

it is official.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #676
miked
College Starter

So Bayern was a bit screwed today...
Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #677
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #678
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

yeah, totally fixed

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #679
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:

Ive seen this on a few other sites and it baffles me. How were they screwed? By Vidal getting sent off? That dude walks a fine line everytime he steps on the pitch. He could have been given his 2nd yellow well before he finally got it. Yeah, the 2nd yellow was questionable after 20 slo-mo instant replays, but when it happened live, I thought it was an easy yellow.

And anyone with The Diver Robben on their side cant ever bitch about getting screwed by refs.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #680
Critch
lolzcat

I would say Vidal was wrongly sent off (although he could have got a weak yellow card earlier), Casemiro should have been sent off (he had 2 or 3 incidents where he could have/should have received a second yellow), the Ronaldo goal that put them ahead was a yard or two offside, the Ronaldo goal to go to 3-2 was at least borderline offside.

Saying that, I watched the Nationals/Braves game last night so the ref's performance wasnt even the worst of the day.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #681
miked
College Starter

^^^ As was said above, Robben got a yellow for a flop in the corner that was meaningless, Casemiro had at least 2 flops and what should have been a yellow. Vidal may walk a fine line, but the foul that got him a yellow was absurd, he made no contact with the diver, and got the ball cleanly.

Oh, and Ronaldo was way offside on the go ahead goal. It was absurd officiating in the 2nd half and extra time that absolutely changed the entire outcome of the game.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #682
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Hey Mike, I agree in seeing the replay a few times that Vidal's tackle was clean. My point is that when it happened live, I thought it was an easy yellow. He has to be smarter than that (already on a yellow). I thought the ref did a fantastic job earlier in the 2nd when he could (and should) have probably got his 2nd yellow. You can imagine that Vidal was told "one more and you're done". And then he goes in with the high leg - it just looked bad.

Regarding the offsides, I dont see how any linesmen can get that right 100% of the time. With how fast these guys move and knowing the exact time the ball was kicked - almost impossible to naked eye.

The truth is that once Vidal was sent off, the outcome was inevitable. Bayern played with tons of heart (they always do), but RM has too much firepower to not punish a team of 10.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #683
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's literally the only thing they are looking for, it shouldn't be that hard. I've worked the line at a semi-decent level back in the day, not that it was champions league speed but still. I understand how refs miss things with so much going on but I have a very hard time excusing linesmen missing offside calls in most situations (assuming they can be in position and there's nothing blocking them, neither of which applied yesterday)

And really, there's no excuse for technology not being in place for this. We can have a replay on TV within 15 seconds showing the lines and the player being clearly off/onside but we can't take the 30 seconds to get it right on the field?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #684
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shout out to Leicester City for giving it a shot.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #685
miked
College Starter

As was said above, I'm not a Bayern fan, but I'm a soccer fan and I like to see great matches. That match was great and Bayern had the momentum until the series of bad calls. And they were not just borderline calls, they were really really bad. Vidal was nowhere near the Madrid player. I mean, I forget whether it was Casameiro or Asensio who flopped terribly in the box and got nothing, while Robben took a little dive in the meaningless corner and was carded (Robben is of course a serial flopper). Not to mention the tackle that should have sent Casameiro off.

And as for the goal...

Leo Messi on Twitter: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA RONALDO CLEAR OFFSIDE BUT UEFALONA https://t.co/78aiayu1Qd"

It was not bang bang, Ronaldo spent seconds in an offside position on the eventual winner. It was of course meaningless since Bayern were playing with 10. The refs took a close, exciting game and destroyed it.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #686
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quite an advertisement for VAR...
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #687
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Thanks for the responses Mike. I too was genuinely enjoying that game (flipping over to Leicester as well - wholly shit what energy was spent by the those guys). And I really hate to see the outcome decided by a red card. I must've missed the Casameiro stuff as it didnt stand out to me (not saying it didnt happen at all).

My only retort is that Vidal is basically playing college basketball with 4 fouls. And his challenge was at midfield IIRC and no threat. He didnt need to do what he did, with what was on the line. Its like a point guard committing a reach-in foul 80 feet from the bucket with 6 minutes left in the game. And the ref HAD to have told him on the earlier challenge that he'll get no more quarter. ANd he didnt.

As for the replays, yeah, I understand your point. On the other hand, this is what is making soccer more appealing to me. The constant non-stop play. Not refs going to replays and killing all of the game's flow/momentum every few minutes. Its a sticky topic.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #688
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
As for the replays, yeah, I understand your point. On the other hand, this is what is making soccer more appealing to me. The constant non-stop play. Not refs going to replays and killing all of the game's flow/momentum every few minutes. Its a sticky topic.

VAR seems to be very quick in testing and only for particular instances for where there would likely be a stoppage of play anyways (red cards, whether a goal was offside, etc).
Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #689
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
As was said above, I'm not a Bayern fan, but I'm a soccer fan and I like to see great matches. That match was great and Bayern had the momentum until the series of bad calls. And they were not just borderline calls, they were really really bad. Vidal was nowhere near the Madrid player. I mean, I forget whether it was Casameiro or Asensio who flopped terribly in the box and got nothing, while Robben took a little dive in the meaningless corner and was carded (Robben is of course a serial flopper). Not to mention the tackle that should have sent Casameiro off.

And as for the goal...

Leo Messi on Twitter: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA RONALDO CLEAR OFFSIDE BUT UEFALONA https://t.co/78aiayu1Qd"

It was not bang bang, Ronaldo spent seconds in an offside position on the eventual winner. It was of course meaningless since Bayern were playing with 10. The refs took a close, exciting game and destroyed it.
Vidal should have been sent off earlier on in the game, he had it coming, provoking the referee to give him a second yellow card. And Casemiro should have joined him on the sideline. This all to set up for the 10 vs 10 overtime this game deserved to become, preferably one where the assistant referee actually didn't fatigue and fail to flag Real Madrid 'goals' offside.

Oh well, it was an entertaining game regardless for about 105 minutes.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #690
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Take a look at the KNVB Beker (Dutch equivalent of the FA Cup) and you'll see soccer can work with video referees.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #691
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Amazing extra time win by Ajax; down to 10 men and down a goal in the final 15.

Last edited by EagleFan : 04-21-2017 at 03:45 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #692
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Dortmund vs Monaco postponed due to multiple explosions near the Dortmund bus resulting in an injury to Marc Bartra sending him to the hospital.

Islamic terrorists? Nope

Crazed Monaco fans? Nope

Investor looking for increased profits? Yes?

German officials: Borussia Dortmund bomb attack suspect acted out of greed - ESPN FC
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #693
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... that's all sorts of fucked up.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #694
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That Matic goal in the FA Cup Semis was ridiculous. Just about impossible to stop.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #695
AlexB
Pro Starter

No 'just about' it, the sweetest of strikes.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:52 AM   #696
whomario
Pro Starter

Pulisic with another nice game, Dortmund back in 3rd place after the horror that was the last 10 days.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #697
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Video replay plz k thx
Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #698
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hoffenheim qualifies for Europe at least, but would much prefer Champions League, so hope the stretch treats them well.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #699
Critch
lolzcat

Real Madrid v Barcelona lived up to the hype this afternoon. What a game.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #700
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Real Madrid v Barcelona lived up to the hype this afternoon. What a game.

This.