Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #651
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A couple of postscript notes from today's UT loss and why I said it seemed so familiar.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/...s/?partner=RSS

The Vols ranked last of the 65-team tournament field on 3-point shooting percentage – and yet 33 of their 56 attempts against Oklahoma State were behind the arc. They made 11.

Their inability to defend penetrating guards rose up to bite them one last time. Oklahoma State shot 56.6 percent from the field. Eaton, the Cowboys’ hero, was 70 percent (7-of-10).

Maybe this game was lost when the Vols were downgraded to a No. 9 seed on Selection Sunday. The 8-9 game is, by definition, supposed to be a nail-biter.

Nail-biters have been another of UT’s issues. Since Maze’s game-winner at Arkansas on Feb. 4, the Vols are 0-4 in games decided by three or fewer points.

I know Pearl has had success wherever he's gone, but it just seems like with that talent, Tennessee should be much better. His system doesn't seem to benefit good players. I think he's better off at either a mid-major or lower tier power conference school that can't land blue chippers.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #652
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wake clawing back into their game with Cleveland State- they ended the half on a 9-2 run but are still down 39-30.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #653
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I need Wake to win and Florida State to apply the throttle in the second half.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #654
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and with that little look-in on Wisconsin, I'm reminded how ugly mediocre Big 10 basketball can be. Good Big 10 basketball is fine but that's just ugly- 19 points at the half.

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #655
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I know Pearl has had success wherever he's gone, but it just seems like with that talent, Tennessee should be much better. His system doesn't seem to benefit good players. I think he's better off at either a mid-major or lower tier power conference school that can't land blue chippers.

He probably only has 2, possibly three, legit blue chip sort of players right now. Tyler Smith is a quality player at this level, Chism can be (minus his shot selection & taking the occasional trip off), and Cameron Tatum appears on his way to turning into one.

Beyond that, Tabb is a role player, Maze too often looks like a joke as a power conference PG, Prince is an Idunnowhat but whiny bitch with zero court sense and a sense of entitlement comes to mind, Hopson there's still some hope for but I'm neither entirely sold on him nor ready to give up on him. The rest are role players at best.

What most had in common were good press clippings coming in but there's not much evidence that there as good as advertised. There's a good bit of general athleticism but the almost complete lack of court sense is downright disturbing, it'd be hard to recruit a group that appears to have a lower basketball IQ if you tried. And I believe there's still some character issues on the roster, if not in terms of criminal behavior at least in terms of work ethic.

What has me concerned is whether Pearl actually has the ability to coach players up to the next level, or to coax them into performing in spite of whatever flaws they have. If he doesn't then he needs to recruit players without so many of those flaws but I'm not sure his ego will allow for that, although if it doesn't then his fate is already sealed short of finding assistants who can cover those shortcomings. He's been awfully good for the UT basketball program, something I don't think there's any denying but the question that's becoming pretty obvious is whether there's any more growth forthcoming or if he's essentially already reached the peak of what he'll accomplish there and is actually already starting down the other side of the slope.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #656
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
He probably only has 2, possibly three, legit blue chip sort of players right now. Tyler Smith is a quality player at this level, Chism can be (minus his shot selection & taking the occasional trip off), and Cameron Tatum appears on his way to turning into one.

Beyond that, Tabb is a role player, Maze too often looks like a joke as a power conference PG, Prince is an Idunnowhat but whiny bitch with zero court sense and a sense of entitlement comes to mind, Hopson there's still some hope for but I'm neither entirely sold on him nor ready to give up on him. The rest are role players at best.

What most had in common were good press clippings coming in but there's not much evidence that there as good as advertised. There's a good bit of general athleticism but the almost complete lack of court sense is downright disturbing, it'd be hard to recruit a group that appears to have a lower basketball IQ if you tried. And I believe there's still some character issues on the roster, if not in terms of criminal behavior at least in terms of work ethic.

What has me concerned is whether Pearl actually has the ability to coach players up to the next level, or to coax them into performing in spite of whatever flaws they have. If he doesn't then he needs to recruit players without so many of those flaws but I'm not sure his ego will allow for that, although if it doesn't then his fate is already sealed short of finding assistants who can cover those shortcomings. He's been awfully good for the UT basketball program, something I don't think there's any denying but the question that's becoming pretty obvious is whether there's any more growth forthcoming or if he's essentially already reached the peak of what he'll accomplish there and is actually already starting down the other side of the slope.

Maybe there is hope. The team you described above sounds exactly like the Florida Gators teams from 2001 til they won back to back titles.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #657
Thomkal
Head Coach

well after going perfect in the afternoon slate of games, the evening games are looking pretty ugly for my picks.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #658
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

While I agree with your assesment on those players, I still think it's weird he keeps missing with guys who everyone praises.

Hopson and Negedu were both blue chippers I believe. I know Hopson was a McDonalds' All-American and probably the best SF coming out of high school. I know they are both young and raw, but they just don't seem to have improved. I just wonder if Hopson had ended up with a real good coach if we'd be talking about him being one of the best freshman in the country.

And I don't follow them enough, but it seems like every year there is talk about the talent he has acquired. it just never seems like that talent develops into a great college basketball player.

I think Pearl will always be a guy who can get you to the tournament and win a game here and there. But I just don't think he'll ever be the kind of coach to get to a Final Four. I guess that's a decision Tennessee will have to make some day. Are they content with being a consistently good team, or do they have aspirations to take a risk at being great?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #659
Radii
Head Coach

Wake Forest is looking so sloppy. I count 5 turnovers in the 2nd half already. Cleveland State has a 17-0 edge in points off turnovers. Just terrible. Teague looks completely out of control
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #660
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

8-0 run for the Badgers to start the 2nd half. Thank goodness.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #661
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Hell yeah. 13-0 run to start the half.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #662
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Hopson and Negedu were both blue chippers I believe. I know Hopson was a McDonalds' All-American and probably the best SF coming out of high school. I know they are both young and raw, but they just don't seem to have improved. I just wonder if Hopson had ended up with a real good coach if we'd be talking about him being one of the best freshman in the country

Hopson's shooting is inconsistent, in part because his shot selection is questionable. Only 1 game in double figures in their final seven, but 6 of the 8 prior to that. I think he was overrated coming in but there's still room for hope.

Negedu is a different matter, with a number of people wondering why he didn't see more time, didn't reach double digit minutes in a game after the first week of February and only 3 times in the new year. Whether he was in the doghouse for some reason or if there was something else going on I really don't know. He seems like a good energy guy off the bench & one that could get better as opposed to Brian Williams who, bless his heart, is a good story for the massive weight loss but just isn't much of an athlete beyond taking up space.

Quote:
Are they content with being a consistently good team, or do they have aspirations to take a risk at being great?

I'd say that's pretty on target. I don't question the desire to being great but there's definitely starting to be questions raised about whether Pearl is capable of getting a program to that level. It takes more than getting the fan base interested or being a very good p.r. guy for the program (and himself) and it remains to be seen whether he's got that capability.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #663
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That was nice of Wisconsin to show up for the second half of their game.

I have that one on the computer while Wake-Cleveland St is on tv.

It's a nice pair of games to close out the evening

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #664
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh wow. And I hadn't seen but Siena made a run and that's now a 2 point game

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #665
Radii
Head Coach

jesus christ Cleveland State... amazing.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #666
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Time out, Wake! Cleveland State on an 11-2 run and now up 15 with barely 7 to go

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #667
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Damn, they took me to Ohio State-Siena. So the computer is now having Wake-Cleveland State. Bye, Florida State-Wisconsin.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #668
MrBug708
Head Coach

So Arizona might be gift wrapped the Sweet 16, wonderful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #669
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wake's almost to that "you have to play almost perfect from the 4 minute mark on and hope for a little luck to get back in" point

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #670
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Siena has life!

(Wake, not so much- down 15, don't have the ball, and the 4 minute tv timeout just hit)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #671
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sienna refuses to go quietly.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #672
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I could go for some overtime. I'm not tired yet and I have to be up and moving some servers tomorrow at midnight so, yeah, OT would work.

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #673
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Scottie Reynolds has a lot to prove in the matchup with Collison after struggling in the Big East Tourney and against American.

However, the key is going to be Cunningham and Anderson. Based on what I've read and what I saw last night, the UCLA interior is just not that good.

However, if both settle for jumpers (as they did in the first half last night) instead of driving to the basket (as they did in the second), UCLA could blow Nova out.

Collison still has the lingering affect of a bruised tailbone. As for the the interior, we have probably one of the most physical post players in Aboya, he's just not very skilled. Can hit a jump shot to keep defenses honest, but somewhat limited offensively. Great defensive presence though. Our PF spot is meh. Keefe can rebound and shoot the three, but just too slow. Drago is a great outside shooter and is underrated downlow, but probably the worst defender out of the main 8 in the rotation IMO

That being said, I cant imagine UCLA will hang for the whole game. Just too much inconsistency
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #674
Thomkal
Head Coach

Go Siena, salvage one of my picks at least!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #675
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So Arizona might be gift wrapped the Sweet 16, wonderful

What it really means is that Louisville is being gifted a trip to the Elite 8

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #676
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Anyone see the usher just yank the John 3:16 sign out of some guy's hand behind the Siena bench at the end of regulation? Looked a little harsh.

Good game though, sloppy, but good game. I'd like to see the Big Ten do well, but I'm hoping Wisconsin comes back so I can take OSU losing!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #677
Thomkal
Head Coach

Oooh looks like Wisconsin has come back against Florida State-another of my picks might be saved
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #678
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kudos to Siena and Cleveland State for keeping the night interesting, finally.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #679
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Wake will be my first Sweet Sixteen team out. Oh well. Saw some guy on the ESPN brackets has been perfect so far, but has Wake in the Final Four....that would suck.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #680
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Anybody noticing Wisconsin just down 1 with 1:29 left?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #681
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe it's time to put that game on my computer. Cleveland State is up comfortably with only 2 to go.

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #682
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

I've watched it. Seems like FSU gets a little lead and I think it's over and Wisconsin just keeps coming back. Good for them.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #683
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Make that Wisconsin by 2 under a minute
Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #684
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap, Wisconsin!

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #685
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The mmod delay is about 15 seconds behind. I turned it on just in time to see a guy hit a 25 foot shot with 1 left on the shot clock to take the lead for Wisconsin.

That's the highlight shot of the tourney so far

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #686
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Okay, what just happened in the Wisconsin game? Can't be cbssports to come up!!!

nevermind...thanks si

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 03-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #687
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You'd think these coaches of these damn plucky underdogs would watch tape of teams in previous years.

That said, Siena is not doing the "OMG, we're down, shoot a 3 way too early" model so far...so...good on them for sticking to the gameplan.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #688
Radii
Head Coach

that 3 for wisconsin to go ahead was a heartbreaker after 35 seconds of great half court defense.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #689
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dear CBS, don't be so transparent. We know you love the big schools, but relax. It'll be okay. They'll win in the end.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #690
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Two overtimes!

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #691
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Hey, who said Big Ten basketball was bad. Finally getting to see two good games. Hope they win at least one.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #692
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What ever happened to the split screen? CBS used to do that about 10 years ago, especially with situations like these

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #693
Radii
Head Coach

great end to the first round, this is awesome!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #694
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Hey, who said Big Ten basketball was bad. Finally getting to see two good games. Hope they win at least one.

I didn't say it was bad- but I did say how much I hated ugly Big 10 basketball like what we saw from Wisconsin in the first half.

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #695
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wake is out- our first big upset of the tourney!

I watched that game most of the night and Cleveland State was just in control all the way. Arizona shouldn't expect a pushover game or they're going to see the same fate as Wake.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #696
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Jesus christ... Whoever hits the button to switch games needs to calm the fuck down.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #697
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What ever happened to the split screen? CBS used to do that about 10 years ago, especially with situations like these

I was missing that earlier myself, but split screen doesn't sell ads the way MMOD does.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #698
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nevermind! Shot of the night!

SI

Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #699
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I didn't say it was bad- but I did say how much I hated ugly Big 10 basketball like what we saw from Wisconsin in the first half.

SI

True. Went to the IU-Wisconsin game. Wisconsin played one great half, and one damn ugly half.

Still, love to see them pull this off. Give the Big Ten some love, and give the ACC a 3-4 record in the tourney.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #700
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hmm ... maybe they'll put up six OT's between 'em.